Author Topic: Bleak House by Charles Dickens - February Book Club Online - PRE-DISCUSSION  (Read 55702 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Bleak House by Charles Dickens - February Book Club Online
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2012, 06:44:29 AM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in

Join our celebration of Charles Dickens' 200th birthday in February.

The discussion of this book will begin on February 15

Bleak House                            
by Charles Dickens

Bleak House is the 10th novel by Charles Dickens, published in twenty monthly installments between March 1852 and September 1853. It is held to be one of Dickens's finest novels, containing one of the most vast, complex and engaging arrays of minor characters and sub-plots in his entire canon. The story is told partly by the novel's heroine, Esther Summerson, and partly by an omniscient narrator.

The story revolves around the mystery of Esther Summerson's mother and it involves a murder story and one of English fiction's earliest detectives, Inspector Bucket.
Most of all, though, the story is about love and how it can cut through human tangles and produce a happy ending.

The house where Dickens lived in 1850, said to have inspired his novel of the same name.  He wrote Oliver Twist in this house.  

DLs:  JoanP, Marcie, PatH, Babi,   JoanK  

That's good to hear, JudeS!  Will be looking for you as soon as the ship makes it to shore!  That is a bargain!  

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2012, 06:47:21 PM »
And I'm in. Started to read it last night, and loved it.

PEDLIN: for my kindle, I splurged and got The Complete Dickens for $2.99. At the beginning, it has an interactive table of contents to the books, and once you get to Bleak house, it has an interactive table of contents to the chapters. It has the illustrations, but on my kindle, they're hard to see (or msybe it's my eyesight  :)).

ROSEMARY: we're going to depend on you to understand hopw the court works. Already, I understand chapter 1 better: everyone shows up, hoping their case will be called that day. AAAAACK. I read it last night, and there are a lot of references I didn't get. I'm dying to know: what is a "bag wig"?

JoanR

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2012, 07:54:19 PM »
I'll be here too! I've  never read "Bleak House" so I'm very happy that we'll be doing it together!
 I have the huge facsimile edition of the 1938 Nonesuch Dickens  with illustrations.  However it's much too heavy for me to handle at this time, so my daughter downloaded a copy from Gutenberg (I think) onto my Nook.  I'm not crazy about reading it on the Nook - I like more content per page than I can get on that - so tomorrow I'll see about putting it on my little notebook.  Sounds as if this place is awash in gadgets!!
I have the DVD's of the BBC production of a few years ago, but I think I'd better read first and watch later.
I wonder if there is such a thing as a 2 vol. paperback of Bleak House?  Now that would be just right for me!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2012, 07:34:04 AM »
JoanR - I'm drooling all over my keyboard, reading of your  1938 facsimile edition!  I understand why that would be too much to hold - but please promise to keep it out - on your dining room table, or some other place of honor - perhaps a dictionary reading stand - and spend 10 minutes a day reading it?  Wonderful to hear that you will be joining in the discussion!

And PatH has the Norton Critical edition, with extremely valuable footnotes!  Where does one get such a copy?  Pat promises to share her findings from those footnotes.

JoanK, welcome, welcome!  Not only are you "in" but you have volunteered to help lead the discussion! We are in good hands!

This is going to be a very special birthday discussion - Dickens would be quite pleased, I do believe.

Babi

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 09:16:55 AM »
 For now, I am avoiding the 'introductions' to the book.  The front one is by
a Barbara Hardy and is 20 pages long.  I think that is rather more than an 'introduction'.  The appendix includes an earlier introduction by G. K. Chesterton. I know I'll want to read that one, eventually.  But I want to see
what my own impressions are, before reading theirs.
  I looked up Barbara Hardy.  She is a biographer of writers, and has written
books about Hardy and Eliot, as well as Dickens.  She might be a good source
to follow up on, since we discuss so many classic writers. I should probably
mention her over in non-fiction.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 10:19:22 AM »
Norton's Edition is available on Amazon -- have a used for $14.66

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2012, 10:33:10 AM »
Part of the lure of reading Dickens is finding out firsthand what everyday life was like in nineteenth century London. Some terms used in Dickens' works may be unfamiliar to today's readers and this glossary attempts to help readers better understand the times in which Dickens lived and described in such vivid detail.
http://www.charlesdickenspage.com/glossary.html
bag-wig:  a black hair wig carried in a small silk bag.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2012, 03:38:03 PM »
Thanks for the information, kidsal...I may have to order the Norton from Amazon...

I like the link to the glossary too...if I can find the glossary.  There's a good map in that site.

Here's another view of the Bleak House on which Dickens based the house of the title.  He wrote Oliver Twist while living in this house...
Today it's on the market - can be yours for only 2 million pounds!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2012, 07:51:52 PM »
I think the Norton paperback is widely available; I got mine at Politics and Prose.  It was the last one, though they had several other editions too.

What are we waiting for?  A mere 2 million pounds.  Looks like a good summer retreat.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 03:22:49 AM »
And probably another 2 million on the heating bills.  Anyone seen a banker's bonus kicking its heels?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2012, 09:05:18 AM »
Now THIS is my image of Bleak House that I will keep in mind during the entire reading.  It's an undated "vintage" postcard- I think I've seen this photo somewhere - dated 1920

Babi

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2012, 09:13:10 AM »
That's great, KIDSAL. I've copied that link into my notes for handy
reference.
  Hasn't the Bleak House location been transplanted for the book?  I haven't
read anything that indicates the Jarndyce home is on the coast. It has
also bothered me slightly that the Jarndyce home is a happy one; it's the
Dedlock mansion that strikes me as bleak!

Okay, ROSEMARY.  What's a 'banker's bonus',  for us 'merican speakers.  ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2012, 03:31:02 PM »
Only 2 million pounds? We definately need to buy it for our vacation home. We can meet there, and read the book together.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »
Thanks for the "bag wig". From the context, I gather that wearing a bag wig means you are low status. There is probably a heirarchy of wigs (the more curls, the higher status?) People are so funny!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2012, 12:13:39 PM »
JOANP, I just stopped in for a moment and fell in love with that house.  When do we leave?

I'm excited to see the inside, the round one-floor on the right would be - what?  the library?  And the staircase, in the middle of the house as you come in the front door do you think?

The two tower floors on the left would be the parlor downstairs, the master's bedroom on the second. 

And do I live on the third floor and wear a little organdy white apron over my long black dress with a white cap and come when I am called?  And  am I up long before the family and take care of the fireplaces in the bedrooms and help Cook in the kitchen who gets cranky if I'm late?

JudeS

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »
JoanP
It seems that you are having a party at your summer "Hideaway".
What are the dates for this soiree?
I want to make sure my calendar is clear.
Is there a dress code?
Will the coach meet us at the Railway station?
I will make sure to have my copy of Bleak House in my carryall.

bookad

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »
hello there
better late than never, count me in for joining in with this book--just got my copy from the North Fort Myers library, and its the 'Oxford Illustrated Dickens'
-have never willingly read any 'Dickens' before; only 'A Tale of Two Cities' from a high school course--I remember my father saying how he
enjoyed reading books by this author, so am willing to give it a try
Deb
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wildflower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

Frybabe

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »
The Fredrickson Library in Camp Hill is having a Charles Dickens Tribute next Tuesday evening. I have yet to make the trip to this lovely building with plenty of parking although I've been by it many times in the past.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2012, 08:29:47 PM »
WELCOME DEB! It's fun reading these books with no teacher hanging over us

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2012, 08:50:24 PM »
Welcome, both of you!

***Ella, so glad to have you join us!  Here's another view of the house - an illustration from the frontispiece in the original illustrated edition-

Are you sure you want to spend your life with cranky Lady Dedlock in this old old house?  I can just see you in that black dress, with little white cap askew... :D

***JudeS - have you jumped the ship?  That. was. quite. a. voyage, wasn't it? It's good to see that you are joining us.
The soiree  will take place right here - on Charlie's birthday - Feb. 7.  Hmm, a dress code, you ask?  How about we make it a costume party?  Come dressed as any one of  the authors many characters.   What do you think of that?   Ella has already claimed Lady Dedlock's maid.

We'll begin the discussion of THE FIRST INSTALLMENT of Bleak House - that's Chapters 1-4.

***Deb, you're not late - you're early.  The party is scheduled for Dickens' birthday - Feb 7 - and we'll spend the next week getting ready for Bleak House.  "have never willingly read any 'Dickens' before" :D  You are in for a treat!  Happy you are going to be with us.  I have the same Illustrated edition.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2012, 09:16:44 PM »
I'm definitely going to wear a wig. But which one? Hmmmmm

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2012, 09:19:54 PM »
Sooo, if you can't make it to London to join the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall at the  Official Wreathlaying Ceremony commemorating the birth of Charles Dickens at Westminster Abbey on Feb.7 - Frybabe has just  provided an alternative at the Fredrickson Library in Camp Hill, PA.  Do you plan to attend, Fry?

Maryz posted this in the Library...I'll put it in the heading here too-

For those Dickens lovers, the Wordsmith in A Word A Day is featuring Dickensian words this week.

Frybabe

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2012, 11:11:06 PM »
Not sure whether I will attend the Library event or not. You see, the 7th is George's birthday too. I am still not sure what to do for him this year since he hasn't been well and tires easily. The only thing he really wants right now is to feel better, and that will be up to the surgeon and hormone therapy, not me. They finally figured out what was wrong with him. He has a pituitary tumor. Surgery can't be scheduled until they get his hormone levels into an acceptable range.

Babi

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2012, 08:32:36 AM »
 Oh, surely not. Ella has described a housemaid. I'm sure she would not
want to be Lady Dedlock's personal maid. She appears to be a very,..well, shall we say, unpleasant...person. 

That is a neat link, JOAN.  Let's see: 'wellerism'; that must be from
"The Pickwick Papers".  'fagin' I suppose to be from "Oliver Twist". Don't
remember 'gamp', but of course everybody knows 'scrooge'!

FRYBABE, sorry your George is feeling so poorly. That really gets to be
a drag after a time. I have found that a good book can help distract me
when I'm ill or uncomfortable. I do hope George will soon be strong enough to get that tumor taken out; that's the main thing.

Frybabe

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2012, 08:53:57 AM »
Thank you Babi.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2012, 10:18:46 AM »
Frybabe, my thoughts are with you and George. I hope he'll be stabilized soon.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2012, 12:47:28 PM »
A party, a party?  I'm coming and bringing a gamp, just in case. (If you want to know what a gamp is, go to the interesting site Word-A-Day that MaryZ brought us.

JoanP,  I love that picture post card showing the house.  I enlarged it and tried to print it out, but my printer from h rejected it. However, it's still saved, and one click will make it fill my screen.

Frybabe, it's got to be close to 30 years ago, a friend's 10-year-old granddaughter had a tumor removed from her pituitary -- they had to go from Missouri to Seattle for the surgery. That little girl is now expecting her fourth child, and homeschools her other three.  I'm wishing the best for George and hope he's better soon.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »
I echo Pedlin's wishes.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2012, 10:09:19 PM »
Well, Frybabe, we'll celebrate George's birthday on the 7th too!  And it's clear what we'll all be wishing for him!  Give him our best wishes, please!  Pedln, thank you for that upbeat message for George.

I'm glad you liked that word-a-day link, Babi I did too.  Isn't it amazing how many words Dickens has added to our English language?  According to the word a day site, "gamp" is a large umbrella a word that comes from Dickens' Sarah Gamp - a nurse in his Martin Chuzzlewit - who carries a huge umbrella:

Babi - I agree, the role of Lady Dedlock's personal maid is a difficult one for Ella. - BUT it turns out there is more than one maid living up there on the third floor.  
Sir Leicester Dedlock's "stately old housekeeper lives up there too...Mrs. Rouncewell - "handsome" - "stately"   What do you say, Ella?

Babi

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2012, 08:25:56 AM »
 Oh, perfect, JOANP.  I can well imagine ELLA as the dignified, stately
Mrs. Rouncewell.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2012, 10:30:22 AM »
Oh my. This is exciting!  Have you seen Time Magazine's daily countdown rating Dickens' Top Ten Novels.
Here's a challenge for you today - If you correctly answer these two questions before Time completes this list of   Dickens top ten novels, YOU will win a prize.

1. Will Bleak House make the top ten list?  Yes/No?
2. If it does, where will Bleak House place - #1, #2, or #3?

Here are the rankings to date:

Number 10: Oliver Twist
Number 9: Dombey and Sons
Number 8: Hard Times
Number 7: The Pickwick Papers
Number 6: A Tale of Two Cities
Number 5: Our Mutual Friend
Number 4: David Copperfield
Number 3: Little Dorrit
Number 2?
Number 1?

JoanR

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2012, 12:06:57 PM »
question #1  Yes definitely in top 10
              #2  I think Dickens is said to have ranked it as his best novel - can't really argue with the Master!!!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2012, 12:19:04 PM »
Yep I agree - from what I have read Dickens ranked it his best but for some reason my guess is Bleak House will be number 2 and Great Expectations will be nominated as number 1 - several missing that I thought deserved a spot - The Old Curiosity Shop, Little Dorret, and The Christmas Carol and so it will be interesting to see how this top ten pans out....
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Maryemm

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »

Can't resist adding my two penn'orth:

1. A Christmas Carol
2.Great Expectations
3. Bleak House

Frybabe

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2012, 02:01:28 PM »
You'll have to revise your list. Times just put up Little Dorrit in the #3 spot. I didn't see any mention on what their criteria was to get on this list. A Christmas Carol and Great Expectations are usually very high on lots of top ten Dickens lists that I've seen. I have to agree with MaryEmm on 1 & 2.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2012, 02:14:25 PM »
Thank you, Frybabe.  Will put up new listing...Sorry Maryemm, only one guess per person.  This means that Bleak House will come in #1, #2 - or not at all.
1. Will Bleak House make the top ten list?  Yes/No?
2. If it does, where will Bleak House place - #1, #2, or #3?

Here are the rankings to date:

Number 10: Oliver Twist
Number 9: Dombey and Sons
Number 8: Hard Times
Number 7: The Pickwick Papers
Number 6: A Tale of Two Cities
Number 5: Our Mutual Friend
Number 4: David Copperfield
Number 3: Little Dorrit
Number 2?
Number 1?

Frybabe

« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2012, 02:36:10 PM »
Forgot to mention, George thanks you for your birthday greetings and best wishes.

boookworm

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2012, 03:37:16 PM »
I'm planning to join the Bleak House discussion; Dickens has always been a favorite of mine and haven't read Bleak House in a very long time.

JudeS

« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »
You've listed #3 as little Dorrit.
Therefore I would say that Bleakhouse is  #2 and A Christmas Carole as # 1.

Does anyone know if any Dicken's books are still part of the American Public School Curriculum?

JudeS

« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2012, 04:06:21 PM »
oops- I just noticed that Great Expectations is not yet on the list.
So off with The Christmas Carole and on with Great Expectations as number one.

I will leave Bleakhouse as number two.