Poll

What do you think happened to Edwin Drood?

Killed by Jasper
4 (36.4%)
Killed by Neville
0 (0%)
Killed by someone other than above
1 (9.1%)
Still alive
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Mystery of Edwin Drood ~ Dickens ~ September Book Club Online  (Read 63969 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery of Edwin Drood ~ Dickens ~ September Book Club Online
« Reply #400 on: September 30, 2009, 07:56:59 PM »
The Mystery of Edwin Drood - by Charles Dickens

Had Dickens lived to complete "The Mystery of Edwin Drood," his 15th novel would have been one of his major accomplishments, say many of his critics. The novel was scheduled to be published in twelve installments  from April 1870 to March 1871. Only six of the installments were completed before Dickens's death in 1870, which left the mystery half finished.

"The ideal mystery is one you would read if the end was missing," writes Richard Chandler, creator of Philip Marlowe. Reading and discussing an unfinished mystery is a unique experience, especially when shared with a group. Will we agree with the critics, or go mad trying to figure out what he intended for the young engaged couple introduced at the start of the book?  And what has become of young Edwin Drood? Help us track down clues as we read along ... and then we'll each propose our own ending during the last few days of the discussion.

Chapter discussion schedule
September 1-6: 1-6
September 7-13: 7-12
September 14-20: 13-18
September 21-27: 19-23

This unfinished mystery is available in several places on the Internet at no cost but you might want to purchase the book or borrow it from your library, in order to read one of the editions, such as the Penguin Classics, that has useful footnotes.

Participate in the poll, above, on the fate of Edwin Drood. Also vote in our poll on the identity of Datchery.

See the previous questions and related links.

Discussion Leaders: Deems, Marcie

This has been a great discussion. Reading the book like this really brings out all the subtle little touches that I've never noticed in Dickens before. You all as DLs and participants are without equal!!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #401 on: September 30, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
Hope you are feeling better, Maryal.  I've heard you need at least a week to recover.  Even not feeling 100%, you and Marcie made a super-team!  We are looking forward to a repeat performance.  Thank you!  Thank you!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #402 on: September 30, 2009, 08:22:01 PM »
Deems,
Thanks so much for taking the time to lead this most interesting discussion.  Despite getting ready for classes to start and then, having the flu, you have done a great job.
See ya' tomorrow in "The Last Dickens".
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Deems

« Reply #403 on: September 30, 2009, 08:22:06 PM »

Special thanks to Marcie who did all the headings and posting of illustrations, not to mention the helpful links to online editions and Librivox. 

Joan P--thanks for telling me about needing a week to recover.  I'm feeling better today--still have the cough and the body pains, but I can almost THink again which I really appreciate.

Deems

« Reply #404 on: September 30, 2009, 08:23:11 PM »

Thank you, Annie, for all your thoughtful posts.  I'll see you in The Last Dickens.  We're all up to date on opium use, no?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #405 on: September 30, 2009, 09:11:37 PM »
Thank you, Deems, for your enlightened leadership and to everyone else for all of the knowledge and insights you shared. I very much enjoyed this discussion and look forward to continuing it in The Last Dickens. I do hope you'll all be there.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #406 on: September 30, 2009, 11:05:05 PM »
That was a wonderful discussion--really complex and challenging.  I never got around to writing up my best guess ending, but that's all right, maybe it'll change after the Last Dickens.  Thank you, Deems and Marcie, for leading us so ably in sickness and in health.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #407 on: October 01, 2009, 08:00:02 AM »
Oh, Marcie, I didn't mean to forget your help with this discussion so please forgive my overlooking your participation.  I enjoyed not only your posts but the links you were able to leave for us.  This book was sort of a lead-in to "The Last Dickens".  See you there!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #408 on: October 01, 2009, 11:42:19 AM »
Annie, Deems did all the work of structuring the discussion and providing the questions. I agree that this book has been a great lead-in to The Last Dickens.   I'm glad to be able to continue to talk about this intriguing story.

Jonathan

« Reply #409 on: October 01, 2009, 12:59:46 PM »
This was hilarious. What a magnificent mystery. Left in a mind-boggling daze. Lost in a narrative maze. Bamboozled by an opium haze. Mysterys don't get any better.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #410 on: October 01, 2009, 02:11:54 PM »
You've caught the Dickens prose bug, Jonathan. Or is it Dr. Seuss?  ;)

I hope you'll join the new discussion of The Last Dickens.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #411 on: October 01, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
I'm wandering, still in my daze, over there now.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #412 on: October 01, 2009, 03:07:09 PM »
:-), JoanK

Gumtree

« Reply #413 on: October 03, 2009, 06:34:23 AM »
Sorry I wasn't able to participate in this discussion - I guess I'll never be a fan of Dickens. BUT I have enjoyed 'lurking' and have read all the posts - they are just stunning. I think every likely possibility as to Edwin's fate has been explored and then some.
Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts.

Special thanks to Marcie and Deems -again, a wonderful job keeping all the threads alive. Thank you.

Deems - Hope your flu will soon be a thing of the past. If you do Bleak House in the future you'll find me lurking in the corner.  I am a glutton for punishment.  ;D

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #414 on: October 03, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »
gumtree, I'm sorry you couldn't get into this Dickens but there may be hope for Bleak House in the future. ;-) I'll be giving it a try also.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #415 on: October 04, 2009, 08:39:24 AM »
I'll agree with Gumtree,  I read parts of Dicken's Drood, but couldn't seem to get very enthusiastic about it.

A good discussion that I enjoyed more than the book.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #416 on: October 04, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »
Yes, we had great participants here who shared wonderful insights and interesting background on various points in the book. I love SeniorLearn discussions! I always learn so much.