Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897478 times)

MaryPage

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #5480 on: August 06, 2013, 10:09:07 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK    

The funniest mysteries I ever read were the Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman, and the second funniest were all the books by Charlotte MacLeod, most expecially Rest You Merry.  But the THIRD funniest I simply cannot remember either the author or the name of the female sleuth.  Helllllllup!
She was, like Mrs. Pollifax, older.  I think older than Mrs. Pollifax.
And she lived somewhere in New England.  I think.
And she was a avid gardener.  Very avid.  Almost full time.
And the books were a hoot, and I haven't read one in, oh, at least 21 years now.
Please, can anyone identify her?  A book?

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5481 on: August 06, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
Now the first ship I came over on was the "Queen Mary." Can't say that the cabins were luxury but every thing else was. I crossed back and forth 4more times on Cunard lines and loved all of them .  The now have a new one last few years. The Queen  Victoria. Would like to try it.  I will never use a cruise line type they are packing people on now. Last one awful.do without their type of entertainment.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5482 on: August 06, 2013, 05:28:54 PM »
MARY: no, wish I could. Sounds great. The Mrs. Polifax books are among my favorite books of all time. She's who I want to be when I grow up!

Got a nice surprise when I checked my e-mail: two books I'd ordered on kindle for when they were published, arrived, including a new "Her Royal Spyness" You know what I'll br doing today!

Read another Camilla Lackberg "The Stranger". I liked her "Ice Princess, and I liked this one too. Better if I had read them in order, since "The Stranger contains what I'm sure is a spoiler for one of the earlier ones I hadn't read.

She has the bleakness that Swedish Writers seem to have (everyone has -- drum roll -- "A PAST"), but mixed with a softer streak that gives some characters the chance of a happy life.

MaryPage

« Reply #5483 on: August 06, 2013, 05:33:51 PM »
I like Camilla Lackberg a LOT!

Steph

« Reply #5484 on: August 07, 2013, 09:02:38 AM »
If you live in Florida, you get Hiaasen, he is very very close to truth and makes it sound like sarcasm..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Frybabe

« Reply #5485 on: August 07, 2013, 09:30:15 AM »
Just started Fire and Ice by Dana Stabenow while I wait for the next Kate Sugak book I ordered from the library. The library also has Craig Johnson's Longmire books. Oh, Goodie.

MaryPage

« Reply #5486 on: August 07, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »
Speaking of Florida and mysteries, Steph, have you ever read any Michael Gruber?  Set in Miami.  Very, very dark, but he is a WOW writer.

JudeS

« Reply #5487 on: August 07, 2013, 12:07:30 PM »
Steph
I think Carl Hiaasen is a clever and interesting writer. Problem is , for me, when I finish one of his books I need to take a breather and read something else. So it's one Carl Hiaasen a year that fits my schedule.
He does leave you with the feeling that the world is full of very weird people who you'd rather not know. They are very Florida specific people.

Thanks for all the new names of good Mystery writers.:Sugak, Gruber,Lackberg. Wow! I'll never have to pine for another new mystery writer again.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5488 on: August 07, 2013, 04:54:10 PM »
Jude, Shugak is the protagonist in the books by Dana Stabenow.   ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #5489 on: August 08, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »
Yes, once Hiaasen every year or so suits me as well. He really gets way out there sometimes. But if you  read our political news from Florida, you know he is not far off in his estimate of idiocy.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #5490 on: August 09, 2013, 10:23:59 AM »

From NPR, seen on Twitter

Barbara Mertz, Mystery Novelist Of Many Names, Dies

The Egyptologist and wildly prolific writer Barbara Mertz died Thursday morning, her publisher tells NPR. She was 85. A formidable scholar with a PhD in Egyptology from the University of Chicago, she wrote works of history under her own name, and dozens of mystery novels as Barbara Michaels. But perhaps her most lasting identity will be Elizabeth Peters, the author of over 30 novels about the adventures of Amelia Peabody, Egyptologist and Victorian-era amateur detective who wielded her parasol as a deadly weapon.

MaryPage

« Reply #5491 on: August 09, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »
I liked the Barbara Michaels books better than the Elizabeth Peters.  I liked them BOTH, mind;  but the Michaels were favorites of mine.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5492 on: August 09, 2013, 07:28:40 PM »
I agree.

MaryPage

« Reply #5493 on: August 10, 2013, 07:38:01 AM »
In reading her obit, I found out, for the first time ever, that her pen name Elizabeth Peters was for her two (and only) children:  Elizabeth and Peter!

Steph

« Reply #5494 on: August 10, 2013, 08:23:58 AM »
I am a total Amelia Peabody fanatic. I adored the books and know that I would have loved to have been that character. The other books were ok,, but Amelia.. ahhh Amelia.. I was so sad to hear of the death.

JudeS

« Reply #5495 on: August 10, 2013, 12:06:15 PM »
Yes, Steph,. Me too.
Amelia died along with Elizabeth Peters.

Have you read the Archeological mysteries of Agatha Christie?
Her second husband was an archeologist and she accompanied him on a number of digs. Of course Hercule Poirot accompanied her there as well.

marjifay

« Reply #5496 on: August 11, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »
I didn't know Agatha Christie wrote any mysteries set on archaeological digs.  Do you know the name(s) of any, Jude?

I am reading a very interesting book by James Michener, THE SOURCE.  He writes about a (fictional) site near Israel being dug by some archaeologists.  They bring up some interesting artifacts, and then the book goes on to talk about the people who owned the artifacts and the culture in which they lived, starting with the oldest group at the bottom of the dig and moving up to the later ones.  A long book, but it's a rather fast read.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5497 on: August 11, 2013, 11:49:06 AM »
We have a new opinion poll here in the Mystery discussion, appearing at the top of this page, and we're experimenting with this one.

We're going to ask who is the greatest mystery writer of all time. But we're not going to supply all the answers, you will fill them in as we go. Let's see how it works. I'll start with Agatha Christie and then there will be "Other." You click on Other if you wouldn't have voted for Agatha, and nominate your choice  here and we'll put your choice in the poll. Let's see what we can get, and who agrees with you or has their own choice,  should be interesting. Again it's just an experiment, as these do not allow normally for fill in the blank.

Steph

« Reply #5498 on: August 11, 2013, 12:38:48 PM »
Hmm, I will really have to think of the greatest mystery writer. There are so many different ways to look at it..

MaryPage

« Reply #5499 on: August 11, 2013, 12:39:26 PM »
I nominate Josephine Tey.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5500 on: August 11, 2013, 01:11:05 PM »
Thank you for that nomination! A choice now of three, so far for voters. There ARE a lot of things to be considered, who is the King (or Queen) in your opinion of the Mystery Hall of  Fame?

Tomereader1

« Reply #5501 on: August 11, 2013, 01:32:15 PM »
I would have to ask "what kind of mysteries"?  Classics; cozies; thriller/mysteries?  Just too many different kinds to choose.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #5502 on: August 11, 2013, 01:47:53 PM »
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
John La Carre
Edgar Allan Poe

There are just too many. My favorites may not necessarily be "the greatest", otherwise you would have to list Henning Mankell, Lindsay Davis, Lee Child and others. I am currently enjoying the Dana Stabenow novels (both the Liam Campbell and the Kate Sugak). Her novels are not lengthy, but she manages just fine to get across the scenes and people without an overabundance of description.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5503 on: August 11, 2013, 02:57:51 PM »
Oh Dear. Conan Doyle probably deserves the honor, and it's my fault that (don't tell anyone) I just don't LIKE him. But I'll just vote for Agatha.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5504 on: August 11, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »
I see I get 4 options, and there are only three people listed, so I'll wait.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5505 on: August 11, 2013, 03:02:17 PM »
Good points, All!! Ok now John le Carre is added and also Edgar Allen Poe. Good points on the type of mysteries, I have changed the question a little, thank you for the input, to read Who belongs in the Hall of  Fame as the greatest mystery writer of all time?

This time the one which gets the  most votes will  achieve the same results and we'll have a nice group of the best, I like this?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5506 on: August 11, 2013, 03:03:56 PM »
But now as the slate is getting longer people have to vote too. And as there is  a possibility of more than one vote, that means that we should see (theoretically) the top ones.  Possibly. :)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5507 on: August 11, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »
I voted for Christie and Doyle! Hooray.

I have so many authors that I really love, but don't know if they're in the same league.

I keep thinking of those who were important in the development of the genre. But most of them aren't read any more, unlike Christie and Doyle. The early "Tough Guys" (Chandler, Hammett) have really dated: they are hard to read now. The early procedurals and psychologicals are virtually unknown.

I'd put Dorothy Sayers in and the author of the Dagliesh mysteries(having a senior moment here).

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5508 on: August 11, 2013, 03:57:11 PM »
Super! Well that makes two of us but when somebody comes up with it, I'll put that author in, too. Adding Dorothy Sayers as we speak. :)

JudeS

« Reply #5509 on: August 11, 2013, 05:39:08 PM »
JoanK
I too read and loved the Adam Dagleish Mysteies. The author is P.D.James who is certainly in the top ten, if not the top five
mystery writers.
Please put her on the list.
How about Anne Perry?
Three million books in print in 42 languages. World famous now.
What say others on this writer?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5510 on: August 11, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »
PD James is up! What's the verdict on Anne Perry?

Winchesterlady

« Reply #5511 on: August 11, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
Ruth Rendell has written 70 crime novels, some of them under the name Barbara Vine. I definitely think she should be included.
~ Carol ~

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5512 on: August 11, 2013, 06:54:07 PM »
I was just looking at one of her books and thinking the same thing. Up she goes!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5513 on: August 11, 2013, 06:59:16 PM »
Oh! gosh. this is a hard one.  I have read so many thinking that was the best writer and then another would come along.  Got to see if I can remember who wrote what.
Will get back. Soon as I pick one I will read and think.  Now that is the best writer.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5514 on: August 11, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
So many have been made into movies now which then thought a great movie not thinking the book that good.  Come up with some other names soon.   Not a Agatha Christie lover.

JudeS

« Reply #5515 on: August 12, 2013, 12:00:22 AM »
Marjifay

The two Agatha Christie mysteries that relating to Archeology are :

They Came to Baghdad

Murder in Mesopotamia

Hope you enjoy them.

Steph

« Reply #5516 on: August 12, 2013, 08:43:14 AM »
Elizabeth Peters... This was Barbara Mertz, who just died. She wrote under several names and genres.. I was trying to decide what authors I can hardly wait for their novels to come out.. Janet Evanovich is another one..  Julia Spencer-Fleming.. Oh me, I dont think Could ever vote for just one..

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5517 on: August 12, 2013, 08:49:26 AM »
Elizabeth Peters is now up in our own Hall of Fame.

Have I missed anybody nominated?

You can vote for 4 as belonging. Or none, as you choose. :)

What's going to be interesting  is seeing who the majority thinks belongs there most.

MaryPage

« Reply #5518 on: August 12, 2013, 09:00:07 AM »
Julia Spencer-Fleming is most definitely a top, top, top all time favorite of mine.  As is Margaret Maron.  And Stieg Larsson.  And Dorothy Gilman.
I like Peter Robinson, too.
We MUST NOT forget Ngaio Marsh.
No one made me laugh while a mystery was solved as much as did Heron Carvic, later Hampton Charles and still later Hamilton Crane. These comprised the highly entertaining Miss Seeton series.
Minette Walters is a must up there!

Frybabe

« Reply #5519 on: August 12, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »
Thanks for adding Dorothy Sayers. I was going to list her, but with three already listed I really felt I was hogging the list.

Now to vote. Oh, Wilkie Collins isn't up there.

Sometime, I think I will take a look see what the bloggers and publishing people use as a criteria to make their all time greats lists. It has to be more than just popular.