Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897571 times)

serenesheila

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #2280 on: May 06, 2011, 07:05:08 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

Three mysteries arrived in the mail, yesterday.  The author for all three is Dianne Day.  I have just begun the first one, called "The Strange Files of Freemont Jones".  I would love to sit down and read all three this weekend.  However, my son, who lives in Ohio, arrives Saturday night.  He wants to be here for some business about my dad's will, and an appointment I have with my attorney on Wednesday, for estate planning.  He planned his trip to include both Monther's Day, and my birthday on Wednesday.  I am getting excited!

Sheila

maeve

« Reply #2281 on: May 06, 2011, 08:28:27 PM »
Carolyn, I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you with an answer to your question until now.  I don't have a favorite source for ebooks.  I have used the ebook store and the ereader store that is a click away on my Sony, but I really bought it so I could download books from my library.  They are free, but I can only keep them for 2 weeks.

I did see a report that kindle will allow library downloads later this year.  I guess they got the message.

MaryH

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #2282 on: May 06, 2011, 09:41:31 PM »
I just want to encourage each of you to do what yoou enjoy right now because in a moment of time you could be taken from this earth.  I almost was gone in an instant as I sat herer in my ling room with a horrendous Tornado swirling all around me.  I live in Alabama were we have had the most horrible destruction..It has left me very dazed and quiet....I was without electricity for 24 hrs..But I was luckymany towns were wiped out completely...Really tragic...I am going to shut up about it now..  I am sure that if you wanto hear about you can research it on your own.JoanG...
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #2283 on: May 06, 2011, 10:25:54 PM »
I'm glad to hear that you're okay, Joan.  It was a terrible thing - and continues to be.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

MaryPage

« Reply #2284 on: May 06, 2011, 10:30:47 PM »
The moment I heard about Alabama, I thought about you, Joan;  so am most appreciative of your checking in here.

roshanarose

« Reply #2285 on: May 06, 2011, 11:26:53 PM »
Ah!  American/English and Australian English all differ on the subject of sweets.  In Australia there may also be a variation among states for certain words.  For example, when I first moved from New South Wales to Queensland there were a few terms that confused me.  My children, and I (blushing) loved "cocktail frankfurts".  In Queensland they call them "cheerios".  Also there may be small pronunciation differences, e.g. in New South Wales we say "castle" as in carstle, in Queensland they say cassel.  

Gum - Ugg boots are so ugly but so warm.  I would never wear a pair to the supermarket, Gum.  I have three pairs of Uggs.  The other day I bought a long black pair of Ugg boots for nightime wear - no, seriously, I did!!  I did have a pair of lovely brown leather cowboy boots when I was younger, but now I can't wear anything with a heel.  So flats are my fate.  Fortunately they are fashionable.  Uggs will never go out of fashion.  Long live Uggs!!!

Link so you can see what Ugg boots look like.  Don't you want a pair now? :o  PS the Uggs I own cost no more than $15 at Target.  There is no way I would pay more than that for them.

www.uggys.com.au

Rosemary - I have always called it dessert.  I have heard people up here say would you like sweets rather than dessert, but it is quite rare to hear it..  I have heard pudding used as a general term for dessert, but not often.

Joan Grimes - At times like those you have just experienced, one is definitely reminded of one's mortality.  It can be a very unpleasant feeling.   Humans are so helpless in the face of such power. I hope you are recovering and best wishes.

MaryH - thanks for getting back to me.  I use my library too.  It is excellent, but with a long waiting list for best sellers.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Frybabe

« Reply #2286 on: May 07, 2011, 12:06:24 AM »
JoanG , I'm so glad to hear that you are okay. I've seen videos of the destruction. Just awful.

Gumtree

« Reply #2287 on: May 07, 2011, 02:45:34 AM »
Joan Grimes So good to see you here safe and well. Your advice about living every moment of every day is well taken. One just never knows what's around the corner.

Roshanarose: I've nothing a'gin the Ugg boot. For me they are just too warm for comfort. I can't even wear fleecy lined slippers and don't own a pair of real socks. I just wear ankle or knee high stockings to have something between my skin and the shoe. It's the 'chair aerobics' I mentioned yesterday that gets my blood circulating and keeps me so warm. If you give it a try you won't be sorry - just warm  ;D 

I agree there are lots of differences in terms used between the Australian states - take NSW 'port' for WA 'suitcase' or 'togs' 'cossies' and 'bathers' for swimsuit. The pronunciation differs too - try saying 'balloon' the way they do in Victoria - bal-looo-un - well that's the closest I can get to that one! We could write a book - someone probably has!

Pudding, Dessert, Sweets:  My mother and grandmother always called it pudding no matter what it was. I tend to call hot dishes - rice custard, steamed puddings, pies, crumbles etc - 'pudding'  and the cold ones - fruit, jellies, pavlova, roulades etc - 'dessert'.   I never call either 'sweets' which as everyone knows are lollies and chocs.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2288 on: May 07, 2011, 03:12:17 AM »
Joan - I am so glad that you are safe, what a horrible experience.  I hope you didn't have too much damage to your house either, and that there are people there to help you sort it out.

Tomereader:  a boiled sweet is a hard round translucent sweet that you suck, eg sherbet lemons.  They are made from sugar and flavouring I suppose, and I do have an old cookery book that tells you how to make them yourself - which involves a sugar thermometer, etc - but I can't imagine that anyone does.

http://www.partydelights.co.uk/sweets/boiled_sweets/?pmo=sweets&mo=sweets&gclid=CPmg0rGk1agCFdFX4QodjjsJ_w

Roshanarose - over here Ugg Boots are very expensive and something of a fashion status symbol.  Needless to say, neither I nr my daughters have the real thing, but there are lots of rip-off versions.  My old neighbour, who was extremely label conscious, bought real Ugg boots, at the price of £150, for her 10 year old, which for me was an act of complete madness, but I'm sure she would see me as a total skinflint (correct  ;D)

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #2289 on: May 07, 2011, 08:46:42 AM »
  It's good of your son to be there to assist you with the legal and business
meetings, SHEILA. I am not too confident in those areas, myself, and find
support most welcome.

So good to hear from you, JOAN. Several people expressed concern when we
didn't hear from you for a while. I can well imagine how shaken you must have
been and I'm very glad you were not injured.

I like the uggs, ROSHANA. They look way too warm for the Texas Gulf Coast,
but I'd definitely want a pair in a cooler climate.
  Here, pudding is that soft creamy stuff you eat with a spoon, period. You
can get it in vanilla, chocolate, butterscotch, lemon, tapioca and rice. It,
and all other after dinner sweet treats are 'dessert'.  Eaten at any other time, they are
snacks.  So, now that's settled.  8)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2290 on: May 07, 2011, 12:54:17 PM »
I just want to encourage each of you to do what yoou enjoy right now because in a moment of time you could be taken from this earth.

Well said, JoanG.  We're all very grateful you're still here with us.

Rosemary,  I find the differences in UK and US English absolutely fascinating.  Thanks so much for explaining all about the puddings, sweets, etc.  I can just imagine the facial expressions here, if after eating something like pecan or key lime pie, some said, "best pudding I ever ate."

serenesheila

« Reply #2291 on: May 07, 2011, 04:45:13 PM »
Today, I received a new mystery in the mail.  It is the first, in a series.  I did not order it.  There was no bill inside.  Hmmmm
The title is:  A Clubbable Woman", by Reginald Hill.  The book came from Thrift Books.  Are any of you familiar with that place?

BABI, my son just called from the local airport, to let me know he is in Sacramento.  Some friends are picking him up.  They are loaning him one of their cars.  So, he will spend this afternoon and evening with them.  He will come to my house, bright and early, tomorrow.  I am feeling excited!

JOANG, it is good to hear from you.  I am so glad that you are OK.  That experience must have been terribly frightening for you.  You are very correct in saying that we just never know, when our time has come.

Sheila

Tomereader1

« Reply #2292 on: May 07, 2011, 07:03:35 PM »
I am familiar with ThriftBooks, and buy stuff from them all the time.  Very inexpensive!  Someone is giving you a secret Mother's Day Gift.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

salan

« Reply #2293 on: May 07, 2011, 07:58:18 PM »
I order used books from Amazon.  Some of them are from Thrift Books.  Someone must have mailed you one.
Sally

roshanarose

« Reply #2294 on: May 07, 2011, 11:21:40 PM »
Rosemary - To me it is highly amusing that Ugg boots are a status symbol in the UK.  I would never wear my Uggs to the shops for the opposite reason.  There is not a lot of snobbery around where I live, but wearing Uggs outside the house is definitely a no-no. 

The same used to apply to thongs.  No, ladies not the underwear. In summer EVERYONE wears them, including me.  The rubber thongs called "Havaianas" sp. are the status symbol among thongs here.  Yes.  I do have a pair, not for status, but because they are the most comfortable thongs I have ever worn.  I think you call them flip-flops in the US.  Maybe it is too cold to wear them in the UK.  Those poor little toesies might turn blue and fall off :o

Key Lime Pie - mmmmm I have always wanted to try that.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

MaryPage

« Reply #2295 on: May 08, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
I never wear boots, so don't have a clue as to which are Uggs.  Love the name, though!

We here in the States began to wear flip flops after World War II.  They came to us from occupying Japan, where we copied the Japanese footwear called zori.

I never wear them, either.  Do not own a pair.  Have known of too many accidents as a result of wearing them.  Am in need of having my feet covered fully at all times:  no open toed footwear or open heeled, even in slippers.  Something in my psyche demands my feet be protected from insects, snakes, water and other liquids, pebbles, sand, dirt, grass and cold.  Also need them ready to get me away from a scene as quickly as needed.  

Since a doctor (an orthopedic surgeon) lectured me way back in 1987, have not worn a pair of heels;  I can still see him showing me how they throw women's postures out and do a job of work on the spine.  Decided I was not going to suffer in my old age, and have never regretted that decision.  Went home and threw out all my high heels that very day!  Now I wonder what is to become of my granddaughters generation in THEIR old age!

Sheila, I have nothing to do with your getting that Reginald Hill book, and would not have known where to send it in any case, but he is one of my very top favorite mystery writers and ever so clever.  Hope you enjoy and get addicted to Dalziel and Pascoe.  I believe there are now 24 or 25 books!

I dislike Key Lime pie (and key limes), but it was my darling husband's favorite, and I was always happy to see him enjoy it.

Frybabe

« Reply #2296 on: May 08, 2011, 08:34:32 AM »
I love Key Lime Pie.

I don't know if I could stand wearing high heels any more. I've been wearing flats for so long. I do know two people who couldn't wear flats, had to wear heels, abet the low ones. One of them definitely had a shortened Achilles tendon which made walking in flat shoes painful.

I've started reading Paul Sussman's The Secret of the Last Temple. So far so good, but I am not too far into it yet. I like his Det. Insp. Yusef Ezz el-Din Khalifa of Luxor, Egypt. He is something of an expert in antiquities, having taken classes at university to become an archaeologist before he had to give it up because of family obligations.  Sussman's first book, The Lost Army of the Cambyses, was a good story, but I got impatient with the heroine who seemed to be thinking with other parts of her anatomy than her brain, I didn't care for the amount of swearing and drinking considering the setting is a Muslim country, and even though it is a reality, the anti-semitism (the characters, not the author's). This second book starts out with the conflict between the Romans and the Jews and then switches to the modern day conflicts. Only one swear word so far. Sussman, BTW, is a trained archaeologist.

mabel1015j

« Reply #2297 on: May 08, 2011, 11:45:35 AM »
I've started reading mysteries located in NJ or Pa., just to narrow my choices among the thousands at the library.

My first one is pretty good, Backstage Murder by Shelly Freydant. A "retired" dancer returns to the theater as a rehearsal director. If you have been a dancer or in theater, you would probably enjoy it, or even,if not.  I was lost a few times at the terminology, but generally could figure out what it was. Altho the protagonist lives in NJ, most of the action has taken place at a theater in Conn, not that it matters, i like the characters and the story. I'm almost finished and haven't figured out who is the murderer.

serenesheila

« Reply #2298 on: May 08, 2011, 02:28:31 PM »
MARYPAGE, thanks for your comments about my new, Thrift Books selection.  I am looking forward to getting into it.  However, I just began "The Strange Files of Fremont Jones".  I must finish it, before I read the Thrift Book selection.

Sheila

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2299 on: May 08, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »
Jean/Mabel - that is a really good idea; I tend to go off all over the place with my choices.  I am reading my first Louise Penney at the moment and enjoying all the details about Quebec, so maybe I should stick to Canada for a while.  However, having just visited the Rosslyn Chapel area yesterday, I am also drawn back to Ian Rankin, as the chapel featured in one of his Rebus books.  The "Stop, You're Killing Me" website is a great help in finding what you want - thanks to whoever recommended it - was it Tomereader?  I've passed it on to my mother, who also likes it.

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #2300 on: May 08, 2011, 08:47:46 PM »
Probably was me, RosemaryKaye!  Love that SYKM!  Haveyou also visited FantasticFiction.com?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

roshanarose

« Reply #2301 on: May 08, 2011, 10:46:32 PM »
MaryPage - Just for you :)

Another link to Ugg boots.  These cost too much.  As I said earlier I buy mine at Target for $15.00. 

www.fluffyfootwear.com.au

MaryPage

« Reply #2302 on: May 09, 2011, 07:52:49 AM »
Thanks!  They look very comfy.

Babi

« Reply #2303 on: May 09, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »
Also need them ready to get me away from a scene as quickly as needed. 

AHA! Fleeing the scene of the crime, are you, MARYPAGE? BUSTED!! :D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

MaryPage

« Reply #2304 on: May 09, 2011, 11:14:35 AM »
ALWAYS looking for the way out, wherever I go.

Don't know why I am programmed that way, but 'tis true!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2305 on: May 09, 2011, 03:25:59 PM »
JOANG: I'm SOOOO happy to hear from you. We were all worried when you "disappeared". Thank God you're all right.

I was off being feted for Mothers Day -- wonderful time, but glad to be back to my fellow crime-lovers.

SHEILA: I had just ordered the same book from Amazon. Enjoy. If it's a gift book, there may be a note on the wrapping paper.

Glad to get "pudding" straightened out. Class is subtle in Britain, isn't it? Here in the US, we tend to pretend that class differences don't exist (although they do).

Wish UGGs had been around when I lived back east. Always had trouble getting boots that had a good enough "tread" on them to be safe on icey sidewalks. Here in California, I don't really need boots.

Reading another Sansom mystery about a hunchbacked lawyer in Henry the Eight's time "Heartstone". I like the series, but I wish I'd bought this one on my kindle -- it's over 600 pages and weighs a ton. I can't get comfortable with it.

Steph

« Reply #2306 on: May 09, 2011, 08:51:45 PM »
Oh yes, I do not understand the term " Boiled Sweet".. Is it like Taffy???
Stephanie and assorted corgi

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2307 on: May 10, 2011, 01:42:23 AM »
Steph, what is taffy?  Is it what we call toffee?  (ie brown chewy sweet).  If so, no that is not a boiled sweet.  A boiled sweet is a hard, clear-ish sweet - if you bite it it cracks/shatters.  Do you get "travel sweets" in a small round tin?  If so (and if they are the same as ours) those are a small version of the boiled sweet, although the travel ones are usually packaged in icing sugar, which the "normal" ones aren't.  When I was a child, you bought boiled sweets (by their individual names, eg sherbet lemons) by the quarter and they were measured out from the big glass jars kept on shelves behind the counter.  Nowadays they are mostly sold in packets, although a few of those old fashioned sweet shops are coming back (though sadly not with the old fashioned prices).

Rosemary

salan

« Reply #2308 on: May 10, 2011, 04:24:14 AM »
Ah hah!  Are boiled sweets like our lemon drops?  Maybe like our "Life Savors".....  I always imagined boiled sweets as a kind of pudding boiled in cheese cloth.
Sally

When I was in London and ordered lemonade; I was surprised to be served what I call 7-up or sprite.  What is the difference between lemon squash and lemonade??  I know "crisps" are our potato chips and "chips" are our french fries.  Interesting..

Gumtree

« Reply #2309 on: May 10, 2011, 05:56:54 AM »
Boiled Sweets - we call them Boiled Lollies. They were very popular when I was a child. Lollies of any kind were few and far between during my childhood so this talk about them brings back memories of my aunt who lived in the outback and who always brought a one pound bag full of boiled lollies with her every time she came to stay with us - As I grew older I discovered that she stopped to buy them on the way from the railway station to our house. Spoiled the magic a little as I had imagined she carried them all the way from her home on a far away cattle station. But it didn't spoil the feast!  They come in a variety of flavours and kinds. Most popular were the Humbugs - mint, aniseed, peppermint, spearmint flavoured and one we called the Bullseye. We even had a eucalyptus and honey flavoured humbug.

Steph

« Reply #2310 on: May 10, 2011, 06:01:40 AM »
Ah hah... No Taffy is soft and chewy. Comes in all sorts of flav ors and is popular at the beach. Many candy shops used to always have all sorts of taffy.. Lemon drops, Humbugs.. what we call hard candy is the closest.

maeve

« Reply #2311 on: May 10, 2011, 07:32:35 AM »
When we were in Australia 25 years ago, I couldn't get iced tea so I ordered iced coffee.  What a surprise that was.  I can't remember what all went  into it but I do remember ice cream and cocoa powder.  Yummy.

MaryH

Gumtree

« Reply #2312 on: May 10, 2011, 11:57:06 AM »
Maeve - Mary H?   Yes, iced coffee is still our No 1 summer drink and yummy it is.  Iced tea doesn't stand a chance here though in the past few years it has made some headway - they sell it bottled but can't say I've ever tried it. I have hot tea made properly in a teapot with fresh tea leaves. Call me old-fashioned if you will  :D

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2313 on: May 10, 2011, 12:28:57 PM »
Salan - I think you are thinking of something like a jam roly poly, which is a sort of suet pudding rolled up in a muslin cloth and steamed.  I don't think anyone makes those at home any more, although puddings have suddenly become fashionable and are being sold in upmarket retro restaurants.

As for lemonade - yes, that is tricky!  In supermarkets and most restaurants, if you ask for lemonade you will get something akin to Sprite or 7-Up (yuk).  My mother used to make real lemonade, a still (ie not fizzy) drink made with lemons and sugar, and you do very occasionally get that in cafes.  Squash - which is more often orange or blackcurrant (eg Ribena), although you can now get some rather superior ones like Rock's in all sorts of flavours, including some very good elderflower ones -although these would call themselves cordials - is a concentrated drink that has to be diluted with tap water, or with fizzy water if you wish.  At least that's how it is in England.  In Scotland, just to complicate matters, they tend to call all soft drinks "juice" - this really threw me when I first arrived here, as to me, "juice" means pure orange/apple/etc juice, not something full of extra sugar or sweeteners.  In Aberdeen in particular, you will often hear people telling their children to "drink your juice" - when the child has been provided with a bottle of some disgusting neon coloured fizz.

Gumtree - yes humbugs are definitely a form of boiled sweet, I would say.  Steph - your hard candy must be the US equivalent.  Isn't it funny how certain things in our childhoods have a certain kind of cache?  When I was very young, our neighbour's husband worked at Harrods (which was much more exclusive than it is now).  He used to bring us bags of "misshape" sweets from their confectionery dept, and I used to think these were the last word in sophistication - I also imagined that he must be the managing director at least.  He was in fact one of the store porters, a very kind and generous man.  His daughter, the exotically named Coral, married an American and went to live in California - even more exotic!  Then she had a son called TJ or something - my goodness how dull our lives seemed compared to theirs.

I also had a whole collection of hardback Enid Blyton books that were handed down from my mother's friend's daughter Sally.  To me, Sally was amazingly grown up and exciting (she was probably then all of 12 as she is about 6 years older than me), which made those books very precious.

Iced coffee unfortunately sounds ten times more fattening than iced tea.  The only kind of iced tea we get is Liptons, which, as I think I have already said, is probably nothing like the real thing.

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #2314 on: May 10, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
And to further confuse you, Rosemary, in the South there is iced tea and sweet tea.  Iced tea is brewed tea  mixed with how-many-ever parts water (thinned to your taste I guess)  Sweet tea is iced tea strongly laced with sugar!  REally too sweet for my taste, plain,  but I like it with a lemon slice squeezed in.  Then don't forget "sun tea" which is brewed by putting the tea bags in a large, glass (usually gallon) container, fill with water and brew in the sun on the windowsill or back porch.  All get the same result, but people's preferences are what they are!

I would think "boiled sweets" would be kind of like the little butterscotch rounds, or peppermints, lemon drops, in essence "hard candies" over here.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2315 on: May 10, 2011, 02:51:45 PM »
Isn't that amazing. All these different names, but as kids, we all yearned for the same sweet things. What is it with kids and sweet treats, anyway?

ROSEMARY: " His daughter, the exotically named Coral, married an American and went to live in California - even more exotic!"

As an American who lives in California, I can tell you there's nothing exotic about it. Just a lot of people and a lot of traffic. C'mon over and see for yourself. I've got a comfy couch.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2316 on: May 10, 2011, 02:56:21 PM »
I finished the Sansom mystery (Heartstone). Good story, and he provides a good "feel" for the time, but his editors really should have made him shorten it!

Steph

« Reply #2317 on: May 11, 2011, 06:18:39 AM »
I guess I am puzzled. In the US, Iced coffe is just regular coffee with ice cubes and generally milk and sugar.. Is it something else overseas?? I know that in Holland, I saw Iced Tea on the menu andwhen it came, it was fizzy..What a surprise.

roshanarose

« Reply #2318 on: May 11, 2011, 08:59:48 AM »
Iced Coffee where I come from rates high as extremely sinful to the weight watcher, e.g. me.  

The best iced coffee includes a dash of the iced coffee mix at the bottom of the parfait glass.  Full cream milk is added and then ice cream and pure cream on top laced with cocoa or chocolate.  Sometimes even a stick of chocolate is introduced to the mix for the fortunate consumer.  On a hot day one can see many "fortunate consumers" delighting in this concoction.  There is only one problem - it doesn't last long enough...  One may see other consumers looking longingly at one's iced coffee, and, then, suddenly there is a veritable epidemic of this divine milky treat.  Mmmmmm.  Fortunately the shops are now closed for the day...

In Greece they pride themselves on their frappes.  A cunning mix of humble Nescafe and ice, all mixed at high speed with the lightest and most delicate coffee froth mixed throughout.  You have to be there...

Quite recently I have discovered a Lemonade sold in Coles.  It is the "real thing", ie lemon juice, pure water and cane sugar.  It is nothing short of gorgeous.  Very astringent, but so refreshing..

Babi

« Reply #2319 on: May 11, 2011, 09:06:11 AM »
 Considering how kids burn up energy, JOAN, I can see how they might need the
fast energy of sweets. And considering how sensitive their palates still are,
I can also understand why they hate some of the stronger flavored veggies.
See, another mystery solved.  :)