Author Topic: The Technophobe Reader - Technology Help  (Read 205431 times)

HaroldArnold

Re: The Technophobe Reader - Technology Help
« Reply #320 on: October 19, 2011, 11:33:04 AM »

Welcome to The Technophobe Reader

Cartoon used by permission of the artist

Confused about Ihpones, Ipods, Ipads, Itouch, Androids, or anything else electronic? Don't know what a "text" message is? Don't have a Nook or a Kindle and don't know the benefits of an e reader?   Feel left out of the rush of the new technology and wonder  what all the shouting is about?

Have a new Iphone,  Ipod, Ipad, Nook, Kindle,  or I headache or are considering same?

Ask your question here! Other sufferers may be able to direct you to a source for help or help with their own experience.

This discussion has no "expert" moderator, we  offer here no professional advice but we may be able to answer out of our own experiences, so ask or comment  away!

Can the I-Pad ( or other tablet computers) replace the notebook of other Disk storage/Keyboard Computers?  Walt Mossberg the Wall Street Journal’s Tech Editor discussed this question last year with regard to the needs of a business traveler.  His conclusions at that time were that while it came close, it yet fell short of the needs of most business travelers.  As I remember his article it gave a pretty strong implied impression that it would meet the E-mail and other travel inquiry needs of most individual vacation travelers.

Based on my experience with my I-pad 2 (wifi only, 32GB storage) iit probably meets most of my travel requirements.  Of course to access the internet I would have to rely on the availability of a wifi hot spot to access the internet with resulting exposure to possible security problems, but most hotels and many other places worldwide provide this service.

I think the most obvious problem with me and my I-pad is the virtual key board that requires me to minimize the length of e-mail and other text messages sent from it.  I now am able to peck out two or three sentence messages but when pecking out longer tries I generally mess up in a flash that erases forever a 20 minute draft leaving me no alternative other than starting over from scratch.

Incidentally I have a Belden Keyboard that connects to the I-Pad converting its form appearance into that of a small note book computer.  The Keyboard connects tirelessly.  It does improve my typing to some extent but it is smaller than the standard size desktop keyboard.   It is even smaller than most notebook keyboard.  For me it is a small improvement over the virtual screen keyboard but not much.   My hands are much too large and clumsy for it.  Also it is clumsy to use the touch screen to navigate and the truth is the beauty of the I-Pad is its portability.  It cries to stand on its own, and for the most part I am happy to accept it that way.  

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #321 on: October 20, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »
Harold, thanks for the interesting assessment of you iPad and iPad needs.  This question may have been asked before, but  .   .  .   When flying, do you have to remove it from its case and show it like one has to do with a laptop?  If you don't, that's certainly a plus for the iPad.

I'm still puzzling over the way the iPad adapts to programs/software many of us have used for years.  For instance, I'm a heavy user of WORD, EXCEL, and Quicken.  I don't know if the iPad, at this stage, would meet my needs.  It sounds great for books, films, and the Internet/email, but can it be a utilitarian workhorse?  No doubt the answer to that would come from using one.

mabel1015j

« Reply #322 on: October 20, 2011, 01:02:19 PM »
The ipad has a "notepad" that i use quite often. It looks like a yellow legal pad and divides into pages/files w/ titles on the opening page. I have no idea how big it is, i haven't yet come to an end. Apple had also come out with some type of "office"  program for ipad after i got mine. I have not investigated that, but i was told it that it would include excell, etc.

I posted this in "library", thought some of you might not see it there........

I think i mentioned many months ago the learnoutloud.com site that has thousands of audiobooks and lectures from universities you can download. They have just sent out their newsletter that says they now have many of the CSPAN interviews and the Charlie Rose interviews and have a new youtube site.

http://www.youtube.com/learnoutloud

mabel1015j

« Reply #323 on: October 20, 2011, 01:18:25 PM »
That youtube site has art masterpieces and "lectures" on them, i'm sure they will be adding many more very soon.

Harold, i am still pecking away w/ one finger on my ipad because i have a cover that stands the ipad up as on an easel, so it's not conducive to two hand typing for me. It is slower than 2 hand typing and i tend not to capitalize as you've noticed but it suffices.

Jean

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #324 on: October 26, 2011, 09:18:57 AM »
Does an E-Reader grow heavier when you add more books?  Ask yourself if you really want to know.

The Weight of Memory

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #325 on: October 26, 2011, 11:45:18 AM »
Love it, Pedln!!  I figure since I only have a little over 200 books on mine, and it'll hold 6,000 without adding an SD card, I haven't added much.  I've never heard of those minute weights... "atogram,” or 10–18 grams.  My pathetic math brain can't even imagine that...like looking at the sky and trying to grasp distances in "light years."  I just take the word of scientist that it's a looooong time.

jane

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #326 on: October 27, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »
I'm not as strong as I was, but I think I can still lift an "atogram".

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #327 on: October 28, 2011, 10:48:32 AM »
There seems to be a lot of "buzz" out there about a new KindleFire coming out  Nov 15.

The website says it also has WiFi, like the NookColor...and cheaper at $199.00

KindleFire

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #328 on: October 28, 2011, 12:30:53 PM »
Our son-in-law who has had a Kindle for about a year is chomping at the bit to get a Kindle Fire.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #329 on: October 28, 2011, 01:00:41 PM »
Well, if he does get it, MaryZ, be sure to tell us all about it.  This is the one that's like an iPad? but is about the same size as a kindle?

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #330 on: October 28, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »
I just read all the above posting.  I wonder if I can even use a IPAD at home as all can get for computer is dial up.  Old telephone lines with no Fibre optic planned for this area for few more years.

Now our local library has gotten a Loan program just starting. Comes under the name. "My Media Mall"  Not quite understanding how they work and so I will sit with them for awhile before I decide.  Don't want to invest $499 if not what I want.
Looks like you still have to have a computer in order to use this service.  My desktop I believe will be to slow as I only have Dial up on it.
I do have a laptop so  can get WiFi at the library. Fact it now seems that one can get it all over town.  The library is just 3 min. away from me and so I use it a lot.  Impossible for me to download anything using Dial up.

Friend just put name down to get the New Kindle Fire that will be out middle of November. It will do lot more than the orig. Kindle they say.  Also coloured but still only a 7 inch screen. I like a 9 inch.  This Kindle fire will be only $199.

LarryHanna

« Reply #331 on: October 29, 2011, 05:24:38 PM »
I ordered a Kindle Fire several weeks ago after my wife read about it and was interested in it.  It is suppose to be delivered after November 21st since I didn't shell out the extra $6.95 to get during the first week.  We are looking forward to getting it.  I have a pretty good idea about what it is going to do as have the android smart phone and also the Pandigital e-book reader that has some android programs on it.  So maybe about three weeks from now I will be able to give you a preliminary report.

JeanneP, you could certainly use the iPad at your library but doubt you would be able to get online at home with the dialup.  You might want to do a Google search on that question or contact an Apple store or write to Apple and ask them if it would work with dialup. 
LarryBIG BOX

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #332 on: October 31, 2011, 08:21:15 PM »
Sigh. I'm technologically behind again. My kindlr is obsolete after less than a year. But I still love it!

Frybabe

« Reply #333 on: November 25, 2011, 04:29:51 PM »
My Kindle is an old 3G model with a keyboard. It is no longer made, of course, but neither are any of the accessories apparently. I was hoping to get a different cover for it, but the newer Kindles are taller. This morning, when I went to plug it in to recharge the battery, I discovered that the cable is crumbling off of it. It looks like that was a big problem for the original cable. Lots of other people complained about it. Anyhow, I found one on Amazon that everyone is praising, and it supposedly fits into the wall adapter nicely too. It appears much more sturdy. Hopefully it will fit like the others claim.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #334 on: December 05, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »
Jeanne P, I would call  Verizon and ask them if in your area you would have a good enough signal to use an IPad with them. They offer for those who do not have a phone with them but can get their signals (me) where no other is available a very economical plan where you pay as you go for what you use, you can see it on their website. But I'd call and find out. I'm now paying $30.00 per month for 2 Gigabytes of download and I, to date, am only using 1, but we may not want to do the same things. I'd check it out with them?

Good luck with that, Frybabe, I had not heard about the cable crumbling, it's good to have this place where we can hear these things. :)

I came in to report on my IPAD and the charge I pay since I don't have a phone line or anything connected to it, it's a pay as you go per usage thing. I took out originally 5 G a month plan for $50.00, but I'm only using 1 G a month and I'm doing what I thought was a good bit of downloading, so I've lowered the plan to 2 G for $30.

My question IS, I think it would support Netflix and I understand from reading the information about it that these movies are somehow zipped to your device and the software you have installed on it, so there is no long drawn out watching the loading circle spin. Does anybody know if this is correct and what sort of Gigabytes a download of this kind uses?

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

mabel1015j

« Reply #335 on: December 16, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »
I know some of you are classical music fans. I saw this in my Openculture newsletter today, thought you might like to add it to your "browsing" bookmarks. In the first sentence there is a link to free scores for classical music. In the last phrase of the first paragraph is a link to audios. Just keep clicking thru the pages til you get to what interests you.

http://www.openculture.com/2011/02/classicalscores.html

GeneJ

« Reply #336 on: December 26, 2011, 01:40:52 PM »
A few months ago I began to think about acquiring an e-reader, and I was leaning toward a Kindle. And once I began looking at what was available on the market my choice became more difficult. Color or not, sound or not, keyboard or not, etc.  Soon I realized that I needed to narrow down to just the specifics of my needs. Reading books is all I wanted, so I determined that the e-ink technology of the Kindle is what I preferred. Sound was not necessary, nor was color.

Along the way I determined that the keyboard would be useful in ordering books by author or title. So that was included. Then someone told me that if I had a home computer I did not need a keyboard on the Kindle, as I could use the computer for looking up and ordering books to go on the Kindle.

I will be using whatever unit I purchase around a limited home base so the need for the 3G connectibility is not an issue.

So I’m leaning towards the basic Kindle at $79.  It’s an easy way for me to get my feet wet. Does this make any sense?

I have read numerous customer comments on the Amazon.com website, sometimes I feel I have too much information to deal with.

I would appreciate any comments.   :)

mabel1015j

« Reply #337 on: December 26, 2011, 01:47:55 PM »
GeneJ - i don't have the Kindle bcs i have an ipad, but all that have commented here have been very happy w/ their Kindle, and that's a great price.

Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #338 on: December 26, 2011, 01:58:53 PM »
Gene, I actually like browsing and purchasing my Kindle e-books on the computer rather than through the link to the Kindle Store on my reader. It's a lot faster to browse and find things I want. When I purchase it that way, the ebook downloads automatically to my reader as soon as I turn on the wireless connection.

My Kindle is a 3G with a keyboard. I rarely use the keyboard now that I got rid of the two word games I downloaded. I like word games, but I was playing them way too much. My Kindle got to to point that it was rebooting itself and not shutting down correctly. After I trashed the games, it works so much better. The other sources of ebooks that I get are from Project Gutenberg, and Manybooks.net. Both are free ebook sites. I download the appropriate files to my computer and then copy them into the documents folder on the Kindle without any problems. I have not used the audio, but may try an audio book some time in the future just to see what the sound is like. I do not share, or use the bookmark and highlight features - at least not yet.

Oh, one thing a lot of Kindle customers are coming up against is that cable coating cracks off after about a year or a year and a half. I don't know if that has been corrected for the newer units. The replacement I got is sturdier and fits just fine. Needless to say I did not order Amazon's brand. I'll have to wait and see how long this one lasts.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #339 on: December 26, 2011, 02:42:41 PM »
Like Frybabe, I browse and order books on the computer rather than on my Kindle.  All I do is read books on mine.  I had a Kindle 2 originally, but left it on a plane last spring.  :'(  I bought a new one to replace it.  I only am connected to their net when I've bought a book and want to download it, so my battery lasts a long time.  For just reading, I'd think the $79 one would be all you would need.  I've not had any problem with any part of mine cracking or deteriorating - not the old one or the new one.  I did get a cover for it - not an expensive one, just one to protect it.  Good luck with yours.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Frybabe

« Reply #340 on: December 26, 2011, 04:49:27 PM »
Mary, it's not the reader itself that cracks, it is the cord you plug into it to recharge the battery or connect to the computer. I should hope that they got enough complains to have rectified the problem with the cord they send with the newer models.
I wish I had a book cover style for mine, but they don't make any for my model anymore. What I have is one of those ones you slip the reader into. I rarely use it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #341 on: December 26, 2011, 05:08:41 PM »
I have the kindle and use it. I do use the keyboard to order books, because with the keyboard, you can order a free sample, read that, and decide if it's worth buying the whole book. You can't do that on the computer.

I love my basic kindle. Can't imagine living without it. Only a few problems. The keyboard is hard to read. since I'm not a touch typist, sometimes I have trouble finding a letter. And mine needs recharging fairly often. I use it a lot: if I'm careful to turn the wireless off as soon as I'm finished getting a book, and turn the kindle off (not sleeping) when not in use, a charge will last a week: otherwise, three days.

Recently, I had trouble charging. I left it on the charge all day, and it didn't charge at all. I tried again, and had no trouble. Maybe the cord is developing a crack? Where did you get your new one?

When you lost your kindle, did Amazon replace all your books? I have 200 books on mine: many I won't read again, but many (especially the anthologies) i would hate to have to replace.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #342 on: December 26, 2011, 05:14:40 PM »
Joan, I had no problem with the cord on my "old" one, which I'd had a couple of years.  Anyhow, maybe I just don't read as much as you do, but a charge for me will last a couple of months.  I always turn it completely off when I'm not reading, and have it connected only for the few minutes it takes to download a book.

Re your books on Kindle:  they're always yours and always available from amazon.  Even if you "delete" them from your book, they'll just go into your archives, and you can always retrieve them.  As soon as I got home from my trip, I called and cancelled the lost one, so the finder couldn't order things on my account.  When I got the neww one, all my books were automatically there.  So, if you should decide sometime to upgrade to a new one, you'll still have your books. 

Re ordering on line:  you can order samples on line, too.  I do it all the time.  Sometimes I decide to buy the whole book, and sometimes I don't, but it works either way.

Frybabe

« Reply #343 on: December 26, 2011, 06:32:38 PM »
JoanK, I got my cord from Amazon, but I bought a Mediabridge, not theirs. Mine is black. I just checked, and see that they also have a USB 2.0/Mirco B cord in black at the same price that I paid for mine, but is out of stock. It fits the wall plug adapter and the Kindle just fine. I looked under the Electronics section, not the Kindle Store accessories. For some reason, they don't list them there.

I found some info about charging batteries in the Kindle Forum. There seems to be a debate as to whether or not to let the battery fully deplete before recharging. Also, it reminded me that you can "hard-boot" the reader by holding the button on for 15 seconds. I had to do that once when mine was acting up. Apparently a few had to do that to get their readers to function again after recharging after the batteries went very low. To get to a list of the accessory forums, go to the Kindle Accessory section and scroll to the bottom of the page. There is almost always someone who has posted had similar problems or questions about the accessories. Also, the Kindle Guide installed in you Kindle is a little helpful regarding maintaining and troubleshooting. It's a good idea to read over it before something happens and you can't access it.

Mary, I don't believe I have tried the free sample download yet. I usually just take a look at the "Read Inside" feature online.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #344 on: December 26, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »
Mine puts up a notice on the screen that says when it's time to recharge.  Then I plug it in.  You can still read while it's charging.

GeneJ

« Reply #345 on: December 27, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »
Thank you all, for your comments on the Kindle. I’ve learned some new things. The information on previewing a Kindle book before ordering was quite useful.

I would have ordered my Kindle a month ago, but a little procrastination crept in. Maybe I should have ordered right away. At one point in time Discover card was posting in emails that their bonus point dollars may be used against Amazon purchases, and I believe they indicated the dollar points would be doubled. Unfortunately, when I clicked on the link in my saved email from Discover just the other day the link did not work.

I believe I had about $30 in points, doubled it would make $60, and that would make quite a dent in a sale price for the basic Kindle of $89.

I will probably try contacting Discover on this subject before I completely give up on the possibility.

I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of conversation that went back and forth on the subject of the Kindle, and all in such a short time since my initial post. I thought I might not see anything till after the first of the year. Yes, definitely pleasantly surprised.   :)

GeneJ

« Reply #346 on: December 27, 2011, 05:25:53 PM »
I’m back again, sooner than I expected. I went on the Discover web site and found that the program for using the cash back bonus points was still in effect. I tried using it and followed instructions for linking my Discover card to my account in purchasing.  I need to clarify some of my previous misstatements: my points are only at about $15, not $30; the double points only are double the points usually associated with an Amazon purchase, and are not doubled for the purpose of making a purchase.

I would have completed my purchase but I could not get the associated link in place. At checkout I could not confirm any such link, so I will try in the next few days.
 :)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #347 on: December 29, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »
GENE: be sure to let us know how you like it when you get it.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #348 on: December 30, 2011, 09:03:41 AM »
Come right on in, those of you who got electronic items like IPADS and Kindles, etc., for the holidays, and let's talk about what's new or old that we like on them and share tips.

The biggest tip I know about any i device (iPad, i phone) is to be sure you've turned it off. That does not mean clicking the top once, it means clicking and holding that top button down until you see a red arrow, THAT turns it off. Why run out of batteries?

We've had several requests for games we might enjoy free or otherwise on our new devices, and they are getting lost in larger discussions, so since this one is for this purpose, let's list some we really like.

These do not have to be played with any other person online:

Some super games you can enjoy entirely by yourself and play against a computer are:

1. Parcheesi: If you, like me, like Parcheesi, then get Ludo Pro, it's fabulous. The pieces are so big on an IPAD it's like playing the real thing.

2.   Checkers Free by Optime software allows you to play a computer at several levels.

3. Crack the  Code Free is what we used to call in the old days Mastermind and it's really fun and supposedly is good for the brain.

4. There's a wonderful Hearts+ Free which is as real as any real card game, sounds and all  and it's lots of fun.

5. Quiz  Quiz Quiz is a Trivia challenge which is also very addictive.

6. 7,  8, 9,  and 10: There's Tic Tac Toe Free and Free Cell, and Cut the Rope, of course many versions of Angry Birds, none of these have to be played with anybody else. I actually like some of the children's games my grandson (5) plays on the IPAD, like A Monster Ate My Homework. .

Optime has some great games and most of them are free.

What do you like to play on YOUR device?

(This is not something to play with but I do have to recommend GPS Plus which is free from the Nav something people. It's a marvelous GPS system, better, in my opinion, than the Garmin or the Magellan, and for 9.99 a year it will talk to you as you drive. That's the only cost so far and it has saved my bacon more than once: you've always got your phone with you and now you can have a GPS on that phone, free).
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #349 on: December 30, 2011, 09:19:32 AM »
Despite reading the London Times every morning and  BBC World News, sometimes downloading videos from the BBC, I still have not exceeded 1 G in downloading  per month, so I have again adjusted the Verizon package  I pay for to get internet access, down again. I am only paying $30 per  2 G downloaded per month, that's an incredible bargain, and there are no hidden fees.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #350 on: December 30, 2011, 09:32:38 AM »
Ginny, with two teenagers + me in the house, we had to increase our package to 6G per month - husband said that was so much we could never exceed it.

This month son has been home for 10 days and permanently glued to his laptop, plus daughters have been on school holidays - and guess what?  We've gone over.  I am beginning to think I should make more use of the free wi-fi at the library, but of course they are closed till 4th Jan.

Rosemary

mabel1015j

« Reply #351 on: December 30, 2011, 01:16:18 PM »
I can get hung up on Seven Wonders which is the typical match 3 or more colors, w/ some twists. It was free or very inexpensive from the app store.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #352 on: December 30, 2011, 05:03:52 PM »
How do you get games on the kindle?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #353 on: December 31, 2011, 04:27:19 AM »
I know this is probably a very dim question, but how on earth do you get free books from things like ManyBooks.com onto the Kindle?  I managed the downloading onto the MacBook fine, but then it just said 'now transfer it to your Kindle using a USB cable'.  I have got the cable in place, but now I don't know what to do.  If anyone does know, could they explain it very very slowly  ::)?  Thanks lots,

Rosemary

Frybabe

« Reply #354 on: December 31, 2011, 08:58:55 AM »
Rosemarykaye, I am not sure how you get to it in MacBook, but in the menu that shows what drives are connected to your computer, you should be able click on the drive that designates the Kindle, open the drive to see your folders, open the document folder and then copy the download into it. I am assuming you downloaded your file to the Mac desktop. Someone who has a Macbook can probably give you better instructions. I am going from memory from when I used a Mac computer at work. I don't know if the MacBook file system is set up in a similar manner.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #355 on: December 31, 2011, 09:25:54 AM »
6 G!!! Rosemary, are they viewing movies? Downloading music?  I don't understand why mine is so low, obviously I don't know what to DO! hahahaa Seriously, what am I missing? Perhaps they are watching videos? I know when I traveled this summer I really racked up the G's, maybe just reading the newspaper etc., is not enough to make a difference, I don't use the IPAD for regular computering, that's probably the issue. I don't know how anybody types on one unless they use one finger. I do have a set up where a regular keyboard attaches to it, but I could not type on it normaly.

I do know that setting up email on it when mine went down on satellite took 3 seconds, literally.

Mabel, Seven Wonders sounds great, thank you!

Joan K, I've learned something! I didn't realize Kindle HAD games, but it does. I found this on Amazon: "You can download them just as regular books"

Apparently you put them in your cart just like you do a book? It's the same process as getting a book?

But apparently also the Kindle Fire does not support the games, this is for the earlier versions (2010), here's a partial list, I see a lot of new ones on Amazon itself, who knew?

http://www.kindle-apps.net/category/games/

I am so glad we have this place to talk about these things because I read Frybabe's explanation twice and since I don't have a Macbook or a Kindle, it looks admirably complex and fascinating.

LarryHanna

« Reply #356 on: December 31, 2011, 11:25:44 AM »
To find the games on the Kindle you need to click on the "apps" link at the top menu line and this will take you to a screen where it says "Store" at the right hand top of the page.  Click on that and when that page displays you will see a menu by type of app and you can click on "games" then you will probably see a screen saying free app of the day and under that about mid-way on the page it will say "Games" and that will bring you to the App market for free and paid games.  If I am looking for a certain type of game I use the search botton to make my experience a bit quicker. 
LarryBIG BOX

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #357 on: January 01, 2012, 07:42:06 AM »
Thank you Larry. I don't have a Kindle so am not sure what you said but I like the sound of it. :) I'm so glad we can get advice here from people who know.

I have a new Solitaire game! After hearing all the talk about them n the Library I went looking out of curiosity because Solitaire is like the people who play it: individualistic, and I stumbled right away on something I thought I'df never see again.

Remember the old Microsoft Solitaire? The one which took the cards at the end if you won and  they covered the screen in suits? I used to absolutely love that game and played just to see the suits. The new Windows 7 has one very similar to it but at the end it does something very neat too.

Well I got Solitaire from Mobilityware, there is a free version APP for Iphone and IPAD,  and one for 99 cents, and it's the ONE! I nearly fell off my chair. It's very difficult, too, a bit different in that nothing but Kings can lead off empty spaces, but you can deal the pack as much as you like. You'd think that would be easy: it's not, but it IS fun fun fun and there is a hint button (I can't seem to play any of these games without the "hints,"_) and it does not remove points from your score in using it. It's a bit different in play but it's fiendishly addictive.

You can configure it a lot of ways but in the 2x setting the cards are huge, just like the Parcheesi pieces, and I love the way you can move them into place. It's a definite winner, like reuniting with  an old friend, really.

I love playing games, you'd be amazed how many I actually have.  hahahaa :) It's fun to pick up and play if you have a moment, during travel, etc.

Happy New Year!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
blank
« Reply #358 on: January 02, 2012, 11:24:01 AM »
JoanK, I don't know about "games" per se on the kindle.  The only computer game I play is FreeCell.  But I did buy two New YorK Times Crossword Puzzle books when they were on sale for about $1 each.  I think each book has 30 puzzlesl  They're great and what I like best is the button you can press to see if you've made any mistakes.

Now, what about OLD technology.  My trusty VCR, purchased way back in 1993 would NOT let me set the timer to record Downton Abby.  The clock only goes to 11:59:59 on 12/31/11.  Ain't that the pits.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #359 on: January 02, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »
LARRY: you lost me at the beginning. What is the "top menu line"? But I found some games through the link above. Thanks!