Author Topic: The Library  (Read 149256 times)

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
Re: The Library ~ NEW
« Reply #240 on: June 24, 2009, 06:11:50 AM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is  always out.
Do come in from the wind and rain and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

Suggestion Box for Future Discussions

Marcie- Let me know how you like that one! And btw, I forgot to mention (or
did I) that the great J.M. Coetzee has a new book out in September - Summertime.

Barb- Yes, those lists are mine, though I think I've lapsed keeping them up.
And Doctor Olaf van Schuler's Brain was an impulse read given the 'concept',
but it didn't work for me. Loved Kafka on the Shore, ,- have not read WUBC.

Alf, I forgot to mention that To Siberia (Per Petterson) was in my
Fave Five last year, and I have his Out Stealing Horses at the top of my
tbr list, but I keep picking up other stuff, so can't get around to it. He's such
a lyrical writer. I always tell people that reading him was like having someone read
to you! A hauntingly beautiful novel of isolation:
I slept, and I dreamed I was in Siberia. There were the great plains with unbroken lines, and a sky and a light as from the dawn of the world, and timbered houses and flocks of birds like a thousand flamingos that changed into seagulls when they took off and flew and filled the world before they dissolved and were gone…
Chazz

Steph

« Reply #241 on: June 24, 2009, 03:03:10 PM »
I mostly use Amazon for new books, since they come through no matter what. Used ones are my love.. Our St. Vincent DePaul is sort of a bust on books. They have  a lot of religous stuff, pounds and pounds of Readers Digest Condensed books that I hate and then some raggedy typeschool books. Lotsof series romance.  However our Habitat bookstore does sometmes have good stuff. I also hit library book sales, always good.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

marjifay

« Reply #242 on: June 24, 2009, 05:43:38 PM »
I like Amazon and Half.com for used books.  Hardly ever buy new ones.

Thanks, Chazz, for recommending TO SIBERIA by Per Petterson.  Sounds very good.  I have OUT STEALING HORSES on my July list to read with  another group.  Looking forward to it.

Am going for a drive up the California coast with a friend starting Sunday (before gasoline gets any higher).  Going to Monterey, Moss Landing and other places, including a stop at the John Steinbeck museum in Salinas.  Missed it on my last trip and have heard it's worth a visit.  Loved his EAST OF EDEN which I read not long ago. 

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #243 on: June 24, 2009, 06:53:04 PM »
Barbara, it's going to take me days to explore your list properly, but it's got some favorites.

Abebooks is great for used books; once you order from them you get on a rather copious mailing list, which sometimes has some neat leads.

Powell's Books is magnificent.  I get to Portland, OR a lot and always end up with weight issues bringing books home.  They are huge (a whole city block), and for me very serendipitous.  They shelve new and used books together, so you know exactly what options you have for any book.  When you're done, you can walk around the corner and get a really good cup of coffee at Stumptown Coffee.  You're right about their airport bookstore.  A year or two back I found an extremely interesting book there (Her Majesty's Spymaster, by Stephen Budiansky) about Sir Francis Walsingham, who set up an espionage system for Queen Elizabeth I.  Not your usual airport stuff.  Powell's online ordering is good too.

Pasadena, CA has a good independent bookstore--Vroman's.  It's another serendipitous place where you find things you wouldn't think of looking for.  Fortunately, it's near my daughter, so I always get there during visits.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #244 on: June 24, 2009, 07:01:30 PM »
I live in the Washington, DC area, so there should be plenty of good bookstores, but a lot of the interesting ones have gone belly up.  One, Chapters, where we met Karen Joy Fowler, is in storage waiting to see whether they can rise from the ashes.  Politics and Prose is still going very strong, and not too far from me, so I try to buy all I can from them.  The used bookstores are retreating farther from the high rent district where I live, so it's getting harder to get to them, and I miss the pleasure of browsing and the joy of the hunt for something.

mrssherlock

« Reply #245 on: June 24, 2009, 07:23:46 PM »
What a disapointment Goodwill books is in Oregon.  They charge more than used book stores.  Here in Salem I like Paperback Exchange.  We also have an SF store, Escape Fiction. 

I dont understand why but I am fascinated by stories about Jewish Ameriicans.  Dara Horn's In the Image takes one on a journey which ranges from Austria's WWI army to California by way of New Jersey.  There are many elements to the story; the author has provided a genealogy table at the end of the book.  Horn has 2 other books at my library; needless to say I have ordered the next one already.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/dara-horn/in-image.htm
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #246 on: June 24, 2009, 07:38:26 PM »
Jackie, I have been in Salem for only 4 hours, and most of that time was spent on the campus of Willamette University, where daughter Cathy was being sworn into the Oregon Bar.  I still managed to spot a used bookstore on one of the central streets, but have no idea if it's any good, since we were too rushed for me to go in.

The photo I used for an avater on the old SeniorNet was taken on the beautiful campus there, and I am laughing because I am so happy.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/PatriciaFHighet/09.jpg

Babi

« Reply #247 on: June 25, 2009, 08:44:31 AM »
PatH, congratulations on your daughter Cathy's admission to the bar. She must
be a very smart young lady....like her Mama. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: June 25, 2009, 08:46:40 AM »
What a beautiful photo, Pat and you look just like that but younger. I don't know where you found the Fountain of Youth but I'd like some too. hahaha Will never forget you in that hospital in DC, where did you get that disk of medical info? That was brilliant. I thought Pat might have to take over the ER, she was smarter than they are.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #249 on: June 25, 2009, 09:02:53 AM »
What a georgeous  photo of you Pat H..  Why don't you use it here in SeniorLearn as your avatar.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #250 on: June 25, 2009, 01:19:52 PM »
Yes, Pat wonderful photo - isn't it nice to have a good photo of yourself that you can proudly display. I am green...

One of my favorites among the list of great book stores is the one is Oxford Miss. 'The Square' - it is not gigantic like some but the charm just oozes - a typical second story balcony that juts out over the sidewalk - it is two stories packed with so many authors, mostly southern, your eye cannot take it all in. The store is on a corner across from the park that is in the middle of a typical square that is in the center of most southern towns.

I never visited but all you west coast readers do y'all know of a small Swedish community in California that has a book store that specializes in books from, about, written by Swedes - some in English and just as many written is the Swedish language?  Years ago  I remember being told they have a great cook book section but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of either the book store or the town.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mrssherlock

« Reply #251 on: June 25, 2009, 01:24:31 PM »
Pat:  Oregon should sign you for their advertising, you look so scrumptious.  To see your daughter's induction into the bar, what a thrill.  I can only say that she is lucky to have you for her mother.  Paperback Express is not close to WU.  But the Book Bin is right down town.  That's a nice one too but lacks the depth of PbE.  We've lost a souple of independent book stores in recent years, sad to say.  Borders is here but for B&N its a Portland suburb or Eugene.  Portland, of course, has Powell's which is one city block of books, etc, right in the Pearl district, Portland's bohemian district.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

mabel1015j

« Reply #252 on: June 25, 2009, 01:47:57 PM »
Has anybody been having trouble getting on seniorsandfriends? I've had a quirky few days when sometimes i can get on and other days i can't...............jean

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #253 on: June 25, 2009, 02:17:46 PM »
I've had the same problem, Jean.  I just tried and couldn't get on, though I had been on earlier.  I think they are more crowded than we are here.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #254 on: June 25, 2009, 02:39:52 PM »
i cannot get on there either.  I was on there most of the morning but then could not get back on.

Joan Grimes

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #255 on: June 25, 2009, 02:40:09 PM »
It definitely seems to be off and on.  Just persevere.  ;)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #256 on: June 25, 2009, 04:31:18 PM »
Alas did not get into Powells when we were in Portland in May.. Poured that day and we just got so wet and discouraged. We went to the Japanese Garden and the RoseGarden, but the rain was stupendous.. We finally threw in the towell, checked into our motel and slipped off to one of our joys in retirement.. an afternoon movie.. Star Trek.. Loved it.

EvelynMC

« Reply #257 on: June 25, 2009, 10:18:11 PM »
Great phonto, Pat.  You have a very kind, happy look in your eyes.

Evelyn

Babi

« Reply #258 on: June 26, 2009, 08:32:42 AM »
 That towel must have been sopping wet by the time you threw it in, STEPH. I hope
the weather cleared up for you the next day.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2009, 02:58:03 PM »
Babi, I have been wetter, but not often. And it kept getting worse. The Japanese Garden is truly a wonder, but oh me,, raindrops did fall on my head .We did have a neat lunch in a Bento cafe.. Bento means in a box and the meal was...in a small box and quite lovely.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #260 on: June 26, 2009, 06:10:08 PM »
Yes, coming for here where we can almost count the days it rains and moving with three small boys to Portland was a shock so that my youngest and his family nearly went out of their minds. Back when the boys were 4 and 5 - [Twins 4 and Chris 5] they moved outside Portland - Beaverton - for 3 years and Sally was worn to a nub - 3 rambunctious boys indoors because of rain all the time - even the school had huge covered areas just so the children could play out of doors - They were never so glad to get back to Sun country when they were transfered back to Texas and the boys could let go and use their energy outdoors so they were tired at the end of each day.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #261 on: June 26, 2009, 08:17:47 PM »
Stephanie, Barbara, and Jackie, when it's not raining too hard, Portland's Japanese Garden is one of my absolute favorite places.  They do absolutely incredible things with different shades of green, and framing views, and using reflections to advantage, like this:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/PatriciaFHighet/IMG_0888.jpg

The duck is a bonus, but before he stood up, he was tucked up asleep on the rock, looking like a bronze statue, and since they have some, it took me a while to be sure what I was seeing.

There are also hidden views that you can only come on by devious ways. If you go behind the teahouse at the right of the entrance, you can follow a little path down to this:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/PatriciaFHighet/IMG_0891.jpg

That's the same pond, but I'm not even sure where you can see the lantern except here.  It's a great spot for sitting quietly.

Don't reproduce these, except for personal use.

mrssherlock

« Reply #262 on: June 26, 2009, 09:17:29 PM »
PatH:  Ooohh!  I'm struck dumb.
Jackie

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #263 on: June 26, 2009, 09:30:06 PM »
Incredibly gorgeous!  Thanks for sharing.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #264 on: June 26, 2009, 10:18:10 PM »
 Marvelous - incredable scenes that I am sure all the rain made possible!

Steph

« Reply #265 on: June 27, 2009, 07:17:18 AM »
Considering the size and color of most of the flowers in that whole area, rain must really be what flowers want the most. We have a smaller Japanese garden in Florida in Boynton Beach. Morikami. It was planned and executed by a famous japanese garden designer and is a delight, although much smaller. I love the use of pebbles and spare shades in the designs.. My idea of perfect is less ,not more.

Babi

« Reply #266 on: June 27, 2009, 09:13:34 AM »
BARB, it sounds like Sally had a first-hand experience of the old timey
malady,...cabin fever! It was the bane of many a pioneer woman who was
confined to a small cabin for months on end. No wonder they died young!

You take such beautiful photos, PatH. I think I see the duck, but I'm not
at all certain. I remember a beautiful tea garden in Banff, and also in California,
but I'm not sure whether that was Los Angeles or San Franciso. It's been so long ago.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #267 on: June 27, 2009, 10:41:28 AM »
The duck is in the very middle of the picture, on top of that little domed rock.  It's easy to take good pictures in that garden.  You just take a lot of them, and some of them come out good.  But thanks anyway.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #268 on: June 27, 2009, 11:39:34 AM »
Beautiful photos PatH.

Joan Grimes

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: June 28, 2009, 03:11:39 PM »
OH the Sebald books came, Charlie! They look JUST the perfect thing! You did not say they had photos in them or were ruminations,  and philosophy or that's what they look like. I can't wait to read them. I got The Emigrants and The Rings of Saturn, and in both, it appears, we're going to walk thru Sussex, particularly the Rings of Saturn, I'm going to start with it.  I tell you it's a real temptation to put down Ripley for it, thank you for recommending him, actually had never heard of him.

At the moment, however,  I am deeply entrenched  with Tom Ripley in the Dewatt scheme, book II of the 5 book series, about The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith: Ripley Under Ground.

I just got the new Ruiz in the mail, it looks glorious as well!

What are you all reading this hot summer? (It's hot here, is it where you are?)

We have  listed a new game in our Literary Games section, Name That Literary Element, from glencoe, the textbook publishers. To find it go to Discussions Index at the top of the page, (under whatever photo is there), and scroll down to the (now 3) literary games listed on our site. Let us know in the discussion  how you like it and how you did. :)

marjifay

« Reply #270 on: June 29, 2009, 02:12:49 PM »
Ginny, I'll have to look into Sebald's THE RINGS OF SATURN.  It sounds intriguing.

I'm about half way through George Eliot's MIDDLEMARCH.  Interesting story, especially women's lot in those days.  The book takes a while to read with 800 pages.

Also read Richard Yates' REVOLUTIONARY ROAD.  Very good writing.  But kind of sad, and reminded me of my own marriage back in the late 1950s, and the roles women were expected to play.  (Has anyone seen the HBO series, MAD MEN?  Wow! Talk about sad memories of women's roles back then.)

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

nlhome

« Reply #271 on: June 29, 2009, 03:29:07 PM »
Marj, I am so impressed - 800 pages and MiddleMarch too! Wow. That's a big undertaking.

I read The Lumby Lines, which was discussed somewhere on the Seniorlearn site, along with a book by Philip Gulley, another author I learned about somewhere on this site. The only Gulley book we had was The Christmas Scrapbook. It was perfect for an overly hot day - lots of chuckles in that one. The Lumby Lines was pleasant, certainly not demanding of my attention, again good for sitting on the deck in the evening when the weather was hot.

marjifay

« Reply #272 on: June 29, 2009, 07:06:01 PM »
Yes, nlhome, there is a certain sense of accomplishment in reading a classic like Middlemarch.  What helps me a lot is the Spark Notes summaries of each chapter which make clearer the sections I have a hard time understanding because the language has changed to much since the 1800s.

I'd never heard of Lumby Lines.  Maybe I'll give it a try.

Marj

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #273 on: June 29, 2009, 07:38:02 PM »
Ginny- Yep. That's what they are. I know you'll love 'em.

Marjifay- Never did read Revolutionary Road, just his Collected
Stories
. I did have the DVD of the movie this weekend, but it was defective,
and I had to send it back for a replacement. Mad Men is great, btw.

Over the last week or so I've finished by Harry Crews:Florida Frenzy (essays),
This Thing Don't Lead To Heaven, and Karate Is A Thing Of The Spirit.
I'll start A Feast Of Snakes next. So far Im partial to his non-fiction
essays.
Chazz

marjifay

« Reply #274 on: June 29, 2009, 07:41:19 PM »
Just curious.  Does anyone besides me appreciate that you can now go online to Dictionary.com and (with headphones), actually hear the pronounciation of a word?  Now there's a technical innovation I love!  The fellow in the following story, told by one of the co-owners of my favorite bookstore, Politics and Prose, could really have used that website:

"Twenty-four years ago I spent an evening with Tony Hillerman and his wife, when he was part of a mystery-author panel. Since then I've frequently retold a humorous anecdote he recounted that night about his interviewing a young candidate for a position in the English literature department at the University of New Mexico, where Tony Hillerman taught. The applicant, earnestly trying to make a good impression, spoke at length about how much he enjoyed the poetry of William Butler Yeetz (Yeats). By Hillerman's account, he patiently listened without interruption until the candidate had finished and then he said he had found his comments very interesting, but added, almost parenthetically, "Around here we call him "Yates." At that the young man replied, "And, oh, I love Kates (Keats) too."

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #275 on: June 29, 2009, 09:10:32 PM »
No, Marjifay, I didn't know it.Works without a headphone, too.  Nifty.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #276 on: June 30, 2009, 12:02:07 AM »
LOL. What a fun story about the interview with Tony Hillerman, Marjifay! Thanks for the information about the dictionary pronunciation.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #277 on: June 30, 2009, 12:39:41 AM »
On my local PBS station this Wednesday there is a program called, "Digital Renaissance: Imaging the Iliad."

There is a little information at:
http://technology180.wordpress.com/2008/12/02/premiere-digital-renaissance-imaging-the-iliad/

Babi

« Reply #278 on: June 30, 2009, 09:04:47 AM »
Marj, we had a lovely discussion of Middlemarch on the old SN site.  It was a big
undertaking, but the book and the discussion both were well worth it.

marjifay

« Reply #279 on: June 30, 2009, 10:47:58 AM »
Thanks, Babi.  I'll look for it.