Author Topic: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson ~ Coming in April  (Read 24635 times)

Steph

Re: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson ~ Coming in April
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2011, 06:10:20 AM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand  by Helen Simonson

Proposed for April Book Club Online  

Please post below if you can join us.  

"When Major Pettigrew, a retired British army major in a small English village, embarks on an unexpected friendship with the widowed Mrs. Ali, who runs the local shop, trouble erupts to disturb the bucolic serenity of the village and of the Major’s carefully regimented life.

"As the Major and Mrs. Ali discover just how much they have in common, including an educated background and a shared love of books, they must struggle to understand what it means to belong and how far the obligations of family and tradition can be set aside for personal freedom. Meanwhile, the village itself, lost in its petty prejudices and traditions, may not see its own destruction coming."  New York Times  (best seller)

"...a wry and witty love story set in a little English village where small town prejudices, and race and religious intolerances are alive and well. With gentle insight, the author captures the thrill of falling in love after 60 and the disruption romance can introduce into a well-settled life."

Discussion Schedule:

April 1-7 ~ Chapters 1-6]
(E-readers ~ Last lines in Chapter 6:
 ..."his sandwich seemed as appetizing  now as two rubber mats filled with horsehair.  He pushed the plate away and signaled Tom to bring another lager.")

Discussion Leaders:  Barbara & JoanP

Steph's comment:

I had read somewhere else that the author ( unless it is a very powerful one) has little say on the covers and I know several authors who have been outspoken that they hated it.. Publishers have all of the power on that sort of thing. Explains why most sci fi hascovers that have little to do with the book..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2011, 11:38:42 AM »
I love Diane Rehm's interviews...and how refreshing to learn that the publisher...Random House gave  Helen S. take a say in the selection of the cover.  I've heard of so many authors who dislike the cover that was selected for their work.

The credit for the cover goes to Caroline Cunningham.  Will have to go back to see if she is the artist who did the magazine cover back in 1924  She must have been, don't you think?

Edit:  Well no, I'm wrong.  Just found this -

Cover : "Pair of coats and hats on a coat rack that look like a couple kissing “April Fool”, artist signature is very clear, but I can’t find any other confirmation.  It is Crenard, C. Renard, or Grenard, and may have a J before it."
I wonder whether H. Simonson is aware that this is the "April Fool" bookcover, coinciding with the opening of our discussion of her book.  Funny, isn't it?  Do you think that Caroline Cunningham received credit for the cover because she found the Life cover?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2011, 06:21:53 PM »
JoanP, I think the name is Grenard, with the G.  I was doing some looking for more info because I just love that cover, and the name Grenard is the one that rings bells for me.  With a J?

Callie,  thanks for alerting us to that interview.  Absolutely fascinating.

CallieOK

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2011, 07:05:15 PM »
I thought I was going to run out of room in the "Google" box when I went searching for:

"Helen Simonson Major Pettigrew's Last Stand jacket cover picture illustrator"   :)

I have reserved the book (for the 2nd time) and am next on the list.  Yay!

Frybabe

« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2011, 07:14:36 PM »
Caroline Cunningham was responsible for the design of the whole book, how the book is put together: what fonts are used, how wide the margins will be, what artwork will be used, what goes where in the book, what kind of binding to use, etc. Wikipedia has a good overview of what goes into book design. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_design

Steph

« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2011, 06:15:43 AM »
I gather that book design is a specialty that most people really dont understand. It is like at the end of the book when they tell you all about the type.

Frybabe

« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2011, 02:49:33 PM »
Steph, it is pretty much a "behind the scenes" kind of thing. Most people don't think about why a type style is used or who chooses the artwork/photos to include in a book. In fact, I don't generally notice that the person responsible is credited. More often, I see a credit for the cover design, not the whole book. Anyway, for the most part, the format regarding what goes in what order in a book has been pretty much standardized. I have noticed that publishers are putting acknowledgments near the end of the book instead of with the front matter. These books don't have a forward or intro by the author, translator or editor. It's just something I've noticed lately, but it could be that I am just paying more attention now-a-days.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2011, 08:11:44 PM »
I picked up my copy of the book from the Library today and I see you have a schedule posted. 

I've barely begun reading, but it seems that "older" people are all the rage for authors lately.  Isn't that nice!

Ginny suggested somewhere the book OLD FILTH by Jane Gardam and it, too, is about an older couple.  I loved the book.

Steph

« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2011, 06:14:54 AM »
Reading both this and the Paul Scott at the same time makes for confusion..Two older couples.. very very different however.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2011, 02:39:51 PM »
Frybabe that whole bit about the actual design of the book was fascinating - you can see from the diagram the more successful way to design a web page and it also makes looking at a piece of art a new experience. thanks for all of that -

Yes, older folks as protagonists seems to be in -  maybe we will begin to have a different acceptance and  understanding than as you say Ella - wanting to rush home and dye your hair. What a comfort to read about folks who are experiencing some of the same trials and tribulations that occur in life today and in our own life.

Steph it must be a challenge to keep all the characters separate in the two books you are reading but how much fun to imagine a story where they all get together for a coffee or a day on the beach. Have you ever had a dream where that happens - where characters from two separate books meet up with each other in your dream?

It happened to me one time - the characters from a mystery were TV characters - Rosemary & Thyme - that met up with the Vicar's wife and Agatha from the Agatha Raisin mystery series.

Callie did your number come up yet at the library - have you had a chance to hold the book in  your hands  yet?  I finally finished it over the weekend and it kept me till the very end -  what a story and what a great writer. Some of her sentences are jewels.

Well my best friend turned 92 yesterday - we have been celebrating all weekend starting with a big sit down dinner for 14 on Saturday night - wheee - but again, it was interesting overhearing how the restaurant staff characterized Charlotte and being all gaga over her age without seeing past that to the vital women she is. Ah so... I keep wondering is this all because during the 50s and 60s the thing was to have separate living rooms so the kids could have their friends and have their fun separate from the adults??!!??
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

CallieOK

« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2011, 03:30:21 PM »
Barb,  don't have the book, yet - but I had read it back when it was first mentioned here. I'm looking forward to rereading it along with the discussion.

I have mixed feelings about the current enthusiasm for "older" protagonists.  I enjoy reading about them - but would like to see more about interesting older people who are leading a less physically active life.  Too often, that sort of person is written as the "pitiful" one.    

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2011, 07:53:54 PM »
Interesting - yes, you are correct - never noticed that before - seldom are they show as overcoming their handicap and it is about their accepting it as well as how they utilize the support system or create a support system.

Well no physically handicapped in this story but then I did not see them particularly physical either - just normal folks.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2011, 06:04:46 AM »
Thats interesting.. I cant think of a single book where the older characters are not active, etc. Yesterday we were putting away things at the library kitchen that we had all given for the pantry shower.. I was the oldest helping and the only one who could sit down on the floor to clear out the bottom shelves.. Exercise does help..

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »
 Oh yes, Steph doesn't it give you such a boost when you learn you can do things that many struggle with -  yesterday I received such a boost - had been to the Doctor's for tests which included a sonogram of my arteries and the measurement of muscle capacity.- I was ecstatic to learn my arteries are of a person 15 years  younger than I am and my muscle capacity is of a person 5 years younger than I am - wheee. this was especially good  news since my sister only had  triple bypass and is now facing more surgery - so that I thought I was next. Now I need to follow your lead and get back to an exercise program - although for me  just walking more often makes me feel better in more ways than physical.

Joan has really pulled this discussion heading together - she will have it almost complete today and it should be available late tomorrow afternoon - need to run - be back later...

Steph

« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2011, 06:00:50 AM »
I am looking forward to starting this one.. Biggest problem will be that I will forget where to stop when discussing.. I am somewhere in Chapter 12 currently and I know the first week is maybe the first 6??

Gumtree

« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »
I bought a copy of the book today - I wasn't going to but it sounds just what I need at the moment. It might take me a day or two to come up to speed. 
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2011, 11:22:55 AM »
Good morning, Gum... It is good to hear that you will join us in discussing this one.  Your viewpoint is always helpful.  This new author is deserving of our attention, I think.   (Promise to do Kristan L. in the near future.)  Am looking forward to what you think of Helen Simonson's writing after the first six chapters.

Steph - No one is going to jump on you if you go ahead...(maybe a wet noodle slap  :D) - we know you'll try not to give too much away.  Do you find the schedule in the heading helpful?  Tried to put the last sentences in Chapter 6 for the Kindle e-readers without chapter numbers, but do you think more is necessary?   

Later today we'll be opening the new discussion with some topics to consider - they are all pretty safe, I believe.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2011, 01:02:59 PM »
So glad to see your post Gum -  you'll be right in step with the discussion schedule so no panic.

Steph the story is addictive isn't it - the expression most  use is a page turner but this story is to full of life to be just what happens next - it is like a movie in your head - there is something about the story that reminded me of the TV series Mayberry - very different situations and characters in a different part of the world maybe it was the gentle nature of the story that the two share.

Calliei If your book has not arrived I notice Amazon includes the first chapter and a couple of pages in the second chapter when you hit the link under the book cover for more information - forgot exactly what it is called but it brings up a second PDF like page and shows the cover, the copywrite page and then it says the first page which goes on and on to include the entire first chapter Amazon - Major Pettigrews Last Stand

Joan thanks for remembering to include the last line of chapter 6 in the heading...till later this afternoon...

CallieOK

« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2011, 05:23:11 PM »
Barb, it's in at the library.  I just have to find time to go pick it up - probably in the morning.
Thanks.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2011, 06:39:55 PM »
Have you noticed?  We've just opened the Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.  This prediscussion will no longer be open for posts.

We're waiting to hear from you in the   the new book discussion. of Helen Simonson's first book.  Come on over!