Author Topic: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~  (Read 280755 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~
« Reply #400 on: February 22, 2011, 10:51:34 AM »

FINAL RUN OFF- VOTE: HERE (click link) for Spring discussions.
(CHOOSE THREE TITLES)

Vote between March 8 - 13

You might want to read something about them first - the following TITLES are links to reviews.

The Finkler Question- Man Booker Prize
by Howard Jacobson

Lacuna
by Barbara Kingsolver

Cutting for Stone
by Abraham Verghese

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand Helen Simonson

Clara and Mr. Tiffany Susan Vreeland

A Novel Bookstore Laurence Cossé

The Sweet Dove Died
by Barbara Pym

Has anyone heard from Kiwi?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #401 on: February 22, 2011, 12:47:32 PM »
No, I was thinking about her, I hope she is OK.

I am no Pym expert - you need Tom for that - but the ones I would like to do are A Glass of Blessings, No Fond Return of Love and Some Tame Gazelle.  I think the first two would give more "meat" for discussion, although STG is one of my very favourites.  Another one that might be good for a discussion is The Sweet Dove Died - it's a bit different from the standard churchgoing spinster ones, as the main character is a rather selfish woman who "likes beautiful things" and is determined to have them.  She is a faded beauty but has a sort of relationship with the much younger nephew of an antiques dealer. Predictably the relationship is doomed to failure, but the uncle is keen to step in.  A Glass of Blessings is also about a selfish woman, Wilmet, but IMO she's much more fun, and in some ways resembles Elizabeth in Pride & Prejudice, in that she thinks she is controlling everything but is in fact oblivious to what is going on under her nose.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #402 on: February 23, 2011, 07:58:50 AM »
Thanks, Rosemary -  your recommendations mean a lot to us.  They will stay here for future reference.  I'm thinking of putting up Sweet Dove Died for a spring discussion.  Does anyone else like this one?  It sounds a bit different, though still Pym -

Gumtree

« Reply #403 on: February 23, 2011, 08:59:42 AM »
Kiwilady lives somewhere in or around Auckland in the North Island of NZ - The quake is in Christchurch in the South Island.

I see lots of books have been nominated - how to choose - the Vreeland looks interesting but so do many of the others...
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #404 on: February 23, 2011, 10:32:57 AM »
This is a really good list of books we have put together.  In my mind, several are very closely tied for first place.  I hope that on the first round at least, we will get to vote for 2 or 3 books, as that will give a much more accurate notion of the interest in each book.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #405 on: February 23, 2011, 12:15:05 PM »
Good idea, PatH - we'll do just that!

JoanR

« Reply #406 on: February 23, 2011, 02:29:08 PM »
"The Sweet Dove Died" sounds interesting to me.  Up to now I've been rooting for "Lacuna" since I was given it a year and a half ago and I do like Kingsolver's work.  The trouble is that there are at least 3 other books on that list that I would like to see win!!  What to do? How to vote? " Gloriosky, Sandy!" as Little Annie Rooney (or was it Orphan Annie?) used to say in the long, long ago!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #407 on: February 23, 2011, 03:08:30 PM »
Here, here!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #408 on: February 23, 2011, 04:13:45 PM »
If each one of us selects our top three choices in the preliminary vote, I think that would certainly pare down the list.  Let's see how many are left standing after that for the second vote...We want to select the titles which  are on most people's list of favorites...

We'll vote in a week.  Still open for nominations, though... :D

Babi

« Reply #409 on: February 24, 2011, 08:06:09 AM »
 With three to vote for,  I would expect every book to have at least one
vote.  You'll need a cut-off number of votes to decide which ones to
drop.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Gumtree

« Reply #410 on: February 24, 2011, 08:44:03 AM »
There are six books on the list that could get my No 1 vote - I'll have to work hard to select my top three - if that's how we end up voting.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #411 on: February 26, 2011, 02:26:46 PM »
I vote for CUTTING FOR STONE, it was wonderful.  The Washington Post review - "Masterful ... Verghese’s gripping narrative moves over decades and generations from India to Ethiopia to an inner-city hospital in New York, describing the cultural and spiritual pull of these places. . . . Even with its many stories and layers, Cutting for Stone remains clear and concise." 

A marvelous story.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #412 on: February 28, 2011, 11:16:37 AM »
I can't say enough good things about Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.  I loved every bit of it. Cutting for Stone is already on my Kindle and I'm looking forward to reading it sometime.  My kids gave me Tractors in Ukranian a couple years ago; it was okay, but I didn't finish it.

Eight Months on Ghazza STreet sounds fascinating.  Maybe a good read.  I don't know about Novel Bookstore -- the comments in the link above speak highly about it, but then they talk about disappointment.  Who knows?

But Major Pettigrew is superb.

salan

« Reply #413 on: February 28, 2011, 06:51:33 PM »
I have Cutting for Stone on my Kindle.  I haven't read it yet, but am looking forward to it.  I also would like to read Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.  Kingsolver is a good writer and The Lacuna also sounds good.
When do we get to vote?
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #414 on: February 28, 2011, 07:43:47 PM »
Sally, we plan to start tomorrow - but since you're here, do you want to be the first to try?  Look at the heading, the  first post at the top of this page.  Let me know if you have any problems at all...  Thanks!

Frybabe

« Reply #415 on: March 01, 2011, 12:28:06 AM »
I've made my choices. Gosh, was that ever difficult this time.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #416 on: March 01, 2011, 01:21:39 AM »
OK, I have voted!  Looking forward to hearing the results.

Rosemary

Gumtree

« Reply #417 on: March 01, 2011, 02:08:45 AM »
So have I - no sense in putting off the inevitable but it was such a difficult choice for 2nd and 3rd -

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #418 on: March 01, 2011, 02:41:45 AM »
Me too - hoping to join a 'light' read as if we were chatting over morning coffee - there is so much angst and brutality with the morning news it would be so lovely to have a feel good read to discuss - I know - we probably all feel differently about this - we shall see what we shall see
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #419 on: March 01, 2011, 03:05:51 AM »
Oh I absolutely agree - maybe there should be a "light reads" section?!

I have just scraped all the ice off my car to drive daughter to meet school bus, and on the radio, as you so rightly say, all doom and gloom apart from the snippet that Colin Firth left his Oscar on the cistern in the men's loos  :D - he's so human...

But the drive back was just fabulous - glorious winter sunshine rising over the hills beyond Ballater, river sparkling - beautiful.

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #420 on: March 01, 2011, 08:36:03 AM »
 Thanks for that lovely image of winter sunshine sparkling on the ice,
ROSEMARY.  But I'd rather imagine it than drive in it.  ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

rosemarykaye

« Reply #421 on: March 01, 2011, 01:42:02 PM »
Actually Babi, the roads were fine, it was just ice on the car windows.  I hate icy roads and drive like a snail, but today was just glorious - I went for a walk, blue skies and pine trees - reminded me of Newfoundland in summer, beautiful.

Rosemary

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #422 on: March 01, 2011, 01:54:44 PM »
It's lovely in Ohio also, blinds are up.  Sunshine pouring in, lighting everything.   When my sister stays with me, she will not allow the blinds to be down at all; I keep them down on the gloomy days of winter.  Try to stay cozy.

I've voted also and agree it was difficult. 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #423 on: March 01, 2011, 03:37:43 PM »
Hey, the first sign of Spring has appeared -- not robins or crocus, but Girl Scout Cookies. (I don't know how people in countries without girl scouts ever know that spring is coming).

Babi

« Reply #424 on: March 02, 2011, 08:51:51 AM »
 Sounds lovely, ROSEMARY.  (sigh[/]sh I could have joined you.

JOANK, my daughter is a sucker for the little girls selling cookies...not
to mention the cookies themselves.  Every year I know that one day
she's going to walk in the door loaded with Girl Scout cookies.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #425 on: March 02, 2011, 10:11:26 AM »
Every Girl Scout knows that the GS founder was Juliet Low.  They might not know that for years Girl Scouts have been allowed to sell cookies on the sidewalk in front of Juliet Low's historic home in Savannah, GA.  Well, guess what, some other business person complained last year, and now the Girl Scouts cannot sell their cookies in front of Juliet Low's house.

(I saw that in a news article and now I can't find it.)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #426 on: March 02, 2011, 10:56:24 AM »
news happens quickly  - yes they can Savannah says they can sell cookies at the Juliet Low house.

http://savannahnow.com/news/2011-03-02/savannah-allow-girl-scouts-sell-cookies-low-house

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #427 on: March 02, 2011, 11:58:29 AM »
Well, thank goodness they solved that one.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #428 on: March 06, 2011, 07:52:25 AM »
If you've put off expressing your preferences for upcoming Spring discussions, there is still time.  You have one more day.  The ballot box is in the Suggestion Box heading - HERE.  (The book titles in the heading are links to reviews of the books.  Read them first, before entering the ballot box.  Once you have entered the vote, you can't go back in a second time.  (If you had trouble, please email me your top three choices.)

No neighborhood Girl Scouts came to our door this year - they have all grown and gone to college.  Often, when the orders come in, they can be found selling them at supermarket entrances...

JudeS

« Reply #429 on: March 06, 2011, 12:59:55 PM »
Although I think "Cutting for Stone" is a fantastic Novel and even met the author(He came to our f2f bokk club meeting),I wonder how the most popular book in America is not on the list.
That book is "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo".For those who have not read the three book series or not seen the Swedish movies of all three books you are missing out on a fascinating slice of life from a different country (Sweden). The books touch on some of the deepest problems of Society and deal with the history of Europe from the time of the Second World War.
The heroine is quirky,brave and never to be forgotten and the unlikely hero is the epitomy of what one would want in a journalist.So I wish to put on the list:
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo bt Steig Larson. (It is in paperback)

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #430 on: March 07, 2011, 02:41:16 AM »
I have read all three books of the series and seen the movies.  Great thriller!  Don't hold out much hope for the American version as the Swedish scenery adds so much to the movies.  They are even holding tours for tourists to visit the sites mentioned in the books.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #431 on: March 07, 2011, 04:45:14 AM »
I would like to do these but I have already voted!  Never mind.

Rosemary

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #432 on: March 07, 2011, 08:21:32 AM »
It's interesting that no one has suggested we discuss either of Steig Larson's two books, Judy.  Until now. (No one nominated "The Help" either)  As Rosemary pointed out, we are presently voting on the rather lengthy nominated titles right now..but will put Tatoo on the next list to see if our readers are interested in discussing it in the future.

We're about ready for the final vote on those titles that made the cut...  

Babi

« Reply #433 on: March 07, 2011, 09:09:30 AM »
It's a matter of taste, of course, JUDE, but I did not find
Steig Larson at all enjoyable. His writing style seemed so heavy;
I felt immersed in a grey landscape.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #434 on: March 07, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »
My f2f group did read and discuss the first of the trilogy, and some of the members had read all three.  I enjoyed it and have seen a couple of the movies.  But I think much of the interest now is the because of the author background, the family situation and the phenomenal manner in which the books were published.

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #435 on: March 07, 2011, 12:42:07 PM »
All three of the movies are now available on Netflix.  Can watch on Instant Play.

Frybabe

« Reply #436 on: March 07, 2011, 12:46:47 PM »
Can't wait to find out which book comes out on top. In the meantime, I found a good price on Major Pettigrew's Last Stand at Border's so I bought it.

Aberlaine

« Reply #437 on: March 07, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »
The Help was an awesome book.  And, if we decide to read it in the future, I'd love to read it again.  I originally listened to it as an audio book, but bought the hard copy because I knew I wanted it in my "library".

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #438 on: March 07, 2011, 11:51:44 PM »
You've been so patient!  There was a last minute change in the number of choices you may make in the last vote.  Remember, there is a longer review of each title in the heading above.  If you want to read them you need to do it before voting or you might find yourself locked out.  There is also a short description of each book title within the voting box...to refresh your memory.

VOTE HERE
 for  the SECOND and FINAL VOTE  for Spring discussions.  

ps  We'll stat a new list for the next vote next week - and add the titles suggested here  this week.-

Babi

« Reply #439 on: March 08, 2011, 08:01:15 AM »
 I'm getting lost.  The "Second and Final" vote is also for three choices?
And there is another vote next week?  Is that the one where the top
choices are offered and we pick one?    ???