Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 434380 times)

marjifay

Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #1240 on: September 17, 2010, 09:31:31 PM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?

Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it. 

Let's talk books!

Discussion Leader: HaroldArnold

JoanK:  To find the Koran reading group, try this:

Go to Yahoo and type in "Find a yahoo group"

Click on "Yahoo! Groups -- join or create groups"

Type in "quranreadingforum"

(I'm terrible with computers -- but this worked for me)
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

mabel1015j

« Reply #1241 on: September 20, 2010, 04:14:13 PM »
I found a new site for history resources and while reading a link came across this paragraph

"Not since 1820 has feminine apparel been so frankly abbreviated as at present; and never, on this side of the Atlantic, until you go back to the little summer frocks of Pocahontas. This year's styles have gone quite a long step toward genuine nudity. Nor is this merely the sensible half of the population dressing as everyone ought to, in hot weather. Last winter's styles weren't so dissimilar, except that they were covered up by fur coats and you got the full effect only indoors. And improper costumes never have their full force unless worn on the street ."

Wanna guess what period of time he was talking about?.........Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1242 on: September 20, 2010, 05:35:08 PM »
no guesses, jean - but probably well before the 21st Century.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mabel1015j

« Reply #1243 on: September 20, 2010, 07:54:06 PM »
It's from a New Republic article from 1921, could have been written in the1970's or in the 1990's.   history does repeat itself, uh? see it here,
O
http://faculty.pittstate.edu/~knichols/flapperjane.html

It's a fun read.......read or scroll to the bottom for other interesting articles around the same time. Wait till you see what can happen to if you listen to jazz.........you're going straight to hell! ........Jean 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1244 on: September 21, 2010, 03:16:07 PM »
I could have sworn that vwas written today. I'm embarrassed to look at some of the people I see on the street.

roshanarose

« Reply #1245 on: September 21, 2010, 09:39:29 PM »
I just pretend I am not seeing "Muffin top" and "Money Box" jeans on the street.  Oooooh not a good look.  But I do love thongs.  Dialect alert:  thongs in Australia are not the same as they are in US.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1246 on: September 21, 2010, 09:41:34 PM »
OK, roshanarose, what are thongs for you?

roshanarose

« Reply #1247 on: September 21, 2010, 09:49:07 PM »
I was hoping you'd bite, PatH.  Thongs are footwear here.  You may call them flip flops.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

mabel1015j

« Reply #1248 on: September 21, 2010, 10:00:34 PM »
Joan - it certainly could have been written today. We seem to be getting closer and closer to nudity. Some of the clothes are so tight, they might as well not be wearing them. Did anybody see the woman m.c. on Dancing W/ the Stars last night? Holy Smokes!

But i tho't it was cute to see how these issues just keep recurring over and over.......the kids are worse then ever, what will become of them, the hair is "wrong" whatever wrong happened to be at the time, the music!!!! Oh, has every generation of parents tho't their childrens' music was horrific? I had to laugh at the next article that talked about how "sinful" sycopation was. The article said that one dance hall would only allow the waltz and the one-step.......when only a generation or two before that tho't the waltz was sooooo risque..............that's part of the great fun of reading history............jean

kiwilady

« Reply #1249 on: September 24, 2010, 05:09:30 AM »
What gets me is that you see bare midriffs and cleavages all on show in the coldest winter weather! Wonder if these girls are constantly coming down with colds.

Carolyn

Babi

« Reply #1250 on: September 24, 2010, 08:43:26 AM »
 Ah, women...of all ages...are too often the slaves of fashion...or at least the latest fad.  Even
in the days when skirts were down to the ankles, the necklines were cut most revealingly low. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #1251 on: September 24, 2010, 01:05:53 PM »
I understand being fashionable and I have always been. But, I never understood uncomfortable. The only thing I ever wore that was uncomfortable was a girdle in the 50's and  early 60's when I weighed all of 110 lbs.  ??? ;D But, you know we weren't allowed to jinkle the least little bit!

Some of the young woman today look so uncomfortable in these HIGH heels and short, tight skirts. I remember in the 70's being in a mtg where someone made a remark that clogs - a fashion trend at the time - were designed by men who hate women. :)

I did have a pair AND twisted my ankle in them!

The gist of that 70's discussion was that women needed to be wearing shoes they could run in - for safety. Many of the outfits worn by women on tv today wouldn't pass that test! .....jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1252 on: September 24, 2010, 03:31:50 PM »
On bare midriffs -- I'll never forget going to a concert with friends. As people were filing in, a friend said "I've just seen my first sSenior bellybutton". Of couse, we couldn't wait for intermission to see this phenomenon, but it was never seen again (perhaps he was hallucinating."

CallieOK

« Reply #1253 on: September 24, 2010, 06:20:54 PM »
As teens today would say,  "Ewwwww"!  :o

Frybabe

« Reply #1254 on: September 24, 2010, 07:54:42 PM »
Not to forget the fashion among the guys. How about the pants that are look almost like skirts. Then there are the pants that are worn sooooo low that you see half their underpants. How do some of them stay up?

Babi

« Reply #1255 on: September 25, 2010, 09:19:25 AM »
 JEAN, I'll never forget the day I was shopping for a new bra, and explained to the saleslady that I didn't want an underwire bra because they hurt. The woman looked at me and, so help me, said "Bras are supposed to hurt". I stared speechless and hurried away as though escaping a madwoman.
  I don't know if some of those male designers hated women, but I have thought they wanted women to look sexy for men, and didn't care how uncomfortable the women were.

FRYBABE, on 'Who Wants to Be A Millionaire' yesterday, celebrity contestant Jean Smart said "There's a whole generation of young men with bad backs out there from trying to hold up those pants".
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #1256 on: September 25, 2010, 09:56:30 AM »
That's a priceless but believable story, Babi.......I think many young women would say that about many fashions- bikini waxes? Hair in eyes? 5 inch heels? Worrying about whether people can see paradise when they sit in those short, tight skirts? ........one day on the Wendy Williams Show, Wendy introduced Patty Labelle. They both had on 5 in heels and very tight skirts. Wendy walked to the edge of a 6 inch step up to the set to help Patty make the step and they both waddled across the stage laughing about how they couldn't walk....Talk about sore backs.......Jean

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1257 on: September 25, 2010, 10:04:28 AM »
THE NATIONAL BOOKFEST WILL BE ON BOOKTV ALL DAY.  The first guest is Ken Follett which is surprising to me as I always considered him as a fiction writer.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1258 on: September 25, 2010, 10:50:38 AM »
Yes, Laura Bush has me in tears reading a section of her book about Sept 11......Ken Follet has a new novel which he is touting.......Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1259 on: September 25, 2010, 11:07:18 AM »
I just looked up Ken Follett's new book (the first of a trilogy) on amazon - they want $19.99 for the Kindle edition.   :o   I think I can wait a while for that one.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

roshanarose

« Reply #1260 on: September 26, 2010, 12:41:19 AM »
Babi and Mabel : My favourite story about the much ridiculed Paris Hilton (sorry Paris) is that when she was told that she had been accepted to star in the movie "House of Wax", she was delighted and gushed "ooooohhhh do they do Brazilian?"  You had to be there.

Babi

« Reply #1261 on: September 26, 2010, 09:34:41 AM »
I really ignore all the hype about 'celebrities'.  I really can't see why
people are interested.  From what little does get through about
Paris Hilton, I begin to think she is simply being mocked and laughed at.
She brings it on herself, of course, but I feel it's just sad.

roshanarose

« Reply #1262 on: September 27, 2010, 01:51:06 AM »
It was only ever meant to be a joke, Babi.  As for your putdown for people who are interested in the hype etc., I actually  took that as an insult to my intelligence.  You mistakenly judge me.  Be careful  being judgemental of those with whom you don't necessarily agree. 

Babi

« Reply #1263 on: September 27, 2010, 09:08:56 AM »
 Oh, dear, ROSE, I meant no insult to you or your intelligence whatsoever.  My comment about
the celebrity following was puzzlement, not putdown.  Everyone is perfectly free to disagree
with me; that's what makes a discussion.  I'm sorry if I hit a sore spot.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1264 on: September 27, 2010, 12:37:17 PM »
THE OTHER WES MOORE by Wes Moore

http://www.amazon.com/Other-Wes-Moore-Name-Fates/dp/0385528191/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285604403&sr=8-1

What a book, what tragic experiences young people, particularlly young black men, have on the streets of our poor neighborhoods. 

I think this book should be required reading for all 6-7-8th graders, if the children get that far in school.  What can one do to help?  I want to help these children learn to read, appreciate reading.  About 15-20 years ago I was a volunteer reading in an inner city school (now called disadvantaged neighborhoods?) once a week to 2nd graders.  I was both encouraged and discouraged about the experience.  I did that for two years and then tried volunteering for adults who had never learned to read through our local literary council.  That, too, was not a good experience for me.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1265 on: September 27, 2010, 05:41:12 PM »
I volunteered for the Literacy Council for many years, and had a very positive experience. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking to make a difference in someone's life. They teach classes for those who never learned to read, and also classes for immigrants who want to learn English. Anyone who criticizes immigrants for not speaking better English should see how hard my student worked, often missing sleep, to be able to function in an English-speaking environment.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1266 on: September 27, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »

Some Republican Senators, namely Damint and other conservatives have just completely halted a bill to build a Women's History Museum in Washington. There is no cost to the gov't and taxpayers, it's all being done with private funds. Meryl Streep is chairing a group to push for people to sign a petition to the Senate to encourage them to just put it up for a vote. The House of Rep passed it unanimously, the committee passed it to the floor of the Senate unanimously, but each senator has the right to hold up any bill and Damint and some others are doing just that - there is no rhyme or reason...............to see more about the Museum and to sign the petition go to

www.nwhm.org.

if you are so inclinded...............jean
Report to moderator     173.72.94.72

roshanarose

« Reply #1267 on: September 27, 2010, 09:35:50 PM »
Peace, Babi  :)

Babi

« Reply #1268 on: September 28, 2010, 08:35:05 AM »
 Amen, ROSE

I signed that petition, JEAN.  Since it is no cost to taxpayers, I would like to know what
Damint and his cronies object to.  This is likely to come back and bite them.

Frybabe

« Reply #1269 on: September 28, 2010, 09:57:03 AM »
Since it is no cost to taxpayers, I would like to know what
Damint and his cronies object to.  This is likely to come back and bite them.

I doubt it Babi.

I haven't found DaMint's objection to the bill, but the Senator from Oklahoma is concerned that it will cost the taxpayer "down the road". He may be right since the museum website states that they hope to affiliate with the Smithsonian once the museum is up an running. Does that mean they will then be able to dip into Federal dollars?

The other argument I saw was that some congressmen think that the Smithsonian should, themselves, set aside a site for women's history. The opposition says the Smithsonian is in need of big buck repairs, etc. and would not be able to afford to do that for some time to come.

Either way, at some time in the future it looks like the taxpayer will pay for some of this enterprise. I doubt that that will happen for a long time. By then the government may be better able to afford it.

Babi

« Reply #1270 on: September 29, 2010, 08:27:04 AM »
 I guess it would depend, FRYBABE, on how many women get really, really mad at them.  It's
impossible to say what public costs might arisie in the future, but I would think that a good
museum of women's history would get good  financial support from donors.  In the meanwhile,
it would offer some jobs getting it up and running, which is all to the good.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1271 on: September 29, 2010, 01:05:37 PM »
I actually don't care if it costs the taxpayers some money, I just stated that because that's the biggest concern for conservative senators. Women have always tried to do things at as little cost as possible, we need to get over that in some instances. WE DESeRVE a museum! We make up more than half of the country and history from our perspective has been hugely neglected. So much of what people, especially children, visit in D.C. is from the white male perspective, about wars, for instance.

History is a lot more than war and politics, altho women have been there too. But, if we read the standard textbooks, we wouldn't know that and we - and children - need to know that we've been there at every step in U S history........Jean 

Babi

« Reply #1272 on: September 30, 2010, 08:13:07 AM »
True, JEAN.  Just about everything has been viewed and recorded from the male perspective,
throughout human history.  Women are being heard from more and more over our own lifetimes; and isn't that a great thing for us?  A museum of women's history would be a great
step forward and I don't doubt we will have it one of these days.  Not today, apparently.

marjifay

« Reply #1273 on: September 30, 2010, 11:07:20 AM »
Amazing (to me anyway)  World War I officially ends on this coming Sunday when Germany pays the last payment of $59.5 million imposed on it after the war.  I had no idea they were still paying this.  From the UK Telegraph, 9/28:

<http://www.telegrap h.co.uk/news/ worldnews/ europe/germany/ 8029948/First- World-War- officially- ends.html>

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1274 on: September 30, 2010, 03:30:14 PM »
Marj, That was an interesting bit of news.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1275 on: September 30, 2010, 07:52:28 PM »
Well, thank goodness we've stopped the hostilities. :)

Babi

« Reply #1276 on: October 01, 2010, 08:35:44 AM »
We're starting a series of 3-day discussions on Talking Heads.  Anyone can suggest a topic from
whatever is going on that catches their interest.  An article for reference is helpful; probably the
one that caught your eye.
  Our opening discussion is on COMMERCIALS: GRINS OR GROANS.  ELLA suggested that one. You can find it quickly via this link: http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1729.0

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1277 on: October 04, 2010, 09:23:30 PM »
MARJ: thank goodness that's over. You did sat WW ONE, not TWO. I have heard the onorous penalties imposed after WWI blamed for the rise of Hitler. They ceippled the German economy to the point where Germans were eager to accept anyone who could get them out ofthe mess. (too  simplistic, of couese),

Babi

« Reply #1278 on: October 05, 2010, 08:57:31 AM »
 We're discussing 'Pain' in Talking Heads right now.  I'm sure everyone has experience with that.
If you come across any topic in the news that you'd like to discuss, do stop by and suggest it.
Right now we've got the next three lined up, but a bare larder after that.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1279 on: October 05, 2010, 10:14:43 AM »
I have read two remarkable nonfiction books lately and, perhaps, someone might be interested.

The first is THE IMMORTAL LIFE OF HENRIETTA LACKS by Rebecca Skloot.  It's a fascinating journey through the "colored" ward of Johns Hopkins Hospital in the 1950's to stark white laboratories with freezers full of HELA cells, immortal cells that Henrietta provided for research into vaccines and other research.  Her cells are still being used internationally today.  One paragraph"

""You better take me to the doctor.  I'm bleedin and it ain't my time"  Henrietta told her husband.  Hopkins was one of the top hospitals for the sick and the poor and it covered more than a dozen acres where a cemetery and insane asylum once sat in East Baltimore.  The public wards at Hopkins were filled with patients, most of them black and unable to pay their medical bills.  David drove Henrietta nearly twenty miles to get there, not because they preferred it, but because it was the only major hospital for miles that treated black patients  This was the era of Jim Crow-when black people showed up at white-only hospitals the staff was likely to send them away, even if it meant they might die in the parking lot."  

------------------------------

THE OTHER WES MOORE by Wes Moore:  Great book.

From Booklist
*Starred Review* In 2000, Wes Moore had recently been named a Rhodes Scholar in his final year of college at Johns Hopkins University when he read a newspaper article about another Wes Moore who was on his way to prison. It turned out that the two of them had much in common, both young black men raised in inner-city neighborhoods by single mothers. Stunned by the similarities in their names and backgrounds and the differences in their ultimate fates, the author eventually contacted the other Wes Moore and began a long relationship. Moore visited his namesake in prison; he was serving a life sentence, convicted for his role in an armed robbery that resulted in the killing of an off-duty policeman. Growing up, both men were subject to the pitfalls of urban youth: racism, rebellion, violence, drug use, and dealing. The author examines eight years in the lives of both Wes Moores to explore the factors and choices that led one to a Rhodes scholarship, military service, and a White House fellowship, and the other to drug dealing, prison, and eventual conversion to the Muslim faith, with both sharing a gritty sense of realism about their pasts. Moore ends this haunting look at two lives with a call to action and a detailed resource guide. --Vanessa Bush