Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897333 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #1440 on: October 12, 2010, 05:38:22 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

Fry: I hope the Lisa Sala-something is Lisa Scottoline. She writes about women lawyers in Philly, and the old Italian neighborhood.

Frybabe

« Reply #1441 on: October 12, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »
I found the website with the promo and listings. Yes, you are right Lisa Scottoline in in Episode 2. Check out the episode listing to see all the authors and which episode they are on.  Besides Baldacci, Harlan Coben, Kathy Reichs and Joseph Wambaugh are the only ones I know.

http://investigation.discovery.com/tv/hardcover-mysteries/

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1442 on: October 12, 2010, 06:01:29 PM »
Wow! I saw a couple more, but they went by so fast. I don't think I get that station, but I'll look.

Frybabe

« Reply #1443 on: October 12, 2010, 06:18:12 PM »
Joan, on the right hand side of the site, about midway down there is a clickable "Episode Guide" that takes you to a description of each episode. Right below it is "Get the Full Schedule", which gives a listing of when the episodes (and repeats) are scheduled. Baldacci is scheduled to play again at 3PM Eastern on Sunday the 17th. The new episodes are on Monday nights at 9pm and 12M Eastern.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1444 on: October 12, 2010, 09:48:04 PM »
Castle had a tribute to Stephen J. Cannell at the end of the show last night. He did guest appearances at least twice on Castle. I just looked at the show's website, there actually are 2books available by "Richard Castle", "Naked Heat" and " Heat Wave"........i wonder who the real author is?......might be interesting to check them out........Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #1445 on: October 12, 2010, 11:15:58 PM »
Jean, I fell asleep on Castle last night so I missed a good bit of it. Bummer! It isn't shown on On Demand here, and I don't think they rerun it during the week. Guess I will have to wait for a rerun.

PS: I looked around a little on the net. They are really keeping tight lipped about who ghostwrote the books. I saw on several that James Patterson has also been on an episode or two. Since I've only just started to watching Castle, I haven't seen any that include Cannell or Patterson.

Steph

« Reply #1446 on: October 13, 2010, 06:28:39 AM »
When you move as much as I did as a wife,you learn a lot of tricks to sell a house.. Closets are a big point. They need to be neat and uncrowded.. I dont agree with many real estate agents about no personal pictures, but will say that if you have anything small and valuable.. it is best to remove it..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Tomereader1

« Reply #1447 on: October 13, 2010, 11:14:05 AM »
Patterson and Cannell appeared in Castle episodes where Castle's poker group is playing.  It is usually only about a minute or so that you see them!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1448 on: October 13, 2010, 03:22:04 PM »
I couldn't find the station on my cable TV guide, but I was hurried. I'll look again.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1449 on: October 13, 2010, 04:06:30 PM »
Castle is on whatever channel where you receive the ABC television network.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #1450 on: October 14, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »
If Patterson was on anything, you can bet that one of his ghost writers did it. The man is a corporation, I dont read him anymore..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1451 on: October 14, 2010, 02:33:32 PM »
I guess I got lost somewhere in the discussion. What/who is Castle? Is that the name of a show?

Tomereader1

« Reply #1452 on: October 14, 2010, 03:25:21 PM »
Yes, the name of the show is "Castle", which is the name of the lead character, who supposedly is a fiction/mystery writer.  The show does have a crime, police work, and all the main characters are well-played.  The PD lets Castle follow along on cases, and he is often out of his element, but does provide a mystery writer's take on some of the crimes.  There is a cute "chemistry" thing going on between Castle and the lead detective, Beckett, who is  attractive and she gets so perturbed with Castle most times.  As a very successful mystery writer, he has a posh apartment, lives with his daughter (teenager) and his mom.  Good interaction betwixt the three of them.  He is just a kid at heart, and is always playing some kind of games either alone or with his daughter.  This is a very cute, (I would rate it PG) series, with nothing to offend anyone.  Like most of the cop mysteries today, it hasn't a plethora of "gore".  Actually one of the better network shows, though not "intellectual"
but definitely entertaining.  As I said earlier, on the ABC Network.  This is the second season.  

André Maurois

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1453 on: October 14, 2010, 04:04:58 PM »
Sounds like my kind of show!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1454 on: October 14, 2010, 08:36:24 PM »
I've never seen Castle, but Netflix carries the past seasons on DVD.  So, first season is on my queue, but I just haven't had time to watch them yet.  I'm working my way through The Wire, Desperate Housewives, 7th Heaven and Boston Legal.  Castle is there somewhere.  It's a great way to watch TV.

But if you think that's bad, my son and DIL are working their way through Law and Order.  Not in this lifetime.

marjifay

« Reply #1455 on: October 14, 2010, 08:41:40 PM »
I haven't seen Castle.  But the "nothing to offend anyone" description sounds a bit boring.

My favorite (and the only cop-type show I watch) is NCIS.  Love the rather subtle humor.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Tomereader1

« Reply #1456 on: October 14, 2010, 08:46:26 PM »
"nothing to offend anyone"... to me that means no gratuitous sex scenes, no foul language,  no multiple shootings.  If that's boring, bring it on!

*I also said it wasn't "intellectual".  May be that's boring to some.

André Maurois

roshanarose

« Reply #1457 on: October 14, 2010, 10:53:09 PM »
In Australia we have all the series mentioned.  My favourite is "Criminal Minds" - I am sure you have it there as well.  Like NCIS the characters all interact well.  Instead of Abby, the scientist in NCIS, there is  Baby Girl (can't remember her onscreeen name) who does all the nerd work.  I am sure you must have it.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Frybabe

« Reply #1458 on: October 14, 2010, 11:22:04 PM »
Speaking of Law and Order, Pedln, BBC America is showing Law and Order: UK. I don't know when it is scheduled. I found the show listed on Comcast's On Demand. It is a bit less, shall we say, combative than the original. I like it. I lost interest in the original, never cared much for SVU, stopped watching Criminal Intent when they began alternating characters, and haven't even bothered to check out the new Law and Order: Los Angeles.

NCIS has become my Mom's favorite evening show. Even George is watching the reruns showing on USA. It is one of my top watches too, along with CSI (Las Vegas) and CSI:NY.

I've watched a few Criminal Minds, but can't get into watching serial killer hunts every week.

Gumtree

« Reply #1459 on: October 15, 2010, 04:18:22 AM »
We don't watch many of the crime series on TV. -  what we see in the real life news bulletins is enough crime for me. Having said that we do watch the laid back, New Tricks and Midsomer Murders and also like courtroom series like Judge John Deed.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

salan

« Reply #1460 on: October 15, 2010, 05:32:02 AM »
I love Castle.  The characters have personality and they make a great ensemble!  It also has humor; which most of the new shows do not have.  I watch Bones for the same reason.  I also like NCIS and NCIS Lost Angeles.  Got tired of all the Law and Order series and quit watching them.  Is anybody else disappointed in the new season on tv?  Seems like they are all "cops and robbers" and lawyer based programs.  Enough is enough!
Sally

Steph

« Reply #1461 on: October 15, 2010, 06:22:22 AM »
I love netflix and like Pedlin, I catch up on shows.. Just now I am on the fourth season of Six Feet Under,, but just finished Boston Legal. I also bought and watched Glee and just passed it on to one of my daughter in laws.. Then she will pass it on to the other daughter in law.
I like Bones.. Used to watch NCIS, but stopped after the accident. I am not yet able to watch too much violence without getting flashbacks.

nancymc

« Reply #1462 on: October 15, 2010, 07:05:45 AM »
We get Castle here in Ireland, I love it the interaction between Beckett and Castle is humourous and I love his mother and daughter.   New Tricks is another favourite and has anyone seen "The last Detective" it is great.

Nancy

jeriron

« Reply #1463 on: October 15, 2010, 09:14:36 AM »
frybabe  I am so glad you mention Law and Order UK on BBC America. I didn't even know about it. I see it's on tonight. I am really anxious to see it. I used to watc that station a lot and they haven't even been showing any of the UK mysteries anymore.

I agree about Midsomer Mysteries,New Tricks and Judge Deed.. New Tricks has been showing on PBS here unless they feel like pulling it to put something else on.  Right now new (for the US)MM and Pie in the Sky came out on DVD and there is a wait on Netflix for them.

I've wanted to see The New Detective on DVD but it doesn't have CC. I would be happy to watch Inspector Morse again, but there again it has no CC.

Babi

« Reply #1464 on: October 15, 2010, 09:18:34 AM »
He has another writer that writes along with him now and it shows.  It was boring
and predictable. 
  It does seem ofte when a writer becomes so popular that anything with his name on
it will sell, the writer seems to try to 'cash in' by churning out as many books as
he can, using 'co-writers' to up the quantity. Never mind the quality. It strikes me
as dishonest, frankly.

MARYPAGE, I haven't heard of a single one of those titles.  Where did you find them?

NCIS, CSI and Criminal Minds are all favorites of ours. I do like the subtle interplay
among the characters, and the close bonds that form...like family.  We like Castle, too.
Not as intense as the others and the mother and daughter add the perfect touch to the show.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Tomereader1

« Reply #1465 on: October 15, 2010, 11:28:38 AM »
roshanrose, on Criminal Minds, "baby girl" is Garcia.  Somehow I think maybe her first name is Penelope, but that's just guessing on my part, as they never use her first name.  We watch NCIS, CSI (except for the Miami one), Criminal Minds and Castle.  As far as the "new shows" go...most of them can go...as far as I'm concerned.  When they come up with a new show, that has good characters, plot, etc. it usually runs half a dozen episodes, then they kill it off.  I try not to get too attached to anything new!!  I think the networks would be better served to get rid of some of the dreck that's on, like Cougar Town.  That new detective show "The  Good Guys" is totally dumb.  I don't mind lawyer shows, but they need to be "good" like L&O used to be.  The one that's on now, "The Whole Truth" is pretty darn good, but there are cancellation rumors already about it, and "The Outlaw" with Jimmy Smits is already on the chopping block.

André Maurois

roshanarose

« Reply #1466 on: October 15, 2010, 11:28:53 PM »
Ah Yes Tomereader - thanks for that reminder.  I think her first name is Penelope too.

I had withdrawal Symptoms when the ABC ended its series of "Midsomer Murders".  I felt like I had lost an old friend.  Hope it comes back soon.  The English seem to have the knack, there is no doubt about that.  The Australian detective/cop shows still have a long way to go.  I watch "City Homicide" which has good characters too, but I am a little bit over the "experienced; sensitive but not showing it; tough; mentor type; grizzled; senior cop who never seemed to make it to the top ranks.   Too stereotypical.  

The British cop series that has been running since TV was invented "The Bill" is about to come to an end.  I just don't know how I will be able to cope on Saturday nights now. 
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #1467 on: October 16, 2010, 06:08:04 AM »
I will h ave to check out Castle.. I watch more net flix than tv.. Besides I adore my IPAD and have two addictive type games on it.. Whew.. And I can catch the New York Time Editors choice every morning.. Yum..

jeriron

« Reply #1468 on: October 16, 2010, 08:54:53 AM »
Watched Law and Order UKfor the first time last night (thanks to Frybabe) and enjoyed it. It had captions. I tried watching it on demand earlier in the day but there wasn't any captions.  So guess I can't back track and see the older ones.

Babi

« Reply #1469 on: October 16, 2010, 10:14:54 AM »
Ah, TOME, I see I'm not the only one that 'excepts' the Miami one. Probably for
similar reasons. We also agree on "The Good Guys". May I say I admire your taste?  ;D

ROSHANA, I really, really wanted to see "Misomer Murders" since I also enjoy that
English kncack. Unfortunately, like too many British made series, there was no closed
captioning. (sigh)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

jeriron

« Reply #1470 on: October 16, 2010, 12:23:59 PM »
Babi

If you are trying to rent them from Netflix. The 2008 series has Captions.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1471 on: October 16, 2010, 12:44:50 PM »
WOW! I didn't know there were so many good mystery series. I see I'm way behind. Are you all watching Masterpiece Mystery on PBS?

I'm a sports junkie, so by the time I watch PBS at the Met, baseball, football, or basketball, I'm waaaay over my tolerance level for TV.

roshanarose

« Reply #1472 on: October 16, 2010, 09:48:10 PM »
babi and jeriron - You both mention "captions".  Can you explain what they are please?

Steph

« Reply #1473 on: October 17, 2010, 06:27:03 AM »
Captions are printed words at the bottom of the screen. Used if you cannot hear well.. or sometimes because the actor or actress mumbles. I used them all the time before the new hearing aids.

Babi

« Reply #1474 on: October 17, 2010, 08:52:24 AM »
Oh, thank you, JERIRON. I'll look those up right away.
ROSHANA, 'captions' are the closed captioning that prints out the dialogue for those
of us who can't hear.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1475 on: October 17, 2010, 03:21:37 PM »
Tome, I went to the Castle site on the Internet and watched the latest episode on my computer.  I enjoyed it.  I downloaded an iPad TV Times app so now I can check on what is on and when (for a change).  I didn't know about Castle so thanks for mentioning it.  I also enjoy The Mentalist which isn't as violent as many of the shows and also has a little humor.

Steph, found aother fun free game for the iPad called Word Abacus.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1476 on: October 17, 2010, 06:08:37 PM »
glad to be of help, flaJean.  I made the big mistake of downloading a free word game to my kindle last night.  Couldn't bring myself to quit.  Probably 2 hours past my bedtime!  It was a free game, as opposed to any that you pay for. 

André Maurois

roshanarose

« Reply #1477 on: October 17, 2010, 09:45:58 PM »
Thanks for the explanation(s) Babi and Steph.

Steph

« Reply #1478 on: October 18, 2010, 06:13:23 AM »
Oh I do love the free download games on the IPAD.. My current passion is for matching colors and clicking to explode.. Addictive and silly.. Best kind of stuff.. But I do love the new free download from the New York Times. Now I have the whole paper.. Who knows for how long.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1479 on: October 18, 2010, 12:27:59 PM »
Steph, my free game is titled: "Every Word".  They give you six or seven letters, scrambled, and you try to make as many words as you can.  Only if you get the "longest" word do you get to go to the next round.  There is a similar game on Games.com on line.  Can't remember the name of that one.  Still fun to play though!

André Maurois