Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2010  (Read 102850 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2010
« Reply #320 on: September 22, 2010, 06:48:15 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2010 brings back favorite sleuths with new episodes. See the complete 2010 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule

NOW DISCUSSING

A Study in Pink

October 24, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sherlock Holmes teams up with former army doctor John Watson to solve a case of serial suicides and corner a killer who has mysterious powers over his victims.

COMING

The Blind Banker

October 31, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Pursuing the case of a banker and a journalist shot dead by a ghostly assailant, Sherlock and Watson uncover an antiquities-smuggling empire.

The Great Game

November 7, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
In a gripping match of wits, Sherlock solves crimes at a dizzying pace for a mad bomber who threatens to blow up innocent people.

ALREADY DISCUSSED
List of series and episodes already discussed.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: September 22, 2010, 06:48:39 PM »
Frybabe, yes opera was definitely Morse's love. I too was wondering about Lewis going to the opera. Maybe it was the coroner's idea. I'm looking forward to seeing if other screenwriter's develop that relationship.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #322 on: September 22, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »
I did not get to watch all of the episode because my youngest daughter was spending the night with me and she want to watch of the Alabama Duke football game...So she told me I needed to go to bed because it was so late...Like a good patient I did what she told me to do...Joan G
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: September 22, 2010, 09:13:45 PM »
JoanG, it's so nice that your daughter was watching out for you.

The episode is available online if you're able to see it okay: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #324 on: September 23, 2010, 09:39:55 AM »
I started my first Wallender book of the three that JoanP mailed out The Fifth Woman.  This is a new author for me and I never saw any of the series on TV.  I'm enjoying the book and am looking forward to the PBS series.  It will be interesting to how faithful the series will be to the books.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: September 23, 2010, 10:55:57 AM »
FlaJean, that's great that you are starting to read the Wallander books. October is almost here and I know that many people want to read the book before they watch a TV or film adaptation.

I really liked the set of books we received from the first season. If I remember correctly, the PBS episodes did not replicate the books exactly. They changed quite a bit. Still, it was interesting to both read the books and watch the episodes.

The episodes in October will be shown in the following order:

Faceless Killers
The Man Who Smiled
The Fifth Woman

Since we didn't receive a copy of Faceless Killers, those of you who plan to read the books as well as watch the episodes might want to check your library to see if they have a copy.

Babi

« Reply #326 on: September 24, 2010, 08:32:39 AM »
 I am happy to say that my local PBS station will be resuming the Lewis mystery series this
Sunday...finally! 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: September 24, 2010, 11:22:26 AM »
Hooray, Babi!!

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #328 on: September 24, 2010, 12:26:43 PM »
My library does have Faceless Killers so I'll check it out.  I didn't realize that Faceless Killers was the first in the TV series.  Thanks, Marcie, for listing them.

Although I seem to have started with the last in the TV series list (The Fifth Woman), it was actually published first of the three that we received, according to the list in the book.  I am enjoying the book and getting a sense of the character, Wallender.  It will be interesting to see how the TV character compares with my ideas.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #329 on: September 24, 2010, 12:49:38 PM »
I'm glad your books arrived, Flajean.  I'm thinking that the differences in publishing dates might be due to the dates the books were translated into English.  I'm really looking forward to reading Faceless Killers since it's the first time Mankell wrote of Wallander.  I want to find out what event turned him into the "unusual" detective that we've been seeing in later editions.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #330 on: September 24, 2010, 02:48:04 PM »
Finally did what I should have done earlier --- looked in Fantastic Fiction to see the order of the Wallender mysteries. Here it is:

1. Faceless Killers (1991)
2. The Dogs of Riga (1992)
3. The White Lioness (1993)
4. The Man Who Smiled (2005)
5. Sidetracked (1995)
6. The Fifth Woman (1996)
7. One Step Behind (1997)
8. Firewall (1998)
9. The Pyramid (2008)
10. The Troubled Man (2011)

I assume that the dates are the dates published in English, and the order is the order published in Sweden.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #331 on: September 24, 2010, 02:52:48 PM »
Here's the link. Notice that Mankell looks exactly how one would imagine Wallender looking. I'll bet branaugh used that in his portrayal.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/henning-mankell/

I had guessed the right order, by ordering them by the "originally printed in Sweden" date. My daughter says "the third one is the best". That seems to be "The White Lioness". I don't remember getting that one in either set of books.

I've almost finished "The Man Who Smiled". I like it a lot.

fwige

« Reply #332 on: September 25, 2010, 03:54:36 PM »
I received the free Wallander set the other day. Many thanks for sending it (what a wonderful group that do that). One thing mentioned earlier somewhere was postage: where and to whom should I send it?

I really enjoyed the first taste of Wallander on TV last series, and I think Branaugh was perfect casting. Can't wait for this new series. However, regardless of how good it turns out to be, it'll not match the books. I don't find them excessively violent, or downbeat, or depressing; realistic as to the human condition, yes, but that's one of the things I like about them.

Anyway, I'm delighted to have found this discussion group. Thank you.

Floyd

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #333 on: September 25, 2010, 05:16:30 PM »
FlaJean, JoanP and JoanK, thanks very much for bringing up the issue with the chronological order of the books and the dates being related to the time of their translation into English. For our purposes, if someone is pressed for time, it might make sense to read the three books that are related to the upcoming episodes in the order the episodes will be shown. Then we'll be able to talk about the episodes and books without concern that we're spoiling the story for someone who plans to read it but hasn't yet.

Fwige, welcome!! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the last Wallander TV series and the books. I did too. I agree with  your assessment of the books.

In the envelope with the books, you should have found a paper with Joan Pearson's address on it. She is the person to whom you should send the $4.95 for the books. If you can't find her mailing address, you can email her for it at jonkie@verizon.net

I look forward to our talking about Faceless Killers after the broadcast of the episode on October 3.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #334 on: September 25, 2010, 07:34:29 PM »
fwige: WELCOME, WELCOME!

If you like other mysteries, come join us in the Mystery corner, and tell us what you are reading.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=807.1320

Frybabe

« Reply #335 on: September 25, 2010, 09:19:38 PM »
Welcome, Fwige! It's a pleasure to meet you.

nlhome

« Reply #336 on: September 27, 2010, 08:19:09 PM »
I watched the last Inspector Lewis last night. For some reason it seemed to move faster than the previous episodes, enough so that my husband, who dislikes anything with the British accent, actually watched part of it. 

Babi

« Reply #337 on: September 28, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
 My local PBS is making up for lost time.  They ran two Lewis episodes Sunday night and two
more Monday night.  I saved the last one for today.  Dessert, I suppose, as I have definitely
been feasting!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #338 on: September 28, 2010, 09:32:01 PM »
I watched the one Sunday as well. I missed the first few minutes, just enough to leave me confused as to who was who.

Babi

« Reply #339 on: September 29, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
 It does take a while to get everyone sorted out, doesn't it?  I've learned with these series to
try to get as many as possible firmly fixed in my mind ASAP.  It makes it easier

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #340 on: September 29, 2010, 12:13:32 PM »
It was a little confusing, but I think I got it sorted out in the end.  It wasn't one of my favorites.

salan

« Reply #341 on: September 29, 2010, 06:10:02 PM »
I enjoyed the program, but found it a little more confusing than some of the others.  I DVR'd it so I can re-watch it at my leisure.  It seems to me like a lot of the BBC programs skip several steps; so that the conclusion is sometimes confusing.  Oh the whole, though, they are very well worth watching in spite of skipped steps!
Sally

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #342 on: September 30, 2010, 03:22:49 PM »
Picked up my copy of Faceless Killers from the library this morning.  Will start it today.  Thanks, Marcie, for the email reminder as it had slipped my mind. :)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #343 on: October 01, 2010, 11:02:14 AM »
I'm not sure about the last Inspector Lewis this season. I was interrupted by a phone call during the last ten minutes so I had to watch the ending online. That may have affected my feelings about it. I agree with what you said, salan, and I do like this series. I see they are trying to stay away from the most famous actor being the culprit this season which is good.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #344 on: October 01, 2010, 11:03:41 AM »
FlaJean, I'm glad you found Faceless Killers at your library. I think you'll get a good feel for the type of person Wallander is from this first novel that features  him.

mrssherlock

« Reply #345 on: October 01, 2010, 09:21:54 PM »
Such a relief to have pledge drive end and go back to regular programming.  Sgt. Hathaway and his guitar, Inspector lewis and the opera, they're getting more character definition with each show.

PS: Got my computer back, it had a serious case of mal-ware.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #346 on: October 01, 2010, 10:58:53 PM »
I'm so glad you have your computer back, Jackie. It is fun to learn more details about these characters.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #347 on: October 02, 2010, 09:16:29 AM »
Looks like I will not have the book before the show.  We only own two ( or is it eight?)but whatever, they are all out or on reserve. 

Did you all watch the Lewis shows?  I miss Morse but these seemed decent enough to pass the time with.  Better than some of the stuff on network and cable. 

Did you see that Masterpiece is bringing back Sherlock Holmes with a new actor playing Sherlock?  I liked the most recent actor, Jeremy Brett, but he died in the '90's.  I am hoping that the new ones are as good as Brett's.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #348 on: October 02, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »
Annie, I'm sorry you won't have the book before the episode tomorrow but the episode should be good.

We have been watching the Inspector Lewis series and most of us enjoyed it.

I really liked Jeremy Brett's portrayal of Sherlock Holmes. It was quite idiosyncratic and dramatic and very entertaining. I recognize the actor playing Sherlock Holmes in the upcoming PBS series from somewhere but can't remember where. I don't think it was in the roles cited in the following article about Benedict Cumberbatch (what a name!): http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/02/23/pbs-launching-new-sherlock-holmes

EDIT: I tracked down why I remember Benedict Cumberbatch. He was Bernard (the husband) in the PBS broadcast of Small Island that we watched and discussed in April of this year. See http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/smallisland/characters.html

serenesheila

« Reply #349 on: October 02, 2010, 10:30:51 PM »
I have been reading "Faceless Killers", and enjoying iit.  I may not finish it by tomorrow, so I will record the PBS show and watch it as soon as I finish the book.  I like the author's style of writing.  He certainly has me guessing.

Sheila

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #350 on: October 02, 2010, 11:37:26 PM »
Sheila, that's a good idea to record the episode since you're close to finishing the book.

Starting tomorrow (Sunday) evening after the episode, we'll be talking about the episode and book, Faceless Killers and will continue all week. Everyone who plans to watch the program or read the book but hasn't done so should be careful in reading the messages here so you don't hear about the ending. Maybe we can all write "SPOILER ALERT" in our messages if we give away important clues to the ending.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #351 on: October 03, 2010, 05:32:19 PM »
I finished Faceless Killers and am looking forward to tonight's episode.  I noticed in the chronological listing in one of the books that there is a Kurt and Linda Wallender mystery.  I checked it out (Before the FRost) and I'll read it when I get finished with The Smiling Man (the best Wallender so far IMO)

Babi

« Reply #352 on: October 04, 2010, 09:22:16 AM »
 I tried again to watch a Wallender film, but I just didn't want to stick with it.  Same happened
the last (first) time I started one.  I think I figured out why I don't like them.  Too consistently
gloomy.  In most films dealing with police work, you see people who have to step away from
the constant tragedy from time to time, to speak of everyday things, josh one another, make
a joke and laugh.  The Wallender films have no 'up'; it's all 'down'.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #353 on: October 04, 2010, 11:56:48 AM »
I watched "Faceless Killers" last night and I noticed that in the previews for the next Wallendar episode continues Wallendar's problem with having killed another human being.  His guilt or depression from this episode might be in all three.  Never was able to get the book. 

This show had some weird still shots that I didn't understand.  I am actually going to watch it over on my computer sometime today to see if I can find the connection to these stills and the story.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

dean69

« Reply #354 on: October 04, 2010, 12:02:57 PM »
Wallender seems like a real person with all the problems that surround people.  However, he does appear to have more than most.  Last night's story, "Faceless Killers," was somewhat puzzling to me.  I'm not sure what happened or who the perpetrators were.  I did tape it though, so perhaps on the rerun it will become clearer .

Phyll

« Reply #355 on: October 04, 2010, 12:17:53 PM »
Oh, Babi, thank you!  I was feeling such a contrarian because it seemed everyone here thinks so highly of Wallender and I'm really so turned off by the whole series.....especially last night.  This extreme angst over killing a criminal and his statement that he never thought he would have do to that.  Well, why did he become a policeman, for heaven's sake.  Didn't he know that the possibility would always exist?  I'm sorry, but this is just too depressing for me.  And, yes, gloomy!  Even the countryside is gloomy!
phyllis

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #356 on: October 04, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »
I've read 4 Wallender books now and last night's series had incidents from different books and the incidents were treated differently than the books, especially the incident with his father.  In my opinion the books are better than the TV series.  My husband commented last night that he might have enjoyed it more if he hadn't read the book first.

I think good lighting would make a difference in many of those scenes.  Surely, all the police offices and houses aren't that dark and dreary looking.  The lighting is one of the reasons I don't like old black and white films.  Every thing looks so dark and dreary.  In a book my imagination makes up for that.  ;)

Frybabe

« Reply #357 on: October 04, 2010, 02:28:22 PM »
It has been a while since I read the book, but it seems to me a lot was changed in the film. I actually thought Branagh played Wallander a little less depressive and more driven in this one. Most of the other characters weren't given much to do.

Thank you Jean. I thought I was imagining things.

Almost forgot - They did a good job of casting David Warner as Wallander's Dad. There is a facial resemblance, don't you think?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #358 on: October 04, 2010, 03:21:33 PM »
My local PBS station (KCET in Los Angeles) has just changed Masterpiece Mystery from Sunday to Thursday night, running old movies on Sunday. So I will always be behind the rest of you in discussions. GGGRRRRR.

But don't wait for me. I don't have faceless killers, but have finished the other two books (The Man Who Smiled and The Fifth Woman) so being behind won't spoil the plot. I liked them both.

FLA: I agree with you. The books could be dark and gloomy, but our imagination lightens them.

Later in the series, Wallender takes a vacation in Italy, and immediately brightens up (only briefly, of course). They all have SADD from the lack of sunlight!!!

serenesheila

« Reply #359 on: October 05, 2010, 03:02:04 AM »
Well, I have finished "Faceless Killers", and watched PBS's version of the book.  I enjoyed reading the book.  However, IMO, the progress from Chapter 3, to the epilogue, seemed much too brusque, to me.  There were much too many loose ends when the book ended.

I was disappointed in the PBS version.  It had little in common with the book.  It also seemed darker to me, than the book had.  In the book Wallender was a young man.  He had a girl friend named Mona.  His mentor was an experienced investigator.  Et cetra.

In my lifetime books, films and TV about Sweden, have been depressing.  I think this week I will not read "The Man Who Smiled".  I will wait until after viewing the PBS version.  See if I like it.  Then, read the book.

Sheila