Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 866537 times)

Steph

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #200 on: October 28, 2009, 07:42:38 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK    

Oh heavens yes, both of my sons adored the song and the show and would sing it at the drop of a pin once upon a time.. Ranked right up there with the Kung Fu, David Carridine thing.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Frybabe

« Reply #201 on: October 28, 2009, 10:40:41 AM »
 ;D

Steph

« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2009, 08:02:24 AM »
 :o Smileys are fun.. Found an old Peter Lovesy.. This one about marathon walking?? in England of course.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2009, 11:05:31 AM »
Would anyone like to discuss a true mystery by Douglas Preston (of Preston-Childs fame)?s

I got the book from the Library (see the Nonfiction folder) and, although I haven't read it yet, it looks very interesting and we can delve into Florence, Italy and all its wonders while we are it?

Let me know.  You can read the Introduction to the book here:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/LITTLems/monster_of_florence_chap_1.pdf

mrssherlock

« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2009, 01:05:42 PM »
Ella:  What a find!  I'll be there.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #205 on: October 29, 2009, 02:53:32 PM »
I've ordered the book from Amazon.

Steph

« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2009, 07:45:01 AM »
True crime. I like some of it, but I am not fond of Preston. Hmm..

Babi

« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2009, 08:53:31 AM »
 Definitely liked the introduction, ELLA.  I'll look into it some more.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #208 on: October 30, 2009, 11:27:59 AM »
Stuart Woods "Cold Paradise":

"Stone Barrington hunts his most clever nemesis yet—a master of disguise and deceit—in this latest thriller in the New York Times--bestselling series.
Cop-turned-lawyer Stone Barrington has the street smarts, dry wit, and debonair charm his fans love, and Palm Beach, the setting of his new adventure, is his most glamorous scene-of-the-crime yet. In Cold Paradise, he becomes reacquainted with a case he thought was buried years ago, and must settle romantic entanglements that haunt him still."

I am enjoying this book with the outrageous Stone Barrington.  He is egotistical and attractive to many women.  He is handsome and smart.

mrssherlock

« Reply #209 on: October 30, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »
William Tappley wrote many books about Brady Coyne, dentist, fisherman, amateur detective.  He appeared in one of Phillip Craig's Martha's Vineyard series.  Now he's embarked on a new path.  Bitch Creek is the name of the little stream outside Stonewall (Stoney) Jackson Calhoun's rural bit of paradise in rural Maine.  Stoney is living his days one at a time; he has recovered from a lightening strike but his memory consists of only incoherent momentary flashes, like stills taken from the recording of his life.  You'll like Stoney, he's quite appealing.  When his life turns upside down he finds hidden resources from his past which aid him in getting through some extremely harrowing events.  First of a new series; I'll be watching for the next installment.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2009, 08:31:33 AM »
CONNIE & JACKIE, both those book sound good, tho' I generally find
egotistism turns me off.  I suppose I can always enjoy the story while gently scoffing at Mr. Barrington's egoism.  After all, he is a lawyer; egoism is almost required for success.  ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2009, 09:01:29 AM »
Babi:  Stoney Calhoun is anything but an egotist.  He is a modest, gentle man and one I would enjoy knowing.  Reading about his life which is devoted to fly fishing provides me with a small measure of the raison d'etre for his fellow hobbiests if one can call an obsession a hobby.
Jackie

Babi

« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2009, 09:11:34 AM »
 It was Connie's hero, Stone Barrington, who was the egotist, JACKIE.
Interesting that both of you introduced protagonists called Stone or
Stoney within minutes of each other.  I've got both authors noted down
for the book list I keep in my purse for reference. Very convenient.

Steph

« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2009, 09:23:43 AM »
I dont like Stone Barrington, but will look for the other Stoney..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2009, 08:39:25 PM »
The Story of Civilization has been active as a discussion group for eight years. We are now talking and reading about Italy during the Renaissance years.

Things happen in this period of history that change the way of the world forever. They are happening again in our discussion.

Come share with us this discussion of one of the most significant periods in the history of the world. You'll be glad you came and you will gain in understanding why we are where we are today.

On Sunday, we will have a celebration of eight years of discussion, and of making our way in only eight years from living in caves to the glories of the Renaissance.

For Seniorlearn members, go to http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=64.360

If you’re not a member, go to http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?action=help

Babi

« Reply #215 on: November 01, 2009, 07:47:45 AM »
I would also like to read the William Tappley book, but I don't find it in
the catalogs for my local library or the county library,,,which is a surprise.

Steph

« Reply #216 on: November 01, 2009, 09:44:08 AM »
Just finished a seriously light cozy.. Lori Avocato.. OK,, way too much drooling over males..

salan

« Reply #217 on: November 02, 2009, 08:24:14 AM »
I have been watching and enjoying the new TV series "Castle".  It is based on Richard Castle and Nicky Heat.  I haven't read any of Castle's books, but I like the characters on this series.  Have any of you watched this or read Castle's books.  If so, what do you think?
Sally

Babi

« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2009, 09:07:13 AM »
 My face is red, SALLY.  :-[    I hadn't even realized the series was based
on an actual author and character.  Obviously, I haven't read any Richard Castle books.

Steph

« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2009, 08:06:57 AM »
New Idea.. Did not know that Castle was a book series. Who wrote it??

Tomereader1

« Reply #220 on: November 03, 2009, 09:20:51 AM »
Castle is NOT an actual author.  There has been one book out, which is kind of a cross-promotion for the TV series.  Go to Amazon.com and type in Richard Castle, and read on.  The character, Richard Castle, is supposed to have written 26 best sellers, etc. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2009, 03:03:08 PM »
Carolyn Hart is now writing a series where the detective is a ghost. I picked up the second one (Merry Merry Ghost -- the first it Ghost at Work) yesterday. So far it's light, but fun. I guess we're not the only ones tired of her "Death on Demand" series. Although this one could get stale with time, too.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2009, 03:07:15 PM »
Tomereader: I saw what you did on Amazon. the book was apparently written after the series, like the Monk books (I confess to reading those). Is Castle a good series?

Babi

« Reply #223 on: November 04, 2009, 08:30:14 AM »
 My mistake, TOMEREADER. I misunderstood Sally's post.

A ghost detective?  How does that work?  Even if he/she solves the
crime, who does he/she tell?

Steph

« Reply #224 on: November 04, 2009, 08:41:09 AM »
May look for the ghost series. Thing is the author tends to like to be cute.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #225 on: November 04, 2009, 03:06:58 PM »
"Who does she tell?"

Good question. I don't know -- haven't gotten to that yet. I'll let you know.

Steph

« Reply #226 on: November 05, 2009, 08:11:53 AM »
David Liss is classified as a mystery writer,but not sure why..But I am in love with the Coffee Trader..
Also scored a Beverly Connor yesterday in a used book store. She is hard to find in the older books. I like her very much and to my surprise so does my husband.. He loves Bones on TV and after all that is what her heroine is?? A forensic Anthropologist.

Tomereader1

« Reply #227 on: November 05, 2009, 10:35:13 AM »
Glad you and your husband are enjoying Beverly Connor.

I have two that I requested from the library, on hold for me, but they don't open the brand new branch till Saturday, so I'm waiting impatiently.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mrssherlock

« Reply #228 on: November 05, 2009, 10:40:30 AM »
I felt like finding a pot of gold when I discovered a Connor which I had missed.  Be sure to read Scattered Graves after Dead Hunt.  Don't start it at bedtime or you won't get a wink of sleep it is so fast paced.
Jackie

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #229 on: November 06, 2009, 08:35:21 AM »
I just finished this book and found it quite good and very different. 
"Mistress of the Art of Death" by Ariana Franklin.  In searching for more books like this and found that is listed as the 1st book of a  3 pt. series.  It is listed as historical and suspense filled fiction.

"In medieval Cambridge four children are murdered. The Catholics blame the Jews who are placed under the protection of the King Henry VIII.  They are living in the castle of a local king. The king sends for someone to do a scientific investigation into the deaths. The person sent is an Italian woman doctor/pathologist, who was trained by her father.  But in medieval Cambridge she must conceal her true identity to keep herself safe." CMH
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

mrssherlock

« Reply #230 on: November 06, 2009, 09:13:08 AM »
Oh, that sounds good.  It's on my library list now.  On a lighter note is the series by Patrick F McManus about the sheriff of mythical Blight County in Idaho.  Bo Tully has followed his father and grandfather into the office of sheriff even though he studied art in college and sells his oils and watercolors through a dealer in LA.  If you remember the old Maverick TV series you have an idea of this author's  deft touch with dialog.  I'm laughing, not on every page, but a good number of them.  Since there are several books in this series I'm looking forward to more hours of glee.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/patrick-f-mcmanus/
Jackie

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #231 on: November 06, 2009, 09:48:42 AM »
Thanks for the McManus mention - I've ordered the first in that series from the library.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #232 on: November 06, 2009, 02:52:36 PM »
Made a note of Ariana Franklin since it sounds great.

mrssherlock

« Reply #233 on: November 06, 2009, 04:14:30 PM »
My daughter gave me this one to read.  It's light but has an interesting concept.Abby Cooper:  Psychic Eye by Victoria Laurie  It's a fun read.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/victoria-laurie/
Jackie

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #234 on: November 06, 2009, 06:27:35 PM »
For some reason, I couldn't post here but now see that I can.  I definitely want to get one of the books by Patrick McManus.

I am currently reading "Wrongful Death" by Robert Dugoni.  It is excellent IMO. 
http://www.robertdugoni.com/I have read all of his books and find him an excellent writer.  His stories take place in the Seattle area and I learn much about that area in the process including the rain.  Usually I just see on the evening weather report that the jet stream had gone North of us in the Bay Area and dont think about what that means to everyone north of us.  We have a drizzle today but could use some of that rain.

Babi

« Reply #235 on: November 07, 2009, 08:10:59 AM »
 More interesting sounding authors and books. Too bad I can't read as fast as I can make lists.   :)

Steph

« Reply #236 on: November 07, 2009, 09:25:08 AM »
Babi, I am with you.. I make lists and even check them out on my swap club and order many of them.. But when I will get around to reading them all.
Talk about annoying.. My little rescue, Gracie is a very good dog most of the time. However last night before I went to sleep, I was reading as always. I was really weary and closed the book, laid it on the floor and went to sleep. Woke this morning to a gnawing noise.. Reached down and met a small nose and lots of licking. She had taken the cover off the book and ripped it to pieces.. Hmm. no more books on the floor.

mrssherlock

« Reply #237 on: November 07, 2009, 09:53:52 AM »
One of my two cats (or maybe the other), has an appetite for library books; two books so far have bitten the dust, so to speak .  Some books, as I'm reading, are so enticing that the prime suspect won't leave then alone, sniffing and nosing, trying to climb into the space between the cover and the binding. 
Jackie

mrssherlock

« Reply #238 on: November 07, 2009, 02:17:29 PM »
Well, call me slow.  FF has, under each author's name, the country of that author.  Click on the country and you get a list of authors from that country.  I was looking up Fred Vargas who writes the charming, quinticenstially French, stories about Inspector Adamsberg I first read in The Chalk Circle Man,  the Inspector solves crimes not through logic but using his right brain, i.e., daydreams and musings.  So if you are seeking authors by nationality, FF is once again the first place to look.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/
Jackie

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
JACKIE: I had no idea!