Author Topic: The Remains of the Day ~ Kazuo Ishiguro ~ Mini Discussion for June 19th  (Read 7889 times)

bellamarie

PatH., 
If he can find  something inside him that he feels good about, the book has a happy ending.  What are his chances?

From the ending paragraphs, I think his chances are pretty good.

Ginny, I think we did discuss regrets, a bit of a ways back.  I think part of Stevens entire looking back, was struggling with some regrets.  But then where do regrets really get anyone? 

As for melancholy feelings I had for this book, I felt very sad Stevens could not answer his father's last questions, or be at his bedside when he died.  I felt sad, Stevens passed up his happiness with Miss Kenton, and I also felt sad that Miss Kenton was not more forthcoming with Stevens, instead of playing games with him, trying to make him jealous.  I also felt sad that Lord Darlington turned out to be a disgrace, and an anti Semite.  The part of demanding the employees who were Jews to be fired immediately, tore at my heartstrings.  Stevens and Miss Kenton did not agree with Lord Darlington, but in order to keep their employment, they had to follow orders.  Miss Kenton so badly wanted Stevens to give her some sign that he personally did not agree with this order.  For him to remain silent, was very sad, for her, and me the reader.  I understand, they did not want to lose their jobs, and I know the reality, but it was still sad.
But... I felt the book ended with hope of happiness, for Stevens, and Miss Kenton who is looking forward to a grandchild!

Thanks to Ginny, for leading this mini discussion, it was nice to discuss a book again with all of you.
Barb, for joining us, I am glad to see your eyes are doing much better.
PatH., for your always great insight you contribute, in so few words.
Sue, for your index card question.
And to all who lurked, and did not comment, thanks for your interest.  I hope you enjoyed the discussion.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

ginny

• Administrator
Yeah I understand why people feel sad, too, that was nicely put!

Pat:

One thing I wonder about is Stevens' relationship with his father.  Stevens is working to excel at his father's notion of what one should be, wants his approval, but we don't really see if there is any liking or affection there.

In their last conversation, the dying father asks his son twice, "have I been a good father to you?" and Stevens doesn't answer.

He doesn't answer that question but he does respond, happily,  that he's glad that Father is feeling better and they'll talk in the morning, so it's not as bad  as it might seem to us in 2019..

What surprised me in that was his Father then saying , "I'm proud of you. A good son. I hope I've been a good father to you. I suppose I haven't."

Some men are startled and  embarrassed by emotion, especially at such times of high emotions,  stiff upper lip, especially the British, and perhaps Stevens thought he had more time to talk in the morning. Without the words being said, to me it's clear he loves his father, from what he did for him, (deeds, not words),   and it appears his father loves him.  It's just not that generation, to show emotion,  upstairs or down,  that's why I was startled at his Father's saying, and he seemed to be asking for reassurance or pardon. Perhaps Stevens's having  laughed happily  and saying I'm so glad you're better we'll talk in the morning was reassuring to him, oh dad, it's nothing, not to worry, we'll talk later type of thing...   Unfortunately as we all  know, death bed scenes don't always happen as they do in the movies, people are under such stress anyway.

Would have, should have, could have, but Stevens shows no remorse or regret here, saying his father would have been proud of him.

I'm glad you brought this up.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
ah another post from Ginny since I started writing - yes, yes, not changing this post but much in agreement...

So glad Bellamarie you pulled us all together as you had earlier pulled the issues we discussed all together.

Pat your boil is always the refinement of the issues - great skill - how you get there would be fascinating to read.

Ginny terrific - great choice - I wonder though if we would have plumbed its depths so quickly if this was a first time read -  I'm curious - remember you said you saw something different this time when you read and contemplated the story compared to the way you saw the story years ago - Ginny what was the difference you noted.

Glad Sue you popped in - great question.

As to regret - hmm - seems to me we would be injecting our own view of choices - Did Lord Darlington feel regret I wonder - he acted with good intent and a good heart with what he knew and yet because of learning Hitler had no intention of creating peace and in fact shocked the western world to its knees with behavior beyond anyone's imagination it is too easy to point a finger and say - see what you wanted to allow with your secret negotiations. Sounds like intent has no place in our acceptable lexicon of individual efforts towards a peaceful solution when people and nations are at odds. The only room we make is as the book says to label these intents no matter how good or pure as a wasted life.

How often do we engage another being naive ourselves, with good intentions, but we blow it because we do not have all the information or, because we trust and can only imagine someone's behavior based on our vision that people are basically good. Having been betrayed by people who you trust is a painful, numbing, soul altering experience and that is Lord Darlington's experience. Then for others to throw salt in that huge cavity of a wound by saying his life was wasted - sorry I see people dressed as red and black devils throwing pitchforks in what is left of an emotionally destroyed man. 

As to Stevens feeling regret - I doubt it - he was always on a razors edge - to be a great butler or give into his feelings and be denied the opportunity to be in the same room with the great leaders he could say he met. We sure have seen many a movie about success that required so much that the wife and family became comma's - often when success is achieved the growth is so great the wife did not have the opportunity to similarly grow and he takes on a different partner or we have the Stepford wife who is also about being the perfect wife at the expense of parking her feelings -

This either/or plagued the royals till this generation reached maturity - we started with Margaret, who to be correct as a minor royal player had to let go of her love because he would be divorced and then later she rebelled, never to be the same - Then we had Charles saying his childhood was lonely and unhappy, he marries out of duty but did not go for greatness as Stevens but instead, took on the ire of the land by divorcing and marrying for his feelings. And Andrew is a strange one. Not only divorced but his ex, Sarah still lives downstairs in the house where he lives upstairs  - so far, William is pulling it off combining duty, dignity and his feelings - Harry we will see, he has already moved out of the royal compound and he does wear his feelings on his sleeve.

I think the 60s brought a major shift on many fronts or actually the late 50s - relations, the acceptance of Divorce, the concept of getting in touch with your feelings, the idea that all war is wrong, women are equal and need to go for their dreams, less classics taught in high school or required for a degree in collage, men can and should take an active role in caring for children - on and on - I see this story as being "Of The Day" Days that accomplished all they could so that since the 60's their required choices we find difficult to admire.

I do not remember the exact quote - I did not underline it when I was reading Petrarch - writing to his brother he said it takes time to be a Christian - also this Renaissance poet, author, collector of ancient texts, known as the “Father of Humanism” wrote to Boccaccio, "if he stopped working, “I should cease to live. . . . I desire that death find me reading and writing.” He died near Padua on July 18, 1374, leaning over a book of Virgil’s poetry."

The idea that to be a Christian takes time was a new concept when I read it however, I see it takes time to be more than craftsmanship like excellent in a career as well as an engaged father/mother - we see how many of the homemaking skills from past generations are no longer learned by young women or part of a career women's daily tasks from sewing to cooking - something had to go in order to have the significant jobs women expect today -

If being a Christian takes time then it stands to reason it takes time to give attention to your inner and emotional life. Giving attention to your feelings and still be successful on the job also takes time - in the 30s and during the war, 10 or (11 counting an hour for non paid lunch) six days a week was usual.

I still remember in the early 50s it was unusual to have a job that did not expect you to work at least a half day on Saturday - The US Congress passed the Fair Labor Standards Act, which limited the workweek to 44 hours. June 26, 1940 and only later amended it to a 40 hour work week. HOWEVER, get this...

"Working hours in the UK are currently not limited by day, but by week, as first set by the Working Time Regulations of 1998, which introduced a limit of 40 hours per week for workers under 18, and 48 hours per week for over 18s. This was in line with the European Commission Working Time Directive of 1993. UK regulations now follow the EC Working Time Directive of 2003, but workers can voluntarily opt out of the 48 hour limit. A general 8 hour limit to the working day has never been achieved in the UK.

Stevens was handling a great house when long days of work were normal, during a time of decreasing resources but increasing significant meetings with world leaders as compared to his father. Preparing for a shooting party is one thing, preparing for a party to prevent nations shooting is another. Stevens appreciated that opportunity while Miss Keaton was pursuing an alignment of the heart that ended up more like the war, without bullets, trying to be avoided upstairs. 

We can all question our choices but given the story in that time, any regrets meant taking the other road that, as we saw Stevens dismissing as a problem staff that chose to leave service for marriage.  As for Miss Keaton feeling regret, would be over her imagined love that was never really there. And so regret for Mrs. Binn would have been her lost wish that was no different then the thousands of young women who lost their love to the battlefield and got on with it. 

Plus ;) :) :D for the story to be The Remains of The Day - for that time in history with all its work ethics and British world influence to be the remains, it had to stop with the symbol of those remains - a childless, dignified English Butler.

OK I had great fun - thanks for the opportunity - not sure about the mini but onward - sounds like a change to the remains of our days discussing books here on Senior Learn in order to keep up to date. ah so... and such is life...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ginny

• Administrator
That was a good take on dignity, too, Pat, it made me think a bit about what we consider dignity today.. I am not sure you hear much about  people being dignified, especially in the current situation with celebrities etc., who seem to feel that the more undignified your dress and behavior the better it is. Flaunt convention!

See how old and stodgy that looks? Even to me. I don't think today we care much about dignified conventions ("looking and behaving in a 'dignified manner'") especially since there seem to be so many ideas of what constitutes proper behavior,  but we do seem to care about people who hold office not engaging in scandalous behavior as if taking on the office would change somehow the man or woman occupying it.

But there was a time they did. I wonder why. Stevens does ruminate a lot on what makes a "gentleman," and what doesn't, but when asked for a definition all he can think to tell the doctor is not taking your clothes off in public. Maybe the theory was if you ACT  in a dignified manner then maybe you will BE dignified and that will make you better than that clod in the street. I think it comes down to class.

I don't know.  It's been a really good book to discuss, though, Thank you all!

ginny

• Administrator
Oh good points, Barbara, as always!

Yes we're posting together.

That's interesting as well,  on the hours of the day worked, but don't they have humongously long vacations (if they live through those daily hours?)

I'm curious - remember you said you saw something different this time when you read and contemplated the story compared to the way you saw the story years ago - Ginny what was the difference you noted.

I've been asking myself that, too. hahahaa  What I saw then was what we all saw:  the repressed butler, isn't it sad, etc, devotion to duty instead of a "real" life,  and a relationship with Miss Kenton, etc., etc., poor repressed thing, even with his father dying, poor man...  which I still see, somewhat,  but at the last reading it (and I don't think this is the author's intention at all.....I think the author intended for us to feel sorry for this man who put duty before emotions and life and  how that duty changed him, and  betrayed him and continues to),  but that's not what I saw this time.

This time I see an humble Idealist, almost a hero, who is single mindedly   determined to do the best he can at any cost to accomplish his goal, to  make a difference in the world (he's said so enough) and in the  field he has chosen to do it.  He is focused on it and obsessed by his goals  to the exclusion of everything and everybody else.  He finds pleasure in doing it well, whether anybody else understands his quest or not:  it's challenging to him intellectually and physically: for some reason it means the world to him, something in his past, perhaps.   And while it's not a religious vocation he's as single minded and dedicated as if it were.   It's this type of person in our society who ends  up owning Amazon or Apple.

Whether he fails or not is really not the point, his trying is the  point, and he's not trying for personal gain, just the reflected glory of a job done well which made a difference.

I  liked your analogy above to people who put their jobs before family, etc. He's taken care of that in the changing time in which he lives by prudently  not getting romantically involved. Is he wrong?  Time and/ or the author will tell. :)

I'm not saying this well, but I admire him, just as he is, because he has never stopped trying to dream the impossible dream.

ginny

• Administrator
- not sure about the mini but onward - sounds like a change to the remains of our days discussing books here on Senior Learn in order to keep up to date. ah so... and such is life...

No no no no? Nothing has changed? This is just a little interlude? A Summer Fling? Something different?

I liked it? For ME who does Weekly Assignments for 19 classes all year long (think about that)  it's a joy and fun just to talk about a book as you would in person without any fuss, and if given the CHANCE, this would be MY preference for ME in doing a book discussion, but it doesn't affect the Books here at all!

Nothing has changed.

:)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
ah so - we can continue some in-depth conversations about a book - like it probably selfishly - I learn more but I also examine my values along the way - so great ...

And YES... Wonderful... because I too actually like and respect Stevens - never thought but yes, as if a monk or probably an Abbot in charge of the entire Abby, from monk to land and they too, like these country houses, had to be self sufficient after the French Revolution since so many were located in France. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
In fact after the mini Education I am anxious to read a novel that takes place in France or a French settlement - been awhile

bellamarie

Barb
he acted with good intent and a good heart with what he knew and yet because of learning Hitler had no intention of creating peace and in fact shocked the western world to its knees with behavior beyond anyone's imagination it is too easy to point a finger and say - see what you wanted to allow with your secret negotiations.

Having been betrayed by people who you trust is a painful, numbing, soul altering experience and that is Lord Darlington's experience. Then for others to throw salt in that huge cavity of a wound by saying his life was wasted - sorry I see people dressed as red and black devils throwing pitchforks in what is left of an emotionally destroyed man.                                                 

Lord Darlington may have been an "emotionally destroyed man", but he brought it upon himself. Be careful who you put your trust in. Imagine how his employees felt, when he ordered their immediate firing, for the simple reason for being a Jew. 

As Mr. Cardinal said to Stevens about Lord Darlington:

"His lordship is a dear, dear man. But the fact is, he is out of his depth. He is being maneuvered. The Nazis are maneuvering him like a pawn. Have you noticed this, Stevens? Have you noticed this is what has been happening for the last three or four years at least?"

"No one with good judgement could persist in believing anything Herr Hitler says after the Rhineland, Stevens. His lordship is out of his depth.

Stevens’s insistence that Lord Darlington was never anti-Semitic—while still recounting Darlington’s explicitly anti-Semitic comments and acts—comes to seem similarly troubling.  Because he is so loyal to Lord Darlington, Stevens himself contributes to this norm by firing two Jewish maids under his employer’s orders.    https://www.litcharts.com/lit/the-remains-of-the-day/themes/politics-and-loyalty

I personally, have a difficult time feeling sorry for Lord Darlington. [edited to conform to site rules]

I'll end my time with this discussion now, because I'm NOT sorry, I can NOT find compassion for a man who showed NONE, for the Jewish people.  Imagine their huge cavities, that remains open to this very day. The Remains of the Day, takes on a whole new meaning for me.

Like the saying goes.. The road to hell was paved by good intentions.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

ginny

• Administrator
And now it's time to close our excellent first foray into the world of the Mini Discussion. I think we've done an amazingly  good job with our first try, and I'm looking forward to our next Mini in the series, Educated, which is coming July 19.

Thanks to all of you for your contributions.

Hope to see you then!