Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897598 times)

marjifay

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #2360 on: May 17, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

My favorite Dorothy Sayers Lord Peter book is MURDER MUST ADVERTISE.  They will be discussing that book in the Yahoo Lord Peter group in June.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

serenesheila

« Reply #2361 on: May 17, 2011, 03:46:20 PM »
Can someone please tell me the name of the second book, in the Freemont Jones series?  I have just begun readng the first one.

Thanks, Sheila

jeriron

« Reply #2362 on: May 17, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »
Sheila

It's FOG AND FIRE.

marjifay

« Reply #2363 on: May 17, 2011, 08:10:53 PM »
Sheila, if you want to find out the chronological order of a series of books, you can visit the website of Fantastic Fiction.  Just list the author and it brings up all the author's books in the order they were written.

Another great site, StopYoureKillingMe.com, lists mystery books by author, character, area, etc.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #2364 on: May 18, 2011, 06:21:37 AM »
I  have gotten interested in polygamy and just got three books from Amazon.. Interesting topic and quite different in this first one than the nonsense on TV..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #2365 on: May 18, 2011, 10:08:22 AM »
Steph, participating in??? :o  or just reading about?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

serenesheila

« Reply #2366 on: May 18, 2011, 06:28:53 PM »
JERIRON and MARJ, thank you for your help.  I just signed up for the book lists.  I anticipate a lot of fun, exploring these stes.

Sheila

roshanarose

« Reply #2367 on: May 18, 2011, 11:39:44 PM »
Naughty girl maryz.   :D

I think polyandry is much more interesting, although my personal feelings about having more than one husband will not be shared here. ::)

"According to inscriptions describing the reforms of the Sumerian king Urukagina of Lagash (ca. 2300 BC), he is said to have abolished the former custom of polyandry in his country, on pain of the woman taking multiple husbands being stoned with rocks upon which her crime is written.[1]"  From Wikipedia.

Evidently, according to Wiki anyway, the Masai have a form of polyandry.  

However, fraternal polyandry is the most common form and still exists today in Nepal and Tibet, although the Chinese have tried to abolish it.

How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #2368 on: May 19, 2011, 06:34:02 AM »
Very funny. I dont think I would have been good at sharing a husband.. I just started watching Big Love and the other polygamy show on tv that is supposed to be real and wondered a bit about how common it is and how the women may really feel. There are a lot of books out there, but many of them are fiction and very very dramatic for one reason or another. But there are a few written that seem to be more balanced.. I love to explore different parts of life through books and that is my topic at least for now..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2369 on: May 19, 2011, 02:44:16 PM »
I wonder why polygamy has popped up as something to be talked about recently?

Tomereader1

« Reply #2370 on: May 19, 2011, 04:00:36 PM »
Probably the end of the series on TV, Big Love. 

I read a really fine book dealing with polygamy many, many years ago.  And of course, there is no way my brain's disc drive has recorded the title or author.  I do seem to remember (maybe, perhaps) the author's first name was Charles??? Maybe not.  Oh, I hate getting old, or mostly just forgetting stuff.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

MaryPage

« Reply #2371 on: May 19, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »
My favorite Dorothy Sayers Harriet Vane story was Gaudy Night.  Now that is one I have read more than once!

And I will rush to buy the latest Minette Walters every single time a new one comes out.  She is five stars in My book!

Steph

« Reply #2372 on: May 20, 2011, 06:07:02 AM »
Actually I would probably not buy or read a book on polygamy written by a man. The one I am reading is by Ruth Allred Solomon. This is a famous family involved in polygamy. She seems to portray both the good and bad and the reasons that they got involved in the first. place. I still think that Joseph Smith was simply a greedy old man who decided he wanted younger and younger wives.. So he made his religon be the reason. Sad, but true.

MaryPage

« Reply #2373 on: May 20, 2011, 07:34:32 AM »
Me too, and all, Steph.

marjifay

« Reply #2374 on: May 20, 2011, 05:33:32 PM »
MaryPage said, "My favorite Dorothy Sayers Harriet Vane story was Gaudy Night.  Now that is one I have read more than once!"

Thanks, Mary.  Gaudy Night is sitting on my book shelf, and it's the only one I haven't yet read.

Marj

Steph

« Reply #2375 on: May 21, 2011, 06:09:03 AM »
I have read and reread Dorothy Sayers many times. Lord Peter is an amazing character and Harriet is way too funny in her own way.. A nice reread author indeed.

Babi

« Reply #2376 on: May 21, 2011, 08:54:34 AM »
 With all this praise of Lord Peter, I suppose I will have to go re-examine that
character.  It's been a long time since I read a book featuring him, and my '
impression was that he left very little impression at all.  Yawn. But perhaps
I just wasn't paying attention.  I'll give him another try.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2377 on: May 21, 2011, 07:57:37 PM »
I haven't read any Sayers for years, and never read them all. Maybe it's time for me, too.

Trying to finish my library books. read one by Jane Haddam. well written and interesting. Not sure why I don't like her more than I do.

And a light cozy, "Koala of death" by Betty Webb. Picked it up couse I assumed it was Australian. but no, the detective is a zookeeper on the California coast. Lots of amusing information about zoos and animals (though maybe they poop on someone once too often). And the koala saves the day! I've got the first of the series, Anteater of Death, on my kindle.

The same author (Betty Webb) has another series with many more books. Do any of you know it?

Steph

« Reply #2378 on: May 22, 2011, 06:20:03 AM »
Hmm, Betty Webb sounds familiar, but not quite sure why. My new bedbook is really funny.. A true ( sort of) story about a man who decided that he wanted to try agility in the dog world. He got a rescue Sheltie , who was complicated and homely and now he is trying to figure out how to motivate the Sheltie, who is truly funny.. I needed something to make me laugh and this is doing the trick.

salan

« Reply #2379 on: May 22, 2011, 06:55:13 AM »
Just ordered the first Lord Peter book on my Kindle (.99)--it's been years since I read Sayers.
Sally

marjifay

« Reply #2380 on: May 22, 2011, 11:06:07 AM »
For anyone wanting to read Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter series with a group, the Yahoo Lord Peter discussion group is reading them all (June will be Murder Must Advertise, one of her best, IMO).  This is a very interesting bunch of readers, several of whom are from England and are able to explain for American readers what may be puzzling bits of some of the stories.

Marj

Steph

« Reply #2381 on: May 23, 2011, 06:02:50 AM »
A whole group on nothing but Lord Peter.. How neat.. She loved to overcomplicate her books by using latin for the good stuff. But then Sayers considered the Lord Peter books as just some fluff. It was her religion books that she felt were important.

marjifay

« Reply #2382 on: May 23, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »
I did not know about Dorothy Sayers' religious books, Steph.  You'd never know from her Lord Peter books, not that they are anti-religious, just that I don't think she reveals that part of herself in them.  (Or maybe she did and I didn't notice.)  I see she was one of the first women to receive a degree from Oxford.  I'll have to read a biography of her.

Marj

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2383 on: May 23, 2011, 07:49:16 PM »
And don't forget she also translated Dante's Inferno!

marjifay

« Reply #2384 on: May 23, 2011, 08:38:48 PM »
And don't forget she also translated Dante's Inferno!

Yes, Joan, I saw that somewhere.  Sayers was an interesting woman.

Marj

serenesheila

« Reply #2385 on: May 23, 2011, 08:42:20 PM »
You have convinced me to try Dorothy Sayers.  I just ordered the first Lord Peter book.

Sheila

Steph

« Reply #2386 on: May 24, 2011, 06:11:23 AM »
Sayers if one of those authors you need to keep going for a while. She is hard to get into, but once Lord Peter exerts his charm, you will be hooked.

MaryPage

« Reply #2387 on: May 25, 2011, 12:07:34 PM »
There is a great article about Agatha Christie in the latest SMITHSONIAN magazine.

marjifay

« Reply #2388 on: May 25, 2011, 01:23:10 PM »
Interesting article, MaryPage.  What a beautiful vacation home she had.

Marj

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2389 on: May 25, 2011, 02:35:45 PM »
I'm reading a Henning Mankell stand alone (not Wallender). "The Man from Beijing". The beginning is very good. But when it gets to china, it reads like a parody of the old cold war sinister-Russian stories. I'll let you know when I finish it.

Frybabe

« Reply #2390 on: May 25, 2011, 05:58:25 PM »
JoanK, I have Mankell's The Return of the Dancing Master in my TBR pile. I had started it months ago, but wasn't in the mood for it. It also is not a Wallander, but was reading a lot like it. Actually, I thought I was picking up a book set in Africa, but I guess not unless it moves there somewhere after the first chapter.

Steph

« Reply #2391 on: May 26, 2011, 06:05:47 AM »
PIcked up a short story mix of
Vampires and Birthdays book on the remainder pile a few weeks ago.. Love to have some short stories on hand occasionally.

Babi

« Reply #2392 on: May 26, 2011, 09:04:15 AM »
 Just started a Daniel Silva book, one of the Gabriel Allon series.  I've read one
of those before and found it interesting.  I like the idea of a top-notch art
restorer who is also an agent for the Israelis.  I mean, who would think...?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2393 on: May 26, 2011, 02:24:35 PM »
FRY: The Man from Beijing has scenes in Africa, too.

Steph

« Reply #2394 on: May 27, 2011, 06:09:08 AM »
MDH loved Daniel Silva books. I guess I did not realize he was still writing.

Babi

« Reply #2395 on: May 27, 2011, 08:31:18 AM »
 I can't say for certain, STEPH.  I don't know the publication date on the book
I'm reading.  It should be easy enough to find out, tho'.

Steph

« Reply #2396 on: May 28, 2011, 06:17:51 AM »
 Its on my computer list, but the trial is riveting me.. Oh me.. I have never ever watched this much tv in my life. It is only a half day today and then two days off, thank heavens.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2397 on: May 28, 2011, 02:31:08 PM »
The library had a new book by Cottrell about the state coroner of Laos (Dr. Siri) I like those books, and there are a number that I haven't read. have to catch up.

nlhome

« Reply #2398 on: May 28, 2011, 08:10:54 PM »
JoanK, which book? I enjoy those Cottrell books also. I've only read two, but each really kept my interest.

roshanarose

« Reply #2399 on: May 28, 2011, 10:24:26 PM »
It would be fascinating to watch a trial in real time.  Here in Australia, we have closed courts, no TV, not even photos are allowed once the trial / case is in progress.  This applies to every case.  TV journalists are required to wait like hungry wolves outside the court house, usually on the steps, and even then it is strictly "no comment".

The only way to visit a court room is while court is not in session, or if you are on jury duty.  Very different legal system.  I think UK is the forerunner of our system.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato