Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 878420 times)

Babi

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #1400 on: October 03, 2010, 09:22:34 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

I did a quick check of my library catalog, but couldn't find any of the Australian writers. Too new on the scene, perhaps.
  I added the SciFan link to my favorites.  I can see where it would have been a help to me in
avoiding past mix-ups.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

salan

« Reply #1401 on: October 03, 2010, 06:39:14 PM »
If I am reading  s series, I always try to start with the first.  I kind of like growing with the characters.  I am now reading Open Season by Box.  I've never read any of his; but decided to give it a try after reading some posts about his series.  So far, so good....
Sally

mrssherlock

« Reply #1402 on: October 03, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »
The Old Buzzard Had it Coming, by Donis Casey, looks in on an Oklahoma family of 8 and the trouble that ensues when their drunken and abusive neighbor is found dead in the snow.  Alafair Tucker, Mom, juggles family responsibilities (can you imagine cooking for 8 three times a day or washing by hand the clothes and bed linens for that same 8?)  When the oldest boy of the dead man disappears it seems certain that he is guilty of patricide.  Alafair sees that her daughter Phoebe, is smitten with the boy and she begins to question everybody, finding contradictions which cast doubt on the Sheriff's conclusions.  Thus one is choice; Alafair is a neighbor I wish I had.  She's some woman!  My appetite was aroused for more of her adventures but my library has book 2 only electronically, meaning I must get an MP3 player to download it.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/donis-casey/
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #1403 on: October 04, 2010, 05:52:56 AM »
Jackie, sounds neat.. Will look for it.
The Bloodhound series holds up.. She is a bit too in your face to read them all at once, but mostly I understand her. Love the stories of the training and dogs.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #1404 on: October 04, 2010, 09:30:24 AM »
JACKIE, I think that's why clothes and bed linens weren't changed as often back in the hand-washing days.  ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #1405 on: October 04, 2010, 01:25:16 PM »
Alafair hired a neighbor to help with the washing.  Twenty-five cents for what seems like an all day job yet they finished hanging the wet things and had time to fix a big dinner from scratch.  Supper, at night, would be leftovers plus biscuits, canned veggies, pie made from canned fruit, likely fried potatoes and fried ham slices to round it out.  It is daunting to read ow much physical labor it took to care for the family and the farm.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1406 on: October 04, 2010, 01:49:40 PM »
I remember my mother ironing sheets in the days of the wringer washer (used to love helping put the clothes through the wringer).

Just finished another Wallender mystery The Smiling Face.  Interesting.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1407 on: October 04, 2010, 02:48:43 PM »
Alafair sounds great! Now to see if my library has it.

Justread two Henning Mankell's: "The Man Who Smiled" and "The Fifth Woman", in preparation for the Wallendar series omn PBS. But my station has changed "Masterpiece Mystery" from Sunday to Thursday, so I won't see the first one til then.

ursamajor

« Reply #1408 on: October 04, 2010, 03:45:46 PM »
I hung a couple of old muslin sheets on the line today.  I had forgotten how heavy they are!  We forget how easy housework is today even compared with what it was when we were young.  One of the sheets has fancy embroidery and was in my hope chest.  I've been married 58 years.  The sheets absolutely require ironing, but I will just fold them up and take them to Goodwill.  Maybe someone else wants antiques.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1409 on: October 04, 2010, 09:14:51 PM »
Oh, my goodness, they are heavy, but they don't make sheets like that any more. I still use some of the store-boughten ones I bought when I was married, 55 years ago.

Steph

« Reply #1410 on: October 05, 2010, 06:12:49 AM »
Oh me, I do remember those sheets.. My bridal shower supplied me with lots of sheets, towels, etc.. My only contribution now since I no longer have a double bed, just queens, singles and kings.. is that I still iron pillow cases.. Just seems to make for nicer sleeping.. Silly but true. Thank heaven, I dont however hang these outside any more, but I do have friends who love to at certain times of year.. Mostly sheets and rugs..

Babi

« Reply #1411 on: October 05, 2010, 09:07:52 AM »
 Oh, yes.  I'm a little leery of putting small rugs in the dryer, so they go over the porch rail to
dry.  I also have one of those collapsible drying racks to use in bad weather, when I've something too large and heavy for the dryer.  I set it up in the bathtub, where any drips will
do no harm.  It's just about time to wash and put away my summer quilt and get out the heavier
winter comforter.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1412 on: October 05, 2010, 02:15:10 PM »
We have a clothes line in the garage where I hang silk things and the rubber backed bathroom rugs.  They last much longer that way.

Babi

« Reply #1413 on: October 06, 2010, 09:03:05 AM »
How did we get on this subject?  We can find the oddest things to talk about...and thoroughly
enjoy doing it, too.   ;)

marjifay

« Reply #1414 on: October 06, 2010, 11:53:01 AM »
Babi said, "How did we get on this subject?  We can find the oddest things to talk about...and thoroughly
enjoy doing it, too."

It's a mystery to me, Babi. 

Marj 
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1415 on: October 06, 2010, 02:47:03 PM »
One of the mysteries of life: we always find something to talk about!

Phyll

« Reply #1416 on: October 06, 2010, 02:54:03 PM »
I think my husband might say that one of the mysteries of life is how we always find something to talk about.   :D
phyllis

Steph

« Reply #1417 on: October 07, 2010, 06:16:12 AM »
Ah, but now you are speaking of the joys of seniorlearn and the old seniornet.. We go on and on and after a bit , we form mental pictures of all of the posters and feel as if we are all together in a cozy library sipping various liquids and laughing..

Babi

« Reply #1418 on: October 07, 2010, 08:24:43 AM »
 Make mine cocoa, please, STEPH.   ;D

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1419 on: October 07, 2010, 03:31:18 PM »
Cocoa coming up. Do you want hazelnut, vanilla, or plain?

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1420 on: October 07, 2010, 05:00:08 PM »
I'll take a caramel latte with whip cream and caramel drizzles on top.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1421 on: October 07, 2010, 05:33:17 PM »
OMG Jean, that sounds sinful, but DELISH!  And cocoa is perfect for today, sunny and beautiful, but a chilly breeze. I think I'll have to get out my winter jacket to wear to my son's football game tomorrow night - he's the coach, not the player.......

I remember the wonderful smell of sheets and pillowcases that had dried outdoors, and I also remember sheets that were frozen stiff and couldn't be folded to fit in the basket! One of those exoeriences our grandchildren will never have.........Jean

mrssherlock

« Reply #1422 on: October 07, 2010, 10:29:46 PM »
Flajean:  I'll have one, too.  Mabel, I've got my flannel sleep pants and my thermal top on right now.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #1423 on: October 08, 2010, 06:05:38 AM »
 Hmm, I think Baileys would suit me today.. Not cold here. A bit cool for us at night,which is neat.. 60 is just perfect at night with low low humidity..Ah this is Floridas glory days..

Babi

« Reply #1424 on: October 08, 2010, 09:32:09 AM »
 I haven't tried Hazelnut;  sounds good.

I just started my first 'Jane Whitefield' book and I'm really getting into it.  Thanks to whomever
mentioned it here.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1425 on: October 08, 2010, 01:52:27 PM »
Am reading another Walllender mystery Before the FRost by Henning Mankell.  However, this one is more about his daughter, Linda, as she joins the Ystad police department after just graduating from the police academy.  It's very good.

Steph

« Reply #1426 on: October 09, 2010, 06:14:33 AM »
Ah Thomas Perry and Jane Whitefield.. A lovely lovely series, but he also has stand alones that are wonderful. A favorite author for me.

Babi

« Reply #1427 on: October 09, 2010, 09:41:08 AM »
 It look like I'm going to be reading more of his, STEPH.  The Indian background history is fascinating.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1428 on: October 09, 2010, 10:21:42 PM »
I can't remember who suggested the Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries but thank you anyway.  I downloaded the only three she has written so far to my iPad thru my Kindle app and have enjoyed them.  They are a nice change from the police procedurals I've been reading.  I enjoy those also but like a cozy in between.  I didn't think I would like using the iPad for reading books, but I find it much better than reading some of the paperbacks (some of them are printed so close to the margins that they are difficult to read).

Steph

« Reply #1429 on: October 10, 2010, 06:52:13 AM »
Yes, the IPAD is easier to read in some instances.. I love the games as well and reading the New York Times, editors cut every day..

jeriron

« Reply #1430 on: October 10, 2010, 09:22:40 AM »
FLAJEAN

I recommended the Raine Stockton dog mysteries by Donna Ball. I'm glad you like them.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1431 on: October 10, 2010, 09:47:55 AM »
Jeriron, then I must thank you.  I sure hope Ball continues this series.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1432 on: October 10, 2010, 10:13:16 PM »
Are we still talking about sheets?    :P

While at my voluntary Library Concierge duty this afternoon I pulled a very intriguing title off the shelf to help pass the time -- Life's Too Short to Fold Fitted Sheets.

Basically -- a let up and live a bit, nobody's perfect type of book written by a former Martha Stewart fan.  No longer.  But she did offer advice for getting ink stains off the sofa -- rubbing alcohol.  But nobody spills ink anymore because there isn't any ink to spill.

As for the sheets -- don't try to fold them, just wad them up and throw them in your linen closet.  I remember two comments from the days when those bed clothes were first making their appearance.  One of my aunts said, "Well, of course your linen closet will never look neat."  And the fiance of a friend, already in his own apartment, told his beloved, "If you get those sheets there will be no wedding."

Steph

« Reply #1433 on: October 11, 2010, 06:19:48 AM »
P edlin.. As an old and experienced house buyer and seller.. I have a little book about annoyances in a house that prospective buyers and sellers should note.. One of the things is folding the bottom sheet and gives instructions, then take the top sheet,, both pillowcases, Fold the top up to a point, then put the bottom and the pillowcases. Roll them up.. and boom.. instant tidy. Put them in your linen closet along with a special way to fold towels.. Amazing. You can take a closet you would rather not open and turn it into a thing of joy.. Then in clothes, group by sleeve lenght, then color and boom.. again easy to show . Prospective home buyers love to look at neat closets. Sort of silly, but quite true.

nancymc

« Reply #1434 on: October 11, 2010, 09:54:26 AM »
I have just started an new author(new for me that is).  Her name if Linda Fairstein and the book is "The Bone Vault"  - It says "One of the best crime fiction writers in America"   I am finding it rather slow going, though it is interesting reading about the Metropolitan Museum of Art.    But I am thinking of putting it aside has any one else an opinion on this writer?

Steph

What is the special way to fold towels, mine are in a stack and I aways need the one at the bottom result - an avalanche

Nancy

mabel1015j

« Reply #1435 on: October 11, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
Nancy - my list of "books read" says I read Fairstein's Lethal Legacy and I liked it, but I couldn't tell you what it was about........too many books, too little memory ........ :D

I started Tom Perry's Vanishing Act last night, .......interesting style, don't know yet whether I'm going to like it........Jean

Oh yes,....... I looked up L L and i remember that the characters were interesting and it was a good story about the NYC Library. I'd read more of Fairstein......Jean  

Frybabe

« Reply #1436 on: October 11, 2010, 11:31:20 PM »
Just ran across a new TV series, Hardcover Mysteries. It is being shown on the ID channel which is a channel devoted completely to true crime. The show is about the crimes that inspired various novels. The first episode featured David Baldacci and the murder that inspired him to write Absolute Power. It was about the death of Mary Pinchot Meyer in Washington, D.C. in 1964. It will be broadcast again at Midnight Eastern time. Next weeks' show will feature a Lisa Sala-something or other. I didn't entirely catch all of her last name. Monday's at 9pm Eastern. Here it is Comcast's channel 111.

Steph

« Reply #1437 on: October 12, 2010, 06:39:46 AM »
Fold towel lengthwise, then fold the two side lengthwise into the middle.. Then fold in half. You have a nicefolder front to put in the linen areas. They stack nicely and look tidy.. When selling a house, this helps keep the mess from appearing.. I love the sheets since it keeps the sets together and makes it easier to pick up an entire set without worrying.
I love Thomas Perry..
Linda Fairstein. I read her, but she is very very big on research and each book is an education in some part of NYC.. Makes them sort of lecturing in spots.

nancymc

« Reply #1438 on: October 12, 2010, 08:42:58 AM »
Thanks for the tip about the towels.  I agree about Linda,  I must admit I am tempted to skip a paragraph or so, but then feel guilty, I do not know why I should feel guilty after all I should be able to read only what I find interesting or entertaining.

Nancy   

Frybabe

« Reply #1439 on: October 12, 2010, 10:02:57 AM »
My Mom was a hotel maid when she met my Dad in Bath, England during the war. She always insisted that we fold the towels "the correct way" as you have described, Steph. Warm and fuzzy thoughts of childhood.