Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 898302 times)

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #4720 on: January 23, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Last family member (Other than my cousins in UK are from Ireland and go back all the time). But my Granddaughter went to London and Paris for her honeymoon 5 years ago. No time to go Ireland and so went back for year anniversary..
 I had told them what to see and where to go. They stayed mostly in Dublin and did not care for it at all.  Noisy all night around their Hotel. Lots of drunks late at night.  She loves London. Gets a little put out because her husband has to go  often to their Main office.  She has the twins only 2 years old.

All the times we went. (Eloped there the first time and the Priest sent me home.) But other times then just went all around the Island and loved it all. Don't know if I would find it changed. Suppose so because people got earning lots more money in the 80s,90s.  Say that not happening now.

Steph

« Reply #4721 on: January 24, 2013, 06:22:58 AM »
I have picked up from my TBR pile..Barbary Dogs.. A novel about San Francisco..Supposed to be a mystery, but sort of a ghost story mystery...A bit too much twee and a lot too much drug types. Written by a woman,but she writes more like a man . I cannot decide how I feel about the book, but am keeping on because it is sort of interesting and I cannot figure out where she is going here. Book is downstairs.. I gather she has done an earlier book.. Cynthia.... something and the earlier book was The Dog Park??
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #4722 on: January 24, 2013, 09:57:14 AM »
 MARJ, I can well imagine how a 7th grader would take to moving from a city to a farm. I hope the time there held some good things. My valley (Rio Grande) cousins lived in an orchard (their Dad managed it) and loved the country life. Rode horses, played softball, barefoot and tanned.

Ah, JEANNE, an elopement!  How old were you, I wonder.  As a mother, my instincts are
to thank God for the priest; but who knows, perhaps you did marry that fellow later and
lived happily enough ever after.  ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4723 on: January 24, 2013, 12:27:32 PM »
Babi, I have family in "The Valley", too (Edinburg and McAllen now). 

John and I eloped, too - that was 57 years ago.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mabel1015j

« Reply #4724 on: January 24, 2013, 12:51:30 PM »
I knew you were a spunky, head-strong gal, Mary!  ;D  Altho, it sounds like you made a good decision.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4725 on: January 24, 2013, 02:09:58 PM »
Babi.  I was only nineteen.  Yes, Did marry later. Can't call it a mistake as together 14 years. Best of friends even today 40 plus years later. Married life just didn't work for me. Must be in the Genes as looking back in my family 50% never married. My brother didn't. LOts of uncles and Aunts.  No regrets seem to have been felt by any of them.

Steph

« Reply #4726 on: January 25, 2013, 06:24:49 AM »
Barbary Dogs is by Cynthia Robinson.. It is a wild wild ride.. Sort of a mystery.. sort of weird, and only one dog in the whole book.. even though the cover has five dogs looking at you.. Too much drugs,alcohol and generaly cynicism.. Bah.

Babi

« Reply #4727 on: January 25, 2013, 09:07:02 AM »
   That's interesting,JEANNE. It had not occurred to me that such things as
'marry' vs. 'not marry' could be a genetic trait. I wonder what other family
traits might be genetic. We tend to think of most of them as a matter of
exposure. Like musical families, where the children grow up surrounded by
music and musicians.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marjifay

« Reply #4728 on: January 25, 2013, 11:10:20 AM »
Babi wrote, "It had not occurred to me that such things as
'marry' vs. 'not marry' could be a genetic trait. I wonder what other family
traits might be genetic."

I've been reading Bill O'Reilly's (Fox TV show host) Killing Kennedy; The End of Camelot. The title is  misleading.  It contains a lot of (too much, really) gossipy juicy bits about the Kennedy family.  He talks about the sex lives of the Kennedy boys and their father (who apparently liked to jump into bed with his son's girlfriends).  Jackie Kennedy tells Joan, Ted Kennedy's wife, "They are all like that, have to have a lot of extra-marital sex.  It doesn't mean they don't love their wives.  Don't take it personally."  I guess that was the genetic trait of the Kennedy males.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #4729 on: January 26, 2013, 06:22:12 AM »
I think that that was more of a "look what Dad does" sort of thing. But I have a friend who has a long happy marriage, but she talks of two bachelor uncles and an aunt who never married.She says that most of her large family either does not marry or does not stay married. I think there are some people who are natural hermits. They are much happier on their own.

Babi

« Reply #4730 on: January 26, 2013, 10:00:53 AM »
 Or maybe, the terrible example of their father, MARJ. I would find it very
hard not to 'take it personally'. Is that super-sophisticated or just plain
cynical?  (Or is that the same thing?)

I can understand the 'natural hermit'.  Some people are simply happier with
plenty of peace, quiet and solitude.  It also occurs to me that the example of an
unhappy marriage could well cause the children of that marriage to avoid the risk.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4731 on: January 26, 2013, 02:22:24 PM »
I'm reading a new-to-me Jaffarian book: "Hide and Snoop". Usually, I like her, but this one seems awfully slow to me. I'm on the point of abandoning it. Don't know whether it's the book, or me, still woozy after minor surgery.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4732 on: January 26, 2013, 08:37:38 PM »
I was still young when I became Single. Most of family really did not living as hermits. I was far from one. In a way I think it is sort of Liking to be Free. Come and go. All of us traveled a lot.  (Fact I think with my elder brother going all over the world, sort of made me a little mad thinking that a women could not do that.

But you are right about wanting to spend most time alone. Specially now. I just never liked to account to where I was going, Been. How money was spent.
Having a good job, being able to go back to UK all the time.  Own a home. No Inlaws complaining. ( They always still called me their DOL 45 years prior to them Passing. I took care of them some as they aged.
People are different. Surprising how many women and men friends that were/are married. Have said wish they had more free time to do things.  Long as people are happy in their lives. Each way is great.
Think I have 2 Grandsons now  single. in 40s. Not looking for them to change their lives . Their mothers have accepted they will not marry.  

Steph

« Reply #4733 on: January 27, 2013, 06:36:09 AM »
Getting caught up in the Nancy Martin... Nora Blackbird series. I liked it and somehow it slipped off my radar, so am back on it.. The mysteries are fun.. Noras clothes are incredible.. and the special world she grew up in is interesting.. A bit too much loooooove.. but it passes.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #4734 on: January 27, 2013, 10:00:53 AM »
I don't know Nancy Martin, and yet the name Nora Blackbird seems familiar.  But, I may have that wrong somehow.  I'll have to look that up and see if it's something I've, too, put aside and forgot about as I got involved with other authors.

PS   Just looked her up, and yep, I'd read the Blackbird sisters mysteries before, though I'd forgotten about them.

http://www.nancymartinmysteries.com/

Steph

« Reply #4735 on: January 28, 2013, 06:06:54 AM »
Yes,Nancy Martin does a nice light mystery. She is also on facebook and has a great time doing clothes from designers and relating them to her series.. I like looking at the clothes. No place I could ever wear them, but oh my they are fun to see.
My bed book just now is a Hollywood mystery.. As Time Goes By... A bit slow, but fun.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4736 on: January 28, 2013, 02:30:54 PM »
Wanted to read a Chris Nickson book about the Sheriff of Nottingham on the 1700s, and kindle wanted $13.99 for it. They're going up! I'll wait til the library gets it.

Steph

« Reply #4737 on: January 29, 2013, 06:36:03 AM »
The prices are all over the place on Kindle and the rest of the ebook community. Some are fair, but a lot of them, not so much..

Frybabe

« Reply #4738 on: January 29, 2013, 08:11:03 AM »
And, it's not like you can go to the used book store and pick up an ebook for a few bucks or swap books in a swap club. Also, you can't donate or inherit them. Apparently, all you are buying is the right to use (renting) the ebook, not the ebook itself (same with music). Why they are charging so much for use rather than ownership is beyond me. That is why I rarely buy an ebook. Almost all of my ebooks are freebies. I object to paying the same or more for an ebook over a real, live print book. The local library is getting my business, too.

I sincerely hope that someone is continuing to look into the inheritance issue. The report that Bruce Willis was taking on Apple over his iTunes collection may be false, but then his wife's reported statement that he isn't may also be false. Neither person has confirmed or denied the reports one way or another.

Found this interesting article, but it doesn't address inheriting or giving away ebooks/emusic. It's worth reading. BTW, Cory Doctorow, mentioned in the article, puts his money were his mouth is. He makes many (if not all) of his books available for free.

http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2012/11/02/why-e-book-distribution-is-completely-and-utterly-broken-and-how-to-fix-it/

Babi

« Reply #4739 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:09 AM »
 And as if all that wasn't bad enough, Barnes & Nobel has announced that they will be
closing a lot of their stores.  I do hope the one nearest us isn't on the chopping block.

Frybabe

« Reply #4740 on: January 29, 2013, 09:32:31 AM »
Yes, I saw that. I hope ours doesn't close. That would leave only the used book stores and the Midtown Scholar (independent and much loved bookstore in Harrisburg).

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4741 on: January 29, 2013, 12:13:39 PM »
I've just finished 'Unsinkable' by Dan James (who writes other books under his real name, Dan Waddell).  I was sent it to review, and I must say I didn't much like the look of it, but in the end it was not bad.

We all know what happened to the Titanic; it hit an iceberg that the lookout failed to spot in time.  But what if something, or someone, had distracted that lookout?  James introduces a London special branch policeman, Beck, who has been involved in the Houndsditch Murders and the Siege of Sidney Street - both real events at which the police tried and failed to apprehend the leader of a gang of Latvian anarchists.  Beck has seen his colleagues shot in cold blood by the terrorist Piatkow.  Racked with guilt, he's tried to go back to work, only to make a disastrous decision that leads to more deaths.  He's now left the police force and bought himself a first class ticket on the Titanic's maiden voyage, intending to find work in New York.

Also on the trip are Martha, an American sent by her paper to report on the rich and famous passengers, but desperate to get a real story and earn respect as a serious journalist, and Sten-Ake Gustafson, a old Swedish sailor travelling to the US to see his grandchildren before he dies.

As the ship leaves Cherbourg (it stopped in France and Ireland before heading out over the Atlantic), Beck thinks he sees Piatkow boarding.  From then on he's in pursuit, with Martha joining in as she attempts to be the first to get the story.  Meanwhile, Gustafson finds himself with an unexpected cabin mate.

James is an ex-journalist himself and knows how to keep you turning the pages.  There's plenty of fascinating detail - the Jesuit priest who's taking what turn out to be the last photos of Titanic (Father Francis Browne actually disembarked in Queenstown (now Cobh), thereby surviving), the Irish steerage passengers getting drunk and singing the nights away - but not so much that you feel like you're getting a history lecture.  The three main characters are drawn well, as are J Bruce Ismay - the manager of the White Star Line - and Edward Smith, the captain.

Late on the night of 14th April 1912, Beck eventually corners Piatkow on the bridge.  They fight, and as the crew tries to assist, a phone rings unanswered in the wheelhouse.

I liked the way that James wove fact and fiction together, and kept it all going at a fast pace.  I never would have picked this book up in the library (the cover is awful, reminds me of Jacques Cousteau), but I enjoyed it.

Rosemary

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4742 on: January 29, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »
At times in the first years I lived here in the US. I would go back to UK by ships. I came on The Queen Mary quite in Luxury but went back little cheaper.  Quite a few to pick from back then. First one was the "Britanica" Second was the "Scythia" Both from NY. to Cobh, Ireland. on to Liverpool. Had 2 classes. One being Steerage.

They would have some wild time down there and dancing like on the Titanic showed. We use to go down and join them. Most were going back to Ireland and on return to US lots of first time Immigrants. On the Britanica one man was lost overboard and we were late one day having stopped to search. (Didn't find him). Lots of drinking went on down there. Lots of fiddle playing.

After watching Titanic I use to think of what it would have been like for them had same happened.
There were not that many life boats on them. I remember we had drill a few times and one Of the Officers I got to know would tell me.
They do this but if anything happened the crew would be the first to head for these life boats. so you get close to them on first sound
No. this wasn't early 1900s. this was late 1950s.  Loved all the trips. Much better than now the Airlines.  I still get things from the "Cunard Line" every month on the 3 Ships that are now going  NY to UK. May even try one way and fly back this year.  Prices are reasonable right now.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4743 on: January 29, 2013, 03:05:58 PM »
The Amazon monopoly on e-books is scary! It's always dangerous when one or a few people control access to information.

Selling below cost to entice a customer into dependence on your other products is an old trick (IBM was famous for it) and illegal. Good that they stop Amazon.

went to UK on the Queen Mary in the sixties, cheapest fare. The crossing was rough, and most of the passengers stayed in their cabin. it's birthed now in San Diego, an hours ride from where we live. We went down and did a historical tour. He kept talking about wild parties, expecting me to back him up, but I was a disappointment to him. My husband and I played scrabble the whole way across.

Since I was a former passenger, the tour leader took me, and introduced me to the Captain. (I wonder what the captain of a docked ship does?).

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4744 on: January 29, 2013, 03:09:09 PM »
I ordered a sample of Unsinkable.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4745 on: January 29, 2013, 03:12:41 PM »
Wasn't the Queen Mary the ship that featured in Brideshead? - Julia Flyte and Charles Rider have a passionate fling during a stormy crossing, when Rider's wife is laid low by seasickness.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4746 on: January 29, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »
That would really be a bumpy ride. (I didn't just say that!)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4747 on: January 29, 2013, 03:21:49 PM »
 ;D ;D

Steph

« Reply #4748 on: January 30, 2013, 06:28:04 AM »
 :o I think it was the Queen Mary.. I do remember that from Brideshead.

Babi

« Reply #4749 on: January 30, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
 Amazon is driving me nuts, and I don't even use it! Every morning I find e-mails
from them offering me 'deals', sometimes up to half-a-dozen. Can someone kindly explain
to me how to block them. I need their e-mail address to 'filter' them, but it's not
included in those ads.  >:(

Maybe he's a retired Captain, JOAN, making a bit of income on a 'retired' ship.  :)

Frybabe

« Reply #4750 on: January 30, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »
That's odd, Babi. I've been buying from Amazon for years and never had an email other than order confirmations until I actually signed up for several. All of the ad emails I get from them have a place to unsubscribe at the bottom of the email where all the small print is.

I don't know if this will help, but here is their page on identifying if it is in fact from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=15835501&qid=1359559591&sr=1-1

Frybabe

« Reply #4751 on: January 30, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »
BTW, I just discovered that like Audible, BookDepository, Bookworm and ABE Books are listed as part of the Amazon family. When did that happen I wonder.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4752 on: January 30, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »
The big fish is eating up the little fish!

mabel1015j

« Reply #4753 on: January 30, 2013, 03:16:51 PM »
I've started J.D.Robb's Fantasy in Death. The first 30 pgs are promising a good story. A 29 yr old who owns a video games production business is found dead in a secured room with a copy of a game in production. It gives the reader the impression that he has been killed by the interactive game. It's an interesting premise. You must remember the time is 2060!

As i mentioned before, robb went thru a phase of gruesome stories that i didn't care for, but the last several that i've read have not been so gruesome and i've enjoyed them. This is set two yrs after she and Roarke have married.

Jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #4754 on: January 30, 2013, 04:46:02 PM »
I was thinking that Audible has been part of Amazon for quite awhile.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #4755 on: January 30, 2013, 05:11:51 PM »
Babi....I get daily emails from Amazon with their daily deals for the kindle app I have on my Ipad.  That email comes from:

store-news@amazon.com

Tomereader1

« Reply #4756 on: January 30, 2013, 06:24:28 PM »
I don't get any email offers from Amazon. Cant imagine what those would be.  I buy from them often, have a Kindle, and get ebooks on KIndle.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #4757 on: January 30, 2013, 08:24:24 PM »
Tomereader...they're called the Kindle Daily Deals.  4 books on a special price for that day only.  I get the email daily.

I was going to put the link here, but it's to my account, so I can't do that.

If you go to amazon.com and look for Kindle Daily Deals you should get to that page.

jane

salan

« Reply #4758 on: January 31, 2013, 05:46:13 AM »
I get those offers, too.  I clicked on the box that said, "Kindle Special Deals".  Sometimes I order, but usually not.  One of today's deals was Thomas Perry's new Jane Whitfield book, Flower Poison for 1.99, but it said whispernet.  Is that an audio book?  I wasn't sure, so didn't order it.
Sally

Steph

« Reply #4759 on: January 31, 2013, 06:22:11 AM »
Oh a new Jane book.. I must look for that. I just finished a Clea Simon book.. Shade of Gray... Someone recommended her here.. The thing about this book is she is writing three books at once. Too many differing plots along with a substory on her picking her doctoral project.. I liked her, but hopefully she will learn to cut her writing down to one plot at a time.