Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 434376 times)

maryz

• Z's World
Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #1280 on: October 05, 2010, 11:14:43 AM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?

Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it. 

Let's talk books!

Discussion Leader: HaroldArnold

Ella, I loved Henrietta Lacks - a surprisingly interesting read, with a fascinating story to tell.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1281 on: October 05, 2010, 02:44:41 PM »
They both sound fascinating.

Johns Hopkins was "known" in local culture in the fifties and sixties as a place where Black women, coming in to give birth, had their tubes tied without their knowledge, and that "experimented" on Blacks. We didn't know the details, or even if it was true, but felt it was. I'd like to find out more about it.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1282 on: October 05, 2010, 03:41:14 PM »
The OtherWesMoore is on my TBR list........jean

Babi

« Reply #1283 on: October 06, 2010, 09:09:33 AM »
 I see my library has the Rebecca Skloot book. I'll have a look at it. Sounds good.  No luck on
the Wes Moore story.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1284 on: October 06, 2010, 10:22:40 AM »
-paraphrasing from the book THE IMMORTAL LIFE OF HENRIETTA LACKS

Johns Hopkins was born on a tobacco plantation in Maryland where his father later freed his slaves nearly 60 years before Emancipation.  Hopkins made millions working as a banker, grocer, selling his own whiskey, but he never married and had no children. So in 1873 he donated $7 million to start a medical school and charity hospital and an additional 2 million worth of property and $20,000 in cash each year specifically for helping black children.    He chose 12 men to serve as its board of directors and specified that the only patients to be charged were those who could easily afford it, but the purpose of the hospital was to help those who otherwise couldn't get medical care.

He died shortly thereafter but the board created one of the top medical schools in the country and the hospital's public wards provided millions of dollars in free care to the poor, many of them black.

These patients had to enter a segregated door and were placed in segregated wards for treatment. and the book tells many instances of experiments on black patients.

------------------------

However, the hospital became famous when I was a young mother in the 50's - a young ob/gyn doctor had graduated from Johns Hopkins and that was considered the very best.  He was my doctor for years - many years until he retired when his wife died and the light went out of his life.  I went to him for even little things like the flu, he was partially a friend.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1285 on: October 06, 2010, 09:45:13 PM »
If you get a chance to see "Who Really Discovered America" on the History Channel, it's very interesting. It was especially interesting to me who for 22 yrs taught American history. For the first 6 yrs as a high school teacher, I  taught the traditional story that Columbus "discovered" America, that Leif Erickson  had gotten to at least Nova Scotia before 1492. For the next 16 yrs, as a college teacher, I taught that Asians came across the Bering Straits about 20,000 yrs ago and made their way down the western coast to the tip of Peru and across to the Atlantic coast. This program hypothesizes sev'l other possibilities: the Chinese, Japanese, Polynesians, Norse,Welsh, Irish, Hebrews. ...... Jean

Babi

« Reply #1286 on: October 07, 2010, 08:17:37 AM »
 JEAN, whenever I learn of something like that, I have to believe we always underestimate our
early ancestors.  Because they didn't have our 'modern' inventions, they must not have been
able to do much.  Actually, some of them must have been just as curious, just as daring, just as innovative as their self-satisfied descendents. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #1287 on: October 07, 2010, 05:15:36 PM »
When I taught or when I give presentations related to history, I often say "As far as I know......." or "the general belief at this time is......." because there is so much historical research going on and expanding new technology gives us new info everyday.

And yes Babi, much of that new info reveals that we have underestimated our ancestors, sometimes GROSSLY underestimated them. Good point!..........jean

Babi

« Reply #1288 on: October 08, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »
 Have any of you smart people with wide-ranging interests seen any subjects/articles lately
that you think would make a good discussion.  We're devoting three days per topic currently on
Talking Heads and are currently talking about modern medical miracles.  We're going to need
some new topics in a very short time, so do come by and take a look.  If you have a topic,
please e-mail me about it. (Just click on my name on the Post. You'll find the address there.
Do, please, identify yourself in the subject line so I don't delete you.  :-X)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1289 on: October 08, 2010, 03:12:12 PM »
JEAN "When I taught or when I give presentations related to history, I often say "As far as I know......." or "the general belief at this time is......."

I wish all history teachers were as wise as you.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1290 on: October 08, 2010, 05:16:12 PM »
Thanks Joan, but it just seemed like common sense to me.....Jean

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1291 on: October 08, 2010, 05:21:29 PM »
Who has common sense these days?

Babi

« Reply #1292 on: October 09, 2010, 09:23:26 AM »
 Oh, come now, JOAN.  Obviously, WE do.  ;D  ::)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1293 on: October 09, 2010, 10:28:44 AM »
That's Pat this time.  Don't mix us up just because we look alike. ;)

mabel1015j

« Reply #1294 on: October 09, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »
On BookTV, they are showing George Mason U awarding Greg Mortensen, author of "Three Cups of Tea" the Fall of the Book prize. It is a wonderful program, if you get to see it - you can watch on line at BookTV - keep the tissue box close by.......Jean 

Babi

« Reply #1295 on: October 10, 2010, 09:31:44 AM »
 I've seen BookTV mentioned so many times.  What channel carries it, JEAN?  I don't think I've ever come across it, but it sounds like something I would like.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1296 on: October 10, 2010, 11:22:40 AM »
Babi, BookTV is the weekend programming on C-Span2.  Also, C-Span History (C-Span3?) sometimes does some book-type programs on the weekends.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #1297 on: October 11, 2010, 09:32:53 AM »
 I don't think our 'package' includes C-Span2, MARY.  I'll check with my daughter; she'll know.
(It's so handy having a smart daughter right here with me.   ;D )

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1298 on: October 11, 2010, 11:31:40 AM »
Babi, if you don't have it, you can go to http://www.booktv.org/ and watch programs on line (and not have to do it on their TV schedule  ;) )

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1299 on: October 11, 2010, 02:02:55 PM »
Thanks, Mary for that tip.

Babi

« Reply #1300 on: October 12, 2010, 09:10:51 AM »
  Valerie found the station quickly, and it is available to us.  BookTv apparently runs all day on
Saturday.  Perfect, since Saturday offers very little I enjoy in TV.  I'll do some exploring there
this weekend.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1301 on: October 12, 2010, 09:17:38 AM »
Babi, BookTV goes from early Saturday morning until about 8 a.m. Monday - you can get the program schedule on their web site.

Babi

« Reply #1302 on: October 13, 2010, 08:10:58 AM »
 Oh, my.  I definitely need to check that schedule.  I don't want to spend an entire weekend
with BookTV.   I do have books to read, after all. ::)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1303 on: October 13, 2010, 03:40:40 PM »
Goodnes, we don't want to be so busy listening to discussions of books that we don't have time to read them. That's like reading cookbooks and skipping lunch (which I've done).

Babi

« Reply #1304 on: October 14, 2010, 08:45:41 AM »
reading cookbooks and skipping lunch (which I've done).
  Not me, JOANK.  Reading cookbooks tended to make me hungry, so I'd likely go find a snack.
 I don't read them anymore.  Nowadays, "nice and easy does it every time".  I find that song
more and more applicable as time goes by.  ;)

marjifay

« Reply #1305 on: October 14, 2010, 08:48:01 PM »
Babi, you dont't need to watch BookTV all weekend long  The schedule is posted every week (and you can have them email it to you).  The nice thing about having it all weekend long, is that many shows are repeated so you can pick a convenient time to watch.  And some of them are recorded and marked "WATCH" so you can watch it anytime if you miss it.

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #1306 on: October 15, 2010, 08:44:41 AM »
 That is my intention, MARJ.  I'm going to scan for book/topics that look interesting and watch
those.

We still have two weeks left to fill on '3-Day Wonders'.  Those are three day discussions of
topics that are in the news or catching people's interest.  We defiitely need some new topics, so
if something catches your eye, do come over and mention it, or e-mail me. (Click on my name
for the address.)  We start a new one tomorrow..."Unjust Laws"...from the viewpoint of what
conscience would allow where they are concerned.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1307 on: October 21, 2010, 10:43:59 PM »
I just got the Mark Twain Autobiography on my Kindle.  Haven't started it yet - and John will probably get it read before I do. 

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1308 on: October 22, 2010, 03:08:27 AM »
Mary, I have just seen the quote at the end of your message (The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time") - brilliant!  Yesterday I stayed in bed till 9.30am to finish reading my novel - I don't think I've done that since I was a student! - felt so guilty afterwards, until my friend texted me to say she'd stayed in bed till 11.30am.  We have resolved to do a Hearty Walk together, when it stops raining, to make up for all our sloth.

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1309 on: October 22, 2010, 10:24:47 AM »
Good for you, Rosemary!  Guilt is a totally wasted effort (IMO) - never worth a minute of anybody's time.  And we all need to take time to do things just because WE want to.  ::)

mabel1015j

« Reply #1310 on: October 22, 2010, 12:11:27 PM »
DITTO, DITTO to Mary's reply................jean

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1311 on: October 22, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »
Thanks both.  I wonder why we do have this tendency to feel guilty about any self-indulgence?  Is it something to do with having had children?  My husband and children never seem to feel the least bit guilty in doing exactly what they like, and it's not just them; I have a great friend who is married to a farmer in Ireland - they don't have children, and I noticed when I last visited that although she does all the usual stuff - and works full-time - she is also quite happy to sit down and read her book during the day when at home, or to take herself off on a walk (they live in glorious countryside in County Waterford),  whereas I was brought up by a mother who still, in her eighties, wouldn't dream of reading a novel until she's in bed (although doing the Telegraph crossword is OK).

I will try to take your advice and enjoy.

R

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1312 on: October 22, 2010, 06:30:54 PM »
Rosemary, wouldn't it be terrible to die and know that you'd mopped a floor rather than read a book.  Horrors!

Frybabe

« Reply #1313 on: October 22, 2010, 08:46:50 PM »
I wonder why we do have this tendency to feel guilty about any self-indulgence?

Rosemary, while I can't speak for everyone, in my case it was ingrained early that I should think of others first. Mom was big on sharing and being fair. I may have gone overboard with that, though. It took George, when I was in my mid-thirties, to teach me that I should include myself in the ratio. With my very limited funds while in college, his stock question when we went shopping was "Who are you buying that for?" I was constantly picking stuff up for gifts to others, never spending on myself. He also forced me, in his own way, to make decisions for myself. He would refuse to give an opinion or present an option if he thought I was simply going to do what he wanted, rather than consider what I wanted. Smart guy.

Babi

« Reply #1314 on: October 23, 2010, 08:14:55 AM »
  My congratulations to you, and a round of applause to George. I have tended to put myself
last, but I at least didn't leave myself out entirely. I sometimes buy the pizza I like.  ::)

Frybabe

« Reply #1315 on: October 23, 2010, 04:02:23 PM »
Now I AM getting hungry!! Since I got laid-off, the weekly pizza run has been cut way back to about once a month.

serenesheila

« Reply #1316 on: October 23, 2010, 06:37:08 PM »
I, too, put myself at the bottom of the "to do" list.  My time for me was always supposed to happen, after I did all of the things I must do for others.  Somehow, I always was exhausted, or sick, by the time I got close to my name on my list.  I finally went for some therapy, and learned to take time for me.  What a Godsend!

I only answer the door, and the phone when it is convenient to do so.  I take the time in the mornings to check in with myself to decide what fits for me, for that day.  I am enjoying this time of my life, more than any other.  To my surprise, when I was in therapy, I discovered that I knew far more about what my family, and my friends liked, than I did about what I enjoyed.  That is sad.

The only real treat I have given myself during my lifetime has been reading.  Thank God, I did have one outlet.  Oh, and movies.  I was an only child, and my parents taught me to put other people first.  No one ever told me that I counted, too.  No one ever asked me what I wanted.  So, I finally learned to ask myself.

Sheila

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1317 on: October 24, 2010, 03:02:56 AM »
Sheila, that is really interesting.  I remember reading a book once that said things like "What is your favourite colour? - not your husband's/children's/mother's/boyfriend's, but yours?" - and although I could just about manage the colour question, when it came to anything more complex I was stuck.  I have been in a dilemma for some time now, in that my husband works in Edinburgh (his choice), our house is on the market (but not selling), my friends all tell me not to move, my husband has reached the point (after months of my worrying and indecision) where he says I should do what I want to do - and I don't know what I want to do!  Of course I do have my children, more specifically my 12 year old daughter, to consider, so I really can't just say "I want to do this or that", but it's hard to unpick my interests from everyone else's.  I don't want to feel that I never took a chance (I think if it was somewhere grotty and not Edinburgh, things would be a lot clearer) but I don't want to regret taking it either.  I think it's the fact that I am responsible for this decision - whereas most of the previous changes in my life have been brought about by inescapable circumstances.  So it's scary but also exhilarating in a way - though at the moment totally academic as no buyer in sight.  Any advice on how to make decisions much appreciated!

And good on you not always answering the phone - since I got number display I too am very picky, and am always screaming at the children "Don't pick it up if it's X"!

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1318 on: October 24, 2010, 08:31:42 AM »
Rosemary, I just picked up on your name.  Do you live on Skye?  We loved it there.   And were lucky, we had gorgeous weather when we were in the Highlands 2-3 years ago.

Babi

« Reply #1319 on: October 24, 2010, 09:13:58 AM »
 I never wanted a portable phone, even before I reached the point I couldn't use one anyway.
I'm sure it would have been different if they had been available back when I was raising three
kids and running all over the place.  By the time they were plentiful and popular, I really didn't
want to be 'available' at all times to anyone who called.  'Hey, leave a message, I'll get back to
you eventually.'  (Unless, of course, you're selling something.)  ;)