Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #1  (Read 162645 times)

Steph

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2009, 08:02:54 AM »
We did a day trip on the Canal once. Fun, but truly truly slow.. I want to do a small barge trip in the Netherlands.. We saw them when we were on our river boat a few years ago. Very few people, bikes for everyone..They encourage you to bike along and meet them. They use local food and really look like fun.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2009, 10:04:53 AM »
Obviously, STEPH, you are much younger than I.  Ride a bike again? In my dreams!   ::)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

hats

« Reply #242 on: February 11, 2009, 12:20:04 PM »
I have reread "The Secret Life of Bees." I love it more than the first time. It's such a great book. Who can forget the calendar sisters, August, May and June?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #243 on: February 11, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Steph, the canalboats we're looking at are stocked with a couple of bicycles.  John might possibly ride one, but definitely NOT me!  :D
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mabel1015j

« Reply #244 on: February 11, 2009, 05:16:56 PM »
Hats - they were a good group.........have you seen the movie? I haven't, but hope to soon...............jean

hats

« Reply #245 on: February 11, 2009, 05:19:02 PM »
Hi Mabel,

No, I haven't seen the movie. I have it in my queue now. I hope it comes tomorrow. Have you seen the movie?

Steph

« Reply #246 on: February 12, 2009, 08:50:23 AM »
I loved The Secret Life of Bees, but have no great interest in the movie..
Hey guys, I am 71, exercise a lot and think that riding the bike gently over the canal paths would be interesting. I know an 80 year old who did it and said it is the neatest way to visit all of the teeny towns and I do know that literally everyone in the Netherlands rides bikes everywhere.

hats

« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2009, 08:38:45 AM »
The movie is wonderful. I'm surprised.

Babi

« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2009, 08:59:19 AM »
Congratulations, STEPH.  You must have led a much more active life than I have.  I thought you were much younger than I, and I find you're only a couple of years younger.  I am a good example of what happens when most of your work, hobbies, etc. are sedentary!  The most strenuous part of my life was chasing after my toddlers!   ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2009, 10:28:34 AM »
I'm reading, and loving, The Guernsey Literary, etc.  I know there's a discussion on it, but I don't really care for that much dissection of books.  On the other hand, I cannot recommend this one too highly.  It's great!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Tomereader1

« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2009, 12:24:39 PM »
maryz, I am reading the "Guernsey" book right now also.  I haven't enjoyed a book quite this much since "The Uncommon Reader".  There is laughter on almost every page, combined with the seriousness underlying the reason for the letters.   Amazing how people can cope with terrible circumstances, isn't it?

The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #251 on: February 13, 2009, 04:46:47 PM »
yes, after thinking I could not read one more WWII story I picked it up and found it delightful - so well put together with letters exploring the characters - there are so many shadow characters and situation it is like a story creating one metaphor on top of another.   I love it - however I am at the end of the part before Section Two where it speaks of so many horrors - I have read so much of this that it becomes like playing around in the muck and needing a good bath to retain my belief in mankind and my own metal state so that I do not sink knowing there are always power mongers who can light the fuse to unspeakable horror. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #252 on: February 13, 2009, 06:14:38 PM »
Hi Barbara I would love to read the Guernsey book but the paperback doesn't come out til May 5th. I cannot read hard cover books. I ordered a Kindle 2 yesterday so when it comes maybe I will be able to catch up on the discussion.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #253 on: February 13, 2009, 06:45:38 PM »
I finished Guernsey about noon, and John's into it now.  He's already compared it to 84 Charing Cross Road.  Of course, I'd thought of that, too - that's one of my all-time favorite books (as it was my mother's).  ;D

Steph

« Reply #254 on: February 13, 2009, 07:41:26 PM »
I am in the discussion, but hardly holding my own. I am not overfond of dissecting books.. I just enjoy this one such a lot and am even trying to simply read where we are each week. This is rare for me, since I like finishing things quicker than this.

Babi

« Reply #255 on: February 14, 2009, 08:37:13 AM »
JUDY, 'Guernsey' is not a large or heavy book.  If your objection of hard-backs is their weight, you might be able to handle this one.

CallieOK

« Reply #256 on: February 14, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »
I am of the same mind as those of you who dislike dissecting books.  Maybe that's because I'm so dense at "catching" the hidden meaning. 

C.S. Lewis is a good example of that.  Love the Narnia stories as stories but really have to struggle to see the implication/lessons that others see. 
I remember my high school English teacher being very impressed when I did a book report on "Anna Karenina".   I thought it was a good dramatic love story - had no clue why anyone would be impressed that I was reading Tolstoy.   Obviously, my education lacked depth.  :)

In these...um..."mature years", I'm a little bit more aware of settings, time frames, etc.  I've read "Guernsey" and thought it was a delightful story.  I'm lurking in the discussion and enjoying the observations.  Might participate more if the entire book was being discussed at once.

I've just finished reading "A Prisoner of Birth" by Jeffrey Archer.  I like his books.  This one was a page-turner and I had a hard time putting it down.
Love it when I find the title worked into the text.  (Now that makes it easier to figure out the meaning - although I had done so before I saw it  :) )

Steph

« Reply #257 on: February 14, 2009, 11:22:01 AM »
I like the book discussions, but occasionaly in the old seniornet would get aggravated at the in depth parts when the story itself was so good. But like some others, I am sure my education was not strong on hidden meanings. I did not run into this until college. Went to a small rural school and the teachers tended to be quite literal..

mynioga

« Reply #258 on: February 14, 2009, 03:26:54 PM »
I'm smiling to myself as I read about those of you who aren't "into book discussions".     I thought I was the odd man out here.     I enjoy the story but don't always want to pick it apart as is done in those.     Perhaps my early education like someone else said had a lot to do with it.     Oh well,   it's too late for me now, I will just read and enjoy in my own way. :)

Jeffrey Archer...............That reminded me of a book of his  I read a long time ago and never really forget,  "As the Crow Flies".    It was a good rags to riches story that spanned many years and many changes.
Mary

CallieOK

« Reply #259 on: February 14, 2009, 04:07:56 PM »
Well, now, this is interesting.  I also went to a small rural town school.  I vaguely remember reading a classic every year in English - but nothing about any of them stuck.  Once in a while, we would be taken to the one movie theatre to see some full-length feature; the only one I remember is "Les Miserables" in b/w and that I thought it was depressing.  There was never any class discussion on the "deeper meaning".  I suppose we were all supposed to "get it" by osmosis!
Same with "Social Studies" (History).  Read the chapter and answer the questions at the end.  Once a week, bring a "current event" clipping to read to the class.  That was it.

Mynioga, I read "As The Crow Flies" and most of Jeffrey Archer's other novels.  I can't remember why he was imprisoned in England for a while.  He's written a couple of non-fiction books about that experience and some of his recent novels have a "prison" theme.   I think he must have been very observant and maybe kept a diary while he was incarcerated - as any good writer would do with unusual Life Experiences.
Here's his web site http://www.jeffreyarcher.co.uk/ .  Notice the link to a discussion of "Prisoner of Birth" with David Frost in 2008.  I didn't know DF was still doing interviews.

EvelynMC

« Reply #260 on: February 14, 2009, 04:50:33 PM »
I also went to a small rural school where there were two or three grades in the same class room.  We just wrote book reports, handed them in, the teacher graded them and handed them back.  No discussion at all.

I have been mostly lurking in the "Guernsey" discussion, and have really enjoyed the book.  I read it last September and then bought a copy from Amazon to have for the discussion and have been reading it again as the discussion has gone along.

It is very difficult for me to dissect a book and look for hidden meanings. I think that's why I don't post much when I am in book discussions.

Evelyn

CallieOK

« Reply #261 on: February 14, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »
Isn't it nice that we have a place like this to just talk about the books we read and why we like them?  I am so glad to have met each of you.  :)

Next on my stack is a trilogy of mysteries set in Kansas (my neighbor to the north).  I picked it off the New Books shelf because of the locale and know absolutely nothing about the author or the book.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #262 on: February 14, 2009, 08:31:19 PM »
My issue isn't so much that I do not see hidden meanings - for me meanings do not seem hidden - I seem to easily make connections as I compare events and people  in the book to events and people I know, or have read about in other books - The problem with some discussions for me is, you end up with folks who cannot accept any other interpretation of what they are reading other than their own and so you end up having to go to battle to have your views considered acceptable or you just give in and then why bother. For me there is enough in my life to get in a kufuffle about other than trying to protect viewpoints while discussing a book.

I remember a couple of the authors who posted when we read their books saying something to the affect that once a book was made public it was as much the readers story as the author's story - few of us share the same life experiences and so that can be an asset to each bringing another viewpoint but it also means differences in viewpoints and some folks just cannot seem to accept views different from their own - ah so...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

CallieOK

« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2009, 09:07:38 PM »
Barb, I quite agree about needing no kufuffles (what a delightful word!).

Some of the best conversations I've ever had were with people who saw things differently than I did.  Some of the most boring were with people who simply "go along to get along" and agree with everything everybody says.

Babi

« Reply #264 on: February 15, 2009, 10:31:25 AM »
CALLIE, your remark about the 'meaning' in the Narnia books reminded me of something my ex-DIL told me.  She loved the Narnia books and got them for her two kids (my grandchildren, of course).  She is Jewish and has raised them in that faith.  Therefore, she was startled when someone said to her that C.S. Lewis' Narnia books were "Christian propoganda".  "No way", she replied. But she did go back and re-read them.
   After a second reading with this idea in mind, she conceded, "Okay, they are propaganda.  But they're good[/b]  propaganda!"

STEPH-and Callie-  I think a lot of the 'hidden meanings' we find have as much to do with the history and perceptions of the reader than the intentions of the author.  I've heard more than one story of someone declaiming on the meaning of some poem or incident in a book, only to have the author say he intended no such meaning when he wrote.

mynioga

« Reply #265 on: February 15, 2009, 11:33:15 AM »

I remember a couple of the authors who posted when we read their books saying something to the affect that once a book was made public it was as much the readers story as the author's story - few of us share the same life experiences and so that can be an asset to each bringing another viewpoint but it also means differences in viewpoints and some folks just cannot seem to accept views different from their own - ah so...

This is so very true for me.    I love it when I'm reading one story and keep thinking of how the events or facts relate back to another one that I've read.   

My daughter and I have talked often about how much history we have learned from fiction and how much easier it is to absorb than it was from the times and dates of actual history books.   I'm thinking right now about Anita Shreve's book  Resistance.    It taught me so much more about the people of Europe during the WWII days than I ever learned from other sources.

Someone mentioned new mystery trilogy about Kansas.....care to share the author's name?   I'm particularly interested in stories set in various places around this country.     I like the "flavor" of other places in the US.
Mary

nlhome

« Reply #266 on: February 15, 2009, 11:34:45 AM »
I remember reading Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte), then studying it in high school twice and once in college. Every time, I found new passages I didn't remember from before, new ideas, and good discussions. Those multiple discussions opened my eyes to the ways that books and characters can be looked at. I then took a poetry course and was struck by how each word choice could carry so much meaning.

I still prefer to look at the big picture, but it's good to discipline myself now and then to get into the subtleties, and then I find I can enjoy myself.

CallieOK

« Reply #267 on: February 15, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
Babi, I agree with your ex-DIL.  All of Lewis' books are good "propaganda"/metaphor/whatever the description would be - when one finally understands the specifics of the references.  (Picture here a puzzled person with fog about her head reading the Narnia books with Bible in hand  :))

Mynioga, I would have given title/author when I mentioned the book set in Kansas - but it was at the other end of the house and I was too lazy to go fetch it.  Sorry  :-[

It's a paperback - title "Cozy In Kansas" by Nancy Mehl, who lives in Wichita.  The three "romance mysteries" are "In The Dead of Winter", "Bye Bye Bertie" and "For Whom The Wedding Bell Tolls".  Blurb on the back cover reads: "Love and mystery at a rare bookstore.  The eclectic citizens of Winter Break, Kansas keep Ivy Towers on her toes as she solves a series of puzzling mysteries and navigates the mysterious ways of love."
Looks as if it could be classified as "Christian Romance". 

If you like stories with good descriptions of specific places, may I recommend the following books by Oklahoma authors and set in Oklahoma:

David Kent:  Mesa Conspiracy, Department 30, The Triangle Conspiracy and The Black Jack Conspiracy  One of these is set very near my house! (In the interest of safety, I won't say which one) Interesting to follow the story line and picture the streets, etc.

Anything by Rilla Askew

Jim Lehrer's "One Eyed Mack" series:  First one is "Kick The Can".   "The Sooner Spy" gets caught in the town where I grew up.  The name of the town is disguised - thinly to those who know the area. More fun following all these tongue-in-cheek stories about Oklahoma politics through places with which I'm very familiar.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2009, 04:57:27 PM »
Hi Callie, Mynioga, Evelyn, Nlhomw.  I wonder if some of you would go into your home page and put up the state you live in?? Its fun when you are posting to be able to tell where a person lives, makes it a little more personal.

I agree with you comments about book discussions, I really would rather lurk.  I remember years ago discussing a book and I swear they went on for ever about why the womans hat was pink or blue. I thought to myself who cares??? I don't think there is a hidden meaning in everything I just read because I love to.

Just finished a good book call Last Seen Alive by Charlene Thompson and enjoyed it, the end snuck right up on me. hehe

CallieOK

« Reply #269 on: February 15, 2009, 05:44:35 PM »
Judy, my location is in my Profile - but doesn't show under my name (although that gives it, too).  What do I need to click to correct that?

mabel1015j

« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2009, 12:40:03 AM »
Don Coldsmith has some very good historical fiction about the Kansas territory and the mid-west. One series starts about 1830 and he talks about the Native Americans life-styles and about slavery and the lead-up to the Civil War and what it was like to be on either side of that question while living in Kansas or surrounding states.................. the first two of that series are "Tall Grasses" and "South Wind." He's written a lot of other novels of the history of that area, but i haven't read any than those two, yet.........................jean

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #271 on: February 16, 2009, 10:58:55 AM »
If you don't care for dissecting the reasons for an author's writing of fiction, how about reading historical fiction??? I am considering discussing one in May, "Loving Frank".  This is a good book and historically correct in most places. Anyone want to read and discuss it??
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #272 on: February 16, 2009, 11:06:41 AM »
CallieOK...

Go to PROFILE/ Forum Profile Information/ Personal Text [at the lower end there at the top where you upload photos]...and then go to the bottom of the page and click on Change Profile.

jane

Steph

« Reply #273 on: February 16, 2009, 01:38:52 PM »
I am looking forward to the Hedgehog in April as well.. Read Loving Frank, but mostly it annoyed me, so as much I like his architecture, etc, did not consider her the type of human I wanted to know.. Isnt that silly.. but quite true, I am afraid. I need a character in a book that I like and can identify with.. Both Frank and his love were silly to me.
I hated her death, so unnecessary.
I am having fun with Guernsey, but feel no need to go back and read Seneca or Lamb..
I do wish the author had written more since I do like the writing style.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #274 on: February 16, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »
 ;D  ;D

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #275 on: February 16, 2009, 01:55:15 PM »
Stupid post where did it go????
Yesterday I read a book just for the fun of it.  Its an older Kristin Hannah book called Distant Shores. Its not a comedy but sometime its just funny. I have always loved Hannah's books.

Babi

« Reply #276 on: February 17, 2009, 09:00:36 AM »
STEPH, I imagine it's our individual tastes that lead us to other books.  I wanted to read Seneca because of what was said about it in 'Guernsey' and because I like "The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius".  I read Lamb's essay on the pig from the link, but had no urge to read more.

JUDY, I hope you read many more books 'just for the fun of it'.  I read most books for that reason, ...and also because I'm hooked! 

Steph

« Reply #277 on: February 17, 2009, 09:17:57 AM »
FUN... FUN .. I am with you. I am reading a Terry Pratchett just now because he makes me laugh out loud.. Its called Making Money and in his alternate world, a crook is in charge of th e economy.. First I laughed and then I thought.. Hmm. a true story indeed.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #278 on: February 17, 2009, 11:34:49 PM »
Well shucks, I never should have come here because now it's 10:30 pm and I've got to get to bed -- lot's going on tomorrow, and there's so much I want to comment on.  So, will have to come back tomorrow.

But, I'll tell you one thing this once in a while discussion leader llearned from Guernsey or GLPPPS, as we call it.  I didn't know there were so many people who alphabetized their spices.

Adoannie -- there's another Frank Lloyd Wright "affair" book coming out this month.  T.C. Boyle, the women.  I've read only a little about it, but he takes the latest relationship first and then works backwards through all Wright's women.  I have Loving Frank (bought it because i felt guilty taking up so much of the bookstore person's time), haven't read it, have loaned it out to two people.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #279 on: February 18, 2009, 01:37:36 AM »
I didn't know there were so many people who alphabetized their spices.
:D :D :D ;) I'm still laughing outloud at that exchange --