Author Topic: Poetry Page  (Read 683397 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: Poetry Page
« Reply #3920 on: July 04, 2016, 03:22:19 AM »
Our Poetry Page Reads
Shakespeare Sonnets

2016 the world commemorates
400 years since the death of William Shakespeare.

April, 1616. A man died, but a legacy was born; one which proved
so essential not only to the development of
drama and literature, but to language, to thoughts and ideas.

A Sonnet a Day
July 1, till December 1,
We read in order, from 1 to 154
A Shakespeare Sonnet each day.

Welcome
Please share your comments about the day's Sonnet.

Link: First Post of Our Discussion on July 1

Shakespeare Anniversary Links
Discussion Leaders: Barb
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3921 on: July 04, 2016, 03:29:58 AM »
Shakespeare Sonnet IV

Unthrifty loveliness, why dost thou spend
Upon thyself thy beauty's legacy?
Nature's bequest gives nothing but doth lend,
And being frank, she lends to those are free.
Then, beauteous niggard, why dost thou abuse
The bounteous largess given thee to give?
Profitless usurer, why dost thou use
So great a sum of sums, yet canst not live?
For having traffic with thyself alone,
Thou of thyself thy sweet self dost deceive.
Then how, when Nature calls thee to be gone,
What acceptable audit canst thou leave?
   Thy unused beauty must be tomb'd with thee,
   Which, used, lives th' executor to be.

William Shakespeare's Sonnet 4, read by Jamie Muffett.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PilUSrdYKQM
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Leah

« Reply #3922 on: July 04, 2016, 11:14:12 AM »
S's writings seemed so obscure to me when I was younger, and now they give up more meaning and sense than I expected.

This sonnet, too, seems to me to be addressed to a male rather than a female (as the accompanying image suggests). S's speaker keeps hammering away at this theme/criticism/point of view from one sonnet to the next. It is amazing that he found so many ways to repeat the same message. Someone must not be listening which makes me wonder if it is a young person intent on his own way, or just oblivious to the info being offered. This last makes sense to ME since, as I stated at the start that S. was quite beyond my grasp when I was a young person. 🤔

The use of the many references to money-related terms certainly strips it of any association to romance or love. Unless you count the 'self-love' hinted at by "...having traffic with thyself alone,..."

The use of the terms "loveliness" and "beauty's legacy" in those days must have been equally descriptive of men and women - we might refer to a beautiful boy in referencing physical beauty/attractiveness; in my circles calling someone a beautiful man is more likely drawing attention to the intrinsic qualities he possesses that are more feminine in nature: gentle, tender, thoughtful, etc.

bellamarie

« Reply #3923 on: July 04, 2016, 11:39:36 AM »
I have a very busy day today but wanted to pop in since I was gone all day yesterday.  One thing I realized for myself is in reading these Sonnets, NOT t read anyone else's posts before reading and posting my own thoughts. I like feeling the poem with NO preconceived notion, definition of words or another's feelings.  It's really fun experiencing them as a the novice I am, and allowing just myself to read, think, feel and express what is happening at this very moment of reading it. 

I'm really enjoying these very much!!  Be back later after all the July 4th celebrating.  Happy 4th to everyone!
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #3924 on: July 04, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »
I agree Leah.  I wondered when I was young what was so special about the sonnets.  They were hard to understand and I really couldn't figure them out very well.  A friend helped me write an essay for my lit class on the sonnet that has the phrase "bare ruined choirs" in it. When I couldn't figure out what it meant, she went through the sonnet explaining the images to me.  How the heck did I write a paper on something that I didn't get?  Do you suppose "life's experience" brings more meaning and relevance to them?

In Sonnet IV there seems to be some expectation that beauty is to be used in some way other than pleasing oneself.  So, I am guessing that one must not just masturbate but must attract a man or a woman who will  bear your child or give you a child.  Otherwise your beauty has been wasted and will go to the tomb with you..  The implication here through all we have read so far is that to not bear children was to waste your life.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3925 on: July 04, 2016, 08:01:57 PM »
I'm with you Leah "S's speaker keeps hammering away at this theme/criticism/point of view from one sonnet to the next." Golly - I had no idea there were that many arguments to be made to convince someone their only worth on this earth was to bare children. Now this attitude, that still thrives among those from the Middle East ties it together making sense. I may not agree but then, I am lucky to be living in the west at this time in history when our worth is not measured only by our having children.

But to the poetry - Yes, good thought, Shakespeare does not seem as difficult as it was to us when we were younger - I wonder if part of that was not only our trying to measure up for a good grade as well as, not reading it for enjoyment or - I remember actors going on about how difficult and now I wonder if that was affectation - In other words an ego thing where they have to lay it on thick about the difficulty of doing Shakespeare which then kept the plays in the highest echelon of goal setting for an actor.

But then, fair is fair and my thought is that as we age we've read so many books and are aquatinted with more and more words so that we not only do not shy from new words but we can see the connections to other words and so we can dope it out. I also think it helps not to be reading poems without the sing song mannerism many of us used and was considered acceptable as we read poetry aloud. Well whatever the reason Leah, I am glad you are finding it an easier read.

Yep, for sure Bellemarie - to have that fresh new read so we can detect for ourselves what is being said and almost like walking through a garden in a park - we can stop and enjoy and question the names of flowers and other plants that catch our eye at our own pace. Sounds good that you are reading the Sonnets for your own enjoyment and understanding - great...!

Oh lordy Karen the dreaded class essay - well you are with us so you pulled through. "bare ruined choirs" was it ;) we will have to remember when we get to Sonnet 77 that it was your school essay nemesis.

"In Sonnet IV there seems to be some expectation that beauty is to be used in some way other than pleasing oneself." Yes Karen, and I have mixed attitudes - not feelings because feelings depend on which take is used.

In one breath it sounds like - baby making is all we are good for - our only value or worth - the only thing important in our life which was/is to use our beauty to pass on to the next generation because if we do not than we do not have any worth at all. No matter the gardens we tend and create, or the needlework we stitch or the joy we encourage in a household - none of that matters unless we have children.

Then in the other breath I think beauty is a gift and like finding a penny, it only brings luck when you pass it on, so that to pass on this gift seems noble and a loving thing to do.

I also like the line "Nature's bequest gives nothing but doth lend," which yes, is like yesterday's Sonnet about the wrinkles of age taking over the beauty of youth but it says "lend" which to me is special - thinking how often something you would like to borrow and there is no one that has it to lend - so I am back to Nature bequeathing a gift of beauty even if it is for lend. 

Also I wonder, the poor souls - the women who are barren - were they considered a waste - there was Henry the VIII, not only setting aside a loved first wife because she was barren but then, off came their heads if they did not produce a son.  I cannot believe he was the only one on earth with this attitude or that it was reserved just for kings. No wonder the saying, "keep them barefoot and pregnant" - the implications of that saying are monstrous when you realize barefoot was not much different than tying a pet dog up with a leach. 

Reading this it is too easy for me to go off on a tangent. It takes me a minute or so to accept that is the way it was and so I may as well get on with it.

I do think this Sonnet was a smoother read - somehow it flowed and the words we no longer regularly use were not so foreign. I must say though, I was fine and thought it lovely till the phrase "Profitless usurer,". That was when my heckles rose from the back of my neck right into my head -  ;D :D probably my blood pressure :P shooting up - anyhow all fun aside - that was a low blow - calling a women and a pretty young thing at that a "usurer" - grrrr.

And so like you Leah, not only was there no romance it was down right insulting - and he wants to have babies with her???? Sheesh...! And then he tops it off with "What acceptable audit canst thou leave?" I would give him an audit - send him packing with such a smile he would never know what hit him. No Romeo is he...!

Haha the poem brings inner fireworks on the 4th of July - oh oh oh life can really be funny at times.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3926 on: July 04, 2016, 08:07:11 PM »
One thing I realized for myself is in reading these Sonnets, NOT to read anyone else's posts before reading and posting my own thoughts. I like feeling the poem with NO preconceived notion, definition of words or another's feelings.
Bellamarie, I totally agree with you.  I'm doing the same thing.  These are multilayered poems, and we all pull different things out of them.  If you read someone else's interpretation first, it may distract you from seeing what you are attuned to see in the poem, and you miss your unique view.  If someone else says something you didn't think of, you can either decide you think they're wrong or see how it fits into what you think.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3927 on: July 04, 2016, 08:19:06 PM »
PatH you posted while I was cleaning up my post - I do that - I think I am saying what is on my mind and then when it is in post form even if I had it in Word, once it hits the page the post is not as clearly saying what I want to say - so I am correcting and changing phrases and and and - and did not notice you had joined us -

I am glad you picked up on what Bellamarie is doing for herself - sounds good doesn't it - we can so easily give more attention agreeing or disagreeing with the idea of another poster that we loose that fresh read and our own reaction.

Hope you and Joan can see the poems clearer with the new format - looking forward to your impressions...

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3928 on: July 04, 2016, 08:51:05 PM »
Barb, you were posting while I was writing.  These first sonnets, and those for a while more, seem to be variations on the same story.  Beauty (probably moral as well as physical) is both admirable and important.  Beauty fades with age and time, but it can be perpetuated in our progeny, in whom we see our former beauty reborn.  In addition, beauty unshared is wasted, unappreciated by anyone.

(Just in case anyone groans at the thought of half a year of sonnets saying this, he goes off on other themes after a bit.)

This sonnet doesn't mention progeny; it's about the waste of beauty unshared.  The sonnets are beginning to look more and more like a courtship (marriage or seduction, or plea for children, pick which you want).  Maybe he even felt he had to come up with the weekly sonnet.  Anyway, we can enjoy watching how many ways he can say almost the same thing in gorgeous language.  I'm betting on Shakespeare to keep us entertained.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3929 on: July 04, 2016, 09:05:38 PM »
OK Barb, now I was writing while you were posting.  I never had any trouble with the format of picture/text.  I use a Mac with Safari, and my problems are different and don't exist here.  Joan just recently got stuck in acquiring  the new PC system, and that's probably the problem. She's no doubt celebrating the Glorious Fourth with her extended family, and will report when possible.

bellamarie

« Reply #3930 on: July 04, 2016, 10:50:53 PM »
Unthrifty loveliness, why dost thou spend
Upon thyself thy beauty's legacy?

When I look at the picture of the beautiful woman and then read these two lines it's as if Shakespeare is saying, why waste your beauty, as if he is speaking to the woman being vain.

Nature's bequest gives nothing but doth lend,
And being frank, she lends to those are free.

Here I see him telling her that nature gives us beauty, it costs nothing, and all are able to enjoy it freely, who are able to come outside of themselves to receive it.

Then, beauteous niggard, why dost thou abuse
The bounteous largess given thee to give?

I see him seeing this beautiful woman being so vain, that she does not see an inner beauty of importance, because she is too busy trapped in worrying about her outer image. 

Profitless usurer, why dost thou use
So great a sum of sums, yet canst not live?
For having traffic with thyself alone,
Thou of thyself thy sweet self dost deceive.

It appears she is all wrapped up in herself, she is not able to enjoy life with others.  Self centeredness.  She is imprisoned in herself.

Then how, when Nature calls thee to be gone,
What acceptable audit canst thou leave?

She is so busy worrying about herself and beauty, that she is not leaving anything of importance after she dies.  She has not given of herself, so others will remember her for something of worth.

Thy unused beauty must be tomb'd with thee,
Which, used, lives th' executor to be.

Here he is telling the beautiful woman that she will die and take her beauty with her, but what good will that all be when she has not made any lasting relationships in her life.

This reminds me of Proverbs 31:30 Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

bellamarie

« Reply #3931 on: July 04, 2016, 11:09:28 PM »
I love reading all your thoughts and take on these sonnets. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3932 on: July 04, 2016, 11:42:34 PM »
Bellamarie love the graphics but we have to make them smaller - I will adjust them for you and then you can see what I've done by modifying your message and seeing the addition I made to the instructions - we gotta stay below 400 pixels - if you hit with your left hand the button on the bottom of you computer typing area that say Ctrl and then with your right hand and without letting go of Ctrl move the wheel on the mouse you will see the letters enlarge - some of our posters as they age they need the larger letters - Joan usually makes her letters really large and if you notice by enlarging the letters, once adjusted all the posts show up with not only large letters but with very very large graphics that become so large it causes a problem since the width is larger than the posting area -

We just went though all this among those of us who prepare discussions as we attempted to figure it out - We finally figured out what was happening when I was trying to use a table and show the graphic next to the poem and why it was causing havoc - the solution - all you have to do is adjust any graphic to have a width smaller than 400 and the length will take care of itself in perfect relationship to the width chosen - so if you look at your post again by hitting modify you will see all the instructions you used and the change to the instructions for the two graphics. Thanks Bellamarie. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3933 on: July 05, 2016, 12:06:18 AM »
Yes, that was a good match wasn't it - to see beauty as more than the face but as inner beauty. So many bits of wisdom that can be seen in these Sonnets - no wonder the man is so revered for his work.

I like the bit where you say, "nature gives us beauty, it costs nothing, and all are able to enjoy it freely" - of course the poem is focused on a person but the concept of beauty in nature that costs nothing - how easily we take it for granted - We have gone all out this year celebrating the 4th because the ground is soaked and the lakes and river are full to the brim - it feels like all that was parched by the 4 year drought is full and chubby rolling - we even have fireflies back so the safety of fireworks display that had to be cancelled for two years in a row is a celebration that we are all enjoying.

It is nice to be reminded how beauty in nature is free that we can freely enjoy.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3934 on: July 05, 2016, 01:41:15 AM »
Shakespeare Sonnet V

Those Hours, that with gentle work did frame
The lovely gaze where every eye doth dwell,
Will play the tyrants to the very same
And that unfair which fairly doth excel:
For never-resting Time leads Summer on
To hideous Winter and confounds him there;
Sap check'd with frost and lusty leaves quite gone,
Beauty o'ersnow'd and bareness every where:
Then, were not summer's distillation left,
A liquid prisoner pent in walls of glass,
Beauty's effect with beauty were bereft,
Nor it, nor no remembrance what it was.
    But flowers distill'd though they with winter meet,
    Leese but their show; their substance still lives sweet.

William Shakespeare's Sonnet 5, read by Jamie Muffett.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip-XmB8clCQ

bellamarie

« Reply #3935 on: July 05, 2016, 07:45:37 AM »
Barb, Thank you for modifying the pic.  I was trying to make them smaller but was not sure how to do it.  Just when I think I have mastered it, poof, NOT so!.  :)

bellamarie

« Reply #3936 on: July 05, 2016, 08:00:56 AM »
To hideous Winter and confounds him there

Hmmm....  seems our Mr. Shakespeare is not so fond of winter.  In this sonnet for me Shakespeare is seeing the beauty of the different seasons and sees winter takes away the beauty of mother nature.  I also see him showing us that time will undoubtedly march us into yet another season, wiping out the beauty of the prior, yet summer's beauty still remains like the bulbs waiting underground to spring up yet again.

I love watching seasons change, so for me I loved this sonnet. I love when winter's blanket of snow covers up everything for just a bit of time, knowing that Spring will bring new life, and with new life comes renewed faith and hope.  Each season brings it own beauty for us who live in the Northern part of the country, we get to experience the beauty of the drastic changes that occur.  I get so excited as one season leaves, and the next one comes.

Leah

« Reply #3937 on: July 05, 2016, 02:51:34 PM »
Adding to Bellamarie's seasonal scope, I was pulled into the extended metaphor about aging, the sometimes subtle, yet relentless, slide from one human season to the next - with the reminder that like the flowers we may lose our "show", our physical self, yet our essence is what remains in memory just as the scent of the flowers can be pleasantlys recalled when they have been distilled into...perfume, I guess.

I really like Bellamarie's image of the "bulbs waiting underground waiting to spring up yet again."

I wondered about the capitalized reference to the "Hours", so I did a search for poetic references to that and found:"Greek Myth “The Horae”, the daughters of “Zeus” and “Themis” namely “Thallo (Spring), Auxo (Summer) and Carpo (Fall). “ That was kind of neat!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3938 on: July 05, 2016, 04:33:14 PM »
PAT was right, I was tied up with my family yesterday, and didn't get in, so am looking at two sonnets.

BARB: THANK YOU so much for changing the format! it makes the poems so much easier to read!

" Yes, good thought, Shakespeare does not seem as difficult as it was to us when we were younger - I wonder if part of that was not only our trying to measure up for a good grade as well as, not reading it for enjoyment "

I've often thought that the function of many poor English Lit teachers is to make us feel that we're too stupid to read English lit. Once we can get free of that, and realize that these are OUR poems, given to US, to make WHATEVER WE WANT TO out of them, then it becomes fun.

In defense of Shakespeare, going on and on with the same idea, I like to think of him: playing with this idea, trying to find the best way to express it. No. this way. No. that's better, etc.

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #3939 on: July 05, 2016, 09:53:22 PM »
I have thought a lot about teaching English literature as I did also teach high school lit.  I don't think anyone ever taught me how to read literature.  They just gave me The Scarlet Letter and said, "Read the first five chapters and be ready for a quiz." I generally had the big picture when I read, but I had a terrible time remembering  details.  I never took notes over any book I read in high school or college.  I just didn't know how.  The same is true with poetry.  I would read all the poetry in my anthology for pleasure and did develop a love of Robert Frost, but I loved the sound of the poem or the story.  My experience with Sonnet 73 and my essay.  No one ever told me, Barbara, to just enjoy the poem.  Or analyzed a poem with me. I learned to be a decent English teacher.  I could have been better if I knew then what I have learned reading Great Books.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3940 on: July 06, 2016, 01:44:23 AM »
You have no idea how much I have been enjoying this - letting ourselves be expressed through what we read - fabulous - more so because, reading how y'all are enjoying each Sonnet has me looking at the phrases with a new eye - I tend to philosophize everything I read and dwell on the metaphor to our life or various aspects of life today - but reading how each of you share something different is just wonderful.

Somewhere, and I have shared it in the past - there is a bit that says that once an author releases their work it is no longer their work - each reader brings to the read their personal history and life experiences so, each viewpoint comes from what the reader brings to the read - some readers are married some not, some have lived in one section of the country and others experience the unique differences within several areas of the country - some of us come from a large family others small, some from a close or gregarious family and others experience a distance from family members - Our religion or moral values are different and our ages allowed us different historical memories and so, of course, we see the same words but shaded differently based on all we bring to our read.

Yes, there are books teaching the various components of a poem that helps us better understand what the poet is stressing - for instance, if several words in a row start with the same letter of the alphabet or, several words follow each other with the word endings sounding the same regardless if they are spelled the same - sure, that is a clue that says 'this is important' - but this discussion is not about uncovering what Shakespeare decided was important -

As an earlier post - there are a ton of books that do analyze and tear into the poem but, we do not have to repeat what authors have deduced in their many books - part of enjoying poetry is hearing its song - seeing the mind pictures a poem creates for us. If some words hit a button - great - share - we can all enjoy where our minds wander because of the poem.

It helps to say the poem aloud just as listening to leaves rustle in Autumn - Adds a memory moment, a connection with trees that allows us to sink into autumn and so too, reading a poem aloud - if there is a reading of the Sonnet on youtube available then it is added at the bottom of the post.

This is our time to relax and float in words - to catch the ideas that Shakespeare shares - Feel the joy of words that are placed one after another but not strung along as we carry on a conversation, there is an other worldliness about them.

To repeat from an earlier post - Tell us about your first reaction – After your second read were you moved – Did you catch something you did not catch in the first reading - was there a particular phrase that caught you as you read - Then after your third read, what emotions within yourself did the poem touch. Did Shakespeare pull you in?  What did you find appealing about the 14 lines declaring an aspect of love - - -

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3941 on: July 06, 2016, 01:50:40 AM »
Ah Bellamarie the seasons - when I was young we lived for many years with all four seasons - but soon after my first babies were born we moved back to the south and then when they were a little older we moved here to the deep south were Winter is some years a weekend or a month or maybe two months but the summer is long and hot, usually from May to October. The only quickening of the breath around here is when the first norther blows in and we all sigh with relief and then a couple of weeks later a colder norther has us all scramble for firewood. There are so few times we can enjoy our fireplaces - many turn on the AC to have a fire during the holidays. And so, it was a special treat to hear how you enjoy a blanket of snow and could share a mental picture of bulbs growing in frozen earth beneath the snow that contain the memory of summer.

Leah what a treat - to pick up on "Hours" written with a capitol H and find it relates to "The Horae" - we know from our other discussions about the work of Shakespeare that he did read Ovid and other Greek writers - that was a great bit of sleuthing that gave us all a perk - so "The Horae" is about three seasons, daughters of Zeus and Themis, and sisters of the Fates - here they are...

Here is a link to their story...
http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Mythology/Horae.html

And then you further share the metaphor of aging - we hear so often, the winter of our lives - as well as, white hair is referenced as snow - Oh and Steinbeck's "The Winter of Our Discontent" which is from Shakespeare's Richard III, Gloucester: Now is the winter of our discontent. Made glorious summer by this sun of York;

I wonder when this Sonnet was written - I wonder if Shakespeare wrote Richard III before or after he wrote this Sonnet since there is this similarity.

Don't you just love all of this and then Joan you can read the work - how great is that - we are glad you can add to our enjoyment of these Sonnets.

Yes, that is so true Joan - we will see many ways that the same theme will be worked into a poem - reminds me of classical music - a symphony is the same theme in variations - somewhere there is the information that there really is only three main themes in all these 154 Sonnets and so it appears we will see 154 ways to put in poetic format these themes. Now that is exciting - really - think how often the various gurus tell us to keep on asking - to repeat yourself feels foolish - now, from the master, we will learn how to say the same thing in 154 different ways - wow...

Ah ha we have a retired teacher among us - a lit teacher at that - fabulous Karen - I bet you have enough stories of how various students learn and what they brought to the classroom to write a book.

Yep Karen, close the books of 'How" and just read the poem - read it over and over a few times - read it outloud - hear the words and note the images that come to mind - better than mediating - we are aiming here for a relaxed murmur of our sub memory to float to the surface and fill you with the scent if you will - the scent of the poem.

I just know we are going to have to throw each other a safety line to keep us anchored to the earth ;)  - yep, a fun image of us reading and enjoying these Sonnets.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3942 on: July 06, 2016, 02:17:16 AM »
The first couple of lines is where I had so much trouble - then it hit me - I am so used to seeing a line ending as if it were a whole thought and no, this is not exactly a sentence since it ends with a comma but the comma ends the thought.

Those Hours,
that with gentle work did frame The lovely gaze where every eye doth dwell,

At first the image of being a young homemaker when the hours were filled with dusting and hanging out laundry and cooking meals - that was my measurement of time - the daily tasks repeated that working Real Estate there is NO repetition of anything. It is like a speeding locomotive navigating the twists and turns of tracks that lead to a closing. Days and weeks and months of new problems every day. I like helping people but I must say I had far more joy in the regular tasks that I took such pride in as a homemaker.

Off the track of the poem which appears to tell me, lovely hours that will also excel in playing the tyrant - oh do I know that feeling when there is a special occasion coming and I have so much crowded into the hours that time seems a tyrant scolding me to hurry up - just as (a glorious summer of) creative plans leads to my winter of discontent so that, my glorious ideas for celebrating the special occasion become a burden that I cannot abandon - Oh, I bemoan, how did I ever think it was a good idea or that I could do what was needed to pull it off.

And yes, what keeps me going, after the first couple of excursions into preparing special occasions taught me that after all the pressure and stress and hard work it will be glorious and it will be all I imagined, in fact more than I imagined - It always is.

So I tell myself, I best not focus on the end product and just enjoy the winter with all the work, pressure and forget the stress knowing, I've handled many a catastrophe and pulled it off and I will again and again - hmm I wonder how I will handle the catastrophe of my death - maybe it won't be a catastrophe but another celebration of a special occasion - yep, that is how I will look upon it - just decided - never thought of that before - thanks Shakespeare. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3943 on: July 06, 2016, 02:45:25 AM »
Shakespeare Sonnet VI

Then let not Winter's ragged hand deface
In thee thy summer, ere thou be distill'd:
Make sweet some vial; treasure thou some place
With beauty's treasure, ere it be self-kill'd.
That use is not forbidden usury,
Which happies those that pay the willing loan;
That's for thyself to breed another thee,
Or ten times happier, be it ten for one;
Ten times thyself were happier than thou art,
If ten of thine ten times refigur'd thee:
Then what could Death do, if thou shouldst depart,
Leaving thee living in posterity?
    Be not self-will'd, for thou art much too fair,
    To be Death's conquest and make worms thine heir.

William Shakespeare's Sonnet 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVm0i8eLLmA

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #3944 on: July 06, 2016, 11:56:13 AM »
I taught at a small high school in Maine (I know winter well!)  Autumn began the process every year of taking summer from me.  I grew paler and paler and ever more tired as Fall became winter - -long winter.  Winter frequently began with a snowstorm in late October or early November and often continued through April. 
     My major teaching assignment was all levels of World and US History, but when they had an extra English class, I was their woman.  So I was thinking about why Shakespeare was so insistent that the only way to live on was to have a child. Otherwise Death conquers you and worms become your hair.  The focus in the Renaissance was on the individual rather than society. The goal of life was to "be all you could be,"  become a person who excels in everything.  Perfecting oneself in all areas became a life goal.  So, it follows that one would want his perfect self to live on forever. It also follows that one might become selfish, proud, arrogant with no regard for others.  Shakespeare reminds "him" that in this Sonnet and Sonnets 1-5 that to live on one must
                                      Make sweet some vial; treasure thou some place
                                      With beauty's treasure, ere it be self-kill'd.
This is an interesting contrast to the Middle Ages where one lived to die because that was the only way to get your "reward" - - being in heaven with God.

bellamarie

« Reply #3945 on: July 06, 2016, 12:33:11 PM »
Then let not Winter's ragged hand deface

In the first line, once again Shakespeare seems to look at winter in a harsh way.  Myself, I love winter even when the snow is in blizzard form and ice is hanging off the trees.  Living in Michigan/Ohio I look forward to winter, as soon as Halloween and Thanksgiving roll around I begin getting excited because I know the cold, snow, ice and freeze is coming.  I look forward to months of wrapping up in sweatshirts, flannel pjs, wooly sweaters, and my dog lying beside my feet.  I love the feel of cold days just sitting in the house, with my afghan, hot drink, fireplace going and reading a book, or watching marathons of dvr I need to catch up on.  Winter is my time that tells me to slow down and really appreciate life, especially when we get hit with a foot of snow and the world has to come to a stop!  We had the best times being snowed in with the kids home playing board games all day long......  I'm thinking Shakespeare needed to experience winter from my point of view.  :)

I'm seeing the importance Shakespeare is putting on leaving behind generations, of thyself in these lines.

That's for thyself to breed another thee,
Or ten times happier, be it ten for one;
Ten times thyself were happier than thou art,
If ten of thine ten times refigur'd thee:

He seems to be saying if you have offspring to share life with, and to leave after you die, it will bring much happiness into your life and even in your death.

Be not self-will'd, for thou art much too fair,
    To be Death's conquest and make worms thine heir.

When I read this it instantly made me think of how self-willed I can be, and I don't find it a very attractive trait in myself or others. 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3946 on: July 06, 2016, 07:10:13 PM »
BARB: "I just know we are going to have to throw each other a safety line to keep us anchored to the earth ." It's one of those days with blue skies and puffy white clouds, do I think I'll lie on a cloud and read the poem.

Oh, the seasons! I live in Southern California, where the temperature is from 60  to 80 all year long, and flowers bloom all year. AND I MISS THE SEASONS SO MUCH!

When flowers are always there, you forget to look at them! it's almost like we need the winter to have the Spring. I miss the leaves in fall and the snow in winter (I watch every TV program I can find about Alaska).

When I moved here, a friend told me that people here complain about the weather just as much as in my old home (Washington D.C.) I didn't believe her, but it's true! If the temperature goes up to 85 or (heaven forbid) down to 55, or if a rainstorm lasts more than 5 minutes, everyone complains (including recently me).

I laugh at that, but maybe it's good! Maybe we NEED bad weather, so that we can  appreciate the good! And if we're forced to redefine bad, we'll do it. it shows we're still paying attention: still appreciating the differences and variety, small or large.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3947 on: July 06, 2016, 07:12:34 PM »
Wow Karen the northern winter you experienced sounds longer then our hot summer in this part of the country. I would have had you for class because I love world history and geography even as a grade school student - when I remember High School English Lit I was in high cotton. I loved that we all read certain books each year. Freshman year it was Ivanhoe, Sophomore year it was Macbeth, Junior year it was Les Misérables and Senior Year it was Hamlet and of course in our required Latin class we read the Punic Wars.

Poetry I remember from grade school - each week we had to memorize a poem that was in our spelling book - each day there were a list of words to learn to spell and on Thursday there was a poem to learn that we each stood up and recited in class on Friday.

Much has changed in the curriculum since those days.  As to "Perfecting oneself in all areas became a life goal." I think we are back at it or maybe it never went away with all the advise books on how to live and how to be successful. Yes, I can see how easily the poem suggests unless you procreate you are "selfish, proud, arrogant with no regard for others."

It takes reading something like these Sonnets to realize how fortunate we are to have more choices than to be alive just to assure the continuation of mankind.

Ah Bellamarie - sounds like you experience winter to its fullest - your description of a day at home between wooly sweaters, hot drinks next to the fireplace and board games with the children sounds idyllic.  But I can give Shakespeare a break - we have seen many a movie with Bob Cratchit blowing on his finger tips wearing gloves as he pens the accounts and that was in the nineteenth century. I can barely imagine how difficult winter must have been in the sixteenth century.

My daughter lived in a cottage for a couple of year without any central heat and only fireplaces to keep them warm - not fun - it was only warm about 5 to 6 feet from the fireplace and these were small rooms, not a big drafty theater or, having been in Shakespeare's childhood home in Stratford-upon-Avon those rooms were larger and more open - and come to think of it - forgot till now - those beds were mighty small - talk about cuddling - OK when you are young but as we age - I like my space.

Back to the poem - All those 10s - 10 times and 10 for one and another 10 times and then a 10 of thine and finally another 10 times - me oh my - glad you made sense of it Bellamarie - I got tongue tied saying it. It seems to me he was promoting the idea of 10 children - sheesh... again I am glad we live today - I remember as a kid there were many families with 9,10 and 12 children - then when I was having my family it was still common for families to be 4 and 5 children.  Now that the economy demands from most families 2 paychecks, having a passel of kids is almost child abuse.  However, as the poem suggests, we would have a happier old age and death with a houseful of kids. I think with all those children their body heat would help warm up the room ;)

For me slipping and sliding over all those 10s about wore me out - had a difficult time getting into this Sonnet. It did not grab me as the others had - and the language did not flow for me either - I read the poem as more scoldy, telling me what to do, I felt annoyed -

The only bit that I did like was the first, "Then let not Winter's ragged hand deface In thee thy summer" - but like is probably not the word here - I instinctively retreated into some painful life experiences that I struggled through during a long time of spiritual winter - I felt ragged, I was not myself or the self I prefer that is hopeful and sees beauty all around - I was in a dark place trying not to infect others with my pox. A winter's ragged hand pops up on me as I experience unprepared, reminders. Winter is not my warm and happy time.

Instead of seeing death as worms in my hair I had decided it will be my special event and my spirit will plan on looking forward to a long summer. Not Spring - too windy and wet - not Autumn - too garish - and not for sure Winter with its spiritual pain and crippling cold - summer it is...

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3948 on: July 06, 2016, 07:31:07 PM »
" Make sweet some vial; treasure thou some place
                                      With beauty's treasure, ere it be self-kill'd."

Am I alone in thinking this is written to a man.

I can't stop thinking of Shakespeare's life in these poems. How much is he talking to himself? And how much is he referring to actual children versus (in spite of the sexual references) to his work?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3949 on: July 06, 2016, 07:52:38 PM »
Joan you could be on to something that this Sonnet is written to a man - and yes, that is another thought, what we are reading as obvious about seasons and children works as a metaphor to artistic production doesn't it - and all the 10 times fits so well if it were thought of as about the production of art - music, dance, theater, stories on paper, even including woodwork, needlework and handcrafts - yes, that is a great image to carry away from this poem - or at least I am thankful you brought it up - takes the feeling away from that Sonnet that puts me in a dark place to something that brings the joy of doing and the enjoyment of experiencing - the arts - thanks.

bellamarie

« Reply #3950 on: July 06, 2016, 09:15:55 PM »
Barb,   
had a difficult time getting into this Sonnet. It did not grab me as the others had - and the language did not flow for me either - I read the poem as more scoldy, telling me what to do, I felt annoyed -

Ahh.... nice to know I was not alone in feeling a bit frustrated with this sonnet.  I read it several times and even listened to the audio on Youtube you provided and it did nothing for me.  That's okay, I don't need everyone of them to stir something inside of me. 

I love our Winter as much as I love the breaking of Spring with flowers popping through the ground, and the breathtaking beauty of Fall when football season begins and we rake piles of leaves and the grandkids jump in them and bury themselves, along with the annual trip to the pumpkin farm. I love the hot sunny summer days spent in our pool, and the lovely nights in the summer by our firepit, catching lighting bugs and roasting marshmallows and making Smores with the grandkids. I don't think I could ever live where the four seasons are not noticeable and enjoyable. 

JoanK., Every day I wake up in the Spring and Summer I walk outside to see what flower is breaking through the ground, or is in bloom.  I can't imagine living in a place where it is taken for granted having them.  My hydrangeas and rose of sharon are just spectacular right now.  My first flowers are the baby dahlias, crocus, hyacinths, lilacs and tulips, then come the Irises and azaleas and shasta daisies.  Next comes the day lilies, roses, and asiatic lilies, and then the hydrangeas, rose of sharon and my balloon flowers.  Each one I anticipate and take pictures of, I also always buy petunias and plant other misc. annuals.  My 8 yr old grandson looked out my kitchen window and said, "Nonnie your backyard looks like the Garden of Eden."   :)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3951 on: July 06, 2016, 10:38:45 PM »
JoanK, I'm often not able to puzzle out the gender ambiguity in these poems.

I can't stop thinking of Shakespeare's life in these poems. How much is he talking to himself? And how much is he referring to actual children versus (in spite of the sexual references) to his work?
I like the notion that he's referring to his work too.

This poem carries on a notion from the previous poem.  In sonnet #5, he brings up the notion of the essence of flowers being distilled and concentrated, and here in #6, the person he's talking is urged to distill his/her essence (children, work, whatever) into a vial.

I had a lot of trouble with the language though.  There are some plays on words that i was too lazy to puzzle out.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3952 on: July 07, 2016, 02:14:09 AM »
Bellamarie - the seasons - in all their glory - reminds me also of Leah's find yesterday on the word with a capitol H that opened another association with the seasons as the Greeks honored them

PatH you also found the language on this Sonnet a challenge - bringing to our attention there is in the poem a play on words opens us to another look at the poem - we could actually spend time on each of these Sonnets with so many viewpoints that are brought to our attention. However we are going for the arch of the entire collection - never read them in order, have you?

Connecting the two poems, as you PatH brought to our attention, is the distillation of liquid as a metaphor for her youthful sweetness Make sweet some vial; where as in Sonnet 5 her youth and beauty is also liquid within a glass container A liquid prisoner pent in walls of glass Both Sonnets describe her summer youthful beauty, held within a container of glass in such lovely and gentle language.

Maybe that is the trick to this Sonnet 6 - look for the loveliness in a phrase rather than attempt to make a memorable story out of the 14 lines.

Wouldn't that be a 'stop-for-moment-and-smell-the-roses' way to admire a glass of water or ice tea - A liquid prisoner pent in walls of glass without even thinking a metaphor, just for the loveliness of the words.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3953 on: July 07, 2016, 02:38:48 AM »
Shakespeare Sonnet VII

Lo, in the orient when the gracious light
Lifts up his burning head, each under eye
Doth homage to his new-appearing sight,
Serving with looks his sacred majesty;
And having climb'd the steep-up heavenly hill,
Resembling strong youth in his middle age,
yet mortal looks adore his beauty still,
Attending on his golden pilgrimage;
But when from high-most pitch, with weary car,
Like feeble age, he reeleth from the day,
The eyes, 'fore duteous, now converted are
From his low tract and look another way:
    So thou, thyself outgoing in thy noon,
    Unlook'd on diest, unless thou get a son.

William Shakespeare's Sonnet 7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EblaS2U2bxA

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3954 on: July 07, 2016, 03:10:24 AM »
orient: the east.
the gracious light: the sun.
his burning head: Helios, the sun god
each under eye: the eyes of all those beneath him.
the steep-up heavenly hill: Phoebus climbs up the steep slope of the sky.
high-most pitch: highest elevation.
car: chariot.
reeleth from the day: plunges downward.
converted: turned away.
out-going...noon: passing beyond your prime.
diest: act of sex

Tell us about your first reaction

After your second read were you moved – Did you catch something you did not catch in the first reading - was there a particular phrase that caught you as you read

Then after your third read, what emotions within yourself did the poem touch. Did Shakespeare pull you in?  What did you find appealing about the 14 lines declaring an aspect of love - - -

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3955 on: July 07, 2016, 02:33:09 PM »
The first reading, I was following the sun image, thinking in my literal way that it doesn't really fit (since here, we often go to the beach in the evening to admire the sun setting over the ocean).

Then I read your definitions: "diest: act of sex". Hmmm, THAT'S what he's talking about! Rereading it (from a man's point of view) it makes sense.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3956 on: July 07, 2016, 03:20:03 PM »
I had a similar reaction.  The sun isn't anything like waning from noon on; it's often hottest in the afternoon, and as Joank points out, is much admired at sunset.  But it does die after that, so he isn't totally off-base with his comparison, just in his symmetry.  And even without Barb's illuminating definition, it's still the same message.  If I were the man/woman Shakespeare was writing to, by now I'd be thinking "for Pete's sake, you've made your point--enough already".  That said, he does find a lot of elegant ways to say the same thing.

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #3957 on: July 07, 2016, 03:42:37 PM »
I was tired when I first read this and nothing made sense. On second reading I saw the extended metaphor the daily journey of the sun.  I was noticing last evening how high in the sky (Florida) the sun still is in the early evening.  Of course, this is summer and I am south, but it draws my attention as I walk the dog.  After "sunset" S. gets to the point. his call for the man this time is beyond have a child, he instructs, " get a son."   

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3958 on: July 07, 2016, 04:47:07 PM »
I also had a problem reading this and getting it - as Joan, you intimated the sun does not drop like a ton of bricks when it reaches its zenith - your key was the definition of Diest - Sorta knew that men refer to their act of sex as if they die for a minute -

The one that got me the first time I read the Sonnet with out the help of any definitions was, "each under eye" in "each under eye Doth homage to his new-appearing sight," I was thinking the literal under each eye - the place on our face as we age we are inclined to get 'bags' and so it was not making a whole lot of sense. What does this area of my face have to do with paying homage to the sight of someone newly appearing.

PatH what is funny - the timing on the sun setting is probably the only thing that is for today - during the sixteenth century with healthy life typically being much shorter the idea of the highest point of the sun being around noon similar to a man's strongest and most handsome time of his life fits. And yes, at noon the sun is straight up and would appear at the highest point as if at the top of a straight plumb line. Where as all of us, because of where we live, see the sun at its brightest and its longest span later in the afternoon before it reddens and starts its slide below the horizon.

Well the funny part is that up till about 15 years ago there were many books talking about the 7 phases of life or the 7 steps of life or the 7 stages of life - cannot remember the author any longer but can still see the cover of the book with the steps and the end of life that was charted in workbooks was age 65 - then another step was added - well Last I saw there is now 12 steps - and they see most of us living a full life till our late 80s which is considered the new zenith and then we quickly fall off that height with the majority meeting their end between 93 and 97.

And so both you PatH and Karen's view of the sun setting is probably closer to our reality today than either the reality of a life in the sixteenth century and even the mid to three quarters of the twentieth century.

PatH I love the way you see these Sonnets as all of a piece - as messages related to each other rather than individual and separate Sonnets - Love it... :) "you've made your point - enough already".

Karen you got it - all he is saying is - get a son - it is my instruction the sun is setting on your life and this is the answer to it all. :)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3959 on: July 08, 2016, 01:15:50 AM »
This was the last post space on the page and I did not realize it last night - it was a very long and very rough day working with a buyer - the Sonnet for today - Sonnet VIII is on the next page - Leah had posted before I caught the problem so she shared and her post is still at the bottom of the first post on the next page with the heading - sorry for the shuffle -