Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897806 times)

Babi

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #3040 on: November 08, 2011, 07:53:23 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

I finally have C. J. Sansom's latest in the Matthew Shardlake series.  "The Heartstone", tho' I
haven't discovered yet what the significance is of the title.  Fascinating how he weaves in
authentic scenes from the historical events of the times.  It was borne in on me for the first
time how much trouble it can cause when the everyday currency is devalued.  And what it
meant to draft and march thousands of soldiers and supply carts through a countryside with no paved roads and plenty of rain.  Or dust. One or the other.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

MaryPage

« Reply #3041 on: November 08, 2011, 08:43:50 AM »
Pedln, I have yet to read a Margaret Maron, but I now own the first one because you praised her so highly and you and I often like the same things.

Don't know when I'll get around to reading it, as there are stacks and stacks of books to get to first.

At present, I am reading Michael Dibdin's A RICH FULL DEATH.  It is not an Aurelio Zen, but a stand alone.  It takes place in Florence, Italy in 1855 and Robert Browning, the famous poet, who lived there at the time with Elizabeth Barrett Browning, his wife who was even more famous, more or less takes the role of detective in a case concerning several murders.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #3042 on: November 08, 2011, 10:10:03 AM »
I'm in total agreement with Pedln and Steph on Arch and the Jrk...and on Death on Demand...just too, too much.  I also found that with Maron.  I did enjoy the quirky Joan Hess series, but I haven't seen anything in either series...the bookseller one or the female sheriff of Maggody, Arkansas, lately.  I should go check her website. I may have missed  a new on of these light, quirky mysteries.

jane

marjifay

« Reply #3043 on: November 08, 2011, 12:57:05 PM »
I just finished James Lee Burke's FEAST DAY OF FOOLS.  This was my first of his books, and I loved it.  He's a very good writer.  Don't read it if the only mysteries you enjoy are cozies.  But I found it hard to put down and will definitely read more of his books.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #3044 on: November 08, 2011, 01:28:48 PM »
I've read all of Maron's books (both series) and never tired of them.  I'm on the reserve list for her latest and am looking forward to her meeting up with Sigrid in New York.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3045 on: November 08, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »
Last night, Nevada Barr was asked if she liked to read James Lee Burke.  She said she didn't "read" his books, but always listened to them.  Interesting.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #3046 on: November 09, 2011, 05:55:37 AM »
I love James Lee, but he is over the top with violence and I must be careful when I read it.. His Buddy however drives me nuts..What a horrible example of a human.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

marjifay

« Reply #3047 on: November 09, 2011, 10:09:27 AM »
I guess I haven't read enough of James Lee Burke, Steph, to know who his "buddy" character is.  In Feast Day of Fools, the sheriff's deputy is a female, and she's a real kick, altho' he is always admonishing her for her use of rather colorful language. 

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3048 on: November 09, 2011, 03:04:21 PM »
That must have been a good evening, MaryZ, hearing Neveda Barr speak and answer questions. I've only read about three or four of her books, but enjoyed them all, especially an earlier one, Flashback, which is set in Dry Tortugas National Park, home of Fort Jefferson, which was used as a prison during the Civil War.  Dr. Mudd was kept there.

I think I'd like to read the one set in New York city -- Liberty something?.  After looking at the Amazon reviews of Burn I think I'll pass on that one, too.  She has a new one coming out in January -- sounds like kind of prequel, as it's about Anna Pigeon's first case.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3049 on: November 09, 2011, 04:44:55 PM »
That's correct, pedln.  Barr said her publisher wished she'd quit aging Anna so quickly.  So Barr took her back in time before the first book.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #3050 on: November 10, 2011, 05:49:34 AM »
Oh good. Anna was more fun when slightly younger.. NOw like all of us, she is quieter.
Clete is the buddy in James Lee Burkes books.. He has everything wrong with him you can imagine, but is convinced he is the worlds perfect avenger.. I just cannot warm up to him.. Dave is more human in many ways. Although the three wives in serial is sort of silly at times. No idea why he wants to keep changing wives and why he aged dave so that the daughter is a grownup, although James Lees daughter is an author in her own right.

MaryPage

« Reply #3051 on: November 10, 2011, 02:38:05 PM »
Are any of you familiar with BAS BLEU, the blue stocking book sellers?  They are on line at www.basbleu.com and they have a wonderful catalog.  The thing about them and mysteries is this:  any mystery they have recommended has turned out to be just great!  That being said, here are some from their latest list:

"A Dark Dividing" by Sarah Rayne
"A Bitter Truth" by Charles Todd
"The Alienist" by Caleb Carr
"A Broken Vessel" by Kate Ross
"In The Woods" by Tana French
"The Unfinished Clue" by Georgette Heyer
and for those who want a CHRISTMAS mystery:
"Envious Casca" by Georgette Heyer

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3052 on: November 10, 2011, 03:37:49 PM »
MARY PAGE: I'm so glad you said that series always decrease in quality! I always feel that way: never sure whether it's the author, or me getting tired of him/her.

MARYZ: I envy you. With all her National Park experioence, I imagine Barr could be fascinating. Does she still work for the parks? Some of her criticisms in her books could have made her unpopular. I'm still shocked at how little they are paid!

I'm ashamed to say I've only read one of the Bas Bleu books: "The Alienist". It's not a new book by any means.

Just picked up a new Susan Conant mystery, and am remembering why she irritates me so much. Someone is killed at the beginning: I am now 3/4 of the way through, and the murder (I assume) has hardly been mentioned. Conant is too busy telling us endlessly how much she loves her dogs. Well, of course she does: we'd all like a chance to babble on endlessly about our animal friends. But not to listen to others babblle about their (clearly inferior) ones.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3053 on: November 10, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »
JoanK, Barr's first and only job with the nat'l parks was at Natchez Trace.  Her first book while she was working there, and then she decided to write full time.

roshanarose

« Reply #3054 on: November 10, 2011, 08:56:52 PM »
Loved JoanK's comments about Conant's babble about her (clearly inferior) dogs.

I have just finished reading a murder mystery 'Unknown" by a Scandinavian writer (Swedish I think) by the name of Mari Jungstedt, and I am wondering if any of you have hearf of her.  The book.  The theme of the book is what drew me to it - Viking mythology and rites.  I enjoyed this book, but it ended a bit too abruptly, or was she close to the end all the way through?  Lots of characters (red herrings).  It is set on the island of Gotland.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

roshanarose

« Reply #3055 on: November 10, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »
Thank You MaryPage - I like to think that I am now a Bas Bleu in training - thanks to you for that wonderful link 8)
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3056 on: November 10, 2011, 10:23:13 PM »
Checked in bKindle. they have one by Jungstedt called "Unseen", but not "Unknown". Are they the same?

Steph

« Reply #3057 on: November 11, 2011, 06:23:29 AM »
 I love Bas Blue.. They have so many things that noone else seems to carry or care about. I buy from them a couple of times a year.. Good company. I am also doing ebay just now since one of my daughter in laws wants a corgi.. Tasha Tudor and I did find two on ebay for her.. Will ssave them for Christmas at this point.

Babi

« Reply #3058 on: November 11, 2011, 08:24:27 AM »
I think I've read something by Caleb Carr, MARYPAGE. I'll be interested
to see if any of the other authors are in my local library.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ursamajor

« Reply #3059 on: November 11, 2011, 09:39:17 AM »
Steph, Dave Robicheaux's firt two wives died.  In Tin Roof Blowdown he is so despairing after the death of his second wife Bootsie that it is depressing to read.  He is dealing with the aftermath of Katrina, Alafair has left for college, he has sold his fishing camp and he seems to have little left to live for.  I haven't read the latest books as I am no longer able to cope with some of the stories that are so sordid and ugly.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3060 on: November 11, 2011, 05:12:33 PM »
I picked up a book by Carol Higgens Clark, daughter of mary Higgens Clark. I've read her before, and liked her. But this one introduces so many characters so fast, with my problem with names, I'm already lost as to who is who.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3061 on: November 11, 2011, 08:50:40 PM »
I like her too, Joan. What's the title?....... Jean

roshanarose

« Reply #3062 on: November 11, 2011, 09:37:43 PM »
JoanK - There are three books she has written with somewhat confusing names "Unseen" and "Unspoken" and the one I just read, "Unknown".

I haven't read "Unseen" and "Unspoken" by Mari Jungstedt, but I intend to.

Steph

« Reply #3063 on: November 12, 2011, 06:12:07 AM »
Yes, I knew the three wives of Dave.. The last one is a former nun and considerably tougher than the first two.
Alafair,, he grew her up so fast.. No idea why.. The raccoon has been around forever though. I like him, but dislike Clete enormously.
But his real daughter is Alafair. He has at least one other child in real life, but he only uses Alafair. Who writes now and I like her books..

MaryPage

« Reply #3064 on: November 12, 2011, 08:27:26 AM »
I find that a bit confusing, but then, I have not read and am completely unknowing about the books.  Can you give me a sketch meant for someone totally ignorant?

Steph

« Reply #3065 on: November 13, 2011, 06:30:20 AM »
 James lee Burke has several series, but the main one is about
Dave Robichaix.. He is a policeman in a small Louisiana town, used to be a policeman in New Orleans.. Dave is very small town, very oriented toward honesty and fairness. His books are mysteries, but more than that social history. He tells you so much about Louisiana, the cajuns and the culture involved in politics in Louisiana. He has had three wives. His first along with an unborn baby were murdered by criminals who were seeking to kill him. His second
Bootsie, he had known when young and then remet as an adult in one of the mysteries. She had lupus and eventually died from a complication. He is now married to a ex nun.. Who is quite a tough minded woman.
Alafair his only child in the books ( James Lee does actually have a daughter named Alafair), was rescued from a plane that went down in the swamps. He was out in a boat, saw the baby and rescued her. All of the others were dead. She is actually South American. They live on a bayou for many years and he runs a bait and rental boat business. His best friend is a man named Clete, who is now a private detective, but who was originally a policeman. Clete is drunk.. violent and given to falling in love with some really unusual women. He hates the mob and tends to react violently about them.. Sometimes funny, sometimes not.. Does this help>>

Babi

« Reply #3066 on: November 13, 2011, 08:44:24 AM »
Helped me, STEPH. If I'm remembering correctly, I have read some James
Lee Burke, but they were from a different series that I could take or leave.
Dave Robichaux sounds better, esp. the social history, but I think I would
just as soon skip the first two wives.  Sounds like a bit too much tragedy.

MaryPage

« Reply #3067 on: November 13, 2011, 02:36:51 PM »
Thank you, Steph:  I can follow it now.

Well, sounds interesting and good, but too much tragedy.  I love, love, love that part of the country.  In fact, when I lived in Louisiana and knew those bayous so well, it truly seemed like a foreign country.  I loved the people and the music and the black waters and the whole thing.

But that was long ago and far away, in 1945.  I was 15 and 16 years old.

Steph

« Reply #3068 on: November 14, 2011, 06:07:13 AM »
I went to a teeny little libraries used book sale and found a Gregor Demarkian book. She has now stopped holidays and is doing locations.. Gregor is not even there yet.. But I will keep on..

MaryPage

« Reply #3069 on: November 14, 2011, 09:47:43 AM »
This coming Saturday night the LIFE channel is going to show a movie of a Jodie Picoult book called Salem Falls.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3070 on: November 15, 2011, 03:19:25 PM »
James Lee Burke's daughter Alafair writes mysteries too. The aren't like his: more police procedurals. I've read a couple, and they aren't bad.

Steph

« Reply #3071 on: November 16, 2011, 05:57:57 AM »
 Yes, Alafair is not a bad writer and not nearly as violent as her Dad.. Her first two were based on the west coast, where she lived at the time. Now they are eastern and I think either NY or Boston. I suspect she has moved herself.

Tomereader1

« Reply #3072 on: November 16, 2011, 11:27:50 AM »
Our f2f Mystery Book Club, which meets tonight, has been reading "Medicus" by Ruth Downie.  It is a mystery set in Roman occupied Britain.  The main character is Gaius Petreius Ruso, a Roman Army doctor.  The book has humor, is informative about that period in history and speaks to the skills of  Roman medical practitioners.
It is rather a CSI-Brittania!  But as I said, a lot of humor within.  This was the first book in the series by Downie.  She is, or was, a part-time librarian in England.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #3073 on: November 16, 2011, 11:35:05 AM »
My sister gave me Medicus for my birthday several years ago. It is still on my TBR pile.

Tomereader1

« Reply #3074 on: November 16, 2011, 01:36:41 PM »
Frybabe, do advance Medicus on your TBR pile!  Think you will enjoy it.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #3075 on: November 17, 2011, 06:11:14 AM »
will try for Downie on my swap club. Sounds neat and I love Lindsey Davis, so like to read about that sort of history.

Frybabe

« Reply #3076 on: November 17, 2011, 08:42:44 AM »
I am in the middle of reading Lindsey Davis's Alexandria. Of course the main action is set in the Great Library. Unfortuately, I think it is rather bland so far. It won't be bumping anything out of my top three Didius Falco faves. I haven't learned much new except one or two of the rules/policies at the Great Library and that there was more than one library in Alexandria. At the moment Falco and wife are viewing a temple to a "synthetic" god, Serapis, who was a replacement husband for Osiris in non-Egyptian temples. Courtesy of Ptolemy I, it was an attempt to replace Egyptian gods by an integration of Greek and Egyptian gods. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serapis

Babi

« Reply #3077 on: November 17, 2011, 08:58:35 AM »
 "Medicus" sounds interesting, TOME. I'll see if my library has it. Is this
Downie's first book, or just the first in this series?

mabel1015j

« Reply #3078 on: November 17, 2011, 12:52:31 PM »
I just checked my library for Downie, apparently all of her books that they have are set in the Roman Empire. Interesting. I wonder what would lead a mystery author to think of that setting and then to concentrate on it. Of course, if you've done a lot of research on a period or a place, i guess it shortens the task to continue w/ that subject.

Reading a Sharone McCone. This one is set in Idaho(?) or whereever up there where her husband lives, not San Fran. I can't get the sequence straight from the other book i read of her because she wasn't married in the first book, but i seem to remember that she was wudowed, so i can't decide if it's before or after this book. Guess i need to take a "trip" to Fantastic Fiction and get the sequence of books - that makes sense doesn't it?  ???

Jeanh

Tomereader1

« Reply #3079 on: November 17, 2011, 01:20:57 PM »
Babi, Medicus is the first book in the series by Ruth  Downie.  There are three others currently in print, with a fifth one coming out "soon".
We did our book group bit about it last night, and had a really good time with it.  One reviewer (in the U.K I think) gave her a non-positive review!  There are a couple of places where the research could've been a bit more careful, but all in all, hey, we read these things for enjoyment, right?  LOL.

André Maurois