Author Topic: The Library  (Read 149277 times)

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
Re: The Library ~ NEW
« Reply #560 on: August 09, 2009, 07:02:56 PM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is  always out.
Do come in from the heat and humidity and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

Suggestion Box for Future Discussions

Actually this is kind of spooky. They are coming to all the room and disinfecting them with clorox and water. They are spraying down the elevators. The general manager is here with shirt rolled up and is pitching in and cleaning. They took all the chairs and tables in the lobby and washed them down with something. I keep thinking about flu epedemics in the early 1900's and I wonder if this is it???
In the flier we got they said that thisis very  contageous and we should stay in our apts. Scary stuff.
Actually this is kind of spooky. They are coming to all the room and disinfecting them with clorox and water. They are spraying down the elevators. The general manager is here with shirt rolled up and is pitching in and cleaning. They took all the chairs and tables in the lobby and washed them down with something. I keep thinking about flu epedemics in the early 1900's and I wonder if this is it???
In the flier we got they said that thisis very  contageous and we should stay in our apts. Scary stuff.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #561 on: August 09, 2009, 09:12:11 PM »
Oh, JUDY. We will all keep prayers and good thoughts for you. But I think you will be alright as long as you get good care, should you get sick.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #562 on: August 09, 2009, 10:32:54 PM »
{{Judy}} Yes, please don't forget to take care of yourself. It's good that the facility is shut down so  you won't be asked to help anyone for a while. You need the rest!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #563 on: August 10, 2009, 12:42:49 AM »
Judy, I'm sure you know this, but the best prevention measure you can take is to wash your hands a lot, especially every time you come back into your apartment and before touching food.

you surely don't need this on top of everything else.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #564 on: August 10, 2009, 07:11:15 AM »
Judy, what a stressful time you've had!!  {{{Hugs}}}}. I hope Don recovers OK, scary.

I've just been reading about this fall's expected "Pandemic," and the fact that there may not be enough vaccine by then.  Sounds like you are on the cutting edge out there :).  It also sounds like you're in a good place should this occur, so that was a great move. So good of you to take others, as always, (how many years have you been doing this?)  to the doctor.

The Internet is wonderful, isn't it? You can keep us posted from the front  as to what's happening.

I know YOU have a million books on hand as always for any duration! Good luck, we're all pulling for you!

Here's something today  that the sender swears has been checked out at Norton and is it Snopes?

Do not open
>> any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM
>> HALLMARK,'regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus
>> which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole
>> hard disc C of your computer.
>> This virus will be received from someone who has your
>> e-mail address in his/her contact list.

Steph

« Reply #565 on: August 10, 2009, 08:25:29 AM »
Oh Judy, you are doing so much.. Remember yourself. I is so important. I think we all worry about you. Make time for Judy.. Love yourself.
Wanted to mention. I just finished "Plaine Secrets" subtitled An outsider among the Amish by Joe Marshall. It is excellent. He lives surrounded by one of the strictest of Amish sects. This is about his neighbor and friend who is Amish. Excellent indeed. Gives you such a clear picture of their life and joys and sorrows.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #566 on: August 10, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »
 I hope the measures the management is taking are successful, JUDY.  It does
sound as though they reacted promptly to the threat, which is to their credit.
Did they ever identify the 'highly contagious' illness?  I can understand they
might want to wait until the crisis passes, so as not to alarm people too much,
but I'd definitely want to know at some point.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #567 on: August 10, 2009, 10:31:16 AM »
Judy:  As you can see we are a concerned community and please remember that you can always tell us how rotten life is and we will listen.  SOmetimes all we need to do is rant a little and then we can go on with what needs doing.  Rant away!  My heart is with you. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #568 on: August 10, 2009, 08:17:48 PM »
Good heavens, Judy, this is all too much coming at once.  What do the docs say about Don, after the scans and the dye injections.  I sure hope his fall didn't bruise anything seriously.

It's scary when you don't know why they're isolating everyone.  Did they give a name to this illness.?  Is anyone receiving medical treatment for it?  Surely your docs should know.

Do be sure to take care of yourself.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #569 on: August 10, 2009, 08:26:34 PM »
Pedln there are 56 people sick as of today. Candi told me last night that its the norwak flu like they have on the cruise ships. I think she is right. They just sent out a flier and they are calling it a NoroVirus  Infection.

The break down is
8/06/09 First Reported case
8/07/09 Second reported case.
8/08/09 Fourteen reported cases
8/9/09 Twenty eight cased reported
8/10/09 Ten Reported case.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #570 on: August 10, 2009, 09:34:41 PM »
Norwalk flu -- ask Jane about it.  The danger is dehydration.
But it should not last too long, but it very hard on older people.
It is more a stomach/intestinal flu virus.

Drink lots of liquids.

Babi

« Reply #571 on: August 11, 2009, 08:14:32 AM »
 Wow, that flu spreads fast!  I'm glad to see the latest count of new cases is
down by nearly a third of the previous days count.  The end appears to be in
sight.  My commendations to your management for their fast action.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #572 on: August 11, 2009, 08:42:57 AM »
Cruise ships.. college dorms, enclosed environments.. Had not thought, but that also described a senior center with independent and assisted living. Stay in there Judy..

winsummm

« Reply #573 on: August 12, 2009, 12:35:11 PM »
I  have a new favorite author for fiction. Joseph Finder who writes about corporate spying etc. Kindle has a free book of his paranoia which got me started. It is interesting as well as entertaining. He's a nice writer.

claire
 8) 
thimk

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #574 on: August 12, 2009, 03:52:55 PM »
The Norovirus, which we caught on a cruise ship in June,  can spread rapidly. One sick person can infect 14 others.  It sure spread fast on our ship and we were really, really sick for about 48 hours.  It can hit like a bolt out of the blue.

Claire...my husband discovered Joseph Finder on a recommendation from another fellow while we were in S. Texas last year.  He's come to really enjoy Finder's mysteries.

jane

marjifay

« Reply #575 on: August 12, 2009, 06:16:44 PM »
Thanks for reminding me, Claire and Jane, how good Joseph Finder's thrillers are.  Paranoia, Company Man, Cut and Run (a book that defies you to put it down!).  I haven't read him for awhile.  Will have to get another one.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #576 on: August 12, 2009, 06:41:30 PM »
Speaking of thrillers reminded me of Larry Hanna, a member of the old Sr. Net book discussion group who handled the book exchange.  I got a couple of good books from him.  Wonder if he's still around somewhere.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #577 on: August 13, 2009, 08:28:37 AM »
Larry did a splendid job of keeping the book exchange going. I just realized that I have not seen any posts by him in here.
MFH loves Joseph Finder. I am not a fan of that sort of book, but he is.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #578 on: August 13, 2009, 08:36:31 AM »
Yes Larry has been here, and occasionally posts also in the Seniors & Friends. I was just thinking about him. The last I heard he was doing well,  and had taken up his  walking again. I'll let him know you're thinking about him here. :)

I started  again The Oxford Murders last night as I could not find Burn. I had put The Oxford Murders  down originally, I can't imagine why, I love it. Did you finish it, Pedln?

It so reminds me of Oxford and it's a mystery, very literate, with neato clues that would engage a mathematician. Since maths are a mystery to me, the entire thing is fascinating. The author is  Guillermo Martinez,  and is a native of Argentina. The Oxford Murders won a prize. Martinez lives in Buenos Aires and has a PhD in Mathematical Science.

It's a lovely read, and a good mystery!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #579 on: August 13, 2009, 11:02:53 AM »
Re: Oxford Murders -- I haven't started it, Ginny.  Bought it at a mystery bookstore in Greenwich village last September, when SN was in NY, and it sits on my shelf.  But that's okay because one day I'll be in the mood for just that, and there it will be.  Glad to hear you like it.

My f2f group is reading Nevada Barr's Winter Study for next month.  All about the wolf study on Isle Royale National Park.  A good story, makes me appreciate the comforts of home.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #580 on: August 13, 2009, 01:07:10 PM »
We just got the new Nevada Barr,Borderline .  It's only a 7-day book, so we'll both have to be quick. ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #581 on: August 13, 2009, 01:22:26 PM »
PEDLIN, MARYZ: just read "Winter Study". I liked it. I didn't know she had a new one out. Let us know in Mystery Corner what you think.

winsummm

« Reply #582 on: August 13, 2009, 03:14:02 PM »
there are so many finder books that i forget the title of the one i just finished . . . read in one day too. since i only read the kindle now because o my eyesight i have umpteen books to give away but don't want to bother with the mailing.  can't read small type and don't usually reread mysteries or sci-fi..  i follow a thread at amazon's free kindles which are just a lure, sample the writing and then if I like it start in on the series which is usually around six dollars a shot. kinda expensive for me but, hooha anyway i love my kkindle.
claire
thimk

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #583 on: August 13, 2009, 09:29:59 PM »
Claire...a local Library Friends of the Library might welcome your books for a book sale to make money for a Library or there might be a nursing home nearby who would welcome your books...or may a Half-Price Bookstore that will give you cash for your books.

jane

winsummm

« Reply #584 on: August 13, 2009, 10:29:27 PM »
just getting  the movement of all this stuff is beyond me. Currently it occupies five various small bookcases plus a wall of them.  the good art and nature books and some of the classics are worth keeping. the rest just taking up space. I read a whole book kindle-wise yesterdaiy and a half a one today. . .the riding lesson it's a cliche but well done. this much in itself is a complete novel the resolution of various themes and of course beautiful horses.  the teen theme, the dying parent theme, the hostile mother to older daughter theme, the love story theme and possibly a bit of skull dugery theme.  I think I like the joseph finder books better. not at all cliche.
thimk

Babi

« Reply #585 on: August 14, 2009, 08:43:59 AM »
 Claire, the social directors of your local nursing homes might well be happy
to come pick up some of your books if they were offered.  It would get them
out of your way for no more trouble than a phone call.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #586 on: August 14, 2009, 09:29:49 AM »
Relative to our book discussion of Frances Perkins, we are having a mini-town hall meeting on the subject of health care reform.  Perkins was responsible for many of the social programs we have today, e.g. Social Security, unemployment insurance, minimum wage, etc.

All good programs, but how far should the goverment go in interfering with the lives of its citizens?  Come tell us your opinion.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=587.msg32733#msg32733

Steph

« Reply #587 on: August 14, 2009, 09:59:48 AM »
Bas Bleu came yesterday. I was in the mood for different and ordered several of the books including one from a resident of Guernsey. He was around during wwII and I am anxious to get his take on it after the book discussion we had.  Could not Resist something called "The Heroines"  plus a few more. Ah.. I need more books like I need a second head.. Wait.. thats a good idea.. I could read more books that way.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #588 on: August 14, 2009, 10:38:38 AM »
Well, Steph, you are a treasure trove.  I'd never heard of Bas Bleu or The Heroines.  Found out my library has the latter and it is now on my list, to be checked out after I finish some of my other reading committments.

And Bas Bleu.  What fun.  After looking at all their fiction I requested their snail mail catalog (something I usually try not to do) and got on their email list.  So what is the title of the Guernsey book you ordered?  Ebeneezer Le Page?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #589 on: August 14, 2009, 10:55:32 AM »
Oh my gosh, Hugo Chavez has a Revolutionary Reading Plan, and is giving out thousands of free books!  Don Quijote and Les Miserables are on it?  Has anyone seen a complete list?

The books are promoted by books squadrons, who are denoted by their colors. For example, those wearing red promote autobiographies.

Book Squadrons

I actually came across that little tidbit while checking out Schott’s Vocabulary in the NY Times. Now that I know what an instead-man is, I want one.  “Please go down to the basement and deal with the laundry.”

Instead men

mrssherlock

« Reply #590 on: August 14, 2009, 11:21:54 AM »
All good programs, but how far should the goverment go in interfering with the lives of its citizens?

Ella:  Since my everyday living depends on a combination of my private income and my social security plus Medicare, I do not consider it "interference" with my life that people like Frances Perkins had the foresight and compassion to interfere in my life. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

mabel1015j

« Reply #591 on: August 14, 2009, 06:35:17 PM »
"Instead men" !?! Oh, Pedin, that's priceless! I'd start w/ a grocery shopper! I absolutely hate the big grocery stores that have taken over in my town shutting down the smaller ones. It takes me an extra half-hour to shop because the aisles are so long AND they keep moving things AROUND so i can't hop in and go directly to what i need, being sure that it will be in the same spot where i got it the last time..................

Authors have got to find other venues than the Charleston/SC Islands area........I just read THREE books by three different authors, all set in that section of the country. I know it's beautiful and probably fun to write about, but geez  ??? ??? we're a big country! Guess i have to go get some Nevada Barr or Janet Dailey books. I've read all the Evanovich NJ books .. ;D ;D.......jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #592 on: August 14, 2009, 09:08:28 PM »
I lucked our --- married a man who loved to grocery shop. He would even go to the store when we didn't need anything, just to look around. He used to say that "grocery shopping was the Jewish man's hobby".

Lucky indeed: I get in those big stores with all those Neon boxes filled with chemicals and sawdust shrieking "buy me, buy me", and I want to run away screaming.

Steph

« Reply #593 on: August 15, 2009, 09:34:21 AM »
Yes, the Bas Bleu book is Ebeneezer . Sounds great and maybe will give me a better picture of the Island. I loved the Guernsey book, but was puzzled by the Nazi invasion, etc.
I ended up with The Heroines,The Book of Ebenezer LePage. The Importance of Being Kennedy andService Included, Four Star Secrets of an Eavesdropping Waiter. I love books on professionals in the restaurant or cooking business.
I just finished My Life at Grey Gardens by Lois Wright. Who seems to have lived with The Beales for a year or so.. What a strange and sad way to live.. And the cats and the fleas. Oh me, I could never have done it.. But a number of people seemed to have been devoted to them.

mabel1015j

« Reply #594 on: August 15, 2009, 01:38:30 PM »
Joan - can you send him my way about once a month?  ;) ;)       that would be to New Jersey.............
I picked up a Barbara Taylor Bradford for some light reading - The Heir - set at the beginning of the 20th century in England - entertaining, but she does do a lot of description about every room and what every person is wearing. But since i'm just using it for entertainment, it's kind of interesting. I'm also reading North of MOntana, which some one on SL mentioned, also entertaining, but not compelling............jean

mrssherlock

« Reply #595 on: August 15, 2009, 03:49:39 PM »
I've been reflecting lately on what I read and why I read.  Maureen Corrigan's Leave Me Alone:  Finding and Losing Myself in Books prompted an attempt at a deeper analysis of the two Ws.  Add to that my belief in a mystical brother-and-sister-hood of English Majors wherein they are taught the rites which can extract the darkest secrets from, say, "The Wasteland".  Along came Sara Nelson's So Many Books So Little Time: A Year of Passionate Reading and I'm stil as much in the dark as I was before I started.  But there has to be a core truth about my reading selections.  Partly it is the lure of counting coup:  Another notch in my belt.  But if that is all why can't I devour just any old book?  No, it has to be something that promises me something new.  Ah well, more head scratching ahead.
Jackie

mabel1015j

« Reply #596 on: August 15, 2009, 07:27:28 PM »
You lead me to some thoughtful musings, Jackie. I recently decided not to just keep a list of the books i read, but to write a little about each and how i felt about it. ........ i haven't started that yet  ;), primarily because i have been stuck in the house w/ a sciatica attack and i intend to go to the store to get a spiral notebook in which to write those musings. But you add a question for me, "why did i read this book?"

Giving it some superficial tho't - for about a year i have been reading primarily books that are just easy, fun, entertaining, in contrast to my REAL life. My husband and i have both had some troublesome health problems over the last year and he is not a pleasant patient, so i've been looking for a "easy, fun,entertaining" life outside of my own. I have been wrapped up in the cozy mysteries, but i have also liked reading M.A. Monroe, who gives me interesting personal relationships to ponder. Historical fiction also takes me to a fantasy world, so i've read a few of those and i'm, at the moment, reading a Barbara Taylor Bradford book about a family in England at the beginning of the 20th century, which i mentioned earlier. Total fantasy for me - love it!  But i also love reading the non-fiction books that we discuss here on SL. Having others to discuss them w/ encourages me to get deep into them. And i led a discussion at our library about the 50's and 60's, so, of course, i read some books from that ear..............one of my favorite parts of teaching was in doing the research and i miss it terribly, so being involved in book discussions nourishes that need for me................jean

mrssherlock

« Reply #597 on: August 15, 2009, 08:26:27 PM »
Mabel:  You've hit on some of the reasons I find reading so seductive;  health problems, family problems, the state of the world, money problems.  Reading is escape into fantasy.  The nice thing about a good book is that there is resolution at the end.  My life, and I'm sure this is true for many others, just ambles along from one near-crisis to another with little definition between them.  Looking back over the past year I can say, Oh, yes, I remember how that irked me or stressed me.  Today it will be something else.  But in my books, oh, nicely tied up with a bow on top are all the  travails.  I'm glad you reached out to me to share your thoughts.  Now I will eagerly look for your name.

I read about her in Maureen Corrigan's book (above); Laurie Colwin was a writer who wrote about food and her book Home Cooking: A Winter in the Kitchen is a collection of her essays from Gourmet magazine.  Much like reading M F K Fisher's books, her life is mixed in with the ingredients and directions for some yummy sounding dishes.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55809-2003Jul1.html
Jackie

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #598 on: August 15, 2009, 09:14:24 PM »
We listened to the audio of "Winter Study" and found it quite good.  Will have to get another Nevada Barr  for when we travel.

If one likes archeaology, Egyptology, the late 1800's, you might enjoy Elizabeth Peters titles about Emily Peabody and her husband, Radcliffe Elliott.  In the first book, the couple aren't married yet but, of course, that's where it ends.  Here's the comment from our library on the first in this 18 book series, entitled "Crocodile on the Sandbank":
"Amelia Peabody, that indomitable product of the Victorian age, embarks on her first Egyptian adventure armed with unshakable self-confidence, a journal to record her thoughts, and, of course, a sturdy umbrella. On her way, Amelia rescues a young woman and helps her elude her rascally lover."

I find myself having a good time reading these books.  Peters also writes under the name, Barbara Michaels.  I  want to see what she includes under another name.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #599 on: August 15, 2009, 10:43:50 PM »
Annie,  I have read those Elizabeth Peters novels. I have also read many of the book under the Barbara Michaels name.  AT one time so into her books that I could hardly wait for a new one to come out.

I an experience the other day with discovering books by an author that I used to read all the time.  I went to the big main library in Birmingham to return a couple of Agatha Christie books that I had checked out to read when the Christie presentations were being done on PBS.  When I started out to the Library, I said to myself ,I am just going to drop these in the book return and not go into the library.  I do not need to check out any books because I have several read on my kindle and I have not finished "People of the Book.  So what did I do when I got to the library.  Of course I went inside and directly to the large print mystery section.  There the first book that caught my eye was a book by Evelyn Anthony.  She was on of my favorites years ago when I was into reading alot of Espionage novels, about WWII and the Cold War.  I had just assumed that she was no longer alive and not writing any longer.  How wrong I was.  She has written several books that I have not read and I checked out two of them before I left the library.  I am really looking forward to reading them.  I just hope that I like these books as much as I used to like her books.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship