Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897830 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #3080 on: November 17, 2011, 03:51:51 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

I'm hooked on the "Medicus" series: I've read the first three.

There was a similiar series started about Greece, that I mentioned here, and forgot to write down the author. Does anyone remember?

Steph

« Reply #3081 on: November 18, 2011, 06:19:54 AM »
Sharon McCone.. She is married to Hy..Ripinsky, I think is his last name.. I dont think he died?? although I may not be up to the current books..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #3082 on: November 18, 2011, 08:26:38 AM »
 TOME, I checked, and my library doesn't have "Medicus". Neither does the
pb swap club. I'll need to widen my search.
  I did see a Sharon McCone book.  I'd like to know more about what type of
stories she writes before I tackle her.  She seems to have written several.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Tomereader1

« Reply #3083 on: November 18, 2011, 11:07:17 AM »
Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone series has been translated into eight languages and there are 2 million copies in print. Recipient of the Private Eye Writers of America Life Achievement Award, she lives in northern California. The Women's Press has 16 Marcia Muller titles in print, including Listen to the Silence, A Wild and Lonely Place and Ask the Cards a Question.
Muller is married to mystery author, Bill Pronzini.  Her detective, Sharon McCone, is not a "hard-boiled detective", but gets herself embroiled in some tight spots. She solves murders, and other crimes. Not cozies by any means, but exceptionally readable mysteries.
Try one, preferably an "early" one, so you know where she's coming from.  I think you'll like them.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3084 on: November 18, 2011, 11:56:37 PM »
I like the early ones a lot better than the later ones, some of which I find unreadable. But muller is really the "founding mother" of the "tough gal" mystery genre: adapting the "tough guy" style of Dashill Hammit and others to women detectives. Grafton, Paretsky, and the many others have followed. I'm very grateful to Muller.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3085 on: November 19, 2011, 12:01:05 AM »
It's interesting to me that a difference between the "tough guys" and the "tough gals" is that the tough gals always have some sort of family. They may have as much trouble with romamtic relationships as the tough guys but there is always someone, friends, neighbors, or co-workers, who cares about them while the "tough guys" always end up alone.

Steph

« Reply #3086 on: November 19, 2011, 06:31:58 AM »
 Ilike Marcia Muller.. Sharon is an interesting quite complicated woman.. It is best to start with early ones and work forward, since she does have a continuing story line.. There is a basic honestly about Sharon that makes her very human.

Babi

« Reply #3087 on: November 19, 2011, 09:07:13 AM »
  I see that Marcia Muller has written so many books, I'm surprised I don't remember
having read one of hers.  I did read a book called "Vanishing Point", but since there
are a number of books with that title I don't know whether it was hers I read.
  My library has a lot of the books, I see, including some of the earliest ones. I'll
certainly be checking her out.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

MaryPage

« Reply #3088 on: November 19, 2011, 10:18:10 PM »
I have a humongous library of books collected over the years.  Once I have read them, I give all of the fiction and some of the history and biography and other stuff away.  Some nonfiction and all reference materials I keep.

I have stored hundreds and hundreds of paperback mysteries purchased because I wanted to read them, but unread for the most part simply because I buy them faster than any human COULD read them.

Thus your continued conversation about Marcia Muller made me wonder if I could possibly NOT have at least one, if she has been around for so long.  I keep these books alphabetically by author, or I would go mad.  The paperback mysteries take up 2 shelves of very large bookcases, and they are 3 volumes deep in each shelf.  I found a Marcia Muller!  It was published in 1990 and is titled:  "Trophies and Dead Things."  I have taken it into my bedroom and placed it on the revolving stack of the next to be reads.  Will let you know what I think of her.

Steph

« Reply #3089 on: November 20, 2011, 06:17:51 AM »

Ah, yes,, the "I like the author, therefore I want the book" syndrome.. I have more books than I will ever read, but it makes me happy to see them.. Like you, I go digging for a specific person or author now and then..

Frybabe

« Reply #3090 on: November 20, 2011, 08:34:43 AM »
I'm convinced it's an addiction. Aside from all the physical TBR piles, I now have 14 pages of books listed on my Kindle. My newest Kindle acquisitions are The Mill House, a fiction/mystery, and a non-fiction called The Ripple Effect which is about our growing water supply problems. There is another one, too, but I have forgotten the name, off-hand.

Has anyone noticed that some of the Kindle e-books are costing more than the new paperback editions? The only reason I shelled out for The Ripple Effect was because I didn't want to wait for the paperback to come out. I wonder if I downloaded the Kindle app for the computer and burned it and the new books to a DVD or CD if they would work. I don't completely trust the Internet to keep my paid for books from disappearing eventually. I am guessing the coding in the books will prevent making a personal copy for backup.

Babi

« Reply #3091 on: November 20, 2011, 10:13:03 AM »
Really, you guys are beginning to remind me of those women with a thousand pairs
of shoes. A fortune invested in those shoes, and no way on earth they are being worn.
If you lived in a small town with no library, what a boon you would be as a lending
library. ::)

Book junkies?  Bookies?  What would be a good name for a book addict, FRYBABE?

Frybabe

« Reply #3092 on: November 20, 2011, 10:22:54 AM »
And here my Dad joked that I would grow up to be a bookie. Not because I loved to read, but because when I was younger I loved horses and was really into my bookkeeping classes at school. (Yes, I know. Bookies were definitely illegal back then.)  ;D  Kindle makes it way too easy to download all those old classics and lesser knowns that I previously missed reading. With the advent of online bookstores and e-readers, George can no longer drag me out of the "store" before I get too carried away. I have yet to try the e-library feature at my Library.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #3093 on: November 20, 2011, 11:04:28 AM »
The ebook prices seem to be set by the Agency of 5 publishers who have control over the price they're sold for. At least on the Nook, they're cheaper than a hardcover, so tend to be in the $9.99 - $14.95 range  when brand new and then the price may lower when the paperback is available.

The Nook price for that book is  $12.99
so would guess that's close to the Kindle price as well.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/09/class-action-suit-filed-against-apple-and-5-book-publishers-over-e-book-pricing/

If you're interested, do a google on Agency5 and ebook pricing and you'll find lots of info.

jane

MaryPage

« Reply #3094 on: November 20, 2011, 11:51:46 AM »
We are each and every one of us wired just a wee bit differently from every other one of us.  I am convinced the whole thing is in the brain wiring, some of which is genetic and prenatal and some of which is laid down by trails of experience.

I have considered myself extremely fortunate in that I have not been burdened with destructive addictions on my own part in my life.  No drugs (actually, have never so much as tried one), no alcohol (not ideology, but personal taste;  I have 1 eggnog at Christmas, 1 Mimosa on special occasions, that sort of thing), no tobacco (smoked lightly for 40 years.  Gave it up for the last time in 1983.), and not a shopper or spendthrift.

There has always been a huge problem of a very demanding sweet tooth;  thus a very slender girl has been overweight since age 35.  Never obese, but I am ashamed of my weight which is 30 pounds over the desired.

But books are my comfort, my first necessity, my fire wall of safety, my everything.  I mean that quite literally.  I would give up all I own, including my books and my health, for my family.  I do love them sooooo very much.  But I have to tell you the truth, I prefer to see them and catch up with them briefly and then, well, then be left alone with my books.  I swear.  This is who I am.

MaryPage

« Reply #3095 on: November 20, 2011, 11:59:42 AM »
I was an only child until I was 15.  Also, a very neglected child.  Oh, I had a good home (lots of them!) and clothes and food and always someone to look after my needs.  But I was pretty much left to myself.  Hours upon hours alone in my room;  especially in bad weather.  So I read.  I read everything I was ever given and everything in the house, even a World War One encyclopedia that was over 20 volumes!  My dad had inherited it from his dad, and hey, there was nothing else to hand some days!

I would go from door to door in the neighborhood;  I most specially remember doing this that long summer of 1940 in Fort Knox, Kentucky.  Have you any books I can borrow?  I will bring them RIGHT BACK!

I must have been a dreadful nuisance.  But they loaned them to me, three and four books at a time.  And I always returned them within a day or two.

I expect it was that deep sense of neediness that burned trails of need in my brain wiring.  I think that is why I will need these walls of books around me until I take my last breath. Panic sets in at the thought of being left without something to read!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3096 on: November 20, 2011, 12:31:39 PM »
MaryPage - I am exactly the same, I was and still am an only child and I read like fury all through the holidays, evenings, etc.  Your description of your little self doing the rounds of the town asking for books to read reminds me so much of Matilda in the Roald Dahl book - in the film she comes home from the library every day with her little truckload of books, and as Dahl so beautifully says 'these books sent her a hopeful and comforting message; "You are not alone".'

I also feel the same about people.  I would move heaven and earth for my beloved family, but I still treasure the hours that they are all out of the house, when I can read and write in the silence.

Frybabe, I think it must be an addiction. I know I would need a dozen lifetimes to read all the books I already have, but I rarely come back from a sale or a trip to the charity shops without one - or several - books hidden in my bag.

My MIL has just sent me Death Comes to Pemberley for my birthday.  I haven't started it yet but it's had very good reviews.

Rosemary

salan

« Reply #3097 on: November 20, 2011, 01:05:28 PM »
I suspect most of us that frequent this web site are "bookaholics".  I think I must have been born reading because I can't remember learning to read!  I keep promising myself that I will not buy anymore books until I make a dent in my TBR pile, but........My mother was an elementary school teacher who also loved to read.  We lived in the country and during the summer she would take us to the library in town once a week to check out books.  There was a 2 book rule; but the librarian knew how much I loved reading, so she allowed me to check out as many as I wanted. 

There was a book that I checked out several times each summer (unfortunately, I can't remember the name--something about grandmother's rocking chair).  Imagine my grief when I went to check it out only to discover that it had worn out and the librarian disposed of it and didn't replace it.  I wish I could remember the name as I would love to read it now and discover what it was about that particular book that spoke to me.

Sally

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3098 on: November 20, 2011, 03:11:11 PM »
Mary Page: I think you have described all of us: no alcohol, drugs, only two pairs of shoes, but books.....

It doesn't matter if you're an only child or not. My twin (PatH) and I spent our childhood reading, along with our librarian mother and bookaholic father. In our house, you had to clear the books off a chair before you could sit down. When mom called "dinner", everyone ran for a book to read at the table.

We also played: there were lots of kids in the neighborhood. But I was often seen walking along reading a book while going to a friends house to ask if she could play.

I gave away a lot of my books when I moved. And I love my kindle: in less than a year, I've accumulated 200 books, along with about 5 books a week from the library. I just started a book about a woman who vowed to read a book each day for a year. If you count e-books, I'll bet I'm not too far behind.

I watch the prices on the kindle books. The first month I had my kindle, I spent more than the kindle cost on books. Now I really ration myself. But there are a lot of cheap e-book mystery series. They are cheap (3-5$) but short -- I can read two in a night if I have trouble sleeping.

Other mysteries you can often get cheaper used on Amazon, even with the shipping.

Steph

« Reply #3099 on: November 21, 2011, 06:04:18 AM »
I grew up in the country, so my pony , dogs and cats, sheep,goats,rabbits were my first friends.. But I read from the age of four and loved books. There was always a book in my saddlebag when I went out in the summer. A sandwich, a piece of fruit, water and a book..
As an adult, we moved and moved and moved.. Somewhere I lost my ability to simply step into a new group of friends and now struggle with my hermit tendency..My books are my treasures. My sons tell me, that their most vivid memories of their Mom was with a book in my hand.. They knew it was safe to ask for risky stuff if I was deep in a book.. Oh well. they survived and so do I.

Babi

« Reply #3100 on: November 21, 2011, 09:14:50 AM »
 At our age, MARYPAGE, I think we should be allowed. Books are so restful, and surely
we have earned some rest!
 I was not neglected, but we moved so frequently that I never had a long-time friend.
I'd meet new friends, and then move away and never see them again. So I, too, became something of a loner. I never learned the art of fostering friendships, so you may imagine how much the 'friends' I have made here mean to me. We had close relatives, for which I am grateful. But any lasting relationship I had was with people who were very outgoing and friendly, making up for my solitary habits.
 Have any of you ever spent time up a tree, stretched out on a limb and reading
happily?  The best of two of my favorite things...books and trees.

MaryPage

« Reply #3101 on: November 21, 2011, 12:41:03 PM »
Yes, I have had that great experience, Babi.  My dad was stationed on River & Harbor Duty 1938-1940 in Jacksonville, Florida.  We rented a large home in the Ortega section there, right on the St. John's River.  We had several very large Live Oak trees in the side and back yards, and one of them was perfect for climbing up and reading in.  It had such a meeting of the huge limbs up there aways that it was almost like a bumpy table, and quite cozy for my nine to eleven year old little body to be comfy in to read.

I am grateful for the 2 years of tropical experience I had in Florida, but have never wanted to retire there, as have so many of my friends.  My dear friend Sue, who had brittle diabetes and was cold all the time, insisted she and Himself leave the West Virginia mountains he loved so much and move to Ft. Myers, which they did.  After 10 years there ended in her death, he was more than happy to be back here in 4-season country.

Tomereader1

« Reply #3102 on: November 21, 2011, 02:46:01 PM »
oh, dear!  Reading in a tree!  I did that so awfully much when I was very young.  I was even known (in later years, about teens) to go from tree limb to roof top and read there, if it wasn't too hot. (basically flat roof, mind you on one-story house)  Also, any little "cubby-like" place,  say an opening to a rear door in the old apts.which were accessed only thru inside entry (old fashioned apts.)
Usually no light bulb there, but a flashlight sufficed!  Whee, bringin' back those memories.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

salan

« Reply #3103 on: November 21, 2011, 06:29:47 PM »
We lived in the country and I had a ''pesky" younger sister.  I frequently climbed trees so I could read in peace and quiet!  Thanks for bringing back the memories, Babi.  I must call my little sister and remind her!
Sally

mabel1015j

« Reply #3104 on: November 21, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »
My "outside" reading spots were in the porch swing either at my house or at my sister's (she's 15 yrs older than me, so she was married when i was five). My other two siblings were 8 and 11 yrs older than me so i was like an only child and got to spend a lot of time reading.

Steph

« Reply #3105 on: November 22, 2011, 06:25:48 AM »
Trees.. reading...
Oh yes, we lived in the country and had a wide variety of trees. We also had mulberry trees, no reading in them, but oh m,e an afternoon of hiding in the mulberry tree, coming down basically purple from head and foot and then trying to figure out how my mother knew where I had been..

Babi

« Reply #3106 on: November 22, 2011, 08:53:47 AM »
 Yeah, STEPH,.. go figure. :D

I've started the first Julian Kestrel book, a series someone here suggested.
I'm enjoying the period setting in Georgian England; I always do like a good
historical background.  I was amused by the 11-yr. old girl who deplores the
loss of royal dignity and dash,  now that England had the 'dull, fat Germans'
ruling.  Oh,yes, ..the title of the first book is "Cut to the Quick".

marjifay

« Reply #3107 on: November 22, 2011, 09:38:53 AM »
I'll give Kate Ross's Julian Keshel mystery, Cut to the Quick, a try.  Sounds good, Babi.

I recently finished FEAST DAY OF FOOLS by James Lee Burke, my first by him.  Best mystery I've read in a long time.  Excellent writer.

Am currently reading a terrific mystery, THE KEEPER OF LOST CAUSES by Jussi Adlelr-Olsen, a Danish author.  Great hard-to-put-down book.  Love his dry humor.  This book will be discussed in December in the Yahoo group, 4_Mystery_Adicts, my favorite group for finding good mysteries to read.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #3108 on: November 23, 2011, 05:30:55 AM »
 I like historical mysteries. Will look up Julian Kestral..

Babi

« Reply #3109 on: November 23, 2011, 08:46:36 AM »
Oh, great, MARJ. Now, with a book Ella just mentioned elsewhere, I
have THREE new books for my book list. (Just what I needed.)  :-\  ;D

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3110 on: November 23, 2011, 03:28:58 PM »
Well, Christmas IS coming. And what is Christmas for, if not to exchange books?

Steph

« Reply #3111 on: November 27, 2011, 10:41:40 AM »
slowly it turns.. Wow.. I cannot believe how slow the site is today.
I take my read books down to one of my dil's.. She has several sisters and they share them out.. I always laugh at the requests of.. do you ever read//// The answer for the youngest sister. is NO.. I really never read romance novels.. She adores them..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3112 on: November 27, 2011, 03:53:07 PM »
The 18th Stephanie Plum book is out. My kids and I are making our usual pact to share the cost of one copy and pass it around. Thet aren't as good as they used to be, but we're still loyal.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #3113 on: November 27, 2011, 06:07:21 PM »
I don't know what happened, but the site is now moving along for me. Whatever it is, I hope it continues!!

jane

Steph

« Reply #3114 on: November 28, 2011, 06:06:11 AM »
 Oh my, yes, the site is now a speedy one again.Thank heaven.. I am reading a true crime just ow.. It is the one written by the prosecuter of the Casey Anthony thing.. Imperfect Justice.. Interesting..

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #3115 on: November 29, 2011, 10:51:35 AM »
Steph, I am about 54 on the reserve list for "Imperfect Justice".  I am so looking forward to reading it.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3116 on: November 29, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »
I am thoroughly enjoying Patrick McManus' series on Sheriff Bo Tully. I am reading my second one "Avalanche". There are only four, i think this will be a series i will be sorry to have come to an end.
 P. Mc has been a humorist, writing columns for Outdoor Life Mag for years. His writing puts me right into the story. I can hear the midwestern twang - Idaho. The dialogue is funny, particularly between son Bo and his father who was the previous sheriff and had few boundaries in his dealing w/ "criminals", a trait that can be funny when it's fiction.

I just had a thought - these books are sort of a male, rural version of Evavovich's Stephanie Plum series. That might be a stretch, but it came to mind that i laugh outloud while reading both series.

He has a lot of non-fiction listed in Fantasy Fiction. I suppose some are collections of his columns. I have to check that out.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3117 on: November 29, 2011, 01:48:01 PM »
Yes, some are McManus' columns, but others seem to be stand alone, funny books about camping, hunting and other outdoor events.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/patrick-f-mcmanus/

Jean

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #3118 on: November 29, 2011, 05:05:35 PM »
Patrick McManus'  books about the outdoors are filled with humor and were great for getting teenage boys who weren't great readers to find something that wasn't too long to be intimidating and was filled with humor about "male stuff"...outdoors, camping, etc.

Steph

« Reply #3119 on: November 30, 2011, 06:19:20 AM »
The McManus mysteries sound fun. I tried one of the collected columns books years ago, but am not into hunting fishing etc.