Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897570 times)

Steph

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #2240 on: May 03, 2011, 06:14:30 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

I generally have three, sometimes 4..Usually a mystery ( Fatal Grace), the newest J.D. Robb and a science fiction..But also now Clara and Mr. Tiffany, which I am really enjoying on my IPAD.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Frybabe

« Reply #2241 on: May 03, 2011, 08:32:48 AM »
RosemaryKaye, how does the Inspector Morse series stack up against the TV series? I really enjoyed those.

Babi

« Reply #2242 on: May 03, 2011, 09:30:09 AM »
Me, too, URSA. About the tub, I mean. Strictly showers for me.

ROSHANA, if you don't quit buying new books, you'll never get around to
reading all the ones you already have!  Think of the waste!   :(  :)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Gumtree

« Reply #2243 on: May 03, 2011, 10:09:46 AM »
Just for the record -I've just finished Mr Pettigrew and Old Filth and am currently reading  Staying On and Odyssey for the discussions. Kristin Lavransadatter, Museum of Innocence, a biog of Robert Graves, and have finally started on Robert Harris'  Imperium. As soon as I can lay hands on a copy I'll begin Clara and Mr T.
Of course none of these are mysteries...
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2244 on: May 03, 2011, 02:14:18 PM »
Frybabe - the Dexter novels are quite different from the TV series and took some getting used to - he writes in quite a strange way IMO, with a lot of rather distorted "internal dialogue" that can be hard to follow - but I enjoy reading one from time to time.  I have seen him interviewed and he seems like a really nice man - and very clever.  he is actually a graduate of Cambridge, not Oxford, and a absolute whizz at crossword puzzles, as is Morse.

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2245 on: May 03, 2011, 03:14:32 PM »
I have 3 books going at the minute: don't think I've ever been up to 5. I admit as I get older and my memory gets worse I sometimes find I have to go back and reread the last page or two to remember what was going on when I put it down.

" how does the Inspector Morse series stack up against the TV series? I really enjoyed those." The books are a little bit sexist. The actor who played Morde on TV made the scriptwriters change that, saying that his daughters would stop speaking to him if he played Morse as wriotten.

At least that's what I was told. I wish I'd known it sooner -- I missed much of the TV series, thinking I wouldn't enjoy it since I hadn't liked the books.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2246 on: May 03, 2011, 04:18:46 PM »
JoanK - that is a shame, as the TV series was brilliant - John Thaw at his finest, and Kevin Whately (?) as the long suffering sidekick.  You can get it all on DVD I think.

rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #2247 on: May 03, 2011, 09:34:51 PM »
Gum et al - My family used to make fun of me when I was young for reading so many books at once.  Now people say to me - "How can you read so many at once?" and say that it is important to finish one book at a time.  That would appear logical, but who wants to do what everyone else does anyway?  I am heartened to know that others share my habit - well, that one anyway ;)

babi - You hit the nail right on the head.  Not being around long enough to read all my books is now a  worry for me.  I actually try to measure out time (maximum) to catch up on my reading, and it never seems to work out.  Gosh!  I make books sound like tyrants.  I also like reading magazines esp "Vanity Fair", although it costs $10.95 here, I enjoy the stories very much.  For a fashion fix it is always American "Vogue", which for some strange reason is always thicker than the Australian Vogue, and thanks to the exchange rate just now, also cheaper. American Vogue is one season ahead, or is it behind?  Still it is fine escapist fare.  If I can just save up enough to buy a pair of black patent loafers from Tod's I will be happy.  I also like Cole & Haan (sp) After all when I think about how much I pay for car registration and for my cat's teeth to be scaled, both in excess of $500, I figure I should be able to buy the shoes I want.

Bit of a rant - I feel better now. :D  Thanks!
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2248 on: May 04, 2011, 02:29:36 AM »
Roshanarose - yes, when you start to make comparisons you realise how hard you are on yourself - eg yesterday I shelled out £44 for a return train ticket for my daughter (who then announced "I don't think I'll take the cello anyway" - so she could have gone on the bus and saved me £16), but stopped myself buying a writing magazine for £3.75 because it seemed extravagant!  And as for vet's bills and car tax......don't you just feel like you're on another planet when you deal with those?  the one where you just hand over your credit card and try not to think about it.

Rosemary

salan

« Reply #2249 on: May 04, 2011, 04:28:36 AM »
Uh oh,  the library just called and the latest Ladies Detective agency (Alexander McCall Smith) book is in.  It is the Big Tent Wedding Party.  So now I will have 4 books going as none of them are renewable!!
Sally

Gumtree

« Reply #2250 on: May 04, 2011, 06:50:12 AM »
Roshanarose: I haven't seen Vanity Fair for an age.  used to enjoy it very much - that and Saturday Evening Post. Must check whether my library carries it.

I had to buy a toaster today - my goodness - they do everything these days including cooking the eggs... and the decent brands have hefty prices  - no doubt the prices are to cover the LCD panels etc - all that's needed are the heating elements, a timer  and a metal casing ... give me strength.

Babi

« Reply #2251 on: May 04, 2011, 08:30:22 AM »
heating elements, a timer  and a metal casing
There are still toasters like this
around, GUM.  I know, I've got one. 
  ROSHANA and ROSEMARY,  I 'indulged' myself laying out less than $13. for a year's subscription
to "Smithsonian".  And that is the only magazine I receive now.  I spent most of my
working years at home raising the kids, so my SS income is pretty low.  Great kids, though.  ;D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Tomereader1

« Reply #2252 on: May 04, 2011, 11:24:45 AM »
My biggest "indulgence" is my subscription to "Bookmarks" magazine! But it is worth every cent!  $29.95 per year, for six issues, but with all you would like to know about "new books".  I happened on it several years ago, by accident (don't even remember where) but was immediately bowled over.  For dedicated reader like myself, I consider it a must-have.  It would be very expensive for those of you not in the U.S.  I believe you can read some of the things at www.bookmarksmagazine.com

Oh, I guess I have to admit I have another  indulgence...I go to the Metropolitan Opera in HD performances at the movie theatre during their season.  Last one this year is May 14th...Die Walkure.  I can't afford tickets to our local opera company since they built a new B$ opera/symphony complex. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Gumtree

« Reply #2253 on: May 04, 2011, 12:40:25 PM »
Tomereader - Die Walkure doesn't screen here until June. We go to as many of those HD performances as we can. It all depends on health issues - his and mine - whether we can go but we've managed quite a few this season. We missed Comte d'ory as I wasn't well and we gave Nixon in China a wide berth.

The only magazines I subscribe to are art journals - anything else I want I get from the library these days. 

Tomereader1

« Reply #2254 on: May 04, 2011, 04:06:50 PM »
Gumtree, I also gave Nixon in China a wide berth, but you missed a real gem in Le Comte Ory.  It was a laugh-a-minute, with wonderful, awesome singing!  I've never seen an opera that made me laugh, :D but this was a treasure.  Diana Damrau has an exquisite voice (she can surely hit those F's over high C.  Joyce DiDonato also has a great voice. Juan Diego Florez is simply yummy to listen to and look at! He has an amazing comic flair!  And this was ...oh, heck, do they run the "encore presentations" there where you are?  If so, please go see/hear it.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2255 on: May 04, 2011, 07:20:34 PM »
BABI: "I spent most of my
working years at home raising the kids, so my SS income is pretty low.  Great kids, though."

That's me!! Luckily, books are my only indulgence: most of my clothes are at least 10 years old, I have plenty of furniture, don't drive a car (and keep them 15 yeaars anyway) or need to go on fancy vacations, when I'm 15 minutes from  beautiful beaches.

But I can't resist books! (and chocolate, but luckily chocolate is cheap).

Steph

« Reply #2256 on: May 05, 2011, 06:11:24 AM »
Our library does the operas,,They get them each month and show them on a special day with refreshments and a short discussion before hand. It is the same time as the Friends of the Library, so I never get to see it.

Babi

« Reply #2257 on: May 05, 2011, 08:20:11 AM »
I can't walk on sandy beaches, JOANK, but I'm 10 minutes away from the senior
center and a few mornings of bridge. I have a car, very old and beat up, and
like you I wear clothes until they wear out. Chocolate, of course, is a staple,not an indulgence.  8)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2258 on: May 05, 2011, 11:29:36 AM »
Yes, this is definitely me too!

My staples are: chocolate (daily); white wine (sometimes); coffee; books - mostly from the library or charity shops; - and lately, as we have no TV at the moment, jigsaws, also from charity shops - I find them very relaxing, and at the moment we are doing one that is a mediaeval map of Britain, fascinating.

Rosemary

MaryPage

« Reply #2259 on: May 05, 2011, 03:20:59 PM »
Have you tried THESE jigsaw puzzles?  They are my favorite thing and I am addicted to them.  I just wish National Geographic would tell us what and where most of the photos are of, but they do not.  They have a royal wedding one this week:  an obvious.  They change a few every weekday, but not on weekends.  You can go back and do almost a thousand of them.  Some of the photos take my breath away, they are so beautiful.

After the site comes up (I have it, of course, in my FAVORITES listing), you must wait a couple of Minutes for the puzzles to come up.  You will learn to work it from there.  After you have done one and want to do another, just go up slightly and click on the far left end of the black bar just above the puzzle itself.  The set will then come back up for you to choose from.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/your-shot/jigsaw-puzzles

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2260 on: May 05, 2011, 03:24:08 PM »
Of course, those are the staples. And of course also a computer so we can come in here.

I wish I could get your medieval map of England, Rosemary. I inherited wonderful jigsaw puzzles from my mother (rich paintings, medieval tapestries etc.), and in my new condo I finally have room for a big table where I can lay them out. But I need some new ones. The ones I find now are boring!

The mystery series where the Queen is the detective says that she loves to do jigsaw puzzles too. I wonder where she finds the time?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2261 on: May 05, 2011, 03:26:32 PM »
JoanK - email me with your address and when I have finished it I will gladly post it to you.  We never do the same one twice, and as I have mentioned previously, I have a ready supply of stamps thanks to my husband's late uncle, so it doesn't cost me anything - would be happy to pass it on.  My email is rosemarykaye@yahoo.co.uk.

Best wishes

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2262 on: May 05, 2011, 03:43:56 PM »
That would be wonderful. Can I send you one back?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2263 on: May 05, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
I sent an e-mail. If you don't get it, let me know.

Read a book by a new author "The Detroit Electric Sheme". The detective is a manager in an electric car company in 1910, and it talks about the car industry then (Edsel Ford as a teenager, is a character). I found the material on cars fascinating, but the murders were too gruesome for me.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2264 on: May 05, 2011, 04:41:01 PM »
Joan - I've emailed you back!

I can't bear grizzly murders.  That is why I can't read any more of the Stuart MacBride books, which are widely admired and are all set in Aberdeen, so I am very familiar with the locations - there is just too much violence.  I like mysteries that are more like crossword puzzles - Agatha Christie, Dorothy L Sayers, etc.  Can just about cope with Donna Leon because the settings are so wonderful.

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #2265 on: May 05, 2011, 06:42:48 PM »
Rosemary - That is so sweet of you to send that jigsaw to JoanK.  You are a very kind and generous woman..  I just bought another McBride for $7.99, reduced from $32.99.  I liked the first one of his I read.  Not too grisly for my taste, but may be for some.

Chocolate - If I ate chocolate every day I would look like a balloon!!!!  I have a very slow metabolism, darn it.  And I can't exercise or walk too far because of my ankle.  Rocky Road is my downfall - I cross myself when I see it in the shops.  I turn my face away and pray  ;)  I guess it is also a matter of quality over quantity.  White wine is my poison.  Love the bubbles, too.  

How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2266 on: May 05, 2011, 07:14:51 PM »
I keep chocolate drops in the freezer. Since they are frozen, I can't eat them quickly. I put one in my mouth, and let it melt slowly, and that's my chocolate fix for the day. I can make one last twenty minutes.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2267 on: May 05, 2011, 09:52:38 PM »
Steph, your Friends of the Library ought to change their meeting time if it conflicts month after month with the opera programs.  It's not fair to the members, and besides, they should support library programming, not conflict with it.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2268 on: May 06, 2011, 02:38:55 AM »
Still, despite the conflict, I do think Steph's library is fantastic - I have never heard of any Scottish library doing half as much as hers does, though Edinburgh is definitely better than Aberdeen was.  They always cry "no money", but, as is always the same with our local authorities, they do not want any public involvement (despite all David Cameron's waffle about "the big society" - by which he means, of course, please do it yourselves and save us some ££).  I would be very happy to be involved with a Friends of the Library group if such a thing existed.  Maybe I should write to the council and suggest it, although our councils are not known for replying to correspondence.

I just noticed yesterday that the big Christian Aid book sale will start in one of our local churches on 14th May - hooray!  Though if we don't find a house soon, I will be banned from buying anything - this flat is bursting at the seams.

Roshanarose - my son absolutely loves the MacBride books, but even my husband found them too gory  :)

As for chocolate - I limit myself to 4 squares of Lidl wholenut after dinner (I do not eat pudding), but I feel quite deprived if we haven't got any - JoanK, your idea is brilliant!

Rosemary

Gumtree

« Reply #2269 on: May 06, 2011, 03:40:59 AM »
 I don't have a yen for sweet things and rarely buy sweet treats but will eat a little if it's put in front of me. I do love chocolate - so long as it is dark, dark - but only buy that occasionally. I'll probably be given some on Sunday, Mother's Day.

My food downfall is cheese - any cheese...

Roshanarose: Have you tried chair aerobics - they helped me when I couldn't move much due to a herniated disc - they give you a good workout without loadbearing on your joints and certainly gets the blood circulating - might help those cold legs you have.. There are plenty of DVDs around so you get a visual of what to do -how fast and for how long... or you could try a class -  I really recommend it so do try it if you can.

roshanarose

« Reply #2270 on: May 06, 2011, 05:00:42 AM »
Thanks Gum for the tip about "chair aerobics".  It sounds like a good plan.

JoanK - Your rather elegant consumption of chocolate also sounds like a good plan  :)

My leg warmers from Bloch arrived on Tuesday.  They are so lovely.  Not at all like the rather bulky woollen ones I wore in the '80s.  These new one are delicately ribbed, very light, very warm and made of a cashmere / wool mix.  I should look rather fetching as I go to the Supermarket wearing my Uggs, daggy jeans and leg warmers.  Huh!!!

Gumtree

« Reply #2271 on: May 06, 2011, 06:23:48 AM »
Those leg warmers sound lovely Roshanarose. I've never owned a pair of uggboots - how un-Aussie is that?

Steph

« Reply #2272 on: May 06, 2011, 08:29:05 AM »
ahem.. Friends of the Library have met at the same time each month for many years.. The opera at the library is new.. Run by a professor, who is the lecturer every month and tells you all sorts of things you dont need to know. She is a difficult woman to put it mildly. I listen to the Met when they do their series on Sundays.. But after one instance, wont go back to the Opera series.. She has moved it forward in the day to 2:00.. which helps. Stars are hard to deal with when they have decided they are stars indeed.

Babi

« Reply #2273 on: May 06, 2011, 08:37:05 AM »
Oh, MARYPAGE, what a find!  I immediately added it to my favorites also. I
can't wait to get in there and see how it works.

Oh,yes, GUM, how could I forget cheese! I cook with it, snack on it, and
consider that it goes with/on most anything!
  It occurs to me that I've never owned a pair of boots.  How very un-Texan
 of me!  I recall a neighbor who couldn't wear anything else.  He had bad feet
and boots were the only footwear he found comfortable.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2274 on: May 06, 2011, 09:20:58 AM »
Just what i needed, MaryPage.  Another addiction.  But what fun, and yes, it's in my Favorites.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #2275 on: May 06, 2011, 09:47:38 AM »
I haven't posted in a while--so busy.  My number finally came up at the library on the latest in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series The Big Tent Wedding.  I enjoyed it as usual.

Frybabe

« Reply #2276 on: May 06, 2011, 01:30:29 PM »
Addiction is right. I've got the jigsaws bookmarked and am busily going through the choices. I like how you can set the puzzle piece size, set to rotate or not, and can add a background color.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2277 on: May 06, 2011, 02:41:10 PM »
"I do not eat pudding"

I think "pudding means something different in English and American English. Here it's specific to certain kinds of dessert (rice pudding types). In England, does it just mean the last sweeeet course of the meal?

Can't wait to check out the jigsaw puzzles.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2278 on: May 06, 2011, 03:07:13 PM »
JoanK - as with everything in the UK, "pudding" is a class-ridden term - I was brought up to call any sweet dish after the main course "pudding", whether it was a hot dish like a pie, crumble, charlotte or rice pudding, or a cold one like ice cream, blancmange (yuk), stewed fruit, etc.  In my youth, smart people would have called it "dessert", but now, as the fashions change, "pudding" seems to be the favoured term - there is a lot of pretend "return to the nursery" language in vogue with the young and aspirational.  I think many cook books use "pudding" for hot dishes and "dessert" for cold, but my mother would certainly still refer to them all as "pudding".

One thing that we would never ever have called it is "sweet" - I think for my parents it was simply a word that never entered their heads, but for many people that would be a marker of someone trying to be "posh" and failing miserably.   I seem to remember that Alison Steadman used it mercilessly in the brilliant "Abigail's Party".  For us, sweet refers only to confectionary, as in "sweet shop", "bag of sweets", etc - a sort of generic term for toffees, boiled sweets, mints, even chocolate.

I must find a copy of Nancy Mitford's U & Non-U and see what she has to say about it all.

See how fraught simple conversation can be over here!

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #2279 on: May 06, 2011, 03:17:27 PM »
Rosemary, I've always wanted to know what is a "boiled sweet"?  Clarify for me please.

André Maurois