Author Topic: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~  (Read 271534 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~
« Reply #1080 on: October 29, 2013, 01:02:05 PM »

Let's VOTE for January Book Club Online

VOTING WILL BEGIN TODAY - UNTIL NOVEMBER 30!  

Titles below are all linked to reviews or descriptions

Ready to vote?   VOTE HERE (click this red link!)

Title
Author
Killing Kennedy                    Bill O'Reilly
Blue Highways                    William Least Heat-Moon
Mudbound                    Hilary Jordon
Brother, I'm Dying                    Edwidge Danticat
Dune                    Frank Herbert
Importance of Being Earnest                    Oscar Wilde
Vanity Fair                    William Makepeace Thackery
Wives and Daughters                    Elizabeth Gaskell
The Invisible Wall                    Harry Bernstein
Five Days at Memorial                    Sheri Fink
Ender's Game                    Orson Scott Card
The Virginian                      Owen Wister
She                    H. Rider Haggard

December Book Club Online: Stay TUNED

November Book Club Online:
Tracy Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures      

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #1081 on: October 29, 2013, 01:04:09 PM »
No and trying to decide - usually do not ask for the reaction of others but this time I am - he sounds straight forward and when any group has the attention of many I like to know more about their beliefs - Not sure the book could even answer my question however, I am curious and yet, hesitant - I notice it is not in our library which is not known to ban books - my guess is there is just not that much curiosity.  

Back to selecting a book for December - I love The Little Prince - have not read it in over 30 years but the one that has me curious and sounds like a great inspirational book is The Noticer by Andy Andrews - for awhile there everyone was reading The Shack however, The Noticer sounds more positive.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #1082 on: October 29, 2013, 03:56:15 PM »
Was browsing around for good winter books to read, and this caught my eye,  The Imperfectionists, By-Tom Rachman

http://bestsellers.about.com/od/fictionreviews/gr/The-Imperfectionists-By-Tom-Rachman-Book-Review.htm

Has anyone read this book or author?  Does it sound interesting for a winter month discussion?
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #1083 on: October 29, 2013, 07:22:59 PM »
Sounds like a good one - after the holidays we need something like this to sink our teeth into - great find...!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1084 on: October 30, 2013, 05:03:02 PM »
Will keep those two suggestions right here to consider after the Holidays...along with Ella's suggestion.

Barb, I just picked up Andy Andrews' The Noticer from the library. "Sometimes all a person needs is a little perspective."

This is not a long book, only about 150 pages, each chapter a different anecdote with plenty to think about.  I think it would be perfect for  hectic December days with not much time to concentrate on a longer story.

I noted something one of our posters in the Library said..."I tend, though, to shorter pieces now, maybe just the season. I read longer in the summer, may do so again after Christmas. Right now, so much to do."

And this from someone else - "I like the idea of a sort of poll/discussion for December of favorite books. We could open a discussion where people could post about a book they've read that they enjoyed and/or felt was important and/or want to recommend to others. They could post the title and a few sentences about the book."

I like this idea too.  Maybe we could  tie into such a discussion of books we've enjoyed,  some ideas for holiday gift-giving - and how we choose books for others.

Or both at the same time? - The Noticer for those who prefer  to read a book, and book conversation for those who feel overwhelmed in December?. Do you think this would be too much to do at the same time?  Concurrently?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #1085 on: October 30, 2013, 05:48:09 PM »
I think it is a great idea - almost a duplicate of the Library except for the holiday season - it could almost manage itself with just a heading - The book sounds like a good one for some inspiration - I never read the Shack either but this sounds good especially the concept of separate sections or chapters or whatever the division.

I can help out till a day before I travel on the 19th to my daughter's  - she and I are full up with appointments on the 20th  however, that evening I can pop in and during most of the holiday from her computer - short visit this year - I will be returning on New Year's Eve - I need a few days when I come back plus January can be busy so it would be better if I skipped helping the January choice.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #1086 on: October 30, 2013, 07:17:51 PM »
That sounds like a good idea, and nothing someone would have to spend time doing questions, etc. for.

Dec. is so busy and people tend not to have time to post or do a lot of research...or at least, that's my take on it.

bellamarie

« Reply #1087 on: October 31, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »
Since it is the 50th Anniversary of the Kennedy presidency, it might be a good idea to read something on him.  He is still the most read about, and talked about President of the U.S.

Killing Kennedy by Bill Oreilly is one of many books we could consider. 

The book has been made into a, made for television movie, which will be on the National Geographic channel on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:00 p.m.  Rob Lowe plays JFK.  I saw an interview with Lowe, and it is striking how he has gotten the demeanor and accent of JFK, down perfectly.

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

marjifay

« Reply #1088 on: October 31, 2013, 03:36:29 PM »
I wondered why I'd been seeing so many new books out about Kennedy.  I recently read O'Reilly's Killing Kennedy , and found it to be pretty good, in spite of the too many gossipy bits.  The book tells more than just the assassination, covering the Bay of Pigs, the Cuban Missile Crisis and other interesting events in his administration, as well as Jackie and his family life.  I'm afraid every time I think of Kennedy I remember reading a book where on his various speaking engagements and other visits around the U.S., as he got off the plane the first thing he'd say to one of his assistants who met him was "Hi!  Where's the broads?"

I have  O'Reilly's Killing Lincoln and Killing Jesus on my TBR list.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1089 on: November 05, 2013, 04:10:18 PM »
Great Suggestions for 2014! We'll keep them right here and vote on them in January.  I know Ella is coming in with a suggestion for a the new Doris Kearn Goodwin's book, BULLY PULPIT; Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism too.  That should be a good one for the coming year.  Thanks, everyone!

For December we've decided to skip the nostalgic holiday memories as we have in the past...and look ahead.  We'll offer a discussion of one of the inspiring books suggested here sure to get things into perspective.   - Have you heard of Andy Andrew's The Noticer - a short book (only 140 pages) of 10 different short stories? Just perfect for the busy holidays ahead.
Some of what he says counters  wisdom: "do sweat the small stuff, because little things can make a big difference as surely as brushstrokes make up a masterpiece".

At the same time, let's share some of the titles we've enjoyed this past year and suggest those for gift giving - to children and adults,  with tips on how to select just the right books!

We'll start that in December - and look forward to your ideas!

Happy Holidays, Everyone!

bellamarie

« Reply #1090 on: November 06, 2013, 10:35:28 AM »
marj "Hi!  Where's the broads?"   This is hilarious, the first I ever heard it. 

I purchased Listening In (The Secret White House Recordings of John F. Kennedy) it has 2 audio cds in it. Got it at Books A Million at a great discounted price.  I absolutely love listening to JFK's voice, it is so calm and commanding.  He repeats, intelligence and integrity many times in his conversations with various people, referring to the presidency.  As for his personal life, I suppose he didn't find fidelity high on his list.  I often question, whether the many presidents we know who had numerous affairs, let it interfere with their ability to be commander in chief?  I don't see any where in history it shows it did. A character flaw, indeed!

I look forward to reading The Noticer, sounds perfect for December!

marjifay

« Reply #1091 on: November 07, 2013, 09:26:35 AM »
The Noticer sounds interesting, BellaMarie.

I'm looking forward to reading in December with another group, BLUE HIGHWAYS; A JOURNEY INTO AMERICA by William Least Heat-Moon.  Per the book's description, "Hailed as a masterpiece of American travel writing, Blue Highways is an unforgettable journey along our nation's backroads. William Least Heat-Moon set out with little more than the need to put home behind him and a sense of curiosity about those little towns that get on the map-if they get on at all-only because some cartographer has a blank space to fill: Remote, Oregon; Simplicity, Virginia; New Freedom, Pennsylvania; New Hope, Tennessee; Why, Arizona; Whynot, Mississippi. His adventures, his discoveries, and his recollections of the extraordinary people he encountered along the way amount to a revelation of the true American experience."  (I loved Steinbeck's Travels with Charley.)

A friend and I are leaving Monday for a drive to the Midwest where I lived until I found out there was somewhere else to go and moved to Southern California.  Want to see some of these little towns along the way, and will visit Eisenhower's home and museum in Abilene, KS, Truman's home and museum in Independence Missouri, and then on to Southern Iowa where I went to high school and Omaha, NE where I went to grade school and to see my old home there.  If we're lucky and the weather holds, also want to see the sculptured four presidents at Mt. Rushmore, S. Dakota.   Will probably be disappointed by some of the changes to places which I've not seen in some 60 years, but am looking forward to our trip.

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1092 on: November 07, 2013, 11:04:07 AM »
The book sounds interesting, Marj, and  your trip sounds great! Let us know what you've discovered when you get back (or along the way).

nlhome

« Reply #1093 on: November 07, 2013, 11:04:57 PM »
I read Blue Highways years ago and enjoyed it.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1094 on: November 13, 2013, 11:22:50 AM »
A change of plans due to the lack of availability of The Noticer - although we did find the first story in the book online.

Today we are considering what are called the Christmas  "cozy*" mysteries -

*"I find that most of the cozy mysteries that I read take place in a small, picturesque town or village, with characters who I could envision having as neighbors or friends. (Of course, once I find out who the killer is, I wouldn't particularly want that person living next to me!) They are usually not zany people, although an eccentric or two might lurk here and there.  On the whole, they are usually normal, every day characters you might have known at one time in your life.  Cozies don't usually involve a lot of gory details or explicit "adult situations," either."
After reading the description of these novels, please vote your preference - as soon as you can!

1. G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown Christmas mystery

2. Inspector Agatha Christie's Poirot's Christmas Mystery

Vote HERE for December BookClub Discussion!
 Thanks!

Frybabe

« Reply #1095 on: November 14, 2013, 09:07:08 AM »
I got a malware alert from my anitvirus software when I clicked on the Poirot's Christmas Mystery link. I hope that is a false alarm, but please be careful and check your computer if you didn't get the message. I remember seeing a Christmas themed Poirot a while back. Nice.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1096 on: November 14, 2013, 09:12:21 AM »
Thanks, Fry!  Will check it out right away.  Whew!

marjifay

« Reply #1097 on: November 15, 2013, 10:37:43 AM »
Well we had to postpone our trip to the Midwest to see places I hadn't seen in around 60 years.  Someoe threw, of all things, a hard Bosco pear at my front window late one night, shattering pieces of glass all over the living room.  My son insisted that, before I leave on a trip, I get the front windows covered with a material that would keep them from shattering if this happened again.  I can't imagine who would want to do this to my house as I don't know any of my neighbors, so don't have quarrels with anyone.  I think it was probably just a dumb kid, perhaps drunk, who did it for "fun."  In any event after I finally got this done to the windows, we were reluctant to drive to the Midwest because by then it was very cold at night there, and I was afraid of what might happen if our car were to break down at night in the wilds of Nebraska in freezing weather.  We'll wait for warmer weather.

But, since we were in the travel mood, we decided to drive up to see Salt Lake City.  Mistake.  The drive from So. California on the I-15 is really a drag going through Utah.  Nothing but desert with some tiny towns every so often of mostly just houses and one of those tall steepled Mormon churches along the way.  A long very boring drive.  Salt Lake City, tho, is lovely.  Ths State Capitol Building and the Mormon Temple are gorgeous when seen lit up at night.  The Great Salt Lake is nothing much to see, just a big boring dead lake, with no sea birds or animals.  I had heard that Mormons don't drink alcohol, so I looked for liquor stores and didn't see a one, just an occasional sign that said "beer."  We don't imbibe except maybe wine now and then, but it was very different than So. Calif.   There are no call phones along the highways in Utah from which to summon help if your car breaks down.  Oh, and the freeway going thru Utah was the first freeway I'd seen that said "Speed limit 80 miles per hour."  We took advantage of it, especially leaving the state, anxious to get the h..l out of Dodge.

Marj

bellamarie

« Reply #1098 on: November 16, 2013, 12:41:34 AM »
Marj, What a horrible thing to happen to you.  Sometimes, young kids do malicious things for a joke, I am sure it was no one who would have any malice toward you in the neighborhood.  Good decision to wait on your trip due to the weather, I am in Ohio and we are freezing.  Highs only in the 30s & 40s during the day.  My daughter lives in Florida, and if I were retired, I would go stay with her for the coldest months of the winter.  My nephew just moved back to Ohio, after living in Utah for more than 10 years.  He is a loner and outdoorsman, so I suppose the solitude and the mountains is what kept him there so long.  Enjoy your warmth!

Ciao for now~

marjifay

« Reply #1099 on: November 16, 2013, 05:14:55 AM »
Thanks for your sympathy, Bellamarie.  I'm still crying over the $300-plus we had to spend to repair the one window and get them all coated to make them shatter-proof.  

Wow, sounds really cold there in Ohio.  The best time to visit Florida is in the winter time, when their weather is lovely.

Re you nephew, I wonder what you can hunt in Ohio.  When I lived on a farm in Iowa long ago, we hunted rabbits and pheasants.  Our neighbor loved to eat pheasant, but called it "stubble-duck" his made-up word so that his little daughter would not give him away for hunting them in the off-season.  We had one lonely little wild duck who visited our farm's pond.  My dad used to joke that he could hardly wait for hunting season to begin so he could go out there with his shotgun and blast that little duck.  (My dad was Danish, born in Denmark, and used to say that the only thing dumber than a Dane was two Danes.  I don't believe in an afterlife, but wish there were one so that I could talk with him again.)

Marj

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #1100 on: November 16, 2013, 09:56:23 PM »
Is the Poirot a book of short stories? I didn't notice until just now when I went to the Agatha Christie page.   

http://uk.agathachristie.com/christies-work/stories/the-adventure-of-the-christmas-pudding-1/[

The Father Brown Mystery is one book that is 225 page long./color]
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #1101 on: November 17, 2013, 12:28:49 AM »
according to Amazon  

The Adventures of the Christmas Pudding - the Poirot

Paperback: 240 pages

The Flying Stars - the Father Brown

Paperback: 28 pages

added together the two books are 268 pages divided by 4 weeks is 67 pages a week

or 28 pages one week and 80 pages a week for three weeks the Poirot

Our Poirot link shows 24 chapters divided by 3 weeks is 8 chapters a week - many chapters are one page long.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1102 on: November 17, 2013, 12:43:50 PM »
Since THE FLYING STARS is only 28 pages in paperback, I think we could (if we wanted to) discuss it in one week. It's been suggested we could offer BOTH of the stories we are voting on. Individuals could discuss both or either.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1103 on: November 20, 2013, 12:32:37 PM »
We're still working on December's selection - You'll be the first to hear what we've come up with...

Today we need to concentrate on the January selection.  The nominated titles to date can be found in the heading here.  If you wish to suggest something for a group read, please POST here and we'll get it into the heading.  Remember that the book titles are all linked to descriptions or reviews.  Thanks!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #1104 on: November 20, 2013, 04:12:46 PM »
I know it should be only one but I can't help it - these are books I have always wanted to read and never got around to - they should all be available in our libraries and some are even available free on Kindle.

The Importance of Being Earnest - I think I saw the movie but reading in Amazon the review it has some interesting messages and it is fun.

Vanity Fair - all I know is there are two women and one, a Becky is often quoted in other lit -

Wives and Daughters - Gaskell wrote during the time of Dickens with stories that hint at Jane Austin - many of us love reading about this time and we are getting more and more insight to women's lives during the nineteenth century

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1105 on: November 20, 2013, 04:17:43 PM »
Those are good suggestions, Barbara.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1106 on: November 20, 2013, 10:07:13 PM »
One that I’d like to recommend, though I haven’t read it, is Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital by physician and reporter Sheri Fink.  Fink received a Pulitzer for investigative reporting in 2010, describing the Katrina ordeals faced by health care professionals and patients alike.  We here at SeniorLearn read another Katrina expose a few years ago, Zeitoun by Dave Eggers.  I won’t say “enjoyed” because one doesn’t enjoy the misery of others, but found it to be worth reading.

The Invisible Wall, the first of Harry Bernstein's trilogy is already on the list in the heading, but I'd like to say that it is a delightful first person narrative.  My face2face book group read it a little over a year ago and loved this story of growing up poor in a segregated neighborhood.  The "invisible wall" ran down the middle of the street, separating the daily lives of the Gentiles and Jews who lived there.

marjifay

« Reply #1107 on: November 20, 2013, 10:19:33 PM »
If it's not too late, I'd like to nominate ENDER'S GAME by Orson Scott Card.

In order to develop a secure defense against a hostile alien race's next attack, government agencies breed child geniuses and train them as soldiers. A brilliant young boy, Andrew "Ender" Wiggin lives with his kind but distant parents, his sadistic brother Peter, and the person he loves more than anyone else, his sister Valentine. Peter and Valentine were candidates for the soldier-training program but didn't make the cut--young Ender is the Wiggin drafted to the orbiting Battle School for rigorous military training.  Winner of the Hugo and Nebula Awards. (324 pages)

Marj

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1108 on: November 20, 2013, 10:33:33 PM »
Good idea, Marj. Right in time for the movie. :-)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #1109 on: November 20, 2013, 11:14:03 PM »
One that I’d like to recommend, though I haven’t read it, is Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital by physician and reporter Sheri Fink.  Fink received a Pulitzer for investigative reporting in 2010, describing the Katrina ordeals faced by health care professionals and patients alike.  We here at SeniorLearn read another Katrina expose a few years ago, Zeitoun by Dave Eggers.  I won’t say “enjoyed” because one doesn’t enjoy the misery of others, but found it to be worth reading.

The Invisible Wall, the first of Harry Bernstein's trilogy is already on the list in the heading, but I'd like to say that it is a delightful first person narrative.  My face2face book group read it a little over a year ago and loved this story of growing up poor in a segregated neighborhood.  The "invisible wall" ran down the middle of the street, separating the daily lives of the Gentiles and Jews who lived there.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Frybabe

« Reply #1110 on: November 21, 2013, 08:42:40 AM »
The Importance of Being Earnest is my favorite play (and I am not usually fond of plays). I've seen both movie versions.

I thought I'd lost my copy of Ender's Game, but my sister has it. Yet another book she borrowed ions ago and has yet to read.

Can you believe I have yet to read Vanity Fair ?

The Invisible Wall is one on my radar that I've put off getting.

Looks like we have a bunch of good recommendations already.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1111 on: November 21, 2013, 09:16:25 AM »
FRy, I'm so familiar with the characters from Vanity Fair - must have read it, but don't remember.  Isn't that awful? Am putting up the latest suggestions in the heading at the top of this page now... Please check to be sure I've got everyone's nomination. 

We are still considering the Poirot Christmas Pudding Mystery.  This site seems fine, but then so did the last.  Do you think you might have some time to run it through your super-sensitive malware site for us?  http://www.ebook2u.org/Mystery/Christie02/

Frybabe

« Reply #1112 on: November 21, 2013, 09:30:21 AM »
I am in the mood for a Western or Adventure story like Owen Wister's The Virginian, or H. Rider Haggard's She or King Solomon's Mines, or one of Jack London's or Zane Grey's books. I didn't see any listed in the archives.

JoanP, the site looks clean. Very, very occasionally a site gets flagged that is actually okay. Some software downloads that are actually okay have the same problem. The download site usually so states before you download and generally tells you to turn off the anti-software program before installing a program if you have trouble. That is something I do not like to do even if the site is very reputable.

ps: I am still interested in the Poirot Christmas Pudding Mystery.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1113 on: November 21, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »
Thanks for checking, Fry!  I'll add some of your latest titles to the heading now!  It seems we will be having at least two votes! :D

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1114 on: November 22, 2013, 10:51:51 AM »
I hate to be picky, but there's no The in the title of Ender's Game.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1115 on: November 22, 2013, 11:09:01 AM »
Thanks much, Pat!  Just about ready to send out the VOTE...before the list gets any longer! ;D

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1116 on: November 22, 2013, 11:15:33 AM »
 ;D

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1117 on: November 22, 2013, 11:20:45 AM »
There are some wonderful suggestions, aren't there?  Let's get started!

VOTING WILL BEGIN TODAY - UNTIL NOVEMBER 30! 

Once you've looked over the nominations in the header here, you are ready to  VOTE HERE

Frybabe

« Reply #1118 on: November 22, 2013, 12:17:39 PM »
Well, that was excruciatingly difficult. I finally made my choices, but the fact of the matter is that I wouldn't mind reading/rereading most of them.

Blue Highways ended up being my first choice. When I say New Freedom, PA mentioned that clinched it. New Freedom is at the lower end of York County, just above the PA/MD state line. Even if the author doesn't mention it again, I know he was through PA.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1119 on: November 22, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »
Fry, shall we consider putting up the same slate for February?... With additions, minus whichever we do in January, that is..