Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #1  (Read 162625 times)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers
« Reply #680 on: June 12, 2009, 12:04:36 PM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

Oh, I like that idea, Babi.  When we lived in Atlanta, the Jewish temple shared their building with a Baptist congregation.  A Jewish service on Saturday and a Baptist service on Sunday.  They also worked out the use of the building thruout the week.  I thought this was an excellent idea.
I really like the idea of that courtroom being used for a theatre.  Are there live plays put on??  They need to do all musicals and comedies so that the air in that room gets some positive energy.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

mrssherlock

« Reply #681 on: June 12, 2009, 02:50:26 PM »
Not quite the same idea but close.  Near where I lived in San Jose a Catholic church and a Jewish temple shared a parking lot, buildings located at opposite ends.  It made a great place to take my daughter for her driving practice before she was skilled enough for regular traffic.   
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

CallieOK

« Reply #682 on: June 12, 2009, 05:25:11 PM »
Just brought "Lumby Lines" home from the library.  The whole series is there so I anticipate reading them in sequence.

I'm fourth in line for "The Help" and 40th for David Baldacci's "First Family".

Babi

« Reply #683 on: June 12, 2009, 05:56:43 PM »
 I'm afraid I get no personal benefit from the theatre, ANNIE, whether musicals or otherwise. Since I've lost the last of my hearing, my entertainment is confined to closed captioned TV and movies.  That works fine for me, tho' I do
admit to a bit of regret when I hear of a fabulous new singer that I'll never hear.
Still, as long as I have my mind and my eyes, I'll be content enough. I can still
read..and think!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #684 on: June 14, 2009, 06:30:09 PM »
Mrssherlock, I remember The Egg and I. What a riot! It was a long time ago, but I still remember her neighbor who "specialized" in boiling dinner. If I remember correctly, she (the neighbor)made prodigious amounts of macaroni. Lumby Lines is on my TBR list. After finishing these Wallander books from the PBS Mystery discussion I could use a little fun.

mrssherlock

« Reply #685 on: June 15, 2009, 12:47:15 PM »
Antimy little caveat bout the Lumbly stories, Fraser has little concept of geography; she places Lumby in eastern Washington,  12 hours from Seattle!
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

CallieOK

« Reply #686 on: June 15, 2009, 04:55:25 PM »
Jackie, that's similar to the trip the main character in James Michener's "Centennial" makes in the last chapter. 
He leaves the fictional town of Centennial, located east of Ft. Collins/Greeley, after an early breakfast, goes through the mountains to Breckinridge, down to Alamosa and is in Durango for a late lunch.   I don't think so!!!!!!!

Steph

« Reply #687 on: June 16, 2009, 08:05:44 AM »

what a neat idea.. Courtroom and theater. Never saw one, but it sure sounds interesting.
Finished Bleeding Kansas. I love Sara Paretsky, but that book was way past weird. Never really connected with any character. But I still love VI
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #688 on: June 22, 2009, 10:59:11 AM »
BOY WHERE IS EVERYBODY.??

i TELL YOU you need to be 55 not 75 to move into a senior living apartment. You are supposed to downsize and instead we brought eveything and are trying to stuff it in.

I have been reading Patterson and just finished The Marriage Game by Fern Michaels.

I have been trying to read Henning Mankell's  Sidetracked, am having a very hard time with it, just can't seem to get into the story.

What are you all doing and reading.

I keep trying to remember to put that Lumby into my Kindle and see what comes up.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #689 on: June 22, 2009, 03:10:53 PM »
JUDY: I had the same experience. Especially books! I brought only a fraction of my books, but still most of them are in storage.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #690 on: June 22, 2009, 06:03:46 PM »
Joan one of the plus'es about moving here, they came up to the house and said they would buy new shelves and accomadated my library. I was very happy and they did just that.
All my books are on the second floor and I am on the third.

Although I have 3 book cases here that are full hehe

Steph

« Reply #691 on: June 22, 2009, 08:08:41 PM »
I do envy both of you. I have a husband who wont even look at retired communities. Darn.
Been reading mysteries since we are on the road in the rv and it is sometimes hard to read until just before bed.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #692 on: June 22, 2009, 08:49:54 PM »
I finally finished "Sidetracked" and didn't really like it.  The second one, "One Step Behind" was better as a book.  I did not like the Masterpiece Mystery's take on that book.   Ralph has read all three and he says that 2 & 3 were the best.

We watched "Poirot" last night and as always enjoyed this sharp little detective.  I see that they will present another "Poirot" on this Sunday and then the Agatha Christie mysteries begin.  I am looking forward to them.

I am reading "Song Yet Sung" by James McBride for my F2F group for July.  Its really good and so different.  Really keeps up ones interest.  McBride wrote "The Color Of Water" which was a bio and excellent if you haven't read it yet.  Do so!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

CallieOK

« Reply #693 on: June 22, 2009, 10:32:23 PM »
I took "Home to Harmony" along when family went out of town to a relative's funeral - and finished it by the time we got home.  Loved the story!!!!  I was riding in the back seat and my son kept peering at me in the rear view mirror because I was chuckling out loud as I read.

I may find it hard to go back to "Lumby Lines" because I think it's disjointed and hard to sort out.

I had said I was way down the reserve list for "The Help" and "First Family" - but they were both ready for me to pick up last Friday.  I've just started "The Help".

Babi

« Reply #694 on: June 23, 2009, 08:39:03 AM »
JUDY, I had a similar problem with David Fulmer's "Chasing the Devil's Tail".
The background re. New Orleans' 'Storyville' district was interesting, but the
story itself was rather slow and dull. I did learn the origin of the word 'jazz',
but I didn't finish the book. Decided I had better things to do.

I think you meant the Miss Marple mysteries begin, ANNIE. Poirot is definitely
a Christie character. If you like a book that is different, I can recommend
"The Book Thief", by Markus Zusak.

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #695 on: June 23, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Thanks Babi

I am glad to see someone else had trouble with Sidetracked. I thought it was very hard going.
I don't like to work at reading a book.

I am now reading a book by Jordan Dane.  Evil without a face and so far its a keeper. Starts out in Anchorage.

Steph

« Reply #696 on: June 23, 2009, 06:05:41 PM »
I love al of David Fulmers books, but you are right.. The history is the fascinating part. The mysteries are not all that great. There are a few that are nice.. I like the attitude of the people.. I am sure quite true for the time and place.
I am finally on the new Elizabeth George. Thank heaven, it is about Linley. Could not finish the one on the killers.. Simply did not care for any of the characters..

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #697 on: June 24, 2009, 09:54:04 AM »
Hi Judy,
Are the boxes all unpacked??? ::)  Hope Don is feeling better and enjoying the new place as much as you seem to be.
Steph,
Glad to hear that I am not the only one who enjoys Elizabeth George books.  Haven't read this new one with Lynley or  the one about the killers???  What are the titles?

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #698 on: June 24, 2009, 01:35:36 PM »
Right Ann the boxes are all unpacked, actually we moved like gypsies throw something in the car and take it down the hill. UGGGGGGHHHHHHH. They say moving a short distance is hardest of all and I believe it. Don is getting worse by the day. Dr and I both said he couldn't go on the trip he's going on tommorow but he's going.

What a price to pay for me tho  12 days by myself in this afule place hehehe

Steph

« Reply #699 on: June 24, 2009, 03:06:17 PM »
The new to paper Elizabeth George is "Careless in Red". It is about Linley recovering. Interesting thus far.
What Came Before he Shot her is the story of the killer and I hated it. Finished maybe 1/3.. One of those.. ah, the poor person, he had no advantages and I hate stuff like that.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #700 on: June 24, 2009, 05:00:12 PM »
Oh, Judy,
12 whole days??? Whoa, I am envious of your vacation all by yourself!! hehehehe!

Steph,
OH, I don't like those killer mysteries either.  But I do like the Lynley stories a bunch.  

I must tell you all that I am enjoying an audio tape of a Dorothy L. Sayer's book  "Thrones, Dominations"  with Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane and I am loving it.  I wish they would do these on TV again.  The reader is the actor who played Wimsey on those old PBS-BBC shows, Ian Carmichael. This is a new book/story and is actually written by Dorothy L. Sayers & Jill Paton Walsh.  On the back of the book/tape holder, it says that 
 "Dorothy L. Sayers was one the first women to graduate from Oxford University and is deemed one of the greatest mystery writers by the LA Times.   And, Jill Paton Walsh was entrusted by the Sayers' estate to complete the manuscript left titled but unfinished by Sayers at the time of her death.  She is the author of Knowledge of Angels, A Booker Prize finalist as well as two literate mysteries for adults and numerous award winning childrens books. "

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #701 on: June 24, 2009, 06:43:14 PM »
I read  What Came Before he Shot her .  I will not say I enjoyed the book because no one could have enjoyed reading it but the writing was great and I could not put it down until I finished it.  I was glad that I read it.  I have Careless in Red in the large print edition and the book is so big and heavy that I cannot hold it to read it.  I payed so much for that book right after it came out but I am thinking about buying the kindle edition because I really like Elizabeth George's writing.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

mrssherlock

« Reply #702 on: June 24, 2009, 07:28:44 PM »
Kindle is becoming as ubiquitous as Ipod.  While listening to an interview with the coach of the winning LA Lakers, I heard how he assigns reading lists to his players for those long road trips, long flights.  When questioned about his own reading habits, he explained that he had several books waiting on his Kindle which is so convenient to take while traveling.
Jackie

Aberlaine

« Reply #703 on: June 25, 2009, 07:48:55 AM »
I'm finishing Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult for my f2f book group meeting this Friday.  I enjoyed it, but not as much as her later books.

I'm also reading The Alienist by Caleb Carr and have enjoyed it enough to be willing to read another mystery series starring Sherlock Holmes: The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King. (I'm not usually a mystery fan.)

For next month our f2f book group will be reading Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky.

Nancy

Babi

« Reply #704 on: June 25, 2009, 09:05:08 AM »
NANCY,  I have very much enjoyed the Laurie King series about Holmes and
his new 'assistant',  Mary.  Mary, of course, is a very sharp young lady. Holmes
would not have been interested in her, otherwise.

joyous

« Reply #705 on: June 25, 2009, 09:48:38 AM »

Re: the David Fulmer books-----
I LOVE the setting for his books --New Orleans---as I live in Baton Rouge, BUT---his newest, LOST RIVER, was just too graphic for me.  I returned it to the library after reading about 25-30
pages.
JOY

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #706 on: June 25, 2009, 02:39:45 PM »
HI, JOYOUS. GREAT NAME!! I agree with you about graphic books. But are his others good? I don't know him?

WEho is the author who writes about a freed slave in New Orleans in the 1800s? Does anyone know?

GOOD TO SEE YOU, ABERLAINE!. I loved "The Alienist". I think you'll like the "Beekeeper's Daughter" too. It's good to see Holmes getting as good as he gives.

Steph

« Reply #707 on: June 25, 2009, 04:35:09 PM »
Think maybe the author is Barbara Hambly for the freed slave.. I love Fulmer.. He is so evocative of the era he writes about. I love the mix of real and fictional characters. I have only read two of his books, because he is hard to find in used..
The grief in Careless in Red is done so well. Elizabeth George is truly a good writer.

MarjV

« Reply #708 on: June 26, 2009, 12:17:36 PM »
I'm not a regular poster but I need to tell you - I'm reading a most amazing and witty novel and want to recommend you at least look at the Amazon reviews.   Never read anything like it.

When to Go into the Water: A Novel (Paperback)
by Lawrence Sutin

When to Go into the Water

Steph

« Reply #709 on: June 26, 2009, 02:59:04 PM »
Is it funny or sad or true or just what..

Babi

« Reply #710 on: June 27, 2009, 08:42:41 AM »
 The reviewer definitely has a way with words, too, Marj.  'Witty' usually
appeals to me, depending on one's idea of witty, of course.    ;)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #711 on: June 27, 2009, 11:07:24 AM »
Having read the reviews, I reserved that title at my library.  They only have two copies but I am #1 on their list so will have it by next week.  The reviews were tantalizing and witty!!  hehehe!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #712 on: June 27, 2009, 03:25:32 PM »
Hi, MargV. I'll see if my library has it.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #713 on: June 30, 2009, 11:29:07 AM »
My library doesn't have it Marj, but I'm soon headed to Seattle and they've got great bookstores, used and otherwise there.  Will look.

JudyL, did Don get off on his trip?  I sent you an email.  HOpe the new address is working for  you.

I'm on a Christie kick because of the PSB summer programming.  Finished Pocketful of Rye and am now into Cat Among the Pigeons.  Wish I had a Kindle to take to Seattle.  But I am taking Fieldwork by Mischa Berlinski, that my Seattle daughter gave me for Christmas. Set in Thailand. Includes prison and suicide.  Not sure it's my cup of tea, but will give it a try.  It's a novel, but apparently based on Berlinski experiences.

Steph

« Reply #714 on: June 30, 2009, 02:06:07 PM »
Have fun in Seattle, Pedlin. I adored it.. But then I couldnt live there, I could not surive without sunshine. Spent 10 years in New England and spent every single winter seriously depressed.Finally learned I havfe some sort of stupid thing that makes my body crave sunshine..

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #715 on: June 30, 2009, 02:18:43 PM »
You certianly could not live here if you don't like the rain.We have it in buckets.
Very nice now Sun every day and I think its supposed to be nice through the 4th of July week-end. 
I am reading a book by Patricia Cornwell called Cause of Death and its an enjoyable read.
Its about deep sea diving.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #716 on: June 30, 2009, 02:25:25 PM »
Steph, John has that, too (Seasonal Affective Disorder SAD).  He's gotten a very bright flat-panel light that sits on a table.  He sits in front of that in the wintertime while he reads the morning paper.  Did you ever see the episode of Northern Exposure where the guy has SAD, and he becomes addicted to the bright-light-visor that is prescribed for him.   :D
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #717 on: June 30, 2009, 02:26:15 PM »
Hey, Judy,
Hugs to you and hope your 4th is a great celebration, with fire works and all!!

Frybabe

« Reply #718 on: June 30, 2009, 03:29:41 PM »
Steph, my boyfriend discovered his SAD accidentally. He likes the shore but burns easily so one year he decided to try tanning ahead of the season in an attempt to keep from getting sunburn. He began to notice that his depression lifted when using the tanning booth. However, since I haven't looked into the wave lengths of tanning booth lights as opposed to lights specially for treating SAD so I can't comment on the true effectiveness of the tanning booth.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #719 on: June 30, 2009, 08:16:55 PM »
I think using the lights are cheaper, Frybabe.    I have one near my computer and near where we do jigsaws in the winter.  It comes in handy and while preventing one from getting SAD, its light lights the puzzle so well that we can work it at night.  Regular lighting doesn't allow that! Tee hee!