Author Topic: Talking Heads - Healthcare Reform  (Read 101136 times)

nlhome

Re: Talking Heads - Healthcare Reform
« Reply #480 on: November 01, 2009, 05:52:09 PM »
Talking Heads #6

"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

A two week  forum for opinions on anything in print: magazines, newspaper articles, online: bring your ideas and let's discuss.

winsumm, the concern in advantage plans would be the co-pays for some of the more expensive things, like therapies or hospital, Part B drugs, oxygen, etc. But remember to read your notice of change for any changes for 2010, also, because the plans can change co-pays, premiums and even covered drugs every year.

winsummm

« Reply #481 on: November 01, 2009, 11:20:14 PM »
I can't figure it out but in the end I believe in medicare for everyone.  why not???

and as for micromanaging it. . .not my pay grade.

claire
thimk

Steph

« Reply #482 on: November 02, 2009, 08:03:30 AM »
I dont pretend to understand the Advantage program or why it was adopted. Seems to me it is bound to just increase over and over..I would rather take the regular medicare and then get the medigap coverage. At least that has worked for us.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #483 on: November 03, 2009, 09:54:42 AM »
I guess we need to sit back and wait for the axe to fall and just hope its okay. Needless to say, I have very little confidence in Congress.
Here's an old email to think about.

Let me get this straight.
.....we're going to pass a health care plan written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that hasn't read it but exempts themselves from it,to be signed by a president that also hasn't read it and who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese,  and financed by a country that's nearly broke. What could possibly go wrong?

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

mrssherlock

« Reply #484 on: November 03, 2009, 11:45:38 AM »
Very clever propaganda; sounds as if it written by one of those spin doctors who delight in torpedoing anything that's proposed by the other party instead of working to make it better.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #485 on: November 04, 2009, 08:10:10 AM »
ANNIE, I had to copy that old post and e-mail it to my son. He'll love it.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #486 on: November 04, 2009, 08:32:11 AM »
To each his own, Jackie.  I looked this up on Snopes but they don't mention it. 
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Steph

« Reply #487 on: November 04, 2009, 08:45:08 AM »
Ah,, actually I believe that almost every law that congress ever passes is not read by them. At best it would be their staff.. It would be wonderful if legislators actually knew what they are doing, but I dont think that is going to happen. Just think of the tax laws and how they get twisted. The minute they pass the health bill, the lawyers will  start looking for the loopholes especially the litigators..

mrssherlock

« Reply #488 on: November 04, 2009, 10:05:10 AM »
Annie:  I meant that attacking an idea by finding the most egregious description strikes me as negative  and divisive, designed to  dumb down the discussion.  Definition of propaganda: 
information that is designed to mislead or persuade
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #489 on: November 04, 2009, 02:33:55 PM »
Hey Babi,
Hope your son enjoyed it.  Propaganda or not, it works for me. ;)

winsummm

« Reply #490 on: November 04, 2009, 02:41:55 PM »
medicare advantage.  my hmo seems to have it and schedules me for checkup ever three months with a though going one incluidng tests once a year. costs me ten co payment each time and labs are free.
some things work out pretty well. I still have not returned the stool collection kit though. I forget how to use it each time and have to read the directions. yuck.

claire
thimk

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #491 on: November 04, 2009, 08:43:05 PM »
Winsumm,
Sounds like you have a pretty good policy.  How does it work with Rx's?

winsummm

« Reply #492 on: November 04, 2009, 09:08:16 PM »
my prescrips are old stuff and all but one are five dollars or even less. the other one is 20.88  reduced from thirty something. I have them delivered for three dollras because of my immobility so that area is good.  New style drugs give me bad side effects so I don't have anything expensive to begin with. I use all generics.
generics of halcion, tylonal codeine, thyroid, valium.  vitamines,  over the counter stuff like lanacan for iches etc.  As long as I don't require anything more complicated I'm fie.  Chemotherapy is super expensive as is the pain killer associated with it.  it's best to be semi healthy with  only aging problems, aches and pains etc. I try to keep the paiinkillers down with the chiropractor but that is thirty  one a visit and should be at least four a month . . .most of the time.

claire
thimk

Steph

« Reply #493 on: November 05, 2009, 08:16:58 AM »
I agree that generics are helpful for me as well. I take verapamil and lisinopril for Blood pressure. Both are old, but work well and the newer ones tend to have side affects for me. I also was delighted when Fosamax ended up with a generic.. Hooray. However my husband has problems with chloresterol drugs and takes one that costs the earth, but his liver enzymes get out of wack with most of the drugs.. I have a good friend with Parkinsons.. She is in the donut hole and her drugs are running over 600.00 a month. Now her husband is quite ill and they are testing him with all sorts of things and his drugs are sky high. Get sick when you are older and life gets complicated.

Babi

« Reply #494 on: November 05, 2009, 08:18:46 AM »
 With all the laws constantly under consideration, I don't think anyone
could possibly read them all, much less study them carefully. That is what a congressman's staff is for.  They study the proposed legislation and give their employer a synopsis of the key points.  The ones that will get the Senator/Rep.'s close attention will be those that most concern
them.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #495 on: November 05, 2009, 10:29:16 AM »
On the one hand it is appalling that they pass laws without reading them.  On the other hand they would have time for nothing else if they read everything that came before them.
Jackie

winsummm

« Reply #496 on: November 05, 2009, 12:03:26 PM »
nnnnn
thimk

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #497 on: November 05, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »
You don't think that the congressmen/women should be reading these giant tomes??
My gosh, and what they get in a nutshell is probably filtered by their staffs??

These men and women that we elect only work 3 days a week and if they care, they should be reading a condensed version. I believe that there are companies out there that would condense those long pages into something that a congressman/woman could understand.  And at least they would have a bird's eye view of what they are getting ready to vote on.

And another thing, I am getting so tired of the speed readers using their fingers to read through the bills and then we never hear what  was in those bills.  Phooooey!! ;)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #498 on: November 06, 2009, 08:18:12 AM »
This what AARP sent me today, although I cancelled my subscription and told them why months ago.

H.R. 3962 is not a perfect bill, but many of its provisions go a long way toward improving the life and health of older Americans and their families, such as:

- Ensuring seniors' access to doctors so they can see the doctor of their choice or find a doctor if they need one;
- Preventing insurance companies from denying affordable coverage to anyone because of their health or their age;
- Saving seniors from having to pay thousands in out-of-pocket costs for their prescription drugs by closing the Medicare Part D coverage gap, or "doughnut hole"; and
- Ensuring that people who already have coverage through their employers, including retirees, don't lose that coverage.

This definitely has a positive connotation to it.  Did anyone agree with the conservatives who were en masse in DC yesterday??  I just want the Congress to slow down and not push this through tomorrow.  And, since its our country's healthcare reform plan, shouldn't we be asked our opinion of the final bill.  That would require that we read it,too.  :)

bellemere

« Reply #499 on: November 06, 2009, 02:20:53 PM »
Did everyone notice the full moon the past couple of nights?  One group of mostly Medicare recipients storming
Washington screaming "No government health care" and an opposing group actually trashing Senator Leberman's office, certainly a great way to get the Senator's vote.  (those in the latter group got themselves arrested;  None of the others could be charged with anything except being loud.)

Steph

« Reply #500 on: November 06, 2009, 02:55:39 PM »
I used to like Leiberman, but I have no respect for him anymore. He is in it for whatever he can get. I find his dispicable and would not vote for him if I lived in that state.  I also was not happy with Facebook, who let Sarah Palin take over one of the groups with her self publicity. Dropped the group immediately

bellemere

« Reply #501 on: November 06, 2009, 08:38:45 PM »
To people who want the whole healthe care reform effort to "slow down" , how much longer should we prolong the suffering of 40 million people going without health care because they can't get insurance?  A year?  Two or three?  How about five or ten or forever?  How long would you go without health insurance if you were one of them? It really is a case of 'if not now, when?"
The question is asked, " is it fair to make young people pay for the health care of older people?" by mandating that they buy health insurance?  they are not just taking care of "old people", they are taking care of themselves, too, in a responsible way, rather than making the rest of us pay their emergency room bills through our health insurance premiums.
  Generations do have mutual obligations in a civilized society:  Don
t we of the older generation have a moral obligation to pay for the education of young people, through our taxes supporting schools and universities?
Months and months and years and years have gone into studies of possible reform; this is what has emerged.  Let's see if the country will turn its back on the people who are so badly deprived.     

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #502 on: November 07, 2009, 02:20:01 AM »
They began talking about health care programs in the 1930s. Hardly think we need any more time to think it over.  I am a retired Federal employee and have the same health care package as those in Congress.  My premiums just went up $25 a month.  But at least I do have good health insurance.

I live in an underserved area in the West.  Most of our doctors will not take Medicare patients let alone anyone on Medicade.  We have some people layed off from their jobs.  What on earth they do for health care I don't know.

It is sad when there is such a need that so many are trying to sabotage reform.  It seems that many believe that it is every man for himself.

bellemere

« Reply #503 on: November 07, 2009, 08:00:24 AM »
Ironic that Obama was elected on a platform of change.  Everybody hates change. but what did they think he was going to change, the draperies in the Lincoln bedroom?   
Now change is happening and it is uncomfortable for us.  We don't know for certain what the future will bring to our health care system.  We do know that the present system is a road to disaster, with more and more  of our gross national productivity going into our health care.  the trend of upward costs has never wavered in my memory; I can't imagine what the percentage of a family's income will go for health care in the next generation if the trend isn't stopped and reversed.  Half?  or more? 
We would like absolute certainty in our lives; unfortunately this is an imperfect world, so we are not going to get it.  I hope this measure passes, followed by some kind of reconciliation of the adversaries so we can move forward and confront the truly terrible problems like Afghanistan. There
s one formidable challenge for those wanting certainty in the future. 

Babi

« Reply #504 on: November 07, 2009, 08:36:43 AM »

It seems that many believe that it is every man for himself.

I agree, KIDSAL. It does seem that many people would rather see masses of people doing without rather than give up one iota of what they have. It's distressing.
  Well, a vote is scheduled for today on one version of the bill. We'll
see how it goes.  Really, haven't you noticed in your lifetime that as
much as people are uncomfortable with change, when it does occur
they do manage to adjust?

Steph

« Reply #505 on: November 07, 2009, 09:27:13 AM »
I agree. Many people seem resistant to change and predict dire things. But then once the change occurs,, none of the things are what really happens. We need to care for everyone. Not just the people who are comfortable.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #506 on: November 07, 2009, 06:32:41 PM »
I am not against change when there is careful thought given to the consequences of the offered solutions.   But when the people in charge begin to threaten the folks who are having trouble deciding on which way to go, it would seem to me that the pros could relax and give the cons some time.
No, it doesn't have to be years but it does need to be a few days or weeks for this particular bill.  One of the things that they are trying to decide on are our Medicare benefits which are so helpful for the disabled and the seniors.  And, the Medicaid state programs which are so helpful to the poor including young families with children.  
I have family who have benefited from Medicare and from Medicaid.  To cut their benefits would be a crime.
Link to Ohio Medicaid benefits:   http://jfs.ohio.gov/Ohp/consumers/whoqualifies.stm

Delaware Medicaid benefits:  http://www.workworld.org/wwwebhelp/de_medicaid_overview.htm

New York Medicaid benefits:  http://www.hrsa.gov/reimbursement/states/New-York-Eligibility.htm

Indiana Medicaid benefits:     http://www.statehealthfacts.kff.org/profileind.jsp?sub=54&rgn=16&cat=4

I have had experience with all four states and wouldn't want them to change anything without careful considerations.  

We don't need to rush this.  We all would like a decision but with bipartisan consideration.  

nlhome

« Reply #507 on: November 07, 2009, 08:46:13 PM »
There will be no "bipartisan" plan. The Republicans have put up roadblocks all the way.

And Medicaid and Medicare will deteriorate, not because of reform, but because reform is not enacted. There is no way they can be sustained unless the whole system is reformed.

The President wasted valuablel time by trying to get bipartisan support - what he should have done was got the support of the American people, and the politicians would have had to go along. But he played politics, and what we have now is a disturbing, confusing couple of bills that don't address the real problems of high cost and exclusion of too many people from the system.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #508 on: November 07, 2009, 09:29:41 PM »
nlhome,  sad to say but you are probably right.  I used to be interested in the "single payer" plan but am not too sure if that is the way to go anymore.  What do you think about it??

As I said earlier this week, some of the bill before the House sounds good but why are they insisting on rushing into this decision?   This bill is 1990 pages long.  The Constitution only took 6 pages.

Cspan.com or .org, has the whole 1990 pages in auditory form should anyone want to listen to it.  Last week,  I heard a reading of just a small part of the Medicare bill when it was presented and was just bowled over at how difficult it was to understand.

Babi

« Reply #509 on: November 08, 2009, 08:13:59 AM »
The Constitution only took 6 pages, ANNIE, but look at the more than
two centuries of laws and amendments it has taken to interpret, sustain and enforce it!

Steph

« Reply #510 on: November 08, 2009, 09:49:59 AM »
The Constitution also had to start amendments right away.. But the House did vote.. Hooray for that. Now the chicken Senate needs to stop diddling and vote.

nlhome

« Reply #511 on: November 08, 2009, 07:22:13 PM »
AdoAnnie, I think the only way we can truly reform the system is to move to a single payer system. There are a number of such systems around the world that we could use to build one that would suit us.

In the meantime, we already have a "public option" that could easily be opened up - Medicare. It was originally designed with the idea that first the elderly, then children, then the rest of the country would have Medicare. But Congress lost the will to do it. Makes sense to me that we could have it has the public option, and if private insurance companies could do better, great. However, since the Medicare Advantage plans need an average subsidy of 13% above the cost of traditional Medicare in order to "compete," I wonder....

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #512 on: November 09, 2009, 06:03:58 AM »
nlhome,
I was not aware of how Medicare was supposed to end up a single payer.  That was a surprise.  When I was interested, I was interested through the WI senator who proposed one but haven't been to his website lately to see what he intends to do. 

Steph

« Reply #513 on: November 09, 2009, 07:45:51 AM »
Medicare.. Did not know that originally it was meant to be expanded. Makes sense though. That way you can add in private coverage like Medigap and still have everyone basically covered.

bellemere

« Reply #514 on: November 10, 2009, 10:25:44 AM »
Cuts in Medicare and Medicaid sound really scary.  I suppose doctors can refuse to take medicare and Medicaid patients at lower rates.  But with the demographics of an increasing elderly population, and the economics of an increasing proportion of poor peopl as the income gap widens, just who are they going to have left to serve?  The inconvenient truth is that doctors and hospitals are going to have to make less money. . It's up to them to come up with innovative ways of providing care that save money and improve outcomes for patients.  I firmly believe they can do it, if they put their minds to it.  Examples are the Mayo and Cleveland clinics. 
Just look at all the other problems this administration must face: the wars, the unemployment, the envionmental dangers.  I just hope the president will do more leading and less following in future.

nlhome

« Reply #515 on: November 10, 2009, 06:47:48 PM »
Bellemere, I'm with you ("I just hope the president will do more leading and less following in future.")

Steph

« Reply #516 on: November 11, 2009, 07:44:37 AM »
Kind of sad, he truly wants to believe in consensus and it just isnt going to happen. The political parties do not want to play nicely.. and thats that.

Babi

« Reply #517 on: November 11, 2009, 08:47:24 AM »
 For better or for worse, Obama does strive for a 'higher ground'.  I can
only admire that and wish him well.  Any gains he makes in that direction can only be for the better.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #518 on: November 11, 2009, 11:39:10 AM »
Lest we forget:http://www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/taps.html

We are getting ready to attend the Vets Day celebration at the elementary school where two of our grandchildren attend.  They have added a new feature, coffee and donuts before the ceremonies. Ralph didn't expect to be here this day so its a double celebration for him.  He's a Vet and he's alive!!  Thanks to many prayers from all of you and a heart pump.  Wow!!

bellemere

« Reply #519 on: November 14, 2009, 08:06:41 PM »
Must have been a very happy Veterans' Day for Ralph.  PBS carried an note that last year , 2200 veterans died because they had no access to health care.
what happens to disabed vets once they are discharged from the service? They can get Medicare and Medicaid?  Apparently there is no lifetime Veterns' health program. 
Somehow I thought there was.