Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 866451 times)

Frybabe

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #8320 on: September 17, 2016, 06:23:33 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Now I wonder why I keep getting you and JoanK mixed up when it comes to math.

That reminds me, does anyone know how Pearson is doing? I have not seen her in the discussions in a long time.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8321 on: September 20, 2016, 05:39:43 PM »
The idea hits my hot buttons, too. Having worked with math algorithms, I know how fallable they can be.

"Kids don't learn logical thinking or civics today." those are two of my hot buttons too. Our whole system is based on balance of power, checks and balances. While it's certainly far from perfect, it's the best that humankind has come up with. but it needs a citizenry that understands it and supports it.

And logical thinking! Pat and I were lucky enough to have a geometry teacher who taught logic (as well as geometry -- I use the logic every day, and rarely use the geometry).  wouldn't be that hard to put it into  the curriculum. 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8322 on: September 20, 2016, 05:46:33 PM »
My friend who reads romances always talks about Georgette Heyer. Not being a romance reader,  never read her until  ran across a detective story by her the other day: the Inspector Hardcastle series.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/h/georgette-heyer/

They are dated: she creates a batch of completely zany people and isolates them in a manor house with a murder.  enjoyed the first one in the series, but made the mistake of starting the second one. I think one is enough.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #8323 on: September 21, 2016, 11:15:33 AM »
Frybabe, you get us mixed up because our voices are identical.  ;)

Frybabe

« Reply #8324 on: September 21, 2016, 11:21:58 AM »
Hah! So, that's it, PatH.  ;D

JoanK, I think the only Georgette Heyer I've read is The Black Moth, which, according to Wikipedia, was her first.

Frybabe

« Reply #8325 on: September 26, 2016, 05:46:30 AM »
Added to my Kindle this morning, The Great Taxicab Robbery: A True Detective Story. by James Collins. Ought to be interesting. The robbery referred to was in 1912, with the book published the same year. Most of the book is set in NYC. Rhinelander Waldo was Police Commissioner at the time. What a name. Lots of pix of the people involved.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8326 on: September 26, 2016, 05:08:29 PM »
 I think I've heard of the event it's based on. Let us know if it's interesting.

I get impatient with Laura Levine's humor sometimes, but the latest one, "Murder Has Nine Lives", I found really funny. Jaine's cat, Prozak, is tapped to be the spokescat for a new diet cat food. needless to say, it doesn't end well.

maeve

« Reply #8327 on: September 28, 2016, 03:17:15 PM »
I just finished Donna Leon's The Girl of His Dreams  It's the 17th in the series but it's the first of her books that I've read.  I liked it.  Has anyone else read any of these books?

MaryH

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #8328 on: September 28, 2016, 03:27:04 PM »
That is a new author for me.  Are they mysteries?
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

maeve

« Reply #8329 on: September 28, 2016, 03:39:40 PM »
Yes, they are mysteries and take place in Venice, a new location for me.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #8330 on: September 28, 2016, 03:50:22 PM »
I have read several of Donna Leon's books, Maeve, they are excellent.

Some of the plots are better than others, but the thing I like best is the description of everyday life in Venice. It's easy to forget that people actually live there (in fact there have been protests by residents just this week against the number of cruise ships that deposit thousands of people for a few hours every day). Leon lives in Venice (though she is American) and it's fascinating to read about the way people have to shop daily (no cars) and the way that almost everything is done by boat, from rubbish collection to funeral processions. When I visited Venice a few years ago, we arrived on the water bus from the airport - it was quite late at night in November, and what struck me most when we disembarked was the silence. There are no vehicles; all you can hear are the occasional footsteps.

Leon's policeman, Brunetti, is a great character, and his academic wife and two children are also interesting. Brunetti's in-laws are mega-rich Venetian aristocracy, which gives the reader another aspect of life in the city.

There are at least 25 Brunetti books, so plenty to look forward to!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #8331 on: September 28, 2016, 04:04:18 PM »
I have placed two titles on hold.  Always look forward to reading a new author.  Thanks, Maeve and Rosemary!💕🤓
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

maeve

« Reply #8332 on: September 28, 2016, 08:37:13 PM »
Thank you Rosemary for your input.  I'm going to read some more of the series but I have a few other books waiting in the wings right now.  This one was one of the bargain books from Amazon that sounded interesting. 

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #8333 on: September 29, 2016, 04:04:54 PM »
I have enjoyed Donna Leones book for years I love the canals and the ever great detective Brunetti. So much fun.

nlhome

« Reply #8334 on: September 29, 2016, 08:14:05 PM »
I agree about Donna Leon's books. I enjoy reading them.

Tomereader1

« Reply #8335 on: September 30, 2016, 11:57:54 AM »
There was one book that featured the Murano Glass, that still sticks in my mind, but I have trouble remembering other of her plots.  Can't think why that Murano has lingered with me!   
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8336 on: September 30, 2016, 06:11:29 PM »
TOME: that glass fascinates me, too -- I would love to watch them make it. In another life, I want to be a glass blower.

ANNIE: I warn you: don't read Leon when you're hungry. the descriptions of the food and wine he consumes are amazing. Why he doesn't weigh 600 pounds, I don't know. (although he does do a lot of walking.

I've complained here before about  Leon's description of  Brunetti's wife. She's supposed to be a respected academic, but she comes home in the middle of the day to cook a fabulous three course meal, (in one book, she rebelled and said he would have to serve himself, instead of her serving him. Shocking!) and then goes back to teach.

Every professor I've known is almost too busy to eat, much less spend hours cooking. AAAAARGH!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8337 on: October 01, 2016, 04:54:24 PM »
Read a book by Craig Johnson "The Highwayman" (yes,  named after the poem we all loved as teenagers -- I bet PatH can still recite it) about a Wyoming Highway patrol man, Longmire. I haven't seen  the TV series based on this series, but if they show the scenery, I'd like to.

Very dramatic. Think cowboys with a dash of ghosts thrown in. Not my usual reading, but I liked it.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #8338 on: October 01, 2016, 11:19:28 PM »
The Longmire books and tv series are great. You can see all the episodes on Netflix.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Frybabe

« Reply #8339 on: October 02, 2016, 06:12:41 AM »
Oh, gosh. I didn't realize Longmire continued on Netflix. I thought no one picked it up after USA cancelled it. I don't get Netflix. I sure did like that show. Did a Google and see that Season 6 is going to be the last.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8340 on: October 02, 2016, 04:08:49 PM »
I can see I'm way behind. Have to get more.

Read a Donna Andrews, "Lord of the wings". I loved her early ones, but the later ones drag somehow. What do you think?

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/a/donna-andrews/

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #8341 on: October 03, 2016, 11:54:49 AM »
Have started a couple of Sue Henry mysteries set in Alaska.  I've read all of Donna Leon's books.  Another interesting Italian mystery series that I have enjoyed is by Magdalen Nabb.  This series is set in Florence about a regular policeman who is a very interesting and thoughtful character.  This is certainly a different picture of Italy but equally good IMO.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8342 on: October 03, 2016, 04:27:57 PM »
I remember reading Nabb decades ago. Her detective was always complaining about how awful the weather was in Florence (and about pretty much everything else). I guess I was lucky: the one time I was there, I remember it being delightful.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/n/magdalen-nabb/

Checking FF I see she wrote many books after the ones I read. Gotta catch up.

evergreen

« Reply #8343 on: October 10, 2016, 02:35:39 PM »
I've just finished reading A Great Reckoning, Louise Penny's new book.  It's always nice to visit the village of Three Pines and the foul-mouthed duck from time to time.

evergreen

« Reply #8344 on: October 10, 2016, 03:05:42 PM »
I'm reading The Cold Dish: A Longmire Mystery by Craig Johnson.  I've never read one of his books before, but I decided to check him out since he's on thr NYT best seller list from time to time.  I think this is the first book in the series.

I tried watching the TV series once, and didn't particularly care for it.  But the book is something else.  I find myself often smiling if not laughing out loud.  This is a cowboy who has read a few books.  And the conversations between Walt and his friend Henry Standing Horse are priceless.

Don't know if I will still feel this way by the end of the book (I'm only half way through), but I'm glad I tried this one.

Thanks Joan for mentioning the author in one of your posts!

evergreen

« Reply #8345 on: October 12, 2016, 04:28:07 PM »
Oops.  His friend is Henry Standing Bear.  Another senior moment?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8346 on: October 14, 2016, 05:01:43 PM »
EVERGREEN: "It's always nice to visit the village of Three Pines and the foul-mouthed duck from time to time."

t is, isn't it.

glad you're liking Craig Johnson. I stalled in the middle of his latest. Too much posturing and gun drawing over nothing. I'm going back to the early ones.

evergreen

« Reply #8347 on: October 15, 2016, 02:14:47 PM »
I finished the Craig Johnson book, and I liked it because it was different from the books I normally read.  But there was way too much detailed description of guns and the merits of each.  I simply do not like guns.

However, my brother reads Johnson and other books about the West, and we kiddingly decided that these books may be the male version of "cozy" books that women like.

I generally like books that are set in other countries.  I guess I get enough about the US on television.  I'm back to reading history books for now.😳

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8348 on: October 15, 2016, 04:59:59 PM »
EVERGREEN: " these books may be the male version of "cozy" books that women like."

Absolutely! And just as realistic.

f you like history, don't give up on mysteries. here is the historical index from "Stop, you're killing me.

http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/HistoryCats/

it does seem to be restricted geographically. There are good mystery writers from other countries translated into English: Sweden, Japan, Iceland, African countries etc and several Americans who write about Italy or France.

evergreen

« Reply #8349 on: October 15, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »
That website is awesome!  I'm going to bookmark it for future reference.  There is no chance I'll ever give up on mysteries.

I'm starting a new book out this year called Heart of Europe by Peter H. Wilson, which is a history of the Holy Roman Empire.  My knowledge of this time in history is sort of sketchy, so l'll see if I can learn something new. 

I've been reading fiction most of the summer, and usually switch between fiction and non-fiction for variety.  Maybe I'll alternate between the two this winter when I'm snowed in, because Grisham and Jeffrey Archer have new books coming out soon.

Ah, sooooo many good books!

mabel1015j

« Reply #8350 on: October 17, 2016, 01:20:26 AM »
evergreen. You may enjoy the recent book on ancient Rome by Mary Beard. She's a very popular current author of classical history.

https://www.amazon.com/SPQR-History-Ancient-Mary-Beard/dp/1631492225/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1476681443&sr=1-1&keywords=mary+beard+-+spqr-+a+history+of+ancient+rome

Jean

evergreen

« Reply #8351 on: October 17, 2016, 04:28:23 PM »
Thanks, Mabel.  I read Mary Beard's SPQR earlier this summer and enjoyed it very much.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8352 on: October 19, 2016, 08:01:58 PM »
I checked in my library for SPQR. They had an old version, and had ordered the new one. Does that sound right?

EVERGREEN: "Stop, You're Killing Me" is great, but not always up to date, which is why I always cite "Fantastic Fiction". Both URLs are in the heading.

Fantastic Fiction: https://www.fantasticfiction.com/

Frybabe

« Reply #8353 on: October 20, 2016, 06:06:25 AM »
That doesn't sound quite right, JoanK. Mary Beard's SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome 1st Edition was just published in 2015. I don't see a 2nd Edition out yet. Maybe it is a new imprint of the original? The paperback version just came out in September.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #8354 on: October 24, 2016, 01:28:34 PM »
just finished Longmire hated for it to end

evergreen

« Reply #8355 on: October 24, 2016, 04:39:24 PM »
Another convert?...

rosemarykaye

« Reply #8356 on: October 30, 2016, 09:31:49 AM »
I've just finished Ian Rankin's Standing in Another Man's Grave, in which the (sort of) retired Inspector John Rebus is working in a 'cold cases' unit. A girl disappears after being dropped off at a petrol station on the A9 (the main road to the Highlands); a woman contacts Rebus suggesting that this latest disappearance may have a connection to that of her daughter, who has been missing for several years, and to some other unsolved cases. Rebus starts digging around - predictably winding up his superiors - and is eventually seconded to the department dealing with the new case.

The action is set largely in the Highlands, in rural Perthshire, around Inverness and along the north coast. As ever, Rankin writes a real page-turner, a plot with so many sub-plots (turf wars in Edinburgh's underworld being one of them) and so many convincing and well drawn characters that you lose concentration at your peril.

I actually saw a TV programme a while ago about Rankin; it followed him as he was in the process of writing this very novel, driving up and down the A9, walking along the coast in gale force winds and horizontal rain, and back in Edinburgh tracing Rebus's footsteps to his favourite bars (The Oxford Bar, which features in many Rebus novels, is a real place and very much still open). It was a very interesting programme; Rankin is such an unassuming, laid-back guy, no airs and graces or posing at all, yet he is one of the most popular crime writers in the UK.

My husband re-read many of the Rebus books after we had come to live in Edinburgh, and said they were even better if you knew the locations - but I don't think not living here would spoil them for you, they are still great reads.

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8357 on: October 30, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »
I;ve read several of them and enjoyed them. They give quite a different impression of the city from that in McCall Smith's books, which I also enjoy. Two aspects of the truth?

evergreen

« Reply #8358 on: October 30, 2016, 08:03:43 PM »
I really like the Rebus series;  He's sort of a "wrinkled" character.  At least that's how I always picture him.   I think I've read all of them.  Rankin has a new book  (Rebus) coming out in January, 2017.  Looking forward to it.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #8359 on: October 31, 2016, 02:59:26 PM »
Yes Joan, there are many aspects to Edinburgh!

Alexander McCall Smith is very good at nailing New Town characters - the New Town is full of 'old money', many retired academics, doctors, lawyers, etc. The properties are horrendously expensive so these days only the people who've lived there for years can afford to be there - properties that come on the market are often bought up as investments by the mega-rich. Eventually, I think, McCall Smith-type characters will die out, but at the moment there are still plenty around. The congregation of the Cathedral where I work is full of them! And down in Stockbridge, which is nearby and hugely popular with affluent young couples, there are huge numbers of women like Irene, mother of the hapless Bertie - helicopter mothers obsessed with organic everything.

Ian Rankin somehow seems to know all about the city's criminal side - not sure how, as he's not even from Edinburgh originally, and he's certainly never been a criminal.
His descriptions of night club bouncers, run-down housing estates and seedy shopping malls are all extremely accurate - I can't say whether the rest of it's true to life or not!

I am going next week to the launch of quite a different book - Umbrellas of Edinburgh - in which 70 poets and writers have each been inspired by different places in the city, from Tynecastle football stadium to the Cafe Royale, Blackford Castle and Edinburgh airport. The editors have tried to move away from the typical Edinburgh coffee table book;

'As editors, we were keen to reflect the diversity of Edinburgh and its people, and to shift the existing... focus through a more contemporary lens. This anthology includes work from writers of colour, writers who identify as LGBTQIA+, who live with disabilities, writers who have lived in countries other than Scotland, and its contributors predominantly identify as women.

Our brief to the writers was simple: choose a location in Edinburgh and write about it. Between these pages you’ll find explorations of architecture, fragments of memories, views of potential futures, romps in hedgerows, summer picnics, hard winters, love, loss and the moments in between.'

So it'll be interesting to see what they've come up with.

Rosemary