Author Topic: The Library  (Read 149261 times)

Steph

Re: The Library ~ NEW
« Reply #280 on: June 30, 2009, 02:04:27 PM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is  always out.
Do come in from the wind and rain and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

Suggestion Box for Future Discussions

I read Revolutionery Road a long long time ago and hated it.. Hmm. so did not try the movie.. I am still staggering along with a Jody Picoult..."Nineteen Minutes". Thus far, I am trying hard to understand the kid.. Being picked on is one thing, his was past that, but how noone noticed is beyond me. The girl is simply a brat at this point.
--Steph
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: June 30, 2009, 02:24:07 PM »
Oh I'm just the opposite. I read Revolutionary Road also a long time ago and for quite a while thought it was the be all and end all of literature, serious literature. Became a total Yates fan, read all his books. When we read it here in conjunction with another book, which, strangely enough I can't recall the title of something about a gathering or dinner?  Jonathan something?

Anyway  I saw things in it that I had not seen before, and no longer thought of  it as the greatest thing in print. :)

I have not seen the movie because as marvelous as the actors are, they are not what I envisioned in those roles.

Neither is John Malkovitch in Ripley's Game but I'm trying to keep Matt Damon's face in front of me, what IS it about those books! They are so addictive, you just can't stop reading them.  Almost thru with Ripley Under Ground.

mrssherlock

« Reply #282 on: June 30, 2009, 05:08:12 PM »
Like most of us I am constantly on the lookout for new books/authors.  NPR has a Book News site where there are some recommendations for summer reading listed.  Looks like some good stuff here:  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=105259115&sc=nl&cc=bn-20090625
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #283 on: June 30, 2009, 06:36:45 PM »
Oh and the entire new issue of Newsweek is on books!! The ones we SHOULD read I have almost not read any of, but Hedgehog is on there! :) Are we au courant or what?  hhahahaa

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #284 on: June 30, 2009, 07:54:24 PM »
Jackie, thanks for the link to NPR and Nancy Pearl’s list.   I have enjoyed having and using  her Book Lust and More Book Lust, so I appreciate her list of new recent reads. Most of the authors here  were unfamiliar to me, but the books themselves sound really interesting, especially one by Irina Reyn,  What Happened to Anna K.  Yep, you guessed it – only moved to another century and another locale.  Pearl choses an interesting focus for her selections – the voice of the narrator.

I’m packing now to get out of town, but hope I’ll have a chance to explore the rest of NPR’s summer read suggestions.

Ginny, I’m off to check on the new Newsweek, but may have to buy that one for the plane.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #285 on: July 01, 2009, 12:52:44 AM »
Here is Newsweek's compilation (from various lists) of the top 100 books of all time. As they say... "Let the debate begin." :-)

http://www.newsweek.com/id/204478

Steph

« Reply #286 on: July 01, 2009, 10:16:14 AM »
I  will have to pick up Newsweek. I am at a campground with a truly awful signal, Am cramped in a tiny corner of the office to get on line.. Hmm. and this is one where I had to pay extra for internet wifi.. I do wish people would pay attention to these systems that they buy. . Yesterday I found a Panera.. So much easier.. They know how to do it.

mrssherlock

« Reply #287 on: July 01, 2009, 10:19:47 AM »
Thanks for the list, Marcie.  Seeing that Lolita is #3 and reading its description, starting off with the word "hilarious" in first place,  reminds me of the sad story recently here  of a 43-yr-old teacher who was arrested for sex abuse of a child starting when the child was 13 and continuing until the child reached 17.  Three times a week or so they had sex, once in the classroom, though the child was not the teacher's student.  Of course this story isn't hilarious because it was true.  And the teacher is a woman and the child is male. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #288 on: July 01, 2009, 10:37:26 AM »
GREAT NEWS!        GREAT NEWS!        BREAKING NEWS!

The author, KIRSTEN DOWNEY, is going to be with us when we discuss her book, THE WOMAN BEHIND THE NEW DEAL, The Life of Frances Perkins, FDR's Secretary of Labor and His Moral Conscience.

Downey spent a decade researching the book; a look at the Bibliography and the Notes is proof of that.   She is a frequent contributor to the Washington Post, where she was a staff writer from 1988 to 2008 winning press association award for her business and economics reporting.

The book is written extremely well, as one would expect from a writer with such a background, and you will not find a dull page between its covers.

Join us in August when we begin discussing it.

marjifay

« Reply #289 on: July 01, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »
Wow!  LOLITA -- right up there with WAR AND PEACE and ULYSSES as one of Newsweek's Top 100 of All Time Books!  Guess I'll have to re-read that one.  I don't remember it being hilarious.  Boring was my word for it.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: July 01, 2009, 11:18:42 AM »
Oh my that IS exciting, Ella!! WhOOP!! Everybody is talking about that book now, it's everywhere. Time's huge issue on FDR  just a week or so ago? was fascinating, to me. And it mentioned  and showed a photograph of her and of course I had never heard of her.

Congratulations, what a coup!

Charlie did you see the Sunday  NYTimes Book Review? It's got Wanting and just reading it made me want to read it, author is from Tansania? I usually don't like historical fiction but let's face it, Dickens is all the rage this summer, everybody is reading  Dickens. Big article in the Newsweek about rereading this summer and what you should consider rereading. The author is reading Dickens. I liked that article because he had read two books when he was much younger over and over, and finally met one of the authors. He confessed to the author that he read his book over and over and the author took a long look at him and said, "You must have been a dork."

Nice, huh?  Guess we found out who was the dork, I never heard of the author or his book. hahaha

Thank you for that link, Marcie.  Newsweek has three books in a little come on type quiz which it says are "The top of the Top 100 Books of All Time."

The three on the top are 1984 by George Orwell, Ulysses by James Joyce, and War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.

Newsweek then says: These are the first three books on the list.  Can you put them in the right order? Check your smarts and see the entire list...at.....

I thought that was intriguing. Which would you put on the top and why? Which three would you list in order? That's kind of fun to think about, don't PEEK at the answer.

I'm finding in general that their list of what you should reread NOW and why (another list) is a LONG way from my own taste, it's interesting.

They also have some interesting thoughts on lists in general: a good magazine this time.

But the Dickens Wanting really looks good, thank you  Charlie for recommending it.

Have finished with Ripley Under Ground, that thing can scare you to death in strange ways.

Now am going to try a Sebald.

So which would come first to you? Can you put these in order of, YOUR order of, the Greatest 100 Books of All Time?

1984, Ulysses, or War and Peace?

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #291 on: July 01, 2009, 11:25:14 AM »
Ginny and others regarding our coming discussion of Kirstin Downey's book on Frances Perkins in August.

Our participation with authors associated with the Washington Post goes back a few years starting with Katharine Graham’s Pulitizer Prize autobiography A PERSONAL HISTORY which we discussed in 1998.  You may recall she was the owner of the Post after the death of her husband and her son is now the publisher.  It was a great book with such good participation.  You will find it here:

http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/archives/nonfiction/PersonalHistory.html

Two years later, in 2000,  we discussed Ben Bradlee’s book, A GOOD LIFE. Bradlee was the Executive Editor of the Post during the infamous Watergate scandals and it was a fascinating look into an era with which most of us are familiar.  The discussion is here:

http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/archives/nonfiction/GoodLife.html

And now another association with the Post as Kirstin was a staff writer from 1988 to 2008 winning press award for her reporting and today is a frequent contributor to said newspaper.

THREE CHEERS FOR THE WASHINGTON POST.  It has given us considerable hours of pleasure.

mabel1015j

« Reply #292 on: July 01, 2009, 03:09:55 PM »
I got the Newsweek yesterday and was very disappointed. The editoral statement said they intended to do a double issue on books, but Michael Jackson's death had to be written about. The list of books to read NOW was very narrow, very political and not much that i will put on my TBR list............jean

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #293 on: July 01, 2009, 08:07:31 PM »
Charlie did you see the Sunday  NYTimes Book Review...

I did, Ginny. A good review by a very good writer in his own right: William Boyd (Any Human Heart).

The three on the top are 1984 by George Orwell, Ulysses by James Joyce, and War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.
Two outta three and I already downloaded Ulysses to  my kindle for a group read
next year.

Here's another, Ginny. For an ex-University professor, this is a must read. Stoner
by John Williams.
Chazz

Babi

« Reply #294 on: July 02, 2009, 08:39:14 AM »
 GINNY, of those 'first three' I have read only "War and Peace", so I really can't offer an opinion.
  I have come to the conclusion that when someone or some group offers a
'must read' list, they are listing those books that they think will best bring the untutored masses around to their way of thinking.  Sorry about that.   8) 

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #295 on: July 02, 2009, 10:31:01 AM »
Seems like a list of widely varying quality.  I've read 32, which is better than I usually do on these lists.  I tried to read "Lolita" several times, and could never get more than a few pages into it.

marjifay

« Reply #296 on: July 02, 2009, 11:31:31 AM »
Chazz, you mentioned that you will be participating in a group read of Ulysses next year.  Can you tell what/where the group is, or is it a private group?

A Yahoo book discussion group, Twentieth Century World Literature, will be reading Ulysses beginning the 15th of this month (July), a slow read of one chapter every two weeks, along with their regular monthly discussion schedule.
Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

mabel1015j

« Reply #297 on: July 02, 2009, 12:03:26 PM »
I read, totally, 22 of the books on Newsweeks' 100 and there were about another 10 that i started and gave up on. All the King's Men was a prime example. I tho't i should read it since i was a history/polical science teacher, but it was one of the most boring books i've ever tried to read. The bio of Huey Long was a much better read to kn ow that story.  I just kept thinking "get on w/ the story, please." ..............jean

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #298 on: July 02, 2009, 02:10:07 PM »
I need to look at that list!! I came IN to say I like Sebald and I like the Rings of Saturn, it's amazing what his mental peregrinations take him.

For instance he was talking about how easy it was to burn a corpse, giving Pompey as an example, and Ripley had just discovered the day before how difficult it was, in graphic detail which I think she must have researched.

It's very much like the way anybody travels or sight sees, the most innocent thing brings out a rush of speculation, all fascinating in his case.

I like the way Sebald's  mind works and I'm interested in seeing some of the places he mentions like Somerleyton. His tale is one of "faded splendour," I am wondering when he went there, as Somerleyton, while still not being anything like it was, like so many other country houses, has taken on the venue of hotel cum wedding venue: http://www.somerleyton.co.uk/

Not too shabby but apparently only a shade of its former self.

I am a fan of a British TV show called The Inspectors in which people inspect British hotels and B&Bs in aid of smartening them up so they can get more stars. One of the places was a fabulous old converted monastery   or something where the owner couldn't be bothered to work at the hotel business, wanted to concentrate on her "music," with the best clenched jaw accent I ever heard, but was financially unable to do so, so enter the consultant.

It was interesting, but she should keep her day job and hotel, frankly after "performing." :)

Sebald's  got one thing that's hard to get used to: his lack of paragraphing. You read along breathlessly and suddenly you realize there hasn't been a paragraph for pages and pages. When that happens I have to put the book down, I need breaks!  On rereading this morning I am noticing what apparently passes for paragraphs every several pages:  there's no break in the prose but the first word may be indented two letters, so I can actually read two or three pages now in hopes of a break which I did not notice before.

I like the way he writes, but he's one of those authors who does NOT translate any foreign language, French, Latin, you name it, so the reader is somewhat admonished by his own dullness, that's OK, so far I can make out everything but the German. I'm enjoying it: it's a challenge in some ways and a delight in others.

Thank you Charlie also for Stoner, have wanted to read it forever, it's not what people think it's about, so as was ordering some Two Part Inventions, having lost mine, I ordered it too, very inexpensive. Can't wait to see the Newsweek List, I'm now in Book III of  Ripley and walking around Sussex with Sebald. :)

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #299 on: July 02, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »
Ginny- Sebald really transports you, doesn't he? Yes, he can be challenging too. But I knew THAY wouldn't stop you! knew you'd like him. And it's even better when you've been to and seen some of....or read the book or story he mentions..you know me....I like to do this anyway. One of the things I like to do is put on a piece of music that is talked about in a book. Somebooks lend themselves to this better than others.

Marjifay- See e-mail.
Chazz

Mippy

« Reply #300 on: July 03, 2009, 09:08:31 AM »
In the last few weeks, the best book I've read, besides those we are discussing, is
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay, which is about the persecution of the Jews
in France in 1942.   Very sad, but also uplifting.   A remarkable book.

After a search back to post #285, I finally pulled up the Newsweek List.  There are a lot of odd items, such as John Maynard Keynes ... does anyone still read him?   And does reading the Bible count?  (I didn't count it), and I did not include War and Peace since I never was able to finish it.  I was amazed to find that of regular books my count was 46.  
quot libros, quam breve tempus

joyous

« Reply #301 on: July 03, 2009, 10:05:55 AM »

I just finished reading Sarah's Key and I agree that it is the best book I have read in a long time.
It presented a part of the German eradication of the Jews (in France) of which I was not aware.  I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Joy

Frybabe

« Reply #302 on: July 03, 2009, 11:00:40 AM »
Okay, Ginny and ChazzW. Your brief discussion of Sebald has me intrigued. I looked him up and now I've added his books to my TB list.

Steph

« Reply #303 on: July 03, 2009, 11:50:17 AM »
I find I have read many of the books on the list, but just as many were things I put down because I either hated them or considered them unreadable. I loved 1984 when I was in my 20's.. Not sure now if I would even consider rereading it.
War and Peace. I staggered through , but never was compelled by it at all.. Amazing how many books are on lots of list, but you find very few people who have actually read them.. Hmm. I think it may be on the can you top this sort of list..

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #304 on: July 03, 2009, 11:59:14 AM »
Sebald died unexpectedly in a car crash in 2001 at the height of his powers (as they say). I'm a big fan of novels themed on the nature of memory and history. He combined those two in a unique genre-style all his own.
Chazz

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #305 on: July 03, 2009, 01:21:20 PM »
Mippy nd Joy,  I just bought Sarah's key for my Kindle.  I will be reading it soon.  Thanks for recommending it.

Chazz,  I have been looking at the Sebald books but have not been able to make up my mind about them yet.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

mrssherlock

« Reply #306 on: July 03, 2009, 01:22:04 PM »
Add my name to the Sebald list.  For those of us who were not English majors, reading a novel can satisfy many different goals.  The character driven works appeal to me because, as a sociology major, I am fascinated by the human condition(s).  When history is an important component of the tale I really enjoy getting a more personal view of the events portrayed.  Likewise those novels which have a strong sense of place take me to the unexplored (by me).  Sometiimes the way the language is used resonates as a good poem should.  When a book does not fulfill some of these conditions I usually don't/can't finish it.  How will Sebald turn out for me?  We'll see.
Jackie

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #307 on: July 03, 2009, 01:36:59 PM »
Jackie,

I had majors in history, English and French.  I got a Masters in History. if I could get Sebald in large print or on my Kindle I probably would not think so much about trying one of his books.

Joan Grimes

mrssherlock

« Reply #308 on: July 03, 2009, 09:09:53 PM »
On the local NPR station  I heard a discussion about the Kindle and other ebooks.  A publisher was one of the panel as was a professor/author and mike Powell, of Powell's Books in Portland.  Pro opinions included the ease of carrying a large number of books on trips.  Authors do not fare well with the reduced price of books since their contracts are based on the hard cover price set by the publisher.  Publishers don't lose because Amazon tenders their usual price and eats the difference.  Booksellers lose out in more subtle ways; since Amazon chooses the books it makes available on Kindle format it has another lock on the book business, although Kindle accounts for only 1% approximately of its book sales. Books with illustrations or unusual formatting do not convert to Kindles format, and Kindle books are B&W only so far.  It was suggested that Amazon might offer such low prices now to build up the market, as Kodak did when they gave away cameras so they could cash in on the film market.  Very interesting points.
Jackie

Gumtree

« Reply #309 on: July 04, 2009, 03:10:54 AM »
I just checked out Newsweek's 100 Books - I've only read 53 of them. I didn't count the Bible, Milton or Dante mainly because I haven't read them straight though cover to cover -or  Keynes either which I never will read. It's a surprising list and heavily weighted in certain areas - much of the world is missing eg. no mention of Don Quixote . I scored 100% in the Shakespeare section  :D - not so well with the Americana.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: July 04, 2009, 09:33:57 AM »
Charlie, MUSIC, of course! That's why I ordered the Inventions,  could not find my copy.

Still reading on, now also reading the musings of a waiter at Per Se, which I think Stephanie mentioned as well, it's amazing, it's kind of like Gordon Ramsay's programs.

:) Which I like.

I'm getting with my new B&N  coupons Monica Ali's new book about a cook, they say it's fabulous, anybody read it? In my forced recuperation with the leg I devoured cooking programs on TV, specifically when I could stomach it, Gordon Ramsay and the Food Network. I canNOT cook,  so it's interesting to me to see Bobby Flay make a hamburger which ends up like nothing I ever saw. I like the silly contests too for the next network star and the chefs face off, silly things, but fun to watch. I could not get in the door of those things.

They pretty much look all the same,  even to me:  you take the cooked meat and the plating is important so you put a  little  mountain of  veg, and herbs and put a sauce over all : maybe (tho it appears this is now thought pretentious) drizzle a little sauce from a dispenser in patterns on the plate, and  voila~! Except I could not make the sauce if you put a gun to my head.  hahahaa

(It's obvious the phrase pearls before swine is not dead?) hahaha

I kept wondering what you all are talking about with the Newsweek 100 and found them online:  http://www.newsweek.com/id/204478

I think, myself, that's a passable list of great books. Some of them I would not have on the list, but I've read 50, we're in good company, Gum, and there are several there I'd like to read (note also that the Iliad and the Odyssey are lumped together, I guess I should say I've read 51 then).

I see Brideshead there, I agree with that.

Those are good books? Frankenstein I think belongs there,  and is there,  it's a splendid book. So is Dracula, which is not there.

I wish I had read Invisible Man (F)

Invisible Man is a milestone in American literature, a book that has continued to engage readers since its appearance in 1952. A...
   Ralph Ellison

And To the Lighthouse (F)

A landmark of modern fiction, Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse explores the subjective reality of everyday life in the Hebrides...
   Virginia Woolf

I've always wanted to read that one.

And Night (NF)

Night is Elie Wiesel's masterpiece, a candid, horrific, and deeply poignant autobiographical account of his survival as a teenager...
   Elie Wiese

I like the books. I don't particularly like the ones titled 50 Books You Should Read Now, but I like the longer list, lots for me to catch up on in it.

What book would YOU add to that list which is not there? I see they have put War and Peace first. I agree with that.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #311 on: July 04, 2009, 09:45:16 AM »
I think Ishiguro's Remains of the Day should be in the top 100.

I also note (am I right?) there's no Hemingway. Good I always hated Hemingway.Not so much for his writing as for his macho swaggering.

Steph

« Reply #312 on: July 04, 2009, 10:33:58 AM »
Invisible man is awesome.. I love it the first time and then reread it later.  Another like that is The Blues for Mr.Charlie by James Baldwin..  They are quite masculine and the feminine would be The Color Purple and I know why the Caged Bird Sings.. All wonderful books to help me ( for one) understand another culture better.
I am not a Hemingway fan, but have read it.. A bit Macho again, but that is mostly what I hae against 100 great books. They tend to skew male and white.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #313 on: July 04, 2009, 10:46:18 AM »
I have read 50 or so of the books on that list.  I have read many that I consider much better than many of those books.But then who am I to say as I do not know anything .  I just read.

I think Hemingway writes beautiful prose but I hate him as a person.  I think his most beautiful book is "A Moveable Feast".  Harold led a discussion on it on SeniorNet.  My judgement of it may be clouded by my love for Paris.

Joan Grimes

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #314 on: July 04, 2009, 01:08:23 PM »
Following your posts I decided to take the count and surprised myself having read 48  - t here were a couple I thought I read till I realized no they were very talked about movies like The Color PUrple and The Maltese Falcon - I never did read either book.

I liked Dreiser's Sister Carrie more than The American Tragedy -

I remember reading Catcher in the Rye when it was first published followed by Franny and Zooey - for years I had what I called my Franny wall which was the back of a door that I covered in quotes that had meaing for me.

I was delighted to see both Pooh and Wind in the Willows on the list.

Did I miss him - I did not see Camus on the list

Still have not tackled Beloved and the one I forgot about and need to read is The Day of the Locust
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #315 on: July 04, 2009, 05:53:10 PM »
At PATH's urging I went through the list and found I had read 62. I wasn't as punclilious as you all- I counted the Bible, although I'm sure there are parts I haven't read. The reason I had so many is that in 1990, the New Yorl Public Library celebrated it's first 100 years by publishing a book of the most "influencial" books of the last 100 years, and I set a goal of readinhg -- not all, but many of them.

that list was more fun: it had a lot of books about cities (especially New York) at the turn of the century -- Jacob Riis, Lincoln Steffens, Jane Adams etc. which I found fascinating. None of them are on this list. I wish I could find the other list and compare. I'm guessing half to two thirds overlap. Of course, the NYPL list was only the last 100 years, and it was INFLUENTIAL books, so it had things like the UN charter (no-- I didn't read that).

MIPPY "John Maynard Keynes ... does anyone still read him?". As part of that project, I tried. I literally couldn't understand a word he said!! So I called a friend with a masters in economics and complained to her. It became clear that she hadn't read him either.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #316 on: July 04, 2009, 05:58:49 PM »
Another funny experience: Chairman Mao's "Little Red Book" was on the list (as it is on this one). I decided to give it a try. But I got such funny looks when I asked for it in libraries and bookstores (none of which had it, of course) that I decided to forget it before I got the FBI after me.

(Or is that funny? I certainly don't want to be afraid to read whatever I want).

CubFan

« Reply #317 on: July 04, 2009, 08:31:54 PM »
Oh Joan -

What a shame we have to worry about others knowing what we're reading.  I went through the same feelings when I bought Mein Kampf.  I've had the book for several years now and haven't been able to finish it because it is so hateful.  There is no way anyone could read that book and not understand exactly who Hitler was, what he was going to do and how he was going to do it.  It is very important that we always know what others are thinking and doing (especially the leaders we don't agree with).  

When my grandson graduated from high school he gave he a list of books he wants to read that he heard about in high school but didn't have time to read.  Included on the list are Mein Kampf, Communist Manifesto, Origin of Species, Wealth of Nations, Relativity and others that are more science and math based that I don't understand.  Most of them I've bought him for his birthdays and Christmas but I told him not to take Mein Kampf to college as others may misinterpret his interest in the book.  I'm so glad that he wants to know what goes on in the minds of people.  I remember in high school not being allowed to read anything about communism.  I'm trying to read any book that he requested that I haven't read.  I'll skip those heavy in math & science - Einstein & Newton.

There is no substitute for knowledge.  I hope you get to read "Little Red Book".    Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #318 on: July 04, 2009, 08:41:08 PM »
That's one nice thing about the Internet, you can order what you please without anybody knowing.  hahaha

If any of you read it, let us know what it says, I have a friend who just read The Good Earth for the first time, it might be interesting to compare them. :)

Hi Cub Fan, good to see you here!

Frybabe

« Reply #319 on: July 04, 2009, 10:09:22 PM »
Way back in high school I remember a girl in our class who was reading Mein Kampf. She said it was interesting in that she could see Hitler starting out with interesting ideas but as she read further into the book she could actually see him getting crazier and crazier.

Someone once upon a time said to me that to know your opponent and to be able to oppose/rebut their ideas effectively, you need to read not just material supporting your position but also material your opponents are reading and writing.