Author Topic: The Library  (Read 149257 times)

ginny

• Administrator
Re: The Library ~ NEW
« Reply #200 on: June 20, 2009, 09:55:59 AM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is  always out.
Do come in from the wind and rain and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

Suggestion Box for Future Discussions

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: June 20, 2009, 09:57:34 AM »
My goodness, what fabulous conversation here, lookit you guys GO! The last Australian book I read was about the camel trek by the woman, can't think of the name now, and is that a Dutch book too Chazz?

I am so glad to see you again, you could write a book and it would suit me to read it.

GUM,  Winton  lives a few miles down the road from you?  Wow!! Wow!

Chazz, I had not heard of any of those books, where do you get your ideas? I want to try one, I've gotten off on non fiction, particularly now that I can't travel this year, to faraway places. I'm now reading Italian  Summer about a golf writer's summer at Lake Como, Italy.

It's good. He starts off trying to find a restaurant in the hills there where roads spur off  on treacherous mountain climbs with no guard rails, no signs, and abruptly end in dirt tracks which MAY if you're not watching,  lead to a drop off slap   down the mountain. I've been there and done that,  he's right. (Used to have nightmares as a child about  driving down a road, going up a hill and the road disappears, it's like that in that area for real).

Then he goes into playing golf, a game I have always thought of as extremely stupid and boring, hate it (am not good at it) but he makes it interesting, I did not think that was possible. I think I now understand why people play golf, so it's useful to me for that alone.

Charlie where do you hear about these books? I looked two of them up, they both look good, I see the NY Times referenced, I do take the Times on Sunday but somehow missed them. If you had to recommend ONE book of good fiction  this year which would it be? I have not read a stunning book of fiction in  a LONG time. I started White Tiger but something about it disturbed me and I put it aside. He's written a new one too, by the way,  for White Tiger fans.

Yesterday I bought Oracle Bones by Peter Hessler, a National Book Award finalist, about travel in China, I guess I'm obsessed this year with non fiction armchair travel right now.

So good to see you again!

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #202 on: June 20, 2009, 10:35:05 AM »
Hi, Gumtree and thanks for that personal information about Flanagan and Winton. And for making me think about this. By the way, I watched the DVD of Australia last night. I don’t recommend it. Actually, Death of a River Guide was Flanagan’s first and I’ve always meant to go back and read that one. The first that I read (and only, up until now) was the amazing Gould’s Book of Fish one of the most beautiful and lovingly published novels I’ve ever seen. That’s a book you want to hold in your hands.

Breath was my #2 book of last year. Breath-taking! I’ve also wanted to go back and read his earlier work, but again….so many books, so little time. So let’s see. What else?

There’s Peter Carey, of course. I’ve read three of his most recent books (True History of the Kelly Gang, My Life as a Fake and His Illegal Self. Oscar and Lucinda has been on my tbr list forever.

I had forgotten about Kate Grenville’s The Secret River, another book about the clash of settlers and indigenous peoples.

But my earliest exposure to literature from that part of the world was Nevil Shute and Shirley Hazzard. I actually read Chute’s On The Beach when I was a kid and Hazzard’s Transit Of Venus  some 20 years ago I guess.

When I was in college, one of the books we read for a modern lit course was Christina Stead’s The Man Who Loved Chidren. More recently I’ve read Michael Faber (Scotland by way of The Netherlands, but he grew up in Australia: Under The Skin. I have a copy of The Crimson Petal and the White, which I’ve yet to read.

Getting even farther afield, Matthew Kneale’s English Passengers was shortlisted for Australia's Miles Franklin Award in 2000, which was the first non-Australian author to be so shortlisted. The subject, again, revolves in large part around Tasmania.

Here’s an interesting one: Gregory David Roberts’ Shantaram is a great, sprawling (my copy is a small print 930+ page paperback) Bombay novel – but he was born in Melbourne. He was sentenced to 19 years for armed robberies and later escaped to India. The novel – as well as his personal journey from there is absolutely fascinating.

Then there is my all-time favorite writer. There is no question about this. We think of him as a South African writer sure, but he now lives in Australia. I’ve read most everything from his ‘pen’ and was very excited to learn that there is a new one expected in September or October. I’m jumping on that one. Big time: J. M. Coetzee’s Summertime.

And I see that Geraldine Brooks' People of the Book is up in July. I liked Year of Wonders as I recall. Gosh, how can I fit this one in? I’m going to try. Depends on how long my “Crews” lasts!!

Babi: Shadow Country, is a “re-rendering” of three Peter Matthiessen novels about his life-long obsession with a real life-bigger than life Florida historical figure: EJ Watson.  The Florida Everglades and the swamps  of Florida below Tampa Bay remind me much of descriptions of the wilds of Tasmania and Australia. Plus Matthiessen is a nature writer on a par with Tim  Winton. So I’m seeing connections here. It’s a long one, but well worth the reading experience. Winner of the NBA for 2008, I read this over DEC-JAN and it’s still the best book I’ve read this year.
Chazz

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #203 on: June 20, 2009, 11:06:33 AM »
SEBASTIAN BARRY
I APOLOGIZE FOR THIS.....THE EDTING/FORMATTING DOES NOT WORK FOR ME
Some of my favorite excerpts from Sebastian Barry. Resist them if you can!

Start thinking in a different light…Some of his new thoughts offended even him. It had nothing to do with kings and countries, rebels or soldiers. Generals or their dark ambitions, their plus and their minus. It was that Death himself had made those things ridiculous. Death was the King of England, Scotland and Ireland. The King of France. Of India, Germany, Italy, Russia. Emperor of all the Empires. He had taken Willie’s companions, lifted away entire nations, looked down on their struggles with contempt and glee. The whole world had come out to decide some muddled question, and Death in delight rubbed his bloody hands. -  from A LONG LONG WAY

Today, Death is still around and rubbing those bloody hands, yeah?

And these from THE WHEREABOUTS OF ENEAS McNULTY

How quick they come, how quick they go. Friendship. Oh, well. God sails his boats on the pond of the world and at fall of darkness goes off through the rubbed-out roses with the boats under his arms like a fabulous boy. The clock is the terrible high clouds fleeting to some unknown meeting. In the city encircling the park of the world lives are lived quickly, the admired baby soon the dreaming old bastard in the narrow suntrap under the lee of the church. Quickly quickly everything goes.

God as fabulous boy. That’s just about as perfect as any description I’ve ever heard. Here, Eneas talks to his mother:

‘Mam,’ he says, as the whiskey thaws his heart, ‘do you know, if it’s a sad life, it’s a bloody mysterious one too.’

‘It is’, she says……

‘Mam, I don’t understand the world, nor think I ever will, our going into it or our getting out of it. I am forty-four and none the wiser. Why is that?’

‘It seems to be the way for both of us, A bit of happiness here and there. Throw out your leg now and then and be dancing. Otherwise, a crooked way…’

And in The Secret Scripture, Roseanne McNulty is nearing 100 years of age. Lives in an Irish “mental” hospital, as she has for much of her adult life.  ”No one even knows I have a story”, she muses early on. But what a story she has. And it’s told with such a breathtaking lyricism and cadence by Sebastian Barry, that you’d swear you’d lost yourself in a reverie of poetry. And Barry’s poetic bent is apparent right from the beginning when he has Roseanne tell the story of the time her father brought her to a tower with a bag of hammers and a bag of feathers in order to demonstrate Galileo’s assumption that all objects would fall at the same rate, no matter their weight, assuming a vacuum, of course. What they lacked was that vacuum. No matter. With her father at the top of a tower and Roseanne at the bottom, her father loosed the feathers and dropped the hammers.

Although there was not a breath of wind, the feathers immediately drifted away, dispersing like a little explosion, even rising greyly against the grey clouds, almost impossible to see. The feathers drifted, drifted away.
My father was calling, calling, in enormous excitement in the tower, ‘What do you see, what do you see?’
What did I see, what did I know? It is sometimes I think the strain of ridiculousness in a person, a ridiculousness, born maybe of desperation…that pierces  you through with love for that person. It is all love, that not knowing, that not seeing. I am standing there, eternally, straining to see, a crick in the back of my neck, peering and straining, if for no other reason than for love of him. The feathers are drifting away, drifting, swirling away. My father is calling and calling. My heart is beating back to him. The hammers are falling still.

Here Roseanne recalls an incident from her childhood, which went into the local lore in a version that diverged from the truth.

For history as far as I can see is not the arrangement of what happens, in sequence and in truth, but a fabulous arrangement of surmises and guesses held up as a banner against the assault of withering truth.
History needs to be mightily inventive about human life because bare life is an accusation against man’s dominion of the earth. 

And more from Roseanne on memory and time:

Memory, I suppose, if it is neglected becomes like a box room, or a lumber room in an old house, the contents jumbled about, maybe not only from neglect but also from too much haphazard searching in them, and things to boot thrown in that don’t belong there…
I am old enough to know that time passing is just a trick, a convenience. Everything is always there, still unfolding, still happening. The past, the present, and the future, in the noggin eternally, like brushes, combs and ribbons in a handbag.

Isn’t that just a wonderful passage? But Barry can strike sudden chords of humor as well in his same poetic style. Here, Roseanne speaks of John Kane, a maintenance worker at the ‘asylum’ where she lives:

At the same time he has been the same stranger to the washbasin and his flies were open as is mostly the case. Some day a small animal will notice his open flies and go in and live there, like a hedgehog in the inviting damp hollows of an ash tree

What I love about this group of books (besides the storytelling power and the sublime lyricism) is that there are characters that cross over from one book to the next. They all stand alone though, and can be read independently, and in any order. Given Roseanne’s stage in life in The Secret Scripture I’d really urge everyone – especially here – to read this one at the very least.
Chazz

Frybabe

« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2009, 11:08:45 AM »
Funny you should mention Peter Matthiessen, ChazzW. I read his The Snow Leopard(nonfiction) years ago along with all the articles he wrote for National/International Wildlife magazine. I was aware that he was writing novels, but never persued reading any of them. I prefer thinking of him as a wildlife writer. Bummer! I went to dig out my copy of The Snow Leopard but can't find it. I can't believe I would have given that away.

There is another book I can't find. It was by George (I think) something or other who also used to write articles for National/International Wildlife about the same time as Matthiessen and it was about the research he (George?) was doing on wild sheep/goats in Pakistan. I can't believe that is missing either.

Every once in a while I go looking for a book I knew I had and can't find it. Too many moves, I guess. There are actually a few boxes I haven't unpacked which have gone through two moves. Quite a few of my books have survived at least five moves.

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #205 on: June 20, 2009, 11:12:23 AM »
The Secret Scripture [Barry], Ginny. You MUST read that one. You just may be spurred to read more of him after that. And when I did, I was pleasantly surprised to see some familiar faces from one book to the next.
Chazz

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #206 on: June 20, 2009, 11:22:30 AM »
Frybabe, like you I read The Snow Leopard many years ago. And I had not read him since, until Shadow. He is a wildlife writer/novelist, I'd say. There are many, many memorable passageson the ecology - and the changong ecology - of the Everglades, in the trilogy turned novel.

By the turn of the century the last east coast birds was gone and the west coast birds was going and the white plumes was bringing twice their weight in gold. Men would fight over egrets and shoot to kill…Them Audibones was agitating harder ‘n ever, and in 1901, plume hunting was forbidden: our native state of Florida had passed a law against our good old native way of living.

House contemplated the battered landscape as if to fathom the mystery of its great ugliness.  “They’re clearin these ‘retirement estates’ way out in the swamp-and-overflowed, sellin most of ‘em by mail order. Florida boom! Dredge out ditches, call ‘em bayous and canals, build up some high ground with the fill, call that prime waterfront property. All you need is some old swamp and you’re in business.”

He waved at the wasteland. “I kinda looked forward to them musky smells and swamp cries in the night. Owls, y’know, bull gators roarin in the springtime. I reckon you heard that sound up Chatham River.” House turned back into his doorway.  “We won’t be hearin no bull gators, let alone panthers, cause them developers ain’t never goin to stop dredgin and drainin, strippin off cypress to make room for all them Yankees. God-a-mighty! Smashed this forest flat, never put aside no money to clean up. And now the boom is dyin down and hard times startin up so they can’t find no more fools to buy more swamp; they run out of money and before I could back out of the whole deal, I run out, too.” He rapped the thin wall of his new house. “You ever need a retirement estate, I know where you could buy one pretty cheap.”
Chazz

Frybabe

« Reply #207 on: June 20, 2009, 12:44:31 PM »
ChazzW, at least I still have Matthiessen's Sand Rivers. And, I remembered the George I mentioned is George Schaller. Tui de Roy is another photographer/writer I never missed reading when a ran across her articles. Those were my big three.

Was In the Spirit of Crazy Horse Mattiessen's first novel? Seems to me when that came out is when I discovered he was writing novels. I don't know what Schaller and de Roy are doing these days, except that de Roy seems to have moved on from her Galapagos roots.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #208 on: June 20, 2009, 06:29:56 PM »
"Memory, I suppose, if it is neglected becomes like a box room, or a lumber room in an old house, the contents jumbled about, maybe not only from neglect but also from too much haphazard searching in them, and things to boot thrown in that don’t belong there…"

Oh so true.  The trick is to get rid of the memories that don't belong in the jumble!

Is this the year of the Aussie writer, or what!  A quick reminder - we are going to begin a discussion of The People of the Book on July 15.  (Next week we'll begin a pre-discussion in preparation for a fast moving discussion.)

Chairs are filling fast - the word is out that this book by Pulitzer-Prize winning author, Geraldine Brooks  is something special.  Sometimes the Aussies talk funny - but we have our antipode on board - who promises to translate for us when needed - right Gum?

Chazz, it's good to have you back in our midst - I'm sure everyone agrees.  You've been missed!

Gumtree

« Reply #209 on: June 21, 2009, 12:08:06 AM »
I'll be there JoanP - though I thought it was the 'Yanks' who talk 'funny' - Aussies speak English.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Babi

« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2009, 09:14:25 AM »
  Really, CHAZZ? How disappointing; the previews on Australia looked so good. Well, it's on our queue and should at least fill in one of these summer evenings
when nothing else is available.
  Nevil Shute has long been a favorite of mine. I'm going to have to check into
some of the others you mentioned, like Winton and Coetzee.
  Thanks for answering my question about "Shadow Country".

It was that Death himself had made those things ridiculous.

I am reminded of a line from "The Book Thief", in which Death is speaking.
 "It kills me, sometimes, how people die."
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: June 21, 2009, 09:46:48 AM »
Well this is fun! I've ordered Shadow Country and also the The Secret Scripture, and am looking forward to their arrival, thank you for those recommendations, Charlie. AND for the quotes, that was the clincher. I love to see quotes.

I've got  Shantaram here somewhere, have had it since it came out, but like Best Boy and A Fine Balance, it seems to depend on the mood of the reader at the time. And that's OK too. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. I'll pick them up again too.

What's everybody's  recipe for summer reading? 

Summer time is the perfect time to lose yourself in a LONG book or escape in a flashy book or both. It's like dining, you can start with something good, and then you might want something serious with your fluff.  I like for summer reading a  mix: first I want a total escape, that's why I'm going  on Monday to Preston and Chlids, their new one, I just love them. Or the new Ruiz, he's hard to put down.

But for a main course maybe we want the salmon, something with a little more seriousness: those that Charlie has mentioned? Dickens? Why not try them all? 

What's in YOUR wallet, or should we say your beach bag this summer?

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #212 on: June 21, 2009, 10:09:28 AM »
Babi- coincidentally I had recently watched
Japanese Story.
The movie is a couple of yeas old, and I didn't even know it was Australian. At
any rate Toni Colette was great, and though the movie wasn't it was entertaining
and worthwhile, with beautiful vistas of the desert (or dessert, as the joke goes
in the movie).

Chazz

Steph

« Reply #213 on: June 21, 2009, 10:12:16 AM »
Being in the coach, means I must make decisions before we leave. Soo I am taking mostly mysteries and one Jody Picoult.. But we are in Chautauqua,NY and there is a really great looking book store across fromthe campground. Now everyone keep your fingers crossed that she opens on Sunday for me..
Lovely lake here.. No tv yet, this new and improved digital has messed up a lot of rv's. WE have a control box to work all electronics and it simply does not want to hook up to ours. We have already tried once and the guys messed up. Now we have found a dealer for our rv and they will try tomorrow. If not.. then we will go without tv until we get home.. Truly hard on MDH. He does love his tv.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #214 on: June 21, 2009, 10:26:44 AM »
As I mentioned before, I'm going on a cruise with Crews. Harry that is. I saw
his name on THIS LIST and
thought I had heard of him before, so I checked him out. His bio convinced me.
Born and bred in Southern Georgia, and a teacher at The UF (Gainesville), he was
there around the time I was in the English department, so I became even more
intrigued. I've got two of his books from the library now, and started Florida Frenzy
last night because it's a collection of (mostly) essays, and a few short stories.
Figured that's be a good place to start.

Chazz

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #215 on: June 21, 2009, 10:33:11 AM »
Hi, Steph-
Chautauqua,NY...Do you live around there or just camp? I work for Welch's (the Grape Juice Co., but in Massachusetts) and the grape must may just be wafting your way now. You are right n the heart of Concord Grape vineyards - and I know that Ginny knows a few things about vineyards herself. Enjoy! Even WITHOUT the tee-vee!
Chazz

Gumtree

« Reply #216 on: June 21, 2009, 12:14:07 PM »
ChazzW Hello again - I feel I should know you from the 'old' site but don't recognise your calling card. Now you have unleashed such a plethora of Australian titles that as the resident Aussie I just have to respond to some.

Your comment on the film Australia- took me a moment to realise what you were talking about. We saw it perhaps a year or so ago. It was a big flop at the box office which is something of a pity because Baz Luhrmann has done a lot of good work - Moulin Rouge for one. Nonetheless there were some elements within the film which were very true to life - well, life as it was at that time.

Flanagan's Gould's Book of Fish was such an unexpected treasure - as you say - amazing!

Peter Carey has developed into an interesting writer. I didn't care for much of his early work but as I read each one and then the next the quality of his body of work builds up and taken collectively begins to have real things to say about Australia. Have you read his Illywacker? At risk of basking in reflected glory I just have to mention that I happen to be friends with Carey's ex-mother-in-law (the grandmother of his children) and consequently know things I wouldn't otherwise be privy to.-

Kate Grenville - like her work very much - she has a new one out Loss of Innocence  I think it's called though I haven't seen it yet. Her descriptions of the countryside around the Hawksbury River in Secret River is perfect. The country is still very like she tells it and Wiseman's Ferry is still virtually inaccessible - and it's only a comparatively short distance from the Sydney CBD.

Christina Stead is regarded as an Aussie classic writer - it is many years since I read her work.

I haven't read Shantaram - despite Ginny's urging - as we all say -too many titles and not enough hours.

And you're right, we have adopted J.M. Coetzee. He came to Australia after being virtually forced to leave South Africa for his outspoken attitude. He is now a naturalised Aussie, has settled in South Aust and found a niche for himself at Adelaide Uni - well, who wouldn't want a Nobel Laureat around their campus. His Diary of a Bad Year takes a new look at the form of the novel, It's interesting but not his best and appears to have sunk almost without trace here. In my view Esther Costello, Disgraceand maybe Michael K are his best works to date. A film of Disgrace will be released here during this coming week - stars John Malkovich who should fit the role perfectly.

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #217 on: June 21, 2009, 01:01:54 PM »
Gumtree:
I liked Moulin Rouge quite a bit, which probably added to my disappointment.
I have not read Illywacker which I suspect is an Aussie term. What does it
refer to?

I lovedElizabeth Costello and all the other Coetzee novels she was "in".
Foe, though, remains  my favorite. What a kick it would be to read the
the DeFoe classic along with Foe.

I had the [deleted] pleasure of seeing Disgrace at last years Toronto Film Festival.
Malkovich is excellent in it.
Chazz

Steph

« Reply #218 on: June 21, 2009, 06:23:11 PM »
Alf.. if you are here and not off line for a month. Right across the street from Camp Chautauqua RV is a wonderful huge used book store. Fell into it, even found  a Carol Goodman.. Hooray.. Not to be missed. A reallyreally huge bookstore.

CallieOK

« Reply #219 on: June 21, 2009, 08:37:55 PM »
I read "Home To Harmony" while riding back from Amarillo today (not that long a trip - but not that hard a book to read).  Loved it.   I was in the back seat and caught son, who was driving, giving me a puzzled look in the rear view mirror now and then.  I was chuckling out loud at some of the small town situations and the way they were described.

Next up is "The Help" and David Baldacci's "First Family".   I finally made it to the top of the library reserve list for both - at the same time, of course!

Chazz, I don't think we've met.  Hello from Oklahoma.   I read "Shadow Country" a few months ago.  It took a while for me to get into the story (because of the writing style, I think) but once I got all the characters sorted out, I liked the book. 
I've never been to Florida but it wasn't hard to imagine the setting.

I also liked the movie "Australia" - except I thought it ended about three times before it actually did.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #220 on: June 21, 2009, 08:50:50 PM »
Right across the street from Camp Chautauqua RV is a wonderful huge used book store.

We all have our feelers out for different things, and mine vibrate to libraries, bookstores, and used bookstores.  I can be in a town for an hour and know where the bookstores are.  Amazon and Kindle, etc are great, but NOTHING beats going into some grubby little store, inhaling the wonderful smell, puttering around, and finding something you would never have thought of looking for.

I used to be an expert at getting temporary library cards at places where I was staying for a week or so, but I don't know how easy it is these days.

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #221 on: June 21, 2009, 08:51:48 PM »
Hi, Callie-
Yes, first there was the "Western" movie and then there was the "War" movie!
Chazz

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #222 on: June 21, 2009, 11:35:45 PM »
Pat H.,  I aways gravitate toward book stores too.  In fact when my family traveled, when my children were growing up , the big joke was always the warning to my husband to hurry by that book store before "mother sees it".

Now that I have vision problems I still browse in every book store that I can find.  As I find books that interest me I note them down and go home to look on Amazon to see if they are available on Kindle.  If they aren't I request them.   No the kindle is not nearly as satisfying as owning the real book.  It does have the advantage of not acquiring more books when my house is already overflowing with them.  It makes it possible for me to be able to continue to read when I would have to cut my reading to a bare minimum if I did not have a Kindle.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Gumtree

« Reply #223 on: June 22, 2009, 04:24:05 AM »
PatH I'm with you on finding book stores wherever we go - luckily my beloved one is the same so there is not conflict there. Is'nt it amazing how those rare finds crop up when and where you least expect it. Some of our country townships feature excellent bookshops which have become meccas for booklovers - sometimes there is little else of real interest in the area.

It's still easy in my part of the world to get temporary library cards whilst on holiday - one place will issue them for six months and they can be used at other locations within that region. Handy service to have.

JoanGrimes How great it is that the Kindle has come to your rescue and you are able to keep reading - I think we should all keep up with the gadgets as they come on the market as we never know when they'll come in handy or become a necessity to our enjoyment  and quality of life.

Gumtree

« Reply #224 on: June 22, 2009, 04:54:21 AM »
ChazzW The term illywhacker/illywacker is a piece of Aussie slang - it simply means a trickster, conman or shyster and sometimes simply a liar or one who tells tall tales. - It was popular in the 1920s/30s and 40s and used around travelling shows where there was money to be made by anyone with illywhacker tendencies.  I don't think it was ever more widely used and it was almost obsolete when Peter Carey resurrected it as the title for his rambling novel. It's years since I heard the term used in everyday conversation.

Do you live in Toronto or were you just visiting for the films?

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #225 on: June 22, 2009, 05:40:18 AM »
JoanG-
I have nearly no vision in my left eye and love my kindle - although I can still
read the printed page with my one (fairly) good eye. With the font feature, you
can make you're own large print editions!! There are other advantages too. It's
nice to load up books for a trip. A recent addition is the function where you can
underline passages electronically and then access them on-line. Saves typing if
you want to share. A great tool for discussion leaders...

Gumtree-
I'm in the Boston area, but I love film festivals. I've been to    Toronto several
times and I used to go to Montreal almost every year.

Re illywhacker...isn't that interesting. I recently read an excellent novel by
Christian Moerk titled Darling Jim. I won't recommend it here because it
would probably be too disturbing for some. But anyway, the 'Jim' is a grifter, a
con-man, and a gifted storyteller in an Irish tradition called seanchaí. Sounds
much the same as your illywhacker.
Chazz

Babi

« Reply #226 on: June 22, 2009, 08:16:40 AM »
I've just finished "The Book Thief", which someone here at SL reommended.
It was a bit slow getting into at first, but developed into a most engrossing book.  A very original book in many ways, with memorable characters. I will
remember Hans Huberman, Liesel Meminger, Rudy Steiner, and, of course,
Death.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2009, 08:40:55 AM »
A recent addition is the function where you can
underline passages electronically and then access them on-line. Saves typing if you want to share. A great tool for discussion leaders...

Now THAT would be super, I'm glad to know about that, thank you Charlie!

The Talented Mr. Ripley was on last night again, I saw in passing the TV, and while I couldn't watch it through, watched just long enough to see Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance  (Matt Damon looked  particularly demonic last night) I need to reread the book again, looks like I missed something the first time. I love that series and Patricia Highsmith, I hated to see it end, it's not every day you find yourself rooting for a psychopath, but somehow she brings it off.

Gumtree

« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2009, 11:07:47 AM »
Babi I found The Book Thief to be one that improves with a rereading.  - Another good book by an emerging Aussie author.

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2009, 05:28:38 PM »
Chazz

Steph

« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2009, 08:06:35 PM »
I love a bookstore and especially used ones. The Chautauqua one is truly a wonderful one. There is another in MOntgomery, Al. that is an old department store. Great, but smelly.
If I cannot access wifi, I immediately go to the nearest library. Have met some really nice librarians that way.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #231 on: June 22, 2009, 08:28:36 PM »
Steph,  tell me more about that book store in Montgomery, AL.  I have never heard of it and I am an Alabama native and do go to Montgomery sometimes...It is just about a 100 miles from where I live. It might be worth a trip down there to visit that book store.  I could go down to a play at the Shakespeare Festival Theatre and go to that book store too.  That would be lots of fun.

ChazzW,  it is wonderful that you have the kindle. I am so glad that you do have it. It has really made a difference in my being able to continue to read .  I have a be a reader all of my life and really missed it when it became so uncomfortable for me to read.

Joan G
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: June 23, 2009, 07:12:13 AM »
Love the discussion on bookstores. Maybe we should get up a sort of travel log and log in here all the bookstores we go to with a short one liner about what we liked or did not, that might be fun this summer with so many traveling. I know Pedln and Joan R are visiting the Strand in NYC this week and look at Stephanie!

I'm reading Ripley again. There are 5 books. I had passed by the Matt Damon movie on TV the other night,  and thought,  I don't remember that scene in the book so am reading the books over. I can't get over how well it's written, and how easily she puts you right into the mind of Ripley, it's fabulous. Much better than the movie and I liked the movie.

I read half of it yesterday without getting up, it's wonderful. Perhaps not for everybody, but fantastically well written. Am going to read the whole series again, I've got all 5.

A perfect lazy day in the summer: reading.

Frybabe

« Reply #233 on: June 23, 2009, 02:50:34 PM »
Sounds like a good idea, Ginny. My used bookstore, just down the street, give out a pamphlet a listing of PA used/rare bookstores with a map, addresses and what they specialize in (if they do). Comes in handy.

ALF43

« Reply #234 on: June 23, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »
Well I've been here for 5 days and have managed Borders, Barnes & Noble and a small book store downtown.  I wound up with a book by Per Paterson called Out Stealing Horses.  It's a ritual when I visit here to also buy the most recent Evanavich novel to act up with Stephanie Plum  ;D
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #235 on: June 23, 2009, 05:47:07 PM »
Ummmm....I'll be at The Strand and The Blue Water Grill in a few weeks myself...
Chazz

Steph

« Reply #236 on: June 23, 2009, 06:02:39 PM »
Montgomery...hmm. I know it was close to downtown, since we passed it on the way back to the rv.. It is all by itself and is quite a large collection .. Several stores all in one now..
I keep notes on some of the book stores. others I simply google .. I also go to the Yellow pages in towns and ask about Books,used and rare. That works well since they also have  a section for directions..
Seattle was quite wonderful for book stores. They had never,used, specialty ( the mystery is incredible) and some nice rare stuff. We probably visited 6-7 book stores just in downtown. Also the most magnificent Indian artifact store I have ever seen. Whew.. Mostly Alaskan  native stuff and so truly remarkable. They have some tall banner like wooden objects that I really coveted.. Good thing we were flying home.. Way expensive, but oh me,, choice stuff. Wish I could remember the name, but it is on the street that ends up at Pikes Market.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: June 24, 2009, 12:31:04 AM »
Wow, Charlie. Thanks for the link to the notice about Tim Winton's fourth Miles Franklin award. I haven't read any of his novels yet. I'm going to take the plunge with his short story collection, "The Turning," which I've just requested from my local library.

The "bookstores" I've visited the past few days are some great thrift stores in the Central Valley of California. A couple of St. Vincent de Paul  stores have had a very big selection with paperbacks for 50 cents and hardbacks for $1. :-)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #239 on: June 24, 2009, 01:06:52 AM »
Hi Charles - so glad you are among us again - are these your book lists?

http://www.librarything.com/profile/ChazzW/stats/places

http://www.notingbooks.com/users/ChazzW/readings

If so I noticed you read Haruki Murakami - hadn't read Norwegian Wood but was hooked when I read Kafka on the Shore and then followed it up with The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle:A Novel.

What in the world was Doctor Olaf van Schuler's Brain??!!??
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe