Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 899462 times)

winsummm

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #720 on: April 19, 2010, 06:59:07 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

=================================================================

mary likewise re stuart woods I like Holly a lot but stone is a wobbly mess.
he needs some new characters. In his seventies now mayb a granpa would work.  not a grandma. it's been done often enough especially by the english. but all those sexual musings could be funny in a frustrated old guy.
thimk

Steph

« Reply #721 on: April 20, 2010, 05:58:01 AM »
Glad to hear that others feel like Stuart as I do. I liked his first ones, but now dont even bother to look at them.
There was another author ( Male ) who did that. His first books are wonderful.. But then he started writing about a man in Palm Beach who works for his Daddys law firm, dates anything breathing and solves crimes . I keep thinking his name is Archie, but just not sure.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

mrssherlock

« Reply #722 on: April 20, 2010, 11:50:41 AM »
Mark April 27 on your calendar for that's the date of the 20th Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes book. The God of the Hive!
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

mrssherlock

« Reply #723 on: April 20, 2010, 04:05:34 PM »
PS:  I stumbled on this site and thought it was worth sharing:  http://www.mysteryloverskitchen.com/
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Frybabe

« Reply #724 on: April 20, 2010, 04:13:19 PM »
Interesting link mrssherlock. I don't recall reading mysteries or other books that include recipes or craft instructions. I do have several cookbooks that include some narrative though. Years ago, someone wrote a cookbook based on Sherlock Holmes dinners. Then there is my "Cat Who Cookbook" which I have had for three years and have yet to try any of the recipes.

salan

« Reply #725 on: April 20, 2010, 05:49:31 PM »
Lifetime movie channel has had 2 Patricia Cornwell movies the past 2 weeks.  I DVR'd them and then watched at my leisure (skimming thru commercials).  I was very disappointed in them.  The main character (ambitious DA) was played by Andie McDowell.  Her acting was very poor in these films.  Now I may have to reassess what I think about her acting skills.  Did any of you watch and what did you think?
Sally

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #726 on: April 20, 2010, 06:36:24 PM »
salan, I didn't see the movies, but others have commented either here or on Seniors & Friends - and have unanimously panned both of them.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

winsummm

« Reply #727 on: April 21, 2010, 12:20:02 AM »
never ever run out of something new to read. You can choose from thousands at Amazon through your Kindle. They arrive in about a minute. I have 123 in my archives for any time re-reading and seven in the current index after pruning the samples. it is worth it I think. every cent I spend on them.  The samples are oten enough to keep me up to three ree chapters at a trow.

go for it girls.

claire
thimk

winsummm

« Reply #728 on: April 21, 2010, 12:23:47 AM »
a series about the white house chef has recipes. one is called STATE OF THE ONION   another is HAIL TO THE CHEF. etc. you get the picture all these lady writes have puns for titles. it does attract one. these are good reads.  I forget the author but amazon and google would know.

claire
thimk

Steph

« Reply #729 on: April 21, 2010, 05:50:00 AM »
There is a whole subseries on food.. Diane Mott Davidson is the most famous.. Then there is Joanne Fluke,, the white house series,a candy series... cupcakes.. etc. They all share  in common too big a passionf or butter and sugar..
The craft books??  quilts, antiques,etc.. Most if not all are cozies..

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #730 on: April 21, 2010, 08:55:12 AM »
JoanK, I haven’t read any Mary Daheim in a long time, but for years I really like her Alpine series, with what’s-her-name – the newspaper editor.  I think I got as far as the M’s or O’s – Alpine Obit. But Vi Agra is a new one to me.    And isn’t there also a bed and breakfast series?

STEPH: and I love the Shopoholic series: it lets me feel superior. I hate shopping so much, I will go without things forever rather than shop for them. (bookstores are the exception, of course).

JoanK, there’s always computer shopping, of course. (Another version of let your fingers do the walking.)  Don’t let anyone tell you it’s faster.  I spent the whole darn weekend looking for white pants and finally ordered from a place never heard of.  We’ll see if they can be worn to a wedding. Next – shoes than can be worn all day and walked in and still go to the wedding.

Where does The Promise of Lumby fit in the series.  That’s the one copy my library has.  Is that the first one?

I love Louise Penny, but again, my library has but one title – her latest, The Brutal Telling  -- sooo good.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #731 on: April 21, 2010, 10:13:01 AM »
Someone in Latin class just posted this link.  Really unbelievable, and of course, brought to mind that Icelandic mystery writer whose name I can't remember.  Indriassohn Arnaldur?  Something like that.

Volcano Photos

mrssherlock

« Reply #732 on: April 21, 2010, 01:02:03 PM »
Astounding.  Looking at these pix while local PBS talk show was discussing the Big One, a quake on the Cascadia Subduction Zone, which would be 8 or higher and would be felt from BC to Northern California.  It is coming, may be overdue, but who knows when.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_subduction_zone
Jackie

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #733 on: April 21, 2010, 10:30:32 PM »
Pedlin, I also thought of the author from Iceland, Arnaldur Indridason.  I've read several of his books and just finished his newest book Hypothermia, A Reykjvik Murder Mystery.  I like his books although I find his characters to be somewhat depressing in their outlook on life.

Steph

« Reply #734 on: April 22, 2010, 05:58:02 AM »
I read somewhere that Iceland has a very very high rate of depression and suicide.. The climate seems to affect them. The pictures are spectacular. I have had three different email correspondents send me pictures.
Just finished another Jonathon Kellerman.. Evidence.. I really liked it. Nice plot with just enough twisting and turning. As always Milo and Alex followed through

Babi

« Reply #735 on: April 22, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »
PEDLIN, those pictures are awesome.

I suppose all the far northern countries have less sunshine, and I believe that is one reason for
the high depression rates and suicides.  We are a species that seems to need a certain amount
of 'cheerful' sunshine.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

winsummm

« Reply #736 on: April 22, 2010, 01:48:31 PM »
pedin I check he mary daheim books which have a free one at amazzon on kidle but it is reviewed as dated and wordy . another food oriented one  something to do with suzette. have you read may of them?
thimk

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #737 on: April 22, 2010, 02:45:54 PM »
The suzette book isn't particularly about food. It and the Vi Agra book are part of Daheim's bed and breakfast series. I put them in a class of "books I read when I don't have anything better".

I never got into her Alpine series, because I could never get the books near the beginning of the series, and the later book I tried, was all tied up refering to things that happened in earlier books. Thats the problem with writers who accumulate "continueing characters". Hard for anyone who comes in in the middle of the series.

I just finished "The Brutal Telling". I thought it had great strengths and great weaknesses. Can't be more specific without giving away plot. But one thing: as a fanatic birder (bird watcher) I hate it when people get things wrong about birds, and there's a real "howler" of a mistake in the book.

mrssherlock

« Reply #738 on: April 22, 2010, 04:59:24 PM »
Another new author of whom I have become a fan is Anna Dean.  In Bellfield Hall she deftly blends all the Regency English Country Home Murder cliches in a fresh and witty way.  As I turned each page I was eager to see which stereotype she would skewer next.  All very straight-faced, of course.  No hint of a wink at the clever reader for spotting the chestnut.  Wonder how long I'll have to wait for the next example of Dido Kent's mystery-solving skills. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/anna-dean/moment-of-silence.htm
Jackie

winsummm

« Reply #739 on: April 22, 2010, 06:41:29 PM »
birder books:  BORDER SONG  was discussed a while back.  loaded with birds by James Lynch.  I loved it. via kindle of course.
claire
thimk

Steph

« Reply #740 on: April 23, 2010, 05:53:25 AM »
Catching up on the J.D. Robb that I had missed. This one involves another policewomans death. Interesting thus far.

Babi

« Reply #741 on: April 23, 2010, 08:44:35 AM »
Anna Dean does sound entertaining, JACKIE.  I do hope my library has
something of hers. I'll check on it while I'm there this morning.

I'm reading a Preston Childs story, "The Wheel of Darkness". I'm afraid
agent Pendergast is beginning to put me off.  Nobody, I mean nobody,
could possibly know everything on every subject, including the esoteric
subjects that would take years of study all by themselves. Maybe, if he was
three thousand years old, with several lifetimes to explore them all.  :P
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #742 on: April 23, 2010, 10:48:54 AM »
LOL, Babi. I LOVE Pendergast. It's when he starts making mistakes that I am put off. :-)

"The Wheel of Darkness" is my least favorite Pendergast book, but, of course, I read every word! I can't wait for the latest story, FEVER DREAM, to be released May 11!

winsummm

« Reply #743 on: April 23, 2010, 12:06:29 PM »
steph.  I read and read until I had read most of j.d. robb and suddenly Eve annoyed me, such a bad tempered b--ch. If there is a new protagonist I'd be interested .  she was plugging in too much sex too, pages and pages of it just to sell more books.

so what  is this new one again. will ask google and will NOT pay ten bucks for it either.  grrr.
thimk

Steph

« Reply #744 on: April 24, 2010, 05:57:16 AM »
Eve is the protagonist in this one as well. I agree about the sex, but that is how Nora Roberts makes her living and a good one it is. She is incredibly popular. I dont like her regular books, but like Eve and skip the sex.. I like the side character.. Peabody, etc very much.

winsummm

« Reply #745 on: April 24, 2010, 02:26:01 PM »
I like peabody too. she is the foil for eve and has my over eating problem too. I can identify.
yesterday I tried a romance novel again driven  by relationships and sex but well done. I thought it was an evanovich pseudonym because of a list of them but it wasn't. I did finish it in one day and that is enough for me.  I like to learn something fresh in the setting of any book as well as identifying with the characters and caring about what happens to them.
I was just on the cell phone with joanK trying to keep my earplugs in which got old fairly fast so had to quit
 my plan lets me rollover minutes so I have thousands of free ones  for the usa. Anyhow the problem I just realized was the battery so It is charging as I speak.  anyone who would like to try telephone with me email and I'll give you a call to see if it works for us.

Claire
thimk

winsummm

« Reply #746 on: April 24, 2010, 02:31:57 PM »
babi I like CHILDS   buit not PRESTON  and disliked Pendergast from day  one.  However when they or/ he are/is good, they/he is/are very very good.loved the first ones about a museum and its underworld.

so it is hard to use  pronouns when I separate them ::)
thimk

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #747 on: April 24, 2010, 03:16:15 PM »
Had a great time talking to Clare. I'm up for it, anytime (well, not at 4AM).

mabel1015j

« Reply #748 on: April 24, 2010, 06:02:01 PM »
Had to have a stress test this week so wanted to take something really entertaining to read over the 5 hrs, so i went to the library and got - again - Finger Licking Fifteen - STephenie Plum. Between my knitting and the reading, it did the trick - my blood pressure was low and i made it thru the treadmill test, hitting my required heart rate. Then i had the rest of the book to enjoy for a couple of days...............laughing out-loud, of course. I wish they'd hurry up and make a movie or a tv series out of these books. Of course, we love the characters so much that we've "seen" in our minds, we probaby will not be satisfied w/ the casting or the script. But i wish they'd try, i think they are so ripe for viewing. Lulu is prominent in this book - she saw the chef being beheaded, so now the crazy killers are after her -  and i have a very definite picture of her and know exactly how her voice will sound, so i'm sure i will be disappointed w/ the recreation. Same w/ Grandma Mazur - she's just "Maa" from Golden Girls for me. I like this story, it's added a new dimention to Stephenie w/ Ranger talking about her insight and observation skills and obviously respecting her for something other than her body as he has called her in to help solve the break-ins at his security clients. ............

I also skip the sex pages in J.D. Robb - they're all the same - been there, done that - so to speak......... ;D ;D ....................jean

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #749 on: April 24, 2010, 09:07:21 PM »
Reading Sheer Folly A Daisy Dalrymple Mystery by Carola Dunn.  It's a pleasurable read after the last two books which were about the underbelly of the crime world.  Couldn't finish the second book--just too depressing.  Now, Daisy is definitely not depressing.

Steph

« Reply #750 on: April 25, 2010, 06:07:23 AM »
Oh good. I had tried a Dunn book and found it was just too too depressing.
They are making a Plum movie, but Katherine Heigl.. Boo.. a no talent blonde.. Cant say I see her as a "Joisy" girl..
I agree that Estelle Getty from Golden Girls is Grandma Mazur, but she died.. But the physical type is just right..Small ,skinny and feisty.

Babi

« Reply #751 on: April 25, 2010, 08:53:13 AM »
 I think I followed that, CLARE.   ;)  And I agree, I did enjoy the museum
stories. MARCIE says she least liked 'Wheel of Darkness', so maybe it was
one he just carried too far.

Keep your ears open, JEAN. If you hear about any studio buying an option
on the Evanovich series, you can immediately let them know who should be playing those roles. 
  OOPS, too late.  STEPH says someone is already making a Plum movie and she definitely doesn't like the choice of star. I don't know Heigl; I'll
have to check that out.

mrssherlock

« Reply #752 on: April 25, 2010, 10:49:49 AM »
The Parisian Prodigal, by Alan Gordon, takes place in 1205 in Toulouse.  The local Count is astounded when a man arrive and announces he is the Count's full brother.  Theo, Chief Fool, is the Count's ally and confident and promises to check with the Fool's Guild in Paris for info about the man and his claim. This is an exciting find, a unique milieu, hints that the Fool's Guild is more than simply a trade organization, charming characters in Theo and his family, confusing political alliances,  and best of all Gordon has written eight books!  Better yet, my library has all of them!!

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/alan-gordon/
Jackie

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #753 on: April 25, 2010, 01:44:50 PM »
Sounds interesting jackie. I will be looking for that one. JoanGrimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

mrssherlock

« Reply #754 on: April 25, 2010, 03:34:48 PM »
Joan:  Seems I've started with book #8 and there are references to other exploits which I assume are recounted in an earlier book.  Next I'll read #1, Thirteenth Night. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/alan-gordon/thirteenth-night.htm
Jackie

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #755 on: April 25, 2010, 03:39:43 PM »
Well,  I did check it out and it looks like something I would like but it is not on kindle nor is there a big print version.  So I guess I will not be able to read that series...although I would enjoy it I am sure.Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Steph

« Reply #756 on: April 26, 2010, 05:44:51 AM »
Katherine is the whiny resident on Grays Anatomy on tv.. She is very blonde, very pretty and much much the blonde of the year.. But not particularly talented in anything I have seen her in. She does chic flicks as well.

Babi

« Reply #757 on: April 26, 2010, 08:39:18 AM »
"The Parisian Prodigal" does sound interesting. I hope my library has
Alan Gordon.  He's a new name to me.

I've never seen anything with Katherine Heigl in it, as far as I know.  My daughter Val
watches Grey's Anatomy, tho'.  I'll have to ask her what she thinks of Heigl.  Val is also
a Stephanie Plum fan, so I'll also ask what she thinks of that role-casting.

mabel1015j

« Reply #758 on: April 26, 2010, 12:20:43 PM »
Did anyone see the Sara Paretsky  column in the Sunday Parade Magazine? She talked about "How Sports Can Chnge a Girl's Life." She is a voluteer in a program called Girls in the Game. She said "Two yrs ago, i went to a GIG day camp to find out more. I jumped rope, played softball and sat in on grps working on skits that tackled that day's issue: how to stand up to your peers whn they want you to do something you know is wrong. I loved being there. Growing up, i enjoyed sports, even tho cpatains always ;icked me last. As an adult, i love voluteering w/ GIG and the fact that i can be 60-plus and play w/ the girls and none of us worry abt how we look or how well we do. ............Recently, 10 yr old Imani showed me how to throw a football. Catching it, she took the time to shout, 'Good job!' before throwing it back.

Apparently the girls learn sports along w/ values, assertiveness and leadership. Sounds like V.I. Warshawski.......... :P..........jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #759 on: April 26, 2010, 04:14:07 PM »
Wonderful story! I knew I liked Paretsky. In the books, VI always plays on a team (volleyball?)