Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897435 times)

Frybabe

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #5440 on: July 29, 2013, 12:59:36 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK    

No, Mary. I think it is the first book in the series. I just checked to see if I had the title right. It should be A Cold Day for Murder. I had an extra A in there.

ursamajor

« Reply #5441 on: July 29, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »
A while back I decided to read the Stabenow books in order; I bought the ones the library didn't have.  I much prefer her earlier ones when Kate lived as a native (they call it subsistence).  This was so interesting to me.  Now Kate lives in a Lindal cedar home the community built for her after soneone burned down her home.  Hot showers and indoor plumbing; nice for Kate but not so interesting to the reader.   

salan

« Reply #5442 on: July 29, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »
I finished Nevada Barr's The Rope.  I got tired of it before it finally ended.  Too bad--it had been good for a while.  I'm through with her for a while.  I am reading a Louise Penny that I had missed.  Somehow, this summer, I can't seem to stick with anything too deep.  So I am sticking with my "go to" light mysteries.
Sally

Steph

« Reply #5443 on: July 30, 2013, 08:57:30 AM »
Sounds like an older Stabenow, but I know she did publish thisyear and have not seen it yet in paperback. I tend to buy her, since I like her Kate very much. Liam is good as well.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

MaryPage

« Reply #5444 on: July 30, 2013, 12:37:25 PM »
I loved THE SNOWMAN so much that I bought all of Jo Nesbo's books that have so far been translated into English.  Right now I am reading the first in the series:  THE BAT.  I love it!  It is fabulous!

mabel1015j

« Reply #5445 on: July 30, 2013, 12:52:25 PM »
I just finished Payback by Fern Michaels, the 2nd in the Sisterhood series. A group of women, bankrolled by one of them who is very wealthy, wreck revenge on people who have been able to avoid convictions of their crimes, or, in the first of the series, spirit away a woman who is about to be falsely convicted. You must suspend reality to enjoy the story, but they are enjoyable.

In this one they take on a husband, wife and son who own HMO's and deny every claim they can, meaning many people have died because they couldn't get treatment, or have lost everything trying to pay for their care. And they take on a senator who is a huge philanderer and gave his wife - one if the sisterhood - AIDS, but he's not aware he has AIDS.

The Sisterhood is lead by an ex MI6 spy who is now living in Va, with the wealthy woman, under a new identity. He has fitted out a secret room in their McLean mansion w/ every possible piece of technology and, of course, has fabulous "connections" to people throughout the world, including the queen and the White House.  Even though one of the "Sisters" is an attorney, they have no regard for the law as they work their revenge.

The book needed an editor, all of who seem to have disappeared these days. Some of the problems may have been printing mistakes, but some was just bad grammar. I guess when you're rolling out 2 books or more a year, it's hard to perfect them. But it needed a story editor for more development of the story, it's a short book and just seemed to come to an end. I'll try another one in the series just because i like the story concept.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #5446 on: July 30, 2013, 01:46:55 PM »
The book needed an editor, all of who seem to have disappeared these days. Some of the problems may have been printing mistakes, but some was just bad grammar.

Isn't that the truth!!  I'm aghast at what some are putting out in digital format.  The authors sound as if they haven't passed 8th grade English, or at least 8th grade English as I was taught it.  

I am pleased that a number of reviewers are commenting on the poor grammar and editing.  I've seen that some of the authors have then "released" improved versions.  Apparently some do read their reviews.

jane

marjifay

« Reply #5447 on: July 30, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »
I too thought Jo Nesbo's SNOWMAN was great, MaryPage, altho' it scared the heck out of me.  I'll put THE BAT on my TBR list.

I've read only one Stabenow book, the first, A COLD DAY FOR WINTER.  It was a DNF for me.  Maybe I should have given it more time, but after the first several chapters, I found I did not care for the main character and found the story boring.  I much preferred WHITE HEAT by M. J. McGrath, also set in the Canadian arctic. 

Marge
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Frybabe

« Reply #5448 on: July 30, 2013, 02:23:03 PM »
I am enjoying A Cold Day for Murder, and am absolutely delighted that she has included an amateur radio operator in her story. She has this operator talking to King Hussein of Jordan who was indeed an amateur radio buff. In fact, a couple here in Camp Hill, also radio amateurs, were friends with the King. They had been to Jordan and when he was in the US they would have a f2f his schedule permitting. I have no idea if his son, the current king, is one or not. I never heard if he took up the hobby.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5449 on: July 30, 2013, 04:01:17 PM »
FRY: many of the minor characters in her books are real people, thinly disguised. Not sure about Bobby, the amateur radio operator. But the real owner of the airline (I've forgotten what he was called in the book)was the subject of a reality show on Discovery channel the last two seasons. And there was a radio operator who appeared briefly who could have been the model for Bobby.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #5450 on: July 31, 2013, 07:24:00 AM »
I'm just now reading the 18th Kate Shugak mystery, 'Though Not Dead' - I very much enjoy Stabenow's books, though it took me a  while, with the first one, to work out what she was talking about - however, I prefer books to be like this rather than spell out every last detail; it's more satisfying to have to 'work' for the information!

Steph

« Reply #5451 on: July 31, 2013, 08:50:57 AM »
Ilove Stabenow, but did not know that some of the characters are close to real people. She has such a strong sense of nature and the natives.
Fern Michaels has writtendozens of the Sisterhood novels. I have read several. They are fun for an afternoon and totally unrealistic, but still fun..She also writes all sorts of other novels as well, but they are mostly pure romance.

Frybabe

« Reply #5452 on: July 31, 2013, 09:06:41 AM »
I finished A Cold Day for Murder last night. While I figured out who did it earlier, the ending was still interesting. It is a bit sad to read about all the drinking and quiet (and sometimes not so quiet) desperation in which many of these people live. But they are balanced by those with an enterprising nature and/or pioneering spirit. I thought her grandmother's attitude toward the lives of the "outsiders" that died somewhat appalling but not too surprising. And, as with every era, we get a glimpse of the very real arguments between those who want things to stay the same and those who represent progress. I feel for Kate who, since she went outside to get a good education and worked and lived outside for a while, now is not particularly welcome at home nor does she feel comfortable on the outside.

Steph

« Reply #5453 on: August 01, 2013, 08:49:57 AM »
Kate gets stronger and more vibrant with each book.. Stabenow lets her characters grow up and learn.

JudeS

« Reply #5454 on: August 02, 2013, 07:41:59 PM »
Thanks very much for the feedback on Tony Hlillerman.  I will look into the Elderhostel too.
We also did a long trip into New Mexico and Arizona  but without the maps. When we went to Taos, to the Pueblo village there we were befriended by an Indian Silversmith who we corresponded with for a few years.

If anyone is interested in Indian Lore there is a very good TV mystery series that takes place in Wyoming-"Longmire".:i
It deals with many aspects of  life in Wyoming.Try to start at the first chapter and go from there. Enjoy.

I've never heard of Stabenow. What is a good book  to start with?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5455 on: August 02, 2013, 07:47:18 PM »
The Longmire series is based on the books about the character.  Can't think of the author, but the books are good, too.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #5456 on: August 02, 2013, 09:24:47 PM »
Dana Stabenow and do start and read them in sequence. You get  a better picture of her life.

Tomereader1

« Reply #5457 on: August 02, 2013, 10:10:23 PM »
Craig Johnson is the author of the Longmire books.  Yes, the books are good.  All of us down here who started reading him before they decided to make a TV series, were so happy they did.  We kind of quibbled with the casting though:  Henry Standing Bear and Vic.  Didn't know much about the guy who plays Walt, but he does great in that role.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #5458 on: August 03, 2013, 08:19:57 AM »
I think I will try one of the books, but I am not really a western fan.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5459 on: August 03, 2013, 08:34:03 AM »
These are not really "westerns", Steph - just set in that area.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Frybabe

« Reply #5460 on: August 03, 2013, 10:24:53 AM »
I'm going to have to try and remember Craig Johnson, Tome. I didn't know the series was based on a book.  I really like the show. Even though I haven't read the books, I was a little surprised to see Lou Diamond Phillips among cast of otherwise unknowns to me, I thought. I looked up Bailey Chase since he looked vaguely familiar. He was in Saving Grace which I used to watch. Robert Taylor was in Balleykissangel as Father Vincent Sheahan, so some of you may remember him. I never watch it. He was also in The Matrix as Agent Jones, but I don't remember that part. I didn't look up the others.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5461 on: August 03, 2013, 11:25:52 AM »
I don't hear about anyone attending "Elder Hostel" anymore. Are they still goin? I thought that they started getting pricy and stopped getting their magazine

Tomereader1

« Reply #5462 on: August 03, 2013, 12:29:04 PM »
I think Craig Johnson's latest book on Longmire is either his 11th or 13th, can't remember which right now.  He has a  website and does a short newsletter every now and then, which, for the most part, consists of anecdotes about his life as an author.  He, like Louise Penney seems to be, is very down-to-earth and suprised by his following and the success of his novels.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5463 on: August 03, 2013, 01:29:48 PM »
Jeanne, Elderhostel changed its name to Road Scholar several years ago.  They wanted to get away from the idea that it was only for old people who stayed in dorm rooms.  The programs are now available to any age adult.  They are more expensive now because folks didn't want to stay in dormitories or places with "bathrooms down the hall" - they wanted nicer motels, etc., and more upscale amenities.  Also many of them are more active now, emphasizing hiking, cycling, etc.  Click here to get to their web site.  We still participate in them - did one last year.  The educational parts are still very good.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5464 on: August 03, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »
Thanks Jude for mentioning Longmire.  I'm so glad I found "Longmire" on Netflix.  Really enjoying the series.

JudeS

« Reply #5465 on: August 03, 2013, 03:56:29 PM »
Thanks for the info on the written Longmire series by Craig Johnson. I am going to the library today to see if they exist in my branch. Glad to know that someone besides myself and husband watches and likes this show.

Re: Elderhostel now Road Scholar. We have been on ten of their programs.  The last one was especially good.: The Art Museums of Los Angeles. We stayed in a beautiful downtown hotel and visited four wonderful venues. Morning prep, great docents at the museums and lectures and movies about the museums in the evening. Outstanding food as well.

Am reading "Hornets Nest" by Patricia Cornwall. Not as good as her first few books. Full of clichés. Still I have to finish it to see what happens.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5466 on: August 03, 2013, 05:31:30 PM »
Looks like Stabenow's first was "A cold day for murder"

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/dana-stabenow/

I've gone from a cozy village in Wales with the Evan Evans mysteries to a cozy village in Cornwall "The Valley of the Shadow" by Carola Dunn. I couldn't get into her Daisy Dalrimple mysteries, but I like this "Cornish mystery", an older woman and her niece, a policewoman. Smuggling and caves.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/carola-dunn/

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5467 on: August 03, 2013, 08:35:49 PM »
Thanks Mary
No wonder I don't get the Elder Hostel paper anymore.  I did now sign up for whatever this co. Send out.  Bet not as big as the one EH sent.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5468 on: August 03, 2013, 10:54:53 PM »
Jeanne, the catalogs are bigger, and they send even more of them.

Steph

« Reply #5469 on: August 04, 2013, 09:49:33 AM »
I have been to a number ofRoad Scholar and particularly like them, because as a lone woman, there are other women always.. I get a single room because I really dont think I could room with a stranger, but it is not that much more.

MaryPage

« Reply #5470 on: August 04, 2013, 12:44:42 PM »
Except for the one SeniorNet bash I went to with Bob, I never shared a room at bashes or Elderhostels or any such.  Just could not bear the thought, and hang the cost!
I did enjoy making friends, and have kept up with them.  But sharing is a room too far for my sensibilities!

JudeS

« Reply #5471 on: August 04, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »
I went to the library and found two books by Craig Johnson:
"Junkyard Dogs" and "Another Man's Moccasins".

They had one of Stabenow's books:
"A Grave Denied"'

However  just browsing among the new books I found a really funny mystery. The author, Ruth Dudley Edwards, won   The Last Laugh award for the funniest crime novel in 2008 for "Murdering Americans".
Her new one which I borrowed is called "Killing the Emperors" and it is indeed very humorous so far.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5472 on: August 04, 2013, 03:45:11 PM »
Here's Dudley. If you like her, there's lots more books to read.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/e/ruth-dudley-edwards/

Help! I have 65 samples in my mystery collection on kindle, many of them books you all have suggested! Stop reading such good books!

mabel1015j

« Reply #5473 on: August 04, 2013, 06:12:01 PM »
 ;D ;D i agree Joan!!! My lbrary has 6 Edwards books. I need a laugh, i may get all six.........

Jean

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5474 on: August 04, 2013, 07:00:58 PM »
Road Scholer.  Now the ones I looked at if you went Single were about 40% more.
The one I would love to do is the 9 day one on the Queen Mary. "Emigrants and Ireland" But one has to pick it up in Ireland I believe and price starts at $5900. so that would be about $7000. I think. 
That is the thing with them. If start start far from where one lives then you have the cost of getting there to add on.  The 5 day ones are about $590 double If Illinois or Indiana. They are doing a couple.
I have only done a room with another person one time.  She was even a friend but I didn't care for it. I have a hard time with my own family.

ursamajor

« Reply #5475 on: August 05, 2013, 08:01:31 AM »
We went on an Elderhostle that involved a cruise on a very small ship.  I was glad I was with my husband; my bunk was four inches shorter than I am and the only way I could sleep was to put my feet in his bed.  The toilet was two feet from my head.  If either of us wanted to shower the other had to go sit in the lounge.  This was too intimate even for a couple married nearly fifty years.

Steph

« Reply #5476 on: August 05, 2013, 08:49:25 AM »
Now thats a funny story. A very very small boat indeed. My Road Scholar trips have not been that expensive for a single, so it varies..
I will look up Edwards. I love funny mysteries.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5477 on: August 05, 2013, 05:21:27 PM »
I crossed the ocean on the Queen Mary in 1963. It was boring: the weather was bad, and we couldn't go out on deck at all. Everyone else was seasick, so I didn't even have company. Of course, we were in the cheapest rooms: no entertainment provided. And it was Winter.

Steph

« Reply #5478 on: August 06, 2013, 08:13:07 AM »
Oh how sad, The Queen Mary in the upper levels was said to be gorgeous.
Ordered the Edwards book that won the prize. She has written a lot, I see.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5479 on: August 06, 2013, 08:54:24 AM »
That sounds like us on the QEII one year but not trans Atlantic. It's interesting the difference in travel on the liners of the past and the ones today. Loved that, JoanK. At any rate my husband said never again. hahaha

Unfortunately I tried the Hiassen and I'm afraid he and I are not on the same wavelength.  He IS a good writer and writes well. I read about 1/4th of the first one, the Tourist one, but for my taste (and I'm not into that type of mystery, the  hardened PI,  the police procedural),  there were too many characters introduced in a short time, roughly sketched, just too many, like Emperor Joseph II said to Mozart: too many notes. And we know what we think of that Emperor hahaha. And while I liked his humor, his overarching attitude, to me,  is too facile and sarcastic.  He also manages to get in a lot of little snide digs, some of which are definitely not PC,  which I also did not appreciate. So I've let him go.