Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 899492 times)

maryz

• Z's World
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #640 on: March 27, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

Steph, I was like you about wanting to see the Kindle before I bought.   Fortunately, a friend let me borrow her Kindle over a weekend, and I was sold.  I've not seen one of the B&N e-readers, though.  Several friends and family have bought after seeing and handling mine.  Kate (our daughter who bought one) and I share an Amazon account.  We each order and pay for our own books, but we can read each others books - even both read the same one at the same time - at different paces.   Maybe one of your friends has one you could handle - ask around.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #641 on: March 27, 2010, 09:03:44 AM »
  I just picked up a couple of the Patricia Sprinkle mysteries that someone recommended here.
I decided I wanted something like that as a rest from the heavier "Troublesome Young Men",
even though the latter is engrossing reading.  They are billed as 'thoroughly Southern' mysteries, but wouldn't you know...the first one I opened is set in Scotland!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #642 on: March 27, 2010, 11:50:47 AM »
I have just finished "Dead Eyes" by Stuart Woods.  http://stuartwoods.com/

It is a fascinating book about an entertainer who is being stalked.  It is something that people in the public eye have to contend with.  Someone who becomes obsessed can prey on them.  This young woman does all of the right things...1..ignores it, 2..Notifies the police and works with them to finally find out who it was.  Very good read IMO.

mrssherlock

« Reply #643 on: March 27, 2010, 12:12:09 PM »
In Krista Davis' Diva series, each chapter is introduced with a "Dear Heloise" type question which is answered by either Natasha, Diva's arch rival, or the Diva herself.  Here is my favorite (so far)
Dear Natasha,
My in-laws are arriving in droves and they expect to stay with us.  I have to work and don't have time for all the extra meals and laundry.  What to do?  - Crowded in Cranston

Dear Crowded,
Everyone deserves fresh 1,000-count Egyptian cotton sheets and fluffy down pillows.  A gracious hostess pampers her guests.  Get up a few hours early to make breakfast and clean.  The extra effort will be worth it.  If you have to be gone during the day, hire a limousine to show them around in style.  - Natasha
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #644 on: March 27, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »
For once I went tro the library armed with a list of all the authors you all have recommended. They didn't have many of them, but got a few. I'll report as I read them.

That "Women Sleuths" is really something! But what is that "Boob Sisters" they are pushing so?

winsummm

« Reply #645 on: March 27, 2010, 02:45:03 PM »
barns andnoble a much smaller selection and confusing. In the year I have had kindle Ihave read over a hundred books at a rate off about eight a month with severa samples to explore and several books of different types in preading. I seem to have a catholic taste which changes frequently as to catagory. Now in the light mystery stuff, previously current financial and political books which is  much slower. i.e. one down and one still going in the financial area. another about the evolution of robots WIRED FOR WAR  which is  what they were in the beginning designed to be weapons . . .almost through with that one.  there are newspapers and magazines as well but I use my computer for all of that it is free.,

I spend a lot of money on it but am being financed by the gift giver for that. go for it.claire
thimk

winsummm

« Reply #646 on: March 27, 2010, 02:48:18 PM »
and I loved Krista Davis diva series   which led me to other woman athors  doing he cooking thing as well in that kind of format. lots of chuckles there but I skipped some becuase they interferred with the stoory line and went back alter.

claire
thimk

salan

« Reply #647 on: March 27, 2010, 05:31:19 PM »
I am also interested in the Kindle, but???  How much does it cost to download books (on the average)?  I can see that it would be good for travel and for getting books that are hard to find.  Thankfully I don't have any physical problems, so larger print and easier handling is not particularly an advantage for me (yet!).  It seems like it would be more expensive to get books this way than to check them out at the library or order them used, or with free shipping.  Those of you that have a Kindle, I would appreciate your input on this.
Sally

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #648 on: March 27, 2010, 06:30:06 PM »
Salan, in general, the most expensive books are $9.99, even ones that sometimes can be ordered pre-publication (to be delivered on publication date).  Some classics are even less,  some free.  John wanted to reread Huckleberry Finn, and it was $0.25 (no shipping, of course).  And you can get samples of books for free - usually the first chapter - at least enough to let you know whether or not you want to buy it.

The flip side of that is that you might be buying a book that you wanted to read only once, that you could get for free from the library.  And, unless you share an account with someone, you can't pass the book on to someone else to read.  And not all older books are on Kindle, i.e., Michener, Robert Caro, and a couple of others that I wanted to reread.  I do share the Kindle with John sometimes (when I'm feeling very generous  ::) ).

I share an account with our daughter.  Both of us still read some books from the library - just ones that we don't want to own.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #649 on: March 28, 2010, 06:18:41 AM »
I have yet to find a friend who has a kindle.. Darn..I will keep looking however.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #650 on: March 28, 2010, 08:57:32 AM »
Okay, I don't want any advice from Natasha!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

salan

« Reply #651 on: March 28, 2010, 05:18:25 PM »
Ummm, Natasha sounds very "Martha Stewart" to me--totally unrealistic about relating money and time to the average person!
Sally

salan

« Reply #652 on: March 28, 2010, 05:24:09 PM »
I just finished my first (that I can recall) J.D. Robb-Naked in Death.  I enjoyed it and it held my interest to the end.  I plan on reading more.

Steph, congrats on purchasing your first car alone.  I am 67 yrs old and have never purchased one all by myself.  I have a Honda Civic and love it, but will probably be purchasing a new car in the next year.  My Civic doesn't have that many miles on it, but it sits so low that it is hard for me to get in and out of it.  I will be looking at small suvs-probably a Honda.

Sally

Steph

« Reply #653 on: March 29, 2010, 06:03:43 AM »
Sally, I am 72 and never ever had bought a car alone, so I know you can do it.. I love the CRV. I have two small dogs and want to take them along.. We had an RV which I could not drive, I sold it, but still would like to do some traveling, so hopefully the CRV will help.
I also got the Elderhostel catalogue. Lots of wonderful things to do.. Now to figure out which one I want to try. No flying this summer, so must be a drivable or trainable one.

winsummm

« Reply #654 on: March 29, 2010, 08:53:03 AM »
babi:  advice from natasha agreed but how about SOPHI, the competision. these are amusing both of them :-\
thimk

mabel1015j

« Reply #655 on: March 29, 2010, 12:27:11 PM »
I'm attending an excellent Elderhostel/Exploritas program near me, but they have it all over the country - Women and Political Leadership. The nice thing about it is that it's Thursday afternoons at 3:00 for 6 sessions. It's being given at a senior community near me. Two of the presenters, so far, have been long-term, high-level State Dept people. The woman last week knew and talked about Madeline Albright, Condoleeza Rice, Colin Powell and HIllary Clinton.............Steph, if this would interest you, maybe you can find one of those near you. ......... jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #656 on: March 29, 2010, 06:15:53 PM »
Sounds great, Jean.  I haven't heard about one with this format before.  We have been to a one-day progam, though.  Is this a women-only program? or just about women and politics?

Steph

« Reply #657 on: March 30, 2010, 06:15:42 AM »
I have been to the three day elderhostels, but never a single day one or one a week. Interesting if I can find one close enough.

Babi

« Reply #658 on: March 30, 2010, 09:01:48 AM »
 CLAIRE, all I know about either of them is what I gleaned from your post, so I know nothing about SOPHI.
 I watched Martha Stewart a time or two, and wondered where she found the time to do all that. Since I am no 'Wonder Woman', I made no attempt at any of her suggestions and
ignored her thereafter.

mrssherlock

« Reply #659 on: March 30, 2010, 12:19:38 PM »
Babi:  Sophie is The Diva of the title and she has her own column answering readers questions: 

Dear Sophie:
I can't believe the cost of flowers.  Everyone says not to do them yourself but I can't see any way around that. Is it tacky to use flowers from my mother's garden?
--Tossing the Bouquet in Basye
Dear Tossing:
It's never tacky to use flowers from your garden!  They don't have to come from a florist to be beautiful.  Time your wedding to coincide with flowers you love.   On the day before the wedding invite friends to an informal flower arranging party.  Use seashells. marbles, or glass vase gems to weigh the vases down so they won't tip over.  For a country wedding, choose canning jars and wildflowers.  There's no end to the possibilities--wicker baskets, terra cotta bowls, tiny galvanized buckets. or wrap empty tin cans with anything from satin ribbons to bundled twigs.
--Sophie
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #660 on: March 30, 2010, 03:02:37 PM »
I'll remember that the next time I give a flower aranging party. Should I have my sheets of gold handy?

A friend of mine (gay) said he loved Martha Stewart until she explained how to make an Easter basket. You start months before by growing the grass in the basket ....

mrssherlock

« Reply #661 on: March 30, 2010, 07:28:31 PM »
It's so obvious, why didn't I think of that.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #662 on: March 31, 2010, 05:45:57 AM »
I am a confirmed Martha hater.. Way too fussy a lady to suit me. MDH gave me a placque several years ago.. SAys.. Martha Stewart doesnt live here..

Babi

« Reply #663 on: March 31, 2010, 09:52:09 AM »
 Ah, there now...Sophie is a gal after my own heart. I could never really
sympathize with the types who felt they absolutely had to have a hundred white doves for their wedding...to be held, of course, at the Taj Mahal. 

I would proudly display that plaque, STEPH.  :)

Steph

« Reply #664 on: April 01, 2010, 06:32:57 AM »
Started reading the latest Minette Walters.. At least I think it is the latest. She pulls you in from the first page. I do like her very much.

Babi

« Reply #665 on: April 01, 2010, 09:10:01 AM »
 Minette Walters is good.  It's been a while since I read one of her books, tho'. What's the
title on this one, STEPH?

mabel1015j

« Reply #666 on: April 01, 2010, 12:04:42 PM »
Finished my second V.I. Warshawski mystery, Indeminity Only. It was a little less "technical" than Deadlock, which was about shipping on the Great Lakes. This one was about insurance fraud. I had to suspend reality every once in a while - she took a 15 yr old from her home w/ no resistence from her family, and she took on 3 thugs and won, but that's o.k., it's fiction! I like Vic and the story is just long enough to be a satisfying nighttime read...................jean

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #667 on: April 01, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »
Just finished an interesting story "Woman with Birthmark An Inspector Van Veeteren Mystery" by Swedish author Hakan Nesser.  Well written and kept my interest.  A little blurb -- "Inspector Van Veeterren and his associates are left bewildered by the curious murder of a man shot twice in the heart and twice below the belt..."

Steph

« Reply #668 on: April 02, 2010, 05:44:27 AM »
The Minette Walters book is    The Something Feather. Very up to date.. About someone being kidnapped in the middle east.. I really love the book,although in some ways I could shake the lead. She seems to have made herself from a brave independent woman who covered wars to a shivering piece of humanity hiding in the English countryside. I really dont quite understand her, but as always Minette turns you around and around over and over. I do like her books.

Babi

« Reply #669 on: April 02, 2010, 10:30:41 AM »
 I'll see if my library has it, STEPH.  They may not, if it is new.  We're
feeling the budget pinch all over in my small town. 

mrssherlock

« Reply #670 on: April 02, 2010, 12:00:35 PM »
Even when I don't quite like one of her books I'm still glad for the experience.  My library does have The Devil's Feather!
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #671 on: April 03, 2010, 06:17:01 AM »
I am almost at the end of the Devils Feather and simply hate for it to end. She twists you around about six different ways and comes at you with true things that hurt when you think of them. I really like her.

mrssherlock

« Reply #672 on: April 03, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »
Steph:  What a vivid description.  Yes, I do feel twisted when I read one of her books; she is a manipulator of my emotions and my intellect.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #673 on: April 03, 2010, 12:11:38 PM »
Just finished The Devil's Feather...  This quote hits home with me ..  " If you stare too long in the abyss, the abyss stares back at you.  The past five months have been my abyss and I am trying hard to step back.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #674 on: April 03, 2010, 03:02:22 PM »
David Fulmer "The Blue Door". One of the tender "tough guys" if you know what I mean. Not my usual genre, but I would read another, I guess. It cautiously introduces a romance between a white man and an African-American woman. From the writing, I thought it was written in the 70s, but I see it's coyright 2008.

Steph

« Reply #675 on: April 04, 2010, 06:07:53 AM »
I discovered Fulmer about a year ago. He is a wonderful writer. It always sounds as if they are older books, but he a current writer. His New Orleans series is a wonderful and shocking book.. I have two of us at the house on my sooner or later list. They have the reverse type of love.. Female  is a quadroon and the male is a mix as well.. But they seem to mostly take place in the black section and the early jazz era.

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #676 on: April 04, 2010, 09:50:22 AM »
I am currently reading "The Messenger" by Daniel Silva.  The main character is an art restorer who works for Israeli intelligence.  A group of terrorists decides to kill the pope.  They detonate four bombs during the Easter mass.  I like Gabrien, the main character.  His child was killed and his wife put in an insane assylum in a previous case.  I find it interesting but not compelling, however I am only half way through it.

Recently I read a more compelling one by Stuart Woods called "Dead Eyes".  It involved a movie star and a stalker.  I reported on it before.

mrssherlock

« Reply #677 on: April 04, 2010, 01:21:26 PM »
David Fulmer is now on my list.  Daniel Silva is another author that I will read as soon as a new book appears.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #678 on: April 05, 2010, 05:45:13 AM »
I was in a down down mood so I picked up a Fannie Flagg that I had around.. Not heavy, but somehow comforting.. I also have Scarpatta,, which I was amazed to discover that is so like her last book, that I keep thinking i have read it. But the plot tells me no.. But its almost like she plugged in a new plot and simply kept everything else the same.

Babi

« Reply #679 on: April 05, 2010, 09:36:26 AM »
 It happens, STEPH, especially when the author is expected to churn out a yearly (at least) book
and is drawing a blank.  Preachers have been know to do it, too.  No time to write a fresh sermon?  Haul out one of the old ones and dust it off.