Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049930 times)

marjifay

Re: The Library
« Reply #16000 on: September 27, 2015, 02:19:45 PM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Oh, that's a possibility that makes some sense, Steph.  They broke the book store window to steal a valuable rare book.  But I would think a store would keep such a book or books locked up.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #16001 on: September 27, 2015, 02:26:04 PM »
I suppose everyone is by now aware that there will be a rare lunar sighting tonight -- both a supermoon (blood moon) and a lunar eclipse.  The eclipse can be viewed about 7 pm on the West Coast, with other areas later according to the different time zones.  They say the eclipse will last about an hour.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16002 on: September 27, 2015, 04:02:22 PM »
Last chance at a total eclipse for several years.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16003 on: September 27, 2015, 04:10:37 PM »
Since we have an embassy to the Holy See,

http://vatican.usembassy.gov/mobile/about-us.html

And they have an embassy equivalent here

https://vatican.visahq.com/embassy/united-states/

I had assumed the visit counted as by a head of state.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16004 on: September 27, 2015, 09:23:26 PM »
SHIP AHOY!

The Lusitania is sailing again on Thursday! Come and board early, even if you haven't gotten your book yet. Meet the irascible captain who couldn't save her (should he have?), the men and women who took their life problems (and priceless manuscripts) aboard, the happiest submarine captain and crew (was he too ruthless? too kind?), the love struck President, and the British naval officer who lured the submarine to its position, and didn't tell the Lusitania (was it on purpose?)

And share your experiences with ships (sunken and floating), submarines, naval warfare, and the decade before the roaring twenties.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=4811.0

mabel1015j

« Reply #16005 on: September 28, 2015, 12:23:33 AM »
Yes, Ginny,  I think No Ordinary Time would make for a great discussion.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #16006 on: September 28, 2015, 08:42:17 AM »
I am not sure about the Kindle Unlimited. I have been checking and you get free only on what they list for you. So it may not work out well, we will see. I do spend about 10.00 a month on Kindle when I  check my notes, but I suspect the freebies are unknown or lesser known authors or older stuff. We will see.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Frybabe

« Reply #16007 on: September 28, 2015, 09:15:20 AM »
Steph, I don't think they put any of their current best sellers on Unlimited, but they do have a number of new releases and "top rated" books. Unlimited gives you access to more books than I do with just Prime. Not all authors/publishers participate in the Lending Library. There are several authors I like that do not. Nevertheless, I have no trouble finding books, old and new, to read.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #16008 on: September 28, 2015, 09:21:40 AM »
I, too, get the impression that all those "subscription" book rental things operate about the same way.  If they cover your genre and authors, then they're a good deal for you.  I checked a couple...oyster and another whose name I've forgotten, and found they didn't offer what I wanted, so I've stayed with  getting on digital borrow from the two libraries digital collections I have access to, the more popular authors I like, or buying it if it's a reasonable price.  I've found a number of new authors I've enjoyed on the "free or .99 route" on BookBub, Book Gorilla or Robin Reads.  No, they're not all good...far from it...but the price when "free" is right.  I have gone on to buy others by an enjoyed author that I found on the "free or .99" path. There are many new-to-me authors I wouldn't have found any other way.  The number of people publishing now...whether the route of the Big 5 (or whatever that number is now with buyouts and mergers) or self-publishing.

I have both Nook and Amazon accounts, but I've gotten to the point I prefer to buy from Amazon. The Kindle app is, for me,  far superior to the Nook  though I read both on my IPAD and my Nooks sit abandoned in a drawer here somewhere.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #16009 on: September 28, 2015, 09:32:59 AM »
I found more than enough to read on my Prime alone and can borrow many more - I have gotten to the point if a book is less expensive on the Kindle than buying it used, knowing a used book requires shipping added then I add the book to the kindle - but I am one of those who find a book in my hand is so much more satisfying.

I have access to several sites where I can download a book free after paying a subscription - but I have abandoned them all - the process of choosing is made so easy and best of all having access to the book to see if it is all I thought makes such a difference and I am using exclusively the kindle. Sometimes I read directly from my computer which except for being in a utilitarian chair the read is enjoyable on the large screen.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mabel1015j

« Reply #16010 on: September 28, 2015, 01:07:11 PM »
Ditto to everything Jane said.

However, I am becoming concerned about buying from Amazon as I continue to hear horror stories about their treatment of employees and the working requirements. I've heard not only media reports, but from an actual worker friend of our dgt. I'm really betwixted and between about what to do. Obviously Amazon is the easiest way to buy books and I've found everything I've looked for, even obscure books. But I'm beginning to feel guilty about it.

Jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #16011 on: September 28, 2015, 01:15:44 PM »
Jean, not about Amazon or books, but last night on my PBS station they showed "Secrets of Westminster" which I totally enjoyed.  It had a segment, near the end, about Ms. Astor, who served in the House of Commons, even though she was an American.  Absolutely piqued my interest in her, and can you recommend any books about her/her life?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16012 on: September 28, 2015, 01:29:07 PM »
Yes, I agree - had no idea the Astors were even a part of the British scene much less her influence - remarkable.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mabel1015j

« Reply #16013 on: September 28, 2015, 02:59:07 PM »
Tomereader, many years ago I read Nancy: the Life of Lady Astor. I believe I enjoyed it, or I probably would not have remembered it. The author was Christopher Sykes, according to my record book.

Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16014 on: September 28, 2015, 04:56:01 PM »
STEPH: kindle unlimited has saved me a ton of money, but that's because they have some good mystery stories. The well known authors are not on there: you have to be willing to try new authors (which I do all the time anyway for the  mystery discussion). Their non-fiction selection is pathetic, but if you really search (you can use the kindle "browse" function to browse Kindle unlimited books by subject), you can find some goodies.

If you're only spending $10 a month on books, I would forget it. I was spending over $100 a month (AND using the library). the curse of being a fast reader with lots of free time.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16015 on: September 28, 2015, 04:59:54 PM »
Don't tell me Amazon is horrible to their employees!! I refuse to shop at Walmart because of that, but I really depend on Amazon!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16016 on: September 28, 2015, 05:15:29 PM »
Some are reporting it but with a bunch of old friends in Lexington they have been buffaloed by the chatter - sure they say it is hard work but then any warehouse type job is hard work - ask anyone who works for Fed Ex unloading those planes in the morning or even the delivery in office buildings where you are running up stairs every day - when my son was a young man and delivering for Fed Ex he literally broke a bunch of bones in his feet from running up stairs at UT that was his territory with the packages for various departments. My take is there are some drumming up some negative press because Jeff whatever his name is - is too successful in their opinion. 

OK off subject YOU JUST MUST LINK ON THIS WEB PAGE - toward the end of the book by Darby Nelson, For Love of Lakes he includes the words to a song, Lake of Mercy, that I never remember having heard - well I found the song - oh oh oh - this is so beautiful - reminds me of the kind of song we heard back in the late 50s and early 60s when folk music was all the rage - the song is lovely, the words are haunting and the female voice does it justice -

here is the beauty - http://www.brethesla.com/downloads/lake-of-mercy/

Steph

« Reply #16017 on: September 29, 2015, 07:43:03 AM »
I diid not like book clubs all those years ago, but I am trying the Kindle..Since I adore mysteries and have found some new to me authors on the freebie types. Estelle Ryan is a good example. never heard of her, tried a free one and was hooked .. She is excellent and should be better known. I put on some older Abigail Padgett, who does not write fast, but I do like her and they were free on Kindle Unlimited, which is what led me to the site. We will see.

LarryHanna

« Reply #16018 on: September 29, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »
JoanK, I have over 1500 books, mostly in the mystery category, that I have gotten free from the BookGorilla.com.  I have found some very good writers.  I also get daily offerings from BookBub.com and they have some low price or free books as well.  There I find that often the book is offered free on both Amazon and on the Barnes and Noble site. 

Mabel, no one forces the employees to stay with Amazon if it is intolerable.  I am sure it is hard work but many folks work very hard on their jobs.  I think Barb is probably right about the press going after any one that is successful and certainly Jeff Bezos fits that bill. 
LarryBIG BOX

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16019 on: September 29, 2015, 11:36:33 AM »
I heard a big interview when the Amazon stuff first came out, it was on the radio either CNN or NPR, but they interviewed the CEO of a huge company in Canada who had done business with Amazon at the corporate level and he said that

(1) Retail is something very few people understand, how it works, the pressures

(2) He knew first hand a lot of the Amazon managers, and workers, all very capable people, considerate people, and he said with work conditions that were described in those terms Amazon could not have kept them, or any other persons of their type

(3) He seriously doubted the claims and

(4) what Larry just said: nobody is forcing anybody to work for a certain company. 

(5) He said retail was not for everybody and there are other fulfilling jobs in different fields.  He was very convincing and had no reason to support Amazon, as he was no longer connected in any way with them,  in the wake of the allegations.

I do think, and I want to tread carefully here, due to so many people knowing those who work for Amazon and having one of their mega warehouses in our county which of course has caused lots of reports, but I do think that today our young people who feel they must start out life with the McMansion, the pool, and all the other entitlements to which their parents have encouraged them to expect, find the real world of work something not to their taste. 

Think about it a moment. I think it's ok to have ambition but when you and I and most everybody else  of our generation started out, we did not expect the golf club memberships and the McMansions and pools and Ferraris to be perks of our first job...you know exactly what I am talking about and you know I am right. 

Prices have risen. I paid more for my last car than we did our first house which had no furniture in  the living room for about a year till we could afford it.  What a novel idea. We want our children to be better off.  We are good parents. We want them not to endure the 5th floor un-airconditioned flat in NYC with no elevator, a view of a wall,  and a pull down bed which makes a bedroom, remember those?  Murphy beds, were they called? "Studio" apartments.

We want them to do better, but we're actually living a very comfortable life, if lucky, as it is.   Where will it stop? What is too much? We  want them set up for life from the get go and that is what they expect.  Royalty in the work force does not work.

mabel1015j

« Reply #16020 on: September 29, 2015, 01:05:58 PM »
I made my Amazon comment based on superficial media stories snd anecdotal info. Well, you all sent me on a hunt for more facts. There are differing stories apparently coming from people who have different expectations about working conditions. Some employees love the 10/11 hr day in the warehouse environment. I would not enjoy it, but some obviously don't mind based on the salaries and benefits.  The NYT story was about the agressive, competitive push at the white collar level........"most everyone has cried at their desks". Again, that would not be a job I would have stayed in, but some think that it is working for Bezos and Amazon. But then I was an adult who was job searching from 1963 thru 1980s, a good time to be looking for a new job.

Ginny, I don't know the young people you're talking about.  :) My dil seems to be typical of the young people I know. She is patching together 3 jobs a week in the health care area. Even though health care is exploding with the boomers aging and docs sending people for every test known to mankind, it seems few of those agencies are hiring fulltime employees and therefore providing few benefits.

Our son is a teacher, but needs the income he receives by adding three coaching jobs. He loves coaching and would probably do those jobs anyway, but they are necessary to their budget which includes a mortgage, two cars and before and after-school care fees.  Their house is a modest ordinary type, two cars are necessary to get to their jobs.

Two salaries are necessary for most of the young people I know and most of them are living the modest middle class life that my husband and I lived in the 70s and 80s. Gas is no longer the 1.25 we paid. They are paying much more for health insurance then we paid. Day care is waaay more expensive than 30/40 yrs ago. People with master's degrees have professional jobs, but there companies are often merging with others,  or constantly shifting contracts or priorities so it seems there is always someone of our acquaintence who is concerned about whether they are going to be the one terminated, through no fault of their own.

I say all of that to say saying "go get another job if you are not happy" is not as easy as it was when I was in the job market. I know several people who are working to survive, not necessarily at a job they like, but one that provides benefits, especially health insurance, and some measure of security. Yes, I know that many of the 30,40 yr olds are supposed to feel "entitled" and be major consumers of "unnecessary goods, some of them do exhibit those behaviors, but I think it is much tougher for some of them then is was for us pre-boomer and boomer generation when not only was the population was booming, but also the economy and wages and benefits.

So! For the time being I will continue to buy the few books i buy through Amazon, partly out of selfishness for the convenience of their service and availability of their inventory. No, I don't shop at Walmart either, but at this point I don't think I put Amazon in as dire a category as Walmart. 

Jean

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16021 on: September 29, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »
Good post, Jean, and reasoning. I think a LOT depends on what type of job you take and where you live. Some jobs have higher incomes than others. Some places offer more perks for your buck than others.  There are a lot of young people struggling to make ends meet, but one has to ask, in what profession and why.

In some parts of the country a buck goes a lot farther, than, say, in NYC, in the same profession.

The CEO also said, and I had forgotten this, that if you are applying for a 12 hour a day job then you should not be surprised if that's what they expect you to do.  Not everybody wants to do that. Nobody wants to be crying at a desk, but again he seriously doubted the claims.

bellamarie

« Reply #16022 on: September 29, 2015, 04:56:49 PM »
My hubby and I went out of town to Frankenmuth, Michigan this past weekend, our hotel had a balcony terrace.  We were able to sit out and view the Lunar eclipse from beginning to end!  I took video and pictures.  I told him this is not going to happen again for 18 yrs so we are pretty lucky to get the chance to see this.  My pictures were not a good as I hoped for, but I did get the red moon.  I was attempting to take the pictures with my ipad Air, iphone and Sony camera.  I saw so many posts where people around the world posted on Facebook.  That was pretty amazing to see!

Jean I purchase books from ibook with my ipad Air, and also Barnes and Noble.  Every now and then I buy hardcover books from Amazon.  I was not aware of the problems the employees were having there. 

I agree it takes two incomes to raise a family today, owning a modest house and two cars along with daycare costs, but from all the young couples I see, and know which are many, they live way beyond their means.  They eat out numerous times a week and I don't mean fast food, drink alcohol regularly, and go on many vacations a year, along with paying Pre school - college education for their children.  They shop at name brand stores, purchase outrageous priced athletic shoes, and pay heavily for their kids to participate in sports. When it comes to proms and homecomings the girls MUST have a new dress for the many occasions they attend.  I see pics on Facebook where these young high school Freshmen go in groups and their parents hire professional photographers for pictures at different locations, not to mention pay for limos for the groups, and give their sons and daughters money to eat at the best restaurants in town.  I know these parents can not possibly be affording these things, but they charge their credit cards to the max, and skip on paying their bills to continue this lifestyle, and their kids do not understand the value of a dollar, because the parents give them a false sense of security, by not saying no to them.  Sixteen year olds are handed a brand new car as soon as they get their driving licenses, and the parents pay for the gas and insurance along with their cell phones.  I know a family who skipped on paying her house payment until foreclosure notices came, to keep up with this type of lifestyle.  I know I am not exaggerating and this is common with this generation of parents.  I taught in a parochial school for 15 yrs, and am still involved with the happenings since I now have grandchildren going through grade school, high school and college.  Few teens work, unlike my granddaughter.  She had to withdraw from her Sorority in her Junior year due to not being able to afford the costs, and attend ALL their functions due to work.  She tried explaining she has to work for her money, they were not the least bit interested in anyone who could not keep up with their various activities and annual dues.  Families are so busy working and keeping up with the numerous activities they barely have time for family time at all.  We teachers could see the stress on these young kids, from overtaxed schedules throughout their week. This is an entitled generation, few have a savings account, and even though there are job losses, they somehow manage to keep going.  I'm guessing the baby boomer grandparents are chipping away at their hard earned savings to chip in.  I watch Susie Orman and Dave Ramsey and they will indeed verify, what I am saying is the lifestyle of this new generation.  They have little to no credit, and if they have credit it needs much improvement.  They walk away from their school loans and mortgages and go on spending carelessly.  We have created this type of society, and the payment will come due one day.

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

mabel1015j

« Reply #16023 on: September 29, 2015, 08:31:32 PM »
Good gracious, Bellamarie, I see some of that but most of the 40 yr olds I know are enjoying life, but not extravagantly. That is a little scary.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #16024 on: September 30, 2015, 09:08:47 AM »
Actually I vividly remember when my brother who was 8 years younger married, he and his new bride expected al sorts of things that my husband and I and the two small boys could not afford. So some of this is temperment.. I have two sons, one with two children, one in college and the other who has no children. Both are married. The older one is an engineer and very very prudent with his money.. The younger in law enforcement. Both are doing things they want to do and have sacrificed to live the life they do. Both wives work..  I stayed home until my sons were in high school, since my husband traveled and was gone all week, and we felt that someone should be there on a steady basis.. I think there have always been sacrifices made.. I do however note that I have two younger friends who work and barely can pay for their child care on what they earn. figure in what the clothes to work cosst and the number of to go meals and I suspect they are paying to work.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #16025 on: September 30, 2015, 02:29:02 PM »
Ĺové my kindle,  I have had it for  years.
1 after I get in bed #1 usa today  #2 books
3 GAMES PLAY #4 read my book which now
is the lusitian can't spell
Candi  coming down  tomorrow and Friday
we will go to  Laconner for the weekend a quilting seminar.
can't wait I have the worst black eye I have  ever seen, it's so huge
and so big it goes half my  nose.candi says she is going
put  a note on This is not elder abuse.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #16026 on: September 30, 2015, 02:49:21 PM »
Gunny  I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU BOUGHT A NEW CAR. I THOUGHT YOU WERE  GOING TO
DRIVE THAT TANK FOREVER.

bellamarie

« Reply #16027 on: September 30, 2015, 03:33:17 PM »
Jean,  It is indeed scary.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Steph

« Reply #16028 on: October 01, 2015, 08:39:43 AM »
Ginny has a new car?? Hmm, time for a new trip. How did you get the black eye, Judy.... As I remember from the beach, your daughter was great fun..
Packing up to leave in 10 days.. Will be glad to get home. This back and forthing is sometimesa pain.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16029 on: October 01, 2015, 12:54:37 PM »
I agree with Bellamarie.

What new car, Steph? 

What black eye? How did you get a black eye, Judy?

My car is 7  years old, what new car, Judy?

I feel like I've stepped in Wonderland.  :) 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16030 on: October 01, 2015, 01:41:39 PM »
well thank God I really thought my brain had slid - I read and re-read and re-read again and just shook my head - Ok I am still sane... relief...

Steph

« Reply #16031 on: October 02, 2015, 08:45:32 AM »

ginny, I thought the Gunny meant you... since u and i are next to each other.
Rain rain rain.. ugh.. and early leaf fall here and squirrels who have gone nuts about acorns and are making these wild dashes on our roads.. Ugh.. The combination of wet leaves on black top going uphill ( my driveway) makes my car do the shimmy dance and scares me to death.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16032 on: October 02, 2015, 09:13:31 AM »
Gummy might work, the way my teeth are going. hahahaha

No new car. Not a big car. Former car was not large. hahaha

No tank. Nice car, but not big or new.

I hope you all can escape this hurricane barreling down on the US. Fine time to be on a cruise, isn't it?

We've got our own cruise which just left yesterday  in Dead Wake, and a more excited boatload of passengers it would be hard to find.  Go on over to  Dead Wake and enjoy reading the very interesting discussion, that one you can do vicariously without getting seasick, tho they are talking about the cruises they have been on.

Ahoy!  (Have always wondered the origin of that word. I think I'll look it up.)

bellamarie

« Reply #16033 on: October 02, 2015, 09:46:58 AM »
On a very sad day, thinking of those Christian students who were killed for admitting they believed in Christ, I needed something to make me feel better and leave it to Ginny to do it.  I just read your prior post and laughed out loud at this....

"I feel like I've stepped in Wonderland.  :) "

Thank you, I needed a bit of humor.   :)

Steph

« Reply #16034 on: October 03, 2015, 08:36:34 AM »
whew... rain rain ,,,,wind,,,flooded roads, You name it, Western Carolina has it as well as most of South Carolina, who has more.

Tomereader1

« Reply #16035 on: October 03, 2015, 12:12:30 PM »
Steph, wish you could send just a wee bit of the rain here to Texas.  We are dry, dry, dry.  Back yard has cracks big enough to fall into, LOL.  We can't do much watering because of the limitations they've put on our water usage.  Plus, if you add watering to the cost of the water bill which includes sewer and sanitation charges (most of the bill) it gets expensive, what with electricity being utilized so much in the 90+ temps.  That's Texas for ya!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #16036 on: October 04, 2015, 09:23:11 AM »
YES at home in Florida, the water usage is the smallest part of the bill.. garbage collections, sanitary sewers,etc etc, on and on. The add ons are horrendous.. Almost as silly as Bright House cable and Verizon.. I sometimes get impatient with the sneaky add ons that they hate to mention. Just recently when traveling, I got one price for the hotel room, when I paid at the end,, there was a resort fee ( no,it was not on the water), was told they had a facility that we could use, mind you this was at the end of my stay not when i could have used it. I told them I would pay and put them on my never again list.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #16037 on: October 05, 2015, 04:22:49 PM »
Ginny I read somewhere you were buying a new car and I thought you ere going to drive that
tank forever. I buy a new one every couple of years, love cars.

Frybabe

« Reply #16038 on: October 05, 2015, 06:13:11 PM »
WOW!  I just checked the new listings on my Roku. They just added a thing called Public Domain Books where you can read or listen to audio books. Some are free, but most have a fee. Also just added, Great Courses Plus so you can subscribe to streaming the courses. I haven't looked into the pricing for either one yet.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16039 on: October 05, 2015, 07:25:05 PM »
Judy you are such a hoot. I do not know why you refer to my little car as a tank. If it had a camera for backing up, I might drive it to the end of my days, I love it.  I don't think it's the same car you are thinking of, however. :)

YOU, Madam, are the one with the gigantic SUV tank!