Author Topic: Little Bee by Chris Cleave ~ January Bookclub Online  (Read 69949 times)

ALF43

Re: Little Bee by Chris Cleave ~ January Bookclub Online
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 09:05:37 AM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

January Book Club Online

"Little Bee"
by Chris Cleave

Little Bee, or The Other Hand, as it was called when it was published in Great Britain in 2008, has captured the attention of millions of readers and elicited a wide range of reactions from shock and outrage to praise for the portrayal of the two main characters, whose personal lives become inextricably intertwined.

In view of the publishers' request not to reveal too much of the plot too soon, we have foregone the customary questions in favor of presenting background information that may be useful. As always, we invite your comments and insights in the course of the discussion.

Facts:
*Nigeria gained independence from British rule on October 1, 1960.  Around that time oil was discovered in the Niger delta, raising the hope that a post-colonial backwater country could rise to international prominence, radically improve its economy to better the health and education of its citizens.

*Today Nigeria is the eighth largest exporter of crude oil with billions of dollars in oil revenues annually. The Nigerian government and the oil companies have benefited, but the Nigerian people are still among the poorest in the world.  Only 40% of the total population have access to electricity. Life expectancy is less than 46 years; infant mortality in the first year after birth alarmingly high.  There is environmental damage in the mining area and ongoing unrest in the country. Oil, blessing or curse?

*The "Black Hill Immigratio Removal Center" in the book is fictitious, like the characters. However, holding places, safe havens  for foreign nationals, have existed in Britain since the Immigration Act of 1971 introduced "detention centres', as they were called,  to impose restrictions on their movements. The government immigration policy was tightened in 2002 in the wake of concern over increasing  numbers of asylum seekers. Today there are ten immigration removal centers in England and Wales, all run for profit by private companies at taxpayers' expense.

Reading Schedule

January 2,   Chapters One to Three, pages 1-85
January 9,   Chapters Four and Five, pages 86-149
January 16,  Chapters Six to Nine, pages 150-231
January 23, Chapter Ten, pages 232-266
January 30-31,  Conclusions

Discussion Leaders:  Traude and Andy
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

JudeS

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2010, 04:26:39 PM »
I just finished the book and will join you for the discussion.
I'm sure  it will be an interesting one.

Aberlaine

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 05:34:04 PM »
I just got a notice that the book is being sent to me from Bookins.  I even get free shipping this time, so the book is free!  I'll start reading it as soon as it arrives.

Nancy

ALF43

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2010, 10:23:02 AM »
NANCY- free??????????   Wow, I want to do business with them. 
JUDE- Traude and I will be pleased to have you on board.  We'll see you in January to kick off the New Year just right.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Babi

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2010, 08:27:45 AM »
 I'm interested in joining the discussion if I can get my hands on a copy
of the book.  I thought my library had it, but they have only the audio
version.  I put "Little Bee" into the county system catalog and drew a
blank, which really surprised me.  Still looking...
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ursamajor

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2010, 03:56:10 PM »
The library called the copy I had back.  I am sorry because it helps to have it in hand when we discuss the book.  I found it pretty harrowing.

nolvikarn

• Lars-Olof (Olle) Andersson
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2010, 05:55:03 AM »
Hello America!

It is good to be with you again and I hope I can give you some impressions from an old man up North (Cold and Snowy Sweden).
You should know that I am really looking forward to get the privilege of talking about books (and life!) with such witty and nice people.
The fact that this book seems interesting and important to all of us, who are living in the west, is of course the main thing.
So now I have a new reason to look at the coming year with anticipation.

A nice Christmas to everyone
from

Lars-Olof Andersson
Sweden
Literary interested old man.
Prefer American, Canadian and English writers.
From Faulkner to Auster and Austen to Atwood.
Courious and ready to start with Joyce Carol Oates.
A future Nobel Prize Winner?

ALF43

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2010, 02:58:17 PM »
Lars-Olaf, in cold and snowy Sweden-  Welcome to SeniorLearn and our discussion of Little Bee.
I can not begin to tell you how much we love to have new eyes and opinions on our boards.  
We are an eclectic group of readers with diverse opinions and we welcome each and every persuasion.  Our differences are what make sharing a book so absorbing.

You should know that I am really looking forward to get the privilege of talking about books (and life!) with such witty and nice people.
Hahaha- I will try to keep that "nice" adjective in mind as we delve into Little Bee's terrain.
Have you read the book yet?

Babi- I have read the book AND listened to it on audio.  Take the audio addition, it is wonderfully read.  If you would like I could remind you where to stop in the discussion.  Personally, I preferred the audio.  Please reconsider and join us. :D

ursa-Even though you had to return your book, would you please stop in and give us your comments?  We would love to hear from you & I agree that there are many parts that are harrowing.  Unfortunately this alarming and chilling story is happening, as we speak. I will send you a note when we begin.

salan

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2010, 06:10:08 PM »
Oh, woe is me, the book is out &  I am on the reserve list at the library and am hoping that I get it before the discussion starts.  Keep you fingers crossed for me.
Sally

Babi

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2010, 08:02:29 AM »
Uh, ALF, sorry, I'm deaf, I really can't use the audio. :-\   I'm going to see if my elder
daughter can get it at her branch library, tho'.  They do have it,  but there are about six holds
on it.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ALF43

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2010, 09:44:43 AM »
 Well drats Babi.  I'm sorry, I knew that, how careless of me.  Sorry!  I just got so carried away thinking that there was someone else who could listen to the  different "inflections" used by the speaker on the audio version. she does a fine job.  I would send you mine but I need it for the discussion.  I'll see what I can do. ::)

Babi

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2010, 08:31:36 AM »
  I know how an audio can be made or ruined by the speaker, ALF.  I remember years ago
listending to a poet I really liked read his own poetry.  He was awful!  He definitely should have
let someone else do it. 

Aberlaine

« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2010, 07:31:34 AM »
Since January is right around the corner, is there a reading schedule around I can look at?  I'd like to have the pages read before the discussion of those pages.

Thanks,
Nancy

ALF43

« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2010, 03:09:51 PM »
Nancy- I'm not at home now so I don't have my notes, but I think that we are reading the first 85 pages.

Babi

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2010, 09:17:27 AM »
 Okay, that will give me a starting place.  The first 85 pages at least this
week.  My book, I'm delighted to say, arrived Christmas Eve day. It's
like an extra Christmas present, thanks to a dear friend!

ALF43

« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2010, 12:16:08 PM »
Great Babi- We look forward to you joining in.  Christmas eve??  Wow!  Santa brought me a NOOK.  Aren't we fortunate to be so loved?

Steph

« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2010, 08:33:48 PM »
OK.. Home now.. have Little Bee in my hand and went to here to find out the first assignment.. So. the first 85 pages it is.. Up up and away.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

serenesheila

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2010, 03:23:41 AM »
I need some more information about how far to read.  My copy of "Little Bee", is on my Kindle, and it doesn't show page numbers.  Could someone please tell me a few lines from where the first reading ends?  Thanks.

Sheila

ALF43

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2010, 09:10:36 AM »
Hang on Sheila- my book is upstairs. If Traude or someone else comes to the rescue before me they will let you know.  If not- give me a bit and I will check it out for you.
I have been reading on my new Nook, playing and fiddling around with it and just thought about that very thing last night.  It give chapters and I think that pg 85 takes us thru chapter 5.  (I THINK.)

Steph- It will be good to have you aboard. I am anxious to get out of this 8 degree weather and return to sunny Florida.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2010, 05:18:11 PM »
I bought my copy ages ago, and then forgot to look for the pre-discussion. I'll be joining you. Off to tart reading.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2010, 05:52:26 PM »
JoanK - has all this Christmas food gone to your head?  ;D

Rosemary

bookad

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2010, 12:16:02 AM »
hi there

Deb here, presently in Rockport, Texas.

its interesting who keeps popping  up in the various book groups-its great that no matter where I am seniorlearn.org & the book groups will be here (if that doesn't make any sense to some, its because my husband & I travel from November to May mainly to and around Texas, and home is in Ontario, Canada, the rest of the year)

this book sounds very interesting
...would really like to obtain a copy of this book, unfortunately not able to access a library now we are on the move, so will look for some second hand book stores in Corpus Christi when we go there this week, ...the book store here Rockport does not have a copy....I've left it so late don't think an amazon copy would get to me in time
...but following the group's comments on this book am eager to read it

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wildflower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

Babi

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2010, 08:37:01 AM »
  Sounds ideal, BOOKAD.  Summers in Ontario, winters in the Southern U.S.  You should have
no trouble finding the book you want in Corpus Christi.  If you've been there before, you know it
is a good sized city with just about all you could need.  Probably too cold for the beaches, but
the scenery should still be good.

ALF43

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »
Bookad Deb- Welcome to our site and our pre-discussion of Little Bee.  We are pleased to have you join us.  I'm sure, as Babi said, you should have no problem finding the book.  See you Jan. 3rd.

Joan- you silly christmas goose, pull up a chair now that you have found us.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2010, 10:59:45 AM »
Hi Bookad, one of our contributors, jane, is in transit now from her home in Iowa to South Padre Island for January & February.  She checks in when they stop for the night, so will be seeing your post.  I'm sure she can recommend a place to get books.  She's just gotten a Nook, so she can carry (and replenish) her supply of books with her more easily.  ;)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Aberlaine

« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2010, 02:29:08 PM »
I'm reading Half-Broke Horses for my f2f book group which is meeting on January 17th, so I'll start Little Bee now so I can keep up with both.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2010, 04:45:03 PM »
Deb...I'm not too familiar with the bookstores in CC, although we spent one Feb. on Mustang Island.  I think there's a B&N there somewhere...maybe on SPID ?,  but if you can find a used bookstore, so much the better.  Enjoy CC!  

jane

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2010, 12:28:24 AM »
Steph, you lucky duck, you got a "gently used" Little Bee at your library book sale?  I checked out the library copy, am almost finished, and since it wasn't on the hold list I was hoping I could renew it.  But, no such luck as it was due yesterday and now someone wants it.  So, I will finish it tomorrow, return it and get back on the hold list -- and make special note of the first 85 pages.

When I checked out Little Bee my hold on The Room came up at the same time, so I started that one first -- definitely outside my comfort zone.  I spent little more than an afternoon with it, and returned it to the library.  Interesting, both books have children similar in age.

Babi

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2010, 08:56:05 AM »
I see my posts are breaking into staggers again.  I have NO idea why that
happens.

Steph

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2010, 10:08:36 AM »
Reading a bit at a time.. Odd start to a book,but I am sure all will be clear eventually. We spent some time in Corpus in a very nice RV park close to the bridge.. Huge shopping center nearby.. But dont remember any used book stores and I kept pretty close track when we were in the rv to trade out our read ones and get ones new to us..

ALF43

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2010, 11:39:02 AM »
I'll show you how smart I am Pedln- I thought that I had downloaded a sample of ROOM and lo and behold dummy here downloaded the whole damned thing.  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

bookad

« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2010, 04:01:09 PM »

Deb again

just returned from Corpus Christi, lucked out found $7.00 copy of 'The Bee'--wonderful second hand book store called
'Half Price Books', 5425 SPID 185...address ...huge store
015mgr@halfpricebooks.com
--will be adding this to my notes of places to remember in transit

so now to begin reading
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wildflower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2010, 06:26:56 PM »
Deb...Half Priced Books is a marvelous store. There's also one I found in San Marcos, if you get up that way.

jane

bellamarie

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2010, 01:26:36 AM »
I just popped in and saw the book choice for January is "Little Bee."  Alf, I too was a good girl this year because under my tree on Christmas morning was my Nookcolor, the one gift I was so hoping for.  It took me the entire day yesterday with tech support from Barnes and Noble and Netgear along with reviews on the site to get me connected, but alas, I am all up and running.  I have checked and I can purchase Little Bee for 9.95 which I suppose is not a bad price since I just read bookad got a used copy for 7.00.  So, I will be joining the discussion, although I must say I have read the reviews and it will be outside my comfort zone as well.  But there has never been a discussion with our SeniorLearn members I have ever felt out of my comfort zone with so we will tackle this together.  Looking forward to it......off to download and read my first book on my nook.  

Ciao for now~

p.s. This was an interesting quote by The Kansas City Star about Little Bee, "It's also about the insular versus the global. ... Cleave's book asks us to step outside our own tidy borders, let the world in and embrace our own an other's humanity." 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2010, 01:53:54 AM »
Have almost finished the first 85 pages. I love the writing! It is outside my comfort zone as well, but now that I've started it, wild horses couldn't keep me from finishing.

Aberlaine

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2010, 08:43:20 AM »
Started the book last night.  Had to put it down.  Story too intense for me.  I'll lurk while you discuss it.

Nancy

Steph

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2010, 09:12:27 AM »
Finished the first 85,, but the foreshadowing is getting deeper and deeper. I will hang in there and trust all of you to keep me from falling into a hole here.

ursamajor

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2010, 09:22:31 AM »
Outside my comfort zone as well.  Doesn't get any better, either.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2010, 09:34:02 AM »
You can all hold hands with me, I have read the whole thing and although I have re-borrowed the library copy for this discussion, I will not be re-reading the entire novel - like you Nancy, I may just "lurk"  :)

Rosemary

Mippy

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2010, 10:38:28 AM »
Ditto, me too, on outside-comfort zone!

Regarding reading on Kindle, although I'm reading hard copy of this, 25% of the book would be the usual first week of 4. 
Does that work for any of you reading the Kindle version?
quot libros, quam breve tempus