Author Topic: The Library  (Read 198558 times)

Tomereader1

Re: The Library
« Reply #760 on: March 23, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is  always out.
Do come in from the wind and rain and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not) right now.

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

Suggestion Box for Future Discussions

I've been kicking myself for several years, which is when I had a (at that time) complete set of Nancy Drew Mysteries.  They had been for my daughter, and I kept asking her did she want them for her kids.  She kept saying No.  So, finally, I put them in a garage sale.  Ladies, this was before internet, or eBay, or before anyone thought there would be value in old kids books.  I think I sold the entire set for $10.00 or less.  They were spotless, in mint condition, and I don't even want to go on line and find out what they may have been worth.  Still kicking myself!  LOL
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #761 on: March 23, 2009, 04:42:53 PM »
Oh Mabel do you bring back memories - I too worked in the school library which was opened every Sunday between 11: and 2: so the adults could stop by when they left Mass in the church a block away. I was the Sunday Librarian  when I was in the 7th and 8th grade - there was always a flurry 5 minuets past the hour that lasted for about 15 minutes and the rest of the time I could snoop in the adult section.

The Spring of the eighth grade I got  up the courage, asked and was given permission to take home for the week books from the adult section wheeee. By then of course I had completed my mission - some how the end of the 5th grade I realized I read so many books and decided I was going to read every book in the children's section of the Library - this was a double set of stacks the width of the Library about 24 feet and the other stack was shorter with a way to walk around so minus about 6 or 7 feet and both stacks up to the top of the transom above the door so about 12 feet high - I did it and the only author I did not enjoy is the one that is a favorite for so many - Louisa M. Alcott. - I was bored out of my ears with even Jo whose idea of being a Tom Boy to me paled.

But on to the juicy stuff in the adult section that even included a couple of Bodice Busters, the saucy romantic adventure novels like Thread of Scarlett - Duel in the Sun - The Captain and The Lady - Bride of Glory and Captain Blood
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mrssherlock

« Reply #762 on: March 23, 2009, 05:30:07 PM »
RE: Kindle.  Talk of the Nation on NPR today had a segment on Kindle.  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102246993
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #763 on: March 23, 2009, 09:19:10 PM »
Tomereader, that's too bad that you sold your whole set of Nancy Drews! Hopefully, whoever bought them really enjoyed them.

Babi

« Reply #764 on: March 24, 2009, 09:25:46 AM »
PEDLIN, Sue Barton is exactly the series I was referring to. I couldn't think of the name; I'm glad you did.

BARB, I didn't know there was a Dr. Pepper museum! I'm trying to imagine what a museum like that would present.  Incidentally, I never liked coffee, either. Love the smell of roasting coffee beans, but not the beverage. I prefer my caffeine cold, and still drink Dr. Pepper!

GINNY, yes! I had forgotten about Cherry Ames.  Reading these posts, it becomes clear that we have all enjoyed much the same books in our growing years. No wonder we all have so much in common!

FLAJEAN, no Christmas or birthday was complete that did not include a book! Happily, all my family understood this and cheerfully complied.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #765 on: March 24, 2009, 01:31:17 PM »
One more day to add your two cents about Jeeves in The Springtime and in the discussion we are looking for suggestions for our May - Marj got her dibs in early and so we went with it for April when we will read The Ransom of Red Chief by O'Henry.

The short stories we are reading must be on-line - and either humorous, witty or a satire. Before long we'll know the sublet differences - we are so used to what is called farce as humor today and then satire as in Saturday Night Live that all the other forms or humor are a blur. Back to our discussion - they are only 10 day discussions that start in the middle of the month - Next month is an easy date to choose - the 15th TAX due date.

Here is the link to Jeeves... http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=352.40
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ALF43

« Reply #766 on: March 24, 2009, 02:03:02 PM »
Oh my gosh!  The Ransom of Red Chief?  That takes me back a few hundred years, Barb.  Will there be a ling, online for us?
I'm in, I would love to reread some of these short stories.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Steph

« Reply #767 on: March 24, 2009, 04:31:37 PM »
I never liked Nancy Drew, but I had an aunt who collected the entire series. She had sons, but she didnt care. She loved Nancy Drew her whole life. Wonder what happened to her collection.
I loved horse books.. My Friend Flicka,, Misty of Chincoteague,Black Beauty, etc,etc and dog books.. Lad,A dog,, Still meadow( all about cocker spaniels and I had two of them). Animal crazy my whole life and still going strong.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Frybabe

« Reply #768 on: March 24, 2009, 04:39:17 PM »
I don't remember ever reading The Ransom of Red Chief. I do remember we read an O'Henry, but I believe it was set in an urban area. Did he write Gift of the Magi? That sounds about right. Now I will have to go and Google it.  Oh yes! He did.

CallieOK

« Reply #769 on: March 24, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »
Oh my, what memories have surfaced reading these recent posts.

Yes to Nancy Drew and The Bobbsey Twins!
I still have two Nancy Drews but my granddaughter-the-reader likes the newer ones and thinks these are "old fashioned".
Mother gave all of the Bobbsey Twin books to a younger friend (without telling me!).  This friend now lives in another OKC suburb and we have a teasing thing going about her giving them back.

I also loved Mary Poppins and Mary Poppins Comes Back.  Don't know what happened to the first one (maybe that friend has it!) but I have the second one.  Granddaughter did read it.

One Christmas, I was given a matched set of "Little Women", "Little Men" and "Jo's Boys".  Those also now belong to my granddaughter.

Did anyone read The Little Colonel series? Or see the Shirley Temple movie?  The entire set was handed down to me from my mother and her two sisters.

I remember sneakily reading Forever Amber when I baby-sat for one particular family when I was about 15.

Frybabe

« Reply #770 on: March 24, 2009, 08:05:21 PM »
I read the Nancy Drew books, my sister read the Bobbsey Twin books. I never knew The Little Colonel was a book series, but I did see all of the Shirley Temple movies. I also read Black Beauty and the Black Stallion series, Little Women. Had a Book of Knowledge encyclopedia set and its' Lands and Peoples seven volume set that I used frequently. They went to my little sister. Never read the Hardy Boys, but watched the TV version. I graduated to the likes of Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, She, King Solomon's Mines, Three Musketeers, Count of Monte Cristo, various Cowboy books (but not Zane Grey for some reason).  As you can see, I didn't spend a lot of time on romance novels.

Gumtree

« Reply #771 on: March 24, 2009, 10:39:31 PM »
Golly MOSES, are we here au courant or what? Those of you who take the NY Times will be startled to see TODAY an article on the very book,  Gum: it's Robyn Davidson,  and the book is Tracks.  Yes she went alone, at 27, in 1977

Ginny Thanks for that title - I had forgotten all about Robyn Davidson. I don't think I've read her book but her trek ended up at a tiny place called Hamelin Bay which is  about 200 miles south of where I live.
Normally Hamelin Bay is never in the news - but would you believe that for the past two days the local news  Bulletins are  all about Hamelin Bay where a pod of 84 long finned pilot whales and some dolphins had beached themselves and hundreds of people were trying to keep them alive and shepherd them out to sea again. Hamelin Bay is very dangerous - shallow and rocky - sadly despite all efforts only ten whales survived after being transported down the coast to more a more favourable launching point. H'm  au courant or what! 8)
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #772 on: March 25, 2009, 05:08:26 AM »
Oh, Callie, how cool to see someone else mentioning "The Little Colonel" books.  I read all of them while in grade school and thought them very good.  I started to collect them at library sales over the last few years but then I reread the first book and realized how backward they were for this time and place.  I was graced with the first one while eating at a restaurant in Ithaca, NY years ago.  The manager gave it to me just because I asked her the price of that one book and it wasn't marked.  The shelves throughout the restaurant were loaded with old books and old titles.  I still have that one plus two others I bought at the Ithaca library sale during a visit with my daughter and family.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Steph

« Reply #773 on: March 25, 2009, 09:59:44 AM »
Never realized that The Little Colonel was a series of books.  I got the Bobbsey twins each Christmas and birthday and another series called ( I think) Honey Bunch.. She wasmy Mothers perfect version of a child. All dimples, golden curls and nice manners. I had almost snow white straight hair..dimples in my chin ( not a good thing) and was a tomboy.. She did try though.

Babi

« Reply #774 on: March 25, 2009, 10:00:30 AM »
Oh, yes, STEPH.  I read "Lad, a Dog" and fell in love.  As far as I know, I read every book Albert Payson Terhune wrote. 
    And Louise May Alcott.  I read and loved Zane Grey, too, tho' when I picked up one of his books as an adult I thought it pretty hackneyed. Ah, well.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Phyll

« Reply #775 on: March 25, 2009, 10:58:11 AM »
As far as I know, I read every book Albert Payson Terhune wrote

Oh, me, too!  And cried over every one of them, too. :'(
phyllis

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #776 on: March 25, 2009, 01:00:08 PM »
OH me too, and you know which book of his hit me the most? You won't believe it: Sunnybank, Home of Lad. (Do I have the name of his estate right?)

The man lived near the  Ramapo Mountains of NJ which, when he described it seemed like Hillbilly Haven.  I also lived in NJ when I read it but I never met any hillbillies.  He had the WORST time keeping people OUT of his property. If you haven't read it you'd find it most interesting. I've often thought of him and wanted to go see if anything (museum or whatnot) remains on his place. I think that's the book where he describes his dogs walking around the "ghosts" of his former dogs, it's fascinating.

I also read all the  Black  Stallion books, they were addictive, wasn't there one about a big RED horse as well?

But Smokey the Cowhorse had to be right up there too. And oh gosh the one about the sled dog, famous book, what WAS its name? Buck the dog?

VERY famous book, mind is gone. :)

Gum, yes Tracks, OH  Hamelin Bay! I wondered why so many people are talking about this area!

Yes au courant, we have always been! That Hedgehog that they are reading is, I think #10 on the bestsellers list, that one is going to be a wow!

I'm half way thru the Down the Nile, it's just fascinating. It's unreal. All I can say is get it. She's not alone, she's followed like a channel swimmer, you've got to read this thing. It would make a HECK of a movie.

The Ransom of Red Chief! I love O Henry, have got all his short stories, there was one I used to particularly like, he was GOOD. Dated now but good. Remember the one where she sold her beautiful hair at  Christmas to buy her husband a present and he came home with a fancy brush? Marvelous stuff.

But I came IN to say something else before getting caught up in the fabulous conversation here...hold on!

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #777 on: March 25, 2009, 01:02:50 PM »
  I would like to add to Andrea's remarks if I could on The Night Villa, which we've got definitely scheduled now for June 1?

On  June 1 as Andrea said,  we have a real  event to tell you about. We are excited to offer an Author Event and  a book discussion of The Night Villa.

The Night Villa  is a mystery with a multi layered plot with a subject matter you might find exciting, and which is really in the news today and racking up huge crowds in the many exhibitions of Pompeii touring the world:   the results of the explosion of Vesuvius, archaeology and new finds about the ruins. It's also a mystery and I must admit I never guessed Hu Dun It till the final page. It's also packed with great information, there's no way we won't come out with new knowledge and new perspectives in the process of a "spellbinding" read.

Nancy Picard has said: " Carol Goodman’s luminous prose and superb storytelling will keep you entertained into the late hours.”

Publishers Weekly says:

In this complex and lyrical literary thriller from Goodman (The Sonnet Lover), University of Texas classics professor Sophie Chase, after barely surviving a gunman with ties to a sinister cult, joins an expedition to Capri. A donor has funded both the exact reconstruction of a Roman villa destroyed when Mount Vesuvius buried nearby Herculaneum in A.D. 79, and a computer system that can decipher the charred scrolls being excavated from the villa's ruins. Sophie's hopes for a recuperative idyll fade after her old boyfriend, who disappeared years before into the same cult as the campus gunman, appears in the area, implicating the cult in a criminal conspiracy. Meanwhile, extracts from the scrolls—the journals of a Roman visiting the villa just before the volcano erupted—shade toward bloodshed and betrayal. The scrolls' oddly modern tone aside, Goodman deftly mixes cultural and religious history, geography, myth, personal memory, dream and even portent without sacrificing narrative drive, against the beautiful backdrop of the locale with its echoes of unimaginable loss.

The protagonist is a classics professor, the author is Carol Goodman, an  award winning and nominated  former Latin teacher, and personal friend of the man who invented the process by which the papyri of the Villa of the Papyri can be read: previously they were either thrown away as lumps of coal or destroyed in trying to read them.

The big news for us
is that Carol Goodman has agreed to come online and talk to our readers all through the discussion,  and we'd like as large a group as we can get for this experience.

We hope you might consider joining us, it's a rare treat on our fledgling site and one we hope will be repeated many times.

The book sells in paperback for about $10, is in the library and new copies go for as little as $5. and up on Amazon.

Do consider joining us. We hope to see you there!
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #778 on: March 25, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »

I'm half way thru the Down the Nile, it's just fascinating. It's unreal. All I can say is get it. She's not alone, she's followed like a channel swimmer, you've got to read this thing. It would make a HECK of a movie.

Ginny, where did you first post about that book -- I can't remember.  Yesterday a friend told me she was going to Egypt in May, so I want to email her the particulars about it.

mabel1015j

« Reply #779 on: March 25, 2009, 01:55:37 PM »
Was this the site where all you new Kindle users were talking? If not, i'm sure you'll be here anyway.............I have a question that would probably receive a "duh! of course! (eye roll)" from a teen-ager, but so what, tehnology is forging ahead so fast, i can't keep up? ............
question: do you have to be connected to your computer in order to download books or newspapers? ..............jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #780 on: March 25, 2009, 02:51:31 PM »
I don't have a Kindle, but I think the answer to your ? is NO.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #781 on: March 25, 2009, 03:28:27 PM »
Tome, it's in the heading of page 19. Show her that list of what in the past people used to take for trips to Egypt. I bet she'd love it.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #782 on: March 25, 2009, 03:47:50 PM »
Jean you do not have to be hooked up to anything, you can be sitting on the beach. Its scarey its so amazing. Usually with in 30 seconds the book will be loaded. One fun thing is with your little pointer or 5way thing that you moved about with, if you are reading something and you want to know the meaning of a word you click on it and the full explanation in on the bottom of the page.

NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO - THERE YOU ARE

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #783 on: March 25, 2009, 03:53:47 PM »
The Kindle is hooked to a "whisper-net".  It's sort of a WiFi sort of thing through the Sprint telephone system.  But all you need to do is to tell the Kindle to hook up - you don't have to subscribe to Sprint.  And it does so all by itself.  It is sort of magic.  ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mabel1015j

« Reply #784 on: March 25, 2009, 04:38:15 PM »
AMAZING! As i said technology is forging ahead - seemingly, to me, at at least mach1speed!!........jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #785 on: March 25, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
By starting a new discussion we are getting into details that were not decided upon when we opened the Humor, Wit and Satire Short Stories - here is the latest skinny...

For our May mid-month discussion we have two great suggestions - We are going to keep suggestions opened through the end of the week - till March 29 - and then vote over the weekend through Monday so we have a story for May by Monday afternoon.

Our suggestions so far  are:

"The Night the Bed Fell" by James Thurber
"The Day i ATe Whatever I Wanted." by Elizabeth Berg

Both sound like stories that will bring not only a smile but a good laugh.

As near as possible our 10 day reads will start in the fifteenth of the month.

Babi

« Reply #786 on: March 26, 2009, 08:43:20 AM »
Oh, GINNY, your post has me nearly drooling. I am really looking forward to reading "The Night Villa'.

Steph

« Reply #787 on: March 26, 2009, 08:53:23 AM »
Night Villa does sound interesting. Another book to find.. My list is getting way out of hand.
I did a lot of small antique shops where we are in Arcadia, Fl. Found some old paperbacks that I wanted. But thenwhen dont I..

Gumtree

« Reply #788 on: March 26, 2009, 10:17:03 AM »
Ok Ginny Ok!  I wandered into a bookshop on the way home today and guess what jumped up off the shelf and into my bag?  You're right - it was The Night Villa-  looks interesting but I'm going to save it until discussion time.

I'm almost ready to go down the Nile too - but haven't seen the book about...

Right now I'm reading George Eliot's Silas Marner and Edith Wharton's House of Mirth for F2F groups - have read them both before but it's great to revisit sometimes.

I'm also reading Diane Setterfield's Thirteenth Tale which I didn't have time to read when it was discussed a year or so ago...Am reading the Archived discussion as I go -  thanks to whoever, Ginny? for rescuing those boards - the Discussion Archives are a simply marvellous asset to have on this site.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Persian

« Reply #789 on: March 26, 2009, 10:45:59 AM »
PEDLN - I noted your post about a friend traveling to Egypt in May.  BELOW is a link to info about various aspects of travel, especially weather at that time of year, which may be helpful to her.

http://www.ask-aladdin.com/weather.htm

Several of my local friends have traveled in groups to Egypt, while another one has traveled to visit with her sister (who lives and works for a company in Dubai).  The latter's impressions of Egypt are quite different than the folks who traveled in tourist groups.  Throughout the years, many of my university colleagues have also traveled to Egypt, spending time at various institutions and then taking a week (or more) to visit different sites throughout the country.  The daughter of one of my cousins served a 1 month stint as an Administrative Intern in Egypt last year when the President of her American university was in Egypt for a Board of Directors meeting at American University.  So her experiences were also quite different than the usual group traveler.  As I've traveled internationally throughout the years, I've never been a member of a tourist group, so am always interested to hear how folks who do travel in this manner are impressed (or not) with the logistics set out for them.

If your friend's trip includes Alexandria, I hope she'll have a chance to visit the Great Library, which one of our friends in the Near Eastern/African section of the Library of Congress helped to dedicate a few years ago at its Grand Opening.  Aside from its magnificent ancient history, I understand it is an amazing facility.  I still regret not accepting the offer of a two-year appointment at the American Embassy in Cairo years ago so that I, too, could have had an opportunity to visit the Great Library.

Mahlia

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #790 on: March 26, 2009, 05:06:21 PM »
I was at my book store today and the lady had put aside something for me that she thought I would enjoy. Its called The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. I am anxious to start it becauses she usually picks winners.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #791 on: March 26, 2009, 06:30:16 PM »
Judy, we discussed "The Thirteenth Tale" on the old site, and I thought it was pretty nifty.  It's Gothic, and book-oriented, and the plot has many, many twists and turns, plus twins, something I appreciate.  I believe the discussion is in our saved archives, but I don't recommend reading the discussion yet--too many spoilers.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #792 on: March 27, 2009, 08:20:17 AM »
Good HEAVENS, those of you who like Lad a Dog and Albert Payson Terhune!!!

http://www.waynetownship.com/his-sun.htm

Who KNEW? The next time I'm in old NJ I'm going to drive up there and see it.

Quote: Bruce, buried above Lad’s grave in the terraced area where roses once bloomed in profusion, was a magnificent specimen. Jean, his favorite companion, killed by a careless motorist who disregarded the signs requesting privacy, is buried with Bruce. Bruce, "the dog without a fault", was Champion Sunnybank Goldsmith and sired many beautiful Sunnybank puppies, many presented as gifts by area parents at Christmastime.

No WONDER he went on so about his privacy, that would make me very angry as well. Golly moses,  his mother's estate in VA Onley (sp).

Also the book I was thinking of was DUH Call of the Wild hahahaa

Has anybody noticed the changing wreaths on the Library door? Pearson has done with with the technical aid of Pat, those are individually colored Easter Eggs on the door!!!

Judy I didn't get to read that when we did, but I have it, how about let us  know how you like it and if you recommend it?

:)

ALF43

« Reply #793 on: March 27, 2009, 09:54:40 AM »
Gumtree- I am so pleased that you be joining us in our discussion of The Night Villa.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Persian

« Reply #794 on: March 27, 2009, 09:55:28 AM »
For anyone interested in following up on Greg Mortenson's comments about his work in Afghanistan ("Three Cups of Tea"), note that tonight's ABC World News with Charles Gibson will feature Mortenson in the segment on "Making a Difference."  We get this program at 6:30 p.m. or check the following site and watch on the ABC video at your convenience.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN

Mahlia

Steph

« Reply #795 on: March 27, 2009, 04:27:39 PM »
Home to a main computer doing a silly, I am not turning on dance.. Repair man says it is hardware and I dont do hardware, so he will come Monday to seeabout the electric connection. I am using the laptop which I use on the road mostly.. typing is harder on it. Copied down the Hedgehog dates today to put in the book.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #796 on: March 27, 2009, 04:28:33 PM »
PBS Program note: The three new episodes of the Antiques Road Show that were filmed in Chattanooga last summer will premiere next Monday, 30 March. Episodes #2 and 3 will be on the following two Monday nights. Check your local listing. Nothing we took warranted filming, but we might show up in one of the crowd shots or backgrounds.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mrssherlock

« Reply #797 on: March 27, 2009, 05:11:50 PM »
Mary:  What were you wearing? 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #798 on: March 27, 2009, 05:24:10 PM »
GUM!!! You found the book in Austraila? I did not see your post! HUZZAH!

I am so glad.

Mary, describe outfit  so we can find you!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #799 on: March 27, 2009, 08:58:59 PM »
I hate to admit this, but I don't even remember.  :-[ I'll have to think about it.  I probably wouldn't even recognize myself - I've lost nearly 60 pounds since then.  ;D