Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 898301 times)

rosemarykaye

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #4680 on: January 16, 2013, 04:25:44 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Finally finished Louise Penny's The Beautiful Mystery.  I usually read her books in a few days as I like them so much, but I have to say I struggled with this one - has anyone else read it?

It's all set in a remote monastery in Quebec, so none of the Three Pines characters appear - just Gamache, Beauvoir and Francoeur.  The monks are world experts at Gregorian chant, about which Penny clearly knows a lot, but boy does she make sure she tells you. The book could have been half its length.  She has also taken the idea of writing short sentences for effect to a ridiculous extreme - almost every other sentence consists of only 3 or 4 words - I started wanting to get out a red pencil and delete some of the full stops.  I think it's a shame when writers become so successful that publishers appear afraid to edit them.  I'd still read her next book, but I hope it's a return to form.  Disappointing.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #4681 on: January 16, 2013, 06:07:33 AM »
Oh me, Jeanne.. Never ever heard that..My husband was Thomas Frederick, but he was called "Tim" from babyhood on.. His Mother would not discuss why..Weird to me.. But convenient. We knew if a phone call came to Thomas, they did not know him..
Still slogging on V is for by Grafton. I will finish, but really am disappointed. Not one of her better books.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

CubFan

« Reply #4682 on: January 16, 2013, 09:50:14 AM »
Rosemary -

I agree!!!!!  Historically the the chant information appears to be correct and was a new topic for me. Her writing style - prepositional phrases used as sentences drove me nuts. I was disappointed as I liked her other books so much. I need to find one of her previous books to see if she wrote the same way & I missed it because I was so into the story line or if this was something new.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4683 on: January 16, 2013, 12:26:04 PM »
Thanks Mary - glad it's not just me!  It's got some very good reviews on Amazon UK, but there are a few less enthusiastic ones.  I'll have a look back myself, will be interesting to see if she's changed or it's just us.

Rosemary

salan

« Reply #4684 on: January 16, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »
I read Still Life by Louise Penny and really enjoyed it.  I immediately put her other books in this series on my tbr list; then forgot about them.  Thanks for reminding me.  I now have her 2nd (A Fatal Grace) on hold at my library.  I will pick it up tomorrow when I go in for my ftf book club.
Sally

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4685 on: January 16, 2013, 12:40:55 PM »
Sally, I felt they kept on getting better and better - until this last one.  Let us know what you think. 

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #4686 on: January 16, 2013, 12:45:32 PM »
My mother used to swear that one of her contemporaries, in her youth, was named:
SallyAnn, Maryann, Elizabeth Jane, Alameda Foster, Moriah Paine. Now whether this was true or not, I would have no idea.  May've been just a cute rhyme that kids learned back then.  What strikes me is that I am in my 70's now, and I can still recall the names. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #4687 on: January 17, 2013, 06:27:02 AM »
Things learned as a child stick with you. I can still recite.. Captain,Oh Captain and The Midnight ride.. Don't want to, but can.. Oh dear, I adore Penney and was waiting on this last one. I will read it, but hopefully this is just a show off stage.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4688 on: January 17, 2013, 06:29:51 AM »
Steph - you may well like it, lots of reviewers on Amazon did, and so did my friend and blogger Lesa Holstine.  I'll be interested to hear your opinion.

Rosemary

marjifay

« Reply #4689 on: January 17, 2013, 10:45:42 AM »
I haven't read any of Louise Penny's mysteries since STILL LIFE.  I got to page 99 and then tossed it.   IMO she brought in way too many people, most of whom were not interesting enough to try to keep track of.  I found the  plot boring, espec. when she had the inspector and a bunch of the people going into a long uninteresting discussion of bows and arrows.  And I felt Penny tried too hard to be philosophical and "deep" in a boring story.  Maybe her later stories got better.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4690 on: January 17, 2013, 11:30:15 AM »
I agree, Marjifay, I found Still Life rather slow and boring at times - her later novels did get much better, but this last one has definitely bucked the trend IMO.

Rosemary

marjifay

« Reply #4691 on: January 17, 2013, 02:35:17 PM »
Thanks, Rosemary.  Maybe Ill try one of Penny's later novels one of these days.

I just finished one I would not recommend, THE STONECUTTER by Camilla Lackberg. I only finished it to find out who the murderer was.  You might like it if you like long melodramas of 500 pages, but the writing was just so-so. The plot was rather clever altho a little complicated.  But unless the writing is really good, I'll stick with mysteries of 300-350 pp.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #4692 on: January 17, 2013, 05:28:47 PM »
 TOME, reading those names out loud, the meter and the rhyming of Jane and Paine
make me suspect it was just some rhyme that the youngsters found amusing.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #4693 on: January 18, 2013, 06:30:06 AM »
It depends on the mystery writer.. I love Elizabeth George, but oh me, her books are long.. Recently I have seemed to  have quite a few books that the author was padding by introducing subjects that had nothing to do with the plot..

MaryPage

« Reply #4694 on: January 18, 2013, 01:39:17 PM »
Well, Marjifay, I am disappointed you did not like Camilla Lackberg.  She is much to my taste, and I have loved all of her books.

Steph

« Reply #4695 on: January 19, 2013, 06:17:43 AM »
I am read The Good Thief in Los Vegas.. Not as good thus far as the Good Thief in Amsterdam, but hopefully will pick up..

marjifay

« Reply #4696 on: January 19, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Sorry, MaryPage, perhaps I made Camilla Lackberg's  the Stonecutter, sound worse than it is.  The plot and the writing were good enough so that I finished it. I just felt it was way too long, because of all the red herrings she threw in.  I'll be interested to see what the Yahoo group, 4_Mystery_Addicts, says about her first two, The Ice Princess and The Preacher, when they discuss them February 15 and March 15.

Marj

mabel1015j

« Reply #4697 on: January 19, 2013, 02:04:17 PM »
I tried 2 of Paul Levin's Florida based mysteries, of the Solomon and Lord series. The first one, Solomon and Lord, explaining how Solomon (uncouth, out-of-bounds male defense atty) and Lord (proper female prosecuting atty) get together to form a law partnership. Very predictable, a little entertaining. The second one starts out sounding like they are going to break up the firm, his exotic, bad boy behavior seems to have lost its intrique. But it's boring me.

The two books appear to be following the "romance" formula. "Boy meets girl, they can't stand each other/she can't stand him, they fall in love, they break up, they get back together." i've read too many of those. Maybe i've lived and read too long.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4698 on: January 19, 2013, 02:19:40 PM »
No matter how many McCall Smith books I read, i always find I've missed one. Picked up "the Dog Who came in from the Cold." Seems I missed an earlier one in the series.

It's very talky: if you like the Philosophy Club series, you might like this. I'm in the mood for it: it's so slow, unlike my life right now. But don't know whether to recommend it. His attempt at  spy novel.

Steph

« Reply #4699 on: January 20, 2013, 06:28:42 AM »
The good thief got really stupid, so I gave it up.. Shame, the first one was excellent. Picked up the new Robert Crais.. Seems a bit more violent than I had hoped.This  is supposed to be an Elvis novel, but Joe Pike is there and when he is there, things get violent.

Babi

« Reply #4700 on: January 20, 2013, 08:56:56 AM »
"Maybe i've lived and read too long."

Never, JEAN! It's simply that not all authors/books are worthy of our time and attention. Fortunately, we don't have to read them.  ;D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Phyll

« Reply #4701 on: January 20, 2013, 10:31:03 AM »
Sorry to be a contrarian but I enjoyed The Beautiful Mystery very much.  Especially enjoyed her use of a different setting.  There were getting to be too many murders in Three Pines for such a small village.  Scary place!  ;)  I liked the obscure monastery setting and found the subject of Gregorian Chants to be really interesting.  Her historical research is wonderful!  I don't think this book is my favorite by Louise Penney but it was still a very good one.

I always think of McCall Smith as a "gentle author".  Most of the time I enjoy his talky, slow moving, philosophical books.  Not always.  It depends on my mood.
phyllis

nlhome

« Reply #4702 on: January 20, 2013, 12:12:56 PM »
Phyll, I agree about McCall Smith. In the right mood, I really do enjoy his books.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4703 on: January 20, 2013, 03:05:50 PM »
I agree. Yesterday, I was really in the mood for his quiet philosophy. Other times, it drives me crazy.

marjifay

« Reply #4704 on: January 20, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »
Just finished Michael Connelly's THE BLACK BOX.  His books just keep on being great mystery/thrillers.  This one was another page turner with my favorite detective, Hieronymous "Harry" Bosch (he was named after the Dutch painter).

I love Bosch's taste in jazz (of course it is really Connelly's love).  Connelly is too young to have visited the famous jazz club, The Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach, CA in the 1950s and 1960s, but I'm sure he knows of it.  We used to visit there often back then when jazz greats were playing -- Shorty Rogers, Chet Baker, Bud Shank, Miles Davis, Shelly Manne and so many others.  Wonderful cool California jazz.

Marj

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4705 on: January 20, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »
Have 2 books sitting here now for my next reading.McCall Smith "The  Importance of being seven" and "The time in Between" by David Bergen. Takes place in Vietnam.  It I just started.  
I have had a few books lately that I just did not finish reading. Not by Authors I am use to but some I didn't know.  Some bad one out there.

salan

« Reply #4706 on: January 20, 2013, 06:53:08 PM »
I am reading Louise Penny's A Fatal Grace.  I think it is the 2nd in the Still Pines series.  I am enjoying it. 
Sally

Steph

« Reply #4707 on: January 21, 2013, 06:30:29 AM »
Finished  V is for Vengence.. What a disappointment.. She wandered all over the place.. Bad people.. Kinsey was being silly in many cases.. All in all not good.

Babi

« Reply #4708 on: January 21, 2013, 09:31:07 AM »
 I agree, PHYLL. Too many things happening in one small town is a frequent problem
with mystery series. Where everyone pretty much knows everyone else, it doesn't
seem likely there would be a large number of murders. Equally unlikely that if
someone does get killed, everyone would not know who was most likely to have done
it. Of course, it's equally unlikely that you're going to have a law enforcement
team where everyone is handsome/beautiful, witty, clever, and highly observant.
I may thoroughly enjoy the wit, but the 'reality' standard slips considerably.  ;)

Alas, MARJ, my youth was so very dull. The home/school/marriage line-up was much
 too rapid, I fear.  As best I recall, the only music I really heard, outside church,
was the school band at a football game.  Great horn player; I remember that.

marjifay

« Reply #4709 on: January 21, 2013, 10:29:39 AM »
Babi wrote "As best I recall, the only music I really heard, outside church,
was the school band at a football game.  Great horn player; I remember that."

Funny, Babi.  Actually I was into jazz when I was married.  Did you ever try to play a musical instrument?  I loved music, but was a dud at playing it, altho' I took piano lessons when I was young (just about everyone did), and again when I was older.  Also tried to learn classical guitar which I loved to listen to.   My two sons love music and they are both good guitar players, but they got that from their father and grandmother.  (She was a darling -- had played in an all-women orchestra and would remove her false teeth and blow a really mean clarinet.)

Marj

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4710 on: January 21, 2013, 01:27:49 PM »
A author (New) from my home town in Rochdale.UK has just had a book put out on Amazon (Kindle) I don't have one but would like to check it out.  It is free right now. Called NRPD. The meanstreets. by Nick Burrill.  Sort of stand for North Rochdale Police Dept. after the NYPD TV show we have.  Must be a Murder  Want  to know about my Hometown give it a try.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4711 on: January 21, 2013, 10:31:21 PM »
Got a sample for my kindle ($3.99).

Steph

« Reply #4712 on: January 22, 2013, 06:31:46 AM »
Always fun to find an author who uses places you know as the setting.. However I once picked up a mystery by two women that was supposed to be at the beach town, where we lived. They had obviously never even been there and it was so darned inaccurate, I could not finish it.. Plus it was a romance in a thin disguise.. I do dislike those..

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4713 on: January 22, 2013, 06:38:14 AM »
Steph - that reminds me of that awful book I read last year by Gayle Wigglesworth,  Supposed to be a mystery set on a coach tour of England, but it was the England of a tourist brochure, absolute nonsense - and the dialects were stereotypical embarrassments.

When an author gets it right, it's a great pleasure to recognise places.  Ian Rankin & Alexander McCall Smith do Edinburgh so well, Stuart MacBride is equally good on Aberdeen (though far too gory for me), and Maeve Binchy is great on Southern Ireland.  Donna Leon portrays Venice and Venetian life brilliantly.

There is a website called Trip Fiction that lists and reviews novels set in particular places - I like it:

http://www.tripfiction.com/

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #4714 on: January 22, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »
 Alas, MARJ, I did take lessons, briefly, on the guitar when I was very
young. Too young, I suspect. They didn't last long. All I can claim for
myself, musically, is I seem to have a good ear. I always know a sour note
when I hear one, and I usually cringe.
 One of my favorite pastors had a tin ear, and loved to use a particular parishioner both in our choir and when we had special guests. The man had a deep, lovely speaking voice, but sadly, he couldn't carry a tune. I was so embarassed when he was the 'star' of our
musical entertainment for guests, but of course no one would be unkind enough
to say anything to him or the pastor.

I am reading a Joanna Fluke just now for my bedtime reading. It's light
and entertaining, but much like what STEPH describes. It's supposed to be
a mystery, but solving the murder is thinly spread throughout the book. The
local gossip network and the cookie recipes are the main thread. 

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4715 on: January 22, 2013, 06:41:24 PM »
I think that Barb. Bradford Taylor did good in "Woman of Substance" she covered Yorkshire and the areas I knew  correct.  Also the way of life there at that time.1930/40s

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4716 on: January 22, 2013, 06:46:30 PM »
JoanK.

I guess that some are getting it for free.  Have some kind of a deal because they do buy a lot of books on Amazon for their Readers.

Ask me a few question once you get into it and we will see if he is
doing it right.
I think he is now living in Ireland.  I hear that after things going great in Ireland now things are not to good and homes etc. selling back at the old prices. Also cost of living going down.
I am going to have to visit again.  I love Ireland.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4717 on: January 23, 2013, 04:15:52 AM »
Jeanne, I haven't been to Ireland for a number of years now, but I used to spend Christmasses there with a very good friend before I was married.  Her family farmed outside Dungarvan, Co Waterford, and she is now married to another local farmer - in between she travelled the world and did all sorts of things, but now she is back to her roots.

She has told me that the economy is disastrous over there - I do myself remember the boom time, when every farmer was throwing up 'villas' on every available patch of land - now many of these stand empty, either never bought, or repossessed by the banks when people have defaulted on their mortgages.  When I first visited Ireland in the early 1980s, it was still a poor agricultural economy - I had never seen houses without electricity, for example, or people drying their laundry on bushes (not everyone lived like that, but it was still commonplace in the countryside.)  However, there was a huge sense of family (and huge families) and most people seemed OK and happy.  I think the economy just mushroomed far too fast.  There were also huge EEC grants given out, Ireland being one of the early members of the Common Market, - many new roads were built, farmers were given massive subsidies. It is sad to see it all go wrong.

One of the reasons I love Light A Penny Candle so much is that it could have been about my friend & I (though it's set several decades earlier) - the London girl turning up on the Irish farm, and the subsequent lives of her and her Irish friend. It is all very true to the way of life at that time.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #4718 on: January 23, 2013, 06:30:02 AM »
Rosemary, oh my,, my grandparents on my Dads side did not have electricity or inside toilets .. They did have inside water from an old fashioned handpump.. My Grandfather did not believe it was healthy to have a bathroom in the house and did not trust electricity.. He would have a telephone,, He had an old truck.. He farmed the way his Amish neighbors did..
I did love Light a Penny Candle.. Reminded me of a calmer gentler time.

marjifay

« Reply #4719 on: January 23, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »
Oh Steph, I lived like your grandparents with no electricity or inside bathroom, with only a water pump at the kitchen sink, after my parents decided that wanted to farm and moved us to a small Iowa farm when I was in the 7th grade.  I hated it and the school there, and could hardly wait to "get out of Dodge" and move to Des Moines after graduation from high school. 

Marj