Author Topic: Story of Civilization ~ Will & Ariel Durant  (Read 350222 times)

Brian

• Brian's Den
Re: Story of Civilization ~ Will & Ariel Durant
« Reply #200 on: April 05, 2009, 08:19:19 PM »

"I want to know what were the steps by which
man passed from barbarism to civilization (Voltaire)"

What are our origins?
Where are we now?
Where are we headed?
Share your thoughts with us!
   Volume Five (The Renaissance)

"Four elements constitute Civilization -- economic provision, political organization, moral traditions, and the pursuit of knowledge and the arts. "

"I shall proceed as rapidly as time and circumstances will permit, hoping that a few of my contemporaries will care to grow old with me while learning. "

"These volumes may help some of our children to understand and enjoy the infinite riches of their inheritance."

"Civilization begins where chaos and insecurity ends."

SAVONAROLA AND THE REPUBLIC

The Prophet
The Statesman
Literature: The Martyr
Architecture and Sculpture: The Republic and the Medici
Art Under the Revolution

In this volume the  term "Renaissance" refers only to Italy. Will Durant studies the growth of industry, the rise of banking families like the Medici, the conflicts of labor and capital and considers the reasons why Italy was the first nation, and Florence the first city in Italy, to feel the awakening of the modern mind. He follows the cultural flowering from Florence to Milan, Mantua, Ferrata, Verona and Venice, Padua and Parma, Bologna, Rimini, Urbino, Perugia, Siena, and Naples. 

In each city of Italy we witness a colorful pageant of princes, queeens, dukes, or doges -- of poets, historians, scientists, and philosophers -- of painters, sculptors, engravers, illuminators, potters, and architects -- of industry, education, manners, morals, crime, and dress -- of women and love and marriage -- of epidemics, famines, earthquakes, and death.

Dr. Durant draws vivid vignettes -- of Petrarch, Boccaccio, Cosimo de' Medici, Fra Angelico, Donatello, Beatrice and Isabella d'Este, Leonardo da Vinci, Piero della Francesca, Signorelli, Perugino, Giovanni Bellini, Giorgione, Aldus Manutius, Correggio, Alexander VI, Caesar and Lucrezia Borgia, Julius II, Leo X, Raphael, and Michelangelo.

The Renaissance, by recalling classic culture, ended the thousand year rule of the Oriental mind in Europe.

This volume, then, is about YOU. Join our group daily and listen to what Durant and the rest of us are saying. Better yet, share with us your opinions.

Discussion Leader: robby

Ambrogio Calepini gave his name to the early English dictionaries (Calepins). and
predated by a couple of hundred years the later lexicographers extolled here by the
Oxford Dictionary -

http://www.askoxford.com/worldofwords/oed/legendarylexicographers/?view=uk

Wikipedia has a fine picture of a bust of this learned Augustinian monk 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrogio_Calepino

Brian.

Justin

« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2009, 10:11:14 PM »
Men like Pompanazzi, who questioned the existence of the soul as well as it's immortality,were active in the University of Bologna during this period. They were tolerated as was Abelard and the Scholastic skeptics a few centuries earlier.

Justin

« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2009, 08:09:28 PM »
Where have all the Renaissance corespondents gone? We appear to be stagnant.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2009, 04:09:17 PM »
I'm here, looking, but don't have much to say.

Gumtree

« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2009, 10:58:16 AM »
I've been wondering the same - I don't post much but I am here....Is Robby OK ?
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Justin

« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2009, 12:36:28 AM »
Robby is OK.

Gumtree

« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2009, 10:37:24 AM »
- thanks Justin -that's good news and  I'm glad to hear it.

ALF43

« Reply #207 on: May 01, 2009, 07:38:32 AM »
I got lost in the shuffle, were exactly are we at here, Robby?  Justin?
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Justin

« Reply #208 on: May 01, 2009, 09:29:29 PM »
Andy: we were observing the workings of the University of Bologna in the Renaissance.

ALF43

« Reply #209 on: May 01, 2009, 09:40:15 PM »
Thanks Justin.  I will check it out again.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #210 on: May 07, 2009, 12:23:09 AM »
Where have all the Renaissance corespondents gone? We appear to be stagnant.

Well, what goes on ?

Brian.

ALF43

« Reply #211 on: May 07, 2009, 09:12:26 AM »
Brian-
I fear that we need to be "goosed" by one of Robby's resourceful posts to get us into high gear. :D

Justin

« Reply #212 on: May 08, 2009, 07:56:31 PM »
Robby phoned this morning. He waited till 11am Virginia time and then called to awaken me at 8am from a sound sleep. I rumbled and grumbled in response but his message is " When I returned from a week long psycho convention I found my computer out of sorts." As soon as he can get it in operation again so soon will he join us. The gooser will be back. Patience is needed. He sounded healthy and full of his usual vim and vigor. I suppose he had been up since 5am when he rises to jog in the Shenandoah.

ALF43

« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2009, 02:01:04 PM »
Thank youJustin for the report o Robby. I've been wrried about him.  We shall be patient and await our mentor.

Persian

« Reply #214 on: May 10, 2009, 09:04:14 AM »
It could be worse - Robby could be jogging in the Himalayas, giving the villagers what-for, instead of nearby Shenandoah!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #215 on: May 14, 2009, 08:56:52 AM »
When he returns, tell him to click on this link to see what they are saying about him over in the S&F's site.  Very nice stuff, Robby! ::)  Do go and read and maybe leave a message.

http://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?topic=76.new#new
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Robby

« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2009, 07:33:52 AM »
After coming back from my psychological conference, I found that my computer had picked up its equivalent of the swine flu.  It has been having terrible problems including email problems and whatever and I have been cut off from all you people.  It's not a pleasant feeling let me tell you.

I am doing well physically, so to speak.  A few months ago it turns out that I have a herniated muscle in my right arm and therefore can not lift it as high as my right arm.  But I have no pain at all and it does not affect my typing or my writing when I am with my patients.  I still go to the office and see patients five days a week.  Two weeks ago I banged my right hand and dislocated my middle finger but they put that back and it is now slowly healing.  Again, no pain.  I still walk most mornings around the hospital grounds four times which equals two miles.  The hospital employees talk about that "that doctor" who walks around the hospital grounds.  They talk but don't do it themselves.  They will be sorry when they get to be my age.

This weekend I will open up Durant's Renaissance volume and we will continue.  But we do need more participants as we did in Senior Net.  I will make it a point to put out info in Book Bytes but all of you can help spread the word.

The Gooser

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2009, 08:36:12 AM »
Hi Robby,
So nice to see you back in the land of the living!  We miss you when you aren't around. Are you recommending that we all start walking again???  Boy, do I need to do that.

Ralph is exercising everyday(arms, legs, hands) plus walking on his treadmill.  He's already in better shape than me and he's the one who had the heart pump implanted. yesterday, he replaced a freeze proof faucet which was leaking.  Guess that means I can get out the old job jar.   ;D

Did you say "Renaissance"?  Our middle school 7th grade grandson is studying the Renaissance this quarter and really enjoying it.  You just never know what will grab your interest.  I may be looking in later.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ALF43

« Reply #218 on: May 27, 2009, 08:42:24 AM »
Well such good news this morning.  I am delighted that all is well with you robby, we have worried about your absence.  I agree we MUST encourage our memembership in some manner.  Do you think we could brainstorm here?

Ann, it is wonderful to read of Ralph's progress.  Tell him to keep up the good work.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #219 on: May 27, 2009, 08:49:06 AM »
Yes, we need to brainstorm.  In the stacks!

Persian

« Reply #220 on: May 28, 2009, 10:58:53 PM »

ROBBY - I, too, am glad to see that you have returned from your adventures.  I wondered if all of the participants in this discussion from the former SN site were contacted and invited to join the current group here?

During the past month, I've been active in the discussion about Greg Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea.  That will close at the end of the month, so I've been scouting other sites.
I recall when this discussion opened.  It's been lively and enjoyable ever since!

Mahlia

Gumtree

« Reply #221 on: May 29, 2009, 04:01:47 AM »
Robby So good to see you in good health and spirits and back with us again.

I'm looking forward to the continuation of this marathon undertaking though as ever I will be more of a 'lurker' than a poster. Nonetheless, I always appreciate the contributions and the way everyone here shares their knowledge so generously.

thank you all...

Robby

« Reply #222 on: May 31, 2009, 07:27:40 AM »
I believe that my computer is healthy again so let us move on to a fascinating era of the Renaissance.

Robby

Robby

« Reply #223 on: May 31, 2009, 07:31:42 AM »
The Kingdom of Naples -- 1378-1534

Robby

« Reply #224 on: May 31, 2009, 07:33:55 AM »
Alphonso the Magnanimous

Robby

« Reply #225 on: May 31, 2009, 07:47:27 AM »
Southeast of the Marches and the Papal States all mainland Italy constituted the Kingdom of Naples.  On the Adriatic side it included the ports of Pescara, Bari, Brindisi and Otranno.  A bit inland the city of Foggia, once the lively capital of the wondrous Frederick II.  On the instep the ancient port of Taranto.  On the toe another Reggio.  And on the southwestern coast one scenic splendor after another, rising to the glory of Salerno, Amalfi, Sorrento, and Capri, and culminating in busy, noisy;, loquacious, passionate, joyous Naples.

It was the only great city in the realm.  Outside of it and the ports the country was agricultureral, medieval, feudal.  The land was tilled by serfs or slaves or by peasants free to starve or to work for bread and a shirt, under barons whose ruthless rule of their great estates defied the authority of the throne.  The king had little revenue from those lands but had to finance his government and court from the returns of his own feudal domains, or by exploiting to the point oi diminishing returns the rotal control of commerce.

This is the land of my ancestors.

I regret that I don't know in this new Senior Learn how to bring up links.

Robby

ALF43

« Reply #226 on: May 31, 2009, 09:15:34 AM »
Robby- email coming to you with lesson on linking URLs.  do you remember when Jane taught us how to do these links for that other site? :D

Robby

« Reply #227 on: May 31, 2009, 12:07:22 PM »
Thank you for your "refresher" email, Andy.  Yes, I remember Jane teaching us all that and there was a time when I could zip through that "link equation" in no time flat without thinking.  But then time passed and, as the old expression goes, "lack of practice makes less than perfect."  When I get a chance, I'll get back to posting links and it will be like old times.  Not to say that I won't appreciate links posted by others here.

Now our goal is to bring back all the "old time" participants and to find new ones.

Robby

Robby

« Reply #228 on: June 01, 2009, 05:46:03 PM »

Emily

« Reply #229 on: June 01, 2009, 07:00:05 PM »
Robby, so nice to have you back. The link you gave did not work.

Here is one map from 1494 of Naples and the territory it controlled.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_Italy_(1494)-ca.svg

Persian

« Reply #230 on: June 01, 2009, 07:56:23 PM »
ROBBY - RE your comment about finding new participants:  I mentioned this new site in one of my recent lectures and several in the audience were interested enough to write down the access address.  Hopefully, they will be checking in.

Mahlia

Emily

« Reply #231 on: June 01, 2009, 08:59:55 PM »
Outside of it (Naples) and the ports the country was agricultureral, medieval, feudal.  The land was tilled by serfs or slaves or by peasants free to starve or to work for bread and a shirt, under barons whose ruthless rule of their great estates defied the authority of the throne

As Durant tells us, the Renaissance did not touch everyone.  Nor did the all the elements that are the foundation of civilization. When one must scramble daily for bread with the threat of starvation hanging over their head,  the other elements don't have much of a chance to become part of the equation.

People were born and died on these great estates, without ever knowing a renaissance was happening within their area. Regardless, the Renaissance was the bridge for all that came afterward.

Emily

Robby

« Reply #232 on: June 02, 2009, 06:53:10 AM »
You make an important point, Emily.  The story of the past often seems to be that of kings, queens, popes, emperors, artists, academics, adventurers, etc. etc.  But we all know subconsciously as we read about these exploits that for every one of them there were thousands, if not millions, of people who were born, who struggled, and then died.

Is this not also true today as we make "history?"

Robby

Emily

« Reply #233 on: June 02, 2009, 11:15:23 PM »
With government, banks, doctors, phone companies, computers etc. demanding so much information from the citizens, an unknown person can be identified and within hours their life history put on television. We are tracked from the cradle to the grave.

Personal history is different from 'data history'. I have video taped my mother for her descendants to have a record of her life. She is 96, and has lived almost a century, but is still very active.

It is becoming a lot harder to live and die anonymously.

Emily

Robby

« Reply #234 on: June 06, 2009, 03:43:05 PM »
The house of Anjou had begun a rapid decline with the escapades of Queen Joanna I, which ended when Charles of Durazzo had her strangled with a silken cord.

Joanna II, though forty at her accession was as excitable as the first.  She married thrice, banished her second husband, and had the third murdered.  Faced by revolt, she called to her aid King Alfonso of Aragon and Sicily and adopted him as her son and heir .  Rightly suspecting him of planning to replace her, she discowned him and left her state to Rene of Anjou at her death.

A long war of succession followed in which Alfonso, having sampled Naples, fought to seize its throne.  While he was besieging Gaeta he was captured by the Genoese and was brought before Filippo Maria Visconti at Milan.  With consummate logic surely never learned in schools, he persuaded the Duke that French power reestablished in Naples, added to French power already pressing upon Milan from the north and Genoa from the west, would hold half of Italy in a vise, which the Visconti would be the first to feel.  Filippo understood, freed ihis prisoner, and bade him Godspeed to Naples.

After many battles and intrigues Alfonso won.  The rule of the house of Anjou at Naples ended, that of the house of Aragon began.  This usurpation provided the legal basis for the French invasion of Italy in 1494 which was the first act in the tragedy of Italy.

Alfonso was so pleased with his nw royal seat that he left the rule of Aragon and Sicily to his brother John II.  He was not an easy ruler.  He taxed with a hard hand, allowed financiers to squeeze the people, then squeezed them in turn, and extorted money from Jews by threatening to baptize them.

But most of his taxation fell up;on the merchant class.  Alfonso reduced the taxes levied from the poor and helped the destitute.  The Neapolitans thought him a good king.  He walked among them unarmed, unattended, and unafraid.  Having no children by his wife, he begot some on the ladies of his court.  His wife killed one of these rivals and Alfonso never admitted the Queen to his presence therafter.

He was a zealous churchgoer and listened to sermons faithfully.

What is the definition of "good?"

Robby

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #235 on: June 06, 2009, 07:37:36 PM »
Sounds like Alphonso was a "good man" or a "straight arrow" as we in the Midwest refer to our good men.  Someone who has standards and treats his fellow man fairly.
I felt that I became more aware of the common man, the worker, the merchant and the buyers of goods in "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet.  Those families who made their homes against the outside of the castle walls as they spent 100 yrs building a cathedral, made quite an impression on me.
It is also in "Sarum" by Edward Rutherford which is about the building of the Salisbury Cathedral and the remodeling of it over the years.

Robby

« Reply #236 on: June 07, 2009, 08:51:35 AM »
But he taxed with a hard hand, allowed financiers to squeeze the people, squeezed them in turn, and extorted money from Jews by threatening to baptize them.

A good man?

Gumtree

« Reply #237 on: June 07, 2009, 12:14:12 PM »
Not in my book.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #238 on: June 07, 2009, 12:22:19 PM »
Did I misread that part??? I must have!  Well, we only know what the print says, that he went about his territory unafraid and that the people liked him.  Aren't we talking about John II being the hard ruler here??:
"Alfonso was so pleased with his nw royal seat that he left the rule of Aragon and Sicily to his brother John II.  He was not an easy ruler.  He taxed with a hard hand, allowed financiers to squeeze the people, then squeezed them in turn, and extorted money from Jews by threatening to baptize them.

But most of his taxation fell up;on the merchant class."

And aren't we talking about Alphonso here??:

"Alfonso reduced the taxes levied from the poor and helped the destitute.  The Neapolitans thought him a good king.  He walked among them unarmed, unattended, and unafraid.  Having no children by his wife, he begot some on the ladies of his court.  His wife killed one of these rivals and Alfonso never admitted the Queen to his presence therafter."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #239 on: June 08, 2009, 02:59:47 PM »
ROBBY: great to have you and this discussion back. I'm always here, but sometimes lurking.

As a sociologist, to me history is always about how the ordinary folks like us lived their lives, as much as about kings and battles. Were these heavy taxes necessary to support the flourishing of art that we see at that time? If so, was it a good trade-off? For us, the inheritors of that art, clearly yes. For the people of the time, clearly no.

I'll never forget being in a small town in Italy (I've forgotten its name). Walking down narrow streets past small, worn houses ans simply dressed people toward the church of the town, which was covered from top to bottom with gold. If I lived in that town, how would I feel? Would the church uplift my spirits? Or would I feel that this was not what Christ intended?