Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049877 times)

mabel1015j

Re: The Library
« Reply #16080 on: October 13, 2015, 11:08:42 AM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Maryz - maybe you won't fall apart. This article was in my Next Avenue newsletter, about the "other side of grief." I think it probably speaks to many who lose loved ones and find they are coping, one minute at a time, but coping, and are wondering if they should be.

http://www.nextavenue.org/a-different-script-for-grief/?hide_newsletter=true&utm_source=Next+Avenue+Email+Newsletter&utm_campaign=15d08a23f8-10.13.2015_NextAvenue_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_056a405b5a-15d08a23f8-165096121&mc_cid=15d08a23f8&mc_eid=2190c898e8

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16081 on: October 13, 2015, 03:45:47 PM »
jean, thanks for the article.  It echoes what my rheumatologist told me when I saw him about a week after John died.  He said that each of us grieves in his/her own way and (like the writer said) there is no "one size fits all".  He said that whatever I did was "right", but that if I ever did feel myself sinking into depression to get in touch with him.  They were just the right words for me.  We live in the "buckle of the Bible Belt" where funeral customs are pretty standard, but we've never much gone by the rules, and I didn't have any kind of service.  I assumed there was some talk, but I didn't much care - and still don't.  We'll do it our way - as we always have.

Another meeting with the attorney this afternoon; selling his car on Thursday; meeting again with the financial planner next week.  And so it goes.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #16082 on: October 14, 2015, 09:19:31 AM »
Am waiting for..hm.. Brighthouse with a new remote,router, etc. They are not functioning properly and the tech on the phone allowed as to how they had changed somethings this summer and I did not have the new stuff. sigh.. so between 10 and 12 ( any money onj 11:55)they are supposed to come.. on the other hand, my gate access in my gated community has gone nuts. I put in my password, etc and boom. no access.. not correct. I called the office and they insist that is the right signal, so I must go down at some point today to the clubhouse and get that straightened out.. Sigh. Need to stop at the verizon store and see how I can increase my sound on my phone, so I have at least a shot at understanding people.. All in all, not a favorite day, but I am going tonight to see a show called " In defense of the caveman" one man and supposed to be funny. I can certainly use funny.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Frybabe

« Reply #16083 on: October 14, 2015, 10:34:19 AM »
Yeah, Steph. I had to go buy a new modem because Comcast notified me that my modem was EOL and would no longer be supported.

mabel1015j

« Reply #16084 on: October 15, 2015, 01:25:25 AM »
Our church book group is reading Ordinary Grace this month, has anybody read it? What did you think?

Jean

Steph

« Reply #16085 on: October 15, 2015, 09:04:06 AM »
Defense of the caveman is probably funny to teens.. older than that.. not really.. Got a new remote.. works perfectly now. did not need a new router according to the Bright House tech, but he says my house call also said.. hole in yard might be Bright house and I allowed as to how I had just gotten home and had not begun to walk the yard.. but he looked and said.. no hole.
The gatehouse insisted that all was well, but is just flat out did not work,so they did a reset. We will see.. Verizon man very helpful, but he did not show me, he just grabbed the phone, punched some buttons and said it had been set on low and he had moved it up.. All well and goode, but did not show me how to do it. grrrrr. Our Travel club has some interesting things planned, but the one I want is really quick, so I am going to see if I can be a late booker.. Its an Elephant refuge and I do so want to go..

Tomereader1

« Reply #16086 on: October 15, 2015, 11:51:43 AM »
I read "Ordinary Grace" when it first came out, mainly because of the author. He is one of my favorites.  I loved the book so very much, and kept harping at my face to face book club that we needed to read it as a group.  When enough copies finally became available, we read it.  Since it was my choice, I had to moderate.  The book went over well with all present.  I had emailed the author, and got a lovely response.  I think I posted all that somewhere on here, or Fiction/Best Sellers.  Perhaps over in S&F also.  I think your group will enjoy it.  Kreuger is primarily known for his mystery series with Cork O'Conner.  Read and enjoy, Jean.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mabel1015j

« Reply #16087 on: October 15, 2015, 03:34:28 PM »
Thank you Tomereader.

Steph - we have decided here in NJ that the gremlins are upset with us. We've had a half dozen different heating-plumbing issues in the last few weeks. This morning when i came into the kitchen the window curtain had fallen down. A friend had a new bathroom installed at the end of the summer, yesterday the shower door fell out and shattered into a million pieces. It sounds like you may have a gremlin in Fla.!  :) :)

Steph

« Reply #16088 on: October 16, 2015, 08:39:13 AM »
some form of gremlin for sure.. but I did get a ticket for the elephant refuge on November 4th. I can hardly wait. However on facebook yesterday, some lunatic ( german this time) murdered a huge older elephant and was so proud as are the hunting sites. After all, he got huge tusks.. May his teeth rot and fall out, maybe that will help a little. Killing an elephant,, so brave, maybe a larger rabbit would make you happies.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #16089 on: October 19, 2015, 08:18:11 PM »
Hello, MaryPage...what happen to you?  There was some stupid controversy about something a while ago...did that put you off?  If so, that's OK .That's why I don't get involved I guess.... BUT just hope you're OK... FYI....I agree with your views on most things....!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16090 on: October 19, 2015, 09:17:29 PM »
MaryPage is having some health issues.  She hasn't been posting in her usual places for a few days.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Frybabe

« Reply #16091 on: October 20, 2015, 06:12:49 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Mary. I hope she will be feeling better soon.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #16092 on: October 20, 2015, 08:30:34 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  It seems quite a while.

Steph

« Reply #16093 on: October 20, 2015, 08:52:41 AM »
ok MaryPage,, up and attem. You are one of the most alive persons I have ever known and that is of course online..

marjifay

« Reply #16094 on: October 20, 2015, 09:19:08 AM »
Jean asked if anyone had read Krueger's Ordinary Grace.

I read it some time ago but was a bit disappointed -- Good writing , but I got tired of the religious aspects, sermons of the boy's father, etc., and the story got to be rather boring. One little thing that annoyed me was who can remember 40 years later, as the narrator did, the exact TV program they were watching on any particular day that long ago?

Of course, I am an atheist, so I suppose your church group might like it.  I've enjoyed other books by Krueger.

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16095 on: October 20, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »
I think MaryPage has been quite active until recently in other parts of the website, and I am sorry to hear that she is having medical problems. Anybody can see where somebody has posted by clicking on their name in the Members list and then looking at show all posts or something like that.

I hope she will feel better soon.

mabel1015j

« Reply #16096 on: October 20, 2015, 11:18:56 AM »
Marj - i am an agnostic, i only go to the book discussions at my husband's church because I like the people and the intellectual stimulation - it's a very liberal, socially conscious church. Based on your review, I may skip this book, I can't get it from the library and obviously don't want to buy it.

Thanks for commenting on it.

Jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #16097 on: October 20, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »
Based on only that one review, I don't think I would skip "Ordinary Grace".
I found it excellent.  If I could find where I had done a review of it for Sr. Learn or S&F, or the email and response I sent to Mr. Kreuger, I would post that.  (Can't find it...still searching).  It was a book that I moderated for my f2f bookgroup and it was very well received, and participated in. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mabel1015j

« Reply #16098 on: October 20, 2015, 07:36:13 PM »
O.k., Tomereader, good point.

Steph

« Reply #16099 on: October 21, 2015, 08:48:09 AM »
I have a TBR of Kent Krueger.. but dont remember which book. will hunt if I ever get a spare moment.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16100 on: October 21, 2015, 09:15:28 AM »
Spare moment?  What's that? :)

Steph

« Reply #16101 on: October 22, 2015, 08:31:12 AM »
Something I seem to have lost in the past few months. sigh.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #16102 on: October 24, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »
I really  miss  MP I look for the  red writing. She should have been a author.

Steph

« Reply #16103 on: October 25, 2015, 09:12:48 AM »
MaryPage has mostly been posting in Womens Issues.. She is having some sort of surgery on Monday for Sciatica.. and hopes that it will relieve her pain..I miss her posts.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16104 on: October 25, 2015, 11:25:19 AM »
I am reading a good book called The Vacationers by  Emma Straub. It's about a family vacation on Mallorca.  It's the kind of book you can't tell the plot of lest you give it away.

Lots of good reviews about "good hardheartedness," and cleverness,  etc.  It's what appears to be an ordinary  family with two grown children, a family trip for graduation for  the 18 year old girl, and her older brother who lives in Miami  and doesn't come home much,  and his girlfriend attend too, along with an old family friend and his husband, a gay couple.

From the very first page it's clear in hints that something has affected the marriage, just little throw away things that you say "huh?" and you have to read it again,  and  like everybody's life, there is more to it than on the surface.  It's quite interestingly written, from the viewpoint of all the characters, which is different,  and I'm really enjoying it, so far.

I've always wondered about extended  families that take huge vacations together, and here one is.

Have any of you read it?

mabel1015j

« Reply #16105 on: October 25, 2015, 12:02:53 PM »
From this mornings Smithsonian newsletter, an interesting article about the conflict between Google and Author's Guild. At this point Google has won in the courts, which makes sense to me, they aren't publishing whole books, just "snippets" from the books.

http://tinyurl.com/qzgz4k3

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #16106 on: October 25, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »
Yes, and a couple of times from those snippets I have actually purchased the book - so Google is doing the publishers a favor - where else could a book receive so much free publicity.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #16107 on: October 25, 2015, 02:36:12 PM »
But doesn't Amazon do the same thing with the "Look Inside" feature? or is it different because it isn't Google that is actually selling the booki?  But Google does have have links to Amaxon, B&N and maybe others, if I remember correctly.

Steph

« Reply #16108 on: October 26, 2015, 08:44:42 AM »
guess I never asked Google something that required a book.. Hmm.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #16109 on: October 26, 2015, 11:33:38 AM »
Ginny, The Vacationers by Emma Straub was on my  TBR list for a long time, then some review had me take it off.  I don't remember why.  Will take another look.

Jean, interesting about the google.books.  I've come across searches in those books.  After seeing your links this morning I decided to take another look, searching two family members and a family friend who had unique names and their 15 minutes of fame during World War II.  I found info on all three, but don't know if one could see a whole book from one search. In each of the books I looked at were blank pages and  notices that "page xxx is not part of this preview."

Personally, I'm grateful to google for taking this on and hope they keep winning their case.  JUst imagine, if all the libraries in the world were open to everyone.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16110 on: October 27, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »
Pedln, me, too.  And I can't remember the awful review I read of it but I thought that's not for me. i don't remember why I returned to it, somebody said it was the best book of the summer, a lot of great reviews, so I picked it up again.

I'm half way through at this point and nothing untoward is happening.  The people are not...people I can identify with, actually, but nothing bad is happening.  I absolutely HATE to read a book I like and then have the author do some kind of trick on the reader (that's the way I look at it) and ruin it.

So far so good. It's not the greatest book I ever read but it's different and somewhat amusing. So far. And it's about an inter-generational family vacation, which is OK too.

So far.

Steph

« Reply #16111 on: October 27, 2015, 01:24:49 PM »
intergenerational. have one son with children and one not,, I shudder at the idea , my non child son is not into children in his face.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16112 on: October 28, 2015, 09:19:19 AM »
 Well things took a turn for the worst, yesterday, in The Vacationers and got perhaps a LOT more racy and explicit than I had expected or desired, which is fine but I'm now treating it like a ticking  bomb. :)

marjifay

« Reply #16113 on: October 28, 2015, 10:01:41 PM »
Is there a GOP debate tonight?  If so, when and where?

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Frybabe

« Reply #16114 on: October 29, 2015, 05:47:58 AM »
Marj, just saw your question. I hope you found it. It was on CNBC. I discovered I don't have access to on the tier level I have, so I downloaded the iHeart app on my Roku and listened to in on my local CBS talk radio channel.

Steph

« Reply #16115 on: October 29, 2015, 08:40:55 AM »
Oh Ginny, that is funny.. I hate it when a book throws me that sort of curve.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16116 on: October 29, 2015, 09:48:15 AM »
Steph, :)

I wonder why they put that stuff IN. It probably wouldn't bother anybody else. Just increases the difference in me and the book, she's trying to think like she thinks a man would, as she's in his mind. Could have skipped that bit.

So those of you who did watch the debate, who won? In your opinion?

marjifay

« Reply #16117 on: October 29, 2015, 03:59:47 PM »
Thanks, Frybabe.  I never did find the debate which is okay acturally as I can't really stand to look at or listen to any of those people.  They turn my stomach.

Marj

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #16118 on: October 29, 2015, 05:12:39 PM »
Part of the email I received today from the Face to Face group planning next years schedule - we email in our suggestions and they are calculated based on popularity and the leader's willingness to discuss - but these are suggestions from the leaders.

This year’s Nobel Prize went to Belarusian Svetlana Alexevich and a title of hers that caught my eye was “Zinky Boys”.

Meantime the Booker went to West Indian, Marlon James, whose “A Brief History of of Seven Killings” has received widespread praise.

Kolkata born author Amitav Ghosh's book Sea of Poppies — a scathing critique of British colonialism, lost out this year's Man Booker International Prize to Hungarian writer Laszlo Krasznahorkai, whose works are described as “postmodern”, “dystopian” and “melancholic” - right up our street I thought! It made me think of his fellow Hungarian writer, Peter Nadas, of whom I have been hearing great things for some years now.

In the US Anthony Doerr’s “All the Light We Cannot See”, which just missed out in our polls last year, continues to sell well and receive high praise.

Jonathan Franzen’s “Purity” was better received than some of his recent works and how can we possibly ignore Harper Lee’s “Go Set a Watchman”?

Two other American authors we haven’t managed to get to yet are Thomas Pynchon and, perhaps surprisingly, Philip Roth.

England’s, Kate Atkinson has been turning out very good books for years now and her most recent offering, “A God in Ruins” has received broad critical acclaim.

Across the Channel, Frenchman Michel Houellebecq continues to provoke, shock and occasionally annoy. His latest, “Submission” has taken him almost to the mainstream. Many consider him to be one of the very few people to be taking the novel forward this millennium.

Amanda Filipacchi, who is also French although she lives in America, offered her third novel, the intriguingly titled “The Unfortunate Importance of Beauty”. I keep hearing that I should read it.

We have done well with South American writers and I am sorry that we haver never got around to reading any of the works of the great Chilean writer, Roberto Bolano. His “2666” continues to fascinate readers around the world.

The Spanish Argentinian, Andres Neuman, was a huge fan of Bolano’s and his “Traveler of the Century” is considered by some to be the finest novel to emerge from Latin America this century.

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #16119 on: October 29, 2015, 06:43:45 PM »
An interesting list, Barb.  It brought to mind the Impac Dublin Literary Award, for books published in English, which can be translations. The 2015 list is below -- nominated by libraries around the world.

http://www.impacdublinaward.ie/nominees/

The 2016 longlist will be announced Nov. 9th.

Re: Debate -- Who were the moderators?  All I heard earlier today were complaints about CNBC, gotcha questions, etc.