Author Topic: Plutarch--October Classics Book Club  (Read 59513 times)

bookad

Re: Plutarch--October Classics Book Club
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »
Plutarch's Lives

Plutarch at the Museum of Delphi, Greece.

The readers have spoken and our next read October 1 will be:
Plutarch (c.46 A.D.- c. 120 A.D.) in his famous "Lives" or Lives of the Noble Grecians and Romans; also called Parallel Lives.

Schedule:

Oct. 1-?: Pompey

Oct. ?:  Anthony

Oct. ?: Alcibiades, Coriolanus and comparison

Oct. ?: Demosthenes, Cicero and comparison

?:  Windup

Questions for Week I: Pompey:

1. Someone once saidthat everyone wants either money, fame, or power. Which of these was most important to Pompey? What avenues were open to Romans to acheive these goals? Does this differe from modern society?

2. If Plutarch wrote these lives as moral lessons for the young, what do you feel is his moral assessment of Pompey? What is yours?

3. In a period where there was almost no threat to the Roman Empire from the outside, there was almost constant war. Other than reasons already given , what do you think are the reasons for this? Are there any parallels in modern times?

4. How is the US government based on the Roman Republic. What does Pompey's life tell us about how that Republic worked in practice? How is that different from the way ours works (or is it)? Could our Republic be ended at one stroke as the Roman's was?

5. What does Pompey's life tell us about the role of women in Patrician Roman society?

Ruins of the temple of Apollo at Delphi, where Plutarch was a priest

Discussion Leaders: JoanK and  PatH

Clough Translation-Roshanarose's Link

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its kind of ironic...I first became interested with seniorlearn when the book group with Will Durant's 'Civilization' series  began, read book 1 with them then and somehow lost sight and interest in the group with book 2 and 3 and 4, of which one of them is about ancient Greece history...and now that seems where the classics are

as for the civilization group eagerly awaiting for the 1500's to begin

Deb
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wildflower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 03:08:49 PM »
Its funny: I think we're all a bit scared: this is "THE CLASSICS" after all. Then we start reading, and find they're just people like us with all our warts and pimples: maybe even a few more.

Babi

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 09:19:51 AM »
 I would appreciate it, JOAN, if you left warts, moles, etc., entirely out of the discussion.  :(
 ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 03:30:14 PM »
 :D

Perranza

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2011, 09:09:56 AM »
I'm here, following a link provided by Ginny. I'm in the Latin 101a class.  Thanks for the Kindle edition tip; an active TOC is always a big help!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2011, 10:14:31 AM »
Welcome, Perranza!  It's good to meet a new friend.  Another good thing about the Kindle: the hardback is very heavy.  I hope you'll have fun here.  And there's no exam. ;)

Perranza

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2011, 11:05:21 AM »
PatH,

Is there a way to mark this discussion so that it will open with the new posts since my last visit?  I did get that function turned on for the Latin course but have forgotten how it is done.

JudeS

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2011, 01:56:41 PM »
Here is an interesting look at the classics and the general publics view of Plutarch's Lives.
When I ordered the books at the Library only Volumes 1 and 2 were in the system. I finally received the yellowing books and noticed that the last tme Book 1 was taken out was Oct. 2001. The last time book 2 was taken out was Feb. 1999 !

Book 3 was available on Amazon but it cost as much as Book 1 and 2 combined.

As I mentioned before I live in a city of close to a million souls.
Trying to give these fact a positive spin I must force myself to believe that the readers of Plutarch all buy their books.Or now read it on Kindle for 99 cents.

However I too must share the blame. If it wasn't for this group I would never have approached Plutarch.

So, if Plutarch is watching us from Mount Olympus, he is overjoyed that he has been rediscovered.(Did the Romans have a Mt. Olympus?)

Babi

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2011, 06:40:56 PM »
 Welcome, Perranza.   I think I can help you with your question.  At the top of the page is
a line, in blue, that reads
Show new replies in discussions in which you have posted.
If you click on this line, it will take you to the first of the new posts.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2011, 07:31:54 PM »
Jude, my library system has 27 copies of the paperbacks volumes 1 and 2, of which one copy of volume 2 is checked out.  (What's in volume 3 , that no one has it?)  It has 3 hardbacks, one checked out by me.  Yes, I should return it now that I've found my copy, but somehow I don't think there's any hurry.  We don't stamp due dates, so I don't know when it was last out.

Perranza

« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2011, 07:58:22 PM »
Babi, Thanks for the suggestion. I've clicked on that link and will see how it works tomorrow, when there will be new posts.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »
Here is a summary which I found helpful to understand a little about the man:

"PLUTARCH. c.46--c.125 Considered by many to be the most important Greek writer of the early Roman period, Plutarch was a member of a well-to-do Greek family, a chief magistrate, a priest at Delphi, and an exceptionally well-read individual.
The temple of Apollo at Delphi was extremely important.  Here's a link to what's left now.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/greece/delphi-sanctuary-of-apollo

As nearly as I can figure out, the ruins we see now are what's left of the same place Plutarch officiated in, which dates from the 4th century BC.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2011, 09:25:14 PM »
PERRANZA: if that suggestion doesn't work, try coming into the discussion with this link:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=106.0

If i'm right (I hope) it will give you a link to the discussion where you can press "new".

JoeF

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2011, 11:59:22 PM »
Welcome, everyone, to our October Book Club.  Plutarch really deserved his winning vote, and now we're about to find out why.  The book is easy to get; There are free versions on Kindle, and online, including Project Gutenberg.  I'm using a library book, and somehow I feel I'll be able to renew it several times without running into a waiting list.  It's good to check the translation for readability.  That turned out to be crucial in our Odyssey discussion.  We picked 4 short sections from this massive work, and will take one a week.

Come in and say hi, let us know you're with us, and we can continue our chat from the other site.

I'm really looking forward to this!

Hello, I am JoeF from northern CA, and i just learned about this course from the Latin 101 discussion. I just d/loaded Plutarch's Lives, vols 1,2,3 via Kindle. I am looking forward to learn about this notable man. Thanks for offering it.
"The Irish do not lend themselves to psychoanalysis." -- S. Freud

JoeF

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2011, 12:11:24 AM »
Welcome, Perranza.   I think I can help you with your question.  At the top of the page is
a line, in blue, that reads
Show new replies in discussions in which you have posted.
If you click on this line, it will take you to the first of the new posts.

Dear Babi and Perranza both,
my internet expl 8 shows this discussion listing, but i do not see the blue line to which you refer. i also want to tie together my discussions/postings. to which page am i to go?
"The Irish do not lend themselves to psychoanalysis." -- S. Freud

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2011, 04:59:32 AM »
Took me some time to find the show new replies discussions line -- is located just below date line and above the time logged in line.

WELCOME JoeF and Perranza!

Poppaea

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2011, 07:05:12 AM »
Am so looking forward to Plutarch. I have the Dryden/Clough translation of Volume 11; am thinking of getting Volume I from Amazon.

Frybabe

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2011, 08:47:31 AM »
How exciting to see so many new Latin students joining our Classical Book discussion. Welcome, all!

Babi

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »
 Beautiful photographs in the link,PAT.  I can see why a place like that could come to be
a center for worship.

JOEF, I'm  not sure how the expl.8 may differ from mine; I would have thought the page
make-up would be the same. The line to which I referred is at the very top. I'm also
not sure what you mean by 'tie together' your discussions/postings. (I am definitely not
one of the best informed on computers; I only know the easy stuff.   :( )  If you go to
the Discussion Index you will find a site offering help with technical questions. Good
luck.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2011, 08:06:51 PM »
The Show New Replies for any discussion is at the VERY top left hand corner of every page here on SeniorLearn:

If you click on that it will show you all the discussions in which you have posted which have new posts.

Welcome Perranza, and Joe F, and  hepeskin!  As well as everyone who previously posted.  I know you will enjoy Plutarch.

I wish now we had done Otho, I just read a fascinating account of the Year of 4 Emperors, of whom he was one in  79 A.D.  

This is not a course but it does look wonderful! And isn't it nice to see so many people with an interest in the classics!
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

roshanarose

« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »
Deb : I sometimes wonder if you can fall in love with another civilization/culture when you are besotted and passionate about another.  Is it too late for me, or is it just my nature?  My love of Greece started early, when I was about ten, and read Gustav Schwab's "Gods and Heroes".  It blew me away.  When I finally got to see Greece in 1982 I knew I had returned to my true home.  The home of my soul and my heart, at least. Η Ψυκή και η καρδιά μου.

I honestly think that you need to drown yourself (metaphorically speaking) in knowing all about your passion.  That includes modern and ancient history.  Modern Greece has an interesting and varied history.  They are still consumed by politics.

PatH - Thanks so much for that link about Delphi.  I have visited there twice, and awe-inspiring is the correct adjective for Delphi.  Unfortunately, the lower part of Delphi, ie down the hill from the Temple of Apollo, had recently experienced some seismic activity and was deemed unsafe to visit.  There is the Sanctuary of Athena, a beautiful building of Tholos style.  Also not too far from there are the sacred Castalian Springs.

The Oracle who was called Pythia, was said to perch on a tripod over the gases that emanated from the rock below.  She, the Pythia, made some interesting, although always cryptic prophecies.  I must see if I can find a source of those prophesies online.  
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2011, 09:51:32 PM »
WELCOME, WELCOME JOEF and HEPESKIN!! Great to see so many new people here.

While you're here,, if you want, browse our other discussions to see if anything interests you. Anything you read, we discuss: from mysteries to poetry to history to literary games.

To see the list, click on "Seniorlearn Discussions" at the top of the page.

Or click on the arrow after "jump to" and the name of this discussion at the bottom of the page. Highlight the discussion you're interested in, it will appear in the "jump to" box. Then hit "go".

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2011, 10:14:06 PM »
Hello, JoeF and hepeskin, and welcome.  It's good to see you here.

Ginny says "This is not a course".  Very true.  Probably some of you know more about Plutarch, or the people whose lives we are going to read, than I do.  But what we do here is to dig into the subject together, share what we find, and, most important, share what we think and feel about what we have found out.  In the process we all learn so much.

I'm honored to be on board with my fellow voyagers.

bookad

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2011, 12:58:52 PM »
my own little system for keeping track

hi there
just thought I'd give an example of my own little system for keeping track of places in the book club
I am using 'google chrome' and when done with a reading I use the favourites bar for keeping track of where I left off, so my favourite bar now looks something like

seniorlearn.org-story of civilization-pg 37 r1451
                     -the classics-odessey-
                                      -plutarch-pg 2 r42
                                           1.. oct 1 pompey
                                           2..oct 8 artaxeras
                                           3a..oct 15  alcibiades
                                           3b..oct 15  coriolanus
                                           4a..oct  22 demosthenes
                                           4b..oct 22  cicero
                      -the library-pg 1557                    
                      -tecknophobe pg 7 279

and wherever I finish off reading a section rebookmark the page with the current reply I just finished reading

I am a 'virgo' and love to create order out of chaos...probaby making more work than needs be...but love to create 'systems' for myself as well

Deb
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wildflower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2011, 03:03:08 PM »
Your system is lovely! Care to come to my place and organize my books?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2011, 04:53:46 PM »
Deb, which sign has a knack for turning order into chaos?  I bet it's mine.

palmtree

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2011, 08:40:31 PM »
I'll be happy to join. Plutarch will be very exciting.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »
WELCOME, PALMTREE!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2011, 09:37:37 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS

PatH

ON

YOUR NEW

GRANDDAUGHTER!

roshanarose

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2011, 10:02:28 PM »
PatH - A beautiful baby granddaughter has come into your life.  How wonderful.  What are the parents going to call her?

Welcome Newbies - Great to have you "on board" :) 

btw - Ginny and/or Latin Learners who may visit this page.  Please tell me what is the best Latin dictionary to buy for a beginner, ie me :)
I am going to post the "to be" endings up on the wall so I may learn them quickly.  Well, that's the plan anyway.  I don't want to seem antisocial not joining your group, Ginny, but this class provides a social outing for me and costs very little.

also - If anyone spotted it, I spelled one of those Greek words incorrectly.  It should be Η ψυχή.  It means "soul" and "mind" and is where we get all our psych- words from.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Gumtree

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2011, 06:00:49 AM »
Roshanarose:  Ginny recommends the hardback Cassell's Latin Dictionary - I got mine in Borders (when we had a Borders) $46.99 which incidentally is more than Ginny's class costs. The class is more fun for your money   :D
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Babi

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »
I didn't realize that was one of the 'virtues' of a Virgo, bookad.  My younger daughter
is a Virgo, and she is much more comfortable surrounded by disorder.  She does, however,
enjoy things that require patience, precision and an eye for detail. Does beautiful craft
needlework.

roshanarose

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2011, 09:36:32 AM »
Noted Gumtree, thanks.

joshyoung

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2011, 12:28:25 PM »
Hi...
I'm joining Roxania and Gumtree from Latin 102. This looks like a great group. I am using the Gutenberg translation from Amazon on my Ipad. There is a good intro I plan to cover today and hopefully jump into the conversation.

Gumtree

« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2011, 12:32:58 PM »
 Josh That's terrific. Looks like plenty of Latin students have signed in - Got to keep PatH and JoanK on their toes  ;)
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Frybabe

« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
Hi Josh, great to see you are joining the discussion.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2011, 01:57:22 PM »
Palmtree and joshyoung, welcome!  It's exciting to get so many new people here.

Frybabe

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2011, 03:01:09 PM »
oops! Missed Palmtree. Didn't mean to miss anyone. Welcome, Palmtree. This is going to be one great discussion.

JudeS

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2011, 01:47:43 PM »
Wow!
The Volume 3 that I ordered from Amazon has no listed translator, No table of contents and has a very weird 16th century spelling. As an example:

t Paulianus allures us that his vilage was homely-, but at the fame time declares,that inp.i. it of li e andUrc- igth no man lit Feloponnelus exceeded him.

Can someone decode this?
Has anyone else experienced this strange way of publishing when ordering from Amazon?

JoanR

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2011, 02:42:50 PM »
Good Grief!!!!!  Were the first 2 vols. OK?  Who was the publisher?  Was it a print-on-demand book?  I'm curious because I have the library copy of the Modern Library Giant edition and I would like to acquire my own - but in 2 or more volumes to keep the bulk down!