Author Topic: Gentleman in Moscow~Amor Towles~Winter-Spring Book Club Online~  (Read 40078 times)

Jonathan

Re: A Gentleman in Moscow~Amor Towles~Winter-Spring Book Club Online~
« Reply #280 on: March 15, 2018, 06:33:21 PM »

JOIN US AS WE DISCUSS

A GENTLEMAN IN MOSCOW

BY AMOR TOWLES.

During February and March, we will be filling cold, gray days by reading A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles in the Senior Learn Book Club.  Our pre-discussion will begin on February 7.  Let's introduce ourselves, and then perhaps talk about what we know of the goings-on in Russia in the early 20th century and our impressions of the Russian people. Those of us who grew up in the 50s and 60s could share how we learned of the Russians and the feelings we had about all of this.  This will also be a place for questions about the discussion, the assigned reading schedule and about each other.  Let's save discussion of the text until February 12 when we begin the actual discussion.

Discussion Schedule for A Gentleman in Moscow

February 12     Book 1

February 21.    Book 2

February 28. Let's start on half of Book 3.  In my book that is around 248

March 7. 248 to the end of book 3

March 10 Book 4

March 14 Book 5

March 23 End Discussion

The author's website www.amortowles.com is a wonderful place to get to know the Amor Towles. He has a lot of supplementary information about the book.  There is even a delightful video, which you will want to watch.

Discussion Leader:  MKaren

Sentimental and romantic, isn't it? Every reader will turn to the last page with mixed emotions. Trying to imagine the lives of these people caught up in a revolution is mind-boggling and heart-breaking.

For some thirty years the Count has been dreaming of returning to Idlehour, the family estate, and the apple orchards of Nizhny Novgorod Province. Fallen into ruin.

Wasn't shooting Stalin an ungentlemanly act? For the Count it must have seemed like the patriotic thing to do. It would make him a hero. Kruschev was also shooting him down in the secret speech to a high level meeting.

'I think the last sentence led me to feel the willowy woman (Anna) and the Count will spend the rest of their days together. She has always returned to the Count, and been there for Sofia in the most crucial times.  I can see the three of them reuniting.'

Where, Bellamarie? On the sixth floor of the Metropol? The little room the Count has been sharing with Sofia for so many years? By raising the bed to allow for another mattress? I must reread the book also. I seem to remember a number of hints in the Count's thinking that it was time to make a break with Sofia and get her out on her own. But I don't think it was meant to make space for Anna. Just a reviewing of the freckles on her back occasionally.... One is never finished with this book.

bellamarie

« Reply #281 on: March 15, 2018, 09:20:47 PM »
Jonathan,  You made me giggle.  Indeed, where?  Certainly not back at the Meropol.  I don't really have a logical answer to your question.  My romantic, maternal heart wants to wrap it up with a happy ending, and so I shall.  The author gives us indication the Count and Anna end up together in that last sentence, but then considering your question of where, where indeed would even the Count stay, should he himself, by himself remain free?  He is a man of great resources and of great mind for certain......  Nope I have no desire to re read this book.  How I felt as I read it, and how I felt once I finished it, could never be duplicated.  Like the Count, I'll savor my memories.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Jonathan

« Reply #282 on: March 16, 2018, 11:10:52 AM »
Karen, we're all thinking of you today. We're all praying for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery and return to good health. Thanks again  for putting us on to this entertaining book. I find myself so fascinated by this author's writing style I've already acquired his first book, Rules of Civility. New York high society in the Thirties, judging by the cover. I don't imagine the Depression ever happened for those two elegant figures.
History, it turns out, is a very personal thing.

Jonathan

« Reply #283 on: March 16, 2018, 11:24:06 AM »
Bellamarie, aren't we all left with our memories. I won't bite into an apple without wondering about the consequences. Should I make a wish? Or get a loaf of bread without wondering about the mysteries of life. Thanks for bringing that to our attention. I've checked my father's Concordance, Did you know that bread is mentioned countless times in the Bible?

bellamarie

« Reply #284 on: March 16, 2018, 11:53:33 AM »
Karen, my thoughts and prayers are with you today, as you go through your surgery.  Thank you so very much for bringing such an excellent book to our discussion group.  It will remain with me for a very long time.  The Count was a true "gentleman" a rarity in today's world.  I am blessed to say my hubby, and our Jonathan, are among those rare finds. 

Pat, I hope you have safe travels today to Portland, and enjoy your time with your family.

Barb, I do pray your car gets fixed, and the Spring brings with it new and exciting things to you, as you begin your retirement.

Jonathan, our dear male member, who always gives such incredible insight to every book we discuss.  Thank you for sharing this one with us, and thank you for Casablanca......."here's looking at you kid."

Rosemary, I am so sorry you did not stick with us, we always look forward to your take on things, especially from the other side of the world.

All those who popped in to look or lurk, I hope you enjoyed our discussion. 

A Gentleman In Moscow was one of the finest books I have had the privilege to read.  His game of Zut with Sofia has given me a new way to pass the time between ordering and getting my food with my family and friends.  I especially like their last time playing it: "famous threesomes"  the Father, the Son,  and the Holy Ghost; Purgatory, Heaven and Hell; the three rings of Moscow; the three Magi;  the three Fates; the Three Musketeers; the gray ladies from Macbeth; the riddle of the Sphinx; the heads of Cerberus; the Pythagorean therorem; forks, spoons, and knives; reading, writing and arithmetic; faith, hope, and love; (with the greatest of these being love).  Past, present and future; Beginning, middle and end; Morning, noon and night; The sun, the moon the stars;  Andrey, Emile, and Alexander. 

To no surprise, we were posting at the same time Jonathan, and to no surprise you leave us with yet more insightful words to ponder.  Indeed, I did know the Bible is peppered with the word "bread" more times than I could count.  Out of curiosity I Googled it, and depending on which site you prefer, I chose this particular one it says:

There are at least seven words referencing bread in the Hebrew language version of the Old Testament and three Greek words referring to it in the New Testament. Mentioned at least 492 times in the original languages of the Bible, it is easy to see how important this food was to everyday life.
http://www.biblestudy.org/bible-study-by-topic/bread-in-the-bible.html

Ciao for now....
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #285 on: March 16, 2018, 03:29:50 PM »
Karen this is your big day - surgery is not easy however, we are all rooting for you and in a few days I bet you will be feeling fantastic - Karen you were before our time - I remember you mentioning this book months ago and now that we finally read it - wow what a winner - you were so right -

Seeing history from one man's experience and perspective - yes, Jonathan that is what we experienced didn't we - and a perspective none of us could imagine since we had not experienced such a privileged childhood.  I guess in our own way we are all limited by the earthly 'rooms' where we live - and for me I still see the analogy of forced confinement as we are when born placed in the confines of our body and mind.

Bellamarie we can always depend on you to keep us rooted in the story - you always find the best quotes - but more, this author's writing was almost ethereal and made it so easy to float above the story and then he played so many cat and mouse games with events that again it was too easy to mix personal imagination with only the skeleton of the story - so thanks for anchoring us - after Book Five I am still floating - I feel as if floating in a glass bulb of fluid unable to hear or see clearly what is outside my bubble. I'm almost afraid to pop my bubble since most books I read give me a new perspective on my own life where as this story leaves us open with no real answers as the Count with Anna at his side start off alone in a land very changed physically, socially, and politically from the memory of the Count including having left behind the friendships and experiences made during his confinement.  He is exactly where I am except he shares his new life with his loving companion and we readers only have our imagination as to how they proceed from here.

Pat thanks so for filling in the breach when Karen had to take care of herself - you move us along so well with just the right questions and bits of observation. Just saw a cute French movie called JetLag and thought of you flying between 4 time zones fairly regularly - I bet Portland, weather wise is just a bit more gentle than the deep winter you have been experiencing in the east - sounds like in the east there will be much cleanup this Spring and the 'green' of Spring will be more than welcome.   

Easter is only 2 weeks away - for sure if little girls still look forward to wearing their new Spring clothes this year in large swaths of the nation they will be wearing their winter coat over their new Spring dress.

I've been thinking of the cover illustration - we know the Count was in rooms with a tiny 'Postage Stamp' size window - the silhouette is not a young man in his early 30s so it could not be the Count looking out while he still held the large rooms on the lower level - I'm thinking it is really the mayor or maybe it was Osip, who while having supper with the Count goes to the window and looks out over Moscow - I need to find that bit in the story again -   
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #286 on: March 17, 2018, 04:49:28 PM »
Karen, I was thinking of you a lot yesterday, pulling for you.  Hope it all went well, and that recuperation goes well too.  It was an inspired choice, to pick this book.  It resonated with all of us.  Thank you.

All of you: you were so enthusiastic, and had so much to say, that the discussion practically ran itself.  So many good ideas and insights!  It's been a pleasure.

The discussion will stay open for a while, to give time for any afterthoughts.  I'm rereading, with a bit of skipping, and already see some things.

bellamarie

« Reply #287 on: March 17, 2018, 06:33:43 PM »
My book is due back at the library, so I will close in thanking everyone for a great book discussion.  Pat again, thank you for filling in for Karen.

Karen, please stop in when you feel up to it and let us know how you are doing.

Jonathan

« Reply #288 on: March 18, 2018, 12:01:48 PM »
We're all thinking of you, Karen, and, as Pat says, pulling for you. And thanks again for putting us on to this delightful book.

Of course that's Count Rostov on the cover. With Nina's key he must have returned there often. This may have  been the time he was caught and had to explain he was the serviceman checking out the draperies.

Never have I found it so helpful to have such perceptive minds as all of you possess in enjoying a book.

When you're at the library, Bellamarie, look for our next book.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #289 on: March 18, 2018, 04:59:25 PM »
Still thinking of you, Karen.

Another example of the book's symmetry: it both begins and ends on June 21st.

A wonderful example of Towles' subtlety: we learn towards the end of the book that the Count didn't write "where is it now?", he puthis name on Mishka's poem.  Now look at the interrogation at the start of the book.

Vyshinsky: And you write poetry?
Rostov: I have been known to fence with a quill.
V: [Holding up a pamphlet] Are you the author of this long poem of 1913: "Where Is It Now?
R: It has been attributed to me.
V: Why did you write the poem?
R: It demanded to be written.  I simply happened to be sitting at the particular desk on the particular morning when it chose to make its demands.

He is actually telling the exact truth, but not in a way that anyone could figure out.

bellamarie

« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2018, 12:11:39 AM »
Pat., yes he was a true "gentleman," who protected his best friend, without having to lie to the court, yet was willing to live the rest of his life under house arrest...... or did he really intend to live the rest of his life in the Metropol hotel?

After having a few days to think about it, I wonder, when did the Count actually begin the plan to escape?  Was it after he decided not to jump from the rooftop, was it once Nina gave him the keys, was it when Sofia got injured, or was it when he realized Sofia was such a fine pianist and would one day leave the Metropol, or was it when he knew he could not remain there alone with his memories once Sofia was gone?  He plotted for a long while to put it all into motion, to go as smoothly as it did, with only the Bishop giving him one little hitch to his entire plan. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2018, 02:21:40 AM »
Lots of folks talk about Binge-watching a series - I never did until today - over 8 hours of 8 episodes of a Russian series with English subtitles called Sophia - Well acted, beautifully photographed - as good as any series on PBS - about 15th Century Russia. Sophia Palaiologina, the last Byzantium Princess, born in Greece, niece of the last emperor of Byzantium, she is raised in Rome, then moves from Rome to Moscow to marry Czar Ivan III (Ivan the Great).

Sophia become the first influential female of the Russian Empire, overcoming all sorts of court intrigue and betrayals and she helps Ivan consolidate the fragmented country, push out the Mongolian Horde, and build the Kremlin. Sophia directly oversees the building of the Cathedral of the Annunciation using artisans and architects from Rome.

But what was amazing to hear mentioned in the series is Novgorod, this huge northern empire, politically free from Moscow till Ivan finally subdues and strips Novgorod of all political freedom, (great place for our independent thinker the Count to have grown up). Ivan secularized large tracts of its church lands, annexed its colonies so that by 1489 Novgorod is no longer a threat - The film also mentions Rostov, where peasants were fleeing to be cared for when clerics had them believe the end of the world was coming in 1492. The people so believed they did not plant crops or fish or see to the repair of their homes. They picked up and walked miles and miles to Rostov.

In 862, Rostov was an outstanding center of early medieval Russia. In 1207 Rostov became the capital of a princedom, which remained under Tatar rule in the 14th and 15th centuries. Rostov was important trade center between Moscow and the White Sea. Modern Rostov maintains a traditional handicraft of enamel on metal with a population just over 33,000.

Do you think the Count became an enamel painter or maybe he and Anna took a bus to the 'Winter Coast of Russia', the shoreline of the White Sea and studied the richest Vendian fossils in the world.

Looking up the history on the Britannica website, the series had all the events but with a more romanticized outlook and various events were attributed to other players in the drama - however, an interesting bit of history that I would never have looked into except for our reading this book.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #292 on: March 19, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
Barb, I binged on Downton Abbey a couple seasons before it ended.  I spent like an entire week-end, watching rented dvds from season one, til the ready to begin season.  I miss this program, it was wonderful to get lost into.  Just not a lot of good tv shows to watch anymore.

I can't imagine the Count sitting long enough to paint, he could barely keep still reading for any length of time, waiting for the twice-tolling clock to chime the lunch hour.  Fossil hunting sounds like a perfect way to wile away your elderly years on the shoreline of the White Sea.......

bellamarie

« Reply #293 on: March 19, 2018, 01:33:26 PM »
I’m thinking I will begin reading Rules Of Civility, Towels other book.  Jonathan have you begun reading it?  If so how is it so far?  The reviews looks like Katy is a fun character.

Jonathan

« Reply #294 on: March 19, 2018, 10:18:48 PM »
Thanks Pat, for taking us back to the Interrogation at the start of the book. I remember wondering about the ambiguities in the Count's replies. They go so well with the ironies and assorted literary tricks in the rest of the book. Such entertaining alliterations and verbal craftsmanship. The Rule of Three seems almost overdone at times. Lovely prose poetry in all the right places. What an entertaining read.

Thanks to your Binge-watching, Barb, we learn that Rostov is an ancient, distinguished name. I beieve Tolstoy borrowed the Count Rostov for his War and Peace. Why shouldn't our author borrow him for his book, as he borrows Harrison Salisbury's hat and coat for the getaway, from the cloakroom at the Metropol. The American journalist and author.

Don't you think, Bellamarie, that our book is just crying for a sequel? The book has no real ending. The Count is always walking out on Anna. Now she's an ageing actress,  playing 'the roles for women who had known the bitterness of joy and the sweetness of despair' (p338) No, I haven't started readingRules of Civility just yet. But just flipping through it I noticed Richard Vanderwhile is part of the story, as he is in our book. I anticipate a good read.

bellamarie

« Reply #295 on: March 20, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »
Jonathan,
The Count is always walking out on Anna.
That's funny, I thought it was the other way around.  Anna was always leaving to go do another film, he just never seemed to know when she would pop back into the Metropol.  But at least from my assessment, they are together to spend the rest of their years doing what ever.  A sequel, hmmm..... could Towles top this one?  I stopped in my library to return my book, and they said Rules of Civility will be available in a couple of days, they are having it sent over to my library for me.  I am excited to see how it will measure up to the "Gentleman."  Richard Vanderwhile is certainly getting around. 

Jonathan

« Reply #296 on: March 20, 2018, 09:25:01 PM »
'That's funny, I thought it was the other way around.  Anna was always leaving to go do another film.'

I think you're right, Bellamarie. But was it a serious relationship between these two? It's been going on for thirty years. If I have him walking out on her it's because the encounters were always in her place. There were so many. Nothing of consequence ever happened, or we would have been told about it. They must have stopped talking about 'handling' and 'breeding' long ago. Getting them together at the end is puzzling. Did Anna know about Sasha's plans to defect? Stalin was dead by then and the Count was too necessary to the Metropol to be sent to Siberia. Or worse. I will reread ths book sometime, for the fun of it. And to get it right.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...or rather, back in New York.... After a few pages, I'm hooked. I'm so happy you're going to have a look at Rules of Civility. Here the author must feel at home. I was surprised how well he pulled it off in Moscow. The atmosphere seemed authentic.

Now, if I can get my samovar working, I'll have myself a cup of tea. What a 'sorry' lot for the Count all those years. The finest wines and the finest food. And he a connoseur of both. That alone would have made house arrest at the Metropol a wish come true for most Russians.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #297 on: March 21, 2018, 02:19:28 PM »
Bellamarie:
I wonder, when did the Count actually begin the plan to escape?
My rereading has answered that.  A seed is planted in 1952, p 351,  the chapter titled "America", in a conversation the Count has with Anna; she talks about how everyone dreams of living in America.

In 1954, the chapter "Applause and Acclaim", p 382, the Count is making preparations: "For while the Count may have resolved to take action on the night of Katerina's visit six months before, it was only with news of the Conservatoriy's goodwill tour that the clock began to click."

On that night, in 1953, In the chapter "Apostles and Apostates", Sophia narrowly escaped being sent to Stalingrad to be in the Red October Youth Orchestra, and he learned of the death of Mishka, the last person who knew him as a young man.

That did it.  Nothing left of his past, and Sophia's life would always be subject to the whims of party politics.  Time to escape.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #298 on: March 21, 2018, 03:11:46 PM »
hmm started to read online the excerpt of The Rules for Civility available on Amazon - I realized it was not really about the 1930s but rather how various people reacted to what happened in the 1930s.

Then it hit me - this book is not really about Russia or the Soviet Union - the policies etc were simply the backdrop - it is really about how one man adapted to a changed society and how he handled new restrictions and new opportunities within this changed system. It is really about change and how we keep some of what we valued before the change and then add what brings meaning as the change occurs.

No matter where Anna and the Count live out their 'golden' years, he will never capture the lifestyle he experienced as a child and young man and Anna, will never be the toast of the town sought after for her youthful looks and acting ability. The home in the apple orchards of Novgorod is gone just as all it represented. The Count does not even have his desk or clock with him. It is as if he and Anna are remade wooden dolls with the sanding and repainting complete - he no longer has reminders of his life pre-revolution and like Russia, his escape is like all of Russia throwing off the mantel of Stalin - which is like anyone ageing who no longer is yoked to earlier systems and responsibilities.

Both books are stories of major systems changed in the twentieth century and how it affected someone caught up in the change - it appears that there are those who were on the high end of society before the crash of '29 that will experience major change to their lifestyle however, bring with them characteristics of who they were before the change, as the Count will always bring with him the manners, specific knowledge and experiences of a nineteenth century gentleman.

bellamarie

« Reply #299 on: March 22, 2018, 11:18:58 AM »
Barb, Yes, I agree the book was about change, and how you deal with it.  The back drop was the political happenings.  All things are subject to change, but the Count remains a "gentleman."  He starts over with nothing but his memories, once he leaves all his possessions behind. 

Pat,  WOW!  Great finds.....  I suspected from the minute he was sentenced to house arrest, his ingenious mind began plotting his escape.  Situations after the house arrest only solidified the inevitable.  When he contemplated jumping from the rooftop, that I felt was his lowest point in his being confined and needing to find a way out, even if it meant escape by death.  Losing Mishka and seeing Katerina be like a butterfly with no worry, gave him the last insight to live what ever of his life left in freedom.  He had to make sure Sofia was first taken care of.  Someone or somewhere I caught a glimpse of the Count tries or does escape, before we actually began reading the book.  I was disappointed seeing that spoiler, and all through the book it stayed in the back of my mind.  As the book went on and no mention or hint of it, I thought maybe it was a mistaken spoiler.  So glad it all happened at the very end, it really did make it so much for exciting.

Jonathan,  I have Rules of Civility and will begin reading it later today.  Hope you and I can touch base with each other as we read it.  Barb let us know if you begin reading it as well.  We can have our own mini discussion!  It's so much more fun when you read and can share thoughts with others.

Jonathan

« Reply #300 on: March 22, 2018, 10:02:24 PM »
A wonderful read. A wonderful discussion, everybody.

Bellamarie, I'm halfway through Rules of Civility. The more I read the more humor I find in Towles' books. Yes, Katey is a lot of fun, and very smart, and a very competent legal secretary. A great reader in whatever spare time she has. 'Keep your Proust and Tolstoy', she says, 'give me a good Agatha Christie'. I believe the author has started out on a modern Human Comedy. Perhaps a new Dickens or Balzac. I really feel I'm beginning to understand that Manhattan smart set. If I say anymore I may be spoiling it for someone. Happy reading.

The book does have a strange feature. An Appendix, of nine pages, described as 'The Young George Washington's Rules of Civility & Decent Behaviour in Company and Conversation.' A 110 Rules in all. Only in Manhattan would so many occasions arise in which a Washington rule would be useful to know?

bellamarie

« Reply #301 on: March 23, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »
Jonathan, I saw that APPENDIX  The Young George Washington's Rule of Civility & Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation.

Oh how our politicians and presidents need to take a good hard look at these rules.  They have lost all civility here in America:

Joe Biden (former Vice President) speaking at the University of Miami on sexual assault:  "They asked me would I like to debate this gentleman, and I said no. I said, 'If we were in high school, I'd take him behind the gym and beat the hell out of him,'" said Biden.  Biden said Tuesday, "I've been in a lot of locker rooms my whole life. I'm a pretty damn good athlete."
He added, "Any guy that talked that way was usually the fattest, ugliest S.O.B. in the room."

President Trump's response: "Crazy Joe Biden is trying to act like a tough guy. Actually, he is weak, both mentally and physically, and yet he threatens me, for the second time, with physical assault. He doesn’t know me, but he would go down fast and hard, crying all the way. Don’t threaten people Joe!"

Hillary Clinton former First Lady“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

bellamarie

« Reply #302 on: March 25, 2018, 08:23:16 AM »
Jonathan, is it just me or did the first 100 -150 pages of Rules of Civility drag on and seem uninteresting to you?  After the accident it seems like the book just didn't have life to it.  Hoping for more action in the last half of the book.

Jonathan

« Reply #303 on: March 25, 2018, 03:22:46 PM »
Bellamarie, In replying to your question, I would like to lift a few words from your Trollope quote: 'Was ever anything so civil?'

Since we're looking for civility in sophisiticated Manhattan we should expect to find the action very subtle. One becomes more aware of it as one reads along. Of course there's nothing subtle about finding a wheelchair at one's desk after phoning in sick the day before. With a red cross emblazoned on it.

I'm enjoying it immensely. Katey is so worldly wise and comes up with a few rules of civility herself. I like this one: 'As a quick aside, let me observe that in moments of high emotion - whether they're triggered by anger or envy, humiliation or resentment -if the next thing you're going to  say makes you feel better, then it's probably the wrong thing to say. This is one of the finer maxims that I've discovered in life. And you can have it, since it's been of no use to me.'

At this point in her life she has shared 260 pages of her life with the reader. I think I may have missed some of those 'moments of high emotion'. All I was picking up was the fast time Katie and her friends were having. A very sophisicated novel. Katie herself prefers an Agatha Chrisiie.

bellamarie

« Reply #304 on: March 25, 2018, 06:20:16 PM »
Jonathan, Aha!  I'm thinking it picks up,  I'm still waiting, only on page 160. 

Is it civil to live with a woman who you are responsible for crippling and scarring for life, knowing you love someone else?  Is it civil for a woman to know she is basically keeping a man in an emotional prison, while she seems to be only caring about the materialistic things he can bring to her life, considering she had this same type of thinking before the accident?  Is it civil for Katy to be in love with Tinker, yet be contented to live her life on the sidelines of his and Evie's lives, attending their parties and reading their postcards?   We shall see....

I may be looking for more depth in these characters. 

Jonathan

« Reply #305 on: March 26, 2018, 11:16:16 PM »
'...looking for more depth in these characters.'

Good luck, Bellamarie. They hide it so well in this city of glamour, talent and alcoholic haze. The questions you ask have been running through my mind also and I wonder what the author is trying to say. Katey is such a darling sophisticate with a sublime sense of civility. Read on. You get to spend 'an hour or two' with Katey and Tinker up on the roof, as they watch the iights of the city come on.

'As we sat there, dusk was falling and the lights of the city were coming on across the great patchwork of office buildings and along the cables of the bridges; then it was the street lamps and the theater marquees, the headlights of the cars and the beacons perched atop the radio towers - each individual lumen testifying to some unhesitant intemperate collective aspiration.' p300

And haven't we travelled a journey with these characters?

bellamarie

« Reply #306 on: March 27, 2018, 12:23:40 AM »
Jonathan
They hide it so well in this city of glamour, talent and alcoholic haze.

So true.  It's obvious Evie knew Tinker and Katey were smitten with each other, but she doesn't seem to mind destroying their happiness for her own.  My eyes are a bit strained so I had to put the book down to rest my eyes.  I hope to get back to it tomorrow.

Jonathan

« Reply #307 on: March 29, 2018, 12:23:05 PM »
Have you finished the book, Bellamarie? Are your eyes feeling better?  Perhaps you're feeling broken-hearted. Imagine reliving a year of your life, the way Katie has, after seeing Tinker's portraits at the gallery exhibit. But now, thirty years after the portraits were taken candidly and secretly on the subway, she's happily married to Val.

Reread the Preface. Moving, isn't it? Did you feel like a guest at the wedding? Isn't the rest of the book a splendid commentary on those few verses from the Gospel of Matthew? I counted at least another dozen biblical allusions in the rest of the text. Along with the Washington rules of civility, they certainly give the book a serious moral tone. 'For many are called, but few are chosen.' That's taking a fresh look at Gotham, also known as New York City. And Katie's father came from Russia. Along with other casual references and one can sense his second book gestating. But first came the wedding feast. Tinker, despite being well-dressed, was tossed out. Now, in his subway portrait, 'ill shaven, in a threadbare suit', his eyes are still 'bright and alert...with the slightest hint of a smile on his lips...looking every bit himself.'

There are times when our lives become lively memories.  It's easy to find oneself in a book like this.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #308 on: March 29, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
Reading y'alls posts about Rules of Civility I finally ordered a copy - looks like you both have finished reading - ah so - my copy will not arrive till next Wednesday - the bit on Amazon is the wonderful verbal banter that this author brings making the books he writes a joy to read. Well better late than never - next week I'm looking forward to the jazz age, maybe even the big band sound?? of Manhattan New York.

bellamarie

« Reply #309 on: March 29, 2018, 03:08:37 PM »
Oh dear Jonathan, I just finished the end and I am speechless..... I thought throughout the book I was bored and ready to stop reading it.  I said to my hubby and ten year old grandson,on Saturday night before I turned in for bed, "Why am I reading this book?  It is SO boring!"  Then of course I saw your post on Sunday morning, and decided to keep on going.  I could not be more happy I stuck with it.  I should have known after reading Towles, A Gentleman In Moscow, this author hits hard in the last chapters of the book, leaving you speechless.

Indeed there were many moral tones throughout the book.  Who would have ever guessed the past lives of these characters, let alone how drastically they change in their present lives.  Just like with the Count, Tinker proves to be everything you want him to be.  Or at least "I" wanted them to be.  It seems so fitting I would end this book on Maundy Thursday, the first day of celebrating the Easter Triduum.  Gives even more meaning to rereading the Preface.  There are just times in your life, just like these characters in this book, that timing is everything. 

Life doesn't have to provide you any options at all.  It can easily define your course from the outset and keep you in check though all manner of rough and subtle mechanics.  To have even one year when you're presented with choices that can alter your circumstances, your character, your course__that's by the grace of God alone.  And it shouldn't come without a price.

Jonathan,   
It's easy to find oneself in a book like this.

Indeed it is...... 

Made me think, what if..... I had not ceased God's grace, giving me the courage to move out of my home on my eighteenth birthday to live in an apartment with my girlfriends, which led to a night out at a nightclub across the state line, by chance meeting this guy tripping all over my heels, who had just gotten back into his hometown from driving nonstop twenty hours from Rapid City South Dakota, after his stint of four years in the Air Force.  What if..... my best girlfriend had not accepted his offer to date him, after I had ignored his flirtatious stepping on my heels that night.  What if.....she had not decided he was not the one she wanted, because she was waiting for my ex boyfriend to come home from the service, she had been secretly writing to, and hoping to marry.  What if..... I had not returned to that night club after they decided not to date any longer, and what if.... I had said no, to his persistent attempts to get me to say yes, to going out on a date with him. Some call it fate, destiny, like Towles, I prefer to call it God's grace.

Like Katey,  I have no doubt that they were the right choices for me.  And at the same time, I know that right choices by definition are the means by which life crystallizes loss.

Barb, you will not be disappointed.  Like Jonathan mentions, as you read Rules Of Civility, you will notice how Towles was setting himself up to write A Gentleman In Moscow.  I am so glad I read his second book first, he convinced me I loved his writing style, so luckily I stayed with Rules Of Civility

Jonathan, thank you for hanging around and sharing this book with me.  As always, you show me things I know I may have missed without your keen eye, and insightful mind. 

I am glad I was a guest at the wedding, although there was never any lack of wine, for Jesus to provide a miracle for more.  They seemed to have plenty to drink!

bellamarie

« Reply #310 on: March 29, 2018, 03:49:52 PM »
Jonathan I have a tremendous idea, what if...........Towles did a book about the Gotham article, on the secrets of the Manhattanites!  Now that would be a page turner!!

bellamarie

« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2018, 11:13:58 AM »
If you thought we were done with A Gentleman In Moscow, think again.......

Kenneth Branagh is set to star in and produce Entertainment One's TV adaptation of A Gentleman in Moscow, based on the Amor Towles novel of the same name. ... Tom Harper is on board to direct the TV series, and will produce alongside Xavier Marchand of Moonriver Content.

Kenneth Branagh does look a bit dashing and would make a perfect Count Alexander Rostov.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/kenneth-branagh-to-star-produce-eones-tv-adaptation-of-a-gentleman-in-moscow-1202357404/

I can't wait for this to begin!!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #312 on: April 10, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »
I think Branagh would be perfect for the role.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #313 on: April 10, 2018, 03:51:26 PM »
Yes, how wonderful - I am so glad we read this book and yes I agree, Kenneth Branagh could pull this off - he can be a bit rough but he has an elegance that he can dig into for the earlier part of the book.

I'm also really glad we read it together - I've talked with a few who had read it on their own and they did not get near the connections or allegories that we saw reading this together.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #314 on: April 11, 2018, 11:26:02 AM »
I agree, Barb, we dug a lot of less obvious things out of the book.  My book is now making the rounds of a couple of friends, and I'll be interested to see what they make of it.

Jonathan

« Reply #315 on: April 11, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
Has anyone heard how Karen is doing? Well, hopefully. Didn't she put us on to a wonderful book. And to use your expression, Pat, didn't we make something interesting out of it. It will be interesting to see a film version of it. Kenneth Branagh is sure to find the drama. I always think of him playing King Henry V. He should make a splendid Count Rostov.

bellamarie

« Reply #316 on: April 11, 2018, 12:52:50 PM »
Karen, certainly did pick a good book for our group.  I too am concerned we have not heard from her since the surgery.  I hope all went well, and she is recuperating.  Is there any way to get in touch with her? 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #317 on: April 11, 2018, 06:31:24 PM »
Not as far as I know, Bellamarie.  I'm hoping it's a communication problem--that whichever family member is watching over her has too much else to do to figure out how to get on this site to give us news.  I can believe recuperation is slow, but it is indeed worrysome.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #318 on: April 12, 2018, 02:05:34 AM »
this gives me pause Pat - I wonder - we want privacy and our security is dependent on that privacy but not having any way to contact Karen is showing us how none of us are easily cared for when we care about each other as much as we do.

I am wondering if we need someone who we share our personal email and phone number so that if we do not hear for a week or more it is OK for that person from Senior Learn to make a call on our behalf.

bellamarie

« Reply #319 on: April 12, 2018, 11:21:04 AM »
Just saw MKaren posted in the Library section and is on the mend!!!  Good to hear from her.  Barb, it would be something to consider having a way of contacting someone.  I know you and PatH., have my email address, and also I am on FaceBook.  If for any reason I was unable to check in for a lengthy amount of time, I am not so sure any of my family would know to check any of my accounts.  I just may write this site down and let my hubby know how to get here.