Author Topic: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson ~ Coming in April  (Read 24634 times)

maryz

• Z's World
Re: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson ~ Coming in April
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2011, 06:55:09 AM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand  by Helen Simonson

Proposed for April Book Club Online  

Please post below if you can join us.  

"When Major Pettigrew, a retired British army major in a small English village, embarks on an unexpected friendship with the widowed Mrs. Ali, who runs the local shop, trouble erupts to disturb the bucolic serenity of the village and of the Major’s carefully regimented life.

"As the Major and Mrs. Ali discover just how much they have in common, including an educated background and a shared love of books, they must struggle to understand what it means to belong and how far the obligations of family and tradition can be set aside for personal freedom. Meanwhile, the village itself, lost in its petty prejudices and traditions, may not see its own destruction coming."  New York Times   (best seller)

"...a wry and witty love story set in a little English village where small town prejudices, and race and religious intolerances are alive and well. With gentle insight, the author captures the thrill of falling in love after 60 and the disruption romance can introduce into a well-settled life."

Discussion Schedule:
April 1-7 ~ Chapters 1-6

Note: The author, Helen Simonson, has agreed to visit our discussion!

Discussion Leaders:  Barbara & JoanP

maryz's post:Sounds like a good one - and not too far away from you.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Frybabe

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2011, 08:57:46 AM »
I really liked St. Augustine. If ever I move to Florida, that is the first place I would look at. Enjoy your tour, Steph.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2011, 02:36:32 PM »
Steph is St. Augustine far from where you live? I saw online yesterday they had what looked like a great week in San Antonio and even have a rate for those not staying in the hotel - there were a few places on the list that were suggested for free time that I have never checked out so that was a nice bit for me to put on my list - the ones that really interested me were in Norway - Have you been to any  overseas Steph?

April is going to be a come and go month for several of  us - good thing this is not the novel of the century or the Great American or English Novel, we would be lost trying to keep up - but this should be a delight - so far there is a lightness about the story - nice - for a change...

I did start to read the Major's story this morning and it is a page turner - I may just stay with it although, the day is clear and warm and my garden is so needy and I still have papers and papers and papers that each year I come up with a new system to organize and it ends up all in a big plastic bin with the IRS wanting its due in less then a month - ohhhhhh
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

serenesheila

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2011, 03:45:09 PM »
My memory has lots of missing parts, these days.  As I remember, the book takes place following WWII.  So, take this with a grain of salt.

The Elderhostel name change is news to me!  I haven't been to one, for several years.  But, I went to several, with a widowed friend in the 1980s.  They were most interesting, and enjoyable.

Sheila

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2011, 07:10:35 PM »
Barb, we've been overseas to programs in Antarctica, the Galapagos, and Scotland.  All were fantastic!  We've also been to one in New Brunswick, so that's a foreign country, but not exactly "overseas".  :D  All the rest have been in the US (including Alaska).
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »
OK how adventurous are you - Sheila you are definitely excused with so many bumps and bruises still healing that requires a cane to walk - oh dear - Has anyone ever prepared or even eaten Pakistani food? I have not that I know of - nor have I ever prepared a recipe from Pakistan - Looking for some on-line I found too many that were not written in English or the preparation or even the basic foods I could not manage -

If anyone wants to find and share an appetizers, appropriate to beginning, as in the beginning of our read,  that would be great - we could have a mock table of appetizers to choose from - and maybe - yes, just maybe we could really try one of these recipes - if you do try one,  please let us know what you think.  

I found a Chicken Apple salad recipe that does not sound too difficult and sounds like flavors that I would enjoy tasting similar to our own - to start out that is where my comfort level allows me to go... :)

1 cup boiled chicken
a small cabbage
2 medium size apples
1 Spring onion
3 tblsp chilli garlic sauce [not sure what chilli garlic sauce is but I am assuming a red sauce with garlic]
1/2 cup Mayonnaise

Mix veggies and then mix and add sauce/mayo

Served on lettuce leaves with sliced tomatoes and black olives surrounding the center mound of Chicken Apple salad.

And then this one is simply called a Traditional Side Dish:

1 Tomato cubed
1 Red Onion thinly sliced
1 fresh hot or mildly hot Pepper sliced
some Ginger - matchstick sliced
Fresh lemon
Salt to taste
Mix in a bowl - squeeze in lemon - add salt - cover bowl and refrigerate for at least a 1/2 hour
Serve with Roti and Chutney

Roti is an Asian bread made from stoneground wholemeal flour, traditionally known as atta flour - "'Atta' actually means "flour" in most East Indian dialects. Atta flour is not actually a 'type of flour'. Atta in a recipe, will use a mixture of whole-wheat and all-purpose flour (most often a two to one ratio). Exclusively whole-wheat flour could be used if it is very finely ground flour made from the grain and the endosperm (without the bran)."

Youtube - How to make Roti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg0p5TXi_Cc

I know we have an Indian restaurant in town so I may have lunch or dinner there next week and I bet I can find out where the atta flour is sold or better yet, talk them into selling me a few Roti - seems it is typical of the cuisine of most of southwest Asia and northern Africa.

I am a sucker for a sweet while I am sitting and reading - need to find a recipe for a sweet snack - not yet a dessert but just a snack

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2011, 09:47:57 AM »
I went to a Pakistani restaurant once, but as I had suspected, it was like an Indian.. Nothing I really liked. I love oriental food but not these..
I have not been overseas on Elderhostel. But I am toying with it.. I finally decided on the Scotland tour to go with a recognized tour company..CIE.. I was looking for a program that provided almost all meals, since I will be by myself and dont want to wander off on my own in a strange area. The two Elderhostel Scottish tours had a bunch of free for dinner options, plus one was heavy in Edinburgh and I have been there and spent a week a few years ago.. I wanted a tour of the far north and the Isles..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2011, 11:54:50 AM »
Steph, CLICK HERE for Sea and Skye - Highlands and Islands.  It's the one we did and it's FABULOUS!  We'd love to go back to that area again.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2011, 11:58:05 AM »
Sounds good Steph - have you taken  yourself out to a  nice restaurant where you live -  once you get past that hurdle it may be easier on vacation - at first it can feel awkward and many hide behind a book but after a couple of times it is fine and you look around at everyone and enjoy the experience of tasting food in a nice environment. Then being able to act on  your adventurous and curious spirit in travel does not take as much planning to feel comfortable on your own. I've decided t he only reason we find ourselves in a life situation is we are meant to learn something that we were not learning -  good luck - you must still be in a lot of pain - my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Steph

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2011, 06:02:44 AM »
Oh, I eat out by myself at home all the time.. I also go to Disney, the movies, art shows, etc. Doesnt bother me.. It is the fact that dinner is after dark many times and the idea of being alone somewhere where I dont really know where things are is not a happy thing for me.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2011, 08:18:36 AM »
Just received word that Major Pettigrew's Last Stand is waiting for me at the library -  Can't wait to look closely at that cover.  Is it a man and a woman, or a coat stand?  Very clever if that's what "last stand" was intended in the title.   :D

I understand what you are saying about being alone after dark in a strange place., Steph.  I'm that way too.  Actually, I think  we all ought to exercise such caution!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2011, 09:24:05 AM »
STEPH, why don't you email me?  I notice you do not post your email address.  For about 15-20 years I took Elderhostel trips and then when my husband retired he went to.  I'd be happy to tell of some interesting ones.  It's difficult to write Road Scholar for the program, but a change was needed.  Why do we older folk resent being older, being elders?  I don't think our parents felt this way?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2011, 09:57:33 AM »
Why do we older folk resent being older, being elders?  I don't think our parents felt this way?

Our parents didn't feel that way.  And I never thought of my family members as old.  Old was alway "somebody else."

Actually, everyone over thirty was old.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2011, 01:06:44 PM »
Oh we are reading the perfect book aren't we to further discuss the 'old' question - Steph, Joan, Ella and Pedln y'all bring up the issues of the day in this small exchange over travel - the need for safety especially at night and protecting ourselves from being typecast in a way that appears to give others control - after putting our life's blood into raising our children and then find it is the younger ones we must be on our toes to protect ourselves is a bit of an undoing isn't it.

I did finally finish my other book and settled in with Major Pettigrew's Last stand, staying up too late last night as I gobbled up 7 chapters - oh I do like the Major - and I like the undercurrent light humor that runs through this author's story telling. What a wonderful recommendation - thanks and a tip of the hat to those of  you who read the book and recommended it.

Laura

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2011, 01:57:13 PM »
Please count me in for this discussion.  I have read many great reviews about this book and am looking forward to reading it with all of you!  I think it has been a year or two since I last participated in a discussion here.  Time flies!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2011, 02:25:02 PM »
Glad you are going to read this with  us Laura - from what reading I did last night it promises to be a good discussion - the book has a lightness with the characters showing laughter and ironic humor however there are in the middle of so many issues of the day -

If anyone has themes they would like us to explore please post them - no need to go into your opinions why we should make them the topic of our discussion -  a one or two words will do it - for instance - being a widow or widower - living alone - independence - why others take it upon themselves to have opinions about how older folks lead their life - on and on - lots of issues are built into this story - probably more than we have time to explore so lets get a heads up on the themes/issues that you would like to discuss so we can create question that will encourage the variety of opinions that will be represented by each of us.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2011, 01:46:20 AM »
What a story -  it has been too long since I can sit back and know the awfulness is going to be within bounds and the language is going to be safe and a certain comedy of manners is going to play out and yet, serious issues will tug at heartstrings - what a great writer we have in Helen Simonson.

pedln I only learned tonight that your daughter knows the author - left a post in the Odyssey discussion - what a thrill to know someone who it looks like she is on her way as a well known author - I truly hope she has another couple of books that she will be able to write - I do like her writing style.

There are so many topics to get y'alls feedback about that are incorporated in this story - we sure won't be stuck for topics

As I read I am trying to figure out logical breaks - the number of pages divided by 4 weeks suggest 87 or maybe it was 89 pages a week but I am also seeing that there seems to be a natural break or change of focus in the story that suggests the first week it would be good to stick to the first 6 chapters - Please if you have any druthers or input on how we read this book or what topics you would like to tackle then please post your thoughts...

Since April 1 is April "Fool's" day I am thinking to have the heading up for us along with our early questions by March 31 and if you would like to start discussing the book on Thursday the 31st that is just fine or, you can wait till Friday the 1st - it will be your individual call.

Steph

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2011, 06:23:46 AM »
I am not sure if being older has made me more aware or if being a widow has done it, but I do know I tend to be careful to pick my spots in many ways.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2011, 09:13:05 AM »
STEPH, am sorry,  I just replied to your email and I had the mistaken notion that you lived in Ohio.  However, we have the same interests in the Road Scholar program.

BARB, I hope my book comes in time to begin the discussion with the rest of you.

Age happens.  Your body gives you lots of hints that you are not spry anymore; people open doors for you with a smile.  Yesterday for the first time someone (I can't remember what store I was in) asked me if I was okay - OH!  I was going to let my hair go white, but I think I will dye it back to a light blonde again, anything, anything!!!

I am 82, who knew I would attain this great age, not me, I never gave it a thought!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2011, 09:20:26 AM »
Ella, you are one of the the spryest women I know!   Really hope you get the book for the discussion.
Road Scholar...not bad.  Has Elderhostel officially changed its name?

Picked up my copy at the Library yesterday. Getting started today.  Unlike many of you, I've yet to read it...but every time I mention the book, I hear warm praise.  

Barbara, first six chapters sound just right.  Thanks for the guidance.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2011, 10:58:15 AM »
Yes, Barbara, my DIL knows Simonson through school -- their kids go to the same high school.

April Fool -- the connect just hit me (Barbara's note of April 1).  The Book Cover is from the Life Magazine Cover, which is titled "April Fool."

Ella, you and Ann A both had met Phyllis Green, from Columbus, is that correct?  Another wonderful book on aging (non-fiction) -- Designated Daughter by Green and her daughter D.G. Fulford. (That's what's kept me from The Odyssey, I couldn't put it down.) I highly recommend it. Pyllis Green died last month at the age of 91.  But this past November she was still maintaining her BLOG -- while in hospice.  No slouch, that lady.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2011, 11:12:30 AM »
 :D ;)  We were guided by the gods to start this book conversation by April 1 - and then there are those who believe in coincidence...!  ::)  ;)

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2011, 05:46:09 PM »
Joan
Has Elderhostel officially changed its name?

Yes. It's now Road Scholar -- the old Elderhostel site says after 34 years, they  launched the new name.

http://www.roadscholar.org/

As someone mentioned, MaryZ maybe ?? who has done some wonderful ones, they had another name briefly, but ran into a copyright problem with it and so now have this Road Scholar one.

The Library called and my name had come up on the WL for Pettigrew, so I have it and will start it probably tonight amongst the thunderstorms.  I love reading during storms.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2011, 05:52:01 PM »
The first change was in Sept/Oct 2009 (we were on an Elderhostel at the time), and it was first changed to Exploritas (dumb-sounding, IMO).  As jane said, turns out somebody else was using the name (although why they didn't find that out before hand is beyond me).  This took a couple of months.  And then they changed to Road Scholar.   Oh, well....

Steph

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2011, 06:00:48 AM »
Road Scholar is supposed to appeal to a wider audience.. I note that they are also actively working on line to build a community. Have not participated.. Life is a bit too busy just now for another daily world and I love this one and Facebook.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2011, 08:35:11 AM »
Well, I think "Road Scholar"  is just right  (better than "Exploritas" which it might have been had another group not taken the name!) 

Here's a question for those reading Major P on a Kindle.  I know you don't have page numbers.  Are there chapter numbers indicated?  When Barbara suggests we read and discuss Chapters 1-6 the first week, will you know what that covers.  Here's hoping Chapter numbers are indicated...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »
Do we  need to copy out the last paragraph of the 6th chapter in a post so you know where we are stopping the conversation during the first week?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »
The last sentence should be enough, but the Kindle3's will show page numbers now.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2011, 10:46:54 AM »
For insurance then the plan is to type out the last bit - probably a sentence - haven't looked to see what the last bit is but we will make sure it is made easy to know where to stop for this discussion. - Thanks pedln - that is a help...

Steph

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2011, 06:04:32 AM »
 My Kindle on my IPAD shows Chapters.. but only pages once in a while.. NO, I have no idea why it only does it part time.
The story is enchanting so far..

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2011, 09:38:07 PM »
Joan is working on the last details but it looks like we have the author Helen Simonson joining us for a one time visit during the discussion - the offer is firm it is working out the dates that is where we are  now...

So get your books primed and ready so that you have a question for the author - we are trying to work it out so that her visit is after the first week and we will have read and discussed more then the opening few chapters. What a coup to have a first time published author join us for a question and anwer time as we discuss this her first book - I love it...!

Steph

« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2011, 06:01:41 AM »
How wonderful. I am enjoying the book very much. Not heavy,, just right for us.

CallieOK

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2011, 11:28:59 PM »
x    Marking my spot and looking forward to the discussion and cyber-meeting Helen Simonson.

CallieOK

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2011, 11:40:32 PM »

I've been reading back through the posts - "getting acquainted", so to speak.   :)

I have been to four Elderhostels (San Antonio, Seabrook Island SC, Bellingham WA and Phoenix) and took each of my three grandchildren to an Intergenerational Elderhostel the summer after their ninth birthdays.  Those were in St. Louis, the TX Hill Country north of San Antonio and Callaway Gardens GA.

I thoroughly enjoyed each one of these but am no longer able to make that kind of trip.

;D a bit at the discussion about the book cover.  I read the hardback and almost immediately noticed the clever way the coats and hats were arranged on the cover.

Steph

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2011, 06:11:12 AM »
 I t will be such fun to listen to the author and see what she had to say about various parts of the book.

Frybabe

« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2011, 06:57:44 PM »
I am excited to hear that Helen Simonson will be joining us.

serenesheila

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »
I have a question, which I hope our author will answer.  How long must we wait for her next book?  I am a "forever fan" of hers, until my life runs out!

Sheila

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2011, 10:25:43 PM »
Good question, Sheila...
I think it adds another dimension when an author comes into the discussion - am really looking forward to your thoughts on the book, as well as hers!

Callie, I am looking forward to learning who chose that book cover of the coat stand...do you think it was the author's or the publisher?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
JoanP, we're thinking along the same lines.  I've just now been reading the comments about the cover, and wondering how it was found and chosen.  Did it come first, or did the title come first?

CallieOK

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2011, 12:57:59 AM »
I wonder if illustrators submitted ideas and this one was chosen?  
This might be a question for Helen Simonson when she joins us.

Edit:   Look what I just found!!!!!   Scroll down to the first question by the interviewer and Helen Simonson's answer. 

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2010-11-26/helen-simonson-major-pettigrews-last-stand-rebroadcast/transcript