Author Topic: Talking Heads - Healthcare Reform  (Read 101124 times)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Re: Talking Heads - Healthcare Reform
« Reply #440 on: October 21, 2009, 05:45:44 AM »
Talking Heads #6

"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

A two week  forum for opinions on anything in print: magazines, newspaper articles, online: bring your ideas and let's discuss.

Soooooo, on top of paying more than an Advantage plan member, I am subsidizing the Advantage plans.  Now, who's idea was that??  Very interesting article, Jackie.  
IMHO, some of the things offered by some of the Advantage plans, ie. dental, eyes and gym memberships might be subtracted from these plans.  Not all Advantage members use those benefits.  Well, my 84 yrs old SIL does go to the gym through her Advantage plan.  But she is probably 1 in a million who does use that benefit.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Steph

« Reply #441 on: October 21, 2009, 07:46:20 AM »
I think that in Florida, they are simply reacting to anything that changes their lives. Noone seems to be against the health plan for rational reason. Way too many senior citizens on the news protesting government health care.. They drive me nuts.. What the heck do they think medicare is??
Stephanie and assorted corgi

nlhome

« Reply #442 on: October 21, 2009, 08:34:30 AM »
Ado, Medicare Advantage was designed supposedly to give seniors a "choice" but the original Part C plans didn't succeed, so then they were revamped into "advantage" plans with the subsidy. Some can compete with Medicare, but the newer plans definitely need the subsidy. The insurance companies are the ones that benefit most, because they draw the younger and healthier into their plans - unfortunately those same people will get older and less healthy, and then even the subsidies won't help unless the members are encouraged to go elsewhere. If they can.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #443 on: October 21, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »
This a post that I read on Here&Now.  This is a decent common sense suggestion.

"Why don’t we ( the U.S. ) just start health care reform slowly and carefully. Extend Medicare as it is back to people who are 55, giving us a chance to adjust to the new numbers of people and figure out what “bugs” we have. When we have accomplished that (probably 24-30 months) then we can extend back to 45, and 35 and so on, back to the start. It should speed up as we learn.

It will be understandable to nearly everyone,and gradual enough to avoid congestion and crisis." Here&Now-08/14/2009
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

bellemere

« Reply #444 on: October 21, 2009, 04:48:24 PM »
It does sound sensible until we remember how bitterly Medicare was opposed when it was passed.  that would happen again at every attempt to extend it.  But your point is well taken, that we of a certain age wont benefite financially from the current Health reform effort.  I hope it will result in better care and even out the inequities between different parts of the country.

nlhome

« Reply #445 on: October 21, 2009, 08:21:13 PM »
The uninsured are all ages. What do we tell the younger ones who cannot get insurance or who can afford it? Wait until you're 55? Right now I feel sad everytime I hear someone say they cannot wait until they are 65 so they can get Medicare. I hate that people have to wish their lives away in order to feel secure. This can be done, but politics and insurance companies have to take the back seat. That won't get done if everyone has to be pleased.

Babi

« Reply #446 on: October 22, 2009, 08:13:48 AM »
 Take a look at the way Grainger Hospital is handling the cost problem. The article is from this month's Time Magazine.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1930501,00.html
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #447 on: October 22, 2009, 08:45:38 AM »
Yes, read the Grainger Hospital article. Very interesting approach.

bellemere

« Reply #448 on: October 25, 2009, 01:37:46 PM »
So now every insurance company with a Medicare
Advantage plan is going all out to recruit new members.  Presentations in hotel conference rooms all over the county.  the booklet: Medicare and You for Massachusetts includes a cosely typed chart extending over 12 pages for us to compare.  Hello?  If i'm having trouble what about people who are truly impaired ins some way trying to figure out the best deal.  I am calling for an appointment with the SHINE counselor this week; I wonder if even he can navigate this maze/
It looks like to me that myplan is anticipating reduced rembursement from Medicare for next year, and is trying to stay ahead of the reduction.  But to go from 109 to 144 for a monthly premium?  same coverage, no new benefits.  Outrageous.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #449 on: October 25, 2009, 02:21:23 PM »
My gosh, Bellemere, it sounds like you do need some help. Too many choices!!
NLHome
After reading the lady's ideas about pushing the Medicare onto those 55 and older to begin with, I think the way to rush the most needy to the feeding trough would be to offer those of the poorest another type of insurance.  Maybe a deductible before it kicks in or a public option type of insurance.  We will always have to pay for the poor and it can be divided among (those who make over a certain amount ($300,000?) a year.

Steph

« Reply #450 on: October 26, 2009, 08:01:12 AM »
Have not gotten our new numbers on our medigap yet. All of our Advantage programs locally , you must use their list of doctors. Since I like my doctor very much and she does not like groups, I will stick with the medigap.

Babi

« Reply #451 on: October 26, 2009, 08:57:28 AM »
  I don't know, BELLE.  My Advantage plan is raising the costs of
everything. And one of my meds is being moved into a higher cost bracket, ..about six times higher. Fortunately, it was only $5. to begin with.
 I considered switching plans, but I don't want to lose my doctors. That
particular family of physicians has been caring for me and my family for
the last 40 years, except for a hiatus when they dropped out of the network. I'll put up with a good deal to stay with them.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

bellemere

« Reply #452 on: October 26, 2009, 09:44:06 AM »
Yes, Babi, it is important to me to keep my primary care doctor. However, he willprobably retire sometime soon to enjoy his hobby of collecting rare books!  By coincidence, he has a son in medical school;I wonder when he will be starting in practice and if he has his father's dedication.

Babi

« Reply #453 on: October 27, 2009, 08:07:27 AM »
  Your doctor's son will have the latest traiing, BELLE, and hopefully will
have his Father's dedication.  Still,  experience is something  that only
comes with time. 

Steph

« Reply #454 on: October 27, 2009, 08:38:04 AM »
I had to laugh. Thus far in life in the last 20 years, I have been through one Primary physician, one dentist and one dermo.. They all died and were all roughly my age. Now a second dentist has retired and my primary again is my age.. Hmm. As we age this gets to be  a problem.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #455 on: October 27, 2009, 09:34:17 AM »
We started with a young primary doc about 20 years ago when he first opened his practice.  We loved him, but then the stinker decided to go out of private practice and work only in the clinic for city employees.  John really chewed him out - told him that we had assumed he would take care of us the rest of our lives - and that he would outlive us.  It was  a hard decision for him.  We stayed with another doctor in the practice (a young woman) so we wouldn't have to start all over again. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mrssherlock

« Reply #456 on: October 27, 2009, 10:17:30 AM »
I finally got my new numbers.  My Medicare Advantage Plus has increased 45% over last year.  Slighr5 changes in coverage are not enought to make up the difference but what can I do?  The local Senior Center is offering appointments for consultation on your medicare options.  That is a resource that may be available near you. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #457 on: October 28, 2009, 07:46:15 AM »
How can they possibly justify 45% in a year. The insurance companies are just trying to get their raises before health care is passed.. They should be ashamed. This is getting outrageous.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #458 on: October 28, 2009, 09:05:40 AM »
I guess I would have to laugh,too.  In the past six years, our family doctor,  pulmonologist and cardiologist have closed their practices or moved to a different hospital.  Are they running from us??  We were able to still see the cardiologist, thank God and have found replacements for the other whom we feel comfortable with.
I think that I am going to call Aetna who carry our supplemental insurance for my husband's last employer and see why we would have to be accepted in their Advantage/Choice plan when its the plan that Ralph's old employer is offering to all their retirees.  That makes quite a difference in our monthly cost.  About $200 and that's a lot.  Oh, and they have changed from Caremark to Medco for Rx's.  I have not heard of Medco; has anyone here heard of them?  

Babi

« Reply #459 on: October 28, 2009, 09:29:13 AM »
 I didn't know any insurer required you to use a particular pharmacy, ANNIE.  My provider has a formulary of the meds they will pay for, but
I can go wherever I like to get the prescriptions filled. I've never heard
of Caremark or Medco; I go to WalMart Pharmacy, by choice.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #460 on: October 28, 2009, 09:34:20 AM »
Sorry, Babi, I meant to say also, that these two are mail away pharmacies.  Other than that we can go to any local pharmacy, too.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #461 on: October 28, 2009, 12:50:04 PM »
AdoAnnie, John's retirement plan uses Medco for prescriptions, and we've been satisfied with them.  Costs, of course, depend on your particular plan, but the service from Medco has worked well.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #462 on: October 28, 2009, 08:25:47 PM »
Thanks, Maryz, you have relieved my worry buttons.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #463 on: October 28, 2009, 10:37:09 PM »
 ;D

Steph

« Reply #464 on: October 29, 2009, 08:05:03 AM »
Our mail in is: Prescription Solutions. I like them, but h ate the call in feature. Use the on line instead.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #465 on: October 29, 2009, 09:25:20 AM »
Ado, I always renew my Rx at the online site.  When an Rx runs out of refills, I still order online, and Medco contacts the doc's office for approval.  I don't have to do anything else.  I get prescriptions from three doctors, and all of them are very good about responding to Medco.  I rarely have to do anything but click a few times on their web site.

If I have any complaint at all, it's that they send me an e-mail to let me know when an Rx is available for renewal, but they will only identify it by Rx number - not by the name of the medicine (those @#$$% privacy things).  I can never find the number on the bottle, so the e-mails are worthless to me.  I just delete them.  And when I get down to about 2 weeks left on my 90-day supply, I go online and reorder.  If the prescription doesn't need to be okayed by the doctor, I usually get the pills within a week.  I have it all charged to one particular credit card that I don't use for anything else - and they do that automatically.

bellemere

« Reply #466 on: October 29, 2009, 10:06:52 AM »
Yes, mail in prescription services are great, especially for us in harsh winter climates or those anticipating giving up driving because of vision problems.  Now if someone would just mail me my food (and occasional bottle of Cabernet)  I woud be all set.
does anyone download books from iTunes?  Do you have to have an Apple product, like an iPod to do that?  Or can you download regualr audiobooks into an iPod?  and is there a required conneciton speed to download books?  I am getting tech=y I know.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #467 on: October 29, 2009, 11:06:46 AM »
I have four MACs and we can download from ITunes plus a couple other site.  I download to my computer as I don't own an IPOD.  When we disucussed "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" I downloaded the book and listened to the book being read by an actor who did all the voices.  It was like going to a play. I might have the website that has some older books and its free!!  
Yes, its LIBRIVOX!  Here's link:
http://www.archive.org/details/edwin_drood_0901_librivox

Steph

« Reply #468 on: October 30, 2009, 07:48:43 AM »
I l ove my cassette player and buy used audio books on the time. Use them in the gym,, on my daily walk, etc.. Sometimes I can pursuade my husband to listen to one as we go places in the rv..

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #469 on: October 30, 2009, 09:42:50 AM »
We started listening to audiobooks on tape when traveling 15 yrs ago and now we are up to books on CD's from the library.  I use them other places, like when I'm walking, exercising or for centering me when I go to sleep.  Better than any pill that I know of! 

Babi

« Reply #470 on: October 31, 2009, 08:25:09 AM »
Do you think we are ready to leave this topic?  We seem to be drifting away from it anyway.

Steph

« Reply #471 on: October 31, 2009, 09:25:57 AM »
I think that until congress gets off their duff and does something, we have discussed it to death. Hopefully they will soon vote.. Such chickens..

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #472 on: October 31, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
Babi, I think we've about worn it out.  Certainly the Congress has.

nlhome

« Reply #473 on: October 31, 2009, 09:39:57 AM »
I think the fuss of it all wore us out. But it will remain a relevant topic, whether or not we discuss it actively. There are more specific bills now in Congress. We older folks do need to pay attention, not so much for ourselves but for our children and grandchildren. We do hold a large percentage of votes.

mrssherlock

« Reply #474 on: October 31, 2009, 02:50:35 PM »
Before we move on I'd like to know if anyone has AARP medicare Advantage insurance?  Since my present policy costs so much more I'm looking around.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #475 on: November 01, 2009, 09:46:19 AM »
Y  es, MDH and I have AARP.. It is a United plan.. Excellent. We love it.. your own choice of doctors, etc. That is important to us with his skin cancer..I also use their prescription plan and like it as well, but I use generics..

nlhome

« Reply #476 on: November 01, 2009, 01:20:03 PM »
There is a difference between the AARP medicare supplement insurance  and the AARP Medicare Advantage plans. At least where I live, it's absolutely vital to check with your providers to see if they will accept the Advantage plan. (Medicare Advantage is actually Medicare A & B, NOT a supplement.)

bellemere

« Reply #477 on: November 01, 2009, 02:37:28 PM »
With the recenly annonced raises in premiums, the private insurance companies have given the not holding down costs and couldn't if they tried.
O yes, we have certainly discussed this a lot.  But the  bill we will see pnassed hasn
t yet taken final form.  Until it does, let
s suspend it at have a Talking heads about maybe something else? 

winsummm

« Reply #478 on: November 01, 2009, 03:28:57 PM »
I have secure horizens which is an advantage plan. I'm not sure what that means but at five dollars for most of my regular drugs and ten dollars co-payments for doctor visits and free lab work, I'm content.

claire
thimk

mrssherlock

« Reply #479 on: November 01, 2009, 03:35:32 PM »
I like my coverage just fine but the increase of 45% is ominous.  Has anyone else seen their premium cost increase?
Jackie