Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 434379 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #1160 on: August 15, 2010, 03:59:33 PM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?

Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it. 

Let's talk books!

Discussion Leader: HaroldArnold

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1161 on: August 15, 2010, 04:01:05 PM »
Babi are you typing your message in the posting box or typing elsewhere and pasting it in?

If you are  using an 800x600 screen resolution, you may be pressing returns to adjust for that size display. Try typing one word over and over and don't press the return key on your keyboard and see what happens.

marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie marcie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1162 on: August 15, 2010, 04:02:07 PM »
I just typed the above using the QUICK REPLY and the following using the REPLY box.

When I posted in either box, the number of words that went to the second line after I clicked POST was different than the number of words that displayed in the Quick Reply and Reply boxes so you shouldn't try to adjust what shows. Just don't use the return key at all except to create new paragraphs.

good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good

Babi

« Reply #1163 on: August 16, 2010, 08:42:17 AM »
 I do type my messages on the notepad as I go along, MARCIE. It makes it easier to keep track of posts I want to answer. On the notepad I do have to press return as it is not automatic there.
  After I make adjustments in the in post itself, tho', it sometimes remains in that order and sometimes goes haywire. I believe you are right that the problem lies in the notepad-to-online routine, but I can't figure out what makes the difference between those that stay 'adjusted' and those that  don't.  I am willing to live with it to keep the convenience of the notepad. I'd never keep track of all the posts I wanted to respond to without it.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1164 on: August 16, 2010, 11:35:10 AM »
Babi, if you don't press the Return/Enter key on your keyboard in Notepad, won't the text wrap anyway?

You're text above looks fine!

Babi

« Reply #1165 on: August 17, 2010, 08:15:06 AM »
 No, in my notepad the text line just goes on and on if I don't press
return, MARCIE.  And yes, the posts don't mess up all the time, just
often enough to be aggracating and perplexing.  C'est la vie.  (No, I don't speak French, but we all pick up some phrases.   :) )
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1166 on: August 17, 2010, 10:37:56 AM »
I'm sorry for the problem with alignment, Babi. :-(

Babi

« Reply #1167 on: August 17, 2010, 04:02:09 PM »
It's a livable trade-off, MARCIE.  Convenience vs. occasional aggravation.   ;D

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1168 on: August 18, 2010, 06:53:17 PM »
CERTAINLY, CERTAINLY, someone is reading nonfiction these days!  I keep hoping to find a good book, a history, a biography at my library but the search is in vain most visits.  So I must take myself on a trip to a B&N soon and search their shelves.

Meanwhile, doesn't anyone have any suggestions?

And don't forget that on Sept lst we are beginning our discussion of ZEITOUN by Dave Eggers.  The title is the name of a man, a Muslim and his family, who survived Hurricane Katrina and I think a quote from Mark Twain that Eggers put in the front of his book is apt:

"To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail." - Mark Twain

JOIN US!

roshanarose

« Reply #1169 on: August 18, 2010, 10:27:49 PM »
Hi Ella - First time I have"spoken" to you.  If you enjoy historical biography borrow anything by Alison Weir.  She is an excellent writer/historian.  Tell me what you think?
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

CubFan

« Reply #1170 on: August 18, 2010, 10:37:06 PM »
Ella - I just received in my latest book order     The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire That Saved America     by Timothy Egan, 2009 copyright.  It looks to be very good.  It's supposed to in the same vein as his The Worst Hard Time about the 1930 dust stoms which I found very interesting. I have a couple other nonfiction to finish before I start this one.    Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

mabel1015j

« Reply #1171 on: August 19, 2010, 01:48:22 PM »
"The Fire that Saved America?"???? Tell us more Mary.............jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1172 on: August 19, 2010, 02:16:06 PM »
Is it the triangle shirtwaist fire?

CubFan

« Reply #1173 on: August 19, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
The Big Burn:

Synopsis  (from dust jacket)
On the afternoon of August 20, 1910, a battering ram of wind moved through the drought-stricken national forests of Washington, Idaho, and Montana, whipping the hundreds of small blazes burning across the forest floor into a roaring inferno that jumped from treetop to ridge as it raged, destroying towns and timber in the blink of an eye. Forest rangers had assembled nearly ten thousand men  —  college boys, day workers, immigrants from mining camps  —  to fight the fire. But no living person had seen anything like those flames, and neither the rangers nor anyone else knew how to subdue them.

Egan narrates the struggles of the overmatched rangers against the implacable fire with unstoppable dramatic force. Equally dramatic is the larger story he tells of outsized president Teddy Roosevelt and his chief forester, Gifford Pinchot. Pioneering the notion of conservation, Roosevelt and Pinchot did nothing less than create the idea of public land as our national treasure, owned by and preserved for every citizen. The robber barons fought Roosevelt and Pinchot’s rangers, but the Big Burn saved the forests even as it destroyed them: the heroism shown by the rangers turned public opinion permanently in their favor and became the creation myth that drove the Forest Service, with consequences still felt in the way our national lands are protected  —  or not —  today.

I also have on my TBR pile Last Call: The Rise & Fall of Prohibition  by Daniel Okrent.  This received good reviews in Bookmarks  July/August 2010

From a synopsis:
Writing with both wit and historical acuity, Okrent reveals how Prohibition marked a confluence of diverse forces: the growing political power of the women’s suffrage movement, which allied itself with the antiliquor campaign; the fear of small-town, native-stock Protestants that they were losing control of their country to the immigrants of the large cities; the anti-German sentiment stoked by World War I; and a variety of other unlikely factors, ranging from the rise of the automobile to the advent of the income tax.

If I could just give up genealogy & needlework I would be able to get more reading done. The three are not conducive to multi tasking.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1174 on: August 19, 2010, 09:27:35 PM »
I have had "Game Change" on reserve for weeks and finally my number came up.  :D

It is very good.

serenesheila

« Reply #1175 on: August 19, 2010, 11:44:48 PM »
ELLA, I am still reading "Freedom's Daughters", by Lynn Olson.  It is about both civil rights women, and women's sufferage. I really like the way this author writes.

I also have "The Big Burn" on my Kindle.  Timothy Egan is another writer whom I enjoy.  "Last Call" is also on my Kindle.

Sheila

Gumtree

« Reply #1176 on: August 20, 2010, 05:05:11 AM »
CubFan The Big Burn synopsis could almost be describing the horrific bushfires we experience here in Australia - in particular the one which raged across the state of  Victoria on 9 February 2009 which is known as 'Black Saturday' - 173 people lost their lives, more than 400 were injured -some seriously - hundreds of homes burnt to the ground, an immense area of land was burnt out and of course livestock and crops lost. 400 individual fires were burning in the area that day of extreme temperatures and scorching high winds. Australia  has also had other major fires through the years such as the  devastating 'Ash Wednesday'  - we learn from each experience but somehow not enough to stop them occurring. It is a quirk of nature that our bushland is rejuvenated by fire - the smoke will cause seedhusks to open and the seed then germinates. - The trick is to cause the germination by controlled burning.

Sorry to be on a hobby horse.

BTW - I'm also into needlework, art and genealogy and agree that at times they do interfere with my reading.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Babi

« Reply #1177 on: August 20, 2010, 08:57:01 AM »
GUM, we have pines here that also need the heat of fire to open their seed pods. I've wondered how that works now that we work so hard to put out fires as quickly as possible.  'Controlled burning' must be the answer.
  My only successful 'needlework' was counted cross-stitch, but that no
longer works for me.  My eyes start 'cross'-ing instead of my stitches!
 ::)

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1178 on: August 20, 2010, 01:20:37 PM »
Hey, I used to do needlework too, BABI, but I have the same problems with my eyes!   Thank goodness we can all still read.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE SUGGESTIONS.  I am going to the Library tomorrow I think. 

My branch of the library has a book by Alison Weir titled MISTRESS OF THE MONARCHY, and the fact that our library bought 33 copies of the book is an indication that it is good and will be enjoyed.

I want to read THE LAST CALL also, by Daniel Okrent.  Yes, I have read that fires are good, in the long run, for forests or wherever.  Strange what nature provides.

I have read THE BIG BURN; it was a good book, and I bought the book GAME CHANGE.  A good book, also!

Keep the recommendations coming when you read a good nonfiction!

mrssherlock

« Reply #1179 on: August 25, 2010, 10:58:01 AM »
Over on the fiction side, where I hang out, there are several of us who read historical novels and the most popular period is the early Tudors,specifically Henry VIII and his wives, his court, etc.  Richard III, the last Plantagenet, preceded Henry.  Thomas P Costain,  historical novelist from Canada, has written a non-fiction four-part series on the Plantagenets which we have been discussing lately.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/thomas-b-costain/conquering-family.htm
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1180 on: August 25, 2010, 03:22:56 PM »
What do you non-fiction readers think of historical novels. They are a good way of learning history, but authors vary a lot in how careful they are to be accurate, and that bothers me.

roshanarose

« Reply #1181 on: August 25, 2010, 10:05:14 PM »
JoanK - Now I DO sound like I am harping.  Alison Weir is now writing novels based on her research as a historical biographer.  I used one of her novels "Innocent Traitor" as a challenge in "Author, Author".  The innocent traitor is Lady Jane Grey, a young woman who was Queen for just nine days.  Not much has been written about Lady Jane.  I think you will enjoy reading the novel and anything else by Alison Weir.  Let me know. 

I think I should write a letter to Alison Weir asking for commission! :D
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1182 on: August 26, 2010, 02:51:33 PM »
If any of you are thinking of joining the discussion of "Zeitoun", an account of one families experiences in Hurricane Katrina, the Zeitoun family is due to be interviewed tomorrow (Friday) on the PBS show Tavis Smiley.

marjifay

« Reply #1183 on: August 26, 2010, 02:53:48 PM »
I am not a fan of historical fiction.  Prefer good nonfiction history.  But, then, I've never read anything by Alison Weir.  Will give one of her books a try.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

mabel1015j

« Reply #1184 on: August 26, 2010, 02:57:25 PM »
I like both non-fiction and historical fiction, but as I mentioned in "fiction" i'm reading Dana Fuller Ross's first in a long (19) series about the way west, Wagons West: Indenpendence. I just finished it and have started the second one Nebraska. I have enjoyed them, but since history is my field, i do get too picky about the historical "facts." They are fiction afterall. But i have felt in reading good hist-fic writers that i have learned some history from them. ...........jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1185 on: August 26, 2010, 03:00:52 PM »
I say I'm not a fan of historicalfiction, but I love detective stories with historic characters as detectives. But they are terrible as far as sorting out fact from fiction. I'm reading one now with Oscar Wilde as the detective, and I cant tell at all what really happened, or which characters (other than the famous ones) are real people. It was written by a man who wrote a biography of Wilde so he knows.

I have read a biography of Wilde some years ago (by Richard Ellman) but don't remember enough detail. That was an interesting biography, somewhat dragged down by the biographer's need to mention everyone that Wilde knew, and Wilde knew EVERYONE! The detective story (by a different author, whose name I don't have with me, has the same fault.

Mippy

« Reply #1186 on: August 27, 2010, 06:53:22 AM »
Allison Weir and Antonia Frazer are both excellent writers, as I enjoy both straight history ... if it is well written, a big IF ... and historical fiction if it does not inject too much romance.   I've also read at least five different authors on the Tudors.  

There is also a long list of historical fiction writers on ancient Rome, with Steven Saylor, John Maddox Roberts and Colleen McCullough among the best.  A warning, however:  McCullough also covers other cultures and countries with mixed success, so do read the Amazon reviews carefully.

quot libros, quam breve tempus

mabel1015j

« Reply #1187 on: August 27, 2010, 02:13:41 PM »
Someone had suggested you all might want to hear what i'm preparing for the women's history course, so i'll throw a little in every once in a while. If you'd rather i didn't just say so, my feelings won't be hurt, my ego isn't that fragile and i know not every one is as enthusiastic as i am about spreading the word about women in history............. :)

Since it's a survey of American women's history and is just 9 hrs long, i'm skimming and not hitting every nook and cranny. I'm sort of focusing on NJ and on Quakers because many of the people in the community are from that background, but also because they are important in the first half of our history. ......I tho't you might like to see the cast of characters i've got in the first half, and maybe test yourselves about what you know of them.
Colonial history: Margaret Brant of Maryland, Deborah Franklin - Ben's wife, Elizabeth Haddon Estaugh for whom Haddonfield, NJ was named, Patricia Lowell Wright - first known woman sculptor in America.

From the revolutionary period: Daughters of Liberty, Mercy Otis Warren, "Molly Pitcher," Deborah Sampson Ganett - dressed as a man fought in the war, Eliza Lucas Pickney - made indigo a cash crop in SC and raised 2 important sons of the time, Abigail Adams, Martha WAshington, Betsey Ross.

All of these women have very interesting stories. If you are looking for some good biography, many of them have been written about these women in the last couple of decades. Of course, some of you have read Cokie Roberts' Founding Mothers or Remember the Ladies, so you probably do know about the second group........................jean

Babi

« Reply #1188 on: August 28, 2010, 09:15:23 AM »
 JEAN, I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know most of those ladies.  Back when we were being
educated, history focused on the men, with a few stores about women thrown in for human interest.  Like Molly Pitcher.  We heard all about Washington, Franklin, and Adams, but very little
about their wives.  In fact, I don't recall anything at all about Ben Franklin's wife.  I have read a biography since about Abigail Adams.  The other names are all new to me.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1189 on: August 28, 2010, 02:08:11 PM »
That sounds very interesting. I know some of those names, but not most. Wish I could take your course.

serenesheila

« Reply #1190 on: August 28, 2010, 06:28:18 PM »
WOW.  Thanks for your comments about the women's history, JEAN.  I do not remember hearing anything about any of the first group.  Not much, either, about the second group.  That is sad!  I do remember reading about Dolly Madison, saving paintings from the White House.  Also, some information about Abagail Adams, Florence Nigfhtingale, the women of Hull House, and Mary Lincoln.

I have just started reading "Freedom's Daughters".  Lynne Olson is the author.  It covers both the struggle for women's rights, and the fight for equality for black women.  I am so very glad that my daughter, and granddaughter have many more opportunities, than we did.

Sheila

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1191 on: August 30, 2010, 09:56:14 AM »
I have two books on my bedside table that I am reading and enjoying.  They are GEORGE WASHINGTON, THE UNEXPECTED.  His Private Llife by Harlow Giles Unger.  And TWILIGHT AT THE WORLD OF TOMORROW: Genius, Madness Murder and the 1939 World's Fair on the Brink of War by James Mauro.

The latter book reminds me a bit too much of the book we discussed a few years ago titled THE DEVIL AND THE WHITE CITY. 

mabel1015j

« Reply #1192 on: August 30, 2010, 01:43:09 PM »
Well, it would have helped if i had spelled Margaret BRENT's name correctly...lol. She is rather obscure if you haven't studied women's history, but very important to know about. We tend to think that women have always had a FAR backseat in public life until the recent decades. Actually women in colonial America had many fewer obstacles to public life than women had as they moved thru the 19th century and into the 20th.

Margaret Brent, her sister Mary and 2 brothers emigrated to Maryland from Grt Brit in 1638. The Brent sisters established their own plantantions, which they ran w/out their brothers' help. In fact, Margaret Brent often acted as her brothers' representative and business adviser. Collecting payment in those days often involved suing in court. Records show "Mistress Brent" participating in 134 separate court actions in 8 yrs and she usually won.

Brent was a close friend of Lord Calvert, MA's gov'nor and he called her to his bedside, giving the "briefest will in the history of law": "I make you my sole executrix. Take all and pay all." As executrix, Brent assumed responsibility for Clavert's estates and became the power of atty for Lord Baltimore, C's brother, then in London.

Brent had established herself a a major political figure and many believed she should be governor. She didn't seek that post, but in 1648, she appeared before the MA Assembly and asked for 2 votes in the assembly: 1 as C's executrix, the other as Lord B's "attorney." It was the 1st time in parliamentary history that a woman had sought political recognition in a governing body and had attached to her the title of "atty." She was denied the votes in the assembly and protested against any proceedings that effected her "jobs" if she did not have a say in the proceedings. As could be expected, the story heard by Lord Baltimore in England, led him to believe she was opposing him, so he turned against her.

See more at  http://www.aboutfamouspeople.com/article1014.html

or at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Brent

Elizabeth Haddon Estaugh is of more local interest, but represents the equality that Quakers bestowed on the girls and women. EHE's father had bought 600 acres in "West" Jersey (now known as "South" Jersey) in what is now Camden Co. He became ill and in 1701 sent his 20 yr old dgt, w/ his power of atty to settle the land. Because Quakers believed that everyone should be able to read the Bible for themselves, they educated boys and girls, so her father felt she was prepared to handle the task before her. Can you imagine a 20 yr old, leaving a comfortable home, getting on a small sailing ship, crossing a "dangerous" ocean, going to a place of which she had very little information but of which there were rumors of "savages" and wild animals, a place w/ few towns, let alone cities, w/ only a servant as a companion?

EHE stayed for a night w/ Quaker acquaintances who were still living in a cave along the Deleware River, having not build a home for themselves. She hired people to clear some of her land and set to establishing a "plantation." (large farms were called p's even in the north at that point.) W/in a year she had a small house, some crops planted, met w/ the Lenni Lenape Indians in the area and proposed to John Estaugh, a Quaker minister that she had met briefly some yrs before in England. She managed the farm, became known for her herbs, medicines and healing - some of which she learned from the LL and eventually gave the property for the Quaker Meeting House in what is now Haddonfield, NJ. She served as clerk to the women's meeting for 50 yrs and died at 82 yrs old, being rather famous for her charity to the poor and the sick.

She had proved to be extraordinary in a number of ways, including her fierce sense of personal independence, in an era when women had few rights, and in her zealous dedication to Quaker beliefs. She retained to the last, control of her affairs.

More at http://www.womenhistoryblog.com/2008/08/elizabeth-haddon-estaugh.html

Patience Lovell Wright is considered the first woman sculptor in America, but she also acted as a "spy" in London, having gone there after the was a fire in her studio in Bordentown, NJ.

See more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patience_Wright

You probably know more about the women at  the founding of the country, i'll get back to them at a later time.................jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1193 on: August 30, 2010, 03:20:01 PM »
Those are wonderful stories. Thank you, Jean.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1194 on: August 30, 2010, 08:29:04 PM »
Jean, I hope you continue to feed in these women's history facts.  Although I'm a longtime Maryland resident, I'd never heard of Margaret Brent.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1195 on: August 30, 2010, 09:19:48 PM »
Some of you may have read "The Man Who Never Was" by Ewen Montagu.  Written in 1953, it tells the story of a magnificent scam perpetrated on the Nazis in WWII, Montagu the main architect.  When the Allies were about to invade Sicily, the British managed to float a body ashore in Spain (neutral, but Axis sympathetic) which seemed to be a naval officer, presumably a passenger in a shot-down aircraft, bearing letters from one general to another suggesting that the invasion would take place in Sardinia and Greece, with Sicily being only a fake target.  This was swallowed whole, with a resulting saving of a huge number of lives because Sicily was so lightly defended.  The book is engaging and charming and has never been out of print since.  It was made into a movie starring Clifton Webb.

Montagu had a lot of trouble getting permission to publish anything about the affair, and his book was heavily censored by authorities.  Now, a lot of material has been declassified, and a lot has been learned about how the Nazis actually reacted to the false information, and classified documents held by Montagu (now dead) have been found.

Ben Macintyre has put all this together into a retelling of the story--"Operation Mincemeat" (the code name for the operation).  It's fascinating.  There are all sorts of twists and turns on the original story, including people who weren't what they seemed, and exactly what did and didn't work to make the scam believed, what happened to all the characters later, etc.

If you read "The Man Who Never Was", you definitely want to read this book.  If you didn't, you still would enjoy it immensely.  It's full of the personalities of the time that we enjoyed so much in "Troublesome Young Men", though not so many politicians, more minor characters.

One warning: the part which deals with getting and using the body is a bit gruesome, more than one would like about it's state, etc.  This can be skipped, but it's hard to filter out all of it.  (The way they got the body was pretty illegal, and Montagu had to keep quiet about it.  Macintyre did some detective work to discover the real story.)

Babi

« Reply #1196 on: August 31, 2010, 08:30:41 AM »
 I especially liked he story about Elizabeth Haddon Estaugh, JEAN.  Is
there a biography of her I could look for?   I'd like to learn more about her.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1197 on: August 31, 2010, 11:56:12 AM »
THANK YOU, JEAN, AND PATH!

So good to share our books and knowledge on this site, isn't it!  I must stop now and then and thank JOANP and GINNY for establishing SeniorLearn; we benefit from it so very much.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1198 on: August 31, 2010, 12:29:19 PM »
Pat - that sounds like a great story. I'd not heard it before, altho i'd heard sev'l different stories about the ruses of a European invasion.

I've just seen two good, new programs on the History Channel. They are going to be repeated today...........Who Really Discovered America? will be on at 4 o'clock EST. Becuase of DNA and new archeological studies we have information that suggests that MANY people were here before Columbus besides the Asians who came some 20,000 yrs ago across the Bering Straits. The program was very interesting to me.

Showing right now - 12:18 EST - and being repeated at 6 o'clock EST is a new program on Thomas Jefferson................."new" history - an oxymoron??............one of the reasons i love history.

Babi - i haven't seen any books about EHE, but if you goggle her you get sev'l sites to read about her..............this one is perhaps the longest. It was written in 1913 for the 200th anniversary of the establishment of Haddonfield. I didn't mention before that she and John's romance are said to be the subject of Longfellow's poem "The Theologician's Tale." You can read it at this site also.................

http://home.comcast.net/~adhopkins/elizabeth-est.htm

Pat - the same is true about Margaret Brent, no book yet that i've seen, altho i wouldn't be surprised if one is in the works, but if you google her you will find some additional info about her.........i love her story. I have to wonder what her biological family was like for she, her sister and her brothers to grow up believing that woman were so capable. She was the first woman to ask for a vote/representation in a governmental body - long before Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the other suffragists..............jean

Enjoy..........thanks for all your kind words...........i'll be back to talk about the other women i mentioned..............jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1199 on: August 31, 2010, 02:52:55 PM »
...........i'll be back to talk about the other women i mentioned..............jean

Great!! We love to hear these stories!