Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897335 times)

mabel1015j

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #1480 on: October 18, 2010, 09:18:56 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

Castle is on tonight at 10EST.........after DWTS........Jean

Steph

« Reply #1481 on: October 19, 2010, 06:23:36 AM »
I would like the JUmble type with the word and will look for it on my free apps... That is the most amazing app.. Gives you all sorts of things that others have invented and listed..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1482 on: October 19, 2010, 03:36:36 PM »
MABEL: rats! I had company yesterday, and didn't check in here. Oh well, next week.

Steph

« Reply #1483 on: October 20, 2010, 06:08:07 AM »
I cant believe I am such a fool, but I actually traded for The Scarpatta Factor.. Hmm. still self absorbed. Benton still making secrets of his entire life and Lucy being wretched.. Oh well. the story is intriguing at this point.

Babi

« Reply #1484 on: October 20, 2010, 08:33:35 AM »
 I think it was the Scarpetta/Lucy relationship that finally ended it for me.  I just got tired of the
whole thing. Scarpetta was always finding some reason to lash out at her niece, despite her declared love and devotion.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #1485 on: October 20, 2010, 11:37:52 AM »
I mentioned last week that I had stared Perry's Vanishing Act and tho't is was an interesting new idea for a story. Well, by last night I was more than half way through it and I think I am giving it up. The first half of insight into the Native American community, the strategy of how she planned for people to disappear were interesting to me. But, as he tries to explain why the first guy was killed, his writing is confusing and uninteresting to me. .......Jean

Steph

« Reply #1486 on: October 21, 2010, 06:15:20 AM »
yes, Scarpetta and Lucy are still in some sort of odd relationship. Lucy is even more paranoid.. The actual plot is interesting, although I am having problems with where the heck we are going.
Sorry you dont like Perry. You might like the stand alones. They are quite different.

ursamajor

« Reply #1487 on: October 21, 2010, 08:13:32 AM »
IMHO Cornwell has just about worn Scarpetta out.  Not very interesting any more.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1488 on: October 21, 2010, 09:52:11 AM »
Just finished Donna Leon's newest Willful Behavior with her Guido Brunetti.  I think it is one of her best.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1489 on: October 21, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »
I enjoy Donna Leon's books, mostly for her descriptions of Venetian life.  It never occurred to me, for example,  before I read her, that Venetians would of necessity shop daily - because they don't have cars to load up with a weekly shop.  I love all the details about the food too, and often think of Paola making her coffee on the stove when I'm warming up the milk for mine (though sadly my view isn't quite of the Dolomites).

The thing that irritates me most about the novels is Paola's rich family - it so handily provides the connections that help Brunetti to solve so many crimes - but I suppose it would be quite difficult to resolve everything without some kind of short cut.

Rosemary

mabel1015j

« Reply #1490 on: October 21, 2010, 06:29:19 PM »
More books for my TBR list........lol

I'm reading Point Blank by Catherine Coulter, one of her FBI series. I like those characters and find her books fast and pleasant to read. This is only my third, so thank goodness, i've got many more to look forward to.

I also just finished another Eliot Roosevelt book, Murder in Georgetown. He seemed to deliberately put in more "known" personalities w/ descriptions of their behaviors. That's the fun of reading them for me. Most of those people are dead, so i think he can give us the scoop w/out getting into  trouble, altho i sometimes wonder if Eleanor was as blase about some things as he makes her. He does go directly at her relationship w/ Hick in this book. He quoted what i assume was a letter she wrote to her which was very affectionate, but then has FDR saying she should not be concerned about what people are saying about them, that he and all those around know that they are just very, very good friends. ..................jean

Steph

« Reply #1491 on: October 22, 2010, 06:11:05 AM »
Eleanor went to boarding school in the era that girls had very passionate relationships with other girls. Anyway, she never told , so the world will simply guess forever. I liked her..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1492 on: October 22, 2010, 02:18:32 PM »
"Murder in Georgetown" is one I missed, and I thought I had read them all!

It was one of the other books that has Eleanor wandering into Franklin's bedroom while he's in bed with his secretary and calmly making plans for the day. I don't think the family appreciated his portrayal of them.

Babi

« Reply #1493 on: October 22, 2010, 05:05:47 PM »
 JEAN, it occurs to me that perhaps Elliot prefers to believe his Mother was blase, rather then think she was hurt.  I think she must have often been hurt, but learned to put the best face on
it that she could. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #1494 on: October 23, 2010, 06:33:59 AM »
I often wondered about Eleanor and Franklin as far as marriage went. His Mother definitely did not approve, but she was Franklins choice and I am sure he depended on her and sent her off on her many missions.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1495 on: October 23, 2010, 12:45:38 PM »
When I mentioned that Eliot makes ER rather blasé about somethings, I wasn't referring to FDR or ER's lives. In this book their are stories about a prostitute and about Joe Kennedy's dalliances and other sexual issues. And in each case ER responds more like a 21st century first lady than as a "Victorian-raised" woman. The interesting thing is that I'm ready to believe his characterizations of his other famous people, but am suspicious of his characterizations of his mother.........lol ..........Probably says more about me than Eliot.........Jean 

mabel1015j

« Reply #1496 on: October 23, 2010, 04:36:33 PM »
For those of you who like jig saw puzzles and like to play "games" online, here is a fun site i recently found.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/your-shot/jigsaw-puzzles

They are national geographic picstures. You have a couple options - they will show you the pieces in there proper "vertical/horizontal" positions, or you can scramble them to make it harder, and there are other options...........enjoy............jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1497 on: October 23, 2010, 05:14:57 PM »
That was fun!! I've been doing puzzles instead of taking care of business! I saved it to play with again later.

Steph

« Reply #1498 on: October 24, 2010, 06:31:00 AM »
I actually think that Eleanor was in fact a very very advanced lady for her time. She seemed to have an acceptance for all sorts of people and situations.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1499 on: October 24, 2010, 08:33:40 AM »
thanks, Jean - I like doing the puzzles online, but haven't found one I liked in a while.   :D
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #1500 on: October 25, 2010, 06:13:05 AM »
I like the games online where you have to find a whole bunch of things in a picture and they are mixed in and very difficult sometimes.. Sort of good for my concentration.

nancymc

« Reply #1501 on: October 25, 2010, 07:26:49 AM »
Jean

Why did you share the jigsaw puzzles with us, how are we to get any work done.......only joking

Have just finished my first - great fun. 

Nancy

Tomereader1

« Reply #1502 on: October 25, 2010, 10:54:20 AM »
Steph, I love those "hidden object" games on-line!  Sure are a test of your eyesight though.  And sometimes if I go back and play again, I forget where something was that I had already found before!
Short term memory, where are you?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #1503 on: October 26, 2010, 06:30:37 AM »
O h yes, I sometimes can be asked three times for the same thing and still never remember where it is.. Still I enjoy it.. Amazing how you can hide items in plain site. Finished the Scarpetta Factor.. Oh darn.. same old villain. I hate it when they do that.

Babi

« Reply #1504 on: October 26, 2010, 08:48:24 AM »
  And sometimes the object has been moved to a different location, too.

I'm reading my second 'Jane Whitefield' book, and still getting so much
enjoyment out of the background.  Imagine my surprise to learn that when America entered WWII the Iroquois Nation also formally and officially declared war against Germany. I love it!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1505 on: October 26, 2010, 03:22:55 PM »
"Hidden object" games"? I'm afraid to ask.  I'll never get the bills paid!

Tomereader1

« Reply #1506 on: October 27, 2010, 01:22:45 PM »
Hidden object games:  You see a picture, a little side box with a list of objects (which are in the picture, but some are more hidden than others!) when you've found all those, it moves to another scene with more hidden objects.  Fascinating, time consuming, and for me, fun as all heck!  Love 'em.  I'm on AOL, so they usually have several.  Once you've finished a couple of levels, they want you to buy the game.  But I don't.  Just keep playing, the ones they offer on line FREE and always allowing some time to pass before I play the same game again.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #1507 on: October 28, 2010, 05:52:35 AM »
I bought two of the games in the last two years.. I can play either over and over to my surprise.. You can try to beat your time in them and that is fun as well.
Opened a Faye Kellerman last night for a little bit. This has been a busy week and I confess that the IPAD does hold me captive with lots of silly games.

Babi

« Reply #1508 on: October 28, 2010, 08:30:33 AM »
  A crossword puzzle book, or one with acrostic puzzles and cryptograms, can use up
a lot of my time, too.  And, I don't have to wait until the computer is free.  ;)
  I've just started "The Coroner's Lunch", which was recommended here.  It's the one featuring
a old man, about my age, who is coroner in Laos. I think I'm going to enjoy it.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1509 on: October 28, 2010, 09:41:36 AM »
John works crossword puzzles, and I work the crostics and cryptograms.  I get the big books of crostics,  used, from Amazon.  Amazingly, I've only gotten one that had any puzzles worked in it.  My mother did them, and I "took over" when she died.  I don't know anybody else (in person) who works them.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mabel1015j

« Reply #1510 on: October 28, 2010, 12:38:58 PM »
Have any of you read Ben Rehder's books? I picked up one last night at the library titled "Holy Moly" because of the name. The setting is Texas and it is humorous. I've only read about 10 pages, but I think I'm going to like it. Apparently there are about half a dozen with those two word titles.........Jean

Steph

« Reply #1511 on: October 29, 2010, 06:08:21 AM »
I will check him out.. A sense of humor is lovely in detective stories.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1512 on: October 30, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »
My computer has been down for two days, and I felt like my arm had been cut off. Good to be back.

I think I suggested "The Coroners Lunch." Let me know what you think.

I'm a crossword puzzle worker. Every day, I call a friend who lives on the other side of the country and we work the New York Times puzzle together. She does it paper and pencil: I do it on my computer. I subscribe to it for $38 a year, and I get a new one every day, plus their acrostics etc.

We mystery readers are people who like puzzles, don't you think?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1513 on: October 30, 2010, 03:24:16 PM »
There are two cryptograms at this site (free) - and they change daily.
http://wordzap.com/enigma/enigma.asp

nlhome

« Reply #1514 on: October 30, 2010, 03:29:21 PM »
Babi, I very much enjoyed the Coroner's Lunch and one other book by that author. The setting and time was most interesting.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1515 on: October 30, 2010, 04:11:41 PM »
Oh yes, I like crosswords - try to do the Guardian one (and usually fail), also do any others that come my way - Radio Times, Oldie (v difficult), etc.  I love the idea of doing them with someone on the other side of the country.  My mother has done the Daily telegraph puzzle for as long as I can remember, and my mother-in-law is a genius at the Guardian one.

I recently read a book by Sandy Balfour called "Pretty Girl In Crimson Rose", which is about his lifelong addiction to the Guardian crossword, and also his early life in S Africa (he now lives in London).  It is a fascinating book, in the course of which he meets several of the Guardian setters - I had no idea before this that the papers actually have crossword editors who reject puzzles with too many anagrams, etc.  There are also "classic" and more modern styles of setting.  Incidentally, I seem to remember that the answer to the title is "rebelled", as in pretty girl = belle, crimson = red, and rebelled = rose.

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1516 on: October 30, 2010, 04:19:42 PM »
Do you all know the Crossword Puzzle Lady mysteries? Some of the puzzles for them were done by Seniornetter Manny Novotsky.

And there is an English mystery writer who has crosswords in his books, but I just can't think of who. Does anyone know?

English crossword puzzles are completely different from American ones. I can't even understand them, much less do them.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1517 on: October 30, 2010, 11:33:08 PM »
Parnell Hall has crossword puzzles in his book, but I don't think he's British.  But I see that he is now writing Sudoku mysteries as well.  I'll definitely have to check those out.  I don't do very many crosswords, but Sudoku is part of my daily routine.  It's also part of my nightly routine and eats into my pre-bedtime reading. I don't know what would happen if I started in on crosswords also.  Though that subscription to NY Times puzzles sounds mighty tempting.

Have you seen Wordplay, the film that featured the annual crossword puzzle contest in Stamford, CT.  A really good movie.  And JoanK, didn't Manny construct the puzzle for the contest?

Steph

« Reply #1518 on: October 31, 2010, 06:13:28 AM »
I used to do a lot of crosswords, but now seem not to be that interested. I do love Soduku,, but with pencil , not on line.

Babi

« Reply #1519 on: October 31, 2010, 09:09:06 AM »
I think you're right, JOANK.  I know I love trying to solve the mystery before the end.
It's another form of puzzle, isn't it?
  I love all kinds of word puzzles.  Math is not one of my loves.