Author Topic: The Library  (Read 197023 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: The Library
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2008, 10:40:47 PM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat always out.
Do come in and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not) right now.

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

Gumtree

« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2009, 01:48:08 AM »
To the Orlando fans, I strongly recommend the 1992 movie.  It does a surprisingly good job of visualizing the book.  Tilda Swinton is superb as Orlando, and Quentin Crisp is hilarious as Queen Elizabeth.

The book has several scenes I found so memorable that I continue to think of them.  One is the freezing of the Thames in Elizabethan England, and the resulting skating, setting up of pavilions, etc.  Another is the coming of Victorianism, which starts out as a blot of ink, and spreads to take in the stifling fecundity and elaborate ornateness of Victorian England.

PatH I was trying to think of Swinton's name - she was just brilliant in all the incarnations - though I had trouble with the modern Orlando. I had forgotten about Quentin Crisp - what a role to ham it up!

I think Tilda Swinton played  The White Witch in the adaptation of C.S.Lewis' The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

The conversations on this site bring back so many memories of 'Books Past & Present' and the promise of many 'Books Future'  Love It!

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Steph

« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2009, 10:19:59 AM »
Judy, I am so very glad to be back with the library and books..We go out for a festive New Years Eve lunch, bring dessert home and eat it New Years eve for dinner.. Never ever make midnight. Our ond remaining Corgi is not fond of New Years Eve.. Too many firecrackers in the south for him. We are going to a New Years open house today and will have ham and blackeyed peas.. Tradition fare for good luck here in the south.
I still belong to the paperback book swap.. Great way to get a variety of books. Am trying all sorts of new authors through that.. Ones that you are not sure whether to buy or not.
For vampire and werewolf fans.. Patricia Briggs who writes sci-fi has an excellent three book series on a shape changer who is a coyote..and a mechanic and female.. Fun..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2009, 10:44:32 AM »
Happy New Year to one and all. ;)

Steph, you are new name to me. Did you go by something else on the SN?? Anyway, welcome back to most happy site on the net.  Hope your New Year's Eve was joyous.

We were actually able to stay up to watch the ball fall!  But, I wouldn't want to be in the that crowd at Times Square.  We had pork roast and sauerkraut(one must have pork and cabbage to have good luck in 2009) for dinner at our son's home and then played a bunch of games.  Mexican Train dominoes is our favorite and takes awhile to finish.  The children even play.

And the kids played their newest x-box or Wii with much enthusiam. They have formed a four piece band and do a play along with the Wii.  My BMI was presented to me after some small tests on the Wii pad such as balance and age and height.  I am told by the Wii computer, that I am in pretty good shape for the shape that I'm in!!!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2009, 11:29:25 AM »
Steph, thanks for telling us about Briggs--sounds good.  I'll get the old sci-fi site running again soon, hope all who are interested will look in when I do.

Robby

« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2009, 12:12:13 PM »
Jane:

I just finished listening to the Diane Rehm show on NPR.  Are you acquainted with Spencer, Iowa, and the book about Dewey, the library cat?

Robby

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2009, 12:38:03 PM »
Steph fiction old and new will probably open today sometime. Come on over and let us know what your reading. You always are into so many good books.

CubFan

« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2009, 02:17:51 PM »
Thanks Ginny for the Birmingham suggestion.  I have found some of his titles. I had read some of his non fiction but not the fiction. Between him and Fleming I should be good to go for some time. Now I have the incentive to get some of the after holidays work done so I can just sit around and read as the books arrive.   

Happy New Year to all.    Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

mabel1015j

« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2009, 02:24:41 PM »
Evelyn - "pick and nibble" - I love that phrase!

Ginny - sorry to have to tell you that the Peter Pan Bakery is no more....boohooboohoo. The owner retired about 2 yrs ago. His dgt has continued the gift shop, but has closed the bakery. Our family had every birthday, wedding and celebration cake from Peter Pan for 33 years and we had our last one last Memorial day for our dgt's birthday celebration and we all cried in our sweet tea! :) There is no cake like Peter Pan's.

On to  more pleasant things - this is not about books, but it was so good i must past on the info .......... CSPAN1 is repeating it's White House series tomorrow afternoon and evening. If you didn't see Laura Bush's tour w/ Brian Lamb of the family quarters, try to see it. It's just wonderful! They also showed a video of Harry Truman giving a tour after the renovation and Jackie Kennedy's tour, which i'm sure many of you saw on first presentation. And they have a tour by Lady Bird, much of it had not been shown on tv before. ...........they are also repeating the Lincoln series today, if that's your interest...................Good Luck to the Nittany Lions (Penn State - for you non Pa folks) and their fans!............Happy New Year everyone.......................jean

Aberlaine

« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2009, 02:36:37 PM »
I'm so excited about the opening of The Library, Fiction Old and New and others here.  I get my book list updated by reading what others say about books.  I participated in the discussion of the first book of The Raj Quartet and when you get the discussion of the fourth book up and running, I'd love to join you again.

I'm looking forward to the February book, whatever it may be.  I'm hoping for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society because I'm reading it for my f2f book group.  It's so popular here that I can only keep the book for one week.  Will probably purchase it since one week is never enough time for me to read a book.

It's so nice to be home!!  Kudos to Ginny, JoanP, Jane and Pat for giving us such a wonderful place to meet - forever!

Nancy

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #130 on: January 01, 2009, 02:36:57 PM »
Me?  I'm happy too !  We live in a cool climate - - - temp - 27o today, with a good covering of snow outside, lit by a bright Alberta sun, in a blue Alberta sky - - - the house is comfortably warm, and we have loving and attentive kids (if you can call them kids at over 55 years) - - - what more can one ask for?

Oh yes, we have a place to verbalize our feelings, and we have people who can help us to channel our thoughts, right here on the net.

Any day now we will have our Story of Civilization going again, and Heaven can wait.

Brian.

mabel1015j

« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2009, 02:53:12 PM »
Ana - our family also plays Mexican Train dominoes. It's a great family game. We played a game on Christmas night that took us about 4 hours to complete, but so much fun, "picking and nibbling" as we went!  :) ..........jean

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2009, 03:11:18 PM »
JEAN!  C-Span1!

I'll have to go turn it on.  I've been listening to Book TV; two authors were very good.  FOUNDING FRIENDSHIP by Leibiger about the relationship between Washington and Madison.  I must look it up at the Library.

And then Timothy Egan came on to talk about a series of photos on the depression and he talked about his award winning book, which I just finished, titled THE WORST HARD TIME; the worst environmental disaster of our country and entirely man-made.  A very good book.

I just wish I hadn't heard him refer several times to the financial crises we are in now!

CallieOK

« Reply #133 on: January 01, 2009, 03:14:05 PM »
How exciting to have found this site that, in the old SeniorNet, gave me so many recommendations for books I might never have tried.

Most recently, I've read Helen Mirren's autobiography In The Frame, am trying to work my way through the "Alphabet Mysteries" by Sue Grafton (I'm up to 'H'  :)) and am ready to start Too Close To The Sun by FDR's grandson, Curtis Roosevelt.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #134 on: January 01, 2009, 03:38:09 PM »
A Happy New you and Health to you all.
The south Shore of Boston was hit yesterday by a tremendous snow storm and I became unwittingly stranded in it.  The highways were passable at the end dof the day,  not so the quiet area where I live. In facy I had to wait to be shoveled out before I could get into my long drive and into the garage. By that time it was near midnight.  Not such a good omen, ha!

Today, on the first day of the new year, I am happy to be the bearer of wonderful news:
The discussion of The Raj Quartet will be resumed here in our SL in a folder specifically created for it.  I  am grateful for this opportunity to see this project through to the end, as was the plan before the SN crash stopped us cold. 
I hope the participants in that earlier discussion are as excited as I am. And I invite all of you out there to join us, irrespective of whether you've  read the tetralogy or not.  Some of you may remember the multi-episode BBC Masterpiece Theatre production.

The Raj comprises four volumes, all have their  individual title :

1. The Jewel in the Crown
2. The Day of the Scorpion
3. The Towers of Silence
4. A Division of the Spoils.

The Raj Quartet is a multi-layered epic. The narrative of British and Indian history is quite detailed,  yet it lives and breathes through the characters - both major and minor, good and bad. Some have questionable motives, a few have the courage of their convictions;  one inspired loathing; all engage us; one might move one to tears.

To facilitate recall and understanding,  an  outline will be posted of volumes 1-3 (including the last part of volume 3 to which we could not get due to the SN crash).   Depending on the number of participants, I'll arrange the most appropriate m.o. for the discussion and ,ay propose a tentative schedule. Before,  we had no schedule, no time limit, but may want to change it.

Please make your interest known here, our voice heard.
I'd like to start on January 9.

Many thanks in advance.
Traude

Frybabe

« Reply #135 on: January 01, 2009, 03:48:03 PM »
Super news Traude! Will be there.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2009, 03:59:50 PM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I had a wonderful New Years! My daughter and family came over, and we all worked a jigsaw puzzle together. We do that every year, but this was the first time the kids were old enough to stay up and help.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #137 on: January 01, 2009, 05:24:07 PM »

Happy New Year everyone.  So good to see old and new faces – er, names.

Jean, interesting that you mention Thomas Fleming.  I really knew nothing about him and had forgotten all about his Officers Wives, into which I escaped some 20 years ago after a particularly trying session as mom of two stubborn teenagers.  Your comments make me want to look into his other works of fiction.

JoanR, Crossing to Safety is another title I had forgotten all about, and I think the only Stegner I’ve read.  I bought it in Dec. 1990 at a bookstore in Berkeley, while visiting the teenagers who had by then matured into grad students in the Bay area.  Please tell me if I’m remembering it correctly –  a wonderful story of friendship.

Ginny, re: The Appeal.  It’s amazing the things one learns from fiction.  We all know that money begats power and power begats money, but I was really surprised at the control that poured out of that book.  Grisham is GOOD, indeed.

Steph, it is so good to see you.  I didn’t recognize you until you and Robby started talking about South Carolina.  Can’t believe it’s been almost four years since we were all at Isle of Palms.  Are you still travelling around the country in your RV?

Adoannie, I’ve never seen a Wii, but my son said they’re being used in Senior Centers and Assisted Living places because they get folks moving.  Glad to hear you’re in good shape.  The grandkids (18, 16, and 14) got a rockband program/game to go with the x-box.  Everyone got into the act, dad, the aunt , the grandma.  Drums are hard – can’t keep up the beat, I found the guitar much easier, but please don’t ask me to sing – I can’t see the words.

Ella, perfect timing for you with the Worst Hard Time, to have Egan come on TV and talk about it.

JoanK, are you allowed to look at the picture while you put the puzzle together?  Years ago, friends in Nashville always did a puzzle on Christmas night, but they would not look at the picture!

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #138 on: January 01, 2009, 05:47:48 PM »
Love the great exchanges here and the book suggestions!

JoanR - Wallace Stegner is a favorite of mine too.  The local book group and I greatly enjoyed Crossing to Safety , which (I believe) dates back to the author's own experiences at the U. of  Wisconsin, at Madison.  Angle of Repose was discussed in SN Books some years ago. The discussion was lively, very satisfying, but, alas, all things have to come to an end. :)

Babi , as far as I know, Sharyn McCrumb's last book was St. Dale about NASCAR driver Dale
Earhardt (sp). I have not read it.

There is such a benefit from mentioning book titles in a forum such as this - or in a f2d group.  That is how the local group  discovered McCrumb,  the ballad series first:   the novels which
deal with the history of the Appalachian Mountains and the people who lived and live there now. She Walks These Hills is one of those our group discussed. Ditto for The Ballad of Frankie Silver and The Rosewood Casket.

The Elizabeth MacPherson series is different, and very enjoyable even for one who is not so attuned to and interested in mysteries or (heaven forbid) thrillers.
Isn't it marvelous to come here and talk about our preferences?

Robby

« Reply #139 on: January 01, 2009, 06:36:07 PM »
Can anyone tell me what happened to all the SN volunteer centers around the nation.  Are they now out of existence?

Robby

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #140 on: January 01, 2009, 07:52:15 PM »
Robby...I believe they're still in existence and believe it said something on the homepage of SN about there being a committee of SN Learning Center people to advise the HQ of SN about their direction, etc. 

re:
Jane:

I just finished listening to the Diane Rehm show on NPR.  Are you acquainted with Spencer, Iowa, and the book about Dewey, the library cat?

Robby

Yes, I've been to Spencer, Ia...on the opposite side of the state from me...it's in the NW corner, and I've heard of the book about Dewey, though I've not read it. 

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2009, 10:03:30 PM »
The SN homepage makes it sound like they are more interested in Learning Centers than the Online community that we had.

I don't think they realize that most of the Online members were not close to any Learning Center

Gumtree

« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2009, 11:51:18 PM »
Traude Happy New Year !  The  snow storm sounds like something you could well do without. - my only experiences of snow have been whilst travelling as it doesn't snow here.  I'm not sure I would like to have snow around every winter - I guess one gets very philosophical about the inconvenience of waiting to be dug out....at the moment our weather is in complete contrast as we're moving into midsummer with temps around 35 to 40C - or say, 95 to 100+ F - good days to stay indoors though that's not always possible.

The proposed continuation of The Raj Quartet is simply the best news I've had today - I'll be there but you already know that!

I'm now about halfway through the fourth volume but think I'll stop there and save the last part of it until we get to it. I'll go back and refresh the end of volume three....

I'll be happy with whatever m.o. you decide. Thank you for taking it on again.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2009, 01:13:32 AM »
The SN homepage makes it sound like they are more interested in Learning Centers than the Online community that we had.

That's what happened to the last "senior group" that I joined at its inception.  They received a grant from the government to start a website that would encourage computer-illiterate seniors to understand the computer, and to enable these seniors to read gov. originated bulletins.
For this "help" all the members paid a yearly fee, and paid a little less in addition for attending the  classes on computer subjects.  Eventually, all the peripheral "meeting places" were shut down, and all the "activity" was carried out in one central place.

That was the time that I quit and joined SeniorNet.  I hope history will not repeat itself now.

Brian.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2009, 11:04:47 AM »
Pat, I think you’re right on about SN and the Learning Centers.

I finally got settled into the current issue of Bookmarks yesterday afternoon.  Has anyone read Anita Shreve’s Testimony?  It sounded like a good one.  As did Telex from Cuba.   I don’t read much non-fiction, but The Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, about successful people, sounded very interesting.  And for mystery lovers a reader had sent in her list of  Mystery in History.  Lastly was their overview of books and events of 1951 – the Dow closed at 269.

Which reminds me, Suze Orman was on CNBC this am, she said don’t buy her new book – 2009 Personal Plan – save your money and download it – available Jan. 8.  From where, I’m not sure.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2009, 12:10:10 PM »
Please go to General Discussions and more and Fiction Old and New is now up and running
Thanks Judy

Steph

« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2009, 01:56:33 PM »
Bookmarks are my reading guide. I have all of them marked up and paged down and starred and even went back and disagreed with some of their star system. I will always be grateful to Ginny for sharing their wonder..
I have a brand new Wii, but not the fit yet.. I go to the gym, but I have hopes that on non gym days I can do the fit.. A friend has one and she does say that it scolds you and talks a lot in the fit section.. Hmm. just what I need another nag..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2009, 03:24:43 PM »
My grandkids just got a Wii for Christmas. I have no idea what it is, but intend to learn!!.

Mystery lovers: the Mystery Corner will be open soon. Watch for a notice.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2009, 06:39:25 PM »
Steph:  What is a Wii and what is a "fit"   It sounds llike something those young people are into and we must try to keep up.

I have been lax in going to the YM for my weekly "fit" lately, but will get back into it soon I hope.

I went to the Library today and brought back some good books and have been browsing through them deciding which to read first.

I think I'll start with THE WHITE TIGER, looks very good!

GINNY, I think you suggested that one and I believe it is a nominated book; I'll have to see.  Gosh, have I had experience with those techologoical-oriented people in India; twice I have been on the phone with them for various problems with my computer and had a long talk with a woman at one time as her computer was down and she asked me to wait.  Very interesting!

CALLL ME TED by Ted Turner looks good, also.  He was on BookTV a few days ago and wasn't he on 60 Minutes?  What a success story he is!

GINNY, if you are around, I also got the book INDIAN SUMMER, which looks very detailed and long.  Did you read the whole thing?  I think a book just about Mountbatten or Mountbatten and Nehru would be good.  I might read it if I get desperate for reading material.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #149 on: January 02, 2009, 08:10:02 PM »
I forget if it has been mentioned here, but the "Hound of the Baskervilles" discussion has just opened.  It's still just getting going, and there is a link to the online text, so there is plenty of time for anyone to join, whether they have the book or not.  It's a really good read.

Here's the link:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=56.0

Persian

« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2009, 09:24:37 PM »
I've spent the past few weeks talking with one of our Head Librarians about incorporating some of the fine experiences I (and numerous others) have had in the previous SN discussions so that folks in our area - especially Seniors - have a convenient opportunity to (1) learn how to use computers; (2) enjoy interacting with others not only locally but "as far as your imagination takes you;" (3) creating a safe site (one of the local libraries or another convenient building) where folks can gather regularly.  Basically I was thinking along the lines of the numerous times (years actually) when I've so enjoyed the diverse range of topics and people I met through the former SN.  What I've learned (as we all have the HARD WAY) is that when a community of friends is suddenly "disrupted" it hurts.  Perhaps that was NOT the intent of the decision makers at the former SN, but that's what happened.  Soooooooo, I'm encouraging the local folks here in my area to learn from my hurt (and others) and create a local site.  Who knows in doing so they, too, make go global as so many of us have been able to do over the years.

Mahlia

Robby

« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2009, 07:42:55 AM »
The Story of Civilization is now open to the public.  Come join us if only to say "hello."

Robby

Steph

« Reply #152 on: January 03, 2009, 09:09:31 AM »
Ella. A wii is a device you hook up to your tv. You then can interact using a wand with it. I have the sports program. I can play baseball, golf( whew, am I bad), bowl,tennis and box( never tried that one yet). You actually mimic the actions you would use to bat or return balls, etc. Takes a bit to learn and I am still a beginner, but I am beginning to understand the bowling two step up sort of thing and I can sometimes hit the tennis ball back. Batting in baseball is getting there. It also has a program to judge your fitness age.. I am 71 and am at the age 66 range at this point. There is another program called Wii Fit.. It actually puts you through a whole program based on your weight, age, etc. I hope to use it on days I do not get to the gym.
You can also get programs for music and bands.. A young friend also told me that I can use a game cube game and play games.. But the explanation of what type of games was sort of 11 year old confusing..Something about a turtle dude, etc. Still it is fun. I love tech and also got a photo printer to take with me in the rv to see the pictures as I take them with my digital camera. Since my birthday is in December, I tend to get a bunch of things at once ( I would vote for July if I had only gotten a vote). Also a picture frame that displays lots of pictures, but that is a bust, since it only works with the little stick and I want one I can use a thumb drive on.. Now if only my big pc would stop getting slower and slower..

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2009, 10:35:35 AM »
Thanks, STEPH, for the information.  I must look into the wii; what a name, huh? 

The exercise  called Wi Fit that is based on age, gender, etc. sounds right for me as I am 80 and although I can still swing a bat I don't think the ball would go very far, hahahaa

CALLLIE!  I didn't know Helen Mirren had written an autobiography.  I'll get it my next trip to the Library; I last saw her in the movie, The Queen.  She was wonderful.  I think we discussed it on the old SN......

And I am hoping with BRIAN that this site continues forever.  As you said, Heaven can wait!!

Too many seniors, when learning the computer, discover email and their little bit of knowledge of the Internet ends there.  I learned this by volunteering at our local Senior Center and I was very dismayed.  What a great experience they are missing!

mabel1015j

« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2009, 12:44:12 PM »
Ella - i know you like non-fiction. I am reading an interesting new biography that i just happened to see on the "new non-fiction" shelf" at the library.

It's title is An Illuminated Life: Belle da Costa Greene's Journey from Prejudice to Privilege. Belle Greene was born Belle Marian Greener. Her claim to fame is that she became at a young age (early 20's) the librarian of J. P. Morgan's private library and eventually was the buyer and curator of his rare book/manuscript collection. She had a "dusky" complexion and as an adult stated that it was a result of Portugese ancestors, but her father was Richard Greener, the first person of mixed European/African-American ancestry to attend Harvard and who was the Librarian at the University of South Carolina in the late 19th century. The U of SC was actually integrated after the Civil War and became re-segregated after the 1880's. Belle had a fascinating life, being a librarian at Princeton University during the first decade of the 20thc. While there she met J.P. Morgan's nephew, who was also a librarian at Princeton and he recommended her to his uncle. As Morgan's librarian she became a part of   NYC society, and the rare book community of the world, in the first half of the 20th century.

So far i'm finding it very interesting. ............

Also, for history fans - CSPAN1 is playing the White House series right now (1:12pmEST) - don't know for how much of the day - in case any of you are interested...jean

Robby

« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2009, 02:35:01 PM »
Will someone please tell me how you place quotes in those blue boxes?

Robby

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2009, 03:50:28 PM »
Will someone please tell me how you place quotes in those blue boxes?

You can do it two ways, Robby...

1--You can click on QUOTE on the post you want to quote and it'll open in a new message area with the tags there.  You then need to post your reply below the closed quote tag.

2-- I prefer to copy what I want to quote and then paste it into a new message box and then highlight it and click QUOTE button up above the posting box...2nd one from the right.   OR you can put the tags in manually....use [ quote]  before the words and then end with [ /quote]  without the spaces I put in the tags to show them here.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2009, 04:37:32 PM »
That sounds wonderful, Jean! All the times I've been to NYC I have YET to get in the Morgan, it's always on my list, I'd like to read about it.

SHRIEK!!!!!  Say not so! Are you serious? Peter Pan is dead? How can that be?!!!!   Nobody made cream doughnuts like they did, nobody. I can't believe they quit the bakery. Well that saves me taking a cooler the next time I go  to NJ.

I always thought it was strange they added the gift shop hahahaa I guess bakeries don't do that well tho you had to fight people to get inside, I hate that. Another old memory gone. Dadgum it! That's depressing!

Cub Fan, let us know if you even like Birmingham, I think  Ella actually got him to attend a Bookfest of ours, that is he was willing but I think it was too far, I think he lives out of Chicago now. I used to love his books but I used to love  Revolutionary Road and Richard Yates, too. Have any of you seen the movie? I can't see the cast as the people I imagined so long ago for some reason, maybe I need to SEE the movie first and THEN comment!

. Cub said:
What a way to start a new year.  A new book/reading web site and a new author.  Now I don't care how much it snows!!!

Yes!!! Good quote! Aberlaine had one too: forever!

Ann, OK, I'll bite what IS Mexican Train dominoes  ? You always know the best games, what was that one we played at the  beach, you all are such killer sharks! I must say I was appalled. :) Here I am, nice, quiet, but at the same time,  used to winning,  sitting down with killers, and I do include Pedln in that , honestly! What was the name of that thing?

snort

Pedln, me too,   
I was really surprised at the control that poured out of that book.
  Really almost puts another strange dimension to the world (we're talking about John Grisham's The Appeal), still reading it, good book. Keep thinking Barbarians at the Gate, (yes, Ella that one's about  RJR Nabisco's take over by KKR).

Traude, on the  Raj, two weeks ago I guess it was there was a huge article in the NY Times, whole page, on India and it went right back to the partitioning, and how some Muslims were trapped IN India then and what it's like today to be one. I was very surprised to find that Amir Khan whom I admire, an actor (Lagaan) and producer was a Muslim living in India, it's a good article, I put it aside to think about and need to pick it up again, but it's amazing how many modern day events keep relating right back to those fatal days that you're all reading about in Paul  Scott's novels.

Ella somewhere you asked about Indian Summer. yes that's the one, supposedly the be all and end all bio of all of them and what really happened:  Nehru, Mountbatten and his wife, it's quite interesting, to me. I think it IS the latest somewhat incendiary  details that make me rather read it than individual older biographies, tho I expect they would all be good to get the complete picture. It's amazing, biography. Look at Anna and the King.

There are such divided ideas about Anna Leonowens and the King of  Siam, it's unreal.

What's the truth? I remember Franklin D Roosevelt and Warm Springs and Sally something? People talked about it for decades before it came out, the Indian Summer is like that.

I'm really getting some great ideas here for reading, everybody here reads such different things! That makes the conversation so alive! 

Babi

« Reply #158 on: January 03, 2009, 05:23:12 PM »
So many posts!  I swear I wasn't away that long.

Tomereader,  "Four and Twenty Blackbirds" is about a young girl and three ghoses from a past life. I haven't gotten far enough into the book to know they are from the Civil War period, but it does sound like the same book.

Thanks to whoever discussed Thomas Fleming. (I forgot by the time I got to the end of all those posts!)  His books sound interesting.  I'm going to start with "Remember the Morning", since that one goes back to the beginnings of the family.  I do like to start at the beginning.

Babi
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2009, 05:28:22 PM »
Please I was there and quiet and reserved our Ginny was not. In fact one time she was yelling at Candi calling her a BUZZARD       
             Ann, OK, I'll bite what IS Mexican Train dominoes  ? You always know the best games, what was that one we played at the  beach, you all are such killer sharks! I must say I was appalled.  Here I am, nice, quiet, but at the same time,  used to winning,  sitting down with killers, and I do include Pedln in that , honestly! What was the name of that thing?