Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897943 times)

rosemarykaye

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #3600 on: April 15, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

but - ?  what a cliffhanger!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3601 on: April 15, 2012, 03:02:15 PM »
"Building a Log Cabin between Meals" turns out to be non-fiction. her husband has diabetes, and keeps himself active by ---- guess what? Building a log cabin with her (while carefully planning out what he should eat). Quickly got too technical for me.

ursamajor

« Reply #3602 on: April 15, 2012, 06:20:12 PM »
I am really late with this comment.  Have been away from the forum.  I have a cucumber tree in my yard (in east Tennessee).  It has just finished blooming.  One or two blooms today.  It is a deciduous magnolia.  The squirrel really likes the magnolia cones that follow the blossoms.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3603 on: April 15, 2012, 07:12:12 PM »
these are the things that look like cucumbers, I assume.

my magnolia trees are just finished blooming, too. but they don't get the cones.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3604 on: April 15, 2012, 09:19:05 PM »
Ursa - do they look like magnolia trees and do the flowers smell as good as magnolias?

I'm just finishing "Laced" by Carol Higgins Clark. I've enjoyed all her books w/ Regan Reilly. She and Jack are in Ireland on their honeymoon in this one. There are actually 2 mysteries going on simultaniously in this one. It was a good read.

jean

Steph

« Reply #3605 on: April 16, 2012, 06:03:33 AM »
I 'll bite.. what is Atria's bus tour about? Almost done with The Confessor.. Ah the intricate plot..and Chiara..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Frybabe

« Reply #3606 on: April 16, 2012, 08:05:57 AM »
I am close to being done with Return of the Dancing Master. The lead character is a policeman, like Wallander, but is much more morose and eratic. The driving force for his behavior apparently is that he has cancer and is very much afraid that he will die. So, he is doing risky and eratic things, constantly changes his mind, and then broods over it while waiting for his first radiation treatment. The initial murder and the subsequent copy cat murder are interesting, though, so I am finishing the book to find out who did the second murder.

nlhome

« Reply #3607 on: April 16, 2012, 09:01:12 AM »
Steph, I'm guessing it's a marketing tool - bringing the authors out to the readers? It's mostly going to independent book stores, although I see one B&N store on the list. Started in NY and ends up in MO. There are two stops in Wisconsin, Milwaukee and Madison. See http://mysterybustour.tumblr.com/where

I just thought it was interesting and would have been fun to attend, had either stop fit in my schedule. I enjoy meeting authors, even those whose books I haven't read.

ursamajor

« Reply #3608 on: April 16, 2012, 01:06:14 PM »
The flowers on my cucumber tree are similar to those of the southern magnolia but about one tenth the size.  They only last one day, but smell very sweet.  My tree bloomed over a period of about two weeks,  few flowers each day.

Steph

« Reply #3609 on: April 17, 2012, 06:26:22 AM »
Found the Elizabeth Peters published in 2010 and paper in 2011. Had not read it. Instead of going forward in time, she has gone backward. Hmm.. Oh well, Amelia makes me laugh and generally learn things I did not know about archeology.

roshanarose

« Reply #3610 on: April 18, 2012, 01:01:16 AM »
Off Topic - re Steph's post about paying for seats in Venice/Italy.

You shouldn't have to pay a penny for a chair in Greece.  How undemocratic is that?  On the contrary I have sat for hours in tavernas just chatting to the locals trying to improve my Greek, chatting to charming  tourists from all over the world etc.  Greece is very laid back.  I did however have to pay for a beach lounger but it wasn't a lot.  Just order something to eat with your coffee.  A simple and common meal is grilled freshly caught fish, greek salad (the real thing), a small baugette, and a small bottle of Greek beer.  And if possible find a taverna overlooking the habour (limani) or sea (thalassa), complete a book or two by Lawrence Durrell (no one writes about Greek atmosphere like Durrell) and buy a stack of postcards to complete and send home.  Whhat I have written is about some another happy experiences I have had Greece.   Both times I went solo.  The only way to travel for me.  You will be surprised by how many people you meet..
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3611 on: April 18, 2012, 03:00:06 AM »
Roshanarose, I really admire you for travelling solo.  I absolutely agree that you meet far more people that way, but having recently travelled to the US alone (and for me it was only the actual travelling that was solo) I don't think I would do it again - I just worry too much.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #3612 on: April 18, 2012, 06:28:12 AM »
I  dont mind the actual travel alone, but I dislike going out alone to eat at dinner, etc. And I want to know that the hotels are safe and that can be aproblem if you dont know the area. As much as I love London, will never go alone, just too too big a problem for me.

MaryPage

« Reply #3613 on: April 18, 2012, 09:53:50 AM »
Roshanarose, I envy you Greece!

I shall never get there now, to those isles of Sappho.  I should like to have stood behind Xerxes on his throne and watched the Battle of Salamis.  I would have liked to have seen the three hundred Spartans at Thermopylea.  I named a teddy Leonidas when I was in high school.  Always the romantic, I.

In my fantasies I have traveled by schooner from isle to isle covered with shining white houses with bright blue doors.

I own the wonderful DVDs of Visions of Greece.  Sigh!

How did they EVER build those monestaries on top of those towers of stone in the mountains?

roshanarose

« Reply #3614 on: April 18, 2012, 11:27:03 AM »
MaryPage - I loved the story about calling your teddy Leonidas.  I am sure that the name was entirely appropriate.  Some of my pets and animal acquaintances have also had classical names.  I had a budgerigar called Icarus; a possum called Persephone; a cat called Oedipuss; a cat called Fengari (Modern Greek for moon - Selene is the Ancient Greek word); a Siamese cat called Seti (Egyptian Pharaoh's name); and a beautiful Abyssinian cat called Zenobia.  I remember them all - I am inclined to get a bit teary when I think about pets who have passed over.  My present cat is called Roxana Taj which is also Greek-related.  Roxane was the wife of Megalexander, he met her while he was travelling across the top of Afghanistan, specifically Bactria.  Taj is a common Afghan name.  All the Afghans I have spoken to know about and admire Alexander, but some countries' inhabitants are not so fond of him, even to this day.   

Steph - A good trick about dining alone and not feeling sociable is to have a late (substantial breakfast) and a sort of lunch/dinner meal about fiveish and then adjourn to your room with a good bottle of Macedonian wine.  This should lay you out until about nine when you can make your shaky way to the closest beach.  Have some grapes and vegetables to tide you over until lunch time.  This arrangement has worked well for me in the past.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3615 on: April 18, 2012, 11:57:12 AM »
I have always traveled alone for the past 40 years.  Enjoy it as one does meet such interesting people. And a few crazies.   Many people travel by themselves.  Not quite as safe as it use to be but if one is aware of what is going on around them will be fine.
Places have changed a lot.  Specially Europe.  Many more different Nationalities one never use to see.  Lots of pickpocketing goes on now everywhere it seems.  Have to put things in safe places.

I don't travel by driving in late night anymore.  Use to enjoy it when traffic not to heavy.  Not the safest thing now.

Steph

« Reply #3616 on: April 19, 2012, 06:16:51 AM »
I would guess that a good deal of my problem is 51 years of traveling with my love. I miss his comments on the world over my shoulder and laughing at the oddest things..So possibly t some point, I will be willing to try again alone..Who knows.. I travel in the US by myself..Dont drive much at night, but love to drive.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3617 on: April 19, 2012, 03:41:50 PM »
I know. Dick and I used to love to travel together.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3618 on: April 19, 2012, 10:27:33 PM »
Steph, I don't mind eating alone when I'm travelling and don't know anyone. Usually I'll take a book along, or now my Kindle.  What I don't do, is eat dinner out by myself when I'm home. Breakfast and lunch are fine, lots of people do that, but I think I'd feel awkward if I was eating dinner alone and people I knew came in to eat.  Silly, but  .    .    .     .

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3619 on: April 20, 2012, 03:23:47 AM »
I have no problem with the eating out, it's all the travel things that worry me, like what if I lose my passport? what if the plane crashes and my children are left motherless? - as you can see, I'm totally rational...

I agree Pedln, during the day is a lot easier - I positively enjoy taking myself out for coffee, usually take a magazine or my writing, depending on what the place is like.  At my favourite place, Smeaton Nursery Tea Room, you can sit on the sofa for hours and no-one minds in the least.  The coffee shops in North Berwick have a faster turnover, so I don't feel able to hang around so long in those.  Am now waiting for summer so I can sit on the beach and write.  This morning we are having an absolute deluge; took large umbrella to station to try to keep Madeleine and all her art work dry (it would be the day that that all has to go in) - managed to turn it completely inside out (it wasn't the wind, there isn't any - just my total incompetence) and had to abandon it at the end of the lane and pick it up on the way back.  Bodes well for the rest of the day!

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #3620 on: April 20, 2012, 06:17:56 AM »
Ah Rosemary,, your image is wonderful. I have a Winnie the Poo book where Christopher Robin gets his umbrella inside out and loved the picture..
I dont mind eating alone. like Ann for Breakfast or Lunch.. Once in a very great while, when I am home, I go for an early dinner on Sunday.. Generally eat in the bar at a nicer restaurant. That of course is what I miss.. Nice restaurants.. I do every day type places, but not any special one. Just cannot bear being alone in places that he and I loved.. When traveling in Europe, I just hesitate  to eat alone at night because if my uncertainty of what is around me. If there are nice places either in the hotel or in the same block, then I am OK.. but not if I feel I would need to walk by myself at night.

Babi

« Reply #3621 on: April 20, 2012, 09:12:24 AM »
 Very sensible, STEPH.  A strange area is no place to be out walking after dark.  A well-lit, pleasant park would be nice, but not that many hotels are parkside.  I don't travel anymore (sigh), but when I did I also found it prudent to keep emergency rations available.  Nothing
like cheese and crackers when you're tired and want to collapse, quietly.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3622 on: April 20, 2012, 09:35:28 AM »
Yes, and isn't it great to lie on your hotel bed, eating delicious nibbles from a deli, watching TV and knowing that you don't have to go anywhere - you can just curl up and go to sleep afterwards?  I know you wouldn't want to do that every night, but when you have had a hard day's sightseeing it can be bliss.

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3623 on: April 20, 2012, 06:38:44 PM »
There's a nice used bookstore/cafe here where you can go and sit for hours drinking coffee and reading. Too bad it's not near me.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3624 on: April 21, 2012, 01:07:43 AM »
Joan, that sounds like my kind of place! 

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #3625 on: April 21, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »
JoanK,
Did you ever get to Acres of Books before they closed their doors?  Fun place to spend a whole day or week but no coffee.

Powels, in Portland, OR, has a lovely cafe within their walls.  We spent some time there with our granddaughter 6 yrs ago.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3626 on: April 21, 2012, 12:47:11 PM »
We have lost 3 large bookstores in my town.  2 of them with comfy chairs, Coffee shops and Internet connection.  Could stay all day if needed to.  Would have book signings, poetry readings and Music  by groups on weekends.  Also lots of classes for children. We have 2 great libraries that do just about the same thing but lots of people liked the book stores better.  Just so sad to see them go.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3627 on: April 21, 2012, 01:38:48 PM »
PatH says she goes to Portland to see her daughters and grandchildren, but I know it's really to go to Powells! She always comes back with stacks of books. ;)

No, I hadn't heard of Acres of Books.

Steph

« Reply #3628 on: April 22, 2012, 06:44:25 AM »
When we were traveling in the RV, we always looked up used book stores in each area. I have visited some of the lovliest places and found local books especially that were wonderful.. Dont much care about the coffee.. Just a nice stool to sit on and something to hold my collection to buy.. Sigh.. we have one used book store quite close, but she is seriously into romance, so the selection is always sparse in mysteries.. My paperback swap on line is my best source of used books, but it is so much fun to browse.. Franklin has several used book places..So I am excited about that.

salan

« Reply #3629 on: April 22, 2012, 06:47:50 AM »
Steph, How does your on line paperback swap club work?  It sounds like something I would be interested in?  What is the web site?
Sally

Steph

« Reply #3630 on: April 23, 2012, 06:05:30 AM »
www.paperbackswapclub.com
or www. paperbackswap.com
 I have been in it forever. You have to put up books to swap ( paper,hardback,CD,Tape, large print) I think they wanted 12 to begin. They gave you 3 free credits.. Then from there you are on your own. You pay when someone asks for a book to ship it. In return when you ask for a book, they pay for the shipping. They have literally everything.. You can also wish for a book.. and get put on a list.. and chat ( I never do) put up boxes of books, etc.. Fun and it is amazing the variety. I like science fiction and fantasy and that is a category that is snapped up right away when you put it up.. I have 40 credits just now.. one credit for each book and two credits for CD.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3631 on: April 23, 2012, 01:20:57 PM »
Only thing is that Postage is so expensive anymore.  I use to send copies of Magazine to friend. Now cost almost as much as buying it.

Steph

« Reply #3632 on: April 24, 2012, 06:06:55 AM »
Costs me around 3.00 per book and nowadays you cant buy many used books this cheap any more.

Babi

« Reply #3633 on: April 24, 2012, 09:06:30 AM »
 And what's with the insured packages now?   It used to be that for a small sum you could insure
a package against loss or damage.  The other day I needed to mail a package that I valued at
$40.00, and found that put the package in a category that raised my mailing costs another
$15.00.  $15. for $40. coverage??   I didn't insure it, and I can only pray it arrives safely.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marjifay

« Reply #3634 on: April 24, 2012, 01:14:32 PM »
I just gave up on Reginald Hill's DIALOGUES OF THE DEAD..  Someone here recommended it (Babi, I think) and I appreciate that. This was the first of his Dalziel and Pascoe books I've read.  I liked the humor and very clever writing in parts, but it had too many characters to keep track of and the author just got too long-winded for me to want to read the rest of the 424 pages to find out who dunit.  I think I'll try one of the early, shorter ones one of these days. 

Right now I'm reading a couple of stand-alones by John D. MacDonald, KEY TO THE SUITE and THE EXECUTIONERS (made into the movie Cape Fear).  I like MacDonald's humor,
i.e. "He marched with the others down the endless corridor from the plane into the airport, thinking that the air age is turning us into a race of pedestrians."

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

MaryPage

« Reply #3635 on: April 24, 2012, 09:22:43 PM »
I'm always disappointed if someone does not get as tickled by Reginald Hill as I do.  He is one of my top ten favorite mystery writers.  I find him just terribly clever.

But different strokes for different folks!  That's a Good Thing, too!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3636 on: April 25, 2012, 05:35:33 AM »
Marjifay - So true - on the rare occasions that I have had to negotiate Schipol, I've always felt that I'd had a week's exercise just getting to the plane.  Then there's all those motorised carts transporting those who can't walk - I'm amazed I haven't been flattened by one of those en route.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #3637 on: April 25, 2012, 06:35:24 AM »
I love Schipol because of the polite ladies who examined my suitcases. They are always so pleasant and smiling.. Upstairs the men who question you are police, but sort of stone faced..

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #3638 on: April 27, 2012, 11:56:32 AM »
I finished Cat's Claw by Albert.  It is her latest and is more about her friend, the police chief, than about China Bales, but I really enjoyed it (although a little slow in the beginning).

I don't remember in which forum the discussion concerned Miss Read, but I got several of her books from the library and thoroughly enjoyed them.  The last one I read she has just retired from teaching.  Am looking forward to reading more of her good fiction.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3639 on: April 27, 2012, 12:25:50 PM »
I gave up on Lisa Lutz' The Curse of the Spellman's. She kept saying things like "i'll explain why John is sleeping in my apartment latr," "i'll tell you more about that later." Geeze, just get on with the story.

I picked up a Margaret Moran that turns out not to be a Judge Knott book. I just looked at the cover flap and it's set in the 19th century. Haven't read any of it yet, but curious.

Jean