Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 898331 times)

Frybabe

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #4760 on: January 31, 2013, 07:22:41 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Sally, WhisperNet is what Amazon calls the internal network that you use when you click on Kindle Store. Whether you use the regular net to order from Amazon or order from your Kindle, that is the net they use to download your book. The book gets stored in you cloud storage and then the next time you turn on your Kindle wireless (if it isn't already on) you book will download.

My 2nd Gen Kindle connects directly to WhisperNet when I turn the wireless on. It uses 3G networking, doesn't have a web browser, and doesn't require any other wireless netsworking. Unlike the 2nd gen., the Kindle Fire won't connect to Amazon (or anything else) without my home network wireless being turned on (or access to a Free Wifi hotspot). I discovered this when I forgot I had turned off my wireless router overnight. The next morning, when I tried to connect (forgetting that I had turned the router off) I couldn't connect. At first I thought my Kindle Fire was going flaky. Duh! Once I figured it out, I was back in business.

Babi

« Reply #4761 on: January 31, 2013, 09:37:29 AM »
 I sent them an e-mail this morning, FRYBABE, begging them to stop the raft of 'deals'.
I haven't noticed any 'unsubscribe', but I'll check the small print on the next one's
that show up. I agree with JOANK; Amazon is becoming a big..and voracious...fish.

I'm glad to hear that Robb is putting out some good books again. "Fantasy in Death"
sounds good. 2060, who knows. Maybe virtual reality will be getting more real.  ;D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #4762 on: January 31, 2013, 10:02:42 AM »
I'm about halfway thru Fantasy in Death and it's quite interesting w/ it's talk of "halo-rooms" and virtual game playing. I've had a sense all along though that "Robb" does not have a vivid enough imagination to be looking at 2060. Some of the things she wrote about 10 yrs ago are already happening in 2013 and somethings are just not futuristic enough, IMO.

Jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #4763 on: January 31, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »
I get the Kindle daily deals, but it is through an affiliated site that doesn't state Amazon, until you get ready to check out.  Gotta have that new Jane book!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #4764 on: February 01, 2013, 06:17:07 AM »
I like the Robb series, but don't do the regular Nora Roberts type books.. Finally the right title..As Crime goes by is my bed book.. All about the golden age of Hollywood, lots of name dropping and fun.. Not a serious book, but interesting.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #4765 on: February 01, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »
I was most agreeably surprised this morning to receive a very polite e-mail from
Amazon, promising prompt attention to my complaint. The sender said it might take a
day or two to get me 'unsucscribed' from that mailing list, but that he will take care
of it and apologizes for the inconvenience.
  Naturally, I responded just as promptly, thanking them for their prompt and courteous
answer. I think we can be friends again, now.  :)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #4766 on: February 01, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
Aside from The Hare with the Amber Eyes, I am in between books. I am taking a break from my SciFi marathon. Got lots of mysteries to choose from already here, and two Carol Goodman's and a Henning Mankell on the way.

marjifay

« Reply #4767 on: February 01, 2013, 04:29:39 PM »
I've only read one by J.D. Robb, Naked in Death (2004), which I think was her first go at writing mysteries.  I disliked it so much because of all the sexy romance in it, I vowed not to read any more by her.  But maybe I'll give Fantasy in Death a try, since she must have improved since then, LOL.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #4768 on: February 02, 2013, 06:47:59 AM »
J.D. Robb ( Nora Roberts) is a romance writer through and through. I simply skip the mandatory two passages in each J.D. Robb book of sex with her husband.. At least she sticks to those two and no others..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4769 on: February 02, 2013, 06:02:11 PM »
FRY: glad to get you between Sci-Fi books. Let me know what you settle on.

reading another Felix Francis (Dick Francis' son who collaborated with him at the end. This is the second he's written on his own: "Dick francis: Bloodline"). He's not as good as Dick, but worth reading for a DF fan. In this one (I forgot the name) the narrator is a race announcer, and there's a lot of detail on how the TV shows are broadcast. since my son is in broadcasting, I found it interesting. Much more complex than what my son does. But the plot is moving a little slowly.

Steph

« Reply #4770 on: February 03, 2013, 06:28:16 AM »
I loved Dick Francis, but Felix is not the horse person his Dad was and he does not have anyone like his Mom to do all the checking on how it actually goes.. Shame..
Finished The Red Tent, not a mystery, but a puzzling book in many ways.

Frybabe

« Reply #4771 on: February 03, 2013, 08:22:13 AM »
I borrowed my first book from the Kindle Lending Library called In the Blood: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #1 by Steve Robinson. I'll let you know what I think of it after I've read a few more pages. My first impression of this writing is that I was reading something salacious without it actually being so. Strange reaction, because there is nothing erotic about it. Bizarre reaction. Will start over. He has written three in this series so far and all have gotten very good ratings on GoodReads.

Babi

« Reply #4772 on: February 03, 2013, 09:20:19 AM »
  Maybe there are some subtle double meanings in his language, FRYBABE.  I know I've spoken with people who
left me slightly uncomfortable because I wasn't entirely sure what they meant by what they said.  I'll be
interested to see what you decide about the book.  A 'genealogical' crime sounds like it could be interesting.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4773 on: February 03, 2013, 04:34:34 PM »
That sound familiar, but I don't think I've read it.

Finished Felix. OK, not great. Now I'm reading "Size 14 is not Fat Either" by Meg Cabot. I admit to a soft spot for all these detectives who are struggling with their weight: the series starts with "Size 12 is not fat". Her job, as an assistant in a college dorm leads to a lot of humor. And it takes place at a thinly disguised NYU, where I worked briefly. But the terrible song lyrics (she's an ex-pop singer) might put anyone off. Don't know whether to recommend the series or not.

MaryPage

« Reply #4774 on: February 03, 2013, 04:38:07 PM »
My take on THE RED TENT is it is an intelligently written fictional account of how the Twelve Tribes of Israel came into being as told from the female side of things rather than the male driven accounts which are all we have previously had with which to learn the oral histories committed to writing.

Steph

« Reply #4775 on: February 04, 2013, 06:21:08 AM »
Hopefully I will not offend anyone, but a true history of the 12 tribes would be a female one.After all they are the ones who know the fathers ...The jews are sensible. It is the female who need to be a jew to make the child a jew..

MaryPage

« Reply #4776 on: February 04, 2013, 07:26:03 AM »
Funny Steph, but what you say is true, and yet I never thought of it in that way before.  That is to say, I have known for eons that you can be Jewish only from your mother or conversion (rare).  And I have known since I was 10 that there were 12 tribes and that they still trace them all over the world.

But the tribes came down from the fathers!  I just never put those things together until this moment!

Which, if what you have put forth were the case, then no, there would be no 12 tribes!  There would be somewhere between 2 and 4 or 6, I cannot figure it right at this moment.  But didn't Leah mother 10 and Rachel 2?  Only weren't there a couple of concubines in there somewhere, or at least one?

But bottom line, if Jewishness had to come down from the mothers, then there would be AT MOST no more than six tribes.  No more than six, if the concubines were counted and there were more of them involved, rather than fewer.  I am not at all sure that all of the concubines involved WERE Jews!  Or in fact, that any were!  I think they WERE NOT Jewish!

Yet History DOES count from the SONS of Jacob, who was called Israel, and only from the sons.  Fascinating.  You have thought of something I simply never picked up on.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4777 on: February 04, 2013, 11:10:05 AM »
As relates to Mysteries:  I purchased for my Kindle the latest book from one of my favorite mystery authors.  Maybe I should say "previous favorite".  This is "Poison Flower" by Thomas Perry who has written several stand-alones, but his Jane Whitefield series was my favorite. He quit writing them for a bit.  This is a "Jane" book, but even though I am only a third of the way into it, I can say truthfully, I am sorely, sorely disappointed.  Mr Perry has gone off the tracks, or is hell-bent to putting an "end" to Jane, or at least her loyal readers.  With only very few pages in the beginning featuring Jane doing her "rescue thing", she is shot, kidnapped, kept prisoner, tortured. (what the 50 Shades of author has done for S&M, Mr. Perry is doing for torture)
  Since she is the main character in the book, we know she is going to escape, and she does.  What ensues is  seemingly (to me) a trite, poorly written episode about seeking help in a shelter for abused women, which would be an interesting story line, but the dialogue is the most-abused part of this,  and not even close to Mr. Perry's standards (IMHO) besides being poorly plotted.
Needless repetition of Jane's "back-story" in a manner which would leave new readers totally puzzled.  (Jane is Native American and there is always a lot of spiritual lore addressed). Since this was not a "free Kindle book", I feel I ought to finish it, but my disappointment is coloring my reading of it.  If you are a Thomas Perry fan, just get the book from the library.  I wouldn't pay good money for it (other than the paltry amount I paid).  It is going to have to get better, as it is about as low on my "star" rating as it can get.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4778 on: February 04, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »
TOME: what a disappointment when a beloved author lets you down. Hopefully, it's just a quirk, and he'll be back in form later.

I have to try the earlier ones.

Steph

« Reply #4779 on: February 05, 2013, 06:12:04 AM »
I love and have read all of Perry.. I cannot imagine him falling down that way, but I guess people do.. Jane is a heroine of mine and I hate to think of her in that sort of distress. Hmm. will think of whether I want to have her ruined like that.

Babi

« Reply #4780 on: February 05, 2013, 08:57:03 AM »
    I don't even have to think about it, STEPH.   I definitely don't, and I'm glad to have Tomereaders' warning.
Thanks, TOME.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4781 on: February 05, 2013, 11:45:33 AM »
Some writers just do seem to go off like that.  PD James's 'Death Comes to Pemberley' was truly awful, and I had loved all of her Dalgliesh detective books.

Rosemary

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #4782 on: February 05, 2013, 11:50:13 AM »
I've found that after x no. of books in a "series," the author (or ghosts who are writing under author's name) just run out of ideas.  They never seem to realize when it's time to let the series end and either develop a new character/series or just plain quit what they were writing. [It's like the pro athletes who are sure they have one more season left in them...and they end up looking like the "has-beens" they are.]

Tomereader1

« Reply #4783 on: February 05, 2013, 12:34:05 PM »
Perry had given "Jane" a rest awhile back.  I remember having emailed him, and asking when a new Jane would be forthcoming.  He did answer, and said he was wanting to do other things for awhile (and implied that he didn't want Jane to get "stale").  I think, with him, she was already stale.  But obviously many of his fans kept after him, and he felt it incumbent upon him to resuscitate the series.s  Now, I think I may have missed one after he started back, but this new one "just ain't it, kid".  Reading further into the story, Jane begins to tell her "client" how he is supposed to act, what to do, not do to keep himself hidden and in safety.  There is a little plot turn going on now, which may put Jane and her hubby in mortal danger.  I shall read on, but keep feeling this awful nervous sense of more impending danger, as if Perry intends to put a final end on Jane.  I hope I'm wrong.  I read some of the reviews on
Amazon, and can't believe they were all so positive, except one, who obviously felt the way I did about the first part of the book.  Hope I haven't turned you all off by my "uncensored review".  It's just that I hate to see folks that previously loved an author, fall into purchasing a book that they will probably hate in the long run.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #4784 on: February 05, 2013, 12:37:50 PM »
One other thing:  Jane's client is supposed to have killed his wife but Jane & client's sister feel sure he didn't.  The people who are after him are supposed to be responsible for the murder, but you get absolutely NO idea of who they were, when, why or how she was killed. No build up or front story at all, which was the first thing that ticked me off.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #4785 on: February 06, 2013, 06:08:48 AM »
Hmm, Perry is good at this stand alone books in giving you no idea what is happening until the last chapter. Then he pulls all the threads and you sit back in surprise as to whatis actually happening.Could be he did this with Jane.. What a shame. He is a good writer. I read one where the ending was fascinating.. An entire town in Connecticut of criminals.. Wild..

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4786 on: February 06, 2013, 08:26:10 AM »
Has anyone read anything by Katia Lief?  I hadn't heard of her before reading this article, but she looks interesting:

http://deadgoodbooks.co.uk/index.php/dead-good-locations-out-and-about-with-author-katia-lief/#more-2259

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #4787 on: February 06, 2013, 09:53:45 AM »

An entire town in Connecticut of criminals.. Wild
..  STEPH
  The entire town? So, who did the criminals prey upon? Each other? It surely wouldn't
take long for the tourist trade to dry up.  ;)

A very attractive site, ROSEMARY.  it was a pleasure to see it.

mabel1015j

« Reply #4788 on: February 06, 2013, 11:24:37 AM »
The Lief book does sound interesting. Our library diesn't have it yet. I may request it. Thanks Rosemary.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4789 on: February 06, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »
Addendum to "Poison Flower".  At least 2/3 of the way, Perry decides he will let us in on the whys and wherefores of the client's murdered wife.  Okay, that problem solved.  Now that Jane has the client and the shelter lady fairly stashed away, she rents a secluded house, and lets her identity forger friend know her whereabouts, so if someone should come looking for her, they will know where to go. (Like we are to believe the thugs are going to go right to the identity forger).  She sets up a "kill house" and waits for the  thugs and the "bidders" to come after her. (The bidders are bad guys that Jane had helped someone they were trying to kill). They show up in a few days and a battle royale ensues.  Our Jane is now a "warrior" and gets them all, as well as the name of the main thug who is after her client.  She goes home to hubby for a few days, all the while planning how to locate  and go after Martel.
That's where I am inthe book right now, and there are only a few pages left for the resolution.
It's become a kind of Perils of Pauline tale, and Perry has practically turned our Jane into a cold blooded killer.  (I know, the thugs captured, shot and tortured her, so turn about...?)
Some of Perry's style has returned in the foregoing pages, so it is easier reading than early on.
Will let you know how this plays out, if you want to know!

André Maurois

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4790 on: February 06, 2013, 08:19:45 PM »
I am reading a little change from Mystery or Murder at the moment. Weather cold so need cheering up. 
Quite enjoying Marcia Willett's "A week in Winter".Pretty old. 2002 but a good Read in Bed book.

Frybabe

« Reply #4791 on: February 06, 2013, 09:04:31 PM »
I am continuing my reading of In the Blood: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #1 by Steve Robinson. I have become more comfortable with his writing and am enjoying the book. So far, nothing real special. He has introduced several characters and events from different time periods, going back and forth between two. He also introduced two more characters/events, but where and when they fit in I do not know yet. I suspect those two are contemporary with the main character and all will converge at some point.

The main character is a genealogical researcher from Boston who is doing family research for a rich client. His research has presented a problem. The family in question returned from the US to England, BUT all but the father seem to have vanished between the two. He obviously made it back, he remarried two years later, but there is no record of his first wife, children and two relatives. No arrival announcements, no death certificates, no divorce settlements - nothing. So now our intrepid researcher is in Cornwall trying to connect the dots.

marjifay

« Reply #4792 on: February 06, 2013, 11:49:32 PM »
Speaking of  writers' series eventually becoming stale, I've yet to read a bad book from Robert Crais (Elvis Cole series), Lee Child (Jack Reacher) Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch).  James Lee Burke (Dave Robocheaux) or James Sallis (Lew Griffin).

But I agree with you, Rosemary, that I was really disappointed in P. D. James' last mystery.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4793 on: February 07, 2013, 03:56:54 AM »
Anybody read any Anne Granger?  I have just started 'Rack, Ruin & Murder', which I picked up in the North Berwick library - enjoying it so far.  It's set in an English village - an old man living alone in the almost derelict family mansion comes home from buying his bottle of Scotch to find a corpse on his sofa. 

So far it's very gentle, certainly not 'gritty' - thank goodness. It's quite humorous, and the character of the run-down old man is well drawn.

I looked Granger up on Amazon & she seems to have written quite a few murder mysteries.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #4794 on: February 07, 2013, 06:24:24 AM »
I like Crais, but he is getting more and more violent and that bothers me..Elvis used to enjoy himself more..

mabel1015j

« Reply #4795 on: February 07, 2013, 08:58:30 AM »
According to my Goodreads newsletter, Jms Patterson has three books releasing in be next two weeks! Really!?!

Babi

« Reply #4796 on: February 07, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »
'Gentle' is unusual for a murder mystery, ROSEMARY, and humor always appeals to me. I
don't remember reading anything by Anne Granger, but I'll take a look and see what I can
find.

???  JEAN.  But then, who cares. I quit reading 'his' books some time ago.

marjifay

« Reply #4797 on: February 07, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Jean wrote "According to my Goodreads newsletter, Jms Patterson has three books releasing in be next two weeks! Really!?!"

I'm not surprised -- he has enough help with all his co-authors.  I have two on my hold list at the library, Merry Christmas, Alex Cross and Private Berlin.  I have liked most of his Alex Cross books, and also like his Women's Murder Club series.  They are usually fast reads that I can read in a day.  Good to relax with after reading something more demanding.

Marj

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4798 on: February 07, 2013, 03:49:51 PM »
Wow, Ann grainger has written a lot!

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/ann-granger/

The one you're reading isn't on kindle yet. I'll look for another.

I went to buy "In the Blood" for kindle, and it said I already own it: it's in my archives which means I read it or gave up on it (?!)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4799 on: February 07, 2013, 03:54:38 PM »
Seems the german editions of her books are on kindle, but not the English. Oh well.