Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #1  (Read 162626 times)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers
« Reply #640 on: May 28, 2009, 03:41:08 PM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #641 on: May 28, 2009, 03:43:12 PM »
There, and don't mention it again.  You know what I'll do.  >:(    :-[

That blasted game

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #642 on: May 28, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
That's it, Babi!!  Hand and Foot is its name.

Jean
That book does sound enticing.  It sounds like anyone who likes geneology might like it also.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Gumtree

« Reply #643 on: May 29, 2009, 03:42:01 AM »
This Mexican train talk finally got to me so I googled it ....sounds great but I'm sure if once I start I'll become addicted in no time at all.... maybe one of these days...
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Steph

« Reply #644 on: May 29, 2009, 07:51:14 AM »
Am jumping the gun a little, but started our June book. Wow.. I really like this one so far.
I must say I read a book called Cane River, but that was maybe 10 years ago, so this must be a new book with an old title.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #645 on: May 29, 2009, 08:20:44 AM »
You jumped the gun???  Which book, Steph?  I just picked up my library copy of "NIght Villa" yesterday so will be reading it over the weekend.  Since we have met the author and talked to her for a long time in NYC last Sept., this is going to be a lot of fun.

Gumtree,
I googled "Mexican Train" and didn't like what they offered for a game.  I thing I prefer "hands on" Mexican train or any kind of dominoes.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

mrssherlock

« Reply #646 on: May 29, 2009, 12:42:54 PM »
Steph:  It's probably the same Cane River. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #647 on: May 30, 2009, 09:46:54 AM »
Night Villa. I have been reading and trying to stop at page 112 is going to be hard. Interesting indeed.
I googled Mexican train and ran into game versions of it, but no playing with others that I could find without a charge..Looking in the wrong places??

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #648 on: May 30, 2009, 10:19:05 AM »
Steph, Click here for the one I play.  This doesn't play with "real people" and is free.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Tomereader1

« Reply #649 on: May 30, 2009, 12:13:49 PM »
mary, how do you get the instructions for this to show?  I am familiar with Dominoes, but unsure of the rules of this game.  There is a bar that says "instructions" above where the game begins, but it is "unclickable".  So, I just start playing with no idea of what happens, except I know that I can play in the areas that say "open train". 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mrssherlock

« Reply #650 on: May 30, 2009, 12:46:24 PM »
Mary:  What a great site. I found my favorite puzzle game, Brickshooter Egypt; it doesn't have as many levels as the full version but its great for a few minutes of mindless clicking.  See the official site here:  http://www.brickshooter.com/
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #651 on: May 30, 2009, 01:31:06 PM »
Tomereader - on the opening page, where it says "Instructions", go to the bottom right of that box.  It says "Next Page".  Follow those pages, it'll give you some instructions.  It is pretty obscure, I guess.  See if that works for you.

Mrs. Sherlock - thanks for the brickshooter link.  I'll have to waste a few minutes to try that.  ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #652 on: May 31, 2009, 10:00:35 AM »
MaryZ... thanks ever so. Put it in the bookmarks to play with later. This is one of those catch up days..
Oh me, I do love Night Villa

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #653 on: June 03, 2009, 11:34:47 AM »
Sorry about not answering posts addressed to me here.  I have been on an adventure.  I drove , all alone, 500 miles to Charleston SC for my grandson's high school graduation.  I was so afraid that I would not make it but I did. I made it straight through and straight through coming back too.   I am so proud of myself.

Now to answer Judy.  No Judy I do not play mexican train with real people online.  I have to go out to our Senior Center to play with real people.  I usually do that once a week at night.  I really enjoy that.

Somebody mentioned Hand and Foot  and I love that card game.  It is really fun.  I have also played it at my Senior Center.

Happy to be back home and am trying to get rested from all that driving, not to mention the time I was with my family in SC.  The trip was fun though.

Have been playing mexican train online all morning.  Gotta get out of here and go to museum for a luncheon.

TTYL
Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Steph

« Reply #654 on: June 03, 2009, 01:09:32 PM »
Joan.. How great for you. An adventure can rev us up for months at our age.. I worry that I never do much by myself.. That may not be a good thing overall.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #655 on: June 04, 2009, 08:23:59 AM »
JoanG,
I can't believe that you made that trip all by yourself.  ;D You are much stronger than you think.  I would be laid out on the sofa for a week after that.  How was the graduation??

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #656 on: June 04, 2009, 09:11:29 AM »
Ann,  I am laid out and I don't know for how long. I think everyday that surely I will be over it today.

The graduation was worth the trip.  It was just marvelous to see this particular grandson graduate and to see his excitement and ambition as he gets ready for college.  This grandson has aspergers syndrome.  So it is just wonderful to see him achieve this.  His parents have worked with him so much throughout his life and his siblings have endured so much from him.  However we all see that it was well worth the efforts put forth by the whole family.  I really felt that the least I could do was to drive to the graduation when he said to me,"I want you there Maw Maw".  He even thanked me for coming when I left for home.  That is really something from someone with aspergers.

Joan Grimes

mrssherlock

« Reply #657 on: June 04, 2009, 09:49:10 AM »
Joan:  Like the tv commercials say, that experience would be "priceless"!  No child could achieve so much without the active support of his parents, one of whom you parented.  You done good.
Jackie

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #658 on: June 04, 2009, 10:03:01 AM »
Thanks Jackie!

I think that seeing that grandson graduate was a priceless experience to all of the family.  Indeed it was wonderful.

Joan Grimes

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #659 on: June 04, 2009, 07:56:54 PM »
JoanG,
What a beautiful tribute to that family.  I have a friend with an asbergers syndrome daughter plus a grandson being tested for same.  I have sent my friend your wonderful story.  Thanks for sharing it with all us here.  As grandmother of this boy you,too have much of which to be proud. 

Steph

« Reply #660 on: June 05, 2009, 07:58:46 AM »
Ah Joan.. You have accomplished a good deal and made a grandson feel valued.. Feel proud of yourself. I sure do.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #661 on: June 07, 2009, 10:43:08 PM »
That is wonderful about your grandson's success at high shcool.  I know you're proud of him, and are already looking forward to going to his college graduation.  We all wish him the best of everything.

And congratulations to you on your drive there.  More fun than flying, and you're the one in control.

Steph

« Reply #662 on: June 08, 2009, 07:38:22 AM »
Stupid county moves. We are getting a new library where I live. The old one was neglected by the county, develped severe mold and had to be destroyed. We had a little substitute downtown, but then the county, who seem to make weird decisision as a regular thing decided to give us a new library.. Their choice?? It is attached to the local community college. Now,, ther is no place to park.... when or if you find a spot, the library is full of the commuter students, since there is no student union here.. No chairs to sit on..computers totally taken up with the students.. Amazing.. but the students love it. Not so all of the young Moms who used o take the little ones all the time. Not any more. Ah county administrators.. They are so proud of the new building.. All for the college. So unfair. I love libraries, but wont even go any more.. Not worth the hassle.

Babi

« Reply #663 on: June 08, 2009, 08:16:08 AM »
 Sounds like one of those 'let's get two for the price of one' deals. So often the
local politicians haven't a clue as to what's going on or what's needed. They just listen to whoever is hollering the loudest.  The 'squeakiest wheel' mode of
operation.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #664 on: June 08, 2009, 10:52:52 AM »
Steph, sounds like the Law of Unintended Consequences to me - or maybe that WAS their intent.

We have a combined city/county library - not the best of ideas.  The city is in favor of more funding for the library, but only if it's matched by the county.  And the library board folks can't get anybody on the county commission to sponsor such a bill.  And the county commissioners don't show up for any meetings or meals that the library invites them to.  And NONE of the county commissioners even has a library card.  So here we are, with no additional funds for improvements or even more books, except what we get with various fund raisers.  Sighhhhhhhhhh

Gumtree

« Reply #665 on: June 08, 2009, 11:58:35 AM »
How awful for you Steph. I know that for a bookie the local library is a vital and necessary place. I'm lucky in that we have a wonderful library system (not perfect by any means but good).

My local library is great: enough parking , plenty of room inside, restful and comfortable furniture and colours and above all a good library stock - I often take a few books up to the reading area which has large windows that overlook a small park - it's just so relaxing to sit reading and occasionally glance out through the gardens.

We have a large room for the children's library which is set up for kids and where activities are held for them right through the year -The library hosts host a major competition for children who write.- The Tim Winton Awards and Tim always comes to present the winners with their prizes. There is computer  access for those who need it, they hold author's nights, discussion groups, small local history displays and a regular sessions for aged and  disadvantaged folk - and over the years I have given several talks to these groups.

The library is connected with every other library in the state and through the State Library and Information Service to every other library in Australia. This means that if our local library doesn't have a title - they get it from somewhere and usually fairly quickly.

All this stems from the foresight of the first State Librarian appointed here who recognised the difficulties associated with being the most isolated capital city in the world and saw that being able to obtain literature (all kinds) would be essential for the intellectual growth of the population. He was right, his plan worked and still does.

Sorry to go on but the subject is dear to my heart as you would have guessed.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Steph

« Reply #666 on: June 09, 2009, 07:41:45 AM »
Libraries do depend in Florida on either the city or county. When in Winter Park, we had an outstanding library.. funded entirely by the city.. at the beach, the county there loved libraries and used them to always have community rooms etc. They also dealt with the AARP tax volunteeer programs which was a huge help. However Lake county where we now live, only likes developers and people in business. No senior programs at all.. and the old substitute library was way too small, but very welcoming. It is only this new monstrosity that is awful indeed.

Babi

« Reply #667 on: June 09, 2009, 08:25:06 AM »
MARYZ, maybe you and the 'friends of the library' should get very active come next election time.  8)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #668 on: June 09, 2009, 01:48:10 PM »
Have those of you who have a connection to people w/ Aspergers read "Song of the Gorilla Nation?" It's a wonderful autobio by a woman who has A.S. It is a fascinating story of a teen-ager who just couldn't make it in a classroom and spent many, many days watching the gorillas at a local zoo, while she was living on the streets.  Watching them taught her how to interact w/ others. The keeper saw her there over and over again and offered her a job.................there's a lot in between, but she is now a PhD and teaches at a college in California. Even if you do not have  a connection w/ someone who has A.S., it's a wonderful story and well-written......................jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #669 on: June 09, 2009, 07:03:34 PM »
Babi, we all try at election time - but these folks are SO entrenched in their districts.  And we each surely try with each of our representatives.

joyous

« Reply #670 on: June 09, 2009, 10:39:10 PM »

Steph: Was it you who mentioned reading the David Fulmer book?  He has a new one just
out 1/09 and I got it today at the library.  Haven't started it yet.  It is in my TBR stack.
The title is Lost River.
JOY

Steph

« Reply #671 on: June 10, 2009, 07:43:18 AM »
Joy,, Yes, I like him very much. Fulmer writes about New Orleans at the turn of the century. His detective is fictional, but some of his characters are real people. The mix is fascinating. He also mixes in the music of New Orleans. A joy to read.. Not prissy however. He calls a spade a spade in more ways than one.

Babi

« Reply #672 on: June 10, 2009, 08:41:56 AM »
  MARYZ, I totally understand.  Before moving here, I lived in a town that
for decades was the political battleground between two men.  The office of
mayor alternated between the two; no one else had a chance.  The result was
that the city government was always more interested and involved in the
political feud than the needs of the citizenry.  I moved one town away and
the difference was remarkable!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #673 on: June 10, 2009, 11:55:08 AM »
Mabel,
Thanks for the heads up about the book and the AS girl.  I will pass on your info to my friend whose daughter as it.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #674 on: June 10, 2009, 12:00:09 PM »
Just a shame what the government can do.  Makes you wonder what your local government will do if they get any of the "stimulus" or "bail out" money, doesn't it???
Reminds me of the pastors who put the congregations in debt while building a wonderful church for themselves.  And it does happen!  Lots of politics there also.

mrssherlock

« Reply #675 on: June 10, 2009, 03:56:08 PM »
This is a plug for summer reading, about a small town, Lumby, and its character/s.  Lumby Lines (Gail Fraser) is the name of the book and of the weekly newspaper.  The Sheriff's Report is regularly included. Here are some samples:

3:18 am  Deer vs car, Saturn totaled as was deer. . .

7:05 am John Morris reported three medium-sized dogs were trying to down a moose calf.  He shot at them and they ran off.

8:19 am Reverend Olson reported one bullet hole in the bathroom window at Holy Episcopal.

This is a fun book, sometimes I laughed out loud.  A couple decides to re-settle in Lumby.  They are not quite prepared for the town and its effect on them.  How many times has the idea of opening a B&B popped up?  This story and its sequels is sort of a funny Jan Karon type book, also think The Egg and I,

Jackie

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #676 on: June 10, 2009, 04:03:18 PM »
Jasckie,

Sounds really good .  I am going to look for it.

Joan Grimes

mrssherlock

« Reply #677 on: June 10, 2009, 04:11:37 PM »
Another read I am enjoying is The Mountains of Saint Francis by Walter Alvarez.  I spent most of my life in the SF Bay Area and learned to love, almost, earthquakes.  The earth has become a living being to me, with its twitches and rumbles, worthy of respect.  I moved to Oregon, the Willamette Valley, where volcanoes gaze down on us, profoundly beautiful but extremely dangerous.  I've been to Mt St Helens and peered into the mighty scar where it blew its top.  Around me everywhere are the remnants of volcanic eruptions dating back thousands and thousands of years.  My daughter is an amateur geologist and I have learned much from her about the science.  Alvarez' book tells about his life as a young geologist, studying the history of Italy in its rocks and valleys, its rivers and volcanoes.  He has led me gently into the development of this science by men who looked around them and questioned what they saw.  Rome, Siena, Gubbio, Via Cassia, this is the land that birthed a science, geology,  and revealed the evolution of the living earth long before Darwin's studies on the volcanic islands of the Galapagos. 

http://www.amazon.com/Mountains-Saint-Francis-Discovering-Geologic/dp/039306185X
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #678 on: June 11, 2009, 08:13:24 AM »
The Gail  Fraser sounds fun.. Will look for it. Need a laugh or two.
We got maybe 3/4 up Mt. St. Helens and the fog closed in in early May.. So we turned back. It is a beautiful drive though. We did get to see the lava in Hawaii many years ago and walk on the fields.. warm to your feet. Best place to observe it was from a boat however.

Babi

« Reply #679 on: June 12, 2009, 08:39:11 AM »
"Lumby Lines" does sound like fun. Unfortunately, and surprisingly, a quick check of my library indicates they have no Gail Frasers.  ?? I could swear I had seen some there.  I'll check again when I go in this morning.

Speaking of government 2-for-1 projects, my small town did something that I think was really smart.  Our newest government building is a combo theatre/courts building.  One bi-i-i-g room is a courtroom on weekdays, but is
available as a theatre evenings and weekends.  I think that's rather neat.