Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #1  (Read 162621 times)

joyous

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers
« Reply #560 on: April 27, 2009, 09:49:31 AM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

Babi: <women I believe could pay off their debts with the money spent on the shoes in their closets>----Truer words were never spoken~~~~
Joy

Pei Li

« Reply #561 on: April 27, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »
Just to add to the fiction list- anything by Sigrid Nunez my favorites, The Last of Her Kind and For Rouenna (not sure if I have that spelling correct) after reading these I got as many Nunez works as possible from library and found all satisfying and enjoyed reading an author grow.

Steph

« Reply #562 on: April 28, 2009, 08:28:24 AM »
I loved strappy high heels in every color of the rainbow. Fashion has never really interested me, but shoes,, oh me.. My granddaughter and I do our very best talking in shoe stores. She feels like her Nana and we do love to try on everything in the store. I know I cant wear them anymore, but I sitll like to at least try them on and at 13, she is getting to the wear them stage.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

mabel1015j

« Reply #563 on: April 28, 2009, 01:48:36 PM »
Pei Li - tell us about the Nunez storiess.................jean

Aberlaine

« Reply #564 on: April 28, 2009, 07:57:44 PM »
My oldest child won't be 40 until August, 2010.  I love Birkenstocks.  Done.

I'm starting to read The Alienist by Caleb Carr and The Beans of Egypt, MaineThe Alienist looks like it's a murder mystery set in NYC in 1896 when Theodore Roosevelt first became the police commissioner.

The Beans of Egypt, Maine is an old book about grinding poverty.  It's my f2f book group's choice for May.  Both should be interesting.

Nancy

Steph

« Reply #565 on: April 29, 2009, 07:28:26 AM »
Aberlaine,, I have read and loved both books. Carolyn Chute of the Beans books wrote another book last year, but it is not nearly as good as the Beans. I liked Caleb Carr in two books, both about New York many years ago, but hated the futuristic one he wrote a few years back.
I am reading Splintered Icon.. Interesting sort of take on "The True Cross" artifacts, spanish and english voyages, etc. He could have tightened the plot, A lot of suspicious lurking and violence but still fun.

Babi

« Reply #566 on: April 29, 2009, 10:10:44 AM »
 I see my library has one Nunez book.  I echo JEAN's request, Pei Li...
please tell me more about her books.

I am thoroughly enjoying Jack Schaefer's book, Monte Walsh. I can't remember if it was recommended here or in the 'Library' posts, but I'm very
glad I picked it up. A realistic look at the life of a cowboy, but full of humor and
the kind of episodes that show the strength and bonds of that way of life.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #567 on: April 29, 2009, 01:29:47 PM »
I loved Monte Walsh.  Shane is on my list but i would be surprised if it is a better book. Maybe it is time to reread Trail of the Lonesome Pine, The Virginian and Ramona  (no, not Ramona Quimby but the one written by Helen Hunt Jackson in 1884).
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #568 on: April 29, 2009, 04:12:27 PM »
Babi, glad you've enjoyed Monte Walsh.  We liked it better than Shane.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Pei Li

« Reply #569 on: April 29, 2009, 08:17:56 PM »
Jean and Babi-
I am thrilled to encourage anyone here to read Sigrid Nunez- so two of her more recent novels- The Last of her Kind--and For Rouenna (not sure if I am spelling correctly)

Anyway For Rouenna is so much more remarkable than I can suggest about the friendship that develps between a novelist and a former Viet Nam combat nurse.  I think even Amazon.com has a much better hook with the 'front flap' able read online.

The Last of her Kind might in some ways not catch the attention of a mass audience- even me- my early experience was not going to college in the traditional way.  I was a single parent, night school student so in many ways I do not relate to the characters.  But there is a message for so many of us, here's a 'flap' from the author's website
Ann Drayton and Georgette George meet as freshman roommates at Barnard College in 1968. Ann, who comes from a wealthy New England family, is brilliant and idealistic. Georgette, who comes from a bleak town in upstate New York, is mystified by Ann’s romanticization of the underprivileged class, which Georgette herself is hoping college will enable her to escape. An intense and difficult friendship is born. Years after a fight ends their friendship, Ann is convicted of a violent crime. As Georgette struggles to understand what has happened, she is led back to their shared history and to an examination of the revolutionary era in which the two women came of age

mrssherlock

« Reply #570 on: April 29, 2009, 09:29:47 PM »
Pei Li:  The Last of her Kind sounds like quite a reading experience.  I didn't have the luxury of that kind of college experience, either.  Reading about it is like a fantasy, so far removed from my life.  I[ve got the book on reserve, thanks for recommending it.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #571 on: April 30, 2009, 08:25:30 AM »
Hmm, sounds like you might like Marge Piercy. She is a feminists and writes really good books on both the 60s experience and feminine answers. La Vida is about a woman who was involved in the Weather Underground type organization. She has gone under and stays under all these years later. Moving constantly and not having any sort of normal experience.. It blew my mind back in the 80's when I first read it. I looked for and read every single one of her books after that. They are wonderful.. But very complicated.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #572 on: April 30, 2009, 02:02:33 PM »
Finished Fast Track by Fern Michaels. She is always good I enjoy her books. I have kept  all her series and figured when I got old maybe I would read them again. Well I am old and don't have time to read them again. If I have to downsize as much as I think they will have to go to the book store.

I had a moment yesterday. I had a 90 something lady in the car and took her to GH hospital. Alert funny and so much more. I turned a corner and there was a round bed of daffodils on the corner. She said oh look at those daffodils some work of God and the color. This was the strange part I would have swore at that moment I had May Sarton in the car. After reading Sarton and how she describes the flowers comeing up in her yard. I swear it was her.

mabel1015j

« Reply #573 on: April 30, 2009, 02:39:59 PM »
Nunez sounds like a good read for me. Thanks Pei Li.

I had forgotten about Piercy, thanks for reminding me, Steph.

I just finished Wages of Fame by James McPherson. It's an historical novel about the pre-civil war period. He writes women characters very well. This is the second in his Stapleton family series. The first was in colonial and revolutionary NYC. Since he is a noted historian, i'm always wondering as i read him, "did this really happen, or is this fiction?" In this book he has Sarah Polk, wife of James Polk and CAroline STapleton manipulating political events in the run up to the Civil WAr, w/ Caroline being very frustrated by the lack of power that women can have openly in society. It's an interesting look at what is power? My only negative comment is that he used the old ruberic "illigitimate" pregnancy as a central part of his book. (sigh) If authors didn't have infidelity and "wrongful" birth to conjure up drama, what would they do? Makes it too much like a soap opera, which i don't denigrate, except for their use of that same story, over and over and over again.........................I also like that he includes the lives of minorities in his books, there is little of that in popular fiction......................................jean

Babi

« Reply #574 on: May 01, 2009, 08:38:39 AM »
I've always enjoyed good historical novels, JEAN.  I'll try to find time to look into James McPherson.  Right now, I'm about 4 1/2 books behind! 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #575 on: May 01, 2009, 09:09:20 AM »

The VOTE IS ON!  May 1 - May 5
After reading reviews of the nominated titles,
in the  Suggestion Box-  please vote for future Book Club Online discussions.

Thanks!

CubFan

« Reply #576 on: May 01, 2009, 11:07:05 AM »
I just finished Wages of Fame by James McPherson.    Jean

Greetings -

Jean, I think you meant Thomas Fleming as author.  I too have recently finished the book - in reality I just finished the Stapleton series.  I found them very interesting historically but I couldn't/didn't like the main characters.  I had a hard time staying with the books and finally realized that it was because I found them depressing. 

Remember the Morning had meaning for me because the setting was exactly when (1600's) and where my ancestors were in New York.  Liberty Tavern also was meaningful as I had an ancestor tavern owner/chairman of a safety committee during the Revolutionary War in the Schoharie Co NY area and also Quaker ancestors in NJ at that time.

Wages of Fame dealt with a time period in history that I am very weak in so I think I finally have that presidential sequence in order and understand the problems. 

Rulers of the City brought back memories of the Civil Rights issues in the northern cities.  Promises to Keep gave a different perspective on the human rights issues but I didn't care for that one.   

I have several other Thomas Fleming historical fiction titles gathered for reading. I will probably leave them sit for a while.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

mabel1015j

« Reply #577 on: May 01, 2009, 01:48:29 PM »
Mary, of course, you're right, i've been seeing/reading too many historians lately  ;D ;D ......... jean

Pei Li

« Reply #578 on: May 01, 2009, 08:28:12 PM »
oh mrssherlock- yes I think you will truly enjoy the Nunez book.  What is so great is that even though we both share the 'not' sharing the particular experience, the sub theme about women friends and all those sometimes wonderful and sometimes sad things about friendship play out in this book.

so yes, although I did not have the luxury of a fulltime college experience, I do have in my life history an experience of how two friends took different paths.

if the book does not come forth as an official discussion, I do welcome your emails as you read.

mrssherlock

« Reply #579 on: May 01, 2009, 10:24:20 PM »
Pei Li:  I'll be sure to post about the Nunez book while I'm reading it.  And we can compare experiences of college with families and homes and jobs to take care of.
Jackie

serenesheila

« Reply #580 on: May 04, 2009, 06:03:17 PM »
I just ordered two of the Nunez books.  Your reccomendations convinced me that I will like her.

I am another, who attended college, as a wife and mother.  Regret not being able to go away to college and live in a dorm.  I only managed to complete 2 years.  After my husband died, I went back.  Took 9 units, got A's, and quit, again. I realized that at that age, I had no intention of going back to work.  But, I did prove to myself that I was capable of getting A's. 

I am a real history buff.  Watch CSpan 2, most weekends.  Also, any PBS history program.  My TV service also gives me both the History Channel, and History Channel International.  Infact, this morning I watched a program about the Japanese invation of Malaya and Shanghi.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sheila

Pei Li

« Reply #581 on: May 04, 2009, 08:41:17 PM »
this is great, serenesheila , which books did you order? and mrssherlock has posted she'll be reading Nunez as well.  Overall I think The last of her kind, was most well written, but For Rouenna truly touched my heart.

Yep me= young single parent way back before there was child care etc. at college's especially urban public universities, and older parents who had no inkling about college for a girl child, nor the funds to consider it.

but over time I do have 'friends' and the last of her kind is an amazing exploration of how people friends or acquaintances take that divergent path and what it means.

serenesheila

« Reply #582 on: May 06, 2009, 12:14:37 AM »
Pei Li, I cannot remember which Nunez novels I did order.  My senior moments come more and more frequently each day.  When they arrive, I will post their titles.  I think they will arrive by the end of this week.

I began college, when I was a high school senior.  The community college was right across the street from my high school.  I took English 1A and French.  I married right after high school.  My pursuit of getting an education continued mostly at night classes.  With 4 children, studying time was limited, and had many interruptions.  But, I did well.  Almost always carried a 3. something average.

I do not think I will ever lose my interest in learning more.  It is usual for me to have several books going at once.

Sheila

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
A little spamming, please excuse...
« Reply #583 on: May 06, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »
As often happens when there are so many nominations, the results tend to be scattered.  So that we come up with the title for the next book discussion with the most interest, we have set up a new poll with the top FIVE contenders.  You will only get to vote for one of them this time.

Before opening your ballot, please be sure that you are familiar with the following titles so you know what they are each  about - (You can learn about them by clicking the title in the chart in the heading at the top of the page in the Suggestion Box Discussion)

The Last Dickens by Pearl (read together with The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Dickens)
The Book Thief by Zusak
People of the Book by Brooks
Bridge of Sighs by Russo
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by Wroblewski

mabel1015j

« Reply #584 on: May 06, 2009, 01:28:23 PM »
I found a new author - to me - at the library, Haywood SMith. For those of you who like southern authors, Smith lives on the edge of Lake Lanier in Ga and her story is based in that area. This title is The Queen of Mimosa Beach. The lead chararacter is a 50-something woman who has just been screwed in a divorce. Left w/ no resources she returns to live w/ her Mother and DAd and Aunt and Uncle - both men are in different stages of dementia which she writes w/ humor. I read about 100 pages last night and am enjoying it very much.............jean

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #585 on: May 06, 2009, 02:33:48 PM »
Oh good I looked on my book shelves and I will read that next, I love books about the south.  I sure am having a hard time deciding which books are going with me and which are not. What to throw out and what not to throw out.
I really hate it.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #586 on: May 06, 2009, 03:57:07 PM »
Judy Laird, are you moving?  I guess I missed something.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #587 on: May 06, 2009, 06:03:10 PM »
Yes we are, I am not sure when, my daughter can't come down til October when the cruise ships and done. She wants me to wait til then so she can come down and help and have everything she wants shipped.
Its downsizing into a independant senior apts. Very Nice kind of like living in a 4star hotel. Its about 2 minutes from our house and we go to all the activites we want there now and also have dinner there every night.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #588 on: May 06, 2009, 07:31:23 PM »
I remember now - sounds great!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #589 on: May 06, 2009, 08:03:16 PM »
Oh my gosh, Judy, so you made the big decision.  How exciting.  So what kind of activities are you going to at the new place?  Do they have a library there -- maybe you could donate all those books there.

Jean, that Haywood SMith sounds like it would be a fun read -- but, maybe not so much fun moving back in with Mom and Dad at age 50.  Goodbye privacy and independence.  I just checked our library catalog and there are two by him/her(?), but Red Hat titles.  Is your lady Queen of the Red Hats?

mabel1015j

« Reply #590 on: May 07, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »
Peln - yes, i did see a "red hat" book, actually that caught my eye as i walked by the shelf, but this book had an earlier publishing date and i didn't know if it was part of a series, so i got this one first. The author is a woman..........I noticed i made a mistake in the book title that i'm reading, it's Mimosa Branch, not BEach................................jean

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #591 on: May 10, 2009, 09:25:16 PM »
I came in this evening to ask if any of you are watching Maspterpiece Mystery  this evening  on PBS.  Tonight is the first of three episodes of " Wallander:Sidetracked" with the Irish actor, Kenneth Branagh.

These episodes are based on best selling books by Henning Mankell -
Sidetracked, Firewall and One Step Behind Are you interested in a discussion of these thrilling mysteies? 
SeniorLearn has been contacted by Masterpiece HGTV - offering us free sets of two lf these books if we are interested.  (Masterpiece is one of our Reading Promotion Partners in the Library of Congress Center for the Book.)

If you are intersted in these books and chatting about the PBS adaptations, please post here and we'll open a discussion - and send you your set of novels.
I'm watching the first episode right now - Kenneth Branagh is Detective Wallender!

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #592 on: May 11, 2009, 03:40:48 PM »
If you did watch the Wallenders last night on PBS, there is a new discussion opened by BooksAdmin.

PBS Masterpiece Mystery!

I thought it quite good. I hope my station will show the remaing episodes.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #593 on: May 11, 2009, 06:53:41 PM »
OK, we've opened a General  PBS Masterpiece Discussion to determine if there is interest in the Wallanders - 
This is the question in the header of the new discussion.

Would you like to form a Wallander Book/Film club?   We could discuss  the PBS adaptation of Henrick Mankell's novels  and/or discuss  Mankell's  novels  if you are interested.  We can send you a set of two of the Wallander novels for the price of postage - if supplies last.  Are you interested?

Since I had posted in several discussions about the series yesterday, I'm going to ask those of you  who expressed interest to go into the new discussion, so all the information is in one place.
I'll be looking for you there, ready to take your orders!  ;)  Thanks!

Steph

« Reply #594 on: May 20, 2009, 09:37:04 AM »
I read the book about the 50 year old moving home and one of the red hat books. Loved the first, but did not really care for the red hat one. She is a good southern writer. Not much plot though.
Still settling in from the 18 days away. Judy,, you decided.. glad to hear it. Not sure I would want to give up cooking entirely..

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #595 on: May 20, 2009, 10:53:47 AM »
please bear with  me and I hope you all will keep posting. I  am inthe middle of moving and husband needed 911 yesterday and I am off to the doctor/
New e-mail
judy1007@hotmail.com

mrssherlock

« Reply #596 on: May 20, 2009, 12:18:36 PM »
Judy:  My prayers are with you as you shoulder these burdens.  Keep us posted how and when you can.  You have many friends here who are wishing you well.
Jackie

CallieOK

« Reply #597 on: May 20, 2009, 12:24:43 PM »
Hugs to you, Judy - and prayers for you and your husband.

Gumtree

« Reply #598 on: May 21, 2009, 01:20:45 AM »
Judy: Love and prayers are on their way. Don't forget to take good care of yourself too!
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #599 on: May 21, 2009, 08:58:05 AM »
Oh gosh, Judy.  My thought and prayers are with both you and Don.  Hope things are better today.