Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897479 times)

ginny

• Administrator
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #5520 on: August 12, 2013, 09:17:01 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5521 on: August 12, 2013, 09:20:17 AM »
He is now. I hope I've got them all for our All Time Mystery  Hall of Fame! :)

It will be interesting to see who comes out on top, or the top two, in the opinions of our very well read readers.

Frybabe

« Reply #5522 on: August 12, 2013, 09:26:19 AM »
I see that the "other" reverted back to 0% when you added Wilkie Collins. I had intended the other to be him, but he is 0%. Oh well.

Part of the problem for me is that I haven't read quite a few of those who could be or are on the list, so I have no way to gauge them against the ones I have read.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5523 on: August 12, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »
Yeah that does seem to be a drawback if you remove the category it seems you lose the vote

Just vote for him again? We'll get the hang of this sooner or later I appreciate everybody's patience.   

marjifay

« Reply #5524 on: August 12, 2013, 10:27:15 AM »
I'm reading THE CUCKOO'S CALLING by Robert Galbraith (the pseudonym of J.K. Rowling), and finding it very good. She has a terrific vocabulary and the mystery is keeping me turning pages. Love her descriptions, e.g., "His hair was gray and brush-cut; his face a crumpled mass of folds, bags and moles, out of which his fleshy nose protruded like a tumor."

It's so good I may have to read one of her Harry Potter books.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5525 on: August 12, 2013, 11:03:50 AM »
marjifay, you've definitely missed some good reads by not reading Harry Potter.  You should read them in order, though - as the characters grow and develop.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

MaryPage

« Reply #5526 on: August 12, 2013, 11:06:02 AM »
Harry Potter was just the greatest treat ever.  A feast of fun!  Definitely not just for children.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5527 on: August 12, 2013, 11:25:10 AM »
Poor little poll, we've  had to remove it. Looks like all the added choices confused it and influenced the ability to vote again. So I guess one way around that would be to get the nominees first and then vote? Anyway here's the result:

Question:

Who, in your opinion, belongs in the Hall of Fame as  greatest mystery writer of all time?

Agatha Christie    6 (30%)
Arthur Conan Doyle    4 (20%)
Josephine Tey    0 (0%)
John Le Carre    2 (10%)
Edgar Allan Poe    2 (10%)
 Dorothy Sayers    1 (5%)
P.D James    2 (10%)
Ruth Rendell    1 (5%)
Elizabeth Peters    0 (0%)
Julia Spencer-Fleming    1 (5%)
 Margaret Maron    0 (0%)
 Stieg Larsson    0 (0%)
Dorothy Gilman    0 (0%)
Ngaio Marsh    0 (0%)
Heron Carvic    0 (0%)
Wilkie Collins    1 (5%)
Other: Nominate in the discussion and the name will appear here    0 (0%)

Total Voters: 9

Frybabe

« Reply #5528 on: August 12, 2013, 01:36:08 PM »
I finished Dana Stabenow's Dead in the Water last evening. I must say that for once, I was happy to have seen the "reality program" Deadliest Catch a few times. It certainly enhanced my reading, since most of the action took place on a crabbing vessel. For the book, opelio crab were in season. She also managed to get in a little Aleut history/mythology and traditional basket weaving. I also learned that the final shots of the Civil War were fired in the Bering Sea several months after Lee surrendered. The Anchorage Daily News has an article about it.
http://www.adn.com/2011/04/16/1813998/civil-wars-last-shots-were-fired.html

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5529 on: August 12, 2013, 02:06:44 PM »
If I had been able to vote, it would have been Christie  and Sayers.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5530 on: August 13, 2013, 09:01:57 AM »
It's a shame we had to stop that one, maybe next time we can get up the selections before hand. Thanks for being guinea pigs and helping us test it out! With your new  votes, Jean,  Agatha Christie would have had (so far) the most votes in our Hall of Fame.

I wonder how anybody ever picks anybody like athletes, for those Hall of Fame things.

I'm reading Her Royal Spyness, recommended here, and I'm really enjoying it. Love the humor of the author, it's fun and lighthearted and clever,  but not cloyingly trite. Strangely enough I was just looking that morning at photos of Balmoral, that's something else, isn't it? A real fairy tale looking thing.

Do they really leave the windows open in the winter?

I love the images she creates, it plunges you into another world, so far I'm really enjoying it and wishing that I could just once wake up to a crackling fire I did not  start in the winter. (As I'm typing that I realize that my husband actually does do that in the winter. He does get up early and starts a fire.  Unfortunately we don't live in a castle, so the room fills with smoke for a bit, not healthy and not appreciated by me. . Ah the joys of castle living. hahaha)

It's a fun book. Thank you to whoever (and I'm sorry I am not reading back over the comments to find out who) recommended it.

JudeS

« Reply #5531 on: August 14, 2013, 02:10:18 AM »
I've never read ,or heard of, "Her Royal Spyness" series so I looked it up.
The Author, Rhys Bowen, has a website under her name- and she posed an interesting question:
"Will E-books take over the world?"
According to the 20,000 answers she got it is a definite no.
She says it was about 20% yes and 80% no. Most people still like the feel of a book, to look at books on a shelf and remember them and to browse among books. E-books are mostly for traveling or for text books. She was surprised at how many people were audiophiles and listened to her books on tape as they did other tasks like driving, walking the dog and housework.
I will give her books a try at the next opportunity. She has two other series as well:
Molly Murphy Mysteries and Constable Evens series.

Steph

« Reply #5532 on: August 14, 2013, 08:39:06 AM »
Oh yes, Margaret Maron,Sharon McCrumb, on and on.. I think that it depends on the day and the mood..A woman named Virginia Lanier wrote a small series involving awoman who trains bloodhounds in south Georgia.Absolutely wonderful series,, but she died ( she was older when she started writing) and I think only wrote 5 books.. Another woman who died , but wrote wonderful books was Anne George..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5533 on: August 14, 2013, 04:16:49 PM »
JUDE: I'm working my way through all three Rhys Bowen series, contrary to my usual habit of not reading two books by the same author in a row, so I wont get tired of them. I'm not tired of her yet. But definitely light reading, not great literature.

"Do they (the British Royals)really leave the windows open in the winter?"

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised. They don't seem to expect the kind of luxury that we Americans usually assume goes with Royalty. Would the tartan wallpaper in the bathroom bother you as much as it did Bowen's heroine?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5534 on: August 14, 2013, 04:27:35 PM »
:) I'm not sure. I'm not sure I've ever seen any tartan wallpaper, so I have no reference. I know wallpaper tends to take on a life of its own. I put a beautiful pattern in my kitchen in the old house and it was so busy it nearly drove us all out of the house. I guess I'd have to see it first. What was your opinion of it, didn't she say also the drapes as well?

This book sure makes me want to see Balmoral, tho. You can stay right on the estate. Only thing is, the activities mentioned as available  are not those I would normally enjoy, except for the walking.

I wonder why Glamis is not where the royal family wants to go. Wasn't that the childhood home of the Queen Mother? Maybe it's still owned by her family. I've always wanted to see IT, too. Oh I see the present Earl lives there.

How OLD that thing is. They seem so hopelessly romantic when you aren't involved with them. I bet they aren't.

Steph

« Reply #5535 on: August 15, 2013, 08:50:20 AM »
Glamis is probably entailed, so the Queen Mother would not have inherited it. I wanted to see it when I was in Scotland, but it is not open to the public as far as I know.
We went to a wedding some years ago on the Balmoral grounds. Very very old chapel and then the reception was in a shooting lodge on the grounds. No private cars, we all came in small buses.

marjifay

« Reply #5536 on: August 15, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »
I went on a short tour of Balmoral Castle when we visited Edinburgh some time ago.  It seemed such a dark and dismal place, I was surprised the Royals would want to live there, even temporarily.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #5537 on: August 15, 2013, 10:14:06 AM »
No more wallpaper for me.  I remember papering my apartment's small downstairs bathroom during the 1970s.  When I finished, I stood back and looked at it. The lines in the design were just enough off-kilter to make one slightly dizzy looking at it.  Had to do it all over.

The people who lived in my house before we bought it had papered the bathroom.  But the steam from showers gradually made the wallpaper fall so we finally had to remove it all and use paint.

Marj

Frybabe

« Reply #5538 on: August 15, 2013, 10:42:23 AM »

Tomereader1

« Reply #5539 on: August 15, 2013, 12:00:22 PM »
Mystery:  If anyone saw CBS Sunday Morning, the segment on Marisha Pessl's new book was highly interesting to me as I had just "won"  an ARC of the book.  I started reading it that night, and I don't know what to call it, other than a "mind bender".  It is so spooky, and is reminiscent of something I've read or a movie that put me on edge (which of course I can't think of right now!)  It is a whopper of a book - 580 pages in ARC form.  She writes very well, and I understand her previous book "Special Topics in Calamity Physics" was a prize-winner for First Novel and was on NYT Book Review's 10 Best Books of the Year. (I didn't read it because of "calamity physics" in the title which made it sound boring)  At any rate, I am enjoying this new book, while I am being "creeped out".  
I believe they said she's only 26 years old, which is neither here nor there, but there is a greater level of maturity in the writing.  Guess it'd be nice if I said the Title:  "Night Film"

Going along in the story, I can absolutely "see" a movie being made of this.  
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5540 on: August 15, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »
That sounds good, but what is an ARC?

Tomereader1

« Reply #5541 on: August 15, 2013, 06:17:28 PM »
Advance Reader's Copy = ARC
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5542 on: August 15, 2013, 08:07:26 PM »
Oh, wow.   Thanks for explaining.   How did you come by it?

marjifay

« Reply #5543 on: August 15, 2013, 09:43:07 PM »
Marisha Pessl's debut novel, Special Topics in Calamity Physics, was not compelling enough for me to read to the end.  I read about half of it, and decided to quit.  The first part was interesting and in parts very funny, but after awhile her cleverness began to wear on me and got rather old, as if she were trying too hard to be clever.

But I'll give her second book a chance, after Tomereader's recommendation, and have put her NIGHT FILM on hold at my library.  At 624 pages, tho,' it is longer than her first book.  Amazon readers give it 4 stars which is pretty good.

Marj

Tomereader1

« Reply #5544 on: August 15, 2013, 10:45:07 PM »
Publish date for Night Film is August 20th. 

Okay, ginny, I get on the publishers website, and from time to time, they have like a sweepstakes, where you can win an Advance Readers Copy or even a published book.
I have won several books this way, I also frequent several other sites which offer sweeps for books, sometimes just win, or sometimes you comment on the book after you read it.  I will put the sites here in a later post.  They might offer 5 copies, or 10 copies. 
As a book club, I was fortunate to win enough copies of a book to give each member one.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #5545 on: August 15, 2013, 10:52:04 PM »
A great place for entering these contests is BookReporter.com
They also do great reviews!  They have a newsletter.
I got Night Film from Random House Publishing.com
I only need to comment on it when I finish.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5546 on: August 16, 2013, 01:48:17 AM »
WOW! The castle looks beautiful. And the tartan wallpaper doesn't look too bad -- I had envisioned something bright red with bright stripes: overwhelming in a small bathroom like mine!

I admit, as a popular science reader, "topics in calamity Physics" sounds interesting.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5547 on: August 16, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
Tomereader. for heavens sake. I'm proud  of you, I never read anything. That's marvelous.

That PLAID is really PLAID. I am not sure that any of that on the wall would suit, even one wall. :)

Steph

« Reply #5548 on: August 16, 2013, 08:44:16 AM »
Just finished a very light mystery.. about a dog walker in NYC.. A few nice twists.. She has written several books..Judi McCoy.

Tomereader1

« Reply #5549 on: August 16, 2013, 01:36:41 PM »
Another place to try and cadge free books is:  ReadingGroupCenter.com

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #5550 on: August 16, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »
For anyone interested in reading a real review of "Night Film", I submit the following:

Underground Idol NYT Sunday Book Review
By Joe Hill

The true believers come out at night. They meet in condemned buildings marked by the symbol of a stylized eye to watch a “night film” — one of the psychologically punishing horror pictures of Stanislas Cordova, a master filmmaker who has shunned publicity with a zeal that makes Thomas Pynchon look like a shameless attention hog. Adding to the mystique is a sense that Cordova might have retreated because he has something unsavory to hide. Bad things happen to those who try to pick his locked closet for a look at the skeletons. Consider the star reporter Scott McGrath, who plunged into disgrace after a preliminary investigation into Cordova’s secrets blew up in his face. McGrath has a score to settle, so when Cordova’s achingly gifted daughter turns up dead in a Manhattan ruin, it’s Take 2 for the unemployed journalist. Nor is McGrath the only one who wants to know what’s been going on behind the camera; in short order he’s joined by a shabby but smoldering drug dealer named Hopper and a breathless ingénue, Nora Halliday. Together, the three make an adorably awkward family of misfits, who will be even more appealing should George Clooney, Ryan Gosling and Alison Brie be cast for the movie adaptation.

NIGHT FILM

Marisha Pessl

602 pp. Random House. $28.

No one can accuse Marisha Pessl of unfamiliarity with the tools of the modern thriller. With pages of faked-up old photos, invented Web sites and satellite maps, “Night Film” — Pessl’s second novel, following “Special Topics in Calamity Physics” (2006) — asserts itself as a multimedia presentation more than an old-fashioned book. There are over a hundred chapters, most of the James Patterson two-page variety, a technique that adds a giddy accelerant to Pessl’s already zippy pacing. She also italicizes two or three sentences a page, an insecure tic like a child poking you in the ribs to ask if you’re paying attention. Unfortunately, all those italics serve to draw the reader’s notice to exactly the wrong sort of lines, clunkers like “It was too quiet” and “Had I just sealed myself inside my own coffin?” Pessl is capable of fine prose, so her willingness to serve up “Hardy Boys” nuggets like these suggests she’s willfully dumbing herself down. Still and all, “Night Film” has been precision-­engineered to be read at high velocity, and its energy would be the envy of any summer blockbuster. Your average writer of thrillers should lust for Pessl’s deft touch with character. Here’s McGrath on his ex-wife:

“When I met Cynthia our sophomore year at the University of Michigan, she was flighty and poor, a French studies major who quoted Simone de Beauvoir. She wiped her runny nose on her coat sleeve when it was snowing, stuck her head out of car windows the way dogs do, the wind fireworking her hair. That woman was gone now. Not that it was her fault. Vast fortunes did that to people. It took them to the cleaners, cruelly starched and steam-pressed them so all their raw edges, all the dirt and hunger and guileless laughter, were ironed out. Few survived real money.”

Cordova himself — a dark riff on Kubrick, with a pinch of Friedkin and a sprig of Banksy thrown in for good measure — stays offstage, casting his long, creepy shadow across the actors throughout the course of the drama. Pessl would like “Night Film” to work as a meditation on the question of whether one must be a monster to effectively portray the monstrous in art (quick real-world answer: no). But her conception of the monstrous is sweetly innocent. The book leaps from bondage clubs to mental hospitals to witchcraft supply stores, as if evil were more a matter of setting than a person’s actions. To be fair, the witchcraft emporium — which turns out to be like a voodoo Apple store, right down to the Genius Bar in back — is an exquisitely charming side trip. But the evil-as-scenery tactic grows wearisome in the novel’s central set piece, when the heroes break into Cordova’s sprawling compound in a scene that lasts almost 50 pages and feels at least twice that. In the first two-thirds of the book, Pessl captures the feel of one of Kubrick’s compact, relentless chillers, but during this not-quite-climactic climax, “Night Film” begins to feel more like one of his glacially paced statements — “Eyes Wide Shut,” without the redeeming value of celebrity nudity.

For all we get about Cordova and his films (the story lines, memorable characters, favorite motifs and symbols, casts, costumes, everything except what there was to eat at the craft service table), the story isn’t really about him at all but about his daughter, Ashley, an equally larger-than-life figure, matter to his antimatter. “Did she fall or was she pushed” is maybe a less intellectual concern than what a work of art reveals about the artist, but it serves Pessl better. Ashley Cordova at least feels like a person, whereas her father feels more like the world’s most sinister IMDb entry. She’s busy, anyway: she records a virtuoso piano performance at 14, lights a man on fire, escapes a mental ward and has more than a little of the devil in her. (This last is not necessarily a metaphorical statement.) I’m not sure the reader ever becomes fully invested in her either, but no matter. Piecing together the events of Ashley’s last days keeps the heroes moving and in constant contact with a personality that does connect: Manhattan itself, in her best-looking summer dress. In a book of colorful settings, this is a backdrop that refuses to drop back. Pessl’s renderings of Chinese grocery stores, tattoo boutiques and the dog run in Washington Square Park are bound to remind readers of the grungy thrills of a whole different director: Martin Scor­sese. Cue the Rolling Stones.

More crucially, the mystery of Ashley’s death gives the heroes plenty of opportunities to leap into trouble, fast-talk their way out of it and gradually wake to the realization that they love one another. Pessl is at her best here, when she’s least ambitious and her focus is pinned to her three amateur detectives as they negotiate the unmapped terrain of affection and trust in sweet, breezy dialogue: “I told you. I love you. And not as a friend or a boss, but real love. I’ve known it for 24 hours,” Nora tells McGrath, who responds, “Sounds like a stomach bug that will pass.”

In simple, unadorned moments like these, when her heroes seem at least as interested in one another as in a dead girl or absent auteur, “Night Film” settles into the relaxed rhythms of a Ross Macdonald mystery, with a dirt and hunger and guileless laughter that are all Pessl’s own.

"/>Joe Hill is the author of several novels, including “NOS4A2,” and a comic book series, “Locke & Key.”

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #5551 on: August 16, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »
I loved the review almost as much as I'm enjoying the book.  LOL!!!

André Maurois

marjifay

« Reply #5552 on: August 17, 2013, 07:45:40 AM »
JoanK, Pessl's book, Special Topics in Calamity Physics, is not about science, popular or otherwise.  If it had been, I'd not have gotten thru the first chapter.  (Science is not my cuppa, LOL)

It's about a 16-year-old very intelligent girl, Blue van Meer, who follows her college professor father as they move from college town to college town.  In her senior high school year, she iis befriended by the Bluebloods, an elite group of students.  Their teacher is found dead, hanging from a tree.  

Marj

Steph

« Reply #5553 on: August 17, 2013, 08:40:53 AM »
Hmm,another new author for me. Will look her up..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5554 on: August 17, 2013, 02:25:43 PM »
I have a sample of Calamity Physics: I'll let you know if I get through it, when I finish my Rhys Bowen splurge. The current one features Harry Houdini as a character (Molly brown, detective) "The Last Illusion"

And here is Judi McCoy. I have her sample, too.  

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/judi-mccoy/

Steph

« Reply #5555 on: August 18, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »
McCoy is very light fiction, but fun.Her heroine talks to and understands dogs..Interesting to a dog lover. Since I have at least one dog who can count ( just tryand cheat him on treats) and when you talk to him, he rolls his eyes and tilts his head..

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #5556 on: August 18, 2013, 11:19:02 AM »
Remember Jackson Brodie?  He was the main man in a Masterpiece Mystery a while back, a policeman, had a very cute little daughter, his sister was murdered when he was a boy.  I'm reading about him again in Kate Atkinson's Started Early, Took My Dog, several years later. (Marlee, the daughter is now an adolescent.

Warning:  Do not read this on a Kindle.  I'm enjoying the book immensely.  It draws one to it.  But there are so many different paths and different characters, I keep wanting to turn back the pages and check on something.  Not the easiest thing to do on a kindle.

Different subject:  Really looking forward to tonight's Masterpiece Mystery.  I didn't know The Lady Vanishes was originally a Hitchcock film.  Sounds good.

MaryPage

« Reply #5557 on: August 18, 2013, 11:45:48 AM »
I read that, and all of the Jackson Brodie books, as well, Pedln.  Am hoping Atkinson comes up with a new one featuring Jackson.

marjifay

« Reply #5558 on: August 18, 2013, 11:23:01 PM »
I just finished a great mystery, EVA'S EYE, by Karin Fossum, a Norwegian author.  This is the fifth Inspector Sejer mystery, but the first published in America. Investigating the murder of a man who had been missing for months, Inspector Sejer and his team discover that his death is linked to the murder of a prostitute and to Eva, a struggling artist who holds the key to solving both murders. Excellent, suspenseful mystery.  Very good writing. 

Steph

« Reply #5559 on: August 19, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »
Wish I liked Atkinson,So many people do. I just seem to struggle with her.
I am trying another Rhys Bowen.. Did not like Molly, but am enjoying the light royal one.